Aug

‘a very presidential friendship’

2004

Pjstar: Forgive Tim and Diana Wheeler if they sometimes slip and refer to President Obama by his first name. After all, the Wheelers are quite possibly the only townsfolk in Alpha to know the leader of the free world on a first-name basis.

“Barack is coming to Alpha!” Tim Wheeler, 53, crowed with a chuckle Tuesday at Caterpillar Inc.’s Building HH, where he is a section manager.

Not that the Wheelers would be so informal Wednesday, when there’s a good chance – yet again – that they’ll get a few minutes to chat with their presidential pal. “We knew him before he was president,” Diane Wheeler, 50, said from Alpha. “We got in the habit of calling him by his first name. Out of respect, now it’s ‘Mister President.'”

Mind you, the Wheelers are no heavy-hitting politicos or deep-pocket contributors. They’re just workaday people who just happen to have the ear of the most powerful man on the planet. And when Obama saunters into the Country Corners Farm Market, the Wheelers stand the best chance of the Alpha’s 671 residents for a presidential one-on-one. It’s a special relationship, stretching from a hardscrabble farming burg to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. “We consider him a friend,” Diane Wheeler said.

The connection comes via son Marcus Wheeler, who in 2004 was a 19-year-old in dire need of a liver transplant. At the time, Tim Wheeler faced the loss of his 28-year job at Butler Manufacturing, which would leave Galesburg the next year. No job meant no insurance.

Meanwhile, Obama, then a state senator from Chicago, was campaigning for a U.S. Senate seat. On May 15 of that year, he made an unplanned stop at Galesburg’s Labor Temple, to talk with 25 local labor leaders. One was Wheeler, of United Steelworkers Local 2629.

When he got a chance with Obama, Wheeler sobbed as he told of his son’s need of a second transplant and expensive drugs. Obama promised to seek help via Medicare.

Two months later, die-hard Democrats Tim and Diana Wheeler flipped on their TV to see Obama address the Democratic National Convention, as John Kerry’s keynote speaker. A riveting speech bolstered his national gravitas, in part with the heartfelt plea, “We have more work to do. More work to do for the workers I met in Galesburg, Illinois, who are losing their union jobs. … More to do for the father that I met who was losing his job and choking back the tears, wondering how he would pay $4,500 a month for the drugs his son needs without the health benefits that he counted on.”

Stunned to tears, the Wheelers vowed to support Obama the next week at a Kewanee rally. Tim Wheeler approached Obama, who immediately said, “I want you to know: Every day I say a prayer for Marcus.” Thereafter, Obama would use the Wheeler story on the stump. Meanwhile, Tim Wheeler got a new job, at Cat, where insurance covered another two liver transplants for his son. In 2006, Obama’s “The Audacity of Hope” mentioned Galesburg several times, including the value of on-the-road encounters with people like the Wheelers: “Those were the stories you missed on a private jet at 40,000 feet.”

Later, they there were more meet-ups. When Marcus had treatment at the University of Chicago Hospitals, his dad met Michelle Obama in a hallway. She said her husband often prayed for the family. Later, as a U.S. senator, Obama gave a speech at the University of Illinois. Marcus Wheeler, en route to a bachelor’s degree in math, got a front-row seat. To start the speech, Obama mouthed, “Hi, Marcus.”

And in 2009, before Obama toured Cat here, Tim Wheeler was picked to join 200 workers to meet with Obama. Through the throng, the president summoned Wheeler for a few personal words for the first time since inauguration.

“How ya doing?” Wheeler asked.

“Oh,” Obama said with a grin, “I’ve been kinda busy these days.” ….

Full article here

108 Responses to “‘a very presidential friendship’”

1. 1 LOL
    August 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

No problem Chip- I’ve read this story like 8 times already. Keep the faith guys….we will persevere.

• August 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

Always, yes WE will… ;)

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together!
      YES.WE.CAN, Again…Obama/Biden 2012!

