Oct

morning

Thinking of Joan ahead of her surgery today. Get well very soon Joan, we want you back here hale and hearty

Link

This would probably be HuffPo’s version of the photo:

People wait in line for tickets to President Barack Obama’s speech on jobs at Asheville Regional Airport. Citizen Times – thank you Jovie

This news is kind of embarrassing for the Firebaggers …. if the President is so kind to Wall Street, why are they not supporting him?

NYT: It is no secret that the relationship between President Obama and Wall Street has chilled. A striking measure of that is the latest campaign finance reports.

Mitt Romney has raised far more money than Mr. Obama this year from the firms that have been among Wall Street’s top sources of donations for the two candidates ….. The imbalance exists at large investment banks and hedge funds, private equity firms and commercial banks ….

…. “There’s no doubt that Governor Romney has raised money off of his belief that Wall Street should be allowed to write its own rules again by repealing Wall Street reform,” said Ben LaBolt, an Obama campaign spokesman. “The president put in place protections to ensure that the financial crisis is not repeated and that unacceptable risks aren’t taken with Americans’ life savings.”

…. But anger at big banks – manifested by the growing Occupy Wall Street protests in New York City and elsewhere – is palpable enough that Mr. Romney must avoid being seen as a friend of an industry that many Americans blame for onerous bank fees and underwater mortgages….

Full article here

Could it possibly be this?

;-)

11:15 Michelle Obama and Jill Biden visit the Rebuilding Together nonprofit organization in Washington

3:30 Michelle Obama hosts a reception on the South Lawn for schools that met her goal to double the number of participants in the Healthier US School Challenge in a year

Many thanks to Ladyhawke for the C-Span link to to yesterday’s ceremony at the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial. All the day’s speeches are included.

114 Responses to “morning”

1. October 17, 2011 at 8:03 am

I so hope Pres Obama’s campaign uses that pic of Romney and his buddies with the money over and over in an ad. Says it all.

• October 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hiya Proud, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of that photo in the campaign …. it makes my skin crawl, the guy summed up in one image.

• October 17, 2011 at 8:07 am

Hey, Chips. He really, really did. It makes my skin crawl to think some people who put our country in Romney’s greedy, cold uncaring hands.

• 4 utaustinliberal
          October 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

The picture is obnoxious. They’re basically tossing money around like it’s trash. Flashing it in peoples faces because they don’t seem to understand its value. I guess that’s what “middleclass” means to Romney and his ilk. Disgusting.

October 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

Despite the emoprogs’ constant yapping about PBO being a “corporatist and “puppet of Wall Street” you would NEVER find a photo like this featuring our President in disgusting displays of accumulated wealth. That’s why I’m curious to see how this OWS movement treats Romney. I’m watching them very closely. And according to an article posted downthread, Romney has received ~62% of his donations from Wall Street. Let’s see Rotigan et al go after Romney…or will they continue to blur and confuse and lead people to think that there is no distinction?

• 6 Debz
        October 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

CHIPS, Your donate link has personal information on it!!!!!!!!

• October 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hiya Debz, it’s very strange! That’s the link I got in the OFA email today – it’s happened lots of times before, where a name has come up in their link. I emailed them about it but heard nothing back, so I don’t know if they just put in a sample name to show people what they’re meant to do?? Any way, it’s not me – phew!

• October 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

Praying for Joan as well. May she come through the surgery with flying colors and heal quickly.

• 9 prettyfoot58
        October 17, 2011 at 9:19 am

Praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery….

• 11 lexusv
        October 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

Sending up prayers for a successful surgery and the angels of good health to visit and lay upon Joan and bless her with a healthy and quick recovery.

• 12 anameti
        October 17, 2011 at 10:36 am

I pray for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for Joan.
        May God also protect and guide president Obama as he embarks on the AJA promo trip.

2. 13 Ladyhawke
    October 17, 2011 at 8:06 am

CSPAN – Martin Luther King Memorial Dedication

=====================================

At the dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial, participants spoke about the legacy of Reverend King and the civil rights movement.

Speakers included President Obama, Christine King Farris, Martin Luther King III, Bernice King, Julian Bond, Reverend Joseph Lowery, Congressman John Lewis, Marian Wright Edelman, Ambassador Andrew Young, Reverend Jesse Jackson, Reverend Al Sharpton, Dan Rather, and Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, and Gwen Ifill.

3 hours, 46 minutes

3. October 17, 2011 at 8:09 am

Good morning everyone!! It’s been a while, but I am glad to be back. Although I have not commented for a while, I have been lurking and checking out the barrage of news stories. Never had the time to read all of it or the comments, but it is refreshing to see that we are holding strong our resolve for president Obama.

