Sep

paterson, new jersey

People cheer as President Obama’s motorcade travels through Presidential Boulevard in Paterson, N.J.

“I know that there’s been some talk about whether there’s going to be a slowdown in getting funding out here, emergency relief. As President of the United States, I want to make it very clear that we are going to meet our federal obligations – because we’re one country, and when one part of the country gets affected, whether it’s a tornado in Joplin, Missouri, or a hurricane that affects the Eastern Seaboard, then we come together as one country and we make sure that everybody gets the help that they need. And the last thing that the residents here of Paterson or the residents of Vermont or the residents of upstate New York need is Washington politics getting in the way of us making sure that we are doing what we can to help communities that have been badly affected.”

President Obama speaks to reporters with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J.

President Obama with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie as he prepares to depart Paterson, New Jersey

President Obama jogs down the ramp of Air force One as he arrives at Andrews Air Force Base after a trip to New Jersey

205 Responses to “paterson, new jersey”

1. 1 vitaminlover
    September 4, 2011 at 2:46 pm

This is MY President–doing what he does so well and most excellently!

2. 3 aamom
    September 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm

ok I said I wuzn’t gonna say nuthin…but Chris Christie needs to say outta pictures with Obama in them.

3. 10 Fred
    September 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I don’t think the Gov gets that kind of treatment unless he goes home or goes to one of his Teahadists rallies ;)

4. September 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Yep, that’s right the people hate this president ‘snark”!

5. 34 Me4obama
    September 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Maxine H2os won’t be happy with Black folks waving at the President.

• September 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I guess this is what she was talking about when she said she was going to unleash the people on PBO, lmao!

• 36 Debz
        September 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

ROFL The People of New Jersey are unleashed!!!

• September 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Ah, spoken truth to power, bjw2. I can’t wait for the presidential campaign to begin in earnest. More importantly I can’t wait for PBO to win his second term. We will see the true hypocrisy of so many pols and media folks.

Just you wait and see.

• 38 Mel
      September 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Me4obama Screw Maxine, she is not doing anything to help her distric, and she is corrupted I just had enough!!!!

September 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I use to respect Maxine Waters so much, whenever she would come on tv, I would make sure I listen to her. Now I don’t even want to see her picture, much less hear anything come out of her mouth.

6. 40 Fred
    September 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm

since the President is in New Jersey

The one where $60 billion in waste and fraud is ok by Republicans

Garrett to help seek federal aid for cleanup

Selective Oversight

7. September 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I suspect ms. Waters is trying to get the repugs to go easy on her ethics’ charges by attacking POTUS. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• September 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Same reason why I think Kucinich went off the rails – trying to save his district from being eliminated. “Look at me GOP redistricters, I attack the President from inside his own party – you guys have Reagan’s 11th commandment to protect GOP Presidents against that. I can be an asset to you to help you take down the President”.

September 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I think you are EXACTLY right!

• September 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm

She is barking up the wrong tree. Like an asp, the GOP will sink their fangs deep in her ankles. And those same producers beating down her door to book her on to demand the jobs from PBO, will equally tend to her.

• September 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm

That was my suspicion also.

• 48 Mel
        September 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm

dotster3 so was mine as soon as i find out that she was going on the Sunday talk Show I turned our TV off everytime i see her on the TV barking and complaining about PBO too many 4 letters words come out of my mouth sorry, PBO is The president of our time the 21th century woth a great vision for our country.

• September 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

No, I think she needs an excuse as to why she hasn’t done much for her district. African Americans live in her district as well as the districts of the CBC.

8. 50 Linda
    September 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Here is the title of a story over at Huffington Puke

Obama, Democrats Losing Labor Union Support

I guess they missed Trumpka giving the President a hug the other day .

• September 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Because President Perry or President Romney would be great for the labor movement. If Pres. Obama loses the presidency than it’s a safe bet to assume the GOP kept the House and won the Senate. Meaning you’ll see Walker on Steroids in the Federal Government.

September 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Also, didn’t the big unions try a ploy last election or the one before, that they weren’t sure if they were giving support to the Ds? I think it’s just a way for them to get politicians to pay attention to union/worker issues when they’re running for office.

