Aug

‘an ongoing project’

President Obama (speaking at a fundraiser in New York Thursday night):

Democracy is messy and it’s tough, and our system is broken to a large degree. And that makes this election more important than 2008. 2008 put us in a position to do some extraordinary things and I can’t be prouder of what we did. But in 2008, I also think everybody figured, we get through this one election and then it’s all done. And then, after two and a half years, and it’s been tough and there have been setbacks, there are a lot of folks who suddenly feel deflated, this is hard, I’m not sure I believe in change. (Laughter.) They’ve still got the Obama poster but it’s all kind of frayed. (Laughter.) And Obama is grayer — (laughter) — he doesn’t seem as cool. (Laughter.)

But in some ways, that’s a healthy thing, because what that means is in 2012 … we realize this is about us. This is not about my election; it’s not about one person. It’s about competing visions about where we’re going to take the country. Are we going to have a country that’s inclusive? Are we going to have a country that gives opportunity to everybody? Are we going to have a country where everybody is sharing sacrifices but also sharing opportunities? Are we going to have a country in which what we project to the world is not just our military might, but it’s also our capacity to champion human rights and women’s rights and feed folks and help them become self-sufficient?

And those competing visions are going to be determined in this next election as much as they ever have before. And so I hope you guys aren’t tired because we’ve got a lot more work to do. And this is an ongoing project.

41 Responses to “‘an ongoing project’”

1. August 12, 2011 at 7:53 am

Goooood Morning Chips, everyone!!

OK, two things. On my regular morning walk, the national news and local news on my radio station led with PBO calling for jobs and for people to call their reps, tell them to stop fooling around (my words) and do the people’s business by creating jobs. That was music to my ears.

Then a guest on the Tom Joyner Morning show, Karen Hunter in her interview with Jackie Reed, who was subbing for Roland Martin, talked about how some in the Democratic party were displeased with PBO and that they are urging Hillary Clinton to primary him. She further said that Hillary could win PBO, which I thought was pure bunk and I will share that with her later on twitter. She said that not only has PBO been sabotaged by Republicans, but by some in his own party. Nevertheless, she talked about how PBO would beat the Republicans — all of them.

Hope everyone’s day is a good one and will be brighter today.

• August 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

Well africa, I really hope Hillary is smarter than that. Because I am telling you and I will be telling the Democratic Party that if someone tries to primary President Obama, I will not vote for anyone beside Barack Obama. For so long we have been loyal Democrats, Black Americans have stayed with the Democratic Party when others race have lefted, and this is how they do us. I am not kidding if anyone try to pull this B.S. I will not vote for anyone but Barack Obama. If I’m being foolish then call me foolish. This have been part of the problem all along, some of the Democrats have not been totally behind this President. Well I’m here to say I am totally behind him. He has my support 100%.

• August 12, 2011 at 8:14 am

I think I sound alittle piss, I am. Good morning everyone.

• August 12, 2011 at 8:18 am

Anniebella, I am not worried about Hillary or anyone else primarying PBO. I almost want to dare them. They will split this party like they’ve never seen before.

I already tweeted that lady and told her that she was right about people in PBO’s own party sabotaging him. But that all the stuff she said about Hillary was bunk.

Go figure.

• August 12, 2011 at 8:46 am

africa, I am not worry about that either, but I just want these people to know how I feel. I will not support any one but President Obama. And I have a feeling I’m not alone.

• 7 prettyfoot58
          August 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

ANOTHER DISTRACTION……

STAY FOCUSED AND ON POINT…

The President oulined what has to be done in his speech in Michigan….

and he talked about what is at stake in the next election…about the competing visions for America at a fundraiser in NY ….

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so all this chatter from the press…from the professional left….(white and black),,,,the Teapubs….has to be kept in perspective…..

the American People want JOBSSSSSSS….they want JOBSSSSSSSSSS……

and that is rightly where the President has placed his emphasis….and so should we….

WE CANNOT LET THEM CONTROL THE NARRATIVE…..THE NARRATIVE IS ABOUT JOBSSSSSSSS……..

PASS THE JOB BILLS THAT ARE PENDING IN THE HOUSE….THE PATENT BILLS ….ETC….

let us STAY ON POINT…………..

FIREDDDDDDDDDDDDD UP…….READY TO GOOOOOO……

• 8 ChristiMtl
      August 12, 2011 at 8:24 am

Good morning TOD family,

Hey africa, you know what? We’re still waiting for their candidate. It’s been months and months.They are full of BS.
      Bernie Sanders calling for a candidate to challenge the President. PUMA want Hillary. Now Michael Moore wants Matt Damon. Ralph Nader said that it was 100 % sure that the President will have a primary challenger.
      The FDL crowd with their evil queen Jane Hamsher. How many months have they been on that.

And on and on. They have nothing!

• August 12, 2011 at 9:12 am

IOW: ALL of the discontent coming from Democrats are coming from former Hillary supporters.

• 11 edp4bho
        August 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

Plain as day, gobrooklyn.

• August 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm

well gobrooklyn, this Obama supporter, just want to let those Hillary supporters know that if they try this B.S., this Obama supporter will not support anyone and I do mean anyone, let me repeat myself, I will not support anyone but President Barack H. Obama .

• August 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Amen, annie. And I really, really mean that. I’ve had it up to here with the bullcrap! If they try this, we will definitely take to the streets and tear this sucka down. That’s bullcrap! Primary Obama—- Fuck ‘em. :x

• 14 Sue in Minnesota
      August 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

Well what a horseshit message that would send to Americans and the world. Barack Obama is not the problem, the problem is the agenda of the Republican party to become the majority party permanently, and to redefine the American landscape. I swear they are dragging us back to the days of slave labor. Americans need to get in this fight, American exceptionalism is not reality, it is an ideal, and if we don’t do the work to achieve the dream, all that talk about how great we are is hot air, and bullshit.

• 15 edp4bho
      August 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

Morning africa. That dumb ass tried that crap on Rev Al show last week, and I’m thinking…..she is as dumb as I thought she was. Does she really think that black folk are going to pick her over PBO at this stage? There is a minority of black folk who were not paying attention to PBO when he ran, thinking he was going to be their Black Knight, some holding him up as a god, too many never knowing the politics surrounding the election and subsequent duties of the office, having to get things through congress and such. They were too damn emotional about having a black man as President, and not really checking out the devilment to come afterward. Ooh, I am mad as hell at this bull she spoke, and Rev Al never pushed back at her. Hillary would not have been able to do half of what PBO has done….she just has a bigger mouth.

• August 12, 2011 at 11:34 am

Karen Hunter was on Rev Al’s radio show two days ago and implied Hillary Clinton could win- so far she is the only one I’ve heard push this primarying Obama with Clinton BS. Not trusting her at all.. I’ve seen tweets that the PL has been pushing Clinton also. Never forget folks: Clinton ain’t a stupid woman, she couldn’t beat Barack Obama when she had the full force of the Clinton Machine geared up and full on.. she’d never even attempt it now.. it is the PL pushing this silliness. I cannot believe Hillary Clinton is that arrogant. I honestly do not believe for one second that there is a democrat that stupid to seriously consider going up against President Barack Obama- they may be playing the PL to a degree to gain $$$ donations.. but they are stupid to not fear the Obama Machine (US) ;)

• August 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm

and you know, I think Hillary believes in loyalty— hello, she’s still married to Bill— I don’t think you could pay her to run against PBO again……. Now Bill, I would trust that…….man, as far as I could throw him.

• August 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

It’s funny how people seem oblivious to the concept that if you’re going to seriously primary the President, you need to have started several months ago.

August 12, 2011 at 8:35 am

Just reading an excerpt of his call to action statement fills my belly with fire and grit. Those who say this President can’t inspire people with his words and actions are insane. Take away the fact that it’s PBO making that statement and just read the words. It’s filled with passion, conviction, truth, honesty, a sense of inclusiveness, pride in the democratic process, and yes a little humor thrown in for spice. Viva la Obama!

3. August 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

The president’s call to action is exactly right and conveys the real message that he”knows” how you feel and is not trying to fool you that it’s razzle-dazzle that gets things done, but hard, slogging work. This is a real human being with a heart full of caring who is asking for your vote, not some hate-filled poseur like every one of the Republican field, who have no more idea how to run a country than Mr.McGoo. People who throw Hilary Clinton’s name around as a challenger to the president do her a grave disservice. She has worked loyally and with great dedication to serve this administration and she will never turn against the president. It’s hard for me to imagine how people who support her can think so little of her. Any “so-called” challenger will be a flea in the grass and will be crushed before they put one foot forward. I am 100 percent certain that Nader does not know what he’s talking about and hasn’t known since the sixties when his anti-corporate celebrity inflated his ego so much he put himself before the good of the country. Eyes on the prize–focus on the president, support him, contribute til it hurts, work for him, ignore the naysayers and make sure you get out the vote.

4. August 12, 2011 at 9:29 am

Good morning everyone! I ditto everything Jackie said.

5. 26 dotster
    August 12, 2011 at 9:59 am

I agree that this election is going to present the starkest contrast ever. The political divide will be in glaring evidence, all issues on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I just can’t see the American people throwing out all the historical ideals of this country, all the decency and compassion for others. It’s not who we are or have ever been.

6. 28 Mae who love our CIC
    August 12, 2011 at 10:02 am

Former Hillary Clinton supporters may be crazy, but Hillary is not. She does not want to trazel a second road of defeat. Those that want a primary challenger wants some one else to do it, and they are not willing to run against our President. Just a distraction to get people like me to comment about it. Why even entertain this thought. It won’t happen. All they do is complain, whine, complain about absolutely nothing. Paid bullshisters to stir the pot.
    Can not believe that they think the GOP will be offering them any thing different than what they are showing them and have shown them in the past. Just so insane at times. If you want a two class system in this country select the GOP. George Bush left this country in a tragic way and I didn’t hear anyone talking about primarying him after his first term.

Brilliant statement by our President once again. I feel the spirit of his comments. We have to work and work hard.

7. 29 edp4bho
    August 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

You guys have got to read this article I found over at WSY h/t Miranda (hope she doesn’t mind)

Check out the comment from Tom:

• 30 Sue in Minnesota
      August 12, 2011 at 11:16 am

Tom’s comment was very insightful, and I think very important for those of us who are white to ingest and understand. What I witness in President Obama parallels what the commentor Tom articulated.

President Obama is a role model for me as an individual, but I see him redefining what an effective, and better politician looks like.
      I have said before that it surprises me that more of our elected officials don’t take the opportunity to follow his lead…President Obama is through his actions, IMO establishing new standards for those we look to for leadership. I see all kinds a change, some of it very subtle and hard to measure…..but I think in retrospect we will come to better understand the full impact President Obama has made and will continue to make on the effective governance and the culture of American politics, and that he will be largely responsible for a very transformative period in our history. Asking God to keep his back and give us continued strength that we may do the same.

I intend to offend no one, but Barack Obama is IMO, closer to God than most of us. I think of the people in time that I greatly love and admire, Jesus Christ, Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, and I feel that Barack Obama walks amongst them.

Namaste

• August 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

PBO is a very good man and like his mother said, a cross between Ghandi and Einstein. I think this is why the media hates him, because he doesn’t mess up: no Monica’s in the closet, no constant stupidity, so scandals, no drama. That’s why they are latching on to that Politico crapfest story that is patently false. If they can’t find honest to goodness scandal or disaster, they make it up. That’s why they loved the Teapoopers and why they give so much airtime to asshole PUMAS and Pararsite Losers. They hate seeing how good he is so they try whatever they can to see him get down to their base, disgusting level. That’s why they always ask about how he feels about crap. Like that bitch Nora who, after the debt ceiling debacle and PBO’s statement asked Jay: “the president thanked the American people for their support and work, but he didn’t thank congress. Do you know if he thanked congress in private?” WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!!!! Was that heifer for real?!!! The media, repugs and PL are haters that only want a show. They don’t want anything real or substantive. They can go kiss it.

• August 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm

That is such a powerfully rich comment. This historical perspective is so spot on. The greatness of this man and his willingness to endure the humiliation to help our Country is awe-inspiring and so much more than I realized he was capable of. Thank you for sharing this.

8. 33 GGail
    August 12, 2011 at 10:36 am

Good morning TOD family. I SURVIVED THE REPUG DEBATE THAT TURNED INTO A DEBACLE LAST NIGHT!!! LOL!!!

And no Mr. President Obama, I ain’t tired yet! I’m FIRED UP & READY TO GO! I will not be swayed by rumors or even actual figures who think they have a better yo-yo. I’m sticking with President Obama and the rest is just hot air. I will look to see what’s on tap and then work to shore up President Obama by whatever means is required. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

• 34 Sue in Minnesota
      August 12, 2011 at 10:54 am

I applaud you and all here that have such strong constitutions. I tried to follow it on OFA. And your analogy is perfect…they are a bunch of yo-yo’s. May I borrow that?

• 35 HZ
        August 12, 2011 at 11:02 am

Good Morning Sue. You are so correct in your assessment. Sue, have a great Friday. Love you back also, HZ

• 36 Sue in Minnesota
          August 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

Love you back HZ. Are you feeling better with each day? I’ve noticed alot of vigor and gusto, and determination in your comments. You are so important to all of us here, we want the best of everything, especially health for you. Namaste

• 37 GGail
        August 12, 2011 at 8:03 pm

You certainly may borrow yo-yo’s Sue! LOL!!!!

9. 38 HZ
    August 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

Good Morning TOD Family. Yes, GGail, I watched that debate, and they wore me out. All of this stale thinking will drive me to drink. I cannot see myself or the world listening to these people. I even donated after receiving my e mail from Jim about watching the debate and listening for points. Well, my money still goes with the hot , smart as a whip, tall and slender fine, fine, moving forward man now in the Oval Office and will be again after the 2012 elections. We Got This, Okay. I am also Fired Up and Ready To Go for our wonderful President Barack Obama and Biden. The President also has his poll, and you can count on it, they really know how to read them. But you know what really still gives me hope, our President is still honest, faithful to us, get pissed off when they start playing games with the peoples lives, and doing nothing in Washington. He is still the great man we elected in 2008, and we will do it again in 2012. Count on it America. We are In.

10. 39 Obama Grandmama
    August 12, 2011 at 11:30 am

I watched the debate on FOX. I didn’t even know what number FOX was on my cable as I avoid it like a plague. They all were saying their same old talking points. The ideology that got us into this mess. When they talk of executive experience we need to counter it with GW had executive experience too and look where that got us! It would also be good to remember some actual facts about how their state or business faired and was conducted under them. Unless you are talking to someone like my sister-in-law that says something like, “You may have your facts, but I have my lifetime experience.” I am not so quick on my feet so was just flabberghasted when she said that. Next time I might use a Dr Phil quote that says “How is that working for you?”

• 40 Sue in Minnesota
      August 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm

America is not a business. Business deserves governmental support but not at the expense of the social compact. Balance is what we need. If we are only served by business, whose primary function is profit, most of us will soon realize we can no longer afford to ‘live’.

11. August 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Here’s the link to that speech

We have never had a president who spoke the truth to the American people more than President Obama. He talks right to us, from his heart and that incredible mind of his. Wonderful words of truth.