Sep

the reality of ‘obamacare’ (please send your best to ross in the comments)

President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and senior staff, react in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, as the House passes the health care reform bill, March 21, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Des Moines Register: After more than five weeks on a ventilator, Amy Ward is finally being weaned off it to breathe on her own. She no longer requires dialysis. But a near-fatal infection resulting from a freak accident has left her with a long road of rehab ahead.

In the time he’s spent at his wife’s bedside in a hospital critical care unit, her husband has been able to do a lot of thinking. Ross Daniels, on unpaid family medical leave from his IT job to tend to his wife, has had to face the real possibility that he would lose her, though she’s just 39….

… Daniels has also thought about what would have happened if portions of the new federal health care law had not been in place. His wife’s insurance had a million dollar lifetime cap on benefits. Her current expenses have already exceeded that. One medication – a potent antifungal agent – costs $1,600 a dose. Without the protection against lifetime limits the new law provides, they would have had to declare bankruptcy.

That law, derisively dubbed “Obamacare” by the president’s opponents, has been portrayed as the essence of evil among Republican presidential candidates. At a tea party-sponsored debate this week, front-runners Rick Perry and Mitt Romney vowed to sign executive orders exempting states from enforcing it. Michele Bachmann bragged of working for its repeal in Congress.

Those attitudes confound Daniels, who says, “It is hard for us to believe that so many of the GOP candidates would have us go back to a time where an illness like this would have forced us, or any other family for that matter, into bankruptcy.” He’s also grateful for the law’s protection against insurance companies denying coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Full article here

Thank you JER, this is a brilliant article – make sure you read it all everyone, and spread it far and wide ;-)

142 Responses to “the reality of ‘obamacare’ (please send your best to ross in the comments)”

1. September 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I got chills reading that article. Reinforces every fiber of my being that I have to fight for the re-election of PBO.

• September 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Isn’t it the most powerful article africa, just overwhelming. Many, many thanks again to JER for letting me know about it.

• September 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Absolutely. It elicits a great feeling to know that despite the naysayers and political capital spent, PBO belief in this policy is going to not only help millions of people, but save countless lives.

In my own family already, my husband who’s on disability, benefits from lower costs for his medication that we could barely afford. Personally, I am able to go to the community clinic and get care on a sliding fee due to my unemployment.

This article is touching on so many levels. Thanks JER for bringing it to our attention and thanks, Chips for publishing it.

• 4 Betsy
      September 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Not just re-electing President Obama, but electing a Democratic House and Senate that will support him, only then we can be sure we will have 4 years of real growth.

2. September 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Nice updates chip, as usual!
    Btw: the market has had a very good week, not one bad day!
    Interesting!
    Maybe it is just the summer?

3. September 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Tom dominion on cspan live-

4. 13 kefauver
    September 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Awesome read! And to think, the Jane Hamsher types were all mindlessly yelling “KILL THE BILL!!!!!” a year and a half ago because it wasn’t perfect. And there are still leftbaggers at places like DKOS that criticize the bill for not doing enough soon enough. I am going to bookmark this story and save if for those jerks who think the ACA is just “cash cow for private insurers.” What a load of bs.

5. 14 Fred
    September 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm

so happy Amy is recovering :D THANK YOU Mr President for the courage

6. 16 meabloom
    September 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm

This is really good. Rhodes was so right although I pray it doesn’t take hundreds of people to go through what this couple has for the next president (after 2016/Obama) to realize that this was best for the American people. I am so glad that she is recovering and may God bless them. Great job Mr. President!

Obama/Biden2012

7. 17 Sue
    September 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Thank for the wonderful article and best wishes to this family and families like it who struggle with medical bills. This could happen to anyone at anytime.

Thank you Mr. President for Obamacare because we all know Obama Cares! Proud of our President and all he stands for. A man of his word and a great example of what a leader is all about.

8. September 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful. And the rethugs are still trying to justify their sorry ass talking points.

September 16, 2011 at 7:06 pm

This is just a beautiful and heartfelt story. This is why anyone who says ACA wasn’t good enough or didn’t go far enough or is filled with death panel clauses is a moronic, deceitful liar. Millions and millions of people are being helped in multiple ways and to advocate for repeal of the bill is to become the head in chief of the death panel squad.

10. 20 Ross Daniels
    September 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm

As one of the subjects of the above article I want to thank you for your many kind thoughts. The last 7 weeks have been a living nightmare by themselves. I cannot imagine the additional burden of having to tell my wife when she woke up that all of our retirement planning and financial future was gone in order to save her life. Thank you again, Mr. President.

Warmest regards,
    Ross

• September 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Ross, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the trouble to comment here, thank you from the bottom of heart. Your story is utterly inspirational, I wish your wife the speediest of recoveries to good health, and you the strength to carry you through this ordeal. You are a good man, be proud of yourself – I’m sure your beloved wife is. Love to you both.

• 22 Fred
      September 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Ross welcome to the TOD family.
      Since you are here I want to personally tell you how happy I am for Amy and for you as well because I bet it was hell for you watching Amy fight for her life.I am so happy she is on her way back to health and I am happy for the 2 of you the ACA was available at the time it was;just in time to help Amy.
      I send Amy the best of wishes on behalf of my family and I
      saying a prayer for Amy and you as well
      hang in there Ross as the road to recovery is long.There are people rooting for you as well
      Fred ;)

• September 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Ross, I wish you and Amy all the best. I hope she recovers completely. Take care.

• 24 Anonymous
      September 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Mr Daniels, I am extremely glad to see that your precious wife Amy is making good progress with her health and that the healthcare bill is able to help ease your concerns in some way. I pray that she continues to recover and that you continue to be strong for her and your family because it is not easy being a care provider.

I am one of those people who benefited greatly from the clause in this ACA that deals with pre-exisiting conditions and I am very greatful to President Obama and others who made this possible.

I continue to fight against anyone who even thinks of repealing this act and I am proud to re-state that yes indeed “Obama Cares”

• 26 MTmarilyn
      September 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Ross, our prayers are with you and your wife. We are so thankful the bill had been passed and was there for you. Let’s hope other people realize this before they face a situation like yours. May Amy continue to improve.

• 27 kittypat
      September 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm

All the best to you and your wife Ross, we’re all pulling for you!

• 28 a4alice
      September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Oh my goodness. I am deeply moved. Thanks so much for posting this Chips and thankyou very much Mr. Daniels for commenting. All the best to you and your wife – here’s praying for a complete recovery. And this good thing is the direct result of this health care legislation from PBO. Man. Off to the Twitterverse!

• September 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm

ROSS!!!! Much love to you and Amy!!!
      ❤❤❤❤❤∞

• September 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Ross, all the best to you and your wife.

• 31 ChristiMtl
      September 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm

How inspiring and moving. I wish you and your wife Amy all the best and I hope she recovers completely. Thank you for posting a comment on TOD, you are among friends here,. You both are an inspiration.

September 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Mr. Ross your story is extremely moving and inspiring and we are grateful that you and your wife were willing to share your experiences with the ACA with the TOD community. Please pass on our sincerest wishes to your wife Amy for continued recovery, good health and peace of mind!

• September 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Ross,

I am so glad that Amy is on the mend! You are your wife are living proof that the ACA is doing what it was intended to do. No one should have to worry about their health or the health of their loved ones and/or about going bankrupt having to provide for their health care. You all are in my thoughts, and God bless you and yours.

• 34 carol in ky
      September 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm

As a lifelong nurse, I’m well aware of the struggles Amy has been going through…and your struggles also.
      I’m so thankful that she is recovering, and that your family won’t be saddled with the type of debt that would
      be devastating. Know that you’re among friends here, and that our wishes are for a complete recovery for
      Amy. Keep us posted if you can…you’re both in our thoughts and prayers.

• September 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm

None of us know when illness will strike and none of us should have to lose our entire financial well-being on top of all the other struggles. I’m just glad you knew there was help available and were able to use it! I’m glad this nightmare is one you can wake from to find life can move on. Blessings and don’t forget to take care of yourself, too.

• 36 JoJothecat
      September 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm

God bless you Mr. Daniels and may your precious wife continue to get well.

• 37 lmrj
      September 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Ross, God bless you and continue blessing your wife with full recovery. Thank God for ACA.

