Aug

line-up complete

NYT: Representative Nancy Pelosi today announced her three appointees to the special congressional committee tasked with finding ways to reduce federal budget deficits, even as a Republican member of the newly formed panel expressed an openness to consider possible tax increases.

Ms. Pelosi’s choices complete the 12-member panel, which is evenly divided between both the parties and the two houses of Congress.

All three members named by Ms. Pelosi hold leading roles in the party: Representative James Clyburn of South Carolina, the No. 3 House Democrat; Representative Xavier Becerra of California, vice chair of the Democratic Caucus; and Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, the senior Democrat on the House Budget Committee.

… One Republican member of the committee, Representative Dave Camp of Michigan, said today that he would not rule out possible tax increases – a central point of contention in the recent debt talks and something many economists contend will be a necessary element to any successful bipartisan proposal.

“I don’t want to rule anything in or out,” Mr. Camp told Reuters. “I am willing to discuss all issues that might help us reduce our short and long-term debt and grow our economy. Everything is on the table, until we as a group rule it out,” he said.

Ms. Pelosi, in her statement, described Mr. Clyburn as a consensus builder with experience on the Appropriations Committee; Mr. Becerra as a senior member of the Ways and Means Committee who “placed the interests of America’s working families first”; and Mr. Van Hollen as a Democratic leader in the deficit-reduction talks led by Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.

The three Democratic members will join three House Republicans, Jeb Hensarling of Texas and Mr. Camp and Fred Upton, both from Michigan, on the committee. The Senate will be represented by three Republicans, Jon Kyl of Arizona, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Rob Portman of Ohio, along with the Democrats Patty Murray of Washington, John Kerry of Massachusetts and Max Baucus of Montana.

69 Responses to “line-up complete”

1. August 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm

We’re going to get you your gavel back, Madam Speaker.

2. August 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Nice picks Mz. Nancy from Cali. :)

• August 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm

lisa, I do not know Berraca. Do you know anything about him? The loonies are going to be furious that Nancy has put Chris Van H. on the committee. You know he is dirt because he is connected to that slimy DCCC. Haha!

Did anyone see Lawrence lose it last night because “unimportant” states like Washington and Patty Murray, were put on the super committee? He seemed to feel that super committee members should have been from NY and Cal.

• 9 Jax6655
        August 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Hey Dorothy,
        Actually O’Donnel’s issue wasn’t that the states were “unimportant” but that they represent a very small proportion of the population. i.e. senators that represent only 15% of the population (and lean Red) have the power to make decisions that affect 85% of the population.

They are from states with the lowest population.

And he’s right.

• August 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm

That’s just plain silly. Patty Murray is much sought after for her leadership ability and the fact that she is a true moderate. She’s wicked smart and can stand toe-to-toe with anyone. She also is relentless in her ability to protect our troops and veterans. If there are going to be cuts to the Pentagon, I want her there making sure the rank-and-file don’t get shafted.

• August 11, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hi Tien Le. I think Patty is a terrific choice. She is down to earth and understand the needs of the middle class and poor. There are many republicans in Washington who vote for her because of her work with veterans and making sure that those who have less are not left out in the cold.

• 12 Jax6655
            August 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Excuse me. I think you’re misunderstanding my comment.

I never said or implied that there was anything wrong with any of the dems chosen. Nor did I compliment or criticize any of the choices. All I did was clarify LOD’s point to Dorothy that the states they represent are only 15% of the US population and their decisions affecting 85% of the country. He didn’t say the states were ‘unimportant’ just that the population was low and tended to be more conservative.

Not silly. A fact.

• 13 nathkatun7
            August 11, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Absolutely, Tien Le! I am just sick of the PL who think they know more than veteran Democratic leaders like Speaker Pelosi. Patty Murray is so grounded that she will look out for the interests of ordinary people and especially those who have sacrificed so much to protect the country. I think Speaker Pelosi made excellent choices.

• August 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Jax, I am aware of what he was talking about, I just think that California and NY are very liberal. I consider myself liberal, but those who fall outside of my particular frame of mind, have a right to have their voices heard too.

• 15 Jax6655
            August 11, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Where are you coming from?

The problem is that 85% of the country’s VOICES WON’T BE HEARD if the committee members only represent the point of view of 15% of the population.

• 16 Sue in Minnesota
              August 12, 2011 at 1:29 am

I would think they would be considering all Americans not limiting their representation to their state constituencies. They are addressing national programs. Call me naive….I do not completely agree with LOD ‘s argument.

• August 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Corporation are people under the screwed up law. Smartest thing the GOP did was create the Tea Party and make them hate President Obama so much that they’ll work against and vote against their own interests just to spite him.

