Oct

say hello to mark & denise

Can you pass on a great, big heartfelt “Thank you” to Pres Obama from me and my wife please? You see, it’s our daughters’ book he’s signing in that picture! She actually spoke up and asked if he could sign it, and he was nice enough to oblige :0)

We bought the book a year or two ago to inspire two young daughters of our own, and we quickly took it to her class when told he’d be visiting the school. Yes, we entertained the idea of him signing it, and thought “wouldn’t it be nice!”, but knew it was a long-shot. We especially never thought our little one would take the initiative like she did and ask him in front of everyone haha! So, anyway, we were thrilled and over the moon when everyone told us the news and especially how it came about with a little voice asking at the right time, in a big way.

Everyone was so thrilled as they talked about how gracious President Obama was, and we are still on cloud 9 ourselves after seeing pictures of him interacting with our daughter and her classmates/teachers! It’s an experience our family will never forget, and we plan to have those pictures in that signed book for a long time to come!

Thank you for such a wonderful experience President Obama! We know our daughter will cherish the memory of it the rest of her life.

~ Mark and Denise Rodriguez

President Obama tours the Children’s Laboratory School at Eastfield College, Mesquite, Texas, October 4

42 Responses to “say hello to mark & denise”

1. October 8, 2011 at 7:23 am

What a lovely story. And adorable cute kids.

2. October 8, 2011 at 7:31 am

President Obama is just one of a kind!! He really knows how to make each and everyone he speaks with feel special, especially children. I just love that man!! What a beautiful story, so typical of Barack Obama.

3. October 8, 2011 at 9:31 am

The President shows the country and the world a positive image of a strong Black man.

October 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Or any other man! He’s number one, in my book.

• 6 Puddin'
        October 8, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I co-sign Sonjia because for so long, too long the image of the Black man in American for the most part has not been positive. It is important to MOST Black folks that only is this (PBO’s presidency) is yet another opportunity for this country to see and embrace a positive strong image of a Black man, but also the world, young Black boys and girls. Yes, President Barack Hussein Obama belong to all of us (that is after First Lady Michelle Obama and the girls), but….

4. October 8, 2011 at 9:32 am

Chipsticks, isn’t it wonderful that people come to your site to check for photos of themselves or their family members. It is a true testament to the great work you have done to make this a wonderful site for the support of our President and the support for his citizens.

I still believe in my heart of hearts he knows about us and if he doesn’t Donna will let him know because I have a gut feeling she won the contest.

• October 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Interestingly enough, Michele, while reading the write up I was thinking ‘I wonder how people always know that they can come to Chips’ place to connect?’ . It suggests to me that Ms Chipsticks has a good reputation for being welcoming out there in net-land! Keep up the good work, Ms Chips!

Happy Saturday, Everyone! I’m supposed to be getting ready for tomorrow’s Thanksgiving dinner, but figured I can get away with a little procrastinating. The good thing is I’m not hosting, and only having to prepare two dishes means I can make time to be on line. ;)

• 9 theo67
        October 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Have a lovely Thanksgiving, VC! How wonderful not to have to host the whole dinner – good thinking. :)

October 8, 2011 at 9:33 am

Thanks for sharing this with us, Mark & Denise! Your daughter is adorable and we’re glad she was able to have this wonderful and unique experience with our President :)

• 11 Cathy from MN
      October 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

Couldn’t say it better; thanks Mark and Denise! Hope others see the way the President truly cares about the future of our youth (ALL of our youth).

6. October 8, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thanks for sharing Mark and Denise. Wow, what a great experience for you all.

7. 13 anameti
    October 8, 2011 at 10:17 am

I am glad for your daughter, she certainly has a story to tell her children & grandchildren when she grows up and pictures to prove it.

8. 14 VotingPoet
    October 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

I just love hearing your story. Thanks, J

9. October 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

Goose bumps! What a great story. Thank you Mark and Denise for sharing it with us. We just can’t get enough feel good stories about our President and families.

10. October 8, 2011 at 11:01 am

Lovely, lovely. Glad to meet you Mark and Denise. Sure does a heart good to quietly hang out here at TOD with Chipsticks and family. Wishing you all a glorious weekend. Btw for the first time since coming to this blog, I can actually see what I’m typing. Yippee!

11. October 8, 2011 at 11:32 am

Good Morning Chips, TOD & Welcome to Mark & Denise… One voice CAN change a room, good on your daughter for being that voice.. and thank you for sharing your story of her with us. I love the video w/ POTUS talking to the kids and showing the “BO” Book, it so clearly shows his easy outgoing ways with children.
    We are a lucky nation.

12. 20 Debz
    October 8, 2011 at 11:59 am

Thank you Mark and Denise for sharing your story. What a wonderful memory for your daughter!! :-)

13. October 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story, Mark and Denise. You have a beautiful daughter. She was sooo brave for speaking up and asking PBO to sign her book! This made my day!!!

14. 24 Pamela
    October 8, 2011 at 12:30 pm

What a wise beyond her years little girl you have, Mark & Denise! We are all as proud of her as you must be, and we all see in the faces of these children the Light of the Future! They know heart when they see it, feel its presence, and they reposed accordingly! How wonderful to have read this story on the morning of a busy day! I carry the peace it brings with me all throughout the hours!

October 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Hello Mark and Denise, thanks for telling us about your daughter’s wonderful interaction with President Obama. I’m glad she had the courage to speak up and ask the President to sign her book. What wonderful parents you must be for her to love reading and to take her book about Bo to meet our wonderful President. Hope you all have a wonderful, joyful, and successful life. Hope you visit again soon.

• October 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Oh! Oh, UTALib! It’s uncanny sometimes how family members here generate similar ideas. Look at my comment below written around the same time as yours. We hang out together too much, I guess. ;) Happy Saturday!

16. October 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm

We love welcoming new faces to the Obama Diary – Welcome, Mark & Denise! :lol: :lol: You must be so proud of your daughter for speaking up and asking for what she desired. When little kids arrive, parents tend to be ‘forgotten’ because the kids garner all the attention, but I want to congratulate you both for a fine job fostering your daughter’s self-confidence. Also, thank you for making her aware of the humanity and importance of her President. Had she been from a home where the President was demonized and constantly criticized, she probably wouldn’t have wanted his signature in HER book. May she continue to grow in confidence and inner beauty. Keep up the good work!

• October 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Kids are really wonderful. They know how to connect with people. They can really work a room, no matter who is in it. Even little babies can do it. They will look around a room and into someone’s face. If that person smiles in return, they will smile back. If not, the baby will give them that “Excuse you” look. Then look around for another face.

It’s a real shame that that some day turn into adults, LOL. Children are really precious!!!

17. 29 lmrj
    October 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hi Mark and Denise! What a smart and outgoing daughter you’re raising. A testament to the way you’re raising her as much as it is to her personality. By speaking up and asking PBO to sign her book, I see a future leader who’s willing to speak up for herself and others (she spoke up for the two of you as well). How great is that!

18. 30 HZ
    October 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hello Mark and Denise. What a beautiful and very touching story to share with our TOD family. Hope you both will join us here. We love that we are making a wonderful difference in the lives of our young children by supporting President Obama and our First Lady in what they believe is so possible for all of these beautiful young minds.

I love the fact that your lovely daughter had the courage to take a bold stand and trust that she could get the attention of the President of the United States to listen to her with her request. That shows that you both have given her the support at home of knowing who she is and can be in this world. I love her spirit and courage.

I also love so see children reading their books. I love books. In fact, I will spend my last pennies to find a way to get a book(s) to read. And most of all, I love to hear and know of parents who are purchasing good books for their young ones to read. Then to have the POTUS to sign her book, oh what a joy!! May she enjoy and cherish that book for many, many generations to come.

Most of all make she realize as she continues to grow, that reading excellent books are the keys to open up so much of her world to come. Thanks for modeling that before her in her young life. What proud parents you must be, and most of all we here at TOD are so proud to know that what we are fighting for with this great President is so worthwhile for the future of those like your beautiful young daughter.