• 38 Betsy
      September 18, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Ross, I moved here from Canada 11 years ago, became a US citizen in 2009 (because PBO was elected president, so we felt it would be a safe decision), and we couldn’t be more aghast at the attitudes of the GOP about health care for all. Your story is why. It just wouldn’t have happened in Canada. I applaud you for your courage to speak out, and I thank you for sharing it. I wish you and your wife, and family all the best and for a full recovery for your wife. Thanks for posting here.

• 39 Betsy
        September 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I forgot to also say this is why the ACA was a great piece of initial legislation. I was SOOO happy it passed, and couldn’t believe the resistance of the American people to it. Why wouldn’t we want people like Amy to have good health care that did not bankrupt you and your family in order for her to get better? What is wrong with the value of life and general welfare that Americans are supposed to value? I think President Obama wants us to get back to those values as a nation and I love that about him. Again, good luck to Amy and I wish her a full recovery.

• September 18, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Ross. I want to add my most positive thoughts for Amy’s continued recovery.

• 42 Jennifer
      September 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm

My very best to you and your wife. May her recovery be a complete one Thank YOU for posting, we’re so glad to hear this story. It should be published nationwide. Take good care.

• 43 utaustinliberal
      September 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Hello Ross. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving some thoughts during this difficult time in your life. I am so immensely happy that the healthcare reform bill helped your wife Amy and saved you from going into bankruptcy. I hope the law goes on to help millions and millions of people in ways big and small. Please send your wife Amy my warmest regards and I wish her a speedy and safe recovery. I also wish you a measure of comfort, warmth, hope, perserverance, and continued courage as you stay by your wife’s bedside. Have a wonderful, blessed, happy and fulfilled life. :)

• 44 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      September 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Congratulations Ross and may God always be with you and your family. Your story is inspirational and uplifting. Please spread your story wide and far and we will do our part spreading it. PBO is such a compassionate person. Thank God for the internet. HALLELUJAH!! :grin:

• 45 sjterrid
      September 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Ross thank you for sharing your story how the ACA has been helping you in your time of need. I will keep you, your wife and family in my thoughts and prayers.

11. September 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I have this story scheduled to be on my blog later this week. It is so moving – I hope we hear more stories like these. My sense is that the country is liking health care more and more each month.

September 18, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I’m thinking the same thing. Even when Michelle Bachman parrots her usual “repeal Obamacare” drivel during the GOP debates, the enthusiasm just doesn’t seem to be there anymore. At the end of the day people want good health, money in their pockets(financial secruity), love and peace of mind. Rigid ideology comes a distant 6th or 7th in the hierarchy of priorities.

12. September 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Just received an email from Dick Durbin on a petition he want us to sign

Tell the GOP to stop playing politics (about relief for hurricane victims)

13. September 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

This bill is the first thing that republicans want to kill if they get the presidency!
    I mean, the way the GOP candidates are talking, America only has two problems the EPA and Obama care!
    Of course, they are talking to wall street, and not the people when they say this in debates! Fundraising?

14. September 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Speaking about ‘care’, here is an article that’s well worth sharing with your friends, family, contacts. This one is about SS.

15. 61 Linda
    September 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I don’t have a story…but I watched this yesterday and it was great.

“American Constituti­on Society Preview of 2011-2012 Supreme Court Term

If you get a chance…w­atch this…The­y discuss what they think will happen with the HealthCare Mandate…­.It is very interestin­g.

I have predicted that the Supreme Court will uphold the mandate and that Scalia will write the opinion in favor long ago.

They predicted pretty much the same. It will be 7-2 or 8-1 in favor of the mandate.

It is also clear why Miguel Estrada was rejected as a candidate for the Supreme Court.

Obama’s Former Acting U.S. Solicitor General Neal Katyal and Estrada went at it a few times when Estrada tried to say that the Administration is slow walking it and trying to stall this until after the election.

The also discuss the cases that the court will hear this session.

