Oct

bits ‘n’ pieces

NYT

Thanks ChristiMtl – I suspect Krugman will be deeply disappointed if Joe Gagnon is right ;-)

Thanks Donna Dem

Tuesday: The President will tape an appearance on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” before departing for San Francisco. In San Francisco, he will participate in a campaign event. In the afternoon the President will travel to Denver and participate in campaign events. He will spend Tuesday night in Denver.

Text of the President’s remarks at today’s campaign event at the Bellagio Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas here

“Their leader, Mitch McConnell said that – and I’m going to make sure I quote this properly – saving jobs of teachers and firefighters was just, and I quote, a bailout. A bailout! These aren’t bad actors who somehow screwed up the economy. They didn’t act irresponsibly. These are the men and women who teach our children and patrol our streets and run into burning buildings and save people. They deserve our support.”

This is great:

Eclectablog

Gallup: U.S. Unemployment Down Sharply in Early October

What is Working

Move On

Worth seeing again:

Visit thanksobamacare.org

I don’t read HuffyPo any more, but I’m guessing it’s looking something like this these days …..

It’s Pete!

Chief Official White House photographer for President Barack Obama Pete Souza photographs Obama speaking on the American Jobs Act in Las Vegas, Nevada

72 Responses to “bits ‘n’ pieces”

1. 2 LOL
    October 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm

An oldie but goodie….

2. 4 Bobfr
    October 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm

A request is answered :)

Van Jones @VanJones68 retweeted to 34,147 followers:

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @VanJones68 I hope you share these statements by Jake Lamar with all your partners youtube.com/watch?v=cJLvtV… Thank you. #OBAMA2012 #WeCantWait
    Oct 24, 3:54 PM via web

#YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

3. October 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Just read on Twitter PBO stopped at Roscoe’s Chicken & Waffles soul food restaurant in LA. CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THE PICTURES!!!

4. 12 dotster3
    October 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I just got polled!!!! by Rasmussen! Wonder what they’ll do with my responses. Going to have to tuck them away somewhere. I had so fun. About 100 questions, about everything known to man. Rating Obama, Biden, Boehner, McConnell, Reid, Pelosi, every issue, which issue is most impt., which departments would I eliminate—hahaha, only candidate by name vs. Obama was Romney, dozens of questions about Obama, if I’m satisfied with him on a long list of issues, I was poking my #1 real hard (that was very satisfied), how often I vote, which party for Congress etc. etc. And then age, education, employment, income. I’m just happy I finally got a say.

5. October 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm

For anyone who wants to see what a BFD the debris field will be for those of us on the West Coast: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374520/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-debris-floating-US-West-Coast.html

6. October 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Oh no, so much to read! Chips, did you deliberately wait until I left the house to add all these posts? [**grumbling** Probably take me the rest of the night to catch up. Sure I'm lucky to have this 'problem,' but now I probably won't have time to check out twitter. Sigh.]
    ;) Just kidding – totally LOVE all the info shared here. Keeps me busy and out of trouble, not to mentioned informed. Thanks, all!

October 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

vcprezofan2 – Hope you got my apologies about inadvertently blocking you on Twitter! Realized later that your tweets were protected & I probably hadn’t been able to verify you were an Obama supporter! Sorry again. I’m one of the new kids on Twitter!

• October 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I got it, thanks, Jacque, and actually answered you on that thread. Now I just need to figure out what’s ‘protected’ about my tweets so that I can ‘un-protect’ them. This probably explains why I haven’t been able to *grow* my followers. Al least, I hope that’s the explanation and not that I’m awful at tweeting.

If anyone here can tell me how to get my tweets out from their apparently protected status, I’d really appreciate it. THANKS

• October 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm

By the way, TOD Twitter team, my twitter name is ‘sonamie’ and I’m looking in through the twitter fence, occasionally tossing the ball back in when in comes over in my direction. I’m sure my level of fun would increase if I got more involved but I really don’t have any friends who follow the presidency of PBO. Since that’s my only reason for being on Twitter, it’s up to you guys to let me play in your game, ….
          if you don’t mind.

• 21 Betsy
          October 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm

You need to go to your profile page, click on “Account”, scroll down to “tweet privacy” and unclick “protect my tweets”, click save and you should be fine. Good luck.

• October 25, 2011 at 9:59 am

**THANK** you, Betsy!
            I’m ashamed to admit the number of times I’ve gone to that page, and others, trying to figure out where the ‘protected’ info was AND never thought to scroll beyond what was visible on my screen. Du-uh! Let’s face it, I won’t EVER be competent with technology, no matter how many hours I spend fiddling around. Thanks, again. Hopefully this change will make a difference to my involvement in the game.

7. 23 Bobfr
    October 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    The Congressional #KOCHSTOOGES promised jobs in 2010. As of today, ZERO Jobs bills, but 71 on family relations & 67 on firearms – sad irony

#PRESSON

October 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Dammmmmn Chips! This isn’t “bits ‘n’ pieces.” This is the whole shabang! You are SUPERWOMAN indeed! :)

9. October 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’m grateful to the HARP program. My bank called the other week and ASKED ME if I wanted to refinance my mortgage at a lower rate! 1 1/2% lower! No assessment (that’s not the right word but I can’t think of it at the moment) and a credit to cover most of the closing costs. My credit isn’t super high, but it was high enough to pass. This will save me $140 a month! I am so excited! It is an answer to prayer since I was to worried to go and ask for myself. I told everyone it was because of the government’s HARP program. When I asked the young man helping why the bank would call me and offer to lower my interest rate, he said it was because of the money they had received from the government for the HARP program and they were using it to build customer loyalty.

• 27 utaustinliberal
      October 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Oh wow. That’s such GREAT news. Happy for you. Another sign that effective Federal Government in the hands of PBO is phenomenal. #ObamaCares.

• October 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Congratulations Mary~ that is really good news for you! :)

• October 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Mary, I’m so thrilled for you!! Please share your story as widely and broadly as possible. You have the kind of relief that so many are seeking. Congratulations and I hope everything works out for you and your family.

• October 24, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Ahhhh Bless you, Mary :-) I am absolutely happy for you, God Is good, Girlfriend, enjoy your blessings, my Dear :D

• 31 nathkatun7
      October 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I am very happy for you Mary. I know that that $140 you will save will come in handy for the holidays. I am of course biased because I am also so delighted that a member of Chipstick’s TOD family is finally getting a break due to the President’s policies.

10. October 24, 2011 at 8:42 pm

love the gop job graphic

11. 33 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Not a lover of Bernie Sanders, but this was spot on.

• 34 Frenchie08
      October 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I cannot stand this man. He is still on this not enough, too little too late, he has got to, blah, blah, blah. He clearly does not support this President and only makes half hearted statements of support when prodded. He clearly thinks more highly of himself than anyone. One question. What is Sanders doing other than running his mouth?

12. 35 dotster3
    October 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Rubio caught in more lies about his family history. He’s told many different stories about certain events. I think Rubio may have a serious truth problem. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/npr-finds-more-discrepancies-in-rubios-history/2011/10/24/gIQApA2nDM_blog.html

13. October 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’m on the conference call with OFA HQ in Chicago about the new “Greater Together” youth outreach initiative. They just showed the new video PBO made that will debut tomorrow and it’s fantastic!! Grounded in his achievements and inviting students to get involved. It’s fresh and energetic. Guaranteed to fire up young people to get involved, it’s excellent!

Now we’re going over the new website and it’s also a great new useful tool. National student summit at UPenn. soon with a live twitter feed. More events and info will be coming forward very soon to illustrate this. Launch is tomorrow with hard open on Nov. 2nd, including events. There will be a similar “I’m In” sign-up for them to get updates and info going forward. Lots of digital pieces.

I’m excited to see this new outreach and I want to ask all of you to please help me get the word out tomorrow on twitter, FB and all your email groups. I’ll have the URL and other info early tomorrow. LET’S GO!!!!

14. 44 LOL
    October 24, 2011 at 8:55 pm

The president needs a fu###ng medal after he wins in 2012. This level of obstruction is unheard of….for the economy to be picking up some steam, the Dow gaining, companies posting profit is UN-flipping-believable with these morons in the house who REFUSE to do anything. My gosh, when the hell will the media start asking Boehner where are the jobs? And don’t give me this hogwash about well we can’t get it to pass the Senate—as my mom would say, “sounds like a personal problem”. The media is so scared of people calling them “liberal” that they are more or less refusing to hold the GOP accountable.

