Sep

a word…. or several

Hello people.

Okay, finally: about Friday. You know, when things got a little heated around here. :???:

Just to clear up a bunch of stuff:

* No, this place hasn’t turned in to Huffy Firebagger Kos, as some of you suggested. It will always be a blog for those smart enough to support President Obama and his efforts in the face of all that poison from the right and their buddies on the ‘left’.

* Fire/Teabagger bile is blocked here, and I do my best to weed out trolls.

* With that in mind, I’m asking you all – very, very politely – to trust that the people who post here regularly, and who sometimes express their frustrations over different issues (as some did on Friday), are not Fire/Teabaggers, and don’t ever deserve to be branded with that slur.

* Some seriously good people were abused here on Friday, and accused of all sorts (the worst of which I deleted), simply for sharing their frustrations – some of which, for what it’s worth, I share too. That was ugly, and wrong.

* I know, most of you want this place to remain an upbeat refuge, it’s why you come here, and that’s largely what it will remain – but we can handle debate, we’re not Fire/Teabagger sheeple who bow to their ringleaders’ absolute opposition to the President and never dissent from that line, no matter what. We’re way smarter than that.

* So, debate will always be welcome here, and if that debate gets passionate and contentious at times, well, that’s good – and it’s healthy.

* By all means, argue back if you don’t agree with those expressing frustration – but attack the message, not the messenger, okay?

* No, Firebagger memes aren’t welcome here, because they’re just hate-fueled baseless spite, but the views of supporters of the President who reckon the administration could do a whole lot better in boosting his hopes of re-election will always be welcome. Some of you feel disagreement among the President’s supporters gives encouragement to his opponents – I’d argue that it does the opposite, because it shows we’re capable of debate, unlike the mindless sheeple. And nothing scares the poor old Fire/Teabagger sheeple more than freedom of thought …. for them, it’s a terrifying and alien concept.

* What I’m asking you all, more than anything, is to ‘disagree without being disagreeable’, as the man said. I gave up posting on a bunch of sites, now overrun by Firebaggers, simply because of the levels of venomous abuse thrown at people for expressing their honest views. I won’t allow that happen here.

* I’m not in to rules, at all, but I’m going to set one now: Nastiness towards fellow posters is not acceptable here, ever.

* Call me old-fashioned, but I’m just asking for some civility.

We can do that, right?

Thanks for hearing me out, love ya all.

95 Responses to “a word…. or several”

September 5, 2011 at 12:14 am

OMG!!!! That’s the comic that my husband has posted up for me! It’s our own personal joke now:) Love it!

2. 3 a4alice
    September 5, 2011 at 12:15 am

excellent. respectful discussion is a good thing – thanks Chips.

3. 4 a4alice
    September 5, 2011 at 12:16 am

Hey WIW if you’re around – i know it’s late but here’s my info:

Community voices section

Opinion
    Local/Politics

Opinion
    Politics

TV:

News/political

News/politics

4. September 5, 2011 at 12:16 am

Love ya back, Chips. Respectful discussion and debate is a healthy thing. Thanks for all you do.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• 9 Mel
      September 5, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thank you Chipsticks yes sometimes we go off truck, but let’s be calm and respect each other, we are smart people
      with the same goals to support PBO I’am glad that I found this site and I also like BWD debate is healthy all of you are very good people
      and Chipsticks dos a terrific job in keeping us safe.

• 10 prettyfoot58
      September 5, 2011 at 11:06 am

I agree….

a house divided against it self can not stand…

5. September 5, 2011 at 12:17 am

We all want the same thing…the reelection of our president in 2012. Let us work towards that goal, as a family that can have disagreements but always respect one another. Obama-Biden 2012

6. September 5, 2011 at 12:20 am

You do a great job here, chips. Thanks, and thanks for the reasonable advice.

September 5, 2011 at 12:20 am

Chips…that sounds reasonable. I wasn’t here on Friday and missed the fracas, but I hope that everyone has taken a breath and has moved past all that happened. We are all so passionate about this President and frustrated about the state of our country….the inequality of party bias,racial bias,and just general crap.Going to be a long haul, but we can do this together.Thank you for this site and all the smart, passionate conversations that happen here.

September 5, 2011 at 12:23 am

Okey dokey Chips. Thanks for all the hardwork.

9. September 5, 2011 at 12:31 am

Good points chip. I was thinking, can you imagine what Lincoln was going through? Later, he was know to be as 1 of the top two presidents we ever had!

• 17 Sue in Minnesota
      September 5, 2011 at 1:01 am

I hear he was treated very poorly….not unlike our current President, who will I believe, rank right up top with the Honorable Mr. Lincoln.