• September 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm

They have to uphold the mandate. If they don’t, it will open the door to repealing all the other BAZILLION things that citizens are required to purchase BY LAW, like homeowner’s insurance, fire/flood/auto/business insurance, WORKMAN’S COMP…..etc – and the insurance companies won’t stand for that.
      :D

16. September 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm

As the months go by, the health care bill will affect greater and greater numbers of people and reveal to Americans what a blessing this piece of legislation is. It also underscores another point: Do Not Underestimate this President. Throughout the whole health care debate, pundits predicted that the bill was dead, its provisions scary and that it would eventually destroy the president. But PBO held steady, defied all the naysayers and got the bill he wanted. In an earlier post, Steve Benen, whom I usually love, said that the president “learned” through the debt ceiling debate that you cannot be reasonable with Republicans. Steve, the president already knew those Republicans backwards and forwards and he was playing them from day one. He knew they were holding a bomb–the destruction of the economy–and he worked subtly, forcibly and masterfully to defuse the bomb and gain massive concessions, while all the while preserving SS and Medicare. It was brilliantly played, despite the dim-witted media and PL accusations of weakness. The debt ceiling negotiations were an example of a superb leader in action, governing with finesse and firmness.

What’s happening now is the president in quasi-campaign made, throwing mini bombs on the table, daring Republicans to act and backing them in the corner. This seems like more “powerful” (decisive, leader-like, etc) to some, because it’s got more swagger and macho appeal. Obama does this kind of thing with great aplomb, but it takes a master of extraordinary gifts to do what he achieved on the debt ceiling debate. Few may appreciate how he managed to “tackle the deficit” while putting all the pain in the so-called “out years” when the economy will be healthier and the impact less. The guy is a genius and the few of us who don’t need razzle dazzle in order to support him, know that we were witness to a master class in leadership.

• September 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Jackie, THIS x 2! (I had a similar reaction to Steve’s comment too (in this post and another one where I got the same vibe), but told myself he was just showing ‘objectivity’. Generally I love his posts too for their truth telling, analysis, AND brevity. ;)

I thought I’d read the Daniels’ story somewhere before, and was wondering if my mind was going when I checked the date on some of the earlier responses. Phew! Best wishes to both Amy and Ross as they fight their way back to good health, and thank God for the President’s focus and heart for those who need it most (versus for millionaires).

• September 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Beautifully written, Jackie. I thought about responding to Steve Benen about his comment that the President ‘learned’ from the debt ceiling debate. We know better. The President knew that he was dealing with a Party whose tactic was to spend like sailors while in office and then be deficit hawks out of power. He completely hi-jacked their strategy and showed the whole world what a sham it was. They are NOT serious about reducing the deficit and never were. He also knew they were going to try to get all kinds of concessions by holding the economy hostage. IIRC they only got an agreement to hold a vote on their stupid constitutional amendment, which won’t go anywhere because they need 2/3 vote. Steve is usually more savvy than that, so it makes me wonder if he was trying to convey some other concept and just missed the mark.

• 67 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      September 18, 2011 at 9:03 pm

What a great SUMNATION of President Obama Jackie. Your commentary was masterful. :wink:

• 68 Betsy
      September 18, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I really appreciate your post as it expresses my feelings so perfectly about what I believe about President Obama. Thanks.

17. 69 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I cannot understand WHY this many people (read rightwingers) are so upset about the prospect of ALL people getting access to health care

• September 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Because they’re selfish pricks who don’t play well with others, and never share their toys. We all knew their kind in elementary school. We were the ones who grew up.

The GOP/Baggers are living, breathing proof that evolution exists. They’re the BEFORE, and we’re the AFTER.
      :lol:

• 71 Doris
        September 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Knock it outta the park Tally!!!!!

• 72 JoJothecat
        September 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Yes, exactly Tally,

The GTeaOP and Libertarians who say “I’ve got mine too bad if you don’t have healthcare, just die already” and the “No insurance, no mandate, let those other people die, but not me, my family and friends…the government must help them or the government is no good”.

Oh, and the Christians who only believe “I am my brother’s keeper” was only during Jesuses, time not NOW.

• September 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Another reason they fear everyone having access to healthcare, is they believe they will then have to wait longer, since more people will be at the Dr. They will no longer have the VIP/Front-of-the-line access they falsely believe they have now.

They fail to see that preventative care will free up hospital beds, and keep people healthier. Just like in every other industrialized nation.

• 74 ChristiMtl
      September 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Because they’re heartless, cruel and greedy, They hate gvt , they want it out of the way in everything, no rules, no regulations. The law of the jungle. To each its own. The hell with the poor and the sick.