Of course, they will be backing Democrats … unless they have totally lost their collective (pun intended) minds.

• September 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm

One thing to keep in mind, media creates a narrative and sticks with it, even in the face of irrefutable facts. Witness their push of Jon Huntsman at 1 percent as one of the leading GOP candidates.

I am only so glad that we have platforms like this and twitter to push back at them. I think when we push back, they know that we’re not sitting taking their lies as fact.

• 54 utaustinliberal
        September 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm

You’re so right about the creation of narratives by the media and how they run with it Africa. All I’ve been hearing today on MSNBC and other stations is that President Obama’s jobs plan has to be super super bold, he has to go big or go home, yadi yada yah. They’re already setting peoples expectations to stratospheric unrealistic levels. No one knows what’s in President Obama’s speech, no one knows the full extent of his proposals and to set people up for a faux disappointment or let down is more than disingenuous. President Obama is going to propose what he’s going to propose and like the adult he is; he’s going to try and work with republicans to get something done and if they keep throwing tantrums, then he can take his case to the American people in whatever forum he so pleases. Thomas Roberts even admitted to A.B. Stoddard that he, her, and the rest of his colleagues in the media were being disingenuous to an extent by dictating to the President what he should and shouldn’t propose, what he should and shouldn’t do and instead of just reporting that he’s giving a jobs speeh on thursday, they’re already somewhat misleading the average voter by offering opinions that have no basis in fact. I was shocked that he even admitted as much and then in the next breath, he told A.B. that he looks forward to continuing the converation with her during the week and hearing more of her opinions on what President Obama should say and do in his jobs speech. It’s like; are you freaking kidding me?

• 55 Debz
          September 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Who exactly is going to decide if the plan is big enough and bold enough? His entire Presidency has been this way though. Every one micro-managing everything he says and does, even to the point of those holding their own “if i were president” oval office address.

• 56 nathkatun7
            September 4, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I think the headlines and analyses of the President’s Jobs speech have already been written. The writers have already tossed the coin to bet how to judge the President after his speech. This is the way I see how the bet will be decided: “Heads the Republicans win; Tails President Obama looses.” In other words, for the MSM pundits, the PL blogs, and the teapublicans, anything that the President proposes, in his jobs speech, will automatically be labeled a failure. Hopefully, many Americans who will get a chance to listen to the President, without filters, and they will make their own informed judgments that go against the narratives being created by the media, the PL and the teapublicans. I don’t know about any one else, but I am just as capable of deciding what is positive and what is negative in the President’s speech without the aid of MSM pundits, or self anointed progressives who claim to represent the President’s base. That’s why I will either watch his speech on C-Span, or wait to see it posted in its entirety on any of the pragmatic sites, including this one, without the interruption of pundits trying to tell me what the President said, or who won and who lost.

• September 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm

And like clock work, no matter what he does is not sufficient in their eyes. That’s why I LOVE this president. He will do exactly what he believes is pragmatic and will help the American people. He never allows them to get into his head or change his mind.

And often even policies that he’s already discussed, will appear in print as if it is some bold new idea they’ve thought out. Witness Tom Friedman the other day, proposing something exactly PBO has been touting for ever. Stephen Benen did a piece on it calling Friedman out. Go figure.

Truthfully, given that we had no freedom of the press when I left home (things have changed somewhat), I respected the American press and was to some degree in awe of the American system. Now, not so much.

There is almost no original thought, just a bunch of sheeple trying to make news (albeit clueless at times) instead of reporting the facts. People are gunning to get lucrative book contracts, and it appears the more outrageous, they think the better their chances.

Go figure.

• September 4, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I wasn’t paying attention the, but did they do this shit to Bush?…………I didn’t think so. :?

• September 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Let’s see—-according to the media, he’s lost the black vote, the Hispanic vote, the young vote, the old vote, the “regular” white people vote and now he’s lost the union vote. They’re really putting forth a gigantic effort, aren’t they? Man, are they going to be surprised!