Thanks Chipsticks for all you do which includes from time to time mediating disagreements. I agree that debate is healthy, if we learn to do it effectively we will be better communicators in general, and better spokespeople for our President.

• 18 gn
        September 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

I’m currently reading Team of Rivals, and it’s uncanny…the same accusations that Lincoln was kinda weak, sorta clueless, a little detached, supposedly needed dictation from the hair on fire-ish people of his time, people whose hearts were absolutely in the right place and who had the moral legitimacy of strong abolitionist advocacy, but who were *way* less skilled than Lincoln with respect to navigating political realities and timing. I’d find a Lincoln presidency unacceptable were it to take place today, but for his time, it was pretty revolutionary in that a country which had no interest in shedding any white blood over the issue of slavery indeed did so in fact if not in intent. What it took to obtain that outcome was a series of wily moves, concessions, genuine changes of heart, and impeccable management skills. I see no less a skill set in President Obama.

I think that the issue which comes up with debates is the usage of talking points which don’t really comport with reality…the “he’s not leading!” and “we need him to fight!” while downplaying if not ignoring the tangible policy measures which President Obama has obtained. Perfect example: the meme, lifted straight from the right wing, that the teaparty got 98% of what was desired from the debt ceiling negotiations…um…if entitlement benefits being taken off the table and triggers to military spending being put on is 98% of what the teaparty wanted, I’m Naomi Campbell ;-)

Ditto for points which focus solely on somehow winning over the media…in 2008, we used to joke about everything being “great news for John McCain!” because during the general elections, so many stories were tilted that way. After MA, healthcare reform was supposedly dead, there are so many examples of the media not being behind this POTUS that I personally think that it’s kind of naive to think that anything but a public willing to call out these excesses will produce national media reform.

I hope that everyone here keeps on keeping on, and I hope that this space indeed doesn’t devolve into another dailychaos, because that sort of lack of focus results in a waste of time and energy, and IMO unduly spreads misery where hope is the far more effective motivator for people to get active, and all *become the change we seek.* It’s said so often that perhaps it’s become trite, but doesn’t make it any less true: President Obama cannot do this by himself. He, and we, need people who believe in this country and believe that we can make progress, to ride shotgun on this journey. Yes we can, yes we did, and yes we will. And even if everyone is not able to stay for the entire ride, I appreciate each person who helped to create a thriving pragmatic progressive community. Try to stay positive, everyone!

• September 5, 2011 at 11:07 am

Morning Gn, like the way you expressed things in this comment, but then I usually did. Haven’t seen you in a while, so here’s a belated welcome to TOD from me.

• 20 gn
            September 5, 2011 at 11:35 am

Hi there, vc, and thanks so much for the welcome! I’ve been traveling in real life a lot, and for blogging, I now post mainly on POU (link is attached to my screenname), a space to which 90+% of the weeseeyou community migrated after we were kicked off of wsy (the owner of that space, webb, stopped seeing eye to eye with rest of the community—thought were too obot-ty, lol). I’m just grateful that we’ve got such a great pragmatic network of blogs. I have to remind myself often: hope is a choice, and so is positivity, and both are far superior with regards to creating progressive change than cynicism and worry, and that goes for politics and beyond. My two cents.

• September 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

‘I’m just grateful that we’ve got such a great pragmatic network of blogs.’

So true, and I have dreams of them working together more and more to accomplish positive pushback over the ensuing months. Chips linked to the explanation behind POU’s birth a little while ago. In one way it was sad to read about the implosion, but it was also empowering to see how quickly the new community regrouped. And yes, I agree that each person can make the choice to move forward with positivity. Enjoy your ‘Labour Day’ activities!

• 22 gn
                September 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I thought it was pretty stellar that almost every active wsy commenter had migrated to POU literally within days. Prime example of the impossibility of defeating determined supporters of not merely this POTUS, but the progress, sorely needed, which he’s managed to usher in. Can’t be broken. And it was just *wonderful* that Chipsticks and other spaces did so much to inform people about POU; I think we’ve got something very special going with the pragmatic new media spaces and indeed, I anticipate a very exciting election season. Enjoy the holidays to you and every single person at this wonderful site as well!

• 23 Sue in Minnesota
              September 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm

“Hope is a choice, and so is positivity” Amen to this! And remember this every step of the way.

What we focus on expands, what we give energy to grows….choose to be positive and act accordingly.

• September 5, 2011 at 11:26 am

GN, were we separated at birth?

