Oct

wrap-up

President Barack Obama talks with staff in Senior Advisor David Plouffe’s West Wing office at the White House, Oct. 6, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Jonathan Cohn (The New Republic): Remember when President Obama wouldn’t even utter the word “Republican”? Those days are long gone. And maybe, just maybe, the change in rhetoric is starting to pay off.

We’re now into week four of the administration’s campaign to promote its jobs proposal. And instead of dialing down the pressure, Obama has been dialing it up….

…. A new ABC-Washington Post poll suggests that, so far, Obama’s campaign is working …. public support for the elements of his jobs bill is high. And, more important, Obama has opened up a substantial gap with the Republicans over which party voters trust more to handle “job creation.”

… whether or not the Democrats have every single member in line is less important than whether they have 50 votes to pass it – because if they have the 50 votes, then the obstacle to enactment won’t be Democrats. It will be Republicans….

And that ought to matter to the voters. Everybody assumes Obama is campaigning hard for his jobs plan primarily to make a point to the voters about who stands for what, in advance of the 2012 elections. That’s probably true. But he’s adopted this posture because Republicans refuse to compromise. And if Republicans start to pay a political price for holding up popular legislation, there’s still a chance they will relent – and pass legislation before the year is done….

Full post here

Based on Symmetry’s brilliant twitpic here (Thanks Meta)

Business Week: Railroads shipments are the highest in almost three years, helping to defy concerns about a double-dip recession.

Total rail volumes averaged 381,831 carloads in August, the most since October 2008 … these shipments represent the bulk of materials for industrial production, so rising volumes show the economy is still growing…

… since reporting quarterly earnings in July, the three largest U.S. railroads haven’t given any indication of a sharp decline in demand similar to 2008 and 2009, when volumes fell as much as 24 percent on an annual basis.

…. Earlier this month, CSX’s Chief Financial Officer Oscar Munoz said he isn’t concerned about “any kind of overarching sort of dire circumstances around the corner,” as there is still a “general level of optimism” among customers and suppliers.

“Sure, things have moderated, but there is no one in that near state of panic that we saw certainly in late ‘08 and ‘09,” Munoz said….

Greg Sargent (Washington Post): John Boehner has a new line he’s trying out to justify the Republican House’s rejection of Barack Obama’s jobs bill: “We’re legislating. He’s campaigning. It’s very disappointing.”

Huh? Really?

… legislating? The House of Representatives? The 112th Congress? Hard to believe that Boehner could say that one without bursting out laughing. The current House has done hardly any legislating at all. They could barely pass a bill to keep the government’s lights on back in the spring, and they almost send the nation into default in the summer…..

And outside of that there’s … well, almost nothing. As Obama pointed out today, there is no Republican initiative that can meaningfully be called a jobs bill…

…. The key here is that real legislating requires compromise, especially during times of divided government. And House Republicans have no intention of compromising with either the Senate or with Barack Obama … Even now, if Boehner really offered to deal on jobs, I don’t think anyone doubts that Obama would hop off the campaign trail and try to work something out. But there will be no legislating, because the House isn’t going to do it.

No matter what talking points John Boehner might trot out.

About one thousand people gather and form a large ‘99%’ in the middle of Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC, October 6

Thanks nintendowii10

Perry and Bachmann finally talk some, err, sense:

GOPolitico’s race-baiter supreme, Julie Mason – get over it Julie, your President is black ;-) – had yet another pitiful dig at the President today for not mentioning, when he hosted the Texas A&M University women’s championship basketball team at the White House, that her beloved Rick Perry attended the college. Maybe Julie missed her buddy Knoller’s tweet…..

The President invited Perry to the White House?! See, that’s what you call class, Julie – you should try and acquire some one day ;-)

Captain Mark Kelly hugs his wife, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, after receiving the Legion of Merit from Vice President Joe Biden during a retirement ceremony in the Secretary of War Suite in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, in Washington, D.C., Oct. 6, 2011. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

The photo I love more than any:

Forty years after their silent protest at the 1968 Olympics, Gold Medalist Tommie Smith hugs Bronze Medalist John Carlos, and their wives Delois Smith and Charlene Carlos after Barack Obama is officially sworn in as the President of the United States. (Boston Globe/Stan Grossfeld)

Night everyone ;-)

91 Responses to “wrap-up”

1. October 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Mega goodness! Chips, you are the best. What can we do for you?????

2. October 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

WOWIE, this is an heroic wrap-up, Chips. So much happens every week, it’s just incredible. Thank you.

3. 7 Bobfr
    October 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Amazing job, Chipsticks. Just amazing!!! Thank you.

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    Check this – ‘Trust to Handle Job Creation – obamadiary.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/poll.p… #PresidentObama dominates #GOPFAIL and he’s just warming up. #PRESSON

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

4. October 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Loved that progress vs congress pic. Perfect depiction of america tody.

• 9 COS
      October 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Wow Chips this is amazing. This gives all of us a chance to watch the videos which we missed today. I just had a chance to watch Ed take Ratigan to the woodshed. He was not hearing any of Dylan’s spin. I know Randi is working with him on that “get the money out” but I can’t stand Ratigan.

• 10 nintendowii10
        October 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Ratigan is a right winger, I don’t know why anyone gives him the time of day.

Glad to see Ed pull his head out of his ass and actually support the President, but I saw this a year ago, when he was singing the President’s praises, then he went on to bash Obama for months on end. Hopefully Ed is sane enough to stay on the President’s side this time.

• 11 JoJothecat
          October 6, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Dylan Ratigan just doesn’t want to listen to anyone else. He was on Randi and he wouldn’t let her talk. I agree we need to get money out of politics but he needs to rail on the GOP because they are the ones raising obnoxious amounts of money from billionaires ,millionaires, PACs and lobbyists and the Dems have unions and individuals giving, a few millionaires one less billionaire. The republican GOP will not initiate getting money out of politics because they want the money and the luxurious perks.

• 12 Eleroy
            October 6, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I don’t rust Dylana Ratigan!!! The man is a first class ass and very dubious!!! I think even Randi knows that!!!

• 13 57andFemale
          October 7, 2011 at 12:33 am

Unfortunately with Ed, he can be pro-Obama at the beginning of a sentence and anti-Obama by the end of it. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

that being said, whenever any of these guys are pro-Obama we have to be supportive. Glad Ed had a good day.

October 7, 2011 at 5:42 am

I was glad Ed stood up for the President after the press conference, Ed shouldn’t have let that big mouth Ratigan guy run him off, not without saying what he wanted too. All these loud mouth like Ratigan think they can solve the problems, think they know everything, if that’s the case then why aren’t they sitting in Congress helping to fix the problems.

October 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm

C-Span2 TV is currently airing what Majority Leader Reid said on the Senate floor earlier in the evening. Not sure if it’s what caused the big impact on the Rs, since I just started watching, but wanted to mention.

6. 21 nintendowii10
    October 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Hey Chips, another video to add to the collection above:

Judge Mathis shares his thoughts on the Occupy Wall Street movement

7. 26 Bobfr
    October 6, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @SenatorReid @SenatorSchumer We know #McConnellFAIL’s stunt to harm American workers & #GOPFAIL’s incessant obstruction. #PRESSON #PASSAJA

#YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

October 6, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Wow. Thanks so much for this wrap up Chipsticks. Thanks for the #AJA jobs Ad and thank you thank you thank you for the “It is the Democratic Party” Ad. They are both a million times better than the deluge of “I’m A Mormon” Ad that’s been all over every freaking station; cable and otherwise. Nothing against Mormonism. Everyone has the right to practice whatever religion they choose or if they don’t want to be religious, then that’s fine by me. But whenever I remember that it was the Mormon church that practically funded the whole prop 8 LGBT issue in California and took away the marriage rights of our friends in the LGBT community; I get super pissed off that they’re trying to pass themselves off in multiple Ads as tolerant, advocates for equal rights, have no problem with anyone getting married and legally declaring their love. Plus, they’re just doing this nefarious campaign to make Romney and Hunstman appear “moderate.” It’s as bad as the Chuck Todd Ad on MSNBC.

I would loooooove to see more Ads by Democrats on every freaking station! At least they promote true equality.

• 28 nintendowii10
      October 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Speaking of Huntsman, I just saw the DNC ad where they showed all of the debate candidates, and there was Huntsman, talking about defunding ObamaCare, the EPA… repeating everything the other Republicans were saying. I don’t see why anyone considers him “moderate,” just because he called out the Teabag radicals and said good things about the President… John McCain did so in 2008, and he’s nowhere near being moderate.

• 29 theo67
        October 6, 2011 at 11:37 pm

It’s a shame that the GOP is refusing to compete amongst themselves, and the President is basically having to debunk all eight “candidates” on his own. What are the GOP primaries about, anyway? They are supposed to be competing amongst themselves, and then the winner of that competition gets to be crushed by President Obama. Someone should explain it to them.

