Sep

‘know hope’

More at Mediaite

Andrew Sullivan: DADT is dead …. The video above tells you all you need to know .….. I remain intensely grateful for the Obama administration in getting this done and for the military itself which was far more mature about this than so many posturing politicians. This is truly a new day – one so many of us dreamed of but which has now come to pass.

Know hope.

President Obama: Today, the discriminatory law known as ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ is finally and formally repealed.  As of today, patriotic Americans in uniform will no longer have to lie about who they are in order to serve the country they love.  As of today, our armed forces will no longer lose the extraordinary skills and combat experience of so many gay and lesbian service members. And today, as Commander in Chief, I want those who were discharged under this law to know that your country deeply values your service.

I was proud to sign the Repeal Act into law last December because I knew that it would enhance our national security, increase our military readiness, and bring us closer to the principles of equality and fairness that define us as Americans.  Today’s achievement is a tribute to all the patriots who fought and marched for change; to Members of Congress, from both parties, who voted for repeal; to our civilian and military leaders who ensured a smooth transition; and to the professionalism of our men and women in uniform who showed that they were ready to move forward together, as one team, to meet the missions we ask of them.

For more than two centuries, we have worked to extend America’s promise to all our citizens.  Our armed forces have been both a mirror and a catalyst of that progress, and our troops, including gays and lesbians, have given their lives to defend the freedoms and liberties that we cherish as Americans.  Today, every American can be proud that we have taken another great step toward keeping our military the finest in the world and toward fulfilling our nation’s founding ideals.

From an earlier thread today:

46 Responses to “‘know hope’”

1. September 20, 2011 at 6:52 pm

This is an incredible day for so many who have been living in the shadows. I hope they find peace in this new day.

FYI – PBO will be doing a Jobs Bill Town Hall next Monday in Mountain View, CA., hosted by LinkedIn. I’m so excited that he’ll be answering questions directly about this. AWESOME.

2. 3 tally
    September 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm

There are no words. I’m crying like a baby.

3. September 20, 2011 at 6:58 pm

This video is so heartbreaking, watching him agonize about being truthful. Thank goodness his father was there for him.

• 6 Mel
      September 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm

meta yes the vidio is heartbreaking. it is also a beutif vidio was was in tears. as garndparent of 2 grandkids that are in the
      military my hole famiy are extremely proud of our President, Chipsticks thanks for thid beautiful vidio.

September 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Tears. Streaming down my face.What a momentous accomplishment. The end of the Era of Lies. Thank you, Mr. President.

5. 8 Me4obama
    September 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Oh dear, oh my Lawd indeed. Thank you daddy for loving your son no matter what. I have never seen anything like that before. What a powerful video that is!!!

• 9 Charmed
      September 20, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I Love his daddy…..”watch your drinking” “I love you and I will always love you” I have so much respect for his father…..and I am so happy he got that out….

6. 10 Fred
    September 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm

congrats buddy :D

7. 11 LOL
    September 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Yeah…I saw this earlier and I was beyond moved. The guy’s family is from Alabama- and I’m sure it had to have been extremely hard for him.

. I don’t know if you guys saw this. Here is the #3 Senate Republican, Lamar Alexander, stepping down from his post in the leadership so he could be more independent *cough,cough* work with the Dems *cough, cough* He is basically rejecting the direction the Reps are going- and do you see this blasted on Politico or on Mark AssHat’s The PAGE. No, because it does not go with their storyline.’ They are still stuck on Solyndra.

Stories like the one posted above is honestly what keeps me working for the Pres. I won’t let them (MSM) get me down.

• 12 Me4obama
      September 20, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Yup, when I heard Alabama I said to myself, OH NOOOO. But then again his Daddy proved my judgement wrong. What a sweet gentleman. I will email it to my Sister in Law’s Sister who is Gay.

• 13 LOL
        September 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I know….Being from the somewhat South (Florida)…I should have known better. As my VP would say this is big *bleeping* deal.

• September 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Saw this on an earlier thread and posted a comment but a new thread began so comment got ‘lost.’ I have no idea if it had anything, even tiny bit, to do with Alexander’s decision to step down from his leadership position……but, in the past two weeks I have had two long and emotional talks with a young man in Alexander’s local office. I asked him so very direct questions, read him some quotes (McConnell, DeMint, etc.) and asked if he knew who said it. “No.” I shared some statistical, provable data with him and asked about that. I said it was emotional…..it was, but no raising of my voice….not that kind of emotional. The main reason for both calls was Alexander’s direct quote: “PO has made the economy worse.” Once on a TV interview and the next week, in the newspaper. I really called him out on that and gave him some facts. Also talked about “the Jesus I know” and how he tells us to live our lives and treat others; how Republicans wrap themselves in the flag and the Bible, but they sure don’t walk the walk.