It has been a hard couple of weeks for me losing my mom. I traveled to Maryland to bury her on this past Saturday. She was, as I mentioned before, my best friend. I am having a difficult time dealing with her gone, but I pray for peace and solace everyday.

Joan, you are in my deepest prayers.

Donna Dem — CONGRATULATIONS!! No one deserves this more than you!!

Chips, thanks for all you do.

I am off to work and will check in tonight.

God Bless!!

• October 17, 2011 at 8:12 am

Lovely to hear from you Africa, you’ve had such a tough few weeks, my heart goes out to your over the loss of your mother. Take care of yourself, see you soon.

• October 17, 2011 at 8:15 am

Africa,

My prayers to you on the loss of your mom. My own mother passed away many years ago, but like you said about yours, she was my best friend. I know the loss is great. But she will always be with you.

• 18 Jennifer
          October 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

Africa, proudofobama is so right. I lost mine 31 years ago and the pain, while still there, does subside and then I think of all the wonderful times we did have together. I can still hear her voice. We sure do welcome you back – a few weeks without a witty comment from you is truly like a week without sunshine. Hugs to you and your family.

October 17, 2011 at 8:53 am

Thinking of you, africa.It will get better…I promise.

• 20 TrumpDog
      October 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hugs to you, africa.

• 21 prettyfoot58
      October 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

May you be blessed, Africa….adding my prayers to your prayer, that the Creator grants you peace and solace…know that there is power in prayer…

• 22 utaustinliberal
      October 17, 2011 at 9:27 am

Hey Africa, thanks for checking in. Have a fruitful day at work and know that the TOD family is sending you and yours warm, positive thoughts.

October 17, 2011 at 9:42 am

Welcome back africa, and I send you warm thoughts of comfort and healing at this difficult time.

• 24 donna dem 4 obama
      October 17, 2011 at 9:44 am

Oh sweet heart you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so happy to see you post today. Take care and have a great day!

• 25 PoliticalJunkessa
      October 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

(((((africa)))))

(((((Joan)))))

• 26 lexusv
      October 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

My sincere condolences on the loss of your mother, Hold on to God’s unchanging hand and you will find comfort and understanding during this time of loss.

• 28 Sue in Minnesota
      October 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

Africa, so good to hear from you. My heart goes out to you for your loss. I also lost my Mother this summer, she was also my best friend and my greatest supporter so I understand the pain of such an enormous loss. Somedays are more difficult than others and the tears simply will not abate but despite my grief I also have a knowing that she is in a better place, and that she will always be alive in my heart.
      Time and patience will surely heal the pain. I hope and pray that you are comforted by your loving thoughts and memories and that with time your heart will heal.

• 29 louc1
      October 17, 2011 at 10:26 am

Africa, mothers can never be replaced but I know for sure memories can be so strong and sweet of them that we are constantly comforted in that. Praying your peace !

• 30 anameti
      October 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your mother. May God console and comfort you during your grief

4. October 17, 2011 at 8:12 am

Roll Call is reporting that Jim DeMint is likely to back Romney over Cain or Perry, the Tea Party darlings. So DeMint being a tea party senator is just a sham just like everything else about Republicans.

5. October 17, 2011 at 8:16 am

Confronted with a President who has killed Osama bin Laden and an almost comically long list of his deputies and associates–being al Qaeda’s military commander is like being the Spinal Tap drummer–the Republican presidential candidates have struggled to attack Obama’s national security policies. They went after his Libya intervention, then piped down after the fall of Gaddafi and the absence of an Islamist government in his place. Obama was supposedly enabling a Muslim Brotherhood takeover in Egypt until it turned out that he was in effect backing a status quo military dictatorship. Few on the right are complaining about his detention and interrogation policies, not even after Obama officials Mirandized a suspected Iranian-backed terrorist on U.S. soil this week.

6. 38 halo
    October 17, 2011 at 8:20 am

Joan, good luck on your surgery today!

Great Post, Chipsticks. Just one request: I don’t know if it’s just me, but my computer slows down a whole lot when on the TOD home page. I think it has to do with the number of pictures and video (which is a good thing!). If other people have that problem too, do you think it would be possible to lessen the number of blog posts per page? Obviously don’t stop what you’re doing because it’s great, but just have the posts move over to page 2 after a couple of picture heavy posts?

• October 17, 2011 at 8:27 am

Hiya Halo, that’s a great idea, I should have thought of it before – I’m off to settings to reduce the number of posts per page! HUGE thanks for the suggestion ;-)

Update – okay, I’ve halved the number of posts on the page to 10. Is that any better for you Halo? Should I reduce it by more?

