Aug

‘the stone of hope’

USAToday: Amid preparations to unveil a national memorial in honor of Martin Luther King Jr., a majority of Americans say King’s dream of racial equality has been realized in the USA, although a gulf between blacks and whites persists over how much remains to be done.

Just over half of Americans polled say Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream of racial equality has been fulfilled, and another one in four of those surveyed say major progress has been made toward it.

A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds both pride and division on race relations. Nearly everyone – 90% of whites and 85% of blacks – says civil rights for blacks have improved in the USA during their lifetime, although whites are more likely to see the progress as far-reaching.

…. Dawn Scott, 50, a caregiver for seniors from Bloomfield, Conn., who is black, says racism continues but cites the election of the nation’s first African-American president as evidence of King’s legacy.

“If he was alive, seeing what Barack (Obama) did, he’d be the proudest man on Earth,” she says of the civil rights leader….

Obama is scheduled to speak at the Aug. 28 dedication of the King memorial, a 30-foot-8-inch granite sculpture set amid cherry trees on the northwest shore of the Tidal Basin.

VK News: On Sunday, August 28, 2011, the 48th anniversary of the “March on Washington” and Dr. King’s historic “I Have A Dream” speech, thousands will gather in Washington, D.C. to honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in a special dedication of the MLK Memorial, The “Stone of Hope which is 30-foot statue of Dr. King located on the National Mall.

104 Responses to “‘the stone of hope’”

1. August 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I am seriously going to bawl like a baby that day.

Not to spoil a good post, but I just saw on Twitter that Keith Olbermann named Deaniac at The People’s View as Worst Persons’ on his actual TV show. Can you believe this madness. I was done with the PL before but now seriously these guys are lower than the turd on my shoe. Shameful pettiness.

• 4 Bobfr
      August 18, 2011 at 10:57 pm

That is fantastic news for Deaniac, TPV and all of us. If KO is that threatened, we know we are all doing something substantial, worthy and just.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

• 6 Chi
        August 19, 2011 at 4:09 am

We now live in a crazy world were Deaniac gets attacked by liberals and PL’s in the media while they simultaneously promote and elevate Michael Steele as a sane voice whose great ideas and suggestions for how progressives should destabilize the Democratic party ought to be applauded and embraced…

• August 18, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Wait… WTF??? WHY??? What did he say??????

• August 18, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I didn’t watch it but I saw reports on Twitter that he put Deaniac up as Worst Persons for calling Paul Krugman a political rookie. Very interesting that the response from the PL is not of any substance. No challenge of the facts just hurt fee fees.

• 9 EDP4BHO
      August 18, 2011 at 11:33 pm

That boy has totally gone off the deep end. To think we used to sit watching him, relying on him for positive info on PBO, and Dems in general. So what the hell is he about anyway, if he doesn’t vote?

August 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

KO should have taken a year off to grieve properly and regroup after both his parents died. He definitely has a huge void in his life. I also believe that he carries some insecurity and bitterness about his life and for many insecure men, PBO is the epitome of what they would very much like to have- looks, intelligence, power, a beautiful wife with who loves him and with whom he is in love, two beautiful well-behaved girls who adore their father, international admiration and respect. Therefore men like KO attack the President and/or anyone they think is supportive of the President. The attack on Deaniac is a new low for KO.

• August 19, 2011 at 1:29 am

OMG! Keith is such a disappointment generally speaking; Deaniac should consider it an honer; my how things have changed!

• 12 Bill
      August 19, 2011 at 7:12 am

Excuse my ignorance but who is “Deaniac”?

• August 19, 2011 at 7:35 am

Deaniac, of the People’s View, gave a brilliant and positive analysis of the debt ceiling deal that the president negotiated. Not one person in the faux left gave a thoughtful rebuttal, they just reacted to the fact that their leader, Krugman, was revealed as someone who doesn’t know much about politics. I think it’s great that a true, pragmatic progressive got under their skin this way. They can call the president every name in the book, but scream bloody murder if their own icons are slighted in any way. I hope lots of people turn to Deaniac after this as the source of real analysis, not emotion. Keith did everyone a favor laying out the chidishness of the faux left who can dish it out, but can’t take it.