Please come and visit with us anytime. Chipsticks has made this a wonderful haven for us to come to and support our President, each other in our efforts to support him with our research, our comments, our getting out and fighting for what is good and right, and doing it all with intellect, goodness of heart, and total respect for each other and our POTUS. Join us, if you so desire. We welcome you. Give you precious daughter a big hug from all of us for her courage. Keep buying those great books and keep her desire to continue to read them. thank you again for sharing.HZ

19. 31 HZ
    October 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Please excuse my mistakes in writing this. I am not feeling well this morning, BUT I will PRESSON and do what I can. Love you all back so very much.HZ

• October 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Please take care of yourself HZ. I hope you will be feeling better soon. Love you!

• 33 HZ
        October 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm

How thoughtful of you Sam UK Obama Supporter. Good to hear from you. I saw your comments a few days ago, and I was so happy to see you here.

I will keep pressing on, Sam. We have so much to get done, and it seems like everyday, something new is popping up, but we will prevail.

I am learning to deal with the pain, but it makes me feel so very uncomfortable. It is so painful that I ball up and just cry out loud for relief. However, I am a strong fighter, Sam. But I find that when I share how I really feel, it seems that someone or more will rally around me, and I feel the spirits of goodness of strength in my friends and family here at TOD.

Then the pain has to flee because I too much to do for our President. But thank you so much. I hope that you are doing fine as well. So good to hear from you. Take care, and know that I love you all very much.HZ

• 34 Sue in Minnesota
          October 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

HZ my heart goes out to you, and my prayers are sent up that you will know relief from your pain. Your indomitable spirit and the beauty of your voice inspire us all. We all LOVE you very, very much.

20. October 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Thank you so much Mark and Denise, for sharing your story with us! I am so proud of your precious future leader and it certainly is a testament to your great parenting. You brightened my day!

21. 36 Regster
    October 8, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Welcome Mark and Denise,

Thank you for sharing that story that will be told and retold countless times and through many generations in your family! What a smart young lady you have and she is certainly blessed, as we all are, to have been able to reach out to the great hope of this country. We must reach out to all of our neighbors and counter the demonization of this kind man who granted your daughter’s wish.

Just think of all the countless politicians who never take the time to make a child’s wish come true! I certainly am happy for all of you and your family and especially your daughter – I’m right there on cloud 9 with you all!!

All the best,

NSW

22. 37 Sue in Minnesota
    October 8, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Thank you Denise and Mark for sharing the human experience behind these beautiful photos. President Obama is a rare human being, a fact that never escapes the innocence and sensibilities of our little people. They know what is real, what is genuine. I hope your little girl forever remembers this experience and treasures it always. Congratulations on inspiring the self confidence in your little gal to ask for what she wants, that is a lovely reflection on you as her parents. And thanks for sharing that experience with us here at TOD.

23. October 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Welcome, Mark & Denise!!!

24. 39 Lightfoot
    October 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Aww, thank you Mr. Prezzy for signing the young little one’s book. And what brave little girl she is.

25. 40 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    October 9, 2011 at 2:34 am

Thank you Mark and Denise for sharing your story. Your delightful little daughter will have this experience with her for the rest of her life and will always have the story to tell of the day she met President Obama and he signed her book. :)

He is always so sweet with children.

26. 41 Sally in MI
    October 9, 2011 at 7:31 am

This man is just lovely. Anyone who can connect with children the way he does is A-OK. Kids cannot be fooled. They know when someone is genuine and a friend to them, and President Obama is both. Funny how he keeps all tis quiet. Gryphen did a wonderful post a month or so ago of the President with kids. Just heart-warming, and yet, we see no self-promotion with this man. He is not perfect, but he does deserve another term. Thank you for this lovely site where we can see the human goodness of this man and his family.

27. 42 Mark Rodriguez
    October 12, 2011 at 1:01 am

Thank you ALL for such wonderful comments; Denise and I were quite surprised to see them. We especially appreciate those who somehow saw our own hopes, teachings, and spirit embodied in our little girl and her “voice”, for she did indeed speak up for us as well!

Your comments have been just as special as everything else about President Obama’s visit, and we think it’s great that there are those who will genuinely cheer and be happy for others when something special and meaningful like this happens to them.

Thanks again, you’ve warmed our hearts! (The only thing is now we have even MORE stuff to add to her scrapbook, haha!)

~ Mark and Denise