Oct

mobs?

Steve Benen: …. At this point two years ago, Republicans quickly became outraged if Democrats dared to criticize so-called “Tea Party” activists. After all, how could Dems have the audacity to disparage law-abiding Americans speaking out against abuses that offend them? How could Democrats have the gall to condemn sincere patriots who want to have their voices heard?

Two years later, Cantor is entirely comfortable chastising Americans who disagree with his failed, regressive economic vision as a “mob.” How tolerant of him.

…. Is it “pitting Americans against Americans” when Cantor and his cohorts to go after Planned Parenthood, its employees, its patients …. unions, school teachers, trial lawyers, scientists, economists, journalists, community organizers, and advocates for the poor?….

Or does the dimwitted Majority Leader believe “pitting Americans against Americans” is fine just so long as the Republican Party doesn’t like the Americans on the receiving end of the criticism?

Full post here

November 2009:

76 Responses to “mobs?”

1. 1 nintendowii10
    October 7, 2011 at 11:50 am

Keep it up Can’tor. Many of us STILL haven’t forgotten how you played partisan party line politics with disaster aid. You sir are an asshole of the highest order!

2. 4 m
    October 7, 2011 at 11:51 am

Looking at and listening to this man all I can think about is that he has completely sold his soul to the devil.

• 5 Fred
      October 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

don’t think he has a soul in the 1st place to be sold

• 6 m
        October 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Well, yes Fred you do have a point there!

• 8 Mel
        October 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Can-tur No. NO. NO. NO. touch my rich donors in WS they are the real Americans ashole my grandkids are in the military
        protecting you and Fucking rich frieds while you are here saying we are the enemies go (F) coward. the next time you
        VOTE to go to WAR send all your family I.am sure the will protect us better FUCKER sorry TOD people.

• 9 Olivia
          October 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thank you, Mel you and your grandkids and the rest of your family for their sacrifices. They are greatly appreciated!

3. 10 Fred
    October 7, 2011 at 11:52 am

what an asswipe!

4. 11 Me4obama
    October 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

I can only read Steve Benen article, I can NEVER bring myself to hear Toddler’s Voice, he is what you call the ultimate DEVIL trying to destroy what’s good in a person. I LOATHE that IDIOT.

October 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I’m with you. I want to “know” what he’s saying, but I don’t want to hear it. I’m keeping my ears on alert, however, for anything President Obama has to say! :)

• 13 cuphalffull
      October 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Its called revulsion and it is a psychologically healthy and perfectly normal response when exposed to extreme self-centeredness in another person, IMHO.

• 14 geegee
        October 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I had to LOL when Can’tor described Speaker Pelosi’s approach as “my way or the highway”. This from someone who it’s said to described himself in his high school yearbook as ” I want what I want when I want it”, or some such nonsense.

Cantor is someone you just want to take to the woodshed for a good old fashion tail whooping. Little boy! :mad:

• October 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Yeah, Me4obama, I’d have to be paid a lot to listen to anything he says. I’ve never heard his voice..cantor’s asshole face is bad enough and says it all anyway. Schadenfreude would be sweet if this enemy of America got knocked out of his arrogant perch.

5. October 7, 2011 at 11:58 am

Here’s my response to that idiot:

@metaquest
    .@EricCantor #OWS marchers aren’t carrying guns, kicking disabled people and cutting gas lines like your mob Teahadi Party. #GOPFAIL

October 7, 2011 at 11:59 am

This is another example of why people refer to him as a soulless bastard. He is absolutely callous. I know there’s someone challenging him for his seat. Virginia please kick this evil child out.

• 19 a4alice
      October 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm

UT: I confess. I stole your last sentence. It was too good to keep to ourselves.

@vademocrats Virginia please kick this evil child out. @ericcantor theobamadiary.com/2011/10/07/mob… #PRESSON #OWS

• October 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm

According to Stephanie Miller TEA=Total Economic Amnesia. Plus some other areas of forgetfulness. He is not the hole, he’s the colon!

7. 22 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

He’s my rep. *bows head in shame*

Can’t stand this bastard. :evil:

• October 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh, my deepest condolences. He’s the worst smarmiest jerk in a Congress full of them.

• 24 Fred
      October 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm

yes he’s a bastard and sending you a virtual hug PJ.You are too good to be stuck with that punk

• 25 Gramiam44
      October 9, 2011 at 3:35 am

Cantor is just scared spitless. We, the 99%, are in the right. We can laugh at ourselves, and best of all, we will defeat the Cantors of the world with sanity, grace and laughter. We will laugh their bloated carcasses right out of town! Be afraid 1 percent. Be very afraid. The French people came with Madame Guillotine, but we have evolved. We will twitter you into oblivion, drown your Facebook pages in truth and video every last attempt to lie about our motives!

8. 26 anniebella
    October 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I don’t recall Canter calling the Tea Party any names. Of the three headed Republicans, Canter and McConnell is the two I really can’t stand. Boehner is a weak, weak, leader, he is afraid of Canter and the T-Party.

9. October 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

These sociopaths are so used to lying that they literally believe themselves. They’ve been allowed to get away with it by the media, by the Obama-critical so-called Left, and have been rewarded for it by the Tea-saurs. They’ve created a faux-reality that is only rarely contradicted by the sane, which is almost single-handedly represented by The Only Adult in the Room. Painful economic circumstances may have dissauded them, but, that bleeding was staunched by TOAITR. So they are sailing along without personal cost on a just-calm-enough sea created by the man they want to displace. We’ll see if an awakened electorate can penetrate this fog and if a merciful Heaven will let it.

• 28 PoliticalJunkessa
      October 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Excellent comment. They truly live in an alternate reality with their own “worldviews” as they call it. It’s going to come crumbling down, though. As PBO said, “they don’t realize the ground has shifted beneath them.” As it’s always been, it will be.

• October 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Yes, fancieful, it’s the US media/aka/gopropaganda BIG LIE MACHINE. It could be worse..we could not have the internet or sites like TOD & TWITTER!

10. October 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Good Morning TOD family

Feeling a bit upset with Cantor,?? Let’s channel that anger by spending the day calling his office and all the members of the Senate.

Fill out their email forms, send them tweets.

2 groups that warrant special attention are

1. Democrats who are waivering
    2. Republicans who DID NOT sign the Norquist pledge and might be more willing to vote for jobs.

I would also suggest that everyone who wrote to ESPN and asked them to fire Hank Wiliiams – send them a note of thanks. It will make them feel good and it will make us feel wonderful.

I have found writing positive encouraging email makes my blood pressure go down and puts a smile on my face.

ESPN / ESPN2
    ESPN Plaza
    935 Middle Street
    Bristol, CT 06010
    (860) 585-2236

11. 36 Bobfr
    October 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Bobfr
    Our4thEstate Bobfr
    #KOCHMAFIA lieutenant #Cantor is certainly an expert on ‘mobs’ – but even experts sometimes get confused #ows #PRESSON

12. October 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm

11,123 is where the Dow is now…look where it was during the 2 years ago Cantor video: 9977. #justsayin’

13. October 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

How does scum like Cantor rise to Majority leader? Can any “decent” person look at this man’s smirking face and soulless eyes and say, Gee, I’m proud he’s the majority leader in the House? Surely, there are some decent, responsible Republicans left on the planet who recoil at his nastiness. Of course, he’ll be coddled by the media who’ll say the left does it too. I’ve noticed that PBO seems particularly repelled by this creep, since it’s his name he’s calling out in his speeches. We’ve had some humdingers leading the House over the last several decades. Tom Delay was an outright thug, but this one takes the cake for pure smarminess.

Personally, I’ve been sending daily tweets to Cantor. Told him he was the worst majority leader in history. Told him the American people were sick of his games and wanted the jobs act passed. Told him he was responsible for unemployment and should try doing something for people, rather than against him, for once in his life. Try it. It’s fun.