I like the statue of King, although I think he looks a little stern. He had such a spirit about him that he seemed to me to convey more patient love that anger. But I’m glad it’s going to be there on the mall–it’s about time.

2. August 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Thanks Chips for this great thread. I loved Rev. Al’s comments at the end of his show today regarding this.

3. August 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm

That statue is brilliant, and I bet so much more in person. I do worry that with Tavis and whatshisface, and now Maxine Waters and the CBC attacking the President that things could be “chilly” at the dedication.

• 19 GGail
      August 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Don’t worry StR. God is in the mix and all will be well and beautiful.

• 20 EDP4BHO
        August 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Co-sign. It is after all, MLK being remembered. Funny, some of those CBC’s probably would have had a problem with King as well, as many other AA’s did in that time. We are a people still easily divided, I fear, settling for crumbs from the table.

• August 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I don’t think things will be chilly. StR, a lot of folks don’t have cable and have no idea that Waters, West and Smiley are trashing PBO. If anything, I think all of what they are doing will backfire. Also, we have Steve Harvey and Tom Journey who love PBO to get the word out against this nonsense.

• 22 tao jones
        August 18, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I think some of this is generational with civil rights leaders. And frankly I think a few can’t forgive Obama for being from a Black heritage that did not include slavery.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Also he was too young to march, and grew up in a different time. It’s like these leaders don’t believe President Obama is paying them enough deference, like he takes the work they had to do before him for granted or something. But I think the whole point was they fought, so others after them wouldn’t have to.

He’s also on vacation for the week, and will come back basically on the day of the unveiling ceremony when he could have hosted a lot of the dignitaries @ the White House.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:33 pm

These are all fractures that came out during the 2008 campaign. It’s time everyone moves forward. President Obama is a great man. Only a small mind would begrudge him this grand achievement.

• 25 HZ
            August 19, 2011 at 3:35 am

Why? We do not know the details of this.

• 27 HZ
            August 19, 2011 at 3:44 am

This President could not control his birth. Did he have to go through the hellish days and years of that time during which Rep. Lewis and Dr. King and many others when through to take a seat at the table? No, he does not. That very table, those steps, those burning feet, those thirsty mouths, those dogs pulling at your skirts and skirts does not leave President Barack Obama with an empty seat at the table of the Oval Office. Remember “not judging by the color of their skin , but by the contents of their character. Can we see that character in President Obama. Hell yes. So people will never understand or accept the fact that President Obama did not march with them or was there, but his mother tried with all of her heart to try to teach him about these events in our history, and he is smart of enought to have read everything he could get his hands on to learn. Let’s move on and continue to build on the work of Dr. King.

• 29 Chi
            August 19, 2011 at 4:29 am

I haven’t exactly seen most of these people show any real support for President Obama since he was inaugurated and the attacks began…

Not a peep…

President Obama has been extremely gracious and has honored several civil rights leaders including the minister that prayed at his inauguration Rev. Joseph Lowery and Rep John Lewis who he has awarded Presidential medals of freedom…

President Obama is a better human being than I’ll ever be…

I couldn’t possibly show up with smiles little less host them at the White House when so many have been unusually silent and remained uncharacteristically mum since the attacks on both President Obama and Mrs Obama started 3 years ago, while the rest have been active participants in those attacks…

Most of these people might have participated in the civil rights movement, but many have actively aided and participated in undoing some of the good work of that movement…

The greed, ego, envy and selfishness astounds …

• 30 Mae who love our CIC
            August 19, 2011 at 10:55 am

StR,
            I am a AA and I was not a slave, but my ancestors were. I don’t think any person expects to rewarded for fighting against slavery and any other civil rights issues. MLK made those sacrifices with his life. He wanted equal rights for every one. AA was not the only race of people who fought for these liberties. White folk march right along side of them as well. You think they are saying that the President should give them personal attention. President Obama owes nothing to any one, but I am sure he is grateful for the path way. He pays each day to make this a better America. There will always be a fight and struggle in this country. We see folk fighting against our President with stupidity every day of the week. What you criticizing our President about taking a vacation and returning on the day of this unveiling. You have to be kidding. He have dignitaries at the White House all of the time and he can still have the so called dignitaries at another time. And just what dignitaries do you have in mind. I am so put off with Maxine Waters, Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, Jesse Jackson and others. I would not entertain the likes of them. They are fair weather friends and very petty about life. Don’t think more highly of your self than you should. You save yourself from disappointment when folk does not recognize you.