• 6 Hachikō
      August 17, 2011 at 11:05 am

lawd I’m crying. Will I ever stop loving this man? A man I’ve never met. A man who is, after all, just a man.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:37 am

Hachikō I ask myself that same question everyday.

And everyday I get my answer because I just keep loving him more and more.

• August 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Hachikō, I feel the same about Prez O, and unlike you there is NO possibility that I’ll ever meet him! One good thing about this (for me) is that it has shown me that I can love someone viscerally, authentically, and unquestioningly without ever seeing him/her face to face! Prez O’s goodness and his humanity just seem to come through ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME even through the computer screen. I do feel blessed to be living at this time and to be able to share in this truly novel experience of him being in charge.

• 9 prettyfoot58
      August 17, 2011 at 11:32 am

great story…great story

2. August 17, 2011 at 10:28 am

Just such a typical story about our POTUS. No matter what else happens, I don’t think I will ever admire anyone more than I do him.

• August 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

Yes sequana- I’m with you. I’ve read story after story over the years of Barack Obama’s good heart and solid soul.. he has touched people all over the pockets of this country.. no matter how the media, the pl & the gop spin their tales (and tails) Many in this country know who he is. I have nothing but admiration and respect for him. And I’m very glad Marcus is still with us- and that his family has told their story- it deserves to be passed forward to everyone by us.

• 12 dotster
      August 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

My husband said to me this a.m. that I am going to have a lot more time on my hands after Obama has served his 2 terms because I will never care about or follow another like this—-his every word and every move. There will never be another president like this.
      This is a great story, likely one of many, where Obama has touched peoples’ lives.
      And speaking of little details, I see Obama has made an unscheduled stop at a county fair.

3. 13 PoliticalJunkessa
    August 17, 2011 at 10:28 am

BEAUTIFUL! :cry: :cry: :cry:

4. August 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

A beautiful, heartwarmin’, inspirational story, it “pulls at your heartstrings!” :smile:

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together!
    YES.WE.CAN, Again…Obama/Biden 2012!

5. 15 Sue in Minnesota
    August 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

I am in an emotional state today, these were not my first tears, probably won’t be my last. It’s all good. Our President is remarkable and awesome, and almost of another world…..I am so grateful that we are in his care . Obama cares. And I love him for that.

• August 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

((((((((HUGS4Sue))))))))) Hang in there Sue~

• August 17, 2011 at 10:44 am

He does seem like he is of another world. And I thank goodness we are all right there with him.

• August 17, 2011 at 10:49 am

Me too, Sue, shortly after getting another rejection for a job today. But this story brought a smile to my face. Very touching.

• 21 PoliticalJunkessa
        August 17, 2011 at 10:55 am

(((((africa))))) Keep your head up. Sending you job-finding vibes.

• 24 dotster
        August 17, 2011 at 11:19 am

Hoping you get better news soon, Africa. Thinking about you. Stay positive.

• 26 Sue in Minnesota
        August 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

Sending a hug to you. Africa when you get the job, and you will, my prayer is that it is a perfect fit, making the effort and the stress ileading up to it, worth all the trials in the end. Hold that smile in your heart, I am doing the same….and if the tears need to roll let them.

My Mom passed away in June…today is one of those days when I feel so lost without her, she was my everyday routines and responsibilities and most importantly a source of joy. She came from rual America, this story would have meant so much to her. I shared with her so much of this website, especially the Obama family and in particular the love affair between Barack and Michelle. Mom was a romantic…she loved the Obama’s not for political reasons, but because she recognized what beautiful and genuine people they were inside and out. Takes one to know one….she was cut from similiar cloth. I haven’t learned how to be brief in my expressions, I am sorry for rambling on…….i feel so supported by the loving and kind people here, I hope they feel all the same in return. Africa, I will keep you in my prayers..the ‘perfect’ job will come.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:33 am

Oh, Sue. Thanks so much. So sorry to hear about your mom. Will keep you in my prayers, too.

