Sep

he’s likeable enough

Politico/GWU poll

The polls weren’t pretty today, although as Steve Benen points out (here) a big majority favor the President and Democrats’ economic/jobs agenda over the GOP’s – and that could prove pretty significant in the coming months:

Politico’s poll asked a question about “a large scale federally subsidized nationwide construction program putting Americans back to work building roads, bridges, schools, and hospitals.” A 51% majority favored the idea, while only 21% opposed it.

When President Obama presents his jobs agenda on Thursday, it’s likely those who tune in will approve of his ideas…. for all of the president’s troubles in the polls, most of the public is still on board with what Democrats are proposing, and have no use for what the GOP is selling.

He also leads Perry 47-42% and Romney 46-45% in the NBC/WSJ poll.

What’s striking, too, is that despite all the efforts to demonize him, 74% still approve – strongly or somewhat – of the President “as a person”. Presumably the 14% who strongly disapprove are made up of Tea and Firebaggers? Must try harder at that demonizing ;-)

21 Responses to “he’s likeable enough”

1. September 6, 2011 at 11:33 am

I will always work my heart out for this man. ALWAYS. If I could work in his Presidential Library, I would. ALWAYS.

2. 8 Sue in Minnesota
    September 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

So who’s poll numbers are higher? Boehner? Cantor? McConnell? Palin? If he is the top of the cesspool, he is still the top.

We have to work hard at illuminating the reason Congress isn’t working, and that is not the President, and it is not the will of the people. Need to repair that broken down jalopy, it needs a new engine. President Obama needs reliable transportation to get America to a new destination. And Nancy Pelosi needs the keys to the car.

Yes. We. Can.

3. 9 PoliticalJunkessa
    September 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I like him. Strongly.

4. 11 Sheila R.
    September 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I like and respect President Obama very strongly.

5. 12 HZ
    September 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I believe in him, trust him, very much like him, and totally respect him, and I believe that he will be re-elected in 2012.HZ

6. 14 QuietObserver
    September 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Considering that the majority of “criticisms” of PBO have been based on half-truths (if not outright lies) and most often, personal/character attacks, it’s notable that 75% of Americans actually like him as a person.

7. 17 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
    September 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Folks I am still trying to fathom 42 to 45% of the voting public still considering voting for these Fascist Wingnuts like Romney and Perry. It is unbeleivable. There is enough information out there to let the voting public know what these insane candidates stand for. Does this many Americans want there SS, Medicare, and Medicade, collective bargaining, and all civil rights laws eliminated? Cause that is exactly what we will get if Romney, Perry, or Bachmann (who seems to be fading fast) is put in the Whitehouse and definately there will be a TeaParty Congres in place. We GOT work to do folks. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! YES WE CAN and YES WE WILL!! Obama/Biden 2012!!

8. 18 virginia
    September 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I disagree with the talking point that the President is in such big trouble. I think he’s right where most candidates are at this point before an election year. Check out this website and see where the President was against McCain in most polls at this point. He was being beaten by McGain just a month and a half from the election. Check it out:

9. 19 Jennifer
    September 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

virginia, extremely interesting. Although I must admit I’m beyond tired of polls where these things are extrapolated from maybe 1500 people. How many people here have ever been contacted by any of these organizations? I sure haven’t nor have any of my friends or family.
    Side note: I will NEVER forgive McCain (or his “people”) for unleashing SP upon us. It was so obvious a Hail Mary pass – you could tell HE didn’t even like her. WHY does the TP get so much press? Rachel showed that they were such a minority of the actual nation. Ha, yeah, from some poll. ;)

September 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Love how we never get called for these polls that say PBO is politically finished in 2012. :roll: Utter nonsense.

As for the likeability poll: I like PBO STRONGLY. I adore him STRONGLY. I respect him STRONGLY. I admire him STRONGLY. I will work STRONGLY to make sure he is re-elected in 2012.

• 21 Sue in Minnesota
      September 6, 2011 at 10:00 pm

UT if they polled Toddersville, he would be the first President to ever have 110% job approval rating. :D