• 26 Chi
          September 6, 2011 at 7:21 am

Absolutely spot on GN…

I’ve long marveled at your ability to capture and articulate ever so brilliantly what needs to be said…

You’ve always been one of my absolute favorite posters…probably has a lot to do with the fact that you’re not only brilliant with a solid and unshakeable core, but an impressively articulate, consistent, unwavering, unapologetic and formidable supporter of our all around amazing President…

I’ve always meant to thank you for being one of the most positive, focused, inspiring, unfickle, smart, effective and unyielding examples amongst us proud Obots…

Thank you for never falling prey to despair or prefacing your support with the now ubiquitous ‘I don’t always agree with’…or offering disclaimers, halting qualifiers in your support of President Obama….

Thank you for never indulging in any of the hand-wringing or hysterics that manages to detract, depress, diminish and demoralize and is just so maddening one is tempted to say to hell with it and let America get the theatrical, optics focused, loudmouth bully it clearly craves and deserves…

Thank you for never feeling the need to pile on with directives, criticisms, instructions to our brilliant, deliberate and evolved but much maligned and attacked President whose mind, heart, judgement and political savvy we all claim to respect and trust but still unwittingly challenge and chip away at…

Thank you for spending time instead intelligently and effectively exposing the real villains and pushing back on the false narratives and those who make them up and perpetuate them…

• 27 gn
            September 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I;m days late, but this is one of the nicest things which has been said to me; thank you Chi, vc, sue, and tien! I love your commentary as well.

September 5, 2011 at 12:34 am

Night all…see you tomorrow:)

11. 29 Jennifer
    September 5, 2011 at 12:41 am

Thanks, Chipsticks – I haven’t been around much the last few weeks, so I missed the fracas. I commit to being civil when I post here. Thank you for your hard work and love to you and all the TOD family.

12. 30 taiping1
    September 5, 2011 at 12:50 am

Thanks for all you do and your clarity. We support the President so much we could emulate him in his cool: we can disagree without being disagreeable. It is important to listen to all sides and to respect one another. We would not be so passionate if we did not care so much. And again we should not be afraid of civility. Yes we can do more together! We are so fortunate that this blog is moderated so the crazies and trolls do not pollute the waters.

13. 31 Bobfr
    September 5, 2011 at 12:55 am

If the first black, multicultural, single-parent nurtured, depression-era grand-parented, community organizer President of the United States of America can take all the hateful insults, incessant bigotry, willful efforts to destroy the middle class and the American economy to ensure he is not re-elected consistently is empathetic, balanced, productive and amazingly, smilingly pleasant, then the least each of us can do is treat each other accordingly.

President Barack Hussein Obama is burdened in ways beyond my comprehension, he is way skillful at debate and managing highly contentious issues, requests genuine opposing views if they are matched with substantive alternatives, so let’s emulate the President. It’s likely we will be way more successful in assisting him in his re-election, and most importantly, saving our Republic from the gravest, most focused threat to destroy it since 1861.

Thank you Chipsticks for the amazing grace and effort you bring to the special place you created.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

• 32 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      September 5, 2011 at 2:02 am

If he can do it. We can do it. Or at least try. It really is amazing that he doesn’t blow a fuse.

• 38 Kate
      September 5, 2011 at 5:40 am

Thank you – I so agree with this. These are intense times, but context is all. The main thing is…have a good look at Rick Perry and his crowd…and their agenda. Frankly, breathtakingly cynical and astoundingly regressive. Terrifying. Then have a good look at the quite extraordinary (IMHO) president, who is also a human being who (yup) makes mistakes in the face of the thicket of vengeful resistance to everything he proposes…because he is the one proposing it. Not just the US, but the world needs this man to lead this country for the next four years. So let’s not turn on one another, there is work to do…

• 39 Sue in Minnesota
        September 5, 2011 at 10:59 am

Rick Perry reminds me of a clown. And I have always been creeped out by clowns :shock:

• September 5, 2011 at 11:31 am

There are times when I think that a lot of the ‘left’ would be perfectly happy with Rick Perry as President because then all their angst and resentment wouldn’t have to come from a place of cognitive dissonance. And, frankly, I think they’d be happier because Perry is white.

• 42 Sue in Minnesota
          September 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Makes sense if you are addicted to chronic whining. What do they call that…’the terrible two’s?” Immature and counterproductive.

14. 43 chiara
    September 5, 2011 at 12:59 am

Thank Chips, very well said!!

15. September 5, 2011 at 1:09 am

I think you should post zizi’s comment too.

16. September 5, 2011 at 1:25 am

Thank you so much Chips. You are right on time. Fair winds and following seas to you.