((((((Sue))))))

• August 17, 2011 at 11:36 am

I am so very sorry for your loss Sue, I had no idea… more (((((((((hugs))))))))))) for you today~

• August 17, 2011 at 11:39 am

Thanks Sheri. Did I read the other day that you are moving to Maryland? I used to live up there in Wheaton, just outside of Silver Spring. All of my sisters live up there.

I used to love it in the spring time.

• August 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm

YES! I cannot wait to get there- I’m trying to be there by Christmas. My 2 adult sons and my 4 grandchildren all live there. They used to live in Silver Springs while going to school.. no they’re in Elkridge and Westminster.. I’m looking at houses primarily in Baltimore. I was stationed there at Aberdeen Proving Grounds many years ago with the Army.. and it was very lovely. Looking forward to getting back to my family and to city life.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:37 am

{{{{sniffles}}}}

I always enjoy your comments here, Sue. Please don’t ever apologize for expressing yourself.

August 17, 2011 at 11:38 am

Sue – Beautiful, beautiful memories you have of your Mom (and her “love affair” with the goodness that is President Obama and his dear wife!). I lost my Mother six years ago and think of her every day. Didn’t think the “feeling lost” part would ever ease, but it has somewhat. Mostly now, my family can just fondly recall her humor and the fact she was always in a good mood! Hang in there – we are all in this crazy life together, and thank goodness we have such a wonderful distraction: enjoying our President’s every move!

• 33 sam uk obama supporter
          August 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Sue, thank you so much for sharing your story and I am so very sorry to hear that you lost your precious mom in June. My heart goes out to you especially as you are having a difficult day. Please be gentle with yourself and allow yourself to cry when you need to and know that we all love you and hold you in our thoughts and don’t ever feel you need to apologize here for sharing your feelings.

Sending big hugs to you honey, love ya loads.

• 34 Sue in Minnesota
            August 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Thank you all, the generosity and kindness of all in this community lifts my spirits, and reaffirms my faith in people everyday. And as always thanks to Chipsticks for bringing us all together, what an amazing community you have built.

Namaste

• August 17, 2011 at 11:22 am

africa, sending you best wishes for a wonderful opportunity that’s right for you. Hang in there.

• 37 carol in ky
        August 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

I’m sending you hugs too (((africa))) and wishes that you’ll soon find a job. If I may ask, where do you live
        and what kind of work are you looking for? I don’t mean to pry, just thought if I knew more, I might be able
        to help you. Of course it all depends on where you live and what your interests are. :-)

• 41 prettyfoot58
        August 17, 2011 at 11:34 am

((((((((AFRICA)))))))))))

keep your head to the sky!!!

• 43 MTmarilyn
        August 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Oh Africa, (((((((((((hugs)))))))))). I will light a candle for you today. Keep the faith!!!

• 45 sam uk obama supporter
        August 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Africa. I am sorry to hear that you received a rejection letter today. wishing you all the best in your job hunting, I understand how soul destroying it is when you are trying to find work. Wishing you all the best and sending you hugs. God bless you.

• 48 Titti
      August 17, 2011 at 10:56 am

Tell me again (( Sue)) , I did tear up too. We hear/read touching stories about this man’s big heart and love for his ‘fellow men’ – truly wonderful. I tear up at that ‘airport story’ too – the lady emigrating to Switzerland; shows the character of the man.

• 49 ber6964
        August 17, 2011 at 11:33 am

That was my favorite as well Titti!
        Does anyone have the original story?
        Hey Chips maybe we can compile the best for a thread,
        for anyone new that doesn’t know
        How Amazing our President Is?
        I remember my favorite line from Michelle early in the campaign of 08 where she talked about how
        many things our President did when there were No Cameras.
        That was one of the things that got me on board for the President Obama.