Don’t forget the firebaggers/emoprogs who wanted to kill the bill and are still bitching about the public option.

As a Canadian, even if we don’t have the same system, it’s universal health care but gvt run health care, I can tell you that there would be riots in the streets if any politicians would want to mess with it and change it.

And there’s private sector health care as well, if we want to pay, we can go to specialized clinics. We have a choice,.

I can’t even imagine being sick and worrying about insurance, going bankrupt, losing your house. It’s awful.

I hope these nutjobs will continue with their threat of executive order to repeal the ACA,. Not a chance,.

September 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Because the rightwing nuts don’t have any dam sense. Everyday I become more and more convinced of that.

18. September 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Every day that goes by, more people are affected IN A POSITIVE WAY, by the epic awesomeness of OBAMACARE.

RIGHT NOW – if you are on a non-grandfathered plan, ALL OF YOUR PREVENTATIVE CARE IS FREE. (If your provider tries to get a copay from you, or bill you in any way, tell them YOU KNOW THE LAW of the ACA and they need to pull their head out of their ass and CODE IT CORRECTLY.) That includes, annual physicals, colonoscopy, annual Well Woman exam, mammograms, etc….

Grandfathered plans: As of 2012, as soon as you hit your renewal date, you will be non-granfathered and the above will also apply to YOU.
    :D

September 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Ross,
    I read your story a few days ago, and I felt such a sense of happiness and relief for you and your wife. Truly, what happened to you, is EXACTLY what this ACA was designed to do for those with serious illness. I could not be more pleased for the both of you. I pray that you both get stronger and stronger everyday, and that you have some fight left in you to go out and spread the word, from a very personal perspective, about the importance of the ACA….and the President that never gave up the fight for you, and all of the rest of us that benefit from the goodness of it.
    Please hug your wife, and let her know that both of you have many new friends pulling for her.For the politicians that profess to love life, they certainly don’t seem to back that statement with action. Your story was inspiring and one I will keep in my mind, and my heart, as we fight for this incredible President to guide us for another 4 years.Thank you for your story.

September 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm

This isn’t class warfare, it’s all about being fair. That is what these right wingnuts can’t understand.

20. September 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

MoveOn has a page of NY video you may enjoy

The Biggest Thing Happening Right Now That Your Local News Probably Isn’t Telling You

• September 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm

DF, we keep choosing to share the same articles. I posted this up thread about an hour ago. With such a determined army as ours these GOPers won’t know what hit them November 2012. ;) :lol:

September 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Bless you,love:) We think alike! Knowledge is power…I firmly believe that, so…we all post as much as we can that we think will enlighten our TOD family….thanks for posting…double posts only “help” people like me that miss it the first time:) Many thanks!

• September 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Blessings your way, too! :lol: :lol: Here’s hoping the power of this movement will obliterate the GOP-ers come November 2012! IMO there’s a feeling in the air. From reading here and at a few other sites I feel like more and more eyes are being opened to the fact that the current batch of Republican ‘leaders’ really do not want America to bounce back. What I find encouraging is that more and more our side is joining hands, thereby extending our outreach (ex; TOD linking more closely with WiW, or DD4O corralling the army here, or Chips & Hachiko providing Twitter bombing info, or Bobfr’s updates). Easier access to information makes it easier to put the truth out, and as you say, a little overlap is just emphasis. ;) I want to think that by the time 2012 rolls around there will be more effective linking and PBO’s supporters together will be a formidable and unbeatable force. Chips has created a truly awesome gathering place here where we can plan, recharge, listen to the reports of front-line fighters then, encouraged, go out to join the fight!

September 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm

:) I see it now!

September 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm

This is the coolest thing ever!!! I love NERDS:) Smart people make me happy!

22. September 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm

60 minutes tonight about that kid who was awarded the medal of honor!

September 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm

OT and a bit of comic relief: Michael Moore, in an effort to not seem racist after his last comment about the President has now said that he would like Oprah for President – even though she’s not running and probably never will. Anyway, if Moore’s endorsement were to become a reality, who would be FMOTUS? Stedman? Dr. Phil? Dr. Oz?