17. 46 Cos
    September 5, 2011 at 1:28 am

Thanks for all you do Chips and the many interesting threads.

18. 47 Betsy
    September 5, 2011 at 1:41 am

Although I missed the discussion Friday also, I totally agree with you Chipsticks. We need to stick together and not get personal. Obama/Biden 2012!!!!

19. 48 cuphalffull
    September 5, 2011 at 1:44 am

I have been thinking this week of the words and the song “we shall overcome”. I was also thinking specifically thinking about the “we” part. Doesn’t the word “solidarity” have a certain ring to it?

• 49 bonkers
      September 5, 2011 at 3:02 am

Yes, it does. I love to ask Repubaggers: What are the first three words of the U.S. Constitution?

Oh yea, “We the People…” not “I, the Person…”

Pretty much shuts ‘em up and then we can get to a production discussion.

20. 50 Doris
    September 5, 2011 at 1:51 am

Thanks Chips, you are one in a million and TOD family, you too!!!

21. 51 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    September 5, 2011 at 2:04 am

Thank you Chipsticks.

22. September 5, 2011 at 2:18 am

I’m coming to the party late (had a stressful week) and missed all of the fuss Friday night–thank goodness. :) But I’m definitely in agreement with what Chips and the rest of ya’ll are saying. We’ve got to hang in there together and respect each other if we expect to help President Obama win the presidency again.

Sometimes things can get rough and doubt can set in. I certainly had my very own fleeing moment of doubt last week (although I didn’t express my feelings on TOD). But as someone said earlier, strong family members who love each other often disagree, but they always come together when they need to. I think we are a family here on TOD, and I think we have to be strong for POTUS. I believe he needs us to be his “extended” family now more than ever. I also think FLOTUS needs us too. I’m not sure why, but I just feel that the two of them need to hear our voices — echoing strongly and loudly, supporting them and praying for them. We’ve got to show solidarity now and through 2012 and beyond! We’ve got to remain “Fired Up and Ready to Go”!!! :) :) :)

23. 53 Debz
    September 5, 2011 at 2:31 am

Thank you Chipsticks.

24. 54 anniebella
    September 5, 2011 at 2:47 am

I love this site because when I’m here I know I won’t get any of that hateful mess that you see on the other places. There will be times when we will disagree, but the one thing we don’t disagree on is we believe in this President and we want to see him re-elected in 2012. Peace and love to everyone, and know that we have a battle ahead of us, but a battle we feel is worth it and we are ready to fight. God Bless.

25. 55 Tracy
    September 5, 2011 at 2:52 am

Remember the theme of OFA: Respect, Empower, Include. Yes we can, again, together!

26. 56 Brian
    September 5, 2011 at 5:57 am

You’re the best, Chips, and so is this place.

I come here for the news I might not see somewhere else, the humor, the passion, and the sense of camaraderie (and even FAMILY) that our united love for our President has created and that you have given a voice to.

Thanks.

27. 57 collegekay
    September 5, 2011 at 6:40 am

Thanks Chips.

28. September 5, 2011 at 6:57 am

Thanks, Chips. Second and third what many have said…….especially liked the way Brian expressed it.

O/T: Finished reading The Help Saturday. Going to see the movie today with hubby.

Also, thanks to whomever suggested watching Randall Kennedy on C-Span. Enjoyed it!

Happy and blessed Labor Day to all.

29. 60 Ceb
    September 5, 2011 at 7:11 am

Thanks for the reminder and for this place. I had stopped commenting, until this weekend, and recommending people to come here mostly because of the rising nastiness (there are a few other usual topics that I think posters spend too much time on to the detriment of their mental health, but I scroll through those). This great place was beginning to sound and look like those others that I stay away from. This weekend, TOD sounded and looked more like the refuge that most of us need it to be: great information that could not be found in the national media, wonderful pics, humor, kindness, encouragement, and great ideas from the comments. We rock! My thanks and gratitude to you Chips for giving us this great gift and for reminding all of what this place is to be. Upward and onward ! Obama/Biden 2012.

30. 61 nintendowii10
    September 5, 2011 at 7:21 am

I also want to apologize for stoking the flames, we were all frustrated.

BUT, I want to point this out, that we all have to have our President’s back, NO MATTER WHAT.

We have Teapugs who are 100% determined to make him a one termer, so that they can take the country back and continue to wreak havoc to those who don’t deserve it.

We have the firebaggers who are actually a wing of the Republican Party, who also want our President to be a one termer.

And we have the MSM that aids and abets both of them in taking our POTUS down.