• 66 Mel
      September 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Linda yes they did those on the PL think that we do not notice trumpka was all over PBO lol I have a question for the PL do they want
      The GOP to take control of The House, The Senate, The Presidency, and the Supreme Court??????

• 67 nathkatun7
        September 4, 2011 at 8:40 pm

You know Mel, many in the PL are about making money; they could care less about solving real problems for people they pretend to speak for. I think they would like to see Republicans take over all three branches of government. That way they could continue to make money from us by pretending to speak for us. Many of the leading PL bashers of President Obama made tons of money, from their blogs and selling books, during George W. Bush’s presidency.

9. 68 Doris
    September 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Thanks Chips.

10. September 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I am always encouraged by how well the President is received when he gets out to local communities. They jam the streets for this man.

So…. back on my soap box asking the blog to support actions as well as news stories and opinions.

In an earlier thread Sue and Alice were talking about having a daily media action ad then debriefing on it at the end of the day. I think that is a fabulous idea. If we on the blog can keep our focus as the media goes off chasing squirrels, we will be much stronger.

Sue, and anyone else who wants to help, could you email me at whatisworking@gmail.com. Also Chips. let us know what you are willing to do here – this is your blog – your rules. I would love to see a few of us craft an action plan we can use daily at the blog.

On the subject of local, I have a suggestion.

Within our own community we have more clout than on a national level. Even if your town paper is far right there are local independent papers that are more reachable. I will give an example: The Press Democrat is our local paper, owned by the NYT but becoming more and more conservative. We also have “the Bohemian” an independent paper which is much more supportive of progressive issues. Recently the local PBS station started “the Northbay voice”.

So…. what if today, each and every one of us found the websites for 3 newspapers in their community. Bookmarked those sites, joined their facebook pages, wrote down their phone#s and email addresses. Then share that info here – I will gather it at my blog.

Now start reading your local papers, when you see a “letter to the editor” you like, let us know. I want to build a bank of letters we can use as source material for our own letters.

This type of action will have a number of benefits
    1. It makes it more likely our opinion will be reflected in the local news.
    2. We may discover folks on this blog who are our neighbors and who can become face to face support for us from now until 2012
    3. Doing stuff just makes you feel better.

So send me an email or post your paper info below.

• September 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’m IN for any ACTION PLANS. Would happily participate in these.

• September 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm

oops- sorry, just posted & ran, will check my one local paper online and two others around the state.. am busy ‘laboring’ in my yard – but will do this tonight and post here. thanks WIW for your consistent hard work and positive outlook.

• September 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thanks WiW,

Will do…

Bein’ proactive *IS* a good thing!

You keep doin’ what you’re doin’.

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together!
      YES.WE.CAN, Again…Obama/Biden 2012!
      I’M IN…FIRED UP & GOIN’! ;)

September 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm

WiW – I’d like to participate.

In the meantime, just checked the Peoria Journal Star website, here in IL. They are running the story of the awful U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh, who’s defending his decision to boycott the President’s address before the joint session of Congress. The story is one we all know, but I went to the comments section and – Yee-haw! – was very pleasantly surprised by the bashing Walsh is taking from local readers, who know their stuff. Luckily, he’s not my R congressman, but too close for comfort.

• September 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Co-sign everything you said, WIW.

Here:

PRINT MEDIA

*PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL

*INDEPENDENT NEWS

*GULF BREEZE NEWS

************************************************************************

LOCAL TELEVISION STATIONS:

WEAR TV (ABC AFFILIATE)

*Facebook

*News

FOX 10 OUT OF MOBILE, ALA. (FEEDS INTO PENSACOLA)

LOCAL 15 MOBILE, ALA. (FEEDS INTO PENSACOLA)

• 75 a4alice
      September 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Ha WIW You rock. OK. I just got back to here and I have to leave again. But When I get back I’ll look for 3 and post them. I’ll email you too quick b4 i go.

w00t!

am

• 76 Sue in Minnesota
      September 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm

WiW….I will be happy to e-mail you but it will be later this evening…sorry for that. I am glad to see people eager to engage in an ACTION COUNCIL of sorts. TOD is Chipsticks labor of love, it is her vision and because of her management it is the success that we appreciate and acknowledge. It also serves many functions, and meets different needs for individuals that are part of this community. Chipsticks word is the first word. If this is something that can be incorporated here awesome, if not, can we consider a sister site that supports the action agendas of this community.

