Oct

rise and shine

President Obama will record an interview with Jay Leno this morning – it won’t be shown until late night but NBC will release some excerpts in the afternoon

President Obama leaves Air Force One upon his arrival in Los Angeles on Monday

LA Times: President Obama opened an aggressive Western fundraising swing Monday, closing out the day in Los Angeles with an appeal to supporters to prepare for a grueling reelection effort.

At an intimate fundraising dinner in Hancock Park, Obama spoke softly to a few dozen supporters who had paid $35,800 each to greet him.

“I’ve said this before — this election will not be as sexy as the first one,” the president said. “Back then it was still fresh and new. I didn’t have any gray hair. Everybody loved the ‘Hope’ posters and all that. This time it’s — we’ve got to grind it out a little bit. We’ve got to grind it out. But the cause is the same. And my passion is the same. And my commitment is the same.”

The gathering, at the home of movie producer James Lassiter and his wife, Mai, was one of six events Obama had planned in three days of stops in Nevada, California and Colorado, as he kept up a torrid fundraising pace that is far surpassing that of the GOP presidential field.

Two Los Angeles gatherings Monday were celebrity-flecked, with the first including actor Will Smith and former Laker Magic Johnson. The second and larger event was at the home of actors Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas, with per-seat tickets starting at $5,000.

Full article here

Thanks Marlz

The First Lady’s day:

12:55 Delivers remarks at a Democratic National Committee reception in Detroit

3:45 Discusses access to healthy food with mayors from around the country in Chicago

4:50 Delivers remarks at a Walgreens in Chicago and visits Iron Street Urban Farms with Mayor Rahm Emanuel

6:40 Delivers remarks at a Democratic National Committee reception in Chicago

Today the administration will announce plans to create jobs for veterans continuing on President Barack Obama’s efforts to boost the economy through a series of executive actions.

“While we will continue to work with Congress to bring up the American Jobs Act piece-by-piece, we will increase our focus on taking executive actions that fight for the middle class because the American people simply can’t wait for the Republican Congress to act. … Today, we are announcing two new initiatives that will help create jobs for veterans at community health centers and expand opportunities for veterans to become physician assistants,” a White House official said.

The initiatives will be announced during a conference call with reporters at 10 a.m. today with Matt Flavin, director of the White House Veterans, Military Families and Wounded Warrior Task Force; HRSA administrator Mary Wakefield; and president of the National Association of Community Health Centers, Tom Van Coverden.

Steve Benen: …. Yesterday, President Obama unveiled a new, and almost certainly better, initiative as part of the White House’s “We Can’t Wait” campaign. The point to provide assistance to 1 million households, helping them refinance at today’s strikingly-low interest rates and lowering their mortgage payments.

There are, of course, concerns about the scope of the effort. It’s a modest program that won’t directly affect most of those underwater…. Still, Brian Beutler reports there are some experts who see cause for cautious optimism:

“Under the restrung HARP, I expect an additional 1.05 million [refinancings] through the end of 2012 and 1.6 million [refinancings] through the end of 2013 when the program ends,” said Moody’s top economist Mark Zandi in an email. “While HARP won’t live up to the initial expectations of 4-5 million in refinancings, the program will ultimately provide a meaningful boost to the broader economy as financially stressed households will benefit from much lower mortgage payments. It will also provide a bit of help to the housing market by forestalling some mortgage defaults.”

…. It’s a modest step, but at least it’s in the right direction. Coupled with other steps, we might even start to see some larger progress. It certainly beats watching Congress implode into an obstructionist mess.

Full post here

The first part of the video is about Condaleeza Rice’s new book, but if you forward to three minutes in there’s good stuff on the madness of Herman Cain.

The GOP: Screwed

The Week

Eugene Robinson: For the clueless or cynical diehards who deny global warming, it’s getting awfully cold out there.

The latest icy blast of reality comes from an eminent scientist whom the climate-change skeptics once lauded as one of their own. Richard Muller, a respected physicist at the University of California, Berkeley, used to dismiss alarmist climate research as being “polluted by political and activist frenzy.” Frustrated at what he considered shoddy science, Muller launched his own comprehensive study to set the record straight. Instead, the record set him straight.

“Global warming is real,” Muller wrote last week in The Wall Street Journal.

Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann and the rest of the neo-Luddites who are turning the GOP into the anti-science party should pay attention.

…… It is the know-nothing politicians – not scientists – who are committing an unforgivable fraud.

Full article here

OMG! GG will on Maddow tonight! OMG!

168 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 proudmemberofglobalzero
    October 25, 2011 at 8:14 am

Good morning TOD family. Have a great day. Can’t wait for the interview. Off to work.

Go Rangers!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 8:19 am

I really believe a bunch of us should sign up with GOPolitico and call them out on their bullshitty headlines. As per Jovie on the last thread, they wrote some nonsense about “jobless voters to desert Obama.” I mean WTH? Based on the three or so Romney supporters that you interviewed who would have voted for Romney anyway?!?

• 3 LOL
      October 25, 2011 at 8:46 am

GOPolitico is the TMZ of news. As they would say there is no there “there” They write the news….then find people/stats to go with them. It is solely whatever the MSM meme is or what Morning Jo(k)e decides. I swear everytime I (make the mistake) read one of their stories, I feel dumber and I never learn anything new. The problem is that this publication has infiltrated cable news- so you hear CNN,MSNBC all picking up the same meme- it is a very dangerous thing when only one side of the story- POLITCO”s- is being told.

Let’s be honest…they want a horse race. Today’s NYT poll which was conducted after the debates has Hermy at 25 and Romney at 21%..rounding at the top 8 is Huntsman with barely registered% (lol). This is why the will continue to dismiss Herm and pump up Romney- on today’s NYT they have a story written about Romney damn near straight out of Romney’s press shop- they want Obama v Romney. Even with the stat of only 9% positivity in the Prez stories…they don’t feel ashamed. One has to marvel at the level of utter BullS#^* this president has to put up with and still be leading all of the contenders.

Today on GOPolitico, Dee Dee Myers (of Clinton press secretary(?)) actually tells Romney to look at Clinton a la 91 to see how to oust an incumbent pres—this coming from a “Democrat”

• 4 dotster3
        October 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

What is up with all the Clinton people continuing to try to undermine Obama, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so subtly? It’s disturbing. It is obvious that many in the power structure club have settled for and settled on Romney. I thought it was significant last night that I was only asked about a race between Obama and Romney by a Rasmussen poll, no other Repub candidates, planting that outcome in everyone’s brain.

• 5 Lovepolitics2008
          October 25, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve noticed that too. It could be a lot of things.

- Pure pettiness. They’ve never forgiven President Obama for beating Hillary. They don’t want him to have a second term because it would affect Bill’s standing in presidential history. They don’t care if he’s not reelected because they think they themselves won’t suffer. They live in an insulate world.