• 97 zizi
      September 18, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Moore needs to shove that thought back into his ass where it descended from. What he is in effect telling us is that he wants a rich Mama or Daddy to govern this country. He wants Democratic counterparts to wealthy wingnuts, Romney, Kochs, et al. In short he wants the left’s equivalent of aristocratic rule. Ordinary rubes like us need not apply to political office.

And this is the guy that the PL claim to be a liberal? A liberal who cannot fathom the problems of the working poor? yeah right. I’ve had it with these media hogs. Truly eye-opening what PBO’s presidency has revealed to be the dirty smelly underbelly of American politics. That many whom we used to hail have revealed their true opportunist colors is quite the lesson

• 98 ChristiMtl
      September 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I can’t stand MM, what an hypocrite. Big loud mouth who pretend to care about the poor and middle class and do everything to help the extremist GOP. I go back often to the interview he did in 2000 when he was the biggest Nader supporter. Just to remind me what an hypocrite he is and phony. He should have learned his lesson but from what I’ve been seeing from him, he doesn’t care at all,…He was wrong back then and he is wrong now

Bleyer: What do you say to the question that’s on a lot of people’s minds, is a vote for Nader a vote for Bush?

Michael Moore: Number one, Bush is not going to win. I truly believe that, because the people of this country are not that stupid.

Secondly, Gore doesn’t own these people. He has to earn their vote, and I personally believe that a vote for Gore is a vote for Bush.

But what do you say to people who see an earnest difference between the two, and really want to vote for Nader but are legitimately scared of a Bush presidency?

You should never vote out of fear, you should vote your conscience. If people voted out of fear we never would have had the country, there never would have been a revolution. You’ve got to especially encourage young people to follow their conscience, because if you don’t start doing it now at the age of 18, you’ll never do it and in fact it’ll get worse.

• September 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm

You’re right, hopefruit2. Michael Moore’s suggestion of Oprah Winfrey as the next presidential Democratic nominee (when it’s obvious that she’s NOT and likely never will be a candidate for president) is a clear indication that he is trying to cover for his recent racist remarks regarding President Obama. I find the racist attitudes of Moore, Ralph Nader and the like disturbing and, frankly, quite insulting.

24. 100 donna dem 4 obama
    September 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm

HOLY MOLIE CHIPS

20 DONATIONS (and counting) FROM THE TOD FAMILY TODAY

My family is here for Sunday dinner and they are amazed at what this site did today. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm

As much as she makes some here cringe….I think this time she’s right.

26. 103 Gramiam44
    September 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Chipsticks, Anyone reading your post but not following up to read the article would think that the Tea Partier quoted in the post made the remark,
    “I asked Ryan Rhodes, the head of the Iowa Tea Party and a political consultant, for his thoughts on the West Des Moines couple’s situation. After saying a prayer for Ward, he said….

…. by the time the next president is sworn in, enough people will have experienced the protections and benefits it offers that no elected official would risk his or her standing by rescinding it. That’s the value of first-hand experience, painful as it may be. It brings you closer to the truth than all the political platitudes in the world.”

That opinion was expressed by the author of the article, Basu. I understand that the …. is meant to signal a disconnect between the Ryan Rhodes section of the article and the later quote about the fate of the Health Care bill in the future, but to somebody unfamiliar with this style or skimming quickly over the article, this could be extremely misleading

• September 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hi Gramiam44, you’re absolutely right, apologies for that sloppy editing, it does read like that last paragraph is spoken by the Tea Party guy – just removed it, many thanks for pointing it out.

27. 105 zizi
    September 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Hello folks,
    I have been on low anger simmer for a very long time re the whiny left. But Carville and the increasing chorus of PUMAs, PLs and deranged left, who keep carping about PBO being a pushover, has me fuming mad. And then a Chaicago Tribune hack has the nerve to tell PBO not to run for re-election. This nonsense in spite of all that he has achieved, and people want to tell us us that it has nothing to do with race? Here’s a comment I posted at Steve Benen’s site in response to one such comment:

The disgruntled left’s patently false meme that Pres. Obama has been a pushover needs to stop. If you have one party that is hellbent on dismantling the commonweal through kamikaze acts, and a president who has the responsibility of keeping this fragile country floating, then you have no business insulting said President for doing whatever it takes not to heave us down the rathole.