We have to fight against the teapugs, the firebaggers, and the MSM, and let them know that we are NOT backing down. President Barack Hussein Obama is the man, and we Obamabots need to stand up for him 100%!!!

To semiquote Samuel Jackson from Snakes on a Plane, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! I’VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING LIARS IN MOTHERFUCKING DC!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

31. 63 57andFemale
    September 5, 2011 at 8:20 am

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Chipsticks, who with her usual thoughtfulness and insight, struck for me at least, the exact right tone and message.

Like Chipsticks and I daresay so many others, I left a number of sites because I was attacked for saying anything positive about the President. I, too, have some concerns about some of actions of the administration — that doesn’t make me a traitor (which I have been called), it makes me passionate about this wonderful Presiden’ts chances for reelection, without which I shudder to think what this country will become. But I started to self-censor after some famous blow-ups at other sites and wondered if there was a community that hadn’t become completely niche-oriented.

Thank you for much for everything you do and to all of the Obama supporters who want what is best for this country.

32. September 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

What happened? LOL I must have scrolled right over it.

33. September 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

Good morning, TODville. Today’s Labor Day event will be livestreamed.

1:15 pm EST

and

• 67 utaustinliberal
      September 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

Thanks for this meta. I can at least rely on c-span to cover President Obama’s events in one form or another; unlike the rest of the MSM who’ve been harping on and on about this labor day event and probably won’t show it, or even if they did, they’d be giving their not needed analysis during the speech or they’d break away 10 minutes into the speech and begin fawning over Sarah Palin in Iowa(?) I believe that’s where she was this weekend. Yes? No? Or was is it South Carolina? At this point they almost seem interchangeable.

• 68 Sue in Minnesota
        September 5, 2011 at 11:04 am

Good topic for Twitter, the lack of MSM coverage of a union event. They can’t be bothered with the ‘little people’? Contrast the excessive and unwaranteed coverage of ‘Her Uglinesses’ event…..a woman that couldn’t get elected if she tried. Demonstrates clearly the lack of MSM credibility, also is a pipeline for hate into the American conscience. F’em.

• 69 prettyfoot58
      September 5, 2011 at 11:08 am

thanks Meta…

34. September 5, 2011 at 9:06 am

Happy Labor Day, TODers. Thank you Chips for your comments – as I’ve mentioned many times, this site has the best photos, news and comments in support of the President. And the links you all provide are fantastic – I’m able to be so much more knowledgeable about politics because of them. LOL Chips, I’ve been guilty of posting with my real name because I couldn’t figure out how to post with the info I originally signed up with. Have figured it out now though! Brian said exactly what I feel also – thank you so much Chips for providing a forum where we can show our respect and support for PBO.

35. 71 Ann_T
    September 5, 2011 at 9:12 am

I have missed so much lately. Sometimes I only have time to pop in and look at pictures or a quick video. :(

Chipsticks has given us a safe place to follow and talk about our wonderful president. I’m so thankful to have a site to talk to intelligent and respectful folks. Obviously, I missed Friday. But as PBO and Chipsticks often say, we can disagree without being disagreeable. It’s a mantra we must keep in mind. Sometimes it may mean stepping away from the computer or taking a deep breath. ;)

Love to all TOD family members. :)

36. 72 carolyn
    September 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

I just read zizi’s comment on the Weekly Address thread That is a clear analysis and articulation of what happened to the liberal side after Viet Nam. It is the best I’ve read. She is right about not building institutions to carry on the work. I have said all along that when President Obama was elected, the Democrats sat on their hands and said “Whew. We got him, now we can rest.” Exactly the opposite was true. If they had STUDIED his election plan, they would have seen what they should have done 3 years ago: BUILD on the ground organizations to counteract the nuttiness of the right. So, now it is up to all of us to help do this building. We MUST get Presiden Obama re-elected, but also we MUST elect more democrats to the House and Senate, or electing President Obama will bring to fruition Grover Norquist’s claim that
    A democrat may be elected, but he won’t be allowed to govern as a democrat.
    I hope this editorial goes viral. Millions of people need to read it…including all the so-called opinion makers.

• 73 gn
      September 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

I went and looked up that comment; you’re so right, it is stellar!!

zizi:
      I stayed away from all blogs and tweets yesterday after hearing about the jobs report early in the morning on radio. I guessed that some even here would reach their breaking point on optimism, and I’m sad to say I was right. The responses that some wanted PBO to lob back at his Repug detractors says a lot more about the depth of angst than it demonstrates a path toward workable solutions. But the angst is real and understandable, and desperately looking for an outlet.

WHAT THE ANGST MEANS

For a lot of people from the PL all the way to some of Pres. Obama’s avid supporters on this site, there’s a deeper anxiety underlying the jobs report, or the many hits the Pres. is taking from all sides. We are in an asymmetrical ideological and political war whose cover has been blown wide open for all to see under this Presidency. Many are being forced to starkly realize that our side has a structural deficit when it comes to the TOOLS needed to bend the public toward liberal ideas by DEFAULT. There is no wide sweeping ideological machinery comprising liberal media, multiple think tanks, stables of liberal opinion shapers repeating liberal mantra incessantly, and big liberal moneybags, that exist to pump liberalism into the nation’s bloodstream ad nauseum. The presidency should be the last place to look for the cavalry we need for this ideological battle. That we want to RELY on President Obama to FIGHT the Repugs on OUR behalf is the precisely the symptom of our structural deficit.

We want President Obama to make up for decades of liberals having gone AWOL on institution building when they left the Vietnam war protests and the streets to the corporate treadmill and ivory towers, Liberals lost the street instincts and FOCUS ON THE LONG GAME that propelled us through the Civil Rights, Women’s Rights, anti-war protests, of the 1960s and 1970s. Not only that liberals also forgot to TRAIN a new crop of strategic thinking activists who knew what worked and what didn’t in our past battles, and are savvy enough to adapt to new challenges of our time. What we are left with especially this entire crop of celebrity Professional Left is that their knowledge of the struggle if from books where the obstacles are described in a shortened time-frame, or glossed over, in order to amplify the eventual WIN. For example many forget that the Civil Rights movement took over two centuries to get to the work of the SNCC & Martin Luther King Jr.. We forget that at the time these activists were in the throes of their struggle they did not have the benefit of hindsight that we do now to determine whether their actions were going to be successful. Today the American Left lacks PERSPECTIVE and HISTORICAL PACING.

PBO TOO SUCCESSFUL?

Ironically, candidate Obama called himself a Rorschach Test in the run for the presidency. People projected onto him all their dreams and policy expectations. That projection was further reinforced through the way the campaign itself was run in such a stellar and novel way. The media, who were in it for sensation and ratings ALLOWED us to see candidate Obama with minimal distortion. Such that even when the big crises hit with Jeremiah Wright, Rezko, Bittergate, and Wall street meltdown, the media gave us room to observe what this candidate could do in a crisis. We liked what we saw. For some their dreams were enlarged even further. And for the left in general, many thought that the Obama candidacy and later presidency would ABSOLVE them of the constituency building and ideological homework that they had abandoned decades before. To them candidate and then President Obama was gonna be the SHORTCUT to liberal nirvana once more.

What we forget is there were two parts to this story. The candidate always did what he had CONTROL over, but the media and the corporate powers that be had not yet decided to close our access to him and DESTROY him. It means that INSTITUTIONAL/STRUCTURAL support is absolutely crucial to the success of ANY President. It is the reason that Repugs don’t care about the caliber of people they choose for political office, because once they get into office it is their INSTITUTIONS that run the show. They never fail to provide STRUCTURAL BACKING to their politcos. Even when the politicos get disgraced, they simply turn them out to pasture on their wingnut welfare circuits and media conglomerates. Their outcomes are evil, but a system, they have.

UNHEALTHY FOCUS ON PBO

The PL and even some disillusioned supporters probably know deep in their hearts that their beef REALLY is NOT with President Obama, but rather the MIRROR that his presidency has held up to us, and we don’t like what we see one bit, so we take it out on him. It is called TRANSFERENCE, which is the act of scapegoating an ally in lieu of going on offense on the one who actually harms us because one feels paralyzed or inadequate to taking on the real enemy.

But we have the opportunity to shift back into the real fight that matters, getting our re-election game face on. Our survival depends on it. As a matter of fact President Obama should be the least of our worries. We have to do the grunt work of rebuilding for the long term, long beyond PBO’s presidency. We have to make it impossible for wingnuts to erode our freedoms by NOT giving them any power no matter which election. But our attention should go beyond elections towards liberal INSTITUTION building. The wealthier ones among us should look to buy media outlets as aggressively as the other side did. Noise warfare is potent. We should not allow them to run us out of the PUBLIC SQUARE and scare us time and again into doubting our own core convictions. Why? They did not see defeat in 2008 as insurmountable, so why should we CONCEDE any ground to them?

Fight On! We have our work cut out for us!!! La Luta, Continua!!!

*********************

We’ve got to be the change which we seek, there are no shortcuts around it. Off to donate to OFA, a demonstrable grassroots success during a time at which we’ve got precious few of those on the left. We’ve got to build up, not tear down.

• 74 a4alice
        September 5, 2011 at 10:20 am

Thanks for reposting this I need to read this every now and again. Send this out to friends.

• 75 prettyfoot58
        September 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

We have to make it impossible for wingnuts to erode our freedoms by NOT giving them any power no matter which election. But our attention should go beyond elections towards liberal INSTITUTION building……

indeed….

The Struggle continues….

• 76 Obama Grandmama
        September 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm

The GOP has certainly built a powerful coalition to which the Dems have no comparison today. I agree with all you have posted yet know our strength is in our vote. Once the vote is there we need the party organized to back up the President which is not currently happening because of the GOP control of the HOUSE and the obstructive ways of the GOP legislators. To me it is a wonder that so many people will even go along with the GOP/corporative message since it is not in their best interest. Media access to liberal ideology is important but less extreme views could help too. My fears in this coming election is for the integrity of the vote as it has been systematically eroded by the GOP since even before the last election but in particular in defunding ACORN and having Tparty Govs enacting all kinds of new voter ID laws, etc in their states. That truly scares me and I do not know what I can do about it.

• 77 prettyfoot58
      September 5, 2011 at 11:11 am

hey carolyn….

where can i find this

September 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

I’m in for the long haul. Thanks Chips!!!

38. September 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

I just have to say that this site helps preserve my sanity in a sea of “Obama bashing” media. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    BTW: I also think that civil discourse is the most important thing because these are really crazy times we all are living in. Let’s support this President with all we have because the alternative is truly unthinkable.
    Love, peace, and light…

39. 80 aamom
    September 5, 2011 at 10:31 am

I am so happy here. I will do anything to stay. Love you all and WATCH MY PREZ IN THE MOTORCITY…today. Sorry, I get emotional when it comes to Detroit :>)

40. September 5, 2011 at 10:31 am

Chips, your heart is so big.

41. 82 Pamela
    September 5, 2011 at 10:31 am

Thank you, Chipsticks, and everyone. I missed out on most of what was being said on Friday, but I know, I understand, and I agree. There must be places where we can come to breathe, to offer the kind of support to each other that we strive to offer to PBO. We need each other, and HE needs us! The original OFA blog became a cesspool of trolling viperous hatred. I had to leave. But another Obot with the skills started up a new blog, and many of us went over, are still there, and are thankful for the dimension of peace, enjoyment and dedication to Barack Obama.

• 83 Tracy
      September 5, 2011 at 11:30 am

What is the sanitized Obot blog? And why doesn’t OFA moderate? Chips shows that it can be done. I also left the blog after the last election due to all the trolls.

42. September 5, 2011 at 11:25 am

Good Morning, Chipsticks! I notice you’ve been ignoring me ;) re bumping Zizi’s commentary, but I forgive you because I see that you’ve had so much to do! ;)

Thank you for being YOU, and heartfelt thanks for this village you nurture so effectively! IMO many of us would be so lost without TODville! On behalf of my siblings and myself, I apologise for the times we cause you extra angst, adding to the hard work you’re already doing. We don’t really mean to, we just sometimes react without thinking, and sometimes once started we spiral out of control. Going forward, (since Friday) I already see the family making smarter reactive, and proactive, choices so I anticipate us growing mentally stronger and stronger and certainly more open when one of our own needs an outstretched hand. In the words of the Luther Vandross song, ‘Ain’t no stopping us now. We’re on the move’. Maybe someone with techno no-how can do an Obama supporters video to this song as the words are very appropriate heading into 2012? Could be one of our ‘theme’ songs, maybe?

43. September 5, 2011 at 11:35 am

Thanks, Chips for moderating this blog. I know it’s an ugly job and you are a saint for doing it.

44. September 5, 2011 at 11:37 am

I rarely post here though I lurk here often.

Remember to keep the eyes on the ball, folks. Talking about pl/msm induced shiny objects is not a discussion, it’s a distraction. 2012 must be a must-win for dems across the board, however tough it may seem at the moment. So keep your focus, folks – 2012 dems all the way.

45. 87 ObamaLuvr
    September 5, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I rarely post but I visit this site religiously every single day because it just makes me feel good. Glad I missed the nonsense on Friday.

46. 88 carolyn
    September 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm

prettyfoot…gn reposted it on this thread. Absolutely right on point.