I will confess openly and out loud I am absolutely an idiot with technology. That embarrasses me, but worse I recognize how that limits me.
      However I will participate in everyway that I can….I’m sure I’ll be learning alot as we go.

Here’s a idea that just rolled through my brain…..individuals have expressed resistance to engaging with Moveon.org, and not without reason. If we could communicate with people in their organization to get some questions answered before we entirely reject them, or if some of us can attend in person local events to get a clearer picture of their overall vibe. I personally am not willing to be involved with progressive organizations that can not find creative and cpnstructive ways to air their differences of opinion with the President. He above all others has my full support. Political pressure from the left can be a positive force for the progress we would like to see as a nation but it should fortify and not divide.

Gotta run…..WiW I’ll e-mail you tonight. Thanks for all your energy and effort I hope I can come close to matching it. I am quite excited :D

• 77 a4alice
      September 5, 2011 at 12:08 am

OK. I’m putting this in the latest blog entry as well as here.

Community voices section

Opinion
      Local/Politics

Opinion
      Politics

TV:

News/political

News/politics

11. September 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm

The President should do a “walk-about” for an hour or until Chris Christi starts gasping for breath! Repubs keep urging him to “run” for president against PBO but I bet you he can’t even “walk” without helocopter and ambulance nearby in case he starts to deflate. These people would not last a day in PBO’s shoes.

• 80 Fred
      September 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Christi might pass out from all the walking;need I remind you that he travels on helicopter on New Jersey’s tax payer $ and let’s not forget his “Asthma attack” of a few weeks ago :roll: :lol:

• September 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Aternoon Fred. IMO repubs are secretly jealous of PBO’s fitness ( how many of them can land a jump shot?), intellect, ( they wished they had his resume) his good looks, his happy, sane home life, the adoration of his admirers abroad, the respect of his fellow world leaders and his general calm, cool disposition. They will TRY to turn every one of these assets into a negative ie. swiftboating. It will not succeed.
        YES WE CAN!

• 82 Fred
          September 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm

afternoon Dona.Good to see you.You are on the $ about the Repub’s jealousy and from your lips and heart to GOD’s ears and heart

12. 83 FTL
    September 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Now what I am about to say maybe wrong but, the only thing I could think when I saw the pictures of Chris Christie was good God look at Porky the Pig. Ththth…that’s all folks.

13. 86 e
    September 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm

damn I wish I was there. I was born in paterson

14. 87 FTL
    September 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Ok one more, don’t they look like the number 10 backwards?

September 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’m sorry…I know that I have been busy at work, but did anyone else miss this like I did?
    http://www.oliverwillis.com/2011/08/31/former-bush-official-was-advising-gaddafi-on-how-to-beat-rebels-with-pr/ Beat US and NATO? I would say that’s treasonous..no?

16. September 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Love the post! But Senator Menendez is listed here as a R. He’s a D. Definitely a D!

17. 95 Ceb
    September 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm

PBO ,aka the energizer bunny, is always on the run literally and figuratively. CC is getting a workout today!

18. 96 Ceb
    September 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm

The SS agents look scary and dangerous. They are fierce on their protection of PBO. I sometimes get a little concerned when the president dives into the crowds, but I know that the SS is on the case; those we see and those we do not.

19. 97 aamom
    September 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm

The Prez in my state – Michigan, deeetroit, the motorcity….Tomorrow.YES. wall to wall coverage on all the teevee stations. I can’t wait!!!

20. September 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Wonder what he’s saying to Chris Christie in the last pic?

21. 104 Linda
    September 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hey… Senator Menendez is a Dem…not a Republican…..

22. 106 Betsy
    September 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I don’t like gov. Christie, but he looks like alot of Americans. Americans who vote. Criticize Christie’s politics all you want, but getting personal, calling him a pig, etc. renders us exactly on the level of the Republicans who put Obama down for being black (using other words).

• 107 Doris
      September 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm

+1,000. We are just as guilty as the Republicans in some regards. I think that the visit was totally non-partisan on the part of both men and I commend them both for putting the people above politics. I’m sure that this is the way the President would want us to see it. We don’t always need to be critical of everything.

• September 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Agree—-there are times when it’s probably more attractive to be charitable. This is one of those times. Obama and Christie set the tone for the day.

• 109 Leigh
      September 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Betsy-

I agree, the profanity lately on here, and the personal insults on Chris Christie does unfortunately put “us” on the level of the Republicans. Christie is a big guy, but I don’t think he should be called out of his name. Anyway, I’ll continue to pray for everyone affected by Irene.

• 110 conlakappa
      September 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I work in health and fitness and don’t make jokes about people’s weight. I will, however, submit that Christie doesn’t look like “a lot of Americans.” How many people do you think weigh over 300 lbs.? Asking that people not tell jokes is certainly fair and admirable. Pretending that Christie is like a goodly number of his fellow citizens is just too “everyone gets a trophy,” IMO.

23. 111 Kathryn Kivett
    September 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Allright, allright, now don’t take this wrong and don’t jump all over me….but….at least he is a repub that actually seems “glad” that PBO is in NJ and doesn’t appear to be afraid to show it…knowing full well the flack he is going to receive like Charlie Crisp did in Fla….I fully believe he asked PBO to go there….and for showing respect to PBO, I am prepared to cut him some slack….but I agree, the optics are brutal for the Governor.

24. 113 Linda
    September 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I watched a really good show last night on cspan’s After Words….it will be replayed tonight at 9:00 . The author is Randall Kennedy.

After Words: Randall Kennedy, “The Persistence of the Color Line: Racial Politics and the Obama Presidency”

In his latest book, legal scholar Randall Kennedy explores the influence of racial politics on the administration of the first African American president. Some of the questions he attempts to answer are: whether black Americans feel obligated to support the Obama presidency, whether they have special expectations of Mr. Obama, and whether the president should feel a unique racial obligation to his most loyal constituency. He delves into these topics with American Urban Radio White House correspondent April Ryan.

—–

Randall Kennedy is the author of several books including “Race, Crime and the Law,” and “Sellout.” He received his undergraduate degree from Princeton and his law degree from Yale. A Rhodes Scholar, he served as a law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall. He is currently a professor at Harvard Law School.

Although he did not know Barack Obama while at Harvard….he knew of him….he said everyone talked about him all the time as one of the most brilliant students there. Also Michele Obama had done research for him . He was invited to their wedding but could not attend.

He is not critical of the President, but does not always agree with him. It was a very good interview and very informative .

• 114 Linda
      September 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Oh…he discusses some of the missteps that were made with the Beer Summit and Shirley Sherrod as well as Rev. Wright and the speech in Philadelphia.

• 115 aamom
      September 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm

not only that Mr. Kennedy was on Tavis PBS show earlier this week. Had to smack down Smiley’s points at several times. I also ordered the book this morn on Amazon. His main point was Obama must adhere to electoral politics in order to win in 2012. I took that to mean…post-racial.

• 116 majii
      September 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I can answer his question about whether most AAs support PBO because he identifies as AA: NO. In general we vote for candidates for the same reason as everyone else–we identify with the candidate’s positions on the issues that are important to us, the country, and our families/communities. I have been using the SAME set of criteria in deciding which political candidates I will vote for since I cast my first vote in college in 1972, and all of them have been white, except one, for whom I voted for mayor of my city. IMO, this is one of the most persistent fallacies that many have been focusing on since PBO was elected, and it is very insulting to me because it ignores the fact that AAs have been voting for mostly white politicians since we were first able to vote. Many republicans, and some democrats, fail to understand that race is not the major issue that determines for whom AAs will vote. It’s the politician’s policies and how they affect us, our families, the nation, and our communities that largely determines the candidates many AAs will support at the ballot box.

• 117 ber6964
        September 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Thank You!
        I think most of us would agree with your sentiment.
        I also think that They think We are Stupid!

• 118 nathkatun7
        September 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I totally agree with you majii! Let me be clear: There is absolutely no way I would vote for Allan Keys, Allan West, Michael Steele, Kenneth Blackman, or Justice Clarence Thomas, if any of them run for President. All these are AA/Black. This idiotic notion that all AA support President Obama because he is black insults our intelligence. How come AA didn’t come out in large numbers to support Alan Keys when he run for President? I am sick and tired of people, both on the left and the right, who continue to insult the AA community. Of course we are proud of President Obama, just as the Irish community was proud of JFK! But our pride does not mean that we blindly support him without any regard to the policies he champions. Most importantly, many of us defend President Obama because we have been witness to the nefarious attacks on brilliant AA who defy the stereotype of Black inferiority. Some of us who are a bit older remember the humiliation that AA giants like Paul Robeson and W.E.B. DuBois were subjected to. For me, I take it personally when Black intellect is despised and denigrated. This is what I see happening to President Obama when every Tom, Dick and Harry, think they know more than he does and want to tell him what to do.

• 119 zizi
      September 4, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I’m watching the Randall Kennedy interview now @ 9:00 EST, and quite frankly i find him very disingenuous. I’m not sure why you recommend his claptrap. the way he condemns the Philadelphia Race Speech was total bunk. For him to say rather snidely that this speech does not in any way deserve to be on the same page as MLk’s let alone the same anthology is pure jealousy. no one is claiming parity between MLK and PBO speeches, but to condemn it as not being a good speech save its political utility smacks of a blinkered view. He is a shrewder version of Cornel, an old guard of the gatekeepers who are angry that PBO did not kiss their ring on his way to the top. I find nothing illuminating about his interview. We all lived through 2008 and know every detail of PBO’s candidacy more than Kennedy does.

25. September 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I want to hear what Obama said. He’s always so good in these situations. Hopefully, there will be a local news vid.

September 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Chipsticks, you are really really really testing our politeness meter with the pictures of Gov. Christie next to President Obama. *Must remember that today is sunday. Must remember that today is sunday. Must remember that today is sunday. Must remember that today is sunday* ;)

• 122 Sue in Minnesota
      September 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I hear ya UT. I would like to defend a comment I made, and I did not make it with the intentions of being snarky, rude or worse ,causing offense. Chris Christie has a legimate weight problem. What it respresents to me is universal to the condition of being a human. We all struggle with personal shortcomings, many of which will manifest themselves in our physical being. I suspect not unlike myself, Governor Christie has some personal issue he is not addressing, What I sympathize with, is the effort and courage it takes to be self reflective and willing to make changes and improvements with respect to our short falls. It goes on for the course of our lifetimes. :D The fact is Governor Christie is fat, and in the same photo frame with President Obama, the optics (those damn optics again) are not good.

A person’s weight issues are not a measure of their worth, simply an indication that they struggle with, for all kinds of reasons, taking care of their bodies. But I don’t think it is an uncompassionate position to recognize perceived struggles another human being may be having with their own self potential.

• September 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Well, I think it’s a very serious issue. From what I can see, it appears that Gov. Christie is morbidly obese, a very, very serious condition. To the extent that people want him to be our next POTUS, it’s going to be a topic of discussion and it deserves to be discussed seriously.

27. September 4, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Here’s Reuters account of today with some Obama quotes, don’t know if it’s the same as posted above:

28. September 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

PBO’s motorcade via Patterson street.

29. 138 globalcitizenlinda
    September 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

wow! the things you see in this world

30. September 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Hi, Chips! I can always tell when you are here/playing least in sight when I sign on by glancing quickly to the right. :) Glad you’re here now and hope your Sunday has been fantabulous! [Yeah! Yeah! There’s no such word, but who cares? Pas moi.] Off I go to see what’s new on site.

• 140 Doris
      September 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Oh, I used it too, didn’t see your’s. I think its a word and Chips has been fantabulous, well she always is!!!!

31. September 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Our President with a Republican Governor, working together for the good of the people. This is what we all want, recognize it, acknowledge it, and smile. No hate today.

32. September 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

The president says in new jersey- we will do everything we can, snd the whole country is with you!

33. September 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Hey folks, here’s another simple action item if you are into it.