• 41 nintendowii10
      October 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I love how DWS called Can’tor out for saying that AJA was “DOA.” Seriously, Can’tor is so full of himself, but then again so are most Republicans.

But it looks like there’s finally some defection going on. I read somwhere (Plum Line, TPM, can’t remember where) that Jeff Sessions is ready to give up the shenanigans and go against his party platform to support the AJA. OWS, along with the President calling out McConnell and Can’tor, and with Harry Reid throwing down the gauntlet last night has gotten the heat around the Republicans necks, and they are NOT enjoying it.

October 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love everything DWS says or does. She’s great as both a congresswoman and head of the DNC. And really supports PBO. And is a great human being.

I’d like to invite her for dinner!

14. October 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I just returned from running errands and while changing stations hit upon a hate radio personality named Neil Boortz (sp). Anyway he was discussing an OWS sign with an upright fist saying it ‘s a well-known communist symbol and that’s where “Obama is leading us”. Then he had a 24 yr. male caller who said these people are lazy and didn’t study the right subjects like Finance or Engineering….that was all I could take; I’m just too squeamish.

• 44 nintendowii10
      October 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I read on MediaMatters that Boortz said that “Barack Obama is a bigger disaster to this country than 9-11.” So what he is essentially saying is that Barack Obama is more dangerous than Al Qaeda, the terrorist organization that masterminded the attacks which killed 3000+ Americans.

These OWS protests have got the hatemongers running scared. The righty talking heads keep attempting to throw labels at OWS, but nothing is sticking.

• October 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I live in GA, and Boortz is a nut. He says mess to boost his ratings, and I think he takes pride in the number of people he can get to carry water for him and his crackpot ideas. I hope he knows that PBO killed Osama, and according to ABC, PBO has killed/captured 22 other terrorists in less than 3 years. Yep, the hate mongers are running scared. Fox, Beck, Limbaugh, and others are having conniption fits because the OWS protest in NYC is larger than any of the first tea party protests. The only way large groups of tea partiers could be corralled was by having Fox promote them and the corporatists fund them. When the corporatists couldn’t stop HCR from being passed, they stopped providing buses to different places, and once all the shouting stopped, the majority of Americans decided that they don’t like tea partiers very much.

15. 46 Fred
    October 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm

BAM!

WH Spox: Occupy Wall Street An ‘Expression Of Democracy’

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney on Friday responded to Eric Cantor’s uneasiness with the anti-Wall Street protests, saying “I sense a little hypocrisy unbound here.”

“What we’re seeing on the street of (New York) is an expression of democracy,” Carney said. …“I can’t understand how one man’s mob is another man’s democracy.”

go Jay!

16. 53 theo67
    October 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I heard Randi Rhodes say two days ago that Eric Cantor is vying for the Vice Presidential nominee, to bring in the tea party votes. His chief of staff left his position to go and start a SuperPAC, aimed at raising significant money. That would make him attractive to the Presidential nominee, and his tea party advocacy of late would seal the deal.

I can’t think of a more horrific thought than Eric Cantor as VP – even palin would be less dangerous. He may even be more dangerous than Cheney, who was simply out for power and money. Eric Cantor is destructive, globally. And his alliance with Netanyahu would most certainly bring about World War III – I have absolutely no doubt.

But… on the other hand, can you imagine little Eric Cantor debating Vice President Joe Biden? Joe would wipe the floor with him, after thoroughly spanking his bottom and showing him he doesn’t have what it takes to sit at the big people’s table. It might be worth seeing that to let him get that close – if I had more trust in the broader American electorate.

• October 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Well that would sure get the ground troops activated. Two of the smarmiest white males on the planet; bought and paid for by koch money. Wow.

17. 55 Ladyhawke
    October 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

What You Can Do For Your Country: ‘Occupy Together’

==========================================

Eight of the last nine recessions have been under Republican presidents.

Democratic presidents create 2 times as many jobs per year as Republican presidents. Republican presidents’ deficits are 3 times higher than Democrats’ and 2 times higher as a percent of GDP. The economy grows 41% faster under Democratic presidents and businesses invest 3 times as much under Democratic presidents. Those are revealing statistics.