-Political shenenigans. I confess that a few months ago I thought they were attempting a coup. Not preparing a primary but making things so difficult that President Obama would decide to not run again. Now there’s a part of me that can’t help thinking they’re trying to put Hillary on the ticket. Make President Obama think he doesn’t have a choice if he wants a united party behind him. Hillary being so complimentary of President Obama this last week-end means she’s aiming for vp or, and I hope that’s the case, she’s sending a message to her allies in the party to cut the crap and get behind the president.

Pardon my cynism but I can’t help it. What’s most striking to me is that Bill Clinton doesn’t seem to do his part for the unity of the party. Why doesn’t he stop this ? He certainly has influence with people like Maxine Waters… And he has some friends in the media…

• 6 L3
            October 25, 2011 at 11:17 am

Lovepolitics2008 you are right on. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and have made a few comments about it too. But, I think their plan was and is to peel away PBO’s support so that he himself would decide not to run again for the sake of the party and the country. For the plan to succeed they would have to diminsh PBOs black support and that’s what Smiley, West, Waters and some of the CBC were tasked to do. The black vote would be the toughest to destroy for obvious reasons. Yes, we are Democrats but there is no way in hell we are going to abandon the first black president. They should realize that they underestimated the depth of PBOs support but they don’t because they only talk to each other.

So now their strategy is to preserve Clinton’s mantle of being the only twice elected Democrat since FDR, I believe, by defeating PBO. Because PBO is already more successful in less than one term than Bill was in two. After PBO’s second term, Clinton’s “accomplishments” will be dwarfed by those of PBO and he will be remembered as a president who had great promise but whose policies helped contribute to the great recession and whose “appetites” disgraced himself, his family, his party and his country.

• 7 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
              October 25, 2011 at 11:26 am

I onced loved President Clinton, but as we see today, I would not consider NAFTA and DADT an accomplishment. Oh, president Clinton did sign the 3 strikes bill for convicts into law and forced welfare recipients to find work. Spectacular accomplishments………… :roll:

• October 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

because the Obama folks LOCKED THEM OUT.

they haven’t gone to them for anything, and they are outside of POTUS’ WH.

• 9 Lovepolitics2008
            October 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm

??? Who are you refering to ? Congress people, political operatives ? Communications gurus ? people like Krugman, James Rubin ?

• October 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm

All of the above. I find it interesting that most of the Clinton operatives are all over the #mediarazzi pushing variations of the “President Obama’s divisive” meme at every turn they get. PBC signed the repeal of Glass-Steagall law and look at the resulting mess. He also had Mr. Andrea Mitchell as his Fed. chairman and we see how well his/those policies have worked.

Imagine in 2013, when PBO gets to stop cleaning up the messes from the last 20 years and move this country forward. What will the Clintonistas say then? I think they’re worried about irrelevancy; as well as they should be. More problematic for Clintonistas is the close scrutiny of PBC’s 8 years; especially the last 4 when he squandered the Democratic advantage he had.

#vote #occupyvotingbooth #ObamaBiden #2012

• October 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I need to acknowledge my paranoia here: I am quite convinced Hill/Bill are undermining PBO! Hill out front praising him to the high heavens, Bill crawling on the ground trying to throw little pieces of doubt. He knows if he whispers the the press will go wild which is what he is doing. I would not be surprised if Bill wants Hill to run in ’16. I also think that is why VP Biden said he might run in ’16. He would be formidable for her. I think it was a shot across the Hill/Bill bow. Color me crazy!

• 13 Sue in Minnesota
            October 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I am also paranoid, because basically I do not trust Bill Clinton. His comfort with lying and IMO what I consider an exaggerated ego set off my instinctual alarms.

• October 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I don’t think Hillary is but I believe Bill is subconsciously undermining Pres. Obama JUST like he did with Hillary when she was running in the primaries. I was not a Hillary fan but I do remember that some of the negative news stories about her involved remarks Bill made while on the trail. I remember thinking that she needed to keep him behind the scenes because of his foot in mouth attention whore disease.

• 15 Sue in Minnesota
              October 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm

gobrooklyn…I agree with you regarding Hillary. I think she is an excellent SOS, and I basically trust her. Bill, not so much!

October 25, 2011 at 11:45 am

Maybe we need to ask Dee Dee Myers what the hell is she doing? Or how much she is getting paid? As for GOPolitico and post positive things about President Obama, but I have stop. Maybe I will go back.

• October 25, 2011 at 11:57 am

Except there is this article: “Unemployed Pinching Pennies To Donate To Obama”

3. 18 dotster3
    October 25, 2011 at 8:27 am

I need some help in protesting the all Repub all the time programming on the Today Show. Every day there is a Repub or Repub spokesperson as the top of the show featured guest. Today it was O’Reilly, who said if the election was held today, of course Obama would lose. No challenge from Matt Lauer on that or any of his doom and gloom, false statements. I have watched the Today Show for years, and I have never seen anything like this hard right turn. There has always been some balance, but for at least the last 6 months, it has been under seige, as if someone has a gun to their heads, nothing but Repub guests and views. Please take a minute and email or tweet your disgust, contact info on right. I have been furious about this, but I’m also sad about it.

October 25, 2011 at 8:54 am

There is an extraordinary amount of Obama-bashing which tells me that it’s not just about ratings. It’s about undermining his presidency at all costs to make it easier for one or more of the pathetic GOP candidates (including their preferred candidate Romney) to get elected.

• 20 Debz
        October 25, 2011 at 10:11 am

All of this Obama bashing goes way beyond ratings and a “horse race.” Since the day he was elected, the media has been on the attack. It is their goal to destroy this man, and it all comes down to money. Even the Clinton people, as Dotster mentions, are after him because he is messing with the money people, it was Clinton after all who repealed Glass-Stegal, and was responsible for NAFTA. He was happy to help big money. President Obama terrifies them because he is concerned with the American people and not with the money men. They do think he’s the enemy.

• 21 Gc
          October 25, 2011 at 10:29 am

I agree. They are facing the end of their world as they know and love it. They are fighting for their survival whether or not WE believe it signifies the destruction of all the good in this country.

• 22 Lovepolitics2008
          October 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Barack Obama is a threat to All the big lobbies: oil, banks, insurance, defense contractors. We often talk about Oil and Banks, but let’s not forget defense contractors. They don’t like a reluctant warrior that’s for sure… They don’t like someone who’s working to stop the abuse in defense contracts, that’s for sure.

God, I hope the “emoprogs” would wake up, see pass the compromises and realize they have an ally in the WH.

• October 25, 2011 at 9:11 am

Same with Brian Williams!

Coordinated swiftnoating!

Just keep donating and volunteering, that is what they fear and want to tramp down!

4. October 25, 2011 at 8:32 am

My husband and I have also noticed this trend. I have watched the Today Show since I was a child, which was a long time ago. We no longer watch it. At 7 AM when the local news is over, the tv goes off.

5. 27 Bill
    October 25, 2011 at 8:45 am

Dotster3, I don’t watch the Today Show but I believe the reason the right seems to dominate the talk shows is that the current crop of right wing personalities are so outrageous and ridiculous they draw more viewers than thoughtful politicians and policy makers discussing serious issues. The general public wants entertainment, and the right wing and Republicans in general provide a reality show, witness the cross over value of The Donald. All teevee is concerned with are ratings, not providing serious discussion, and with the dumbing down of the country, the right wing provides entertainment to many.

October 25, 2011 at 8:52 am

The right wing dominates the talk shows because the media is an extended arm of the Republican party and wants to sell propaganda to the voting public from a predominantly right wing point of view. I think it’s beyond just outrageous personalities. I truly believe that the media is hoping for a Mitt Romney presidency in 2012 and they are pushing all these issues with Cain and Perry as distractions.

It’s not just about ratings. There is a concerted effort to perpetuate certain memes, protect certain candidates, etc. based on what the right wing masters in the mediacorp desire. Phil Donahue was among the top rated talk shows in the early 2000s and yet he got the boot because he challenged the Iraqi war at a time when the media wanted to protect Bush and carry water for his lies.

• October 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

Totally agree, hopefruit. Remember Today is part of NBC / MSNBC which was bought by Comcast. Republican-owned corporations bought it so you see Republican talking points all the time.

• October 25, 2011 at 9:45 am

I also think the media wants a horse race. Sure the media is corporate owned and who works most for corporate interests? Republicans. However, the media is ALWAYS looking to increase ratings, which means more money. If the upcoming election were strictly about President Obama, the media figures less people would watch. A down-to-the-wire, nose-to-nose horse race will have people sitting in front of their TV’s with baited breath. I say follow the money. Ideology is important but so is money.

• October 25, 2011 at 10:19 am

Respectfully disagree about the horse race being the driver. As you say it’s about money. And these corporations will make more money with the republicans in control.

• 35 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
            October 25, 2011 at 10:46 am

Exactly POB. MSM ratings is just a small part of it. Their main aim is to destroy PBO. That is what President Obama means by this campaign will be grueling. It will be the ground/internet troops vs the MSM cotrolled by the Rightwing Corporatist. All hands must be on deck to survive this election. It won’t be pretty. The MSM/Koch/Rove Empire has found their man, albeit reluctantly, to promote for a Whitehouse takeover. The question is will the masses in the public fall for it?

You can also see that they are trying to DRIVE home the meme that PBO is responsible for the lack of job creation and it is his fault that the Rethugs won’t pass any legislation. Cain and Perry are being used as puppets to confuse the electorate and make it seem like they are a legit alternative in the Rethug fiasco and then Romney comes out ahead as the SANE WHITE SHINING NIGHT. Those Koch bros. and Rove are an EVIL EMPIRE. They do not want a Iraq withdrawal either even though it is popular with the public. :angry: Obama/Biden 2012!!

• October 25, 2011 at 11:09 am

You make an excellent point proud.

• 38 Lovepolitics2008
        October 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

You’re right. They “protect” certain candidates. Look what they just did for Huntsman in editing his tasteless joke on Colbert. (see a few comments below).

6. 39 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 25, 2011 at 8:49 am

About our “FAV” Gov’nor and the comments are funny too.

7. 40 LOL
    October 25, 2011 at 8:52 am

Ruh Roh— Can someone say Huntsmanmenturm

A less-than-tasteful Chinese joke was edited out of Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman’s appearance on “The Colbert Report.”

When the show played a stereotypical Chinese musical jingle, Huntsman joked, “When’s the delivery food coming?” After a few moments of akward silence, Colbert asked the former U.S. ambassador to China, “Did that go over well in Beijing?”
    That portion of the interview caused the crowd to groan, and was later cut from the Monday night broadcast because of time reasons, reports ABC News.

• 41 TrumpDog
      October 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

How nice to edit what Huntsman said. If it was Pres. Obama, it would be headlined on every news show and newspaper.

Fair and balanced :roll:

• 42 Lovepolitics2008
      October 25, 2011 at 11:07 am

God is there some way to obtain the original version of the show and make it viral? This editing is so telling of the media manipulation to protect certain candidates…

Write to Colbert and let him know what you think. He’s probably embarrassed himself that his producer is protecting Huntsman.

• 43 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
        October 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

You haven’t seen nothing yet. Wait and see what happens when Mittens wins the nomination. Protection of a candidate will be an understatement. :???:

8. 45 dotster3
    October 25, 2011 at 8:55 am

More details about Michelle’s schedule today, altho Chgo Trib writer seems overly concerned about who is paying her travel expenses, as is almost always the case with Michelle, for some reason. I would call it obsessed.

• 46 LOL
      October 25, 2011 at 9:00 am

Other than Clarence Page..the Trib is very conservative….can’t say I’m surprised. They did endorse the Prez in 08, but hell who didn’t- Vice President Palin.

• 47 TrumpDog
      October 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m getting so damn sick and tired of the “liberal” media asking about who pays for travel expenses. I don’t think I EVER heard them raise the concern when Laura Bush was first lady. This is bullshit. Why now?

• 48 edp4bho
        October 25, 2011 at 10:34 am

B-L-A-C-K!

• 49 Mel
          October 25, 2011 at 11:07 am

I have talked with a lot’s of people here in my comunity , and all of them express the same concerns.that the news is very
          negative and therefore do not watch too much of the news we all get it. But if we all remember it was the same in 2008
          PBO have to endure a lot’s of crap coming from all sides in every step of the way the MSM was coming up with new SHIT
          made up of course Rev Right 24/7 . the Race card and many other dificult sensative and very divasive issues.
          PBO handle all of those issues very effectivey and the people respoded to him very nice.I am very confindent that PBO
          will be fine and let’s not pay attention too much to the MSM it’s business for them.

• 50 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
            October 25, 2011 at 11:49 am

Love you Mel. Lets get our Latino brothers and sisters to the polls and to the polls voting Democrat. :wink:

October 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm

TrumpDog, edp4bho, I agree with you 100%.

9. 52 a4alice
    October 25, 2011 at 8:55 am

Hey Meta – what’s going on for today as far as tweeting and such for your youth project? I’m at work but will check back when I can. I’ll look for you on twitter if i don’t see you here – ack! going back to work….

10. 56 Hachikō
    October 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hello everyone. Hope you’re all doing well.

That Rachel Maddow clip is scary. Corporate power must be reigned in or we will see all our rights and freedoms disappear in favor of the will of corporations.

• 57 Mel
      October 25, 2011 at 11:12 am

Did anybody see on the RM show last night our Fantastic Embassador to the U.U Susan Rice she was
      spectacular. She is brilliant I love her.

• 58 L3
        October 25, 2011 at 11:28 am

Yes, it was discussed on the last thread. Rachel acted as though she knew more about our foreign policy than Ms. Rice, who promptly shut her down and schooled her in the process. It was great.

• 59 Sue in Minnesota
        October 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

Mel she was and is indeed awesome. She handed Rachel her, pardon me, ass. Rachel is smart, but in this interview, hands down Susan Rice was smarter. President Obama has assembled a very high caliber administration, another aspect of his Presidency that we have much to be grateful for.

• 60 lilma
          October 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Here’s a link… http: 3chicpolitico.com/2011/10/25/susan-rice-un-ambassador-educates-rachel-maddow-et-al-on -us-foriegn-policy/
          it was a sight to behold also enjoyable to finally hear someone who knows what they’re talking about…

As for the critics on the POTUS mortgage plan I’m not worry about them… Because every time the media (and I mean all media) come out with some critic said and run with it. PBO always manage to shoot them down aka: Birthers, class warfare, auto bail-out, cash-for-clunkers, Libya intervention…

With all the people here spreading the true by twitter, e-mail, etc help get the real truth out their and keep them honest because they have to explain themselves to you & us…. And people like me take your ifo. and message and spread it around our different social circle…

11. 61 Ladyhawke
    October 25, 2011 at 8:58 am

Rick Perry’s Flat Tax Plan – Totally Eviscerated

The Last Word Lawrence O’Donnell and Jared Bernstein totally eviscerated the Rick Perry Flat Tax Plan last night. it was brutal. Jared Bernstein said instead of three numbers like Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 Plan, Perry’s plan is three words Cut-Balance-Grow. The only thing I didn’t understand was why the news of Perry’s plan was considered “Breaking News”. (face palm)

October 25, 2011 at 9:02 am

The media’s efforts to downplay his foreign policy efforts has not gone unnoticed.

// Most in the media are again asking the wrong question about whether President Obama’s foreign policy successes will matter in the 2012 election. That line of thinking ignores the fact that “honest and trustworthy,” “shares my values,” along with likability, are key sentiments on which voters base their electoral decisions. Foreign policy is the one area where the American people have a mostly unobstructed view of Obama and what is possible, because it’s the one place Republicans can’t obstruct. Therefore the question that will matter most as Americans compare two very different visions of America’s role in the world and what that means for us here at home is: What do these foreign policy successes tell us about President Obama as a leader? //

• 63 Ladyhawke
      October 25, 2011 at 9:13 am

FOREIGN vs DOMESTIC AGENDA

Thanks for posting hope. The last sentence says it all. And of course, the question that should follow is what could President Obama have done on the domestic front without the obstruction of the Republican Party? Hopefully the answer will be lets give him a congress he can work with and see what happens.

—————————————–

“What do these foreign policy successes tell us about President Obama as a leader?”

—————————————–

• 64 Betsy
      October 25, 2011 at 9:40 am

I really am not worried about PBO’s re-election, it’s the House and Senate I’m worried about. If the House doesn’t go Dem, and we don’t keep the Senate, we will continue to have a worse time in the next 4 years. Frankly, that scares me more than ever.

• 65 prettyfoot58
        October 25, 2011 at 10:19 am

Good Morning…TODers….

Betsy…no truer words have been spoken..

we have to relay to folks how important these midterm races have become…we must explain how our system of gov works…how it is the Congress that passes law…whether it is the state house or the Congress…it was reported in a previous thread how successful the President has been in foreign policy when he did not have the Obstructionist repubs and the turncoat dems standing in his way….just think where our country would be if the President was fully able to get his agenda enacted by Congress…

Just as the President has taken his message to the American people directly…so too must we…we cannot rely on the so-called press and talking heads to do it for us….

and as the President talks to more and more folks…and as he does what he can do thru executive order…the people will see who is on their side….

Pressssssssssssssss ON…..

• October 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

CNN asked people to respond to a question about whether or not they agree with President Obama using the executive order to help the economy. They said they received 200 responses. Well they must have all been mostly positive because for once they read mostly positive responses. I was shocked they read them.

• 67 dotster3
      October 25, 2011 at 9:59 am

BillO dismissed Obama’s foreign policy successes on the Today Show also as being insignificant to his re-election. Shocking, I know. They all have their marching orders, foreign policy is all of a sudden not the least bit important to anything, should not be considered in assessing Obama’s leadership abilities. Quite a change for all these people who used to place it at the top of the list.

• 68 Debz
        October 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

Interesting, in the ’08 election, foreign policy was considered THE most important issue.

• 69 Ladyhawke
        October 25, 2011 at 10:40 am

BI-PARTISAN FOREIGN POLICY??

This will blow your mind. Apparently, former congressman Pete Hoekstra thinks President Obama should give back his Nobel Peace Prize for the sake of bi-partisanship. You can’t make this stuff up. It sounds like he is looking for some way to share in President Obama’s foreign policy success. It is horrifying to think that this man was once the ranking member on the Intelligence Committee. Simply horrifying.

• 70 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
          October 25, 2011 at 11:01 am

Ladyhawke nothing blows my mind when is comes to the inefectual Teapublicans. Their desperation is SO transparent it is pathetic. :???:

• 71 edp4bho
          October 25, 2011 at 11:08 am

Can we get Chips to put up that pic of PBO laughing out loud here? :-D :-D

• 72 edp4bho
        October 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

Yep, just like in 8th grade I got the highest score on my science test, in a class of one other AA besides myself, all others white. The teacher marked one of my answers incorrectly, othewise I would have gotten 100%- he dismissed it saying…”Ah, you got the highest grade anyway” and didn’t bother to change it. I was bewildered, but that incident kept my eyes open. Like I say, B-L-A-C-K outshining all others is still not enough.

• 73 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
        October 25, 2011 at 11:05 am

The MSM will dismiss PBO’s foreign policy success, but not the public. Deep in the hearts of Americans he will be viewed as somone we all can trust. Can you imagine Corporatist flip/flopper Mitt Romney at the RED button at 3am in the morning. YIIIIKES!!! :shock:

13. 74 collegekay
    October 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

PBO looks so good in that picture w/ Jay. Sigh..

Everyone have a fantastic day; don’t let anyone steal your joy.

14. October 25, 2011 at 9:19 am

About the media- the RNC wakes up every morning and tries to win the narrative.
    They lobby hard behind the scenes and it shows.
    This top down approach, is what Nuxon wanted for Republicsns- who was obsessed with ny times op Ed!
    I am pretty sure, the DNC and OFA is working on our ground game and getting us organized from the ground up.
    That us the ultimate battle of 2012- top down republicsnism and bottom up donating volunteerism!

Game on!

• 81 Lovepolitics2008
      October 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

Jovie, I agree that the ground game counts a lot, but it helps the ground game when you have more influence on the media narrative. The DNC has to be more proactive behind the scenes with the media. Of course the media will still help the GOP more (the big bosses don’t like democrats) but DNC pressure could limit the damage a bit.

15. 82 Me4obama
    October 25, 2011 at 9:19 am

Good morning TODville. Hope you all have a fantastic day and not let the media talking heads bring you down.:smile: fired up ready to work.

October 25, 2011 at 9:21 am

Now THIS would be something to behold:)
    http://www.politicususa.com/en/anonymous-fox-news Morning!

October 25, 2011 at 9:30 am

AW…Look what Willard said:
    Speaking of which, your quote of the day: “We ought to provide help to the people who have been hurt most by the Obama economy. And that’s the middle class. It’s not those at the very low end; it’s certainly not those at the very high end. It’s for the great middle class — the 80 to 90 percent of us in this country.” (Mitt Romney, September 21, 2011)

• 85 utaustinliberal
      October 25, 2011 at 11:03 am

Willard thinks he’s middleclass? He’s worth over $250M and he thinks that’s middleclass. He thinks he’s part of the “us?” What utter crock. How about he hand that $250M to real middle and working class folks and then live the real middle and working class life. A-hole. :roll:

18. October 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

Btw: you remember Billy Nungesser from new Orleans? Well, he just lost a very close battle for Lt governor!
    That guy was on every day on ac-360 for 3 months, during the oil spill. I would not be surprised if Anderson Cooper endorsed him.
    I knew he wanted something more…

19. October 25, 2011 at 9:36 am

Did you all see this. Its all over the internet
    I am beyond disgusted.

• October 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

Can’t believe this SOB’s mother’s names is similar to my mother’s. His: Lenore My mother: Lenora. Little thing I know but I just can’t stand this smug, elitist phony.

How about touting what you’re for on your merchandise, Willard, instead of disparaging the President? Oh, that’s right, you can’t because what you’re for changes every minute. Has a short shelf live. Douche.

• 89 utaustinliberal
        October 25, 2011 at 11:06 am

Exactly. He’s always stalking PBO like a freaking neurotic shadow. Has no ideas of his own and doesn’t even know how to act like a functioning social being. That hat was just disgusting.

• 90 Sue in Minnesota
        October 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm

proud I completely undertand. I have a nickname in my family, Lulu, which is used with great affection and I embrace it. So imagine how upset I was to find out Sarah Palin’s family refers to her as Grandma lulu, like I own the name NOT, but to see something that to me denotes love and affection being shared with that piece of crap. It bugged the crap out of me

• 91 TrumpDog
      October 25, 2011 at 10:21 am

Reminds me of John McCain’s campaign – concentrating too hard on Obama instead of laying out his own plans. This hat strikes me as incredibly childish. Plus it’s really ugly. Who’d pay $30 to wear that?

October 25, 2011 at 11:23 am

Trust me…folks are not impressed with Willard…just to give you examples of responses to his most recent tweets:

1. FIRST Mitt TWEETED:
      //.@BarackObama’s astonishing failure to secure an orderly transition in Iraq has unnecessarily put at risk victories won at great sacrifice//

Here are the Responses:

// Deep digs at the GOP. We didnt forget that the end of 2011 was the GOP’s idea. Your an astonishing failure Romney. //

// So Mr. Romney we should just keep troops there indefinitely? Just shows whatever the Pres. does, you’re against. //

2. NEXT Mitt TWEETED:
      //Nearly 1 in 4 Nevadans is unemployed, underemployed or has stopped looking for work. VIDEO: http://mi.tt/r8lG05 #ObamaIsntWorking//

Here are the Responses:

// GWB STARTED THE DISASTER YOU WILL BE NO BETTER! //

// it’s because #God hates prostitution and gambling! YOU MUST STOP IT CAPT. MORON….I mean MORMON!!!!! Destroy the real enemy! //

// So why does your party run on social issues that do not win general election instead of jobs? Voters still blame Bush. Enjoy! //

// jackass //

// At least POTUS has a plan to get people to work NOW, obstructed, of course, by GOP. What is your NOW plan, Mitt? //

// there are 14.9 million Americans out of work, and ur party has done nothing but talk. Where I come from “Talk” is cheap //

3. FINALLY, Mitt TWEETED:
      //This summer, @BarackObama himself confirmed that his housing policies had failed & that he was “going back to the drawing board.”//

Here are the Responses:

// i’m not voting for you regardless of how much and how often you attack my president..//

// Who said all of his policies would be successful! Do you remember NO Child Left Behind? #epicfail!! //

// OK Mitt stop wasting our time we know what’s wrong what is your solution. //

// Say what u will … the @GOP dislike u still //

// So, what are your suggestions? What are your policies? All you do on Twitter is complain, how about some ideas? //
      // Ur answer on RomneyCare is all wrong. Flip it back to POTUS “My plan is great, but it can’t be applied nationally, mr president” //

// If at first you dont succeed you must try and try again. Having A plan is better than having NO PLAN //

// Because the GOP made sure that his policies would fail.

October 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Tweet and remind good old Mitt, what he told the company he hired to cut his grass. I can’t have any illegal workers working for me, I’m running for office. Not that it was against the law, but I’m running for office.

20. 96 FiredUpInCA
    October 25, 2011 at 9:51 am

There’s a new Tumblr in town:

“HI, TUMBLR.

It’s nice to meet you.

There are lots of reasons we’re excited to be launching the Obama 2012 campaign’s new Tumblr today. But mostly it’s because we’re looking at this as an opportunity to create something that’s not just ours, but yours, too.

We’d like this Tumblr to be a huge collaborative storytelling effort—a place for people across the country to share what’s going on in our respective corners of it and how we’re getting involved in this campaign to keep making it better.

It’s possible because of Tumblr’s submission feature.

You can send us a few paragraphs about how your latest phonebanking gig went or why you’re in for 2012. Share the latest chart you saw that made you go “woah.” Ask a question. Upload a photo of 2012 t-shirts or signs you see out in the wild. Pass along jokes, particularly if they’re funny. And if you’re among the Tumbl-inclined, send us posts you’ve published on your own Tumblr that we should look at re-blogging.

There will be trolls among you: this we know. We ask only that you remember that we’re people—fairly nice ones—and that your mother would want you to be polite.

Thanks, Tumblr. We’re looking forward to getting to know you.”

21. October 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

cbs-nyt poll

birther perry at fourth after cain, mittens and newt, with 80% still undecided. So, it’s basically the teabaggers who are freeping these polls and perry couldn’t score even amidst these racist nutjobs.

22. October 25, 2011 at 9:57 am

The Republicans are freaked out because they know Pres Obama cannot be beaten by any of the clowns they have. So they are using every avenue to repeat the lie that he is so vulnerable. Just lies and attacks. Republicans are stupid and cannot govern so they have to use the media to lie, lie, lie.

The one who’s really got my blood pressure up today is Chuck Todd. His whole show was how “down” the President sounded at his fundraisers. How the President’s effort to help homeowners is too late and won’t work. Then he had Mayor Rahm Emanuel on to discuss his working with FLOTUS on bringing fresh fruits and vegetables to food deserts in the neighborhoods. He was rude and disrespectful and kept trying to bring in national issues. He actually called what Mayor Emanuel and FLOTUS are doing acting like a nanny state. And made a comment about controlling what people on food stamps can buy. Straight right wing talking point. I sent him a tweet asking “Don’t people on food stamps deserve to eat healthy?”

It was disgusting and Emanuel was clearly pissed about the questions.

• 101 utaustinliberal
      October 25, 2011 at 11:09 am

Chuck Todd is one of the most disgusting a-holes to infect our tv screens. His MSNBC ad makes me want to projectile vomit. He’s a shoddy hack who doesn’t deserve to be called a journalist. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. He’s the poor man’s version of porn star Ron Jeremy. Unlike Ron, Chuck can’t any T&A even if he paid a million bucks.

23. 102 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 25, 2011 at 9:57 am

Good Morning Chips! Good Morning TOD Family!

Can’t wait for the Prez’s and Michelle’s appearances today. Love that pic of FLOTUS. Too much positive anticipation to get bogged down in media deconstruction again today. They’re doing what they’ve been doing for years.

Have a great day, everyone :-D .

24. October 25, 2011 at 10:05 am

Chips, how in the world do you do all of this! I could keep busy all day just reading everything here, if I didn’t have to work. Thank you so much for all that you do.

25. 104 dotster3
    October 25, 2011 at 10:11 am

I see Obama joked last night about his gray hair and how he had aged 7 years for each one as pres., saying “these president years are like dog years.”

• 105 Sue in Minnesota
      October 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm

And I think he gets more beautiful with every passing day. Inside to outside he is a beautiful human being.

October 25, 2011 at 10:17 am

Go check out Steve Benen this morning…all the talk about Herman Cain’s bizzare ad with the smoking man that looks like Peter Sellers….everyone is wondering why the crazy ? I think I read the reason why…Cain was a lobbyist. FOR THE TABACCO INDUSTRY! He’s saying “If I win, I got your back!” Another creepy dog whistle for big money corporations….Let’s hear how the Republicans spin this…after all, they were all “so concerned” about the President’s smoking:) Assholes.

27. 109 blondegrrl
    October 25, 2011 at 10:20 am

Good policy discussion from Joseph E. Gagnon, the economist that Paul Krugman refers to in his latest opinion column:

October 25, 2011 at 10:38 am

Yes. I emailed that to the guy I’m having a “little” argument with ….a bit “heady” for most, but still good news.

28. October 25, 2011 at 10:20 am

for those in Chicago, the First Lady will be in town today.

she’ll be at the Walgreens at 75th and State

and also at

Iron Street Urban Farm

•3333 S. Iron St.

EEEEKKKKK

29. 112 LOL
    October 25, 2011 at 10:22 am

This is why the national media can kiss my arse…from the pool report yesterday.

N WEST L.A., POTUS STOPS AT ROSCOE’S HOUSE OF CHICKEN AND WAFFLES – “OTR” with member of Congressional Black Caucus — Pool report by Jackie Calmes: “Pool had to enter from the rear, to see booths full of early-dining families stretching and craning their necks excitedly to watch POTUS, who already was at the counter ordering for himself and nearby aides, including Valerie Jarrett, Jay Carney, David Plouffe and Marvin Nicholson. With him was Representative Karen Bass, the Democrat who represents the area in the House. Our camera colleagues say POTUS ordered the No. 9, ‘Country Boy’ – 3 wings with choice of waffle, potato salad or French fries … POTUS, coatless and shirt sleeves rolled, then walked to one side of the restaurant and greeted the diners in each vinyl-covered booth. After he’d shaken hands and chatted with a young African-American boy who looked to be about 10, and moved on, the boy turned to the white man he was dining with and said, ‘I’m never going to wash my hand again.’ For minutes afterward he continued to hold his left hand aloft, fingers spread, as his eyes followed POTUS around the room as if in wonder.

“It was a diverse crowd. POTUS moved to a second section, posing for cellphone photos with from one to six diners at a time, and then to a third, larger section to repeat the routine. … One man with a woman and two children said to them, ‘He sounds just like he does on TV!’ Later POTUS made his way to their table and the Latina girl of about 12 jumped up with a tablet for him to autograph. As the man (her father?) took a photo, he said, ‘If you work hard, you can be just like him.’ … The pool was ushered out and onto West Pico Blvd. … At one point we could hear chants of ‘4 more years!’ … Motorcade traveled a short distance by miles, a longer one by socioeconomic standards, to a manse in Hancock Park for the first fundraiser, at the home of James and Mai Lassiter.”

30. October 25, 2011 at 10:24 am

OMG, I saw that Politico box and I actually believed it for a second. Chips, you are too good.

Speaking of GOPolitico, they posted the pool report from yesterday. The reporter on duty was Jackie Calmes. Here are some excerpts:

(from Roscoe’s) “It was a diverse crowd. POTUS moved to a second section, posing for cellphone photos with from one to six diners at a time, and then to a third, larger section to repeat the routine. … One man with a woman and two children said to them, ‘He sounds just like he does on TV!’ Later POTUS made his way to their table and the Latina girl of about 12 jumped up with a tablet for him to autograph. As the man (her father?) took a photo, he said, ‘If you work hard, you can be just like him.’ … The pool was ushered out and onto West Pico Blvd. … At one point we could hear chants of ‘4 more years!’

PRESIDENT OBAMA, as he began his remarks at the funder: “[B]y the way, I want to excuse if anybody smells chicken on me. (Laughter.) We stopped at Roscoe’s on the way down. (Laughter.) I think I have a spot on my tie from the hot sauce.”

31. 129 TrumpDog
    October 25, 2011 at 10:26 am

I love that shirt First Lady Obama has on.

32. 131 Ladyhawke
    October 25, 2011 at 10:56 am

From the Office of Democratic Whip: Steny Hoyer

THE DAILY WHIP: TUESDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2011 (There are no votes on job creation)

======================================

The Daily Quote:

“President Barack Obama sought to ease the crunch by including $35 billion to prevent layoffs of police, firefighters and teachers in his $447 billion jobs package. But that big bill hit a GOP wall in Congress. Efforts to pass what Obama called “bite-sized pieces” of the big bill have stalled, too. Republicans don’t want to swallow them, regardless the serving size. Senate Republicans blocked the $35 billion installment late last week when Democratic leaders called it up as stand-alone legislation.”

- Washington Post, 10/24/11

======================================

33. 132 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 25, 2011 at 11:13 am

Write up on interview with Colbert. . . had to reference this section. . .

