Sep

‘absolutely, totally true’

Paul Krugman: Well, it seems as if a number of people in the media have decided that (President) Obama was fibbing when he said that some millionaires pay lower tax rates than their secretaries – because, as the usual suspects triumphantly declare, on average millionaires pay higher average taxes than middle-income Americans.

This is, of course, stupid: the operative word is SOME.

And we’re not talking about one or two exceptional guys, either … If you look at the numbers since 2004, you’ll see that in a typical year between 30 and 40 percent of those super-high-income players paid an average tax rate of less than 15 percent; most of them paid less than 20 percent.

…. what becomes clear is that the Obama/Buffet claim is absolutely, totally true.

So why the attack? Probably because it’s such an effective line. And we can’t have populism that actually strikes a chord with the public, can we?

Buffett Rule Facts and Fictions

12 Responses to “‘absolutely, totally true’”

1. September 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Paul Nobel Prize winner Krugman needs to dirnk a big heapin helpin cup of STFU, really he does.

• 2 nathkatun7
      September 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I think this time he was speaking TRUTH, Ametia! He is defending the President against false media attacks.

September 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Thank you Krugman for seeing the light today. I fully expect him to act like an idiot tomorrow.

3. September 21, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I think he was angry that our President rejected him for a position at the wh.

• September 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Youu know what, SonjiaD, I work as a paralegal with attorney for my church. I ask what I need to do to step up my game and be the best I can to serve. I don’t go out and write shit about the people I work with or what they are not doing to stroke my freaking ego. PBO instinctively knows folks who are in it to win it, and those who are self-serving. Krugman did not get chosen for good reason. And we’re seeing why right now.

4. 7 Cindy Sweatt
    September 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm

So, did Paul Krugman back up the President? I am now confused by the posts above. Will someone clarify please.

• September 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Hi Cindy, yes, Krugman backed up the President and Warren Buffett’s claim that some secretaries pay more tax than their millionaire bosses. There was lots of reporting today denying this, but in that post Krugman produced the proof – it’s true.

5. 9 Cindy Sweatt
    September 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Thanks. Glad to hear it. Most days I really like Krugman–except when he goes against my President (yes, he is all mine!)

6. 10 Obama Grandmama
    September 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

i was surprised that the AP so called fact checked the PBO statement and came up with the average meme as though the President totally misrepresented this. I wonder if they averaged in all those who do not pay taxes cuz they don’t make enough money to pay taxes too? I would have expected this from FOX but not AP. Who owns the Associated Press or why would they say this? If it is the usual corporations not wanting to pay more it seems as if we need to be connected to the journalism world in order to get credibility.

• 11 Mel
      September 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Do not ever trust the AP they are always telling us misleading reports they are the same as FOX. when Bush was the President
      the AP wa reporting positive stuff about him. so screw the AP every time I see an article rwiting by the the AP I know is B>S
      or lies.

7. September 22, 2011 at 8:39 am

They had better shut the f**k up. Forbes richest four hundred increased their wealrh from 2010 to 2011 by 12%!!! In the meantime the people get threats from the repubs to cut their soc sec and medicare. Better leave that chit alone MSM, aint nobody crazy.