Oct

at your service

First lady Michelle Obama walks onstage to greet employees to thank them for their public service at US Secret Service headquarters in Washington

… with US Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan

Turns out everyone’s dickering over who gets which Secret Service agent.

Michelle Obama revealed the tongue-in-cheek family feud as she paid a visit to Secret Service headquarters on Wednesday to thank workers at the agency that, among its many duties, protects the first family.

“You all have really made us feel at home and safe, and there is no amount of thanks that I could convey that would give you a sense of how important you all are to us,” Mrs. Obama told hundreds of Secret Service employees….

“The work you do here is pretty scary,” she said. “All I can say, after my little tour, is ignorance is bliss. I just don’t want to know. You all can handle that. Just tell me where to run.”

The first lady said the Obamas have a special affinity for the agents assigned to protect them.

“People always ask what it is like to have Secret Service around,” Mrs. Obama said. “It’s like having family around …. We have a fight among our family over who’s getting which people.

“Sasha will come in, it’s like, ‘You took Scott!'” Mrs. Obama said. “Malia’s like, ‘You took Scott?  That’s not fair!’ And then I’ll say the same thing to Barack. It’s like, ‘Why did you get Beth?’ It’s dinner table conversation.”

…. greeting Secret Service employees after delivering remarks

22 Responses to “at your service”

1. October 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

So gorgeous. Great to see her so warmly received.

Also – President Obama will travel in another 3-day bus trip in Va. and N.C. from Oct. 17-19!!

2. 2 Fred
    October 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm

lovely to see you (and always) FLOTUS ;)

THANK YOU so very much Secret Service agents and employees for keeping our First Family safe

3. 3 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Purty lady! Love the hair!

4. 4 meabloom
    October 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

BEAUTIFUL!! She went model on ‘em in that first photo. Such a beautiful smile and huge heart. Love her!

Obama/Biden2012

October 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Yay!!! Glad that she made the US Secret Service employees day. They do so much work and rarely get their due recognition. Quite lovely to see such diversity in the agency; ethnicity wise and gender wise.

6. October 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

OT from the topic but wanted to report I called my senators, who support the AJA. I called my rep. and gave my spiel about being tired of republican obstructionism. I’ve called there so much I am permanently in the computer. I got through easily to Cantor and Boehner’s offices and said the same thing about being tired of their obstructionism and also cited the new ABC poll that said a majority of the American people want this bill. I believe I was abruptly hung up on by Cantor’s phone answerer but Boehner’s said have a nice day. I also asked that my senator Menendez use his influence to get the wayward dem senators on board. My husband sent e-mails to the above.

• 10 dotster3
      October 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thanks, Diane!

• October 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Interesting, Diane. You probably didn’t see my update this morning. I also got hung up on from Cantor’s office. Then, called Boehner’s office and got hung up on there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was more emotional at the end of the Boehner call, but not enough to get hung up on. What upset the Cantor guy was: I quoted what Cantor said yesterday (Rs have different ideas about the economy and how to create jobs.) I asked him to please give me those ideas. After he fumbled and stammered, I interrupted him and said—I understand why you are flustered because you can’t give me an answer. The Rs have no ideas. —- Slam when the phone.

7. 12 Ladyhawke
    October 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

O/T: The Hour Of The Jackals is upon us. Press Secretary Jay Carney will be briefing the jackals momentarily.

• 13 itgurl_29
      October 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm

LOL, jackals! LOL!

• October 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm

LOL@hour of the jackals. Carney bitchslaps them on the regular. Our FLOTUS is well loved.

• 15 Ladyhawke
        October 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I love it, Jay just said did all of the reporters get a memo from the Republicans to ask Jay about “PROCESS” issues. The reporters are obsessed with who is calling who and what meetings are being held. They just want drama. The issue is why isn’t congress doing it’s job. President Obama is doing his.

• 16 Ladyhawke
          October 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm

The reporters are startled to see out PARTICIPATORY DEMOCRACY in action. President Obama is taking the American Jobs Act directly to the American people and asking them to contact their representatives if they agree with his approach to job creation. The reporters are acting like this is poisoning the well. Like is some unusual activity. It’s just astonishing that all they can do is harp on silly process questions about why x has not called y.

• October 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I keep telling ya’ll they’re hyenas!

8. October 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

that first pic of FLOTUS is glorious.

there’s something about it.

man, I just love her

9. 19 anniebella
    October 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

To hell with that right wing piece of crap, our First Lady is worth a million bucks and people like her. Just look at the response from the people. I so wish FLOTUS was able to join POTUS on his next trip, man you talking about the excitement, Wow wee!

10. 21 HZ
    October 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I am so elated that FLOTUS got this opportunity to thank them. Looking at the photos, they were happy as well. We thank Director Sullivan and his entire department for their dedicated service to our First Family and the entire Administration’s protections in all areas . Thank you SS Department.HZ

11. 22 Mae who love our CIC
    October 6, 2011 at 9:51 am

Way to go Secret Service. Thanks for doing your job of protecting our beautiful First Family of the United States of America. Thank you so very much.