My dick of a governor Rick “jobs” Scott, now says his goal is to try and stop people from losing their jobs…but that whole 700K jobs he promised Floridians back during the campaign…well he really didn’t mean it. He has more important things to do…like cutting the education budget.

October 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm

The only thing about the election is the campaigning. The President will be away from his family so much. Hopefully Michelle and the girls can travel with him some.

15. 46 Proud of Obama
    October 24, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I love the President’s giggle.

16. 47 Dakota
    October 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Oh Chipsticks!

My replies are not posting. Help.

17. October 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I am listening to my local news here in CA, and they had a nice long report on PBO’s visit. Of course they had to point out that only 60% of Hispanics are supporting PBO as opposed to 67% in the last election. Also mentioned that Repugs are running ads on Hispanic stations trying to take advantage of this.

• 52 dotster3
      October 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I don’t understand how Hispanics could think it would be a good idea to vote for Repubs when all they talk about is building a 2nd fence and electrified and with moats and complete animosity toward them in all Repub controlled states—they spend half their time seeing who can be the nastiest toward immigrants. Don’t understand how that possibility—-voting Repub—-would ever be considered. It would be like self-punishment.

• October 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Not every Latino is a recent immigrant and poor. Unfortunately, there are some who have acquired right-wing values and don’t care about the plight of others. Unless we see a breakdown of Latino sub-groups, it’s hard to tell where his support is waning but I would guess that he is strong in the West.

• 54 Dakota
        October 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Many Hispanics don’t consider themselves “people of color.” They believe they are not a part of the issue. Trust me…the minute they start snatching them or their children, friends and relatives off the streets of Arizona for “looking like they might be an illegal,” they will know what time it is. In the African American community, we know a little somethin’ about that…it’s called “Driving While Black.”

• October 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Which Hispanics are you talking about that don’t consider themselves POC?

• 56 Dakota
            October 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Where I live now, there are Hispanics that are quick to tell you that their ancestors were the “Conquistadors.” The Arizona Immigration law states that a law enforcement officer can detain a person if they believe they are an “illegal.” How do they determine that? By the way a person looks. Racial profiling. My opinion is that some of the people that I’ve met that claim the Conquistadors “look” no different than the Latinos they want to distance themselves from.
            I was born and raised in the bay area. I have Latinos in my family and many that I’ve been friends with since elementary school. I can tell you that they are proud of who they are and they will be the first to co-sign what I said above. But just like in the AA community, there are some Latinos who have embraced the far right. It’s astonishing, but true. In spite of that, I have every confidence that the Latino community will be out in full force in support of the President.

• October 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

Meta, remember someone posted recently about Hispanics who chose ‘white’ on their census and two articles were shared in substantiation of the point?

• October 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I keep on asking…how many more of these ‘WHAT ABOUT IF YOU AIN’T WHITE, DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND’ laws do the GOP have to enact for Latinos to seriously catch a clue and get to voter registration 24/7/365?

• October 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm

There are many efforts ongoing to register Latinos. it’s not necessarily about “catch a clue.” We need volunteers. Have you signed up?

• October 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm

The 67 percent support in 2008 didn’t just magically happen; it was the product of a lot of work by OFA to register Hispanic voters and get out the vote. Those efforts will be repeated and will grow exponentially in the coming year in counties across the country. I live in a red county, but the fastest growing population segment is both Hispanic and young. We intend to make sure every one turning 18 by November 2012 has a chance to register to vote and are working on all sorts of efforts to reach out to the Hispanic dominated wards in the city. For every Latino/Hispanic who chooses not to support the president, I want to get two more who will. I think the effort to reach out to Latinos/Hispanics in the coming year will be massive and will succeed. Learn a little Spanish; make sure to set up a registration table at Latino/Hispanic event, ask the school with heavy Latino populations if you can register young voters during lunch periods in the cafeteria. We all have to reach out.