• October 6, 2011 at 10:30 pm

This has been quite a day – thanks Ms Chips! I loved the President’s press answers, FLOTUS’s activity, Gabbie & Mark looking so happy, the PROgress vs CONgress poster, AND Harry R being ‘leaderish’ at an unexpected moment. Yep, this has been a good day! Good night, Everyone! The land of Nod is calling loudly. Sleep tight and may we all have a good night’s rest!

9. October 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Phew! It’s been one helluv a day. The righties are busier than a one armed paper hanger with crabs and their trays are running out of water. i’m tired. Ya’ll have a good night. i’ll se you on the other side. GOD willing.

10. 34 Bobfr
    October 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @vanjones68, respectfully, #OCCUPYAVotingBooth2012 should be a focus of all your efforts. Thank you. #PRESSON #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

11. 38 FiredUpInCA
    October 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Chipsticks this is masterful. Putting this together in one spot and aggregating the best of what’s out there, the serious, the sublime and the absurd (just about every utterance from the GOP) is great work and you do it consistently well. Thank you for this space that you created and continually keep relevant, compelling and welcoming.

• 39 isonprize
      October 6, 2011 at 10:30 pm

clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!!!

Our Chica is the best of the best of the BEST!!

12. 41 Bobfr
    October 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @maddow, respectfully, #OCCUPYAVotingBooth2012 should be a focus of many of your programs. Thank you. #PRESSON #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @oprah, respectfully, #OCCUPYAVotingBooth2012 should be a focus of your messaging. Thank you. #PRESSON #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

13. 43 Bobfr
    October 6, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @TheRevAl, respectfully, #OCCUPYAVotingBooth2012 should be a focus of many of your programs. Thank you. #PRESSON #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @WeGotED respectfully, #OCCUPYAVotingBooth2012 should be a focus of many of your programs. Thank you. #PRESSON #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @CountdownKO, respectfully, #OCCUPYAVotingBooth2012 should be a focus of many of your programs. Thank you. #PRESSON #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

14. 50 Me4obama
    October 6, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I think Chipsticks should get an award in the Oval Office by the one and only….. Good night Family, see you all tomorrow. I will go watch the wrap up videos.

15. 54 FiredUpInCA
    October 6, 2011 at 10:50 pm

So here’s headline from today:

“Ex-commander McChrystal: US started war in Afghanistan with ‘frighteningly simplistic’ view – AP”

And then there’s this from May 2009:

“The decision to send Stan McChrystal…is a good one,” [Dick] Cheney told Cavuto. “I think the choice is excellent. I think you’d be hard put to find anyone better than Stan McChrystal.”

I am interested to see how long it will take between tomorrow and the Sunday talk shows for either Dick or Liz Cheney to reassess the idea that ‘you’d be hard put to find anyone better than Stan McChrystal’ The Bush administration does not like criticism about any decision they have ever made.

I suspect McChrystal will join Condi Rice, Colin Powell, Scott McClellan and Paul O’Neill (Bush’s first treasury secretary) under the bus for having the temerity to comment honestly on one of the most incompetent White House administrations in American history.

16. October 6, 2011 at 10:54 pm

WOW ! This is great Chipsticks. Thank you so much for all that you do.

October 6, 2011 at 11:13 pm

HI, family…Whew! What a day. What a week. Chips, you are a warrior.I am so proud to be here with all of you, gaining all the knowledge that pours from every comment and every new thread…I am so honored to be in this company. Truly, I am.
    Been one of those crazy days…aside from the political events of the day ( I love you, President Obama!)…my sister was supposed to fly out here to visit me tonight…and go to her stepdaughter’s engagement party Saturday…she got on the plane (HATES to fly!…) and they sat. And sat. And sat. Mechanical problems. They all got OFF the plane, had to get their luggage,go argue with the ticket person about another flight out here…AND pay for parking. Did I say it cost her $45 for a burrito and a glass of wine? Holy crap…no wonder I never fly!
    She gets all squirrelly at times like this…they routed her to Charlotte/change planes/ fly to AZ tomorrow…that sucked for her..she wanted a direct flight…argued some more with the US Air people….anyway, she’s coming tomorrow and I’ll be so happy when she gets here! I took a personal day at work to spend the time with her. We really haven’t seen each other in 10 years…So…If you don’t hear from me, don’t worry….I didn’t want anyone to think something awful…..I know how much we all worried about Sue!
    I’ll be enjoying my time with my little sister…and hopefully laughing, relaxing, and reminiscing about all the stupid stuff we’ve done:) PLENTY of that:)
    I’ll try and check in…Hi, my name is desertflower and I’m addicted to TOD:)

• 59 theo67
      October 6, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Enjoy your weekend with your sister this weekend, desertflower! I’m sure it will be wonderful, once she actually gets there.