• 31 EDP4BHO
          August 18, 2011 at 11:39 pm

“frankly I think a few can’t forgive Obama for being from a Black heritage that did not include slavery.”

How well they forget that his Black heritage included colonialism by the British, therefore, his is also a history of overcoming. We DO NOT have many stern thinkers in this country.

• 36 Puddin'
          August 19, 2011 at 1:26 am

I totally agree with you…I think some folks don’t understand fully what it means that PBO is “from a Black heritage that did not include slavery”…PBO doesn’t have the same sensibilities, he has a different point of reference, a different perspective, a different mindset which enables him to respond to situations differently…The United States of America needed Barack Hussein Obama to be the first African American for this very reason. PBO doesn’t have the same trauma in his DNA (so to speak) as someone who is a descendant of slaves. Professor Joy Degruy Leary’s POST TRAUMATIC SLAVE SYNDROME is an excellent book to read regarding this matter. It truly is a MUST READ.

• August 19, 2011 at 7:21 am

Excellent insight Pudding and Tao Jones. I’ve been thinking about this theory as well for awhile (that PBO comes from a different frame of reference than most AAs and does not carry the internal burden of slavery “in his bones.” I’d love to read Leary’s Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome. I have a feeling it offers some enlightening points.

• 39 prettyfoot58
            August 19, 2011 at 8:39 am

the nature of racism is all encompassing…it falls equally on all our people of a darker hue…whether they are descendants of slaves or not… is a silly argument…

Pat Buchanana…called him “boy”
            that miswestern congressman…called him “tar baby”
            halpern called him a “dick”
            the head of the fl repub committee compared his family to apes…
            and then there are all the varieties of deogatory posters and signs…carried at the TP rallies
            and just recently his “buddy” coburn…said that because has a legacy of dependence…

those that disparage him…have no trouble with seeing him as a black man…

• August 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Spot on Cos. And will backfire big time. Waters has her own ethics troubles coming up soon. She will be running to TJMS and other black shows to seek support. Not to mention the rattle snakes she’s letting use her to nip at PBO, wil strike her right on her heels when her investigation starts.

My husband used to be news editor for a black newspaper in D.C. He mingled with a lot of the black establishment. He has been telling me how corrupt the CBC was, but I never paid attention until I read that article today about the scholarship fiasco.

When I asked my husband if he knew about it, he said “I’ve been trying to tell you forever you didn’t hear me.”

Go figure.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Not from Obama that’s for sure. He’s a kind and mature person in general.

August 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm

StR, things will NOT be chilly at all. The sheer amount of goodwill behind this event and behind our President (despite what the MSM and their manipulated polls claim) will trounce the tiny group of naysayers and carnival barkers who appear larger in number than they are because the MSM amplifies their shrill voices. The good people from DC and all over the country will gather at West Potomac park to celebrate and partake in a free concert after the dedication.

The event is expected to be JAMPACKED. In fact, it follows a week of festivities. Here is a link to the website.

• 43 Doris
        August 19, 2011 at 1:33 am

I’m right outside DC in MD and you are right, folks here don’t know who Maxine Waters is and her big mouth won’t make a difference. Folks will turn out and have a wonderful time. If I had the physical capabilities, I would be there. No worries. This will be fantabulous. The President will do just fine.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I doubt it, StR. I don’t think at this event, people will want to engage in the West-Smiley-Waters kind of brutishness to PBO. This setting in the first place doesn’t lend itself to that.

• 45 Doris
        August 19, 2011 at 1:35 am

True, this area, my area, has a heavy African-American population that supports this President. This event will be well attended and the President will do well.

• 46 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      August 19, 2011 at 12:31 am

STR things won’t be chily at the dedication. They are expecting a crowd of 250,000. PBO still has close to 90% support from the African American community. The majority know exactly what is going on and why. They KNOW RACISM is running rampant in our country and not just from the white masses. African Americans have their brand as well. Just ask self hating Cornell and Tivis. :wink:

4. 48 GGail
    August 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm

WOW Chipsticks, I just finished watching this online at MSNBCTV and I thought to myself – “this would be a great thread on TOD”. And here it is!!!! You are just wonderful :-)

5. 49 carolyn
    August 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Keith O is obviously jealous of The People’s View! Keith doesn’t vote, so what right does he have to say about anything anyway! congratulations to Deaniac! The pragmatic left blogosphere is obviously gaining traction, and Keith is losing his “base”. I consider him irrelevant. His jealousy reeks!

August 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Rev. Al Sharpton ended his show with this segment and recalling the utterly BRILLIANT and HERCULEAN achievements of
    Martin Luther King Jr. and how his GREAT works improved the lives of so many African Americans and other minorities. As an African American, everytime I watch the “I Have A Dream” Speech, I get chills and get filled up with so much gratitude for those who struggled and died to pave a path for me. I’m going to be bawling like a baby during the dedication of the MLK memorial.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Want to hear something funny? When Tavis used to give commentary on TJMS, one day he was talking about his visit to Memphis, I believe to the site where MLK was killed. I swear I thought I heard him trying to compare himself to Dr. King. I was taking my son to school that morning, almost ran in a ditch.

7. 56 mb32
    August 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I’m so happy about this! I signed up to take one of NAN’s busses to the unveiling next Sunday. It was originally going to the rally on Sat but then they got lottery tickets to the Sun event. I’m sure we will be somewhere waay in the back…I understand these are the standing room only free tickets but I’m so excited. It’s going to be a beautiful day! I emailed the bus coordinator today to confirm everything…just waiting to get final info on itinerary…I would love to get close enough to get close to PBO to shake his hand but that probably will be unlikely…a girl can hope lol

August 18, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Our President might cry while giving that speech.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:07 pm

The CBC folks are jealous that they will not be the ones giving it. You know because “they” are the warriors of the movement. And PBO didn’t march. Forget that he was a damn infant at the time.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:20 pm

If I was to guess, I’d bet President Obama takes a backseat on the day (well as much as he can as President) to Jesse Jackson, Rep’s Lewis and Filner, etc and to the future generations.

August 18, 2011 at 11:34 pm

President Obama won’t take a back seat at all. He’ll give the keynote speech, which is the perfect final stroke for the dedication.

I do think President Obama would always show his respect and admiration – even awe – to the people whose extreme personal efforts brought the civil rights movement to our country. But please let’s also remember (with joy) that many of those who will be there were crying their eyes out on election night 2008, when Barack Obama won the presidency. I know that – even today – when Rep. Lewis speaks of election night, his voice still chokes up.

Bottom line, I guess, is that this event is about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and he’ll be the one we’ll ALL be crying about, the President and the other speakers and guests included.

• 62 Bobfr
            August 19, 2011 at 1:08 am

Agreed, jacqueline.

The President will be front and center at this exceptionally important event.

It will not surprise me in any way if he addresses the needs of all Americans and offers his vision for future generations and sets the tone for what he will compel Congress to do and all Americans to insist that their Representatives do to restore and expand the genuine sense of hope, of promise that America is and will always be.

Always be – because we will not allow our society to continue to be ravaged by the wealthy few for whom no amount of money or power will ever satisfy their distorted, narcissistic perception of the value of every person’s life.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

August 18, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Yup. Jealousy is at the root of their constant attacks this President. And the AA community is not having any of it.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Though we still have a long way to go, this is the beauty of what Dr. King aspired for.

Too bad that the shortsighted people who think that it is all about them can’t see the big picture.

Dr. King would’ve been mighty proud to be sitting there and hearing this young man speak.

• 66 Puddin'
          August 19, 2011 at 1:37 am

Jealousy and envy trumps common sense and rationale…

• 67 Dakota
          August 19, 2011 at 10:52 am

“But they fail to realize that this is what Dr. King was fighting for. Not for himself to get the limelight and the glory. But for the future generations like PBO to be standing right where he is going to be next week. ” Brilliant Africa. The CBC, West and the like need to be reminded of this often.