I’m on a local Dem mailing list and I got an email from one of members about PBO’s ozone decision. This person was angry and saying they wouldn’t work hard for PBO’s election, etc, etc. So before the whole mailing list spiraled out of control, I went here:

and I cut and pasted PBO’s 3 paragraph statement on the issue and asked everyone to please read his position verbatim. This statement clearly says that he is postponing the decision for 16 months, he is not scraping the decision. I got some appreciative emails in return. So we can help people who really don’t understand what’s happening because they only read headlines or PL blogger responses by simply providing with direct evidence of PBO’s position. If you hear any rumbling, just please pass along the truth. Thanks.

34. September 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm

And what do you think the president should say in his jobs speech? And what about you? And you? And you? And you? And you? And you?
    What is this the sound of music?

35. September 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Via twitter:

@SenatorMenendez
    Large crowds in #Paterson to welcome @BarackObama. Despite floods from #Irene still the audacity of hope

36. September 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm

OK, so I sent a tweet this morning to DWS :

@metaquest
    When Gov Christie can figure out how to praise PBO/Dems rush to camera only to blame, there’s something wrong with this picture.

She responded with:

@DWStweets
    I try to always have glass half full outlook. Shld find good in everyone, tho some make it tough. #Unity

@metaquest
    I just responded to her with:
    Thanks for the heart check. Love your efforts to keep us whole and human.

I guess we have to try to see the positive and work as hard as we can.

• 164 Doris
      September 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Way to go Meta.

September 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I’m copying her words, exactly (and I thank you for sending yours to her). If she can see the glass half full, we can.

• September 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

When I feel embattled, I fight back hard, especially when it comes to the torrent of what I feel is unjust criticism for a man I hold in the highest regard and for whom I feel so much gratitude. I know I need to take a deep breath sometimes because when it comes to the ground game, we have to try to listen to those who may be disappointed and respond with civility and facts at the ready in order to build and rebuild our coalition. It’s just very hard not to get furious sometimes when we see and hear the outrageous accusations and expectation of someone who has achieved so much.

September 4, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I know, I know. I can barely stand hearing “disappointment” from certain people, especially if I once thought they had a brain.

But I’m trying to position myself a little better, so I personally don’t “lose it,” just in case I can squeeze even one vote out of somebody.

Luckily, supporting President Obama to the core of my being is worth it.

37. 169 Valerie
    September 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I want to share a video with you guys regarding workers that cant find jobs and jobs that cant find work….Pretty interesting video from PBS. one of the most telling statistics shows unemployment rate for those with no high school diploma @ 14.3%, unemployment rate for those with high school diploma 9.6% and unemployment rate for those with a Bachelors degree 4.3%….. education is the key !!

• September 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm

And those with a bachelors degree average 1038 dollars per week in wages!

Not bad!

• September 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Yes, yes, yes. “education is the key”. It’s almost the whole deal. If we could only get all parents to make success in school the #1 priority. A few will be lucky and be able to succeed in sports or entertainment, but that’s like winning the lottery. “Education is key” for the great majority, the one determining factor for a successful future, an equalizer, a protection.

38. September 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm

My home town had a newspaper that was so far right, it just was awful. The newspaper sold just as I moved back. The new owner started off in the same vain as the old guy, but gradually is becoming more centered. I went in to talk to him a few times about political issues, and wrote letters to the editor which he published. I try to be very calm and factual in my letters. I sure can’t take credit for changes here, but I am part of the change. We need to let people know the truth about the accomplishments of the president, his view of the future, and the truth about people like the Koch brothers.

September 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Beautiful! Love the fact you visit the editor, to express your views.

• September 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this experience.

Let’s all do more of this sharing because it helps bolster our energy and because it provides us with more ideas about how we can influence our own community. And if you can change one block, you can change a city……you know the rest!!

• September 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Great and thank you. I used to write LTEs all the time, going against the grain in my conservatve-ish area, and I’ve kinda stopped since I started blabbing away online.(and I got some creepy responses mailed to my home) But people will come up to me, some I barely know, and will say they miss my letters, that they were so happy to see my point of view among all the far right rants. I think I will start again. Many seniors do not participate online but read the daily paper, and they vote!