18. October 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Interesting how the bills the Republicans are introducing focus on God, Guns, Gays, Taxes and Abortion. Who knew?
    On a more serious note, I believe this underscores why Republicans have an easier time getting their people to vote and never ever encounter the protest non-voter. They have fewer issues that are easier to understand, three of which have are based on religious beliefs. They keep it simple and faith-based and that’s what appeals to their voters. Frankly, I think they believe more strongly in their issues than do people on the Left. Liberals have a bazillion issues, all very complicated and having no basis in faith or religion. That dissipates passion and belief and fosters the kind of dissent we see in people who make political statements by not voting or voting for non-viable candidates. Religion simply doesn’t drive the Liberal vote, so we don’t have access to that blind lock step voting block. Add to that the single issue voters who can’t see the big picture and it’s a wonder a Democrat is ever elected to the White House.

19. 64 Dave
    October 24, 2011 at 9:47 pm

It continues to fascinate me to witness such utterly transparent and unseemly JEALOUSLY of the President, from some unexpected sources. People that are unquestionably successful in their own right, such as Arianna Huffington, George Will, David Gergen (was he expecting a job offer?) and others. It’s amazing to me how they distort the record to further their on-screen narrative, but more importantly and reflective of this odd and marked JEALOUSLY, is how they create such a Catch-22 for the President. Doing too much – Doing too little. Speaking too much – Not engaged enough. On and on and on. He’s really NOT A VERY BRIGHT, UNIQUE AND VERY TALENTED PERSON ARRIVING ON THE SCENE WHEN WE MOST NEEDED HIM? Obviously we know better. And the comparison to the pathetic republican field is just The Theater of the Absurd. What’s up with these people?

• October 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm

What’s up with these people?….. They are stuck on the color of your Skin. One Term President, nRemember? Hate, racial, and evil. And that’s their story :roll:

• October 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm

They are filled with their own self-importance, which requires them to believe that they are more “in the know” than the president about every subject. The idea that someone as privileged as Arianna can suppose herself to be more in touch with the middle class than the president is beyond parody. A lot of these people made fortunes belittling Bush and they think that is still the ticket to success. If they were once to acknowledge that the President of the United States is brilliant, visionary and effective beyond their ability to grasp,they would have to embrace the concept of humility, which is beyond them. They’re much more comfortable with a venal, incompetent, intellectually limited Republican as president because, really, they could care less about the effect that has on actual lives. I feel certain that were this group around during the time of Jesus, they would haughtily dismiss him as naive and “out of touch” with the masses.

20. 67 carolyn
    October 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm

And these Republicans with those big brother bills, are the ones who complain about Democrats wanting government in people’s lives! THEY are the ones who want the interference….not Democrats. They cannot see themselves at all! It’s up to us to point this out to the and to others. They are blind.

21. October 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm

The Gallop figures on unemployment are seriously good news. Imagine what those numbers would be with an ounce of cooperation from the Republicans. If the president’s new strategies work, we could be seeing a mighyt turnaround in the economic engine that even the cynics can’t ignore. They should never underestimate this president.

22. October 25, 2011 at 12:11 am

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I am very touched by your well wishes. You can bet I have told everyone (including the Republicans I teach with) that this is because of President Obama. Obama cares indeed!

23. 70 HZ
    October 25, 2011 at 12:19 am

Jackie, I totally concur with you. I really think that a lot of people are going to be knocked off of their feet as we get closer to the election. I believe in my spirit that the economic numbers are going to be in POB’s favor. It is going to blow these people away. I feel it in my spirit, and I also see how POB is moving with his stratgegies.. daily in a manner that will help him to achieve this.

He will be favored with goodness. It is gradually happening now, but this is just the table setting. Wait until the meal is served on the table. That is going to be some kind of a meal. Keep praying, working hard, and we will be answered with blessings that will be right on time for this great and humble spirit of our President, Barack Obama. Just watch it.HZ

24. 72 JoJothecat
    October 25, 2011 at 12:24 am

I am watching RM show on MSNBC and she’s talking about all the cities that are going to lay off fire fighters, cops, first responders and the GOP refusing to send money to cities to save these jobs. I am wondering if these same fire fighters, cops, etc., will continue to vote Republican knowing that these same politicians are causing them to lose their jobs? Does anyone have a fire fighter, police officer, etc., in your family and how they feel about this?