Aug

‘fantastic 4′

ThinkProgress: At the main square in Benghazi, people have been gathering to celebrate the end of the rule of Muammar Qaddafi. As euphoric Libyan rebels advanced into Tripoli on Sunday, there were scenes of jubilation in the rebels’ de facto capital, Benghazi, where thousands celebrated in the streets.

One large sign in the middle of the square in Benghazi features a picture of the “Fantastic 4” (from right to left): Obama, French President Nicolas Sarkozy, British Prime Minister David Cameron, and U.S. Ambassador the U.N. Susan Rice. The text on the sign reads: “God Bless You All. Thanks For All.”

Thanks Tulips

Men take part in Friday prayers behind a banner honoring U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice, British Prime Minister David Cameron, France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy and U.S. President Barack Obama, at the main square of the rebel-held town of Benghazi, Libya, Friday, Aug. 12

Lexington (The Economist): I am on holiday for three weeks in a faraway corner of Cornwall, but the momentous news from Libya has reached even here. Barack Obama received a lot of stick for his cautious approach to the uprising in Libya. Liberals traumatised by Iraq could not believe he had started another war. Republicans mocked him for “leading from behind”. But with the collapse of Muammar Qaddafi’s regime now in prospect, his critics ought to eat at least some of their words.

Like many others, I had strong misgivings, but the president remained supremely calm throughout and the speech he made in March looks pretty good in light of what has now happened. The intervention could not have taken place without America’s technological help; it was conducted mainly by allies; it had the blessing of the UN Security Council and the Arab League; and for those reasons it has generated almost no blowback from the Arab world. In short, a job well done – though I don’t expect his Republican critics to be willing to admit this.

87 Responses to “‘fantastic 4′”

1. 1 Hachikō
    August 22, 2011 at 12:09 pm

The Fantastic Four! I love it!

2. August 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Cnn might show this. We should send it to them

3. August 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm

These pictures say it all. It’s hard for the GOP/ teabaggers to spin their crap in the face of pictures like this. They say much more than a thousand words.

4. 7 Sue in Minnesota
    August 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Glad to see Susan Rice acknowledged as well…I think she is formidable and doing an outstanding job.

We can not depend on the MSM, or recalcitrant Republicans to respect President Obama’s leadership role in this, so lets raise our voices and drown out theirs. Leadership matters. Truth matters. We matter.

August 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Brand new Obama campaign slogan from Sue in Minnesota:

Leadership matters. Truth matters. We matter.

Well done!

• August 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Sue, I join you in being pleased that Susan Rice was acknowledged. I have always been in her corner. She is a smart, savvy and classy woman.

The only thing I can say to David Gergen is eat a handful of manure. He may be applauding the president, but 95% of what he says about PBO is vile.

• August 22, 2011 at 3:23 pm

“The only thing I can say to David Gergen is eat a handful of manure.”

Well said, Dorothy….but I could also say that to Kucinich, Greenwald, Alexander Cockburn, David Swanson, Jane Hamsher….the list goes on.

Just sayin’…

• August 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

Nice list.

I wonder how they now feel being so publicly on the wrong side of history?

I suppose they’ll find another money-generating issue to beat Mr. Obama over the head with, and never mention Libya ever again.

• 12 Sue in Minnesota
        August 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Dorothy I appreciate Gergen’s consession…but what I really what to know is why he is so reliably wrong all the time.

I’ld buy David a “poop” sandwhich to see him take a bite, but I digress.

• 13 Eleroy
        August 23, 2011 at 12:04 am

LOL Dorothy!!! I signed on just to say the same thing, but it was more like, David Gergen is full of shit!!!

• 14 overseasgranny
      August 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

If Hillary does leave for PBO’s 2nd term, I most sincerely hope that Susan Rice gets the position.

• 15 Anonymous
      August 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm

LOVE her. Quiet but fierce! I would ALWAYS want her on my side of the negotiations.

• August 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I agree…well said.
      Leadership matters! Truth matters! We matter!