Governing this country is NOT a GAME where all that is at stake is swagger and bully points. It is a Damn fucking country we are steering here. That the corporate media chooses to treat this whole thing as a game makes it the prime catalyst for our rapid descent into economic and political mayhem.

No good deed goes unpunished has bee the lot of this President. That the disgruntled left doesn’t think this country is worth saving but rather a blinking game to be won is a damned shame.

If we all don’t fight this wingnut venom in our midst event he left’s last bastion of opinion peddling, the internet, will be lost when wingnuts destroy net neutrality. Perhaps then folks will learn their lesson in radio silence.

28. 110 maritza
    September 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Mr. and Mrs. Ross, I Hope the best for both of you.

29. 111 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm

THE BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME MEME

=================================

I hear this all the time: Both sides are the same! Democrats are just as bad as Republicans! What’s worse is that I hear this from liberals, people who should know better. I expect it from conservatives who desperately need to believe that they’re not voting for social and economic suicide but from liberals?! Liberals try to live in a world of fact based reality. Except when it comes to voting, apparently. Then far too many of them just throw up their hands and whine about the unfairness of it all. Then they vote for the Green Party and flush their votes down the toilet because the Democrats are “just as bad!” What a load of tripe. Let me help sort this out: When, in the last decade, have you seen a Democrat try to:

Pass legislation making it difficult to vote or just down right stripping people of their right to vote?

Pass legislation designed to discriminate against homosexuals?

Pass legislation designed to end Social Security and Medicare?

Pass legislation to end unions or make it impossible to unionize?

Pass legislation to end corporate taxes?

Pass legislation forcing doctors to repeat false “medical” information to women?

Pass legislation to make money for their own companies (Rick Scott)

Demonize an entire religion?

Replace the Constitution with the Bible?

=================================

30. 113 Bobfr
    September 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @TheObamaDiary The Reality of ObamaCare bit.ly/mP4oZF spread it #Obama #OFA #ObamaDOESCare

For those of you on Twitter – consider spreading #ObamaDOESCare :)

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

31. 116 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm

A thought has been nagging me for some time now and this as follows : what if we asked Team Obama and the DNC to mobilize a group of us regular people to form groups of ACA (or health-care) policy and its benefits to others at the grassroots?

we would need a summary presentation that could be done in 15 to 20 minutes – factual teaching materials about benefits and timeline when they kick in.

once the brief presentation is made then this could be followed by a discussion that includes real-life testimonials from our own neighbohoods.

we could also use these teams to provide information about healthcare programs to those who are eligible and have not taken advantage of this

at least an hour would be the total time allocated to this health-care teach in and people could volunteer their homes as venues. Any thoughts on the feasibilify of actions such as this?

32. September 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Thank you, Ross, for coming forward with your story. Godspeed to you and your wife Amy. And yes, thank you to Pres. Obama for HCR

33. September 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Just read on the hill that Solyndra fake controversy has given house republicans the ability to win back the narrative from jobs!
    They will be making a big stink about renewable energy investments!
    Just great! A dirty planet forever!

34. September 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Here we go again-
    Cleaver just made a statement to tge press saying if Obama was not president we would be marching on the WH!

Fyck him!

35. September 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Senator durbin–
    Senate will not act on the presidents jobs plan until October!

Wow!

36. September 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

The Senate likely will not take up President Obama’s plan to create jobs until next month following a planned recess period, the No. 2 Democrat in the chamber said Sunday.

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said the Senate would focus on a number of “related issues” to the $400 billion job-creation legislation this week. But he quickly noted on CNN that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has placed the massive jobs bill “on the calendar.”

The Senate is slated to be in recess Sept. 26-30, returning for legislative business on Oct. 3.

Some debate on the measure could begin “this week,” Durbin said. The legislation “is ready,” he said, “and poised.”

“But it’s more realistic it’d be next month,” Durbin said.

• 130 zizi
      September 18, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Then they turn around and falsely accuse the President of not leading. These fucks are two-faced grouches. They are all protecting their corporate donor lubricants. This is enough to tell us all we need to know about how Washington works. No wonder they all have their knives out for PBO. His presidency is exposing the rot and cesspool that blemishes both parties. As for we the electorate, they think of us only as rubes who fork over our measly cash and votes every so often. Dems prefer REpug whitehouses so that they can pretend to complain to get us trusting them over and over, just like Cleaver said. PBO has exposed thema nd their crooked hands.

• 131 zulu
        September 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Zizi, this is what happened with the healthcare bill, deficit etc. They drag there feet. We need a coodinated call to dems as well rather than boenher and mc connell.

• September 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I SO totally agree about coordinated effort to call Dems. I called 5 last week and let them know I was furious with them and their lack of support for the President.

37. September 18, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Evening friends, Haven’t been around all day……missed you all, but it’s been a good day. Wonderful, awesome, spirit-filled worship service this morning. Then learned my mother is doing well and probably discharged tomorrow. Attended an uplifting mtg. early p.m. about our food pantry….number of new volunteers present!! THEN, attended my FIRST Dem mtg. It was a meet-and greet for our Dem candidate for state Senate, District 6. Turns out she was VERY involved in Pres. Obama’s campaign & traveled to other states to help out. His Chicago folks have been helping her get her campaign going…..running numbers, etc. She plans on using lots of the same strategies of OFA. I met lots of folks today including a couple from my church who are very active in Knox County Democratic Party…..got lots of info from them about mtgs., etc. I plan on working on Gloria’s campaign. FIRST TIME I’ve ever done anything like this. She is a fabulous candidate……30-year educator (special ed) so obviously her main focus is education, kids, teachers, job training and jobs. I am excited to be stepping out of my comfort zone of my computer and telephone. It will be a learning experience, but I can do it!!!!!! ………Even with a Republican husband. :)

• 134 utaustinliberal
      September 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Yay!!!! Thanks for your feedback commentary tnmtngirl. Goodluck to you and the dem candidate.

• September 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm

TN, you CAN do it! Congrats on stepping out from your comfort zone. Happy to hear that your mom’s doing well and might be released tomorrow. Hope she’ll not be in any pain as she returns to her home.

• September 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Working on local campaign is a super way to train for 2012. It gets you in touch with a lot of voters and gives you a chance to lay the groundwork. And on top of all that, you build credibility with the local party which stands you in good stead when you need their support for the presidential campaign. Good luck. Hope your candidate wins because I know you will.

September 18, 2011 at 9:46 pm

tnmtngirl – So glad to hear the news about your mom! And also about your political activism! You go, (tnmtn)girl!

• 138 a4alice
      September 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Way to go tnmtng! :-)

38. September 18, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Zizi,
    agree with you. they dragged their feet with HCA, deficit ceiling etc until the republicans have had a chance for the lutz working points have been disseminated by the echochamber to the public. They then blame the president for their laziness. I should call Reid and pelosi as well as boehne and mcconell to show them that we are not playing games.

39. 140 Ross
    September 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

Thanks so much to all of you for your continued thoughts and prayers. They are are a great source of strength to both of us. Amy continues to get stronger every day and making great steps towards a full recovery.

I simply cannot believe the response that this article has received from so many people. It has helped restore my faith that, as Anne Frank said, people are generally good. This faith had been and continues to be shaken by the support the tea party continues to receive on this, and so many other issues.

What I hope people take away from this article though is not a sobp story about what we have been through. Yes, it has been a living hell for me personally, but we are fortunate in that we have excellent insurance. We have the savings so that my leave is not an undue hardship and I will have a job to go back to when this is over. We are just the cautionary tale of”what could have been”. I hope people realize that this story applies to millions of people who are LESS fortunare than we are, as opposed to just about us.

Thanks again to all of you,
    Ross

• September 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Ross, nay Amy continue to make beautiful progress each and everyday. I will keep both of you in my thoughts and in my prayers for the very best during this time.

I can tell you that the TOD family and our Chipsticks will be here for you and Amy to lift your spirits as Amy continues to get stronger.

I am so grateful that you shared your story with us and now others will see the value for fighting for good healthcare and especially to keep the ACA in place for many millions of people all across this country.

Please give Amy a big hug from me and from our TOD family. Tell her to be strong because we are praying and keeping good thoughts in our hearts for her. Keep your heart filled with that hope that will take you and Amy to that total and great strong recovery. Be kind and gentl to your lives. Blessings, HZ