6. August 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

this is a beautiful story about friendship. I’m telling you, none of the repugs have a story like this. None of them are as caring and giving as PBO. I hope Americans are wise enough to see past nasty politics to the man fighting their battles for them. No repug is going care enough or love us enough to do the best they can for us.

7. 51 Debz
    August 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

This is a beautiful story. How any one can say that this President “can’t relate” to regular people is crazy. PBO is the most caring President in my lifetime.

August 17, 2011 at 10:44 am

Morning Joe was a blast this morning! Nicole Wallace aka Bush’s mouthpiece and spin doctor, Mark Halperin aka douchebag extraordinaire, Pat Buchanan aka Ye Olde Racist Scumbag and Willie Geist aka the benefactor of nepotism. In other words 4 republicans against The Reverend Al Sharpton. But thank you lord for Rev Al. Everyone who’s on twitter needs to send Rev Al a tweet and THANK HIM for the fantastic job he’s doing and the steel trap mind that just spits out facts, facts, zingers and whippersnappers of truth. This morning on Morning Joe he said he reads the tweets people send to him so please please please send him a thank you.

They began the discussion with Rick Perry’s inflammatory statement against Fed Chair Ben Bernanke where he implied that if Bernanke was in Texas, they would take him out for printing money for “political” reasons. They asked Rev Al what he thought about it. Rev Al said it was disgusting and totally uncalled for that you have a Governor who has governed for about 10 years and been in politics for more than 25 years and is running for the highest office in the land making veiled threats that are unbecoming of the position and unbecoming of a supposed “leader.” Rev Al then said that it wasn’t only that statement that was disgusting, but the statement where Rick Perry questions whether President Obama loves America was just abhorrent. How dare Perry question President Obama’s love and patriotism of this country. That this is the same thing that happened during the 2008 campaign where Palin said Obama liked to pal around with terrorists and people started calling for the murder of Obama, calling him a terrorist and the republican party just kept on inciting them. Are they going to demand to see his birth certificate again? Rev said that to show you how disgusting his statement was even Karl Rove was offended that Perry said Bernanke was a traitor who was committing treason. Rev Al reminded them that Bernanke was a Bush appointee so if Perry was trying to level that slur at President Obama’s “incapability” of picking cabinet members, then he failed woefully. Pat Buchanan tried to suggest that what Perry said wasn’t all that offensive. That what was more offensive was then candidate Obama attending a church for 20 years where the pastor said “God damn America.” Rev Al swung back at Pat hard. He told Pat to stop beating a dead horse because it just makes him look desperate. Pat’s expression was priceless. He finally met someone who was not afraid to hit back hard and did not back down from any nonsense or slur Pat threw at the President. Rev Al continued on; saying that first of all Pat took the pastor’s words out of context, then candidate Obama rejected the pastor’s point of view, came out and gave a brilliant speech on race, and besides when the pastor was expressing those sentiments Barack Obama wasn’t in that church and never for one day echoed the pastor’s beliefs. On the other hand, Perry said those inflammatory words and never backed down from them. He opened his mouth and just kept spewing crap left, righ, and center. So Pat should never ever try and compare those two incidences and put them on the same level. They then played the clip of Wolf Blitzer’s interview where President Obama said he’d give Perry a pass on his statement because he’s just 2 or 3 days into his campaigning and people make mistakes, but he should be very careful because running for President, isn’t it the same as running for congress, local govt or governor. Pat then said the President should have laid into Perry harder. Rev Al asked him why? Why stop Rick Perry from making a fool of himself? It’s not up to the President to castigate Perry, it’s up to the President’s base; because President Obama isn’t in campaign mode yet. Rev Al said he hopes Rick Perry continues to gain more traction in the republican primary and win the republican nomination. He wishes him the best of luck. Hahaha. Mark Halperin then asked Rev Al what about Bachmann. Rev Al said he wishes her goodluck also. Halperin then said, Bachmann could pose a threat for the Obama team. Rev Al looked at him as though he was on crack. He said he wishes her well and hopes she and Perry duke it out for leader of the teaparty. Halperin then said if Rev Al was Bachmann’s consultant, how would he advice her to attack Perry. Rev Al said no amount of money would convince him to take on that task because Bachmann plays fast and loose with facts. So she could continue on in that vein. She doesn’t need facts to attack Perry, she should just open her mouth and let jumbled up words spill. Haha. They then talked about the economy and the big jobs package and policy speech President Obama is going to unveil and give in September, after labor day. Nicole Wallace said finally Obama (she kept calling him Obama in a very snide tone and Rev Al kept giving her the stink eye) is unveiling a plan on paper and is no longer whining and doing what he does best: blaming George Bush for the economy. Then she said maybe Robert Gibbs finally got the message and told the rest of the Obama team that blaming Bush will not fly this time. She’s such a liar. Gibbs was on Morning Joe this week and he never said they were running against the ghost of Bush or blaming Bush; Nicole said that. Rev Al rounded on her and said that he hopes no one ever forgets that Bush and his cronies messed up the American economy and President Obama did inherit a huge mess and if he wants to remind the American people of that fact or nuggett of truth, he is well within his rights. Pat then said that President Obama is getting desperate unveiling another jobs plan that likely includes tax reform, short term stimulus and entitlement reform. Rev Al told him that if that is indeed what is in the jobs plan and we don’t know the full details of it then it’s a good jobs plan and it does not smack of desperation. He said that people in the media wanted him to unveil a big jobs plan and now that he’s doing so they’re all ganging up on him and saying it smacks of desperation; which is utter crap. Rev Al said that the only people who smell of desperation are the media and the house and senate republicans and the teaparty caucus. He said when President Obama unveils this jobs plan, all he has to do is take it to the American people and 100% sell it. If the GOP keep blocking him, they’ll receive a huge backlash from the American public who want jobs and will not take kindly to anyone blocking a path that leads to more jobs and stabilizatiion of the economy. They then turned to the fact that President Obama is taking a vacation in Martha’s Vineyard which smacks of elitism. Pat then suggested that President Obama should take a vacation on the Outerbanks of North Carolina (redneck country) or in rural Texas in some far away podunk town where no one has to see him and his family riding bicycles, wearing helmets and smiling up and down. Translation go to East Texas where there are a huge majority of white conservatives, white supremacists who hate black people so we mysteriously never have to hear from you or your family again. Racist Jerk. Willie, Nicole, and Mark joined in the fun mocking President Obama and his love of riding bicycles around the coast, wearing a “fuddy duddy” helmet, instead of driving a car cross country on a “real” American vacation. When did bicycle riding along the coast or a bike trail become unAmerican? When did one wearing a hemet for safety become a cause for mockery? When did healthy living become fodder for insults? Rev Al shut all of them up by asking them if they ever castigated or mocked Bush on his “real” American vacations to his ranch in Crawford, TX? If they ever called out Bush for taking multiple vacations with his family? They all said no. Rev Al told them to quit their nonsense backbiting; it only smacks of jealousy, childishness and pettyness and is frankly more than enough whining than he’s willing to listen to. Haha. That shut them up real quick.

Rev Al was AMAZING!!!! One man against 4 GOP schill machines and he came out on top. It was brilliant to watch. Just absolutely brilliant.

• August 17, 2011 at 10:55 am

Thanks, ut, you’re A-M-A-Z-I-N’…

And, so is @thereval! ;) :smile:

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together!

• 54 Debz
      August 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

I am glad you watch this stuff so i don’t have to. Love the Rev.he is the President’s best supporter out there. i hope we will be seeing more Dems going after the repugs and the fools in the msm this way.