5. August 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm

For a minute I thought the woman in the pic was Angela Merkel – don’t ask, I just woke up. Now I see that its Susan Rice. Holy Cow! That’s fascinating.

• 18 Bill
      August 22, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Susan Rice is one of the most underrated people in the administration. She was also excellent during the 2008 campaigh.

August 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Definitely Bill. And that is the hallmark of the Obama Administration. People who are just doing their jobs, accomplishing REAL things, and not into posturing, media attention & 15 minutes of fame.

VP Biden,
        SOS Clinton
        Ambassador Rice
        Secretary Gates
        Admiral Mullen

• August 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Agreed. I remember way back in the very, very early days when PBO was mounting his primary campaign and he would hold these foreign policy sessions with Susan Rice and Samantha Power. They were brilliant conversations and a clear view into how PBO would operate when he won the election. BRAVO to PBO for selecting such brilliant women by your side.

August 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Notice the two end anchors in the poster are US officials. This picture is iconic. The historians of tomorrow will have lots of extraordinary & interesting material to work with.

7. 24 NMBLUSKY
    August 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Wow.. Awesome!

8. 25 Me4obama
    August 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I just tweeted it to @andersoncooper, @ mitchellreport and @wolfblitzercnn and I said ” you can’t SPIN THIS”

9. August 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I even saw a U.S. flag in the crowd on CNN last night. Can you imagine a U.S. flag amongst Middle Eastern rebels during the Bush Administration? Or any GOP President? The Repubs are hating this! And their comments are so unpatriotic!

10. 37 Tulips
    August 22, 2011 at 12:28 pm

David_Gergen David Gergen
    #Gadhafi seems finished! If so, #Obama/alliance approach vindicated. Critics (including me, Neo-cons,GOP, etc.) shd give credit.

• 38 Me4obama
      August 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I just blasted him on twitter and told him ” you are a Bitter Man towards Obama ONLY CNN @andersoncooper, @ wolfblitzercnn take you seriously I tune out everytime you come on”

August 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I think you may have misread what David Gergen tweeted. Seemed to give credit to President Obama.

• 40 majii
      August 22, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Hey, Tulips! Glad to see you. How are you?

11. 41 Debz
    August 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Amazing that the poster has PBO and Susan Rice, sadly in this country, how many people know who Susan Rice is? They don”t even know the names of their own congresscritters.

August 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

WOW, the “Fantastic 4″ image is already turning into a franchise!! I want my t-shirt.

That’s amazing :)

13. 44 CTGirl
    August 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I love it!

August 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Great Picture. Going to tweet this to media morons and their moron-in-chief @SenJohnMcCain.

15. 46 Sue in Minnesota
    August 22, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Oh lord, the forlorn 4…..is it even possible to find 4 pastier faces. These are the 4 dunderheads.

16. 47 Ladyhawke
    August 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm

From The People’s View – a lovely tribute to President Obama with beautiful words and an absolutely stunning picture.

“The Righteous Man”

Thank You Mr. President for Being Who You Are!

17. 48 MTmarilyn
    August 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Seeing this gives me chills. It is so surreal. This is what diplomacy really is. President Obama knows the world. If only he could do more here. Yes We Can!

18. 49 Dakota
    August 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

TOD Family…This took my breath away when I saw it!!! Mind-blowing and historic! It’s a damned shame that this country (MSM, PL, Teabaggers and the like) continually distract us with BS like birth certificates and how much time the President takes off, while the people of Libya know who Susan Rice is and what she and President Obama mean to the liberation of their country.

August 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Well said, Dakota. Probably if you went to a square in our country and asked around, like Jay Leno would do, not all that many would recognize Susan Rice’s name or face. Sad but true.

August 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Someone tweeted this:

“Obama=Mr. Fantastic, Rice=Invisible Woman, Cameron=Thing, Sarkozy=Human Torch”

20. 52 Sheila R.
    August 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm

How nice to see credit given to President Obama and his national security team.

21. 53 hgerhard
    August 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I just love the “Fantastic 4″ poster. It carries a message that cannot be explained away. I am particularly thrilled that the credit for the UN is given to Susan Rice, a member of the Obama administration. She embodies all that is great about the UN and our transformational President’s vision of a world working together to solve conflicts.

August 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Well, now you have me crying again, Chips! In addition to seeing President Obama’s image for all the world to see, it makes me so very happy to see Amb. Rice’s, as well. I just love her, and have since she first came on the scene. Congrats to the leaders in England and France, too, and to NATO as an organization (hey, if corporations are people, then I’m thinking NATO should be thanked).

I will bypass comment on the Forlorn 4 – no need to wreck a good celebration. Shudders. (Okay, I’ll just add Kucinich should know better.)

Finally, David Gergen. While sometimes he goes to the dark side, he also can be rational and good. His tweet is just that. Bravo, David!

• 55 utaustinliberal
      August 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Ambassador Rice really is amazing. She was great during the 08 campaign and when she was on The Colbert Report last week she was phenomenal!

August 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Yes, here is an MSNBC interview she did back in 2008 with Tucker:

I will try to find one she did on the Rachel Maddow Show at some point after Obama became President.

August 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm

utaustinliberal – Yes, I remember her during the campaign, and she was magnificent. I think there was some bad blood between her and candidate Clinton because of it, which is why it was also phenomenal that President Obama chose Hillary Clinton as SoS and Susan Rice as UN Ambassador. Once again, he put what might seem as a team of rivals together, which allows our country to benefit from the efforts of the brightest minds out there!

• 58 sjterrid
          August 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’m not completely sure, But I think it was Susan Powers that said something negative about Hillary Clinton in the primary. She did apologize.

23. August 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Fabulous! I love it! That picture with the President and Dr. Rice just gravy…Thanks for posting Ms. Chips!

• August 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm

AWESOME SIGN!!!!!

• August 22, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Exactly what u said..me too..!! Something about Ambassador Susan Rice being on that poster feels right.

• August 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm

It really does feel right, doesn’t it? Seems like the Libyans are more politically savvy than Americans in that they recognize the work she did to get the UN, NATO and the Arab League all on the same page with a brilliantly written resolution. (Seriously that resolution is a very underrated document) and big big kudos to those who managed to get Russia and China to not veto it.

24. 65 Debz
    August 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm

It was nice to see Susan Rice on Colbert last week. Once again, the comedian comes through. In the meantime the MSM gives us old cranky pants and his two idiot friends.

25. August 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Beautiful. When Gergen chimed in like he did, that suck sound heard on the right wasn’t from hiccups. ;-)

26. August 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm

There is news that PBO will be making a statement at 2PM EST.

• 71 nintendowii10
      August 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Will the media finally shut up about President Obama taking vacation? He can’t even enjoy his time off with all these events happening… and this is the same media that kissed President Bush’s ass even though he took MORE vacation time than ANY President in history!

• August 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thankfully for us, he’s spending more time reading those books he bought than listening to the gaggle of geese whining.

• 73 edp4bho
        August 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm

No way will the media shut up about PBO. When it can castrate the man who got Bin Laden, America’s so-called worst enemy, they will stop at nothing short of political homicide. This is what we have here……better suit up along with PBO.

27. 74 nintendowii10
    August 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm

And to think that Dennis the elf whined and whined months ago how President Obama should be impeached for his action in Libya… and then had the audacity to solicit donations because of it.

The pacifist and whining emoprogs need to suck it, President Obama is always right and they are always WRONG! If it had been up to them, Kadaffy Duck would STILL be in power, and they’d be blaming President Obama for not getting involved. Fucking hypocritical sacks of shit! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• 75 Christopher John
      August 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Well, he was on a slump after the Victory Over The Sandwich, he needed to drum something up. It *was* overly racist, too (“well, every situation’s different”). He has a history of racism and right-wing positions.

AND THIS IS OUR “WHAT’S GOING ON HERE?” (Kucinich’s old racist slogan) we need to start slinging –

We know about the Right’s decades-long plans to take over the courts and so on. We know that they are real – we can identify the players, chart the history, and see the effects.

This is looking like a Right takeover of the Left itself – led by “former” Right actors (Huffington, Hamsher, Ed Schultz, Kunicich, Paul “80 per cent of Democrats are ‘the crazies’”, etc.), using Right tactics against the President — deligitimise (“corporatist” is their “birth certificate”), demean (“BUSH III!!!”), and discredit (see the way his actions are continually and systematically misrepresented) — spreading the use of those kinds of tactics (along with the resulting intolerance and excommnication of anyone who doesn’t conform to the program) among the Left, and disintegrating the substance of the Left, as the past attcks on other institutions must have disintegratied them.

28. 76 PoliticalJunkessa
    August 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Beautiful. Big Ambassador Rice fan here! And as usual, our President shines and runs laps around the petty, craven, un-visionaries on the right and left.

Onward and upward.

August 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hey guys President Obama will be making a statement on Libya at 2PM EDT/ 1PM CDT/ 11AM PDT.

30. August 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm

AlArabiya tweet: NATO will bomb Gaddafi’s compound after sunset prayers.

31. 79 carolyn
    August 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Think of how much history we have observed being made big time this spring! Tunisia, Egypt, Osama bin Laden, now Libya, and I firmly believe we will see it in Syria soon. The president said it “love of freedom is stronger than the iron fist.” We are living in momentous times. I know we are all rejoicing with the people of Libya as we rejoiced with the people of Egypt. They have a chance now.

32. August 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

“Fantastic 4 (from right to left: …)”

OK, that took me about 1 second, and then it dawned on me why it wasn’t “from left to right” as it would be in “our” part of the world.

[ It helps if you have ever seen a PowerPoint presentation by PP savvy Israeli's - the texts always fly in from the right ]

33. 81 Christopher John
    August 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Wow, ANOTHER victory for the President while I wasn’t looking! (I was too busy paying attention to his *SUPREME* VICTORY reported last Friday, that the new INS guidelines are an administrative foot in the back door for *AMNESTY*.)

Yes, I remember the huge pro-U.S. rallies (in comparison, the ones after we invaded Iraq had a few dozen people and were largely staged) after we joined the intervention, while Dennis “What’s Going On Here“ (look it up) Kucinich” was tooting up his openly racist (“well, every situation’s different”) impeachment campaign.

Does anyone know what happened to WSY? The site is down right now.

34. 82 Christopher John
    August 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm

So, can someone remind me at what point we were “at war” in Libya? I’m still trying to figure that one out.

35. 83 Christopher John
    August 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Hmm . . . they must have a good Kinko’s in Benghazi . . .

36. 84 JoJothecat
    August 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

WOW! The “FANTASTIC FOUR” – TWO AMERICANS – AMB Susan Rice and PBO! Teabaggers and Rethugs brains must be exploding all over the country!

37. 85 virginia
    August 22, 2011 at 3:44 pm

It would be nice to see these pictures on MSNBC and CNN and even on the local DC stations. They showed the Libyans in front of the WH last night but failed to show the “Thank you Obama” sign on any station. At least I didn’t see it. And they’re trying to tell us they are not biased.!!!!

Another note: Remember that picture of the President walking grim faced out of the White House lastt week” I wrote in a comment about that picture that the last time he had that “look”, he got Bin Laden. So, Watch Out! I feel like a clairgvoyant now!!

• 86 virginia
      August 22, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I fund the picture I was talking about. It was shown here on August 13. The first time he had that expression was in a picture a couple of days before they got Bin Laden. The next time was the day they actually got him. H

38. August 22, 2011 at 8:39 pm

BWA HA HA Ya killin me with that pic and title of the FORLORN 4. What BITTER, BITTER, BITTER looking & acting fools.