• 40 halo
        October 17, 2011 at 8:32 am

Sure! Thanks for all your hard work! Can’t wait to hear from Donna Dem and her phone call.

• 41 halo
        October 17, 2011 at 8:35 am

Wow, that’s a whole lot better! You’re the best. Obviously, if you feel like people aren’t clicking over to the next page to get information or important stuff is being pushed back, please don’t hesitate to increase it. The site is so important to highlight the truth!

• October 17, 2011 at 8:45 am

That’s great Halo, delighted it’s better! I’m hoping to get around to working on a better categories/navigation system for the site to make it easier to find things, so it’ll make it less important to have stuff on the front page. Thanks again Halo.

• October 17, 2011 at 8:41 am

Thanks Chips. I was also about to suggest the same as halo. It should make a difference in loading the website.

That mittens and his minions i so vulgar. Wake the fuck up, america.

October 17, 2011 at 8:55 am

Me, too:) It’s because this laptop I use is a relic…like a classic car, only SLOWER! Thanks Chips:)

7. October 17, 2011 at 8:24 am

Nothing about yesterday,- on the morning cable jackals!
    Might as well
    Happened 100 years ago.
    Sadly.

8. October 17, 2011 at 8:49 am

Via BJ, the money race for 2012

PBO beats the collective total of all the rethug candidates.

9. 52 Ladyhawke
    October 17, 2011 at 8:51 am

Angry Black Lady

=============

MLK Memorial Dedication (Photos and Video)

“As tough as times will be, I know we will overcome. I know there are better days ahead. I know this because of the man who towers over us.” – President Barack Obama

10. 53 CEB
    October 17, 2011 at 8:53 am

Good morning everyone
    Playing semi-hookey today (papers to grade even when I take the day off).
    Just wanted to say again how wonderful the celebration/dedication on the mall was yesterday, as well as sharing the day with all of you. I usually try not to make negative comments, but we are family here so hear goes: The contrast this event with the Clinton bash was so telling and revealing of the differences between PBO and WJC. Over at Yahoo news and other outlets, there is still a lot of coverage of Clinton’s event, most of it gushing over the celebrities and his response to Lady Gaga and other silliness. It was less about any good the foundation has done and more about Clinton as a celebrity (complete with his signature emotional responses). On the other hand, you have PBO and a multi-hued audience celbrating our past and reaffirming our need to complete the work to make our union more perfect. The emotions of those involved (the welling of tears that PBO could barely restrain, his closed eyes and unconscious soul-rocking as Aretha sang) were not about themselves or any self-aggrandizement, but for what we had gone though and are still going through as a nation. Many of us felt proud and uplifted because it was an “us and we” moment, not an “I and me” one. The media and still too many of our citizens, prefer dross to gold.
    OK, that’s over. Everyone have a great day. Joan, best wishes and prayers.

11. 54 CEB
    October 17, 2011 at 8:55 am

Oops!

Should read “here goes”

October 17, 2011 at 8:57 am

Best wishes today, Joan. You are in my thoughts and I wish you a speedy recovery!

13. 56 dotster3
    October 17, 2011 at 9:00 am

The Today Show still causing trouble, asking Hillary about some Dems still wishing she were president. She again dismissed it, saying those rumblings are “irrelevant”, but that doesn’t stop them from continuing to try to cause controversy. And she again closed the door on any future runs for office.
    And the AP writer—-another Julie (Mason)—-on Obama’s bus tour—seemed all indignant that the states where he’s going are important to his re-election. Imagine! The audacity!
    And then after stating that Congress’ obstruction of the AJA is forcing Obama to pass the bill piece by piece, there was this: “Despite Obama’s call for urgency, it appears the lawmakers may not take up individual components of the bill until November, at the earliest. The Senate is set to debate appropriations bills this week, and LAWMAKERS HAVE A SCHEDULED VACATION AT THE END OF THIS MONTH”. (CAPS MINE) Another vacation??? No wonder people are so disgusted. Maddening to the max.

In brighter news, those photos of all those people standing in the sun all day yesterday to get tickets for Obama’s event in Asheville today—–so encouraging, inspiring—-and hopeful. No matter what the media tries to spin, the people are willing to go the extra mile for Obama. We see the proof over and over and over.

• 57 dotster3
      October 17, 2011 at 9:03 am

AP writer is Julie Pace. The other Julie is GOPolitico’s Julie Mason, who needs therapy for her obsession with skin tone.

• 58 TrumpDog
        October 17, 2011 at 9:28 am

I get the impression that she sobadly wants it to be true that Black people hate Obama and no longer support him.
        :roll:

• 59 prettyfoot58
      October 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

Maybe we should be asking Congress to cancel their vacation…till the jobs bill is passed….

14. October 17, 2011 at 9:09 am

prayers to you Joan

15. 61 meabloom
    October 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

I already see you are on a roll this a.m. Chips. Those HuffHo photos gave me a giggle.
    Looking forward to hearing PBO’s speech today.
    Sent up a prayer for Joan. Archangel Raquel is with you.

Obama/Biden2012

October 17, 2011 at 9:16 am

Opps, proud…didn’t see that you had posted this:) Good news is good news! Wonder if the MSM will even mention this??

• October 17, 2011 at 9:18 am

Yep, good news is good news. Of course, the msm won’t mention it. Just like they didn’t mention the MLK dedication this morning. Haters.

• 65 TrumpDog
        October 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

Wonder if the MSM will even mention this??

LOL! That’s a joke right? Of course they won’t. Not unless the GOP feeds them the talking point spinning it as bad news. Otherwise – crickets.

What pisses me off is even “liberal” news sites don’t reports good news for Democrats or Obama. TPM will have blaring headlines when Obama’s poll numbers drop a point. But when they go up, it’s either buried at the top of the page or not mentioned at all.

• October 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

That’s great news. The cw is that any unemployment rate over 9% is teh bad for obama.

16. 67 MoObama
    October 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

Do you think we can have a TOD meet up at the convention? When can we start buying tickets?

17. 72 Sue in Minnesota
    October 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

Joan, you are in my thoughts and my prayers that your surgery is successful, without complications or adverse side effects. We are with you…and look forward to your return when you are up and able. God Bless.

18. 73 CTGirl
    October 17, 2011 at 9:26 am

I am praying for you Joan! I look forward to your speedy return.

19. October 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

The friggin’ obama lovin’ librul media

One man running for president has suffered the most unrelentingly negative treatment of all: Barack Obama. Though covered largely as president rather than a candidate, negative assessments of Obama have outweighed positive by a ratio of almost 4-to-1. The assessments of the president in the media were substantially more negative than positive in every one of the 23 weeks studied. In no week during these five months was more than 10% of the coverage about the President positive in tone.

October 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

WOW…confirming what we’ve been saying all along. I’m going to tweet.

Thanks amk!!

• 80 TrumpDog
      October 17, 2011 at 9:42 am

Yep. Just as we have been saying all along

And yet the man presses on. I am so proud of him.

• 81 donna dem 4 obama
      October 17, 2011 at 9:51 am

Please, Please tweet this to everyone of those lazy, sloppy stenographers in the so-called media.

• 82 Ladyhawke
      October 17, 2011 at 9:59 am

VIDEO: Bill Daley Talks to CNBC About Ed Henry Exchange

Daley did not back away from Obama’s comments that Henry was “the spokesman for Mitt Romney,” telling Harwood, “There are certain people in the media who do seem, at times, to carry the water for certain pieces of the political spectrum.” Watch, beginning at the 1:20 mark, below:

• 83 ChristiMtl
      October 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

It’s infuriating but NOT surprising isn’t it?

Thanks for the info amk for obama.

I just saw something on twitter earlier,

The Foxification Of CNN: New Management Pushes The Network Into Crazy Territory

The past year, however, CNN has been attempting to fashion a more recognizable persona. The shift coincides with the promotion of Ken Jautz, formerly the president of CNN’s sister network, HLN. At HLN Jautz successed in raising both ratings and revenue by turning the channel into a trashy TV tabloid reliant on celebrity gossip and characters like Nancy Grace and Glenn Beck (yes, Jautz gave Beck his first job on television).

So CNN is now employing Fox News rejects, Andrew Breitbart lieutenants, and Glenn Beck associates. They’ve entered into covenants with unscrupulous Tea Partyers. On the flip side, former CNN reporters Ed Henry and John Roberts are now comfortably ensconced at Fox News. The lines between CNN and Fox News are blurring to the point where the networks are becoming indistinguishable. And most of this occurred since Ken Jautz assumed the helm of CNN.

I don’t watch CNN but I did watch their Tparty debate, it was a joke, embarrassing.

• October 17, 2011 at 10:12 am

And msnbc has mccains campaign mgr as a full time political biased consultant.
        They put these folks in Madcow show, to introduce them to the liberals. Another one Madcow had on, Michael Steele.
        The msm is systematically getting ready for the campaign, by putting in wall street people.
        The SS would be impressed!