• 55 Sue in Minnesota
      August 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

UT you are the best…..Amen to Reverand Al, and keep it coming brother. What a glorious sight this must have been to behold. The mean kid clique on Morning Jackass continues to reveal their immaturity and pettiness. Hope they are still smarting from the truth, smacking them upside the head. Honestly….what grown up responsible adult cannot recognize that the Joe crew suffers from arressted emotional development and an exaggerated sense of importance.

UT….I bow to you.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the report UT. I use to see Bush riding a bike all the time. I think I even heard one time that he did it just for show. That bunch of clowns are shameless. Thanks Rev Al. We really need and love you and Randi.

• 57 57andFemale
          August 17, 2011 at 11:52 am

Didn’t Bush fall off his bike once?

And let me get this straight: a father being a role model for his children by wearing a helmet is somehow unmanly? So unless you’re reckless and don’t give a shit about safety or the environment, then you’re un-American?

God, I hate these tools.

• 59 Bill
      August 17, 2011 at 10:59 am

I doubt if Pat Buchanan is able to ride a bicycle. I can picture Buchanan on a “Hovercraft” while wearing a helmet on the boardwalk at Bethaney Beach DE.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:04 am

UT, wonderful summary as usual. I missed Morning Joke this morning and I’m so sorry I did. Will have to watch the clips. We need to keep writing MSNBC and demand that they sign Rev Al to a contract. Now. He is the only voice amidst the republican crazy. And he’s right on all counts.

And can I say that I absolutely despise Nicole Wallace? I haven’t been able to find her on Twitter so I can tell her what I think of her. She helped Bush steal the 2004 election from Kerry and couldn’t steal 2008 for lousy McCain. She’s a loser who always has something nasty to say.

Someone tell me why republican women are so nasty? Look at Palin, Bachmann, and the stupid radio talk show hosts? They are all so nasty with horrible attitudes and always spewing hate. I don’t like to generalize, but this is what I see. I never see a republican woman talking about love and coming together. Never.

Anyway, thank God for Rev Al. Let’s support him in every way.

And our president has just been magnificent as usual. Love, love him.

• 61 criquet
        August 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

If you can Twitter her, please remind her that she owes PRESIDENT Obama the respect of his title and should call him such.

• 62 dotster
          August 17, 2011 at 11:22 am

I get mad because if it’s not just “Obama”, it’s Mr. Obama, never President Obama—–hear that all over the place. It’s intentional and disrespectful and maddening.

• 63 57andFemale
            August 17, 2011 at 11:53 am

I think “Mr.” is considered an acceptable salutation for the President. I may be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

BRILLIANT summary of the gracious smackdown by Rev. Al, UT I watched it too. It was a thing of sheer beauty!

• August 17, 2011 at 11:30 am

Love you so much for going where I cannot- thank you UT- you are an angel.. and will tweet Rev Al and thank him for his Rocks, his smarts and his steadfastness.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:41 am

Once again, you do an excellent job of summarization. For those of us who can’t stomach watching, thanks for watching so we don’t have to.

I am going to send Rev. Al a tweet.

• August 17, 2011 at 11:42 am

UT, it’s great that you watch Morning Joke, I can’t. I would be throwing my remote at the tv. So I choose not to watch them.

• August 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I have spread the word with your recap

• 70 theo67
      August 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thank you for these daily summaries into the filth, UT. I can’t stand anyone on that MSNBC channel except for Rev Al, and I certainly can’t watch that drivel that passes for the Morning Joke show. But, I do like to read the summaries to know what tricks they’re trying, and especially to hear when they get a good smackdown from a decent human being. You have nerves of steel!

9. 71 Esmerelda
    August 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

Such a heartwarming story drawing a striking contrast between the President and his opponents.

10. August 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

The president is making an unadvertised stop at a county fair in Morrison, IL. I hope there will be photos!!

11. August 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

OMG This story gives me chills. Thanks for sharing Chips! :-)

August 17, 2011 at 11:17 am

First Lady Michelle Obama was right when she said President Obama always remembers the people he meets along the way, whether he spends 5 minutes with them or an hour. He remembers their stories, their pain, their joy, their disappointments and their triumphs. He carries them in his heart. I firmly believe this and many more stories are the reason why he fought valiantly for healthcare and will never kowtow to those on the left and the right who say it was a mistake or didn’t do enough. He realizes that his policies affect everyday people and they help them. They absolutely help them and because of that; he continues to be a decent, honest, warm, caring, compassionate, and wonderful human being. Not to mention an outstandingly phenomenal President.

• 81 carol in ky
      August 17, 2011 at 11:47 am

This is such a heartwarming story, and I bet it’s only 1 of many like it that we don’t know about. I truly admire President Obama
      for being the caring, compassionate man he is. We are SO blessed to have him as our president.

• 82 nathkatun7
      August 17, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Well said Utaustinliberal! I also thank you so much for being vigilant in monitoring what goes on in the MSM. Although I do not watch the 24-7 news channels, I know a great many Americans watch them. Your analyses of, and push backs against, the MSM are absolutely important because they expose the mendacity and hypocrisy of those who have the power of the megaphone. I do not comment often, but I thoroughly enjoy your commentaries. Most importantly, I learn a great deal from them. For a young college student, your maturity and wisdom is quite amazing. I was born a few months before FDR passed away. Obviously I really don’t know much, so far as conscious experience is concerned, about the presidency of FDR, Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower. I know a little bit about JFK because I was a teenager when he was elected. I have, however, known all the presidents, from LBJ to BHO; and I totally agree with your assessment of President Obama. He is indeed ” a decent, honest, warm, caring, compassionate, and wonderful human being.” I might also add that he is also one of the most intelligent presidents in my life time. What distresses me the most is to see the vicious attacks against him from the so called Progressives, and especially older progressives who should no better. Their heroes FDR and LBJ never solved problems instantly. It took FDR 12 years to finally break the grip of the Depression, so far as employment was concerned. And, it took the Kennedy-Johnson presidency 4-5 years to pass the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. Lest we forget, the Civil Rights Acts were enacted in the wake of President Kennedy’s assassination, and in the midst of the most massive Civil Rights protest movement conducted by people from the grassroots who put their lives on line each and every day. I personally do not think that wealthy bloggers, University Professors, and MSM pundits show any courage when they constantly attack the President. They dishonor the sacrifices of the Civil Rights activists (including those who paid with their lives) when they compare their attacks on the President with what took place in the 1960’s, or in Frederick Douglass’ Abolitionist movement.

• 83 utaustinliberal
        August 17, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Hello Nath. Good to see you here again! Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for your kind words. I’m glad you enjoy my commentaries, because I sure do enjoy yours. I also learn a lot about past history from you which aids me in conducting factual political conversations with my friends. So keep up the good work Sir, and I hope you have a great night. Once again, thank you for the immensely kind words. :)

13. August 17, 2011 at 11:34 am

Good News for California

LaHood Announces $179 Million to California for High Speed Passenger Rail Network

• August 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Fantastic!! In Bay Area, busses, trains, BART are all packed. We need more support for public transportation!!

• 86 nathkatun7
      August 17, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Really wonderful news. Thank you so much WIW for always focusing on positive news. I visit your blog but still have difficulty posting a comment to applaud you for the wonderful job you do. Whenever I am down with all the negativity, you always post positive news to lift my spirits.

14. August 17, 2011 at 11:36 am

Another example of how “grow local” is taking off

Growing Local Shrimp In Las Vegas Desert

15. 90 Sheila R.
    August 17, 2011 at 11:55 am

What an inspiring story! I can’t believe that some people who claim to be Democrats call him a Republican. It’s disgusting. The Obama Diary is such a nice group of people.

16. August 17, 2011 at 11:56 am

Here’s a little nugget for you. Filed under “and they said it couldn’t be done”
    Also on August 11, DOE reported that a team of researchers at its BioEnergy Science Center (BESC) have pinpointed the exact, single gene that controls ethanol production capacity in a microorganism. This discovery could be the missing link in developing biomass crops that produce higher concentrations of ethanol at lower costs. BESC is led by DOE’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory and is one of three DOE Bioenergy Research Centers.

17. 92 MTmarilyn
    August 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This story reminds me of the story I read somewhere about the woman the President helped get on the plane to Sweden or somewhere to be with her husband way before he was known to anyone. Can someone find that story? He is such a caring human being. I am so thankful he is our President. I am fired up and Ready to Go!

18. 97 dotster
    August 17, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Contrast this heartwarming, caring story with MSNBC just now. It’s all negative opening up the hour, showing that one tea party activist in Mn. again and then showing the CBC getting everyone all riled up, screaming about Obama and jobs, in Detroit last night. Maxine Waters and Conyers were doing their best sarcastic and condemning Smiley/West imitations. Not helpful. Then they went to a Perry clip slamming Obama. This is so absolutely disgusting, always the negative with our irresponsible, damaging media.

• August 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Waters and Conyers are getting hammered on twitter right now.

• 99 utaustinliberal
        August 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Good. I’m going to go send them a piece of my mind with a tweet. I saw the video and they were despicable. Riling people up to insult President Obama. They are congressmembers; they have a responsibility to do their own jobs and stop whining and blaming President Obama. They should be pointing out the plans and works President Obama has been slugging away at and the intransigence of the GOP… but noooooo.. it’s all blame Obama season. Welcome Waters and Conyers to the Smiley and West bandwagon. Jerks.

• 100 nathkatun7
          August 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I am sick and tired of CBC. What exactly does the CBC have to show, by way of accomplishments in Congress, since its founding, almost 42 years ago. Can any one point to specific achievement of CBC? I think it’s time for both Waters and Conyers to go. For them to be viciously attacking President Obama, at the time when he is facing an insane Republican party that says no to everything, shows their lack of maturity. Like Tavis and Cornel, both Waters and Conyers benefit from being the voice of opposition against Republicans. With President Obama in office, Black people no longer give them center stage. They now think that bashing the President is the way to regain center stage.

19. August 17, 2011 at 12:16 pm

It was great to get a nice copy of PBO’s 2004 speech in the mail!! Hard to believe it was that long ago.

August 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Wow! I have the one he did in Philadelphia – a beautiful campaign handout – my sister worked in her local O office and grabbed some goodies for me! A treasure.

20. 103 Sandra
    August 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Rev. Al Sharpton was on this morning saying the CBC are out doing the same thing they did in 2008 because they have never been supporters of President Obama, and he knows Maxine Waters voted for Hillary Clinton. I might add so did Ed Rendel, Charlie Rangel and a host of others the media immediately run to to spew hatred towards President Obama.

I have to comment on David Axelrod who says he is close friends with Maureen Dowd after all of the disrespectful hateful bullshit she’s written about our President Obama. Thank god David Axelrod was left out of the Bin laden raid loop. I also have issues with Valerie Jarret and who she calls her friends in the media.

21. August 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm

What a beautiful article on the Wheeler’s relationship with Pres. Obama. Pres Obama signifies the cloth of what makes America. With his leadership this country can once again become united in all she stands for. Thanks to everyone responsible for this site. It’s one of the best I’ve seen yet. Kudos to all!

22. August 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

OMG! I love this story and the one with the woman heading to Norway. This shows precisely what a good man PBO is and further demonstrates that the so-called compassionate conservatism that the right likes to claim cannot begin to stack up to this man.

23. August 17, 2011 at 2:47 pm

The Wheeler story is new to me. I have heard the President speak about the family, but never have heard the back story. I love it. I read it three times and I get goosebumps every time. I knew about the Norway story during the campaign. These stories show the heart of our President. I am so proud of him.

24. 107 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    August 18, 2011 at 1:14 am

Wow. That’s a beautiful story.