Oct

‘our best energy president in decades’

Michael Webber (Chron.com): As Republican presidential candidates like Gov. Rick Perry tout their energy plans, they would do well to study our best energy president in decades: President Obama.

Advocates for the U.S. energy industry routinely say they wish President Obama would pursue pro-growth energy policies. Well, he has been, and not just for the likes of fallen green giants like Solyndra. Under Obama, the traditional U.S. energy sector is flourishing. The domestic energy sector is experiencing its largest growth since the halcyon days of the 1950s and 1960s. As importantly, we’re growing in the right directions.

For the first time in decades, we are seeing sustained increases in U.S. oil production and decreases in oil consumption, which means imports are dropping.

U.S. domestic oil production is up an incredible 14 percent since Obama took office. A few years ago we imported nearly two-thirds of our petroleum products. Today we import less than half. The reduction in imports means tens of billions of dollars now stay in our own economy.

But it’s not just oil: dry natural gas production is up 16 percent, natural gas liquids are up 26 percent, solar generation is up 14 percent and wind generation is up 59 percent. Even production of coal – supposedly the main target of Obama’s policies – is flat over that same time period. There are even headlines blaring that U.S. refining capacity is at the highest point in decades, exceeding levels achieved under recent Republican administrations. All of this growth produces royalties and taxes to address our budget challenges.

….. In light of all the bad news about partisan debt fights, maybe we can all celebrate the good news that U.S. energy policy – against all odds – is finally reaping significant rewards for all of us. Our Energy President deserves a fair share of the credit.

Full article here

More at politicususa

More at The American Prospect

195 Responses to “‘our best energy president in decades’”

October 30, 2011 at 7:19 pm

But, but, but…

October 30, 2011 at 7:27 pm

My goodness when the election season begins in earnest and PBO and his team begin to roll out all their accomplishments second by second; he’ll be frigging unbeatable. This is twitterific news.

• October 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

The sad part ut is that there are a lot of knuckle-dragging, mouth breathing, flat-landers that would rather leave their warm caves and live in a swamp. They’d rather their fires go out than go a short distance to get some dry wood…..So sad. :-(

• October 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

My sentiments exactly, Ut. I can’t wait for the campaign to begin. This is the time when PBO will be talking to someone/person directly answering for the GOP as candidate. These people won’t know what hit them. In conjunction we will be working our tushes off to spread the good word on why PBO and not whoever.

3. 5 Bobfr
    October 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    ‘Our best energy president in decades’ http://theobamadiary.com/2011/10/30/our-best-energy-president-in-decades/ Substance over slogan, time & again. #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether #OBAMA2012

Thank you, Chipsticks!

#PRESSON

• October 31, 2011 at 9:43 am

Bobfr~leadership from the top down is evident by the policies which originate from the Oval office. Case in point:

The algae biofuel industry is still in its infancy but the U.S. Navy is already planning ahead for a robust future. Earlier this year, the Navy successfully tested a 50-50 algae aviation biofuel blend on a Seahawk helicopter in flight, and now an algae biodiesel blend has passed muster during tests on a 135-foot landing vessel. The ship, a conventional Landing Craft Utility (LCU) 1600-class, went through its paces earlier this month using a marine fuel blend composed of one-half algae biodiesel and one-half NATO standard multi-purpose naval fuel, called F-76….As with the Seahawk helicopter algae biofuel demonstration, the LCU tests show that an algae biofuel blend can be used as a drop-in replacement for conventional fuel, without the need for any modifications to the engine, fuel tanks or exhaust system.

~snip~

All of this activity has its roots in a 2010 Memorandum of Understanding between the Department of the Navy and the U.S. Department of Agriculture to promote the development of the domestic biofuel industry. When the Memorandum of Understanding was announced, Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus made it clear that the biofuel industry would be called upon to play a critical role in future national defense, stating: “In order to secure the strategic energy future of the United States, create a more nimble and effective fighting force and protect our planet from destabilizing climate changes, I have committed the Navy and Marine Corps to meet aggressive energy targets that go far beyond previous measures.”

~snip~

4. 7 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I’ve been a little under the weather this weekend so I decided to go for the “sympathy donation”. It worked :)

9 donations for $160.00.

Thanks to everyone @ TOD who donated this weekend.

• October 30, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Hey donna dem. I’ve been a bit behind on things lately. Congrats again on your donation challenge. By the way, have you had that chat with the President?

5. October 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Hi Chipsticks,

I was just on barackobama.com and I saw a post by someone who was upset with the President. So I wrote him a message via facebook and told him this:

“Donnie you don’t know me but I saw your comment on barackobama.com and I am truly saddened by your comments. I also sympathize with you that you cannot find employment. But change is hard and if you think it’s bad now if the Republicans take control again the USA will truly tank! Remember they are the ones that put America in the mess its in right now. I know I may not be able to change your mind about President Obama but don’t give up on him yet.”

Please look at this video:

I really hope he does look at the Jake Lamar video.

• October 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Thumbs up, Donna! I truly believe that one-on-one responses like yours make a difference in the long run even when we don’t see the results. If nothing else, Donnie knows that someone heard and acknowledged his cry. Way to go! :cool:

• 13 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      October 31, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Donna terrific work. It frightens me that there are still lots of voters who don’t know who is keeping unemployment very HIGH. It is unnerving. During the heat of the campaign I hope the Dems make it clear. I know there seems to be some penetration through the lies of the MSM. We here on the ground and internet just gotta keep pluggin away. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!

6. 14 Lorraine
    October 30, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I saw Ambassador Rooney at the Steelers vs New England game. Go Steelers!!!!! :-)

7. 17 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2011 at 7:59 pm

THE 2010 MIDTERMS: GOP “BAIT AND SWITCH”

GOP Holds America Hostage By Denying Jobs Today for Elections Tomorrow

===================================

President Obama in a recent radio interview addressed this very concern, “The truth is, we can no longer wait for Congress to do its job. The middle-class families who’ve been struggling for years are tired of waiting. They need help now. So where Congress won’t act, I will.”

That is exactly what the middle class needs today. Unfortunately many of the GOP candidates and current Republican politicians seem inclined to insist that the best time to address the need for jobs and economic stimulus is next year, after the elections. Seriously though, do they think that we the people should have to prove ourselves to them when we are the ones that voted them in last time? Should we have to reinforce their position before they come through on their previous campaign promises? Why should we believe that the GOP will do something after the next election, when they have refused to do something after the elections in 2010?

Rick Tope from Las Vegas made the point eloquently for the Las Vegas Sun, Saturday, “During the 2010 election, Republican congressional candidates promised that if they were elected they would “get America working again” and promote legislation to create jobs. And how did they follow through after the election? Not one of them introduced any legislation that would create a job. Not only that, but Republicans have blocked several jobs bills that have been introduced by the president.”

===================================

8. 18 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 30, 2011 at 8:12 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1000 Americans Spell Out “TAX THE 1%” on San Francisco bEACH

9. 24 DoNoHarm
    October 30, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I fell for it, at my age. An email from: @foramerica.org, and ‘allowed’ posting on my FB. Their email looked like the Progressive’s site email. Damn and all that. It’s a dirtