Sep

hail to the chefs

AP: Encouraged by Michelle Obama’s campaign to reduce childhood obesity, the company that owns the Olive Garden, Red Lobster and four other popular restaurant chains is pledging to cut the calories and sodium in its meals and overhaul its kids’ fare. Darden Restaurants was unveiling the changes Thursday, with the first lady on hand to lend support.

The company will pledge to reduce the calories and sodium in all its meals by 10 percent over five years, and by 20 percent over 10 years… All kids’ meals will automatically come with a side of fruit or vegetables….

… Darden’s restaurants serve more than 400 million meals annually at more than 1,900 locations nationwide. Its four other restaurant chains are LongHorn Steakhouse, The Capital Grille, Bahama Breeze and Seasons 52.

Darden’s promise is part of a trend by the restaurant industry to serve healthier food ….. White House domestic policy adviser Melody Barnes said Darden’s announcement amounts to a “full-throated endorsement” of the types of changes Mrs. Obama has asked the nation’s restaurant owners and operators to make.

In a National Restaurant Association survey of chefs, two-thirds of those working in the kitchens of family dining, fine dining and fast-food restaurants said their customers were ordering healthier items and paying more attention to nutritional content than they did two years ago.

…. Mrs. Obama participation in Thursday’s announcement, scheduled for an Olive Garden restaurant in the Washington suburb of Hyattsville, Md., will be her latest appearance with retailers and others in support of her anti-obesity efforts.

Full article here

First Lady Michelle Obama announces a new partnership between Darden Restaurants and her Lets Move! Campaign at an Olive Garden Restaurant in Hayattsville, Maryland on September 15

32 Responses to “hail to the chefs”

1. September 15, 2011 at 11:23 am

Speaking of doing things well…brace yourselves…FOX (not the News but the parent company) actually took going green seriously for the Prime Time Emmy Awards. What they’ve done is blueprint for putting on a large event with a small footprint: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/09/14/fox-goes-green-for-red-carpet-arrivals-of-the-63rd-primetime-emmy-awards-108211/20110914fox02/

September 15, 2011 at 11:29 am

It’s just great what the First Lady is accomplishing, quietly and with such good results, around the country. People (and corporations who are people, in this case only) just rally around her sincerity. Love it.

3. 8 Fred
    September 15, 2011 at 11:31 am

thank you to the restaurants that have agreed to make food healthier not just for children but for us adults as well and THANK YOU Mrs Obama for just being B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T :D

4. September 15, 2011 at 11:40 am

Wonder if these chefs need practice with their cooking skills. I’m happy to have them come and cook for me.

5. September 15, 2011 at 11:42 am

Good Morning TOD family

Sorry to always be arriving late, we Californians are snoozing out here.

Before I list the daily call to action, I want to say how encouraged I am by all the folks who are posting calls they made, encouraging articles they find, and suggestions to work with OFA.

Also, some folks are saying that when they make a call to their representative the lines aren’t busy. Don’t be discouraged by that at all. Everyone called Friday, a whole bunch of folks Monday, we are now 1 week from the speech and the calls have probably dropped to a trickle. That does not mean there is not support for the bill it is just human nature. When we call today it is like 10 people are calling. It is much more significant to call one week later – it has more impact.

Regarding the Dems who are criticizing the plan – here is that phrase we chant to ourselves each day.

I cannot control what the Democrats in congress do – I CAN ONLY CONTROL MY REACTION

These Democrats will not weaken my resolve, cause me to freak out, or make my blood pressure rise, instead I will intensify my determination to support the President’s Jobs Bill.

CALL TO ACTION
    So last night before I went to bed I made a list of the Dems who are grumbling.
    Senator Bob Casey- Pennsylvania
    Senator Mary L. Landrieu – Louisiana
    Representative Peter A. DeFazio – Oregon
    Senator Joe Manchin — West Virginia
    Senator Kay Hagan – North Carolina
    Representative Heath Shuler- North Carolina

Feel free to add names if I have missed some of them.

Let’s call them, let’s tweet about them, let’s visit their facebook page and make negative comments. Let’s send them email that is critical of their stance.

I also made sure that there is a web page promoting the benefits of the bill for each of the states listed above.

then I went through and made state pages for states starting with the largest population and working my way down. there are now 10 new states that have web pages showing the benefits of the bill. Please distribute to any sources that would benefit.

If your state is not listed, put in a request below, thanks to the brilliance of Michele, I now have local media for all 50 states so that is one less thing to do.

I am off to call Diane Feinstein who hasn’t decided what her position is, she needs to get with the program.

Hang tough folks – with the President leading the way, we will prevail.

September 15, 2011 at 11:59 am

Thanks so much for that list, WiW ! I’ll be sending each “an encouraging word” via Twitter today, including Sen. Feinstein.

(And I love your comment, *It is much more significant to call one week later – it has more impact* !! Can’t wait to see how you motivate us two weeks out, three weeks out, etc. !!!!) :)

• 15 Frenchie08
      September 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you WIW! I am going to a neighborhood meeting tonight in Missouri and I am taking this with me! This could not have come at a better time. Thanks you so much!

6. September 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Oh lord, I just caught the tip of the picture with the hat and all the white and thought it was the Klan… off to actually read about the ‘chefs’ now. Yikes.

• 17 Fred
      September 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

my mom is a chef and worked at the United Center’s kitchen and she;for as long as I can remember;has told me that the culinary industry is one of the most sexist and racist joint you can be in

7. 18 fancie
    September 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I have been lurking and I feel I know you all even though you have no way of knowing me. So I wish HZ and Fred well in their health concerns. I’m glad that Marabout40 aka Hachiko made a safe trip back east; thanks for potty-Tally’s great , encouraging posts; wonderful action contributions from WIW–and all the rest. Glad to know you, and I hope to do more that lurk if I’ve something to share. I’m being disingenuous with that last bit, of course, because most who know me wish i wouldn’t share so much;-)

Anyway, here’s one I cadged from Booman http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2011/9/13/164631/173
    on Repentant Republicans http://mariopiperni.com/comments-2/a-republican-no-longer.php

Can’t wait for the Repentant Democrats.

Okay, “Enter”!

• 19 Anonymous
      September 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Gee, the whole front of my post dropped off! I was kinda sneaking-up on everyone and being self-introductory in a diplomatic sort of way, I thought. Now I sound kinda pushy. Sorry!

• September 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hiya AL, so sorry about that! I thought the top part of your comment was just a private message to me so I edited it for you and put in the name you wanted, Fancie – sorry for the confusion, my fault!

What’s happening when you try to sign in? Does it not allow you put in the name you want?

• 21 Sue in Minnesota
      September 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Welcome fancie….please join the chorus, we need more voices.

• 22 utaustinliberal
      September 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Welcome to the fold officially Fancie. Hope we “see” and “hear” more from you. :)

Great news that Mrs. Obama’s healthy nutrition initiative is coming along in leaps and bounds and providing spectacular results. People are taking notice in their everyday lives. Many might not scream from the rooftops, but they are eating healthier, exercising, watching calories and overall trying to live a more health conscious life.

• 23 Frenchie08
      September 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Excellent francie!!! I have been a lurker to for a looooooong time. Finally got the nerve to enter into the discussion. Everyone welcomed me with open arms. I am so glad you feel the way I do about feeling like you know everyone. All the names you named drew me in also, but especially Chips. I looooooove the way she handles this site with loving compassion, ginuine unabashed appreciation for the President, happy humor, and gentle but stern correction when needed. Please continue to comment and share. We need ALL hands on board for our wonderful President!

• 25 Fred
      September 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

thank you Fancie for your well wishes and welcome to our TOD family.Hope all is well with you

• 26 57andFemale
      September 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm

The more the merrier! Welcome.

• 27 L3
      September 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Welcome Fancie!

8. 28 P
    September 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Awww so cute!!! Great job Mrs Obama!! We love you!!

9. September 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hi P, I edited that for you, the link was to a fake story ;-)

• 30 P
      September 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I know it’s hilarious what these people come up with for ratings :lol: :lol: and stupid people believe it :lol: :lol:. People are tweeting this and I am thinking to myself when did Jay Carney announce this? And why would he announce this? :lol:

10. 31 P
    September 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Oh that was me P I didn’t signed in at first and didnt realise you still posted it!.Sorry about the double post!

11. 32 57andFemale
    September 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm

We ate at the Olive Garden a few weeks ago and I commented to my husband that the salt content seemed less.

It was great that healthier alternatives on the menu were highlighted, making it much easier to make a healthier choice.

But….but……SOCIALIZED FOOD! But….but…..YOU”RE TAKING AWAY OUR FREEDOM TO EAT LIKE SHIT.

Deranged. All of them.