October 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Chips? Do we find out about Donna tomorrow????!!!!! I’m so excited for her!

19. October 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm

From Maggy on Twitter:

Maggyw519 Maggy
    A fulltime labor of love The Obama Diary chips you are amazing! Today’s Wrap-Up STELLAR!

And Chips I concur!

Goodnight my peeps.

October 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Thank You Chips – this is an amazing wrap up! Enjoyed every bit of it. Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

October 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Just watching LOD’s interview with Herman Cain.

Is it me or did Lawrence go too far (back in time?). He hit Cain on whether or not he protested while he was in college during the civil rights movement in the ’60s (which Cain had written about in his book, apparently). Then he harped that Cain didn’t sign up for military service in Vietnam ahead of the draft (I guess he was waiting to be drafted or something but wasn’t). He compared his lack of service with John Kerry’s service and suggested Cain might have to explain his lack of military service since he wants now to be Commander in Chief.

I don’t know – I’m of that generation and I think we need to maybe talk about something a little more current? Am I wrong? We’re in an era now when we have no draft, and certainly President Obama at age 50 is, I believe, one of the finest Commanders in Chief we’ve ever had.

Plus, I looked up Lawrence’s date of birth – he was born in 1951 – I’m wondering what he did about civil rights when he was a teenager? Of course, he could respond that he’s not running for President, himself, but tonight’s questions to Cain seemed a bit of a stretch for me. LOD is too smug for my tastes. As a liberal, I like an even playing field for any candidate, even though Republicans would never agree if it’s a Democrat in the “hot seat.”

• 67 theo67
      October 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I don’t watch Lawrence anymore unless a clip is posted here, but I have to say, people seemed really happy with the smackdown of Cain today. And no-one deserves it more. He’s a bigot and an idiot – his comments about Muslims, black people, victims of the economic disaster, the young Wall Street protesters – they all make him eligible for every ounce of criticism that can be found. He insults the term “human being”, as far as I’m concerned.

As for the question of going too far back – I think it’s important to show us the character of this person who is the front runner, leading a pack of ignorant, uninformed, bigoted people.

October 7, 2011 at 12:11 am

I see what you’re saying, of course, theo67. I guess – although I can’t stand Cain for the reasons you called out – I let my total and visceral negativity about O’Donnell get in my way of some type of analysis (as you did) of the merits of his questioning.

Still, I also don’t want anyone going after President Obama for things he did in his youth … but I guess they already did during ’08; just different topics.

Think I’d better go “worry” about something else now!

• 69 57andFemale
      October 7, 2011 at 12:12 am

As a child of the ’60’s let me make a few points: I really don’t blame anyone who didn’t want to go to Vietnam. By the late ’60’s it was clear that there was no ‘enemy’ for America to fight. My entire generation was cannon fodder for the military industrial complex.

Here is what I do object to, however: the scary white guys who walked around campus, eager for their classmates to go when they were not willing to go themselves. The first time I saw Ken Starr, he represented that whole sorry excuse for Americans to me.

I object to the blood lust of the likes of Dick Cheney and his ilk who did everything they could to avoid Vietnam and have spent their careers sending Americans to war. That is obscene.

But I don’t blame anyone of my generation for not wanting to go. I don’t expect all of them to have protested the war. At the very least I do expect that they wouldn’t vote for Goldwater or Nixon or any Republican who wanted (and still wants) endless war.

Bill Clinton, for whom I have little respect these days, articulated this position well during his campaign and gave much needed context.

October 7, 2011 at 12:34 am

Well said. The only “good” thing that ever came out of the Vietnam era is that now, at least, everyone always “welcomes home” our veterans. So unlike the young soldiers who were actually blamed for the decision for our country to be involved in the conflict in Vietnam, when they came home.

October 7, 2011 at 6:11 am

Sometimes, and I do mean some times I might watch O’Donnell, but when I saw Cain was up there, I felt brain washed not to watch him. To hell with Herman Cain.

• October 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

the thing about Cain wasn’t that he was in college.

it was where he was -MOREHOUSE

the Alma Mater of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

AND, where he was – ATLANTA.

Atlanta was ‘ it ‘ for Black folks and activism, long before then.

so, for Cain to act like the Civil Rights movement was ‘just there’

I don’t believe him.

• 73 conlakappa
      October 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

Anything that Cain has written becomes fair game. It’s part of his life story and subject to examination.

22. 74 AnitaW
    October 6, 2011 at 11:42 pm

What’s up with Scott Brown? Is he feeling the heat from all the Elizabeth Warren news?

October 7, 2011 at 12:24 am

Probably. Or he’s just being Scott Brown, the loser.

October 7, 2011 at 6:16 am

Yes he is, Brown knows he only won the last time because he had a weak, weak, weak, opponent. ELizabeth Warren will give the pretty boy a run for his money. Maybe to win again he might have to take his clothes off again. If a woman had done that she would had never been elected, just like if a woman look like Christie, she wouldn’t stand a chance in winning any political office. There is double standard.

23. 77 bonkers
    October 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Epic, Chipsticks!

Love that photo from Plouffe’s office…like David is cranking away in the shadows working his magic once again. To think he’s got the same team that helped him win, in a landslide mind you, one of the most amazing campaigns in US history, working again now where they have more wisdom, money, and the track record of the most Liberal President in generations….damn, I like ‘Dem odds.

Remember all the hanging wringing and worry at about 82 different times during the 2008 campaign, and Al Giordano was stopping the spread of Chicken Littleism by vaccinating people weekly, and how David & David and Stanley Ann’s son kept their heads down and knew what they were doing all along, it turns out?

Yes We Can, Again…indeed!

October 7, 2011 at 12:28 am

Fired Up! Again!

• October 7, 2011 at 7:21 am

Oh, I do remember this, Bonkers, and wish Al would come back with his vaccinations. He kept my blood pressure down through many turbulent times. He does important work with the School of Authentic Journalism and his focus on South America, but when he turns his attentions to American politics, he offers such a clear head. Thanks you, Chopsticks, for the doze of sanity. You spread a healing balm on anxious souls.

24. 80 mtmarilyn
    October 6, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Wow, Chips what a wrap up. We are so thankful for this great place. We are America!!! We know that we are the real base and we will fight for Obama. This is for America. Thanks everyone for all you do. I’ll continue calling, tweeting and emailing, tomorrow.

25. October 6, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Thhanks Chips..you keep us sane. you are an angel sent from above. Great wrap!

26. 82 57andFemale
    October 7, 2011 at 12:01 am

I finally upgrade my phone (so far the smartphone is outsmarting me but I will overcome). I decide to take the twitter plunge and sign up and……there’s something broken on the twitter site. God.

Oh, and I hate Republicans. The party that is willing to ruin the global economy in order to defeat Obama has the temerity to talk about ‘campaigning?”

God..

27. 83 a4alice
    October 7, 2011 at 12:07 am

hey twtter seems broke! I guess I better go to bed. rats.

28. 84 halo
    October 7, 2011 at 12:27 am

Chipsticks, you’re brilliant!

29. 85 HZ
    October 7, 2011 at 12:43 am

Good Night Chipsticks and TOD Family. Is it me, or have I missed something. I have not seen Carolyn lately. Has anyone heard anything? I hope everything is okay.

Sue, I hope you are doing ok as well. Please get rest and enjoy your time here as well. I send you my thoughts of love in a BIG hug. I love you back also .

Chipsticks, again, thanks so much for another great day. Chipsticks, you are so wonderful to us. I hope that we will always lift you up with our positive and good thoughts. Get some rest and know that I am so grateful for you being in my life. I feel like I have found a very loving, intelligent, hardworking, gifted, and inspiring group of very caring people to be a part of my life. Thank you Chipsticks for everything. I love you back very much.HZ

October 7, 2011 at 1:18 am

Night. Thank you all for everything…always.

31. 87 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
    October 7, 2011 at 1:34 am

:shock: My God where does Chips find the time? And we haven’t even hit full stride in the campaign yet. :shock: :shock: :shock:

32. October 7, 2011 at 1:50 am

Wow Chips. What a wonderful wrap up. How ever to you do what you do.? Are you drinking Red Bull or Double Shot? You deserve a medal. You are amazing. Thank you.

33. 89 Bobfr
    October 7, 2011 at 1:54 am

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    #McConnellFAIL #CantorFAIL #OBAMA sent you a paid-for Jobs Bill. All you do is whine and harm Americans instead of passing it. #FLUSHGOP2012

#PRESSON

34. 90 proudmemberofglobalzero
    October 7, 2011 at 7:13 am

Great wrap up. Just wanted to say on the Herman Cain issue. The man LIED. LO read his book to him after Cain said he was in HIGH SCHOOL in 10th grade during the civil rights movement. In Cains book…he was at MOOREHOUSE! The man lied and got caught. He sat on the sidelines during the Civil Rights movement. Viet Nam…I won’t even go there.

35. October 7, 2011 at 8:15 am

Thank you for the wrap up. Everyone is so busy talking against our Pres that this is a wonderful place to be. Note to self Dont watch Tweety

RSS OFA