Oct

coming up

President Obama leaves the White House en route to Asheville, NC to begin his three-day American Jobs Act bus tour

CNN live streaming

More coverage at WLOS

White House live

President Obama arrives to board Air Force One at the Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland en route to Asheville, North Carolina

22 Responses to “coming up”

1. 1 a4alice
    October 17, 2011 at 10:22 am

I LOVE THIS PICTURE CHIPS! OK. I have a question. Can I use this picture on my fundraising page? Will I get thrown in jail for copyright something or other? It’s like he’s waving to us! Weeeeeeee :-)

• October 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

Ha, Alice – if you go to jail for using the photo then I’ll get a life sentence (with no possibility of parole). Those Daylife photos don’t even come with credits, and end up on every second site – so they’d have a big job chasing every one down! But I’d be happy to share a cell with you :-)

2. 4 Ladyhawke
    October 17, 2011 at 10:25 am

FROM: Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi

NEWSPAPERS CALL OUT THE ‘NO JOBS’ GOP

3. 5 a4alice
    October 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hey TODVille Here’s something that seems fun to do. Check it out:

So it’s making a poster for the campaign. they have the slogans you should use, and you can make up to 5. I think it’s a fun thing to do! so i made one last night. and maybe i’ll try to make 4 more maybe not. i’m no artist but i thought it’d be fun. Maybe someone here would think that would be fun too.

4. 6 Sue in Minnesota
    October 17, 2011 at 10:28 am

What a sight for sore eyes. It’s so shallow but he is SO FINE!!!!!!

5. 10 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 17, 2011 at 10:31 am

Looking good, Mr. President!

Checkered button-down shirt? Check.

I hope he gets recharged by all the positive energy he will get today in NC.

• 11 PoliticalJunkessa
      October 17, 2011 at 10:51 am

Looking at the CNN stream. Eagle has landed.

Khaki pants? Check.

Looks like a perfect day, and the people are cheering and grinning. Yay!

6. 13 Ladyhawke
    October 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

There goes our energizer bunny President Obama, he’s such a sweetheart.

7. 14 nintendowii10
    October 17, 2011 at 10:33 am

It’s about time that POTUS played hardball with Orange Boner and the do nothing Teapubs, and about time that the Democrats started playing hardball as well.

The Teapubs NEED to be called out for their obstructionism and for the fact that they care about nothing more than taking Barack Obama out of office.

8. October 17, 2011 at 10:56 am

Good Morning TOD family

I have been away the last few days, mostly because the Occupy Santa Rosa event was held on Saturday. I have an article with pictures you can visit. I also wanted to give you my impressions.

1. We had 3,000 in attendance (that is the police estimate). This was the largest gathering I can remember., an average MoveOn rally draw 200. We are a town of 160,000. We drew from the entire county but by any measure this was HUGE.

2. We had 6 speakers, 3 hispanic, 3 white, union leader, hispanic activist, economics professor from Sonoma State, represetnative from peace and Justice center. All the speeches focused on corporate greed, money in politics, attacks on the middle class. the anger seems to be at Wall Street, not government. The exception is anger against politicians who they feel are corrupt and paid for by special interests. Not one word against PBO during any of the speeches. The college professor suggested the repeal of bush tax cuts, overturn citizens united, full implementation of Wall Street Reform passed last year, all things the President supports.

3. After the speakers we marched by 3 major banks. I was on crowd control so everyone had to walk by me. I looked at all the signs looking for negative ones about PBO. I did not see one.Most of the signs do not mention the president i one way or the other. I did see 2 signs that addressed the presidency – A picture of President Bush with the phrase under it “Thanks for blaming the black guy” and another sign that said, President Obama, listen to us, support Occupy Wall Street, realize we are your base. That was it. I heard 2 young folk talking who seemed mad at the President and said he wouldn’t get a second term. The overwhelming majority of signs discuss wall street, corporations who control elections, lack of jobs, lack of support for education, concern about the environment.

4. The crowd was primarily white, middle class, and about 2/3 middle age or retired and 1/3 young. That last stat is significant since most rallies have almost no young folks. We had a small group of Hispanics, we have almost no African Americans living in the community, a sprinkling of Asians, but primarily whites.

5. The crowd was well behaved, peaceful, a few fringe folks who seemed a bit crazy, but overall a solid group of citizens who you would want to support your causes.

6. About 50 folks stayed to occupy in front of City Hall. They are primarily young, passionate and not very informed about how government works. they are figuring out how to live and work together by holding General Assemblies where they have a fairly formal and respectful set of rules for discussion.

7. One of the reasons we had such a large crowd was they had the support of many major groups within the community, Democratic party, MoveOn, Teachers union, Nurses union, SEIU, AFLCIO. All of these groups appreciate the fact that Occupy has the people’s attention, now we are hoping they will focus that attention to causes we support. Our strategy has been to get to know the leaders, offer our support when needed and then back away. I believe this will be effective.

8. As an example I stopped by yesterday with cupcakes and said call me if you have nay needs. A few hours later they called me and asked my advice on an event they are planning for Tuesday, they will be asking the Santa Rosa City council to pull their $$ out of B of A and Wells fargo and put it in a local bank. I talked to them, went over and talked to their leaders, planned to speak at the GA but had to leave before I could make suggestions. (the GA goes on and on it is a very democratic process but takes a long time) Before the meeting I talked to several folks and endorsed their idea and encouraged them to talk to our “Go Local” leaders. They are planning a Saturday rally and I suggested they ask someone from Go Local to hold a workshop on Local Banking and the go Local program. We will see if they take that suggestion. They also called the President of our Democratic party and he gave them advice on how to present and speak to the City council.

9. My overall impression is the general public is pissed off, they felt great having a way to express it, in my community they are mad at Wall street, corporations and rich people. Now we see how that anger is focused.

Here is the article I posted on my blog, there are quite a few pictures.

Proud To Protest

• 16 a4alice
      October 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

Interesting WIW. I gotta split for a bit. but i’ll read this in its entirety when I get back. Thank you for checking out an occupy event personally. :-)

• 17 PoliticalJunkessa
      October 17, 2011 at 11:26 am

Thanks for that rundown, WIW. Great stuff! Lots of potential in this movement, IMO.

9. October 17, 2011 at 10:56 am

Heads up President is on C-SPAN RIGHT NOW SPEAKING

10. October 17, 2011 at 11:02 am

Damn he’s cute: “The REAL American Jobs Act.. ” Can’t fool him REPUBLICANS.. he laughs at your BS. HA!

11. October 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

Oh dang he is going there.. Listen Up Boehner and your band of fools: He’s done w/ your nonsense.

12. 22 anniebella
    October 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I still have not forgotten about yesterday. What a wonderful day, the MLK Dedication.