• 56 Obama Grandmama
      October 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I saw something like a graph or article earlier using Congress in the mix instead of just the President’s party. I didn’t copy or bookmark it. I would like to have both proofs to quote as the normal comeback from the Repubs is that is because the Congress was GOP. In what I saw earlier that was countered. It is hard to be a senior and keep all of these proofs and reference points in your head to bring out when needed. Heck I am even forgetting the names of past best friends now. Chuckle chuckle.

18. 57 Bill
    October 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Romney has given a “major foreign poliocy” speech today saying that President Obama does not want the US to be the strongest nation in the world. He could not get much lower or ridiculous.

• 58 theo67
      October 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm

If they were serious about serving this country, even if they have a different way of doing it, then they wouldn’t need to waste our time and their own giving these silly, lie-filled speeches, full of personal attacks. The only people who believe that crap are the ones who are blinded by their hatred of President Obama or hatred of minorities or hatred of Democrats, in general. Any thinking person who has seen the President in the past ten years, or listened to any of his speeches, will know this to be a blatant and hateful lie.

There’s no need for Republicans to lie if they really think they have better ideas and if they believe they can win on the strength of those ideas, or if they believe that America believes in their ideas. They lie because they have to.

• 59 utaustinliberal
      October 7, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Romney is criticizing President Obama’s foreign policy credentials? Romney is criticizing President Obama’s foreign policy credentials????!!!!!! Are you f*cking kidding me? Romney is a world class joke. :roll:

19. October 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Hi all
    Just listened on NPR to Jane Mayer talking about the takeover of NC by Art Pope a minion of the Kochs. if you live here and even if you don its a must read.

What can we do to stop them?
    Im about to join “occupy Charlotte” because if we really rise up maybe we can defeat such evil.

20. October 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm

The American dream Movement has a website where you can send a message to the Occupy WS folks.

I sent them a note of support and also encouraged them to support the American Jobs Act. As the movement spreads to smaller cities we all have an opportunity to leverage the movement to support the President’s agenda.

For example – Santa Rosa will have an OSR event on Oct 15th. The American Dream Movement will be bringing flyers that have the print out for what the American Jobs Act will do for California on one side, and the Contract for the American Dream on the other. We will have signs that say “Jobs Not Cuts” and “Pass the Bill” and American Jobs Act.

When we get involved we can make a difference

I encourage you to visit this site, not only to post a message but to read the comments of others, I have not run into much Obama bashing in the comments. As Jay Carney said – this is an expression of democracy.

21. 63 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Don’t you just love this avitar?

22. 64 busbus
    October 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm

After only looking at the first video, I was so enraged that I had to immediately email Mr. Cantor. I told him about his unpatriotic self and that of his cohorts: Mr. Boehner, Mr. McConnell, his Tea Party members, his financial backers, the Koch brothers and his judicial strong arm, the U.S. 5 Supreme Court justices. I told him that he and they were a disgrace to the image of America and to Americans, as a whole. I let him know that he had some nerve to call his Tea Party protesters patriotic Americans while calling the Occupy Wall Street protesters a mob!

After my rant to Mr. Cantor, I returned to this site and watched the second video and read the comments, The second video supported my charges to him and your comments were in sync with my rants to him. I am so glad that many of you are thinking as I am.

Eric Cantor vying for the vice president position? PLEASE!!!

23. October 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

When they are marching for their rights and livelihoods, they are mobs. When they are carrying around guns and engaging in mass anarchy, they are patriots. God Bless America.

24. 66 Bobfr
    October 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Hi Chipsticks,

This is important for many reasons:

“Ohio State University’s Randolph Roth, author of the magisterial 2009 volume American Homicide, is so convinced Obama’s election has fundamentally improved black people’s outlooks, in spite of what may be their actual circumstances, he published an essay last year explaining the crime drop with the title “It’s No Mystery.””

H/T BooMan – http://networkedblogs.com/o8OHw

#YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

25. 67 Fred
    October 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm

are we gonna be able to see the Bears on livestream?