• 68 HZ
        August 19, 2011 at 3:15 am

And you know proudofobama, that will be the sad and smallmindness of those in the CBC who really did not get the full speech of the “I Have A Dream” speech. They need to read the entire speech first. Nest they need to realize that Dr. King’s life was not just about a few, it was about the entire country of people from all walks of life. Dr. King did not operate in jealous and petty conversations. He included all. He saw the larger picture just as our President does each and everyday. We we as a nation get it into our minds that it is not always about one or two people, or a certain group of people, but rather about human beings living in a world full of great opportunities for ALL, then we will be able to live out the dream. See even though President Barack H. Obama was just a baby when all of the struggles of Civil Rights movements was being organized,, Dr. King was thinking about the little ones who would be born into this world of hate, unfairness, inequality, and missed opportunities becaue of their background, colour of their skins where the evil minds of the hateful thinking would be embeded into the thinking of a nation that lived a phony lie each and everyday. Then he saw the dream and hope when he would see a table of brotherhood and sisterhood of small and adult alike sitting down and enjoying the greatness of a nation that could and should be available for all of the beautiful people of all walks of like eating, conversing about the goodness of this great nation that should and could be. I think that Dr. King would be happy to see and have President Obama sit at the head of that table while he(Dr. King) would be lovingly looking on, and saying’I have seen my dream come with truth and love, and purity of all of God’s children standing and sitting together at the Big Supper and really renenbering with pride the tears, sweat, beatings, fire-hoses turned on full blast, and the bonmbing of the churches with the little black girls in thatone church that Sunday/,Then seeing Dr. King sitting in jail writing to his fellow clergymen what they must do to erase for good this injustice. I don’t believe that there would be a jealous bone in Dr. Martin L. King Jr.’s body that would not allow the thought of seeing President Obama speaking on that beautiful day. So I will take my thoughts of remembering going through some of this ugly, vile , angry, and just nasty encourters of what Dr. King and John Lewis, and so many others of my friends and family member had to go through to get us to August 28 to alteast finally see a President Barack Obama standing there giving that speech. Dr. King would only have a full heart of thanksgiving, love, heart filled with courage, and a thoughtful prayer to a God who understand this better than any of us probably will ever understand. That is the Dr. King that I will see. So let those of us who want to move on with that special love, courage, respect, and forward thinking in our actions for these little ones, Move, Move, Move and Move with Pride in our hearts like not other time in our lives. Keep the Dream worth being alive.

• 69 cuphalffull
          August 19, 2011 at 4:22 am

What I was just thinking after reading your heart felt comment was that a man of character, integrity, fairness, compassion, competence, dedication and grace such as our President is the epitome of what MLK could see in his dream. He could see us reaching out for our better selves, treating each other as we would want to be treated. As much as MLK would understand the historic nature of Barack Obama’s presidency in light of his and others’ struggle, he would also be so happy to see the caliber of the man he helped bring into that job.

• 70 Mae who love our CIC
          August 19, 2011 at 11:20 am

You should give the speech for the unveiling.

• 71 Sue in Minnesota
      August 18, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I would understand his tears, most would…only the petty, small and hateful would not be able to absorb the enormity and significance of the effort and sarifice that preceded, and made a path for his achievement. Hope will prevail…and I think it will be a very important reminder to all of us, especially in these difficult times. I really appreciated Reverand Sharpton’s message tonight. We need his voice.

• 72 HZ
        August 19, 2011 at 2:40 am

Yes, we do Sue.

• 73 cuphalffull
        August 19, 2011 at 4:25 am

I thought the message Rev. Sharpton sent out about the significance of hope in the face of struggle in life was a universal one. If you are facing cancer treatments, the struggle for a job in the face of so much unemployment, the consequences of a mistake you have made, the ill will of friends or strangers, the consequences of the false witness of others, and so many other possibilities, the message was meant for you.

9. August 18, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I am sure PBO will deliver one very beautiful speech. He will be present and gracious and happy for this incredible moment.

I remember watching MLK’s actions as a young girl. His “I Have a Dream” speech really affected me, even if I couldn’t really comprehend the full magnitude of the event. It’s etched in my memory, as is his horrific assassination. I remember recoiling at the inhumane ignorance of it all, even then. We’d seen so much violence in the 60s – JFK, Malcolm X, MLK, RFK…..unfathomable pain going forward. I hope this event brings a measure of healing for everyone, as the words of MLK resonate even more in these times.

August 18, 2011 at 11:56 pm

meta – I was a white, Catholic high school girl living in the Northeast in the early ’60s, when we first heard about Dr. King. The shocking part is that it was also the first time we were actually conscious of the fact that African Americans were treated so horrendously in our own country, especially in the South. We just had no idea; we were that holed up in our own reality (luckily, we weren’t “taught” bigotry at home or at school – the only good thing that came out of our ignorance). After hearing the words of MLK, the second most influential impact of the civil rights movement in our lives came from seeing the horrific images on TV for the first time – the fire hoses, the students being pushed and shoved, and worse. It had a lifelong impact on my life, and I’ll be joining everyone else in both celebrating MLK’s greatness and sobbing my eyes out on Aug. 28.

• August 19, 2011 at 1:15 am

Jackie, your story is very similar to mine. I could never understand how horrible people could be toward their fellow man, and I still cannot believe how mean people can be today. Let me join in the sobs with you all.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Meta, I think it will be a powerful speech!!

10. 78 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    August 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I’m grateful to be witnessing history. Rev. Al Sharpton is correct that MLK is an inspiration to people all around the world. As a white child growing up in foreign country I can tell you that my parents were moved and inspired by Dr Martin Luther King. It is perfect that Barack Obama should be the President at the dedication of this memorial. I’m sure there will be plenty of tears all over the country and also the world.

11. August 18, 2011 at 11:49 pm

http://theobamadiary.com/2011/08/04/hey-7/ Here’s a previous diary with four of Chipsticks’ videos of the Obamas who now present what is best about America to the world. Can’t think of anyone on the other side who shows such a genuine ease with and enjoyment of other people, an enthusiasm which is reciprocated by the many folks they meet. Yes we can! (videos of Brazil, Ireland, India, and my all time favorite, Hey!

12. August 18, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Rep. John Lewis stands up for PBO against the CBC nonsense. Sorry for the Politico link, but it’s a good statement of support.

August 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Love that man!

August 19, 2011 at 12:03 am

John Lewis has always had our President’s back. Thank you rep Lewis.

• 83 HZ
        August 19, 2011 at 2:37 am

Rep. John Lewis is an honorable man with much grace and honesty. He has and I believe will always have President Obama’s back. Now this is a member of the CBC who will always have my respect. I have an excellent book by him sitting on my table in my entrance to my livingroom, and that book reminds me of how we must always enter a situation of deep disrespect and hate on your very life. I count Rep. Lewis as one of my great heroes. Maxine Waters should have some deep conversations with Mr. John Lewis someday, and maybe she will see tha that she owes this generation of people a better conversation than the one she tried to have while hatefully bashing one of the greatest President she will ever work with in her lifetime. So sad.

August 19, 2011 at 12:08 am

Should have remembered it was Politico and not read the comments. Four out of the five were awful. But one was sterling:

DONALD CHILDS
      NA
      Aug. 18, 2011 – 7:00 PM EST
      Why should Blacks be upset with the President when we know that the President has been obstructed on all proposals that would help us out. In fact all of the republicans proposals are designed to harm each and every person except the very wealthy that voted for the President. African Americans are not going to fall for the divide and conquer strategy that the media is trying to foster. We as African Americans love the Obamas period. And we see and feel the bigotry espoused towards him on a daily basis. The press tried to foster the same divide and conquer between Dr. King and Malcolm X back in the 60s and they did not go for it. Neither will the masses of African Americans because we are not shy about pointing out racism when we see it. President Obama is being treated very differently than all the other 43 Presidents that have been elected since him. And I am talking policy here. And the culprits are the Republicans in congress along with the states rigthts republicans in the states. Both are coordinating with each other. Where is the press calling out the republicans for their lack of any job measures that would alleviate some of the joblessness in America period. The republicans lied and saide they would create jobs. So where are the job. Where is the press.

• August 19, 2011 at 12:24 am

Great comment. I really feel that one day when the history is truly written, everyone will know that President Obama was never portrayed fairly in the press and that Republicans did nothing but further the ugliness of racism in our country. But PBO’s goodness and fairness will shine through in all that he has achieved, despite the odds.

Thanks for posting this, JO’B.

• August 19, 2011 at 12:44 am

The vile comments are everywhere that isn’t moderated heavily. I think these professional trolls are overdoing things and it’s have the opposite effect they might intend. The President is personally liked by near 70%, even if they disagree with his politics. And these troll attacks are usually very personal in nature and not on the politics. Personally attacking somebody that others like usually strengthens their regard for that person.

At least I hope that is the case.

• August 19, 2011 at 12:29 am

I love the whole “too little, too late” attempted meme by the MSM. President Obama was talking jobs back in January – March and the Press was trying to say he was tone deaf because the country was on the deficit/debt concerns. Now it’s too late?

Do they forget that the lame duck agreement was seen as a second stimulus by many because of the extended UEI and payroll tax cut? Why do these media talking heads expect us to believe that the GOP House would pass any spending bill in the last 200 days?

• 88 Anonymous
      August 19, 2011 at 1:09 am

Thanks for this link meta. I hope rep Lewis call Maxine and tel her to stop the nonsense. I can see clyburn doing the same. They gave pbo their support when he was running. I heard waters say with attitude standing with Hillary here in la That she did not know him therefrom she gave her support to NRC. She was really nasty when she said it. (typing from my iPad, forgive errors)

• 89 Puddin'
      August 19, 2011 at 1:40 am

The only OTHER adult in the room…Rep. John Lewis seems to be a very humbled human being.

13. August 18, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Forgive me, but I’m going to add a clip of Anderson Cooper uncontrollably giggling his ass off on national tv. I enjoyed it cause i thought it was a bit of karma: You can skip to 2:33 to see him loose control:

14. 91 taiping1
    August 19, 2011 at 12:17 am

One Love:

Sent from my iPad

15. 92 taiping1
    August 19, 2011 at 12:26 am

American Prayer from 2008 with clips of “I Have a Dream” Still moving. Obama 2012

Sent from my iPad

16. 93 taiping1
    August 19, 2011 at 12:38 am

The clip in the sequence is from his speech just prior to his assassination in which MLK says he has been to the top of the mountain and has seen the promised land. No matter how many times I watch this I always get chills. Such prescience, love, and dedication. We can all learn from him.

17. August 19, 2011 at 12:40 am

I suspect President Obama will personally be writing his speech for this event while on vacation the next week. He likes to read and write on these vacations, as well as bike riding and hikes with the family of course. He’ll also have a major jobs/economy address soon after labor day as well – so even if he is on vacation he will have a lot on his mind. Has there been any indication if the jobs/economy address will be in prime time or will it be one of those afternoon speeches that I dislike because I don’t think they get their proper due.

• 95 theo67
      August 19, 2011 at 4:27 am

Don’t forget that the President is also making three appearances for 9/11, too. He’ll probably make comments at each stop. Those who are crying about his vacation don’t take into account that he’s got all this prep work to do while he’s on Martha’s Vineyard – and the daily briefings, too.

18. 96 lexusv
    August 19, 2011 at 12:48 am

I hope and pray that Sunday the 28th brings a healing to the many who are hurt and suffering, clarity to the disenfranchised, understanding to the outsiders, and peace to us all. There is so much work to do to get us back together for the fight!

19. 97 taiping1
    August 19, 2011 at 12:52 am

Check out this video on YouTube: one more on the realization of that dream. Michelle at UCLA Women for Obama rally, 2008

Sent from my iPad

20. August 19, 2011 at 1:30 am

Thanks for posting Ms. Chips, much appreciated!

21. August 19, 2011 at 2:00 am

She is “The Closer”. She is a wise teacher. Please share with your family and friends.

• 101 taiping1
      August 19, 2011 at 2:26 am

What she said is so true. We cannot give up dreaming and working to realize the dream for all. Just as MLK and all the civil rights activists in the 60s persevered we need to do the same. All that we have worked for is at risk as the forces of opposition, racism, homophobia, and autocracy combine to attack President Obama, destroying the economy, obstructing at every level just to take him down. But we will be just as persistent as those who went before us. Yes we can, again!

22. 103 Nili
    August 19, 2011 at 2:22 am

That Rosa, Martin, Obama quote is one of my favourite quotes out there. So powerful!

23. August 19, 2011 at 7:01 am

Good morning TOD friends.

When I was watching Rachel last night, she said that PBO is reading this book:

Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America
    Rick Perlstein

Has anyone here read it?

RSS OFA