47. 89 FactPlus
    September 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I didn’t even read the article and thread referred to but I don’t think it is a good strategy to scold everyone when something like this happens. Either we know who caused the flare-up or we don’t. If we don’t then we have a problem of moderation. One person can’t moderate a debate involving a lot of bloggers. This pragmatic blog should learn from TPV and democratize the moderation and contributions to the blog otherwise we end up with this kind of situation where the blog owner doesn’t like people not going along with her own feelings of frustrations and protecting people who want to encourage this frustration instead of talking her out of it. Sorry but we are not all badly behaved children. A debate is a debate and if someone says anything not allowed to anybody the moderator has the power to simply block it from being published. But to allow stealth republican talking points and despair-mongering commentators and then get upset when others push back against them is not fair. I never try to butter the owner of the blog up by starting my comments with “Oh Chips how wonderful art though” etc etc or try to treat the President as if he is insecure by starting every comment with ” Oh how awesome is this our Man etc etc”. I am an intellectual debater and I can tell a trollish comment when I see one and am not about to be told by the moderator that I should be nice to someone just because she has determined they are a nice person and sees no evil and hears no evil. I however never use bad language or insults to the characters of other commenters but still push back hard enough for people to sometimes get upset. So if people want to debate they better be prepared to take some disagreement. The only reason people resort to character attacks is because they can dish it but can’t take it and often stealth Obama-bashers are most like that. Sorry I don’t mean to be mean but the article scolds all of us and this is no way of treating people unless you actually do believe they are sheeple.

• September 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Hi FactPlus,

I trust you are enjoying your Labour Day! Welcome to the TOD family! We are a family here and because we are, we recognize when Momma Chips is reminding us of the rules as opposed to scolding. Reading through the responses would show that. You have used some ‘strong’ language in your comments, but being a peaceful soul who hates confrontation, I’ll just say you are entitled to your opinion. As you are no doubt aware, family dynamics vary, and after reading through your comment on a double-take, I need to say that ALL members of THIS family – nuclear and extended- are authentic in their appreciation of the work Chips does. When you genuinely appreciate a member of your family I assure there’s no need to ‘butter’ him/her up. Finally, since we all found our way here in support of the greatest president alive, my hope is that we will work TOGETHER towards ensuring him a second term, while going easy on the criticisms of things we may not fully understand. Happy Labour Day!

• September 5, 2011 at 8:30 pm

That was well put, vcprezofan~

And, I do appreciate this site being free of whiny rw-ww talking points. I’m grateful for all the pragprog boards that don’t really tolerate it because, actually, there are so many places for them to reguritate.

• 92 FactPlus
        September 6, 2011 at 7:53 am

Yes of course to some of us posting on a blog like this is like being in a family. I don’t see it that way. The blog fulfils an important need for me but I would not characterize it as a family especially since practically everyone is anonymous, We don’t really know who everyone is, we just enjoy their thoughts or not. I don’t apologize for finding this blog and joining it. I did so voluntarily and would regretfully leave if I felt unwelcome. When I obey the rules I don’t like being treated as if I have broken them because I politely disagreed. I didn’t use any strong language at all in my comment unless you are suggesting that Ms Chips can’t take vigorous but respectful disagreement. She is asking us not to be sheeple and accept debate and differences of opinion without getting vile and I simply took her up on that and I stand by my criticism of her that she should have not painted us all with a brush. Unless I know her feelings were hurt I find your defence of her somewhat condescending to her since you didn’t actually refute anything specific that I said that you find wrong.

I support the President unapologetically and support and respect those who do also. But I will just also say that you are also entitled to your opinion and I respect it.

• September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Sorry Factplus, I didn’t see your comments in this thread until now.

Unfortunately, you completely misinterpreted my post.

I’m not demanding that we have a love-in here, nor am I telling people they can’t argue with anyone with whom they disagree, I’m simply asking that they don’t abuse them – there’s a not-so-subtle difference there.

If you “didn’t even read the article and thread referred to” I’m really not sure how you can comment on what went on, perhaps if you had you’d understand that I wasn’t “scolding everyone”.

As “an intellectual debater” I’m sure you’d accept that it’s preferable to debate the point rather than abuse the person who makes it?

Thanks.

48. September 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm

It’s refreshing to hear a positive, clear, and firm stance in regard to President Obama. I think we all silently question his actions at times as this is important in our decision making. Alot of pressure is on him and us, for at least in my opinion so much is riding on him. He has had to be less vocal than I think he’d like in an effort to avoid the spin machine who waits to twist and distort his every action and statement. He is a man of integrity whose ability to answer questions immediately is due to his ability to be honest. I am troubled by his opposition and nature of their behavior, although it is because of this that I believe that ultimately he is not one of them. -litterof6

49. 95 FIREFLY
    September 6, 2011 at 8:41 am

WELL SAID!! Glad I missed all that….