26. 68 COS
    October 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Eat your heart out republicans. FLOTUS is so cool.

27. October 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm

7 Oct 2011 12:38 PM
    Mitt “14 Percent Tax Rate” Romney

Huckabee’s dig at Romney as the man who laid you off has stuck. As Michael Scherer points out, the Buffet tax would definitely apply to Mitt:

Romney, a wealthy man whose income mostly comes from long-term investments, is exactly the sort of “millionaire and billionaire” that Obama likes to hold up for scrutiny, since the source of Romney’s income allows him to pay a lower percentage of his money to the federal government each year than many middle-class wage earners.

Romney is estimated to have paid 14% of his gross income in taxes in 2010, a lot less than the 35% rate that many Americans pay. Greg Sargent thinks it’s one of Romney’s unexplored vulnerabilities. Evan McMorris-Santoro doesn’t see the issue going away:

Romney has been attacked over his wealth (and the way he made it) in the past. This time around, Romney’s still playing up his business credentials, but also casting himself as “unemployed” and a member of the middle class. He’s also hopped on the class warfare train as progressive protests on Wall Street and other places have spooled up. … And the estimated 14% tax rate Romney paid last year makes him perhaps the perfect foil for Obama’s populist push.

28. 70 QuietObserver
    October 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm

A lot can be said about the OWS movement, and I am still skeptical myself (especially since so many of the usual PL suspects are now trying to become the face of the movement) but one thing is for sure: the media and the repubs are scared of this. They’re scared because, unlike the Tea Party, they didn’t create it. This is not a top-down, astroturfing outfit meant to rile up the public against the president and prevent widespread support of economic equality- all while pretending to be about government reform. This is a truly grassroots effort that is spreading fast. And yes, the potential for propaganda and infiltration is high, which is why I’m standing back and observing it closely, but as of right now, this is a real people-driven movement. Not a corporate movement that uses angry people as its puppets.

29. October 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm

WHY THE RIGHT WING IS SUDDENLY SCARED OF OCCUPY WALL STREET

It has been an article of faith in this country that Americans are NOT class conscious; that Americans fall into those who are rich and those who INTEND to get rich. It is also the reason that American 1%ers smirk at Europeans and their class consciousness.

So what is happening is very unsettling to the powerful Kochsuckers especially considering the designs they have on America should they win power. Now they cannot count on a docile American populace anymore. That is the fear in Cantor’s voice. The insults he is raining actually camouflage anxiety that he and his cronies now nurse.

So keep talking, Cantor, you will soon smell the pepper (as we say in my language).

• October 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm

i think too that among some of the OWS are some defectors/infiltrators from the teapots. We should be mindful of this because they are some sneaky bastards. Watch for signs and verbal outbursts that don’t fit the ongoing activities.

30. 74 Left-Indie
    October 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

ZIZI makes points, but I don’t even think it is that complicated. They were able to harness the power of know-nothing mob to ride in to power, not just in congress but across many state seats, and the prospect of the very same thing happening on the other side is what is scary to them. Not grand philosophies or any such. It’s about power. But they can rest assured that the Dems will not know how to harness this sort of thing, that what is left of the liberal media would not embrace promote it like FOX did, that they would not know how to coordinated this movement to win not just for themselves, but for the country.

• October 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Not sure what your swipe at Democrats is for. I said nothing about Democrats harnessing the energy of OWS for power/electoral gain. I am talking about REpugs’ complacency about the American character being unsettled by OWS. Whether they lose or retain power, this movement tells them that they can no longer count on a docile electorate to shove the Paul Ryan Medicare dismantling shit down anybody’s throat. It also means they’ll pause before trumpeting Perry’s SS Ponzi nonsense.

OWS rattles their worldview hence their missteps to discredit it. Had they been smart, they’d keep quiet. Now they’ve made themselves a veritable target, turning an inchoate omnidirectional anger into a vectorized partisan conflict.

31. 76 VaCat
    October 7, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Cantor is a mobster. He needs to be voted out.