• 177 Doris
        September 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Yep, I’m in a senior community and they do read their papers, lol. Very few are online like me, so anything you put out there, they are very likely to read and then sit around and discuss. Please be safe though.

39. September 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Here is some video of President Obama touring the affected areas in New Jersey:

40. September 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm

This is from the hill newspaper, but this proposal from cantor does not sound unreasonable for immediate infrastructure projects:

Thoughts?

PS- skip comments tea bag section!

• September 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oops- rather than linking the hill I will tell you what he said! Ten percent of tge annual DOT budget is for states to spend on specific miscellaneous projects, he said if we redirected those funds directly to states infrastructure projects- that would help immediately!
      Me thinks, that is an olive branch from cantor!

• 186 Linda
        September 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm

He actually said ” specific” and “miscellaneous” in the same sentence ?

Ha ! He is so dumb.

• 187 Sue in Minnesota
        September 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Is he co-opting the President with the work PBO is doing behind scenes. That was my first instinct. I need to rad it for myself, but i am late getting out the door. Thanks Jovie, you always bring a wealth of information/and references ..like Fred, a research specialist.

41. September 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Hey, Ms. Chips. I’ve been posting pics from these threads individually on Twitter. People are loving them and retweeting. Thanks so much for the hard work that you do. We are the ones who have to get the truth out there. I also blasted the media for its lack of coverage (as usual).

42. September 4, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Obama tours flood-ravaged New Jersery:

RAW FOOTAGE OF PRESIDENT OBAMA ARRIVING IN CALDWELL NEW JERSEY:

43. September 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm

OT but important. Here are two columns that appeared in my Indianapolis Star today that totally shocked me. Both are supportive of my Rep Andre Carson for calling out some in the tea party and republican party for racism and policies that will hurt poor people. The Star is so right wing and anti-Obama. It was our stupid Republican mayor who refused to go to the WH saying “he didn’t do celebrity.” I wrote a scathing letter to the editor about that which actually got printed.

I sent both columnists an email thanking them for their courage. We need more of it.

• 194 Linda
      September 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

The comment are awful.

• 196 Fred
      September 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm

thanks for this POO but I respectfully disagree with Mr Carpenter when he says this “Maybe he should have chosen his words more circumspectly. ”

why should black folks;gays;Mexicans and Muslims hold back when expressing their feelings about the racist;sexist;homophobic;xenophobic;all the insults and allegations going our way coming from the Teahadists? These folks have not spared us since President Obama’s been in office and it will get horrible come next year

September 4, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Not good, and not surprising.
    http://www.balloon-juice.com/2011/09/04/sickeningly-hard-times-literally/ The link of increased hospital visits tied to foreclosures, and the stress from that.

45. 198 Me4obama
    September 4, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Obama 2012: 2011 Summer Organizers have lunch with President Barack Obama
    2:45

Add to
    HQ

BarackObamadotcom
    Sep 2, 2011 — 28,796 views
    133 likes, 52 dislikes
    Get Involved: http://my.barackobama.com/S…  The president took some time to have lunch with a select few of Obama for America’s 2011 Summer Organizers — to talk organizing, the campaign, and the future.

Related videos
    Comments

46. 200 chiara
    September 4, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Makes me a bit sad that this job has given him so much gray hair in such a short period of time but I must say if you’re going to be forced to go gray you definitely want it to look as good as it does on our POTUS!

• 201 Doris
      September 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I know Chiara, but he was called for such a time as this.

September 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

The President said that even with the gray hair, Michelle still think he is cute, so that’s all that matter.

• 203 chiara
        September 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Oh don’t get me wrong, Michelle isn’t the only one who thinks he’s cute, I think he looks awesome, I’m just bummed that because of the epic number of crises that he has had to deal with that it happened so quickly.

September 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Remember POTUS and FLOTUS on Oprah show in May, Michelle made a comment that she knew he was ready for this job, the question was, are we ready? Thank God we have the right man in charge, gray hair and all.

47. 205 halo
    September 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Chipsticks, is there any video of his comments?

RSS OFA