• 85 Ladyhawke
      October 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

I just sent the link to Steve Benen asking him to do a post about this report. Hopefully, someone will tweet this to Dan Pfeiffer too.

20. 87 TrumpDog
    October 17, 2011 at 9:37 am

Sending good thoughts to you, Joan :-)

21. 89 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    October 17, 2011 at 9:40 am

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE LOVE THIS PRESIDENT! TRY AS THEY MAY, THESE PESSIMISTIC,GREEDY AND MANY OF THEM RACIST REPUBLICANS ARE NOT GOING TO WIN AND THEY WILL MEET WITH THEIR OWN ‘WATERLOO!’

22. 90 anniebella
    October 17, 2011 at 9:42 am

I visit Huff Puff, and alot of the comments were anti-Obama, these people were talking about how Obama is no MLK, or if MLK were alive he would be disappointed in Obama. So of course I had to let them know, that I have not heard one person trying to compare Barack Obama to Martin L. King, they are the only ones who is talking that way. And I asked them how the hell do they know that MLK would be disappointed in President Obama, if anything he would be disappointed in all the B.S. that the Republicans have been playing. He would be disappointed in how the Republcans fight for the rich, but don’t give a dam about the middle class and poor. And finally I said alot of you people who are talking about MLK probably don’t know a darn thing about what he believe in, and truth be told, could care less about MLK.

October 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

Senator Kay Hagan tweets:

// On my way to @flyavlnow to greet President Obama in #Asheville. Looking forward to hearing him speak on jobs–my No.1 priority #avlobama//

Wasn’t she one of the initial hold outs who had to be coaxed by the people to vote yes? Anyway I’m glad she eventually came around and now seems to be on board.

October 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

hopefruit2, Yes she was. And I can’t count the number of emails I sent her office, and call her office, I even wrote her. I am going to continue stay in touch with her.

24. October 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oh darn sorry, Chips, forgot to sign in. so will just re-write :) Happy Monday to everyone.. thanks for that link amk.. we knew the media was full of BS.. but only 10% positive is amazing even to me, and I detest all the media for their lying bs.

Best wishes to Joan- will be sending out positive thoughts to you from 2pm forward :)

25. 96 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 17, 2011 at 9:49 am

I remember PBO visited Asheville last year, I believe. It’s like a little liberal hamlet in NC — they love him there. Should be great footage from there today.

Have a great day, everyone! :-P

26. October 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

Good morning, TODville. Special thoughts and prayers to Joan. Stay grounded and calm; we are with you in highest healing today.
    Africa! So great to see you here. Sending you very best wishes for a deep healing. Take great comfort in such a wonderful legacy your mother left you.

I just discovered our Nancy Pelosi has a whole page of useful graphs, just in case you need to pound back the lies and smears!

Go for it!!

27. October 17, 2011 at 10:06 am

I am so sick of this shit! Not one mention of the Presidents jobs tour.
    Unreal. Really, really, really biased news, worse than ever.

28. 105 SarahT
    October 17, 2011 at 10:15 am

Sorry, all for the double-posting re, the NYT article on debates affecting coverage : My so-called “Smart Phone” wasn’t fast enough to keep up w/AMK for Obama !

29. 107 louc1
    October 17, 2011 at 10:16 am

Joan, I pray your health and strength. You are a valuable member of the TOD family and I love your wisdom – get well and get well rested – our president needs your strong voice!!!

Another note – I saw on some post yesterday – confusion about not being able to hear the crowd noise while the President spoke – well that was because the President spoke to a small crowd in the actual memorial but the majority of the dedication took place right outside the memorial in a field with a different stage – the stage where most of the speaking and performances took place. The President, Salazar, Aretha Franklin, and Stevie Wonder where the only ones on stage in the Memorial. We saw them on a jumbotron – but we were close enough and loud enough I think for the President to hear the “4 more years” chant. Hope that clears it up a little bit!!!

• October 17, 2011 at 10:23 am

Thanks, louc1. I was trying to figure out the configuration because I noticed it was a completely different set-up. Thanks for adding more detail. And a big congrats for being there in person!! I can’t imagine how moving it must have been because just watching it online was amazing. We all have so many incredible memories to treasure.

30. October 17, 2011 at 10:18 am

Ron Paul says he will cut 1 trillion dollars in his first year as POTUS!
    That means he would GUT everything…

31. 112 a4alice
    October 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Joan – take care we are all thinking healing thoughts for you.

32. October 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Best wishes for today’s surgery Joan.
    Welcome back Africa…we missed you. Time will help to heal the pain.

33. 114 sjterrid
    October 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Joan, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery.