Oct

matthew shepard died 13 years ago today

Politicususa: … On October 7th, 1998, Matthew Shepard accepted a ride from Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson … they drove Matthew into the country, tied him to a fence post and beat him severely … they attacked Matthew because he was gay. They left him there in the cold dark, bleeding and unconscious until a cyclist found him, almost 18 hours later. Matthew died from his injuries on October 12th, 1998…

Eleven years after Matthew’s death, President Barack Obama signed into law The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Act … this bill makes it a federal crime to assault people based on their gender, sexual orientation and gender identity … Judy Shepard had visited President Obama in the Oval Office and he had made her a promise that this day would come. By signing The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Act into law, President Obama kept his promise to Matthew’s family.

…. I asked many people to share their memories of Matthew Shepard with me, including Captain Stephen Snyder-Hill … the Army officer who was booed at the Republican debate…

Joshua Snyder-Hill: … A year later I was taken to DC for my first equality event. I was still not out to my family or friends. The one thing I remember most were the people picketing the concert hall cheering Matthew’s death and celebrating it as a victory. I remember all my fear of coming out melted away. I had spent three days in DC seeing nothing but hope and activism until that moment; it was then and there I decided, I had to be part of the fight for equality. Matthew’s death and the energy behind it, made me want to be proud of who I was and show love conquered hate.

Full article here

The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, 2009:

Rest in peace, Matthew Shepard

11 Responses to “matthew shepard died 13 years ago today”

1. 1 Doris
    October 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm

RIP Matthew. We will never forget you.

• 2 COS
      October 12, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Such a young age. Bless his family. I had better say good night. I have to wake up at 6:00 am to see PBO and FLOTUS welcome the South Korean President and his wife.

October 13, 2011 at 12:10 am

Rest in Peace Matthew. May your family be comforted. G’nite everyone until tomorrow.

3. October 13, 2011 at 12:21 am

Rest in peace Matthew…..your presence lives on in millions of us.

4. 7 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    October 13, 2011 at 12:35 am

My heart breaks for his poor mother. Rest in Peace Matthew.

5. 8 Bobfr
    October 13, 2011 at 1:26 am

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    Honoring Mathew Shepard, as we all should. theobamadiary.com/2011/10/12/mat… Honoring President Obama for what he did in 2009. #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

#PRESSON

October 13, 2011 at 5:48 am

Rest in eternal peace you beautiful soul.

7. 11 EDP4BHO
    October 14, 2011 at 1:21 am

We have a wonderful human being in the person named Barack Hussein Obama. Bless the families of Matthew Shepard and James Byrd after the despicable suffering at the hands of those of evil spirit. God sent us a man of good and kind spirit. We should be forever grateful and live each day as he does, meeting our challenges head on. This man has taught me so much about perseverance and long-suffering, and I do strive to be like him, which in turn is so much like Jesus the Christ himself in his carriage.