I am going to call the young man and let him know that I am aware of what his boss did and say that I hope he is truly and honestly sincere when he says he wants to work with PO and the Dems.

• 15 LOL
        September 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm

WOW- ^^^^You are the epitome of “Know hope” Regardless if your calls led to this or not, you are freaking awesome. A little part of me always thought Alexander had some sort of decency. Even when he would tote the right wing line, it never struck me as he believed them- he just had to do because he was part of the leadership. Again, I tip my hat off to you.

• September 20, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Thank you. I do know that Howard Baker was (and still is, I suppose) his mentor. We all know Howard Baker would NOT have done and said the things the kooks are saying/doing today.

September 20, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Was it you that came here and said that you got so emotional on the phone that you were crying? Someone did, I thought it may have been you. WOW. That was a special conversation that you had with that young man in his office.Glad that he was willing to listen, and sounds like, he was able to understand your POV. When you call him back, please let us know what he said. That was a great thing that you did.Good job,tnmtngirl. Good job.

8. 19 Hachikō
    September 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

That video makes my heart sing.

• 20 Mel
      September 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm

It’s all ready on the MSNBC web page this is going big time so thank you mr president so the PL wiii accused PBO of
      being too late I this time what I can tell the PL (F) U they can vote for Nader. or Cornel West loosers
      and did anybody sow on you tub CORNEL WEST celebrating his birthday in CHINA? with Travis
      check it out it make my stomack sick, and the say they care about the people the poor people? my ass
      they care about themselves. just like Nadar

9. 21 Fred
    September 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

have a good afternoon;evening and night TOD family.THANK YOU so much for another good day

10. 23 ChristiMtl
    September 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Teary eyes….

It’s just amazing

11. 24 ChristiMtl
    September 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I just read this in MJ

Why Did Ron Suskind Misquote Anita Dunn?

Here’s what he said he was told by former White House communications director Anita Dunn:

”Looking back, this place would be in court for a hostile workplace….Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace for women.”

But here’s the full quote:

”I remember once I told Valerie [Jarrett] that, I said ”if it weren’t for the president” this place would be in court for a hostile workplace….Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women.”

This doesn’t necessarily change the substance of the charge about the White House atmosphere — though it might, depending on what Dunn meant — but it definitely changes what it suggests about Obama himself. Why on earth did Suskind leave that bit out? It’s only eight words, and it’s not as if he was short on space.

• 25 Me4obama
      September 20, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Anita Dunn should know better NOT to talk to anyone regarding anything.

• 26 Mel
        September 20, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Anita Dunn took on FOX big time she was a good comunicator and very smart person and she always
        protetect the administration big time so do no go there. Suskind did this on perpese to sell hes fucking book
        in order to sell books you have to make things up .

• 27 Linda
      September 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I would bet her comment was about Larry Summers……

12. September 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

HI Everyone

I really enjoyed reading all the comments on the previous thread where Chips asked us to find articles on Hollywood support for the President.

That was a great thread for 2 BIG REASONS.

1. It was great to read about the support PBO has from Hollywood, reading these articles made me feel hopeful and encouraged.

2. We worked as a team to answer a question posed by Chips, and the results were astounding. How did it feel to look for those articles, did you feel powerful, confident, strong? If you didn’t do any looking (like me) did you stil feel strong to see what amazing results were produced?

Now compare that feeling to the one you get when you are posting an article that Suskind has criticized the President or Piers Morgan is smarmy?

When the blog focuses is efforts into a common goal – we can accomplish amazing things – whether it is finding dozens of positive articles on PBOs support from Hollywood or crushing Boehners switchboard with calls (go Donna).

so —— why do we spend so much time talking about icky stuff when we could be doing this other supportive stuff?

We cannot control what the media says or does, we can only control how we react to it.

IMHO – when I read about something good happening and the poster puts a “MSM ignores it”, at the end of the post, it takes some of the joy away.

I have noticed that while some stories are ignored by MSM many others are listed, just often a day or 2 behind.

So will we be spending our time complaining about the fact that MSM missed it, or spending our time sending tweets and emails to local media asking them to cover it. Posting the article to Facebook and sending email to friends asking them to read it?

It’s a subtle difference in how we react, but it makes a big difference in how we feel and what we accomplish.

I love you guys, I don’t mean to be preachy, I just want this blog to be as powerful as it can.

Let’s try and stay hopeful and positive – it makes the blog stronger.

September 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm

My heart was beating watching that video, right along with the young man when he was making the call. So glad his dad was there for him!

14. 31 AnitaW
    September 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Two very moving videos. The guy from Alabama. Simply wow.

15. September 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I would like to tell a story about my oldest Son, who Is gay. He’s forty-five years old now and Is doing very well. He’s a Professor at the University Of New Hampshire. He graduated Sum Cum Laude. Any way I knew when my Son was In Elementary School, that he was gay, at first, I must admit that It was very, very painful to me, as well as for him perhaps. I went for counseling to help me to accept what I could not change. I think I went to counseling for about two years, trying to accept this. I have two Sons, plus my Husband and I were separated, and I ended up raising them alone. I would go to counseling once a week, along with praying heavily, crying, tearing and just talking to the Lord, and especially when I was alone. moving right along here to make a long story short my oldest Son graduated from High School, went Into the Marines for eight years, and decided to get out and go to College for the first time. After my Son got out of the Marines he called me one night crying, and trying to tell me that he was gay, but was having a problem doing so, so I helped him by saying, that I knew more than he thinks I know. Whewwwwwwwwww well, he just cried and cried and cried, I said Son, I love you just as much today, as I did yesterday. I am so proud of you. I don’t understand why some are gay, and some are not, but I tell you that GOD made you, just like he made everyone else, and don’t you ever, ever forget that. Please know that I love you, justas much as my your younger Brother. So yes, that video made me cry and weep, but tears of joy too that they somehow were able to get It out. I want everyone here to know that I’m very very close to both my Sons, and I’m so happy that God gave me the strength to accept what I could not change, but yet love and love him some more.

• September 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Oh Luci, what a beautiful and powerful story, I appreciate you sharing it with us so much. You sound just like that the father in that phone call, I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him either, but love conquered all. Your sons are blessed to have you. Thank you again.

September 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Dearest luci,
      I echo what Chips said. Thank you so much for sharing your intimate, personal family issues with all of us here. I can tell by the beautiful words that you’ve written here, that you have incredible sons….and you, dear lady, are a most remarkable mother.A mother’s love is so very strong….hugs to you, AND your sons.

• September 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thank you desertflower, your comments means a lot to me, thank you :-)

• 37 utaustinliberal
          September 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that beautiful story with us Luci. God bless your heart for accepting your son for who he is and for reminding him that he is loved and cherished. We need more people like you in the world so the LGBT community won’t get demonized by people who hate them for no credible reason. Once again; bless your heart. You’re a wonderful soul.

• 39 JoJothecat
      September 20, 2011 at 9:17 pm

There needs to be more parents and people like you in the world Luci,

When prop 8 was being waged against gays in Calif, I could not understand why it went down in defeat in all places – California. I learned the Mormans poured a lot of money into it at the last minute. I remember talking to friends who I could not believe were against gays for some of the strangest reasons. I know if their child were gay they would be like you or this young man’s dad…..they would love them no matter what.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Thank you JoJo, I appreciate your kind words :-)

• 41 HZ
        September 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Luci, thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Oh, the power of a loving parent. May your love always be so wonderful to both your sons in this beautiful way. Your sons are so blessed to have such love. You are indeed a beautiful soul walking among so many beautiful parents, friends, and citizens who believe in equality for all. Bless you precious heart, Luci. My heart is so full .HZ

16. 43 donna dem 4 obama
    September 20, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Looking at the previous thread I was wondering if there was a way for us to contact those Republican Mayors? Wouldn’t it be great if we could do a call in to their offices and ask them to get those Repub. Governors and Congresscritters to get onboard with the AJA.

17. September 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm

“Really anyone who likes science or math, we’ve probably got a job for you,” said Justin Johnson, Senior Director of Engineering at Oncor, one of the country’s largest transmission and distribution utilities based in Dallas, Texas.

Johnson’s sentiments are echoed by electrical industry representatives across the nation, chronicled in a series of videos dubbed “Vids4Grids.” The video series, a project by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and funded by one of the Energy Department’s Smart Grid workforce development programs, takes a look at the range of new technologies in the electrical industry and gives great insight for those considering careers in engineering.

18. 46 HZ
    September 20, 2011 at 9:35 pm

TOD family, I just used up half a box of kleenex crying my eyes out after watching a documentary about DADT on HOB. I anyone want to see this, do not miss it. It is called: “The Strang Story of DADT.” It is well written. Just try to see it, if it comes on where you live.HZ