• 20 dotster
        August 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hilarious take from Wonkette on Romney’s defense of his good friends, corporations. Comments are priceless too:

• August 11, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Dotster, I read the comments and ALL of them hate Obama. Nasty stuff. No balls, no brains, he is the corporations, we knew he was a chicken. It is a progressive site, right? If this is what we have to fight, I am worried. Many of them talking about him being a Muslim.

• August 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Wonkette is popular enough to get troll attention – any political site that doesn’t moderate and gets big enough will be over run.

• 23 theo67
              August 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

They must have cleaned up after you left – I didn’t see any anti-Obama comments on there just now. All laughing at Mitt.

• August 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Oh, I often see anti-Obama comments at Wonkette. That’s the main reason I stopped visiting them months ago. I know that the website is based on satire and everything is pretty much snark, but the underlying messages in the comments are sometimes very anti-Obama. Many of the people commenting seem to “like” The First Lady, but quiet a few come across synical when it comes to the President.

• 25 theo67
                  August 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever gone to Wonkette (consciously) before, so I bow to your superior knowledge on this one.

• August 11, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Actually theo, that could be because there were very few who supported the president. I guess there is a reason that I prefer sites with at least some moderation. LOL

• 27 57andFemale
        August 11, 2011 at 2:47 pm

NOT law. Supreme Court.

When Alexander Hamilton envisioned the role of corporations at the dawn of this nation, they were supposed to serve the public good. It was for this reason that they were given rights not afforded regular people, in order to grow the country and serve the commons. Profit, sure, as long as they maintained their contract with the People.

That has been whittled away for about a century (I believe) the latest being Citizens United.

They should not have the rights of individuals to free speech unless they are also personally liable for the actions of their corporations.

3. August 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Van Hollen wants VA rates applied to Medicare, Becerra was on the Simpson-Bowles and voted no, though Clyburn is on record in the past supporting raising SS age. Clyburn was on Biden Deficit committee that came up with the initial 1T in cuts.

Baucus is the key here it seems.

August 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Great choices Speaker Pelosi. (Yes she is still Speaker in my mind) Crossing my fingers that we get something productive out of the super committee.

5. August 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Yesterday I was really inspired by Tally’s letter. We do need to stand together and make a fuss. One of the things that often happens is that we discuss so many topics it can be hard to focus the power of this blog on a single issue.

With that said, I have been intrigued by the concept of complaining to the sponsor of a program and then CCing the star of the show and the network.

So I went digging.

I found this web page which has a long list of companies and ways to contact them.

Next I googled advertisers of the Chris Matthews show, and found a list which was produced by Tea Partiers in virginia

I am not sure this list is accurate however it was interesting to see what I could find in 5 minutes of googling.

So I have a proposition for our fired up Tally and all her friends here.

Tally – set a target and lead us in a charge to attack it.

Remember when Rachel got all kinds of heat for her piece on President Obama and gay marriage in NY?

Our attack may not be as big but it will still make a difference.

I have a few suggestions, but Tally I will defer to your judgement since I have a feeling you are one tough cookie (I mean this in a good way)

I would suggest we keep up the attack for at least one week, Tally can remind us daily who we are targeting.

We will need to do a bit of research on who the advertisers are, if 2-3 folks could volunteer to watch the show, list the advertisers and then report back that would be great. We may also find that the advertisers on live TV are different than those who advertise on the Web.

So – I am ready to share my views with sponsors of programs that attack the President, let’s combine our efforts so we make a bigger impact, and Tally , thanks again for the letter.

6. 36 Ceb
    August 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm

This is. Good team; I am hopeful.

7. 37 Doris
    August 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm

President to speak at 2:40 p.m.

• 38 Doris
      August 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Audio only. Hopefully, the cable stations will pick it up live.

• 39 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
        August 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Don’t hold your breath Doris. Maybe we might be surprised though and see a 20 second clip from somebody in the MSM on PBO’s visit. I will be checking in later to see if we have a full video of the speech. Off to work folks. Love ya’ll! TODers, TOAITRers, and OFAers forever!! :grin: Obama/Biden 2012!!

• 40 Doris
      August 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

C-SPAN will carry event live.

8. August 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm

If Corporations are people and Mitt Romney the robber baron that he is put many companies out of business after savaging them for pieces – is Mitt Romney a murderer?

9. August 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I am really upset at people like those folks on morning joe. The idea that “the President isn’t a leader” is so much crap!! The idea that he shouldn’t go on vacation is crazy.To have to face the lies and distortions would be so hard. I don’t understand how Obama deals with it day to day.

• 46 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      August 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

We have a special person in the Whitehouse. He has been sent by Devine Providence. That is the only way you can explain someone that is able to tolerate the level of ABUSE he gets. Believers in a HIGHER BEING (GOD :wink: ) will understand. We must enjoy and appreciate the 8 years we will have had him in office. Obama/Biden 2012!!

• August 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm

His advisers are basically laughing this line of attack off and it’s getting the talking heads more pissed. Basically he’s the only one still in Washington right now and they’re attacking him for a vacation he’s going to take, to a Presidential retreat location. Why not harp or Reid or Boehner? Look at the work schedule the President keeps compared to Congress. Look at the schedule he keeps compared to past Presidents. President Obama would have been working for three weeks in Washington while Congress was out for their annual month long recess. Oh but they do hard constituent work on their recess…Right.

• 48 theo67
        August 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Great points – it’s so infuriating. He’s the only one in Washington!! And Congress just finished a session where they were only “working” three weeks per month, and only passed less than 20 bills, most of which were post office namings. Ridiculous!

• 49 sjterrid
      August 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I just called MSNBC/NBC left a message complaining why all their news shows have people on complaining about the President taking a vacation, while it is The Speaker of the House who sets the schedule for the house and they are there for two weeks, and go home for two weeks, and yet they made sure that someone is there so the President can’t make any appointments.

10. 50 57andFemale
    August 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm

If corporations are ‘people’ then we strip them of their limited liability and the other advantages of incorporation. I want every effing CEO to be personally responsible for the actions of their corporation, financially and criminally. If they can pour 45M into 6 state recall elections in WI (that is, by the way, what they do with their tax cuts) then they can take personal responsibility for what their corporations do.

11. 51 tally
    August 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

OMG. A sane Republican. And no pigs flying outside my window.

• 52 theo67
      August 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I like Camp’s words – let’s hope he doesn’t succumb to pressure. We only need to get two of the Repubs to vote with Dems, and then the suggestions get an up or down vote in Congress. One more sane Repub – I know it’s a tall order…

• August 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Hi Tally

I have a post about your letter yesterday upthread, it would be great if you could help lead us in the charge. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

• 54 HZ
      August 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Hi Tally, loved your commentary yesterday. Did you see my comments. Great takent you have Tally. Thanks again so much.HZ

12. 55 GGail
    August 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

That photo (thanks Chipsticks!) speaks volumes of the respect shown on Leader Pelosi’s face for POTUS! As a California resident, I am proud of Leader Pelosi and of her constant political career. We OWE her a lot! I’ve sent her several emails of thanks.

• 56 theo67
      August 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I also like that she’s holding his hand in both of hers. They respect each other – that’s clear. Great team!

13. 58 roh108
    August 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Nancy Pelosi is amazing, i am a huge fan of this Great leader.

14. 59 GGail
    August 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Leader Pelosi’s press release on the committee and on her committee appointee’s:

15. 60 PoliticalJunkessa
    August 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

The whole idea of a Super Committee annoys me greatly, but I like Speaker Nancy’s picks. Get it done!

• 61 theo67
      August 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I think the Super Committee is the only way to get things done in Congress right now – and the triggers are tough enough that they will force GOP to make a choice to serve only one of their masters – Defense contractors or lobbyists/Grover Norquist/Corporations. It’s brilliant.

16. August 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I forgot to thank Tally for the inspired post. Tomorrow night I am facing a group from my high school years at a social event. I have had some spirited exchanges with one of them and have realized the majority are ultraRepublican, well-to-do, homophobes, conservative Christians, retired and pretty damn self satisfied. You know the type. I expect to be confronted, and have prepared myself with facts— like 45,003 illegals were deported in 2010 for drug related issues compared with 36,053 in 2008. George W. raised the debt limit 7 times, American companies are sitting on 2 trillion in profits, and banks on 1 trillion, getting that money into circulation would help the economy, but they really don’t want the economy to get better right now. Michelle Bauchman was the only one dumb enough to actually say that a high jobless rate helps her campaign. The rest of them think it– and so on. Wish me well.

17. 65 lexusv
    August 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm

At least with Clyburn there we will know what everyone is doing and sayind in the meetings. He is pretty strong willed also, so we should be able to count on him to look out after the masses. Good choices.

18. 66 carolyn
    August 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Others have spoken about the connection between the president and Speaker Pelosi. I can see it and feel it through the pictures. I can hardly wait for her to be speaker again!!! I know one thing, when she is, Congress will have to work!!! She has a strong work ethic.

19. August 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm

LOVE my Rep Nancy and I love the fighting spirit here to get that gavel back to her. She and PBO have a very, very strong relationship. We need her back in that position to get anything done for us.

• 68 HZ
      August 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm

We are going to do it, Meta and Carolyn. I also have felt that they have a very respectful and strong relationship. That is what we need again. Plus, Nancy Pelosi works very hard for the people. I love her, and we will get the gavel back in her hands. From our mouths to God’s ears. Amen.

20. 69 HZ
    August 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm

TOD Family, I am on the computer while watching this Iowa State Fair with these republicans and this is boring as hell. If this is what American thinks will win against our President, they are really clowns. these people are awful. There is no look of what American’s fabric looks like in real life. This is shameless.

RSS Steve Benen