Huntsman has made a few headlines by poking fun at his rivals’ denial of climate change and by boycotting the most recent Republican debate, but his campaign has struggled to find any real momentum. No bother, Colbert’s got his back.

“Are you ready for the Colbert bump?” Colbert asked. “You may be at 2 percent. We’re gonna get you up to whole milk.”

• 133 utaustinliberal
      October 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

Colbert is HI-LARIOUS. When he said “You may be at 2%. We’re gonna get you up to whole milk.” His expression was so funny; I LMAO.

34. 134 Ladyhawke
    October 25, 2011 at 11:14 am

Jon Stewart Ridicules The GOP’s Criticism Of Obama Ending The War In Iraq

35. 135 MTmarilyn
    October 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

I saw this on twitter and I am concerned. Next Act In DC’s Kabuki Theater: House GOP Lays Trap For Obama On Jobs Plan, It’s an article on Talking Points about how the Teapubs have found a small portion of the AJA that they can pass and it is bad by itself. I don’t know how to imbed the article but it is headline on TPM. Can anyone tell me what they think.

Good morning TODville. It’s a beautiful cold fall day here in MT. Can’t wait to see the President everywhere.

• October 25, 2011 at 11:26 am

Here’s the link:

I think this is so transparent and not in the least effective because it has a lot of negatives attached to the outcome. I don’t see it as any sort of credible threat.

• 137 MTmarilyn
        October 25, 2011 at 11:45 am

I know they are trying to do anything negative they can. Thanks for the feedback.

• 138 Ladyhawke
        October 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Talking Points Memo (nostrils flaring, hair on fire, screaming very, very big headlines)

OMG cue the dramatic music for the nefarious GOP jobs trap. I read some of the comments at the post and thought these two were interesting…..

GOP PLAYING DEFENSE??

memekiller

I think everyone is missing the biggest story here: Obama has the GOP playing defense. If you had told me a few months ago the GOP. The fact thy are forced to accept the most Republican of Obama’s proposals rather than being told we’d have to swallow more GOP failed policy as a lesser of two evils is just evidence of how effective Obama’s better-late-than-never offense for good policy shows how much the terrain has changed.

JUST EXPOSE THE GOP TRAP TO THE PUBLIC

wellstone

dablues Take a look at the polls and you see how effective the messaging over the last six weeks has been for Obama and the Dems.

I say we turn the tables on the trap, publicize it, and let the public know just what the GOPigs are doing.

America is showing signs of losing their ready acceptance for GOPig messaging, let’s press that advantage.

The GOPig ship runs on messaging fuel. Their policies are so toxic to the middle class and working classes, they are never accepted when people fully understand them.

But they’ve been so successful in creating Message for the low-education voters who love the talking points they focus-test and package for them that they can repeat FOX noise talking points verbatim on cue.

If we make them blow up their messaging (“Cut, Cap, and Balance”) fuel, they will be dead in the water.

• October 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I think that there isn’t a teapub born or yet to be born that can “trap’ PBO because they don’t know what league they are playing in. There is a great deal I don’t know about the world, but there is one thing I do know –underestimate Barack Obama at your own risk.

36. 141 Me4obama
    October 25, 2011 at 11:49 am

Since Perry is going on the offensive against Romney, I think Mittens is NOT going to be the GOP nominee as I have always believed. Perry is going to play dirty until the end.

• 142 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      October 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Mittens will be the GOP nominee. The Koch bros, Karl Rove, and the MSM will see to it. In their minds a hibitual FLIP/FLOPPER is gives them a better chance to win than deranged pshychotics. :cool:

37. 143 Me4obama
    October 25, 2011 at 11:51 am

I think Jay Leno is going to ask the President about the Kardashians. Too bad that will be the headline everywhere.

• 144 Sue in Minnesota
      October 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I think our President will come through with flying colors. I don’t know about everyone here, but if I had daughters Malia and Sasha’a ages I wouldn’t want them watching the Kardashians either. Celebrity doesn’t sway me, unless it’s George Clooney, but he is a man of substance IMO .

• October 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’ve never watched that show and I despise the media creation that is that whole family but i’m guessing the content of their show must be considered “adult”, no? I’m sure young girls are curious because they are seen as role models for wealth and exposure but GAH, they are pitiful examples.

• 146 MsKitty
        October 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Considering that the family has parlayed their fame from a home sex tape of Kim that was “accidentally” released several years ago, they definitely wouldn’t be considered role models for young girls. What I find especially sad is that mom Kris is starting to (for lack of a better word) pimp out the two younger daughters she had with Bruce Jenner. They can’t be more than 13-14 years old and she already has them strutting runways and attending premieres wearing provocative clothes and stilettos.

38. 147 nintendowii10
    October 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Regarding the media and the Republicans saying President Obama will lose, IMO let them run their mouths and let us work hard to prove them wrong; isn’t that what we did back in 2008?

The media has NEVER accepted that Barack Obama defeated Hillary Clinton AND John McCain, that is why they’ve pushed the nontroversy with his birth certificate and keep on inviting Michael Moore, Arianna HuffnPuff, Glenn Greenwald, Maxine Waters, and all these other emoprog libertarians as “Obama’s base” to rant and rave about how he’s a sellout. They want a President Romney because they know they won’t have to put in the work of supporting Democrats and a Democratic President.

It’s clear the Republicans and the right wing spinners are mad that their candidates SUCK, that is why they are attacking President Obama. Instead of going crazy everytime a Republican or emoprog attacks Obama, we should make a donation to his campaign and just brush those attacks off. There’s a reason why Republicans are polling LOWER than President Obama, and that is because most of the electorate knows he’s not the root of the problem.

• October 25, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Totally, totally agree, Nin. It is so much better for the president if the real action goes on under the radar and they keep making stupid predictions. More people are beginning to see through the media shenanigans and the lies of the right. The ranks of OFA are growing and so are the re-elect dollars. The media has NEVER been on PBO’s side. Our biggest challenge is not to let them distract or demoralize us, but to work harder and give more.

39. 149 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    October 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm

OUR ‘ENERGIZER BUNNY’ PREZ. ALWAYS EXHIBITS SUCH DETERMINATION AND PERSEVERANCE! FIRED UP AND ALWAYS READY TO GO! OUR FIRST LADY IS SO BEAUTIFUL…INSIDE AND OUT! AMERICA IS BLESSED TO HAVE THEM IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

40. October 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Oh, this is priceless. A pro-DOMA group is using photos of a 2008 PBO crowd in their ads to make it look like their own rally:

These guys are pathetically hilarious.

41. 156 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm

These idiots are so low. . .
    Pro-DOMA group uses photos of 2008 Obama crowd in ads to make it look like their rally:

42. 157 Ladyhawke
    October 25, 2011 at 12:45 pm

MEDIA MATTERS: A must see documentary about Republican Party sabotage. Please tweet far and wide.

Political Correction interviewed former White House economist Jared Bernstein (now with the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities), Demos director Heather McGee, and the Economic Policy Institute’s John Irons, who explained how Republican policies are sabotaging the economy.

Sabotage: The Story Behind The Republican Party’s “Top Political Priority”

====================================

Congressional Republicans won’t admit it, but President Obama’s proposed American Jobs Act is popular — with voters and economists alike.
    So why are Republicans rejecting popular ideas they used to support in favor of right-wing policies that simply will not create jobs?

It’s difficult to escape the conclusion that Republicans have made a political calculation that requires opposition to any policy that could improve the economy in the near term. A major compromise is not likely to sit well with the Tea Party base, whose enthusiastic support will be vital if Republicans are going to achieve Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-KY) stated top priority of beating Obama in 2012. After all, a bipartisan agreement might help the GOP’s historically low approval rate, but it would also bolster the president’s image as a pragmatic leader while giving his re-election prospects a boost in the form of a better economy.

Of course, the GOP’s behavior is not a recent development. It is a continuation of almost three years of obstructing economic progress while adopting a “so be it” attitude toward the negative impact of their own policies.

===================================

43. 158 Linda
    October 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Glen Greenwald has a thread up on HuffingtonFluff.

Not one comment in 3 hours except mine which of course will never make it past the moderation

giggle

44. October 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm

GOP seems to be waving the white flag in the Ohio Union Buster prop vote that goes to the voters in two weeks time. Current polling has it 55-35 or there abouts, and anecdotal reports have the “yes” vote (for stripping bargaining rights) television ad campaign running less and less ads. Now we have this from ThinkProgress –

Right-Wing Radio Host Blasts Ohio Gov. Kasich, Urges Ohioans To Vote Down Anti-Labor Law | Ohio right-wing radio host Bill Cunningham is taking a surprising stance on GOP Gov. John Kasich’s (R) anti-workers’ rights law, Senate Bill 5, which will face a referendum come Nov. 8. Cunningham, a Rush Limbaugh disciple, recently recorded a message blasting the “rock-red Republican conservative” Kasich for failing to meet with the labor unions over the elimination of their collective bargaining rights, saying “he was wrong.” “From my perspective, those affected by governmental decisions need to have a place at the bargaining table to determine the outcome of what’s being discussed,” he said.
    “The best Americans I know are cops, firefighters, and teachers. They’re reasonable and they’re good people,” he added, urging Ohioans to vote no on Issue 2 (which would repeal the law).

So knowing it’s going down spectacularly, rock-ribbed Republicans are coming out against it, but because of the process Kasich used. I guess this is their plan to lessen the political message a sound defeat would have potentially reverberated. Or it’s an attempt to kiss and make up with Union Republicans in hopes they come back to the fold come 2012. Probably both.

There is another issue potentially heading to a referendum vote – the Ohio redistricting/gerrymandering. Ohio Supreme Court will allow it to be challenged meaning if the Dems get enough signatures for it their redistricting will be up to the courts to decide which could be good for 2-3 more Dem seats in Congress. Maybe this kiss and make up with Republican Union members is an attempt to keep their names/signatures off the redistricting petitions. Let’s hope these union members are not so easily fooled.

• 163 PoliticalJunkessa
      October 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Good.

If democrats were smart and organized, they would take a page from right wing politics and load up the ballot with initiatives next year that work in favor of working families and get them to the polls with enthusiasm.

• October 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I think OWS has the GOP spooked. In addition to Pres. Obama taking it to the people, the script has been flipped and the discussion is about jobs and Wall Street greed. Dems are looking much more populist and the GOP can’t lose the GOP Union member vote in the rust belt states. Rove is telling folks the OWS message is reverberating and you have third way types telling Obama and Dems to stay away from OWS and anti-Wall St message – because it’s changing the political climate.

Cantor was going to give a speech about wealth disparity last week, now you have Paul Ryan giving a speech on political divisiveness tomorrow. You also have McConnell whining for Pres. Obama to stop with the speeches and bus tour and get back to Washington to negotiate with them because they know the polling is strongly against them. On Sunday McConnell lamented being the villian, and downplayed his “My only objective is to make Pres. Obama a one-term President” by saying to the effect “Hey, I’m the opposition party, that’s what I’m supposed to say”. The GOP is flailing around a bit and I think they’re going to try and become the party of “uniting and compromise” now that Pres. Obama, Dems have taken a more confrontational tone and OWS is garnering a lot of press and energy.

We’ll need to counter Ryan’s speech tomorrow about not pitting Americans against each other/workig together by highlighting his very own budget that gave more tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires on the backs of the old, poor and disabled. GOP seems to think it’s only class warfare when the 99% fight back.

• 165 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
          October 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

:roll: Some things never change. They are desperately trying to change the narrative. Even with their constant Rightwing Fascist saturation in the media they are still way behind the 8 ball in the POLLS. Flipping the script now will only make them more transparent. We have been witnessing their relentless obstruction for 3 years. How can anyone in their right mind believe what is going to come out of McConnell, Ryans, and Cantor’s mouths now. HONESTSLY!!!! :???:

• 166 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      October 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for this report SR. I have worked with OFA Ohio and the Ohio Democratic party for this result. Fascist Governor Kasich is one of the least liked Governors in the nation. Even more hated than Florida’s Rick Scott if that is possible.

Our task is not done. We are still working on GOTV. As a matter of fact I will be canvassing on Thursday. We are also gearing up for the 2012 election. My GOD I hope the Dems nationwide can capitalize off of the Teapublican over reach and the electorate’s dissatisfaction with it. I can only hope. Dems are prone to being their own worse enemies and screwiing things up. Hopefully we won’t miss this golden opportunity. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!!!

• October 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Definitely gotta run across the finishline. I only hope the Repub union members will not fall back into their usual voting patterns now that “their issue” has been dealt with. We’ll need their signatures to bring the gerrymander redistricting to a vote amd will need their votes in 2012 and beyond.

What is the feeling you’re getting on the ground with these folks – the Republican voting union families – have they been waken up to the Republican Party being against them, or is it a case of Kasich over-reaching but they’re still loyal Republicans otherwise?

• 168 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
          October 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm

There is a lot of frustration with the Republican base. They want a Reagan-like messiah to appear on the national scene and it ain’t gonna happen with Mitt, Perry, or Cain. They are angry at the attack on their freedoms to bargain for better wages and working conditions. It is obvious to everyone that Kasich and the Teapuplicans like him across the country totally overlooked that they would be effecting large portions of their own base with these fanatical laws being passed. No, Republican union workers are not happy.

I get a sense that they believe it is Kasich overreach, but if the right Conservative candidate comes along who expresses their beliefs and values they will stay Red. Dems can still capitalize on their discontent and at least bring some of them and conserva Indies and Dems to our side in the 2012 election. It is very possible seeings how their options are limited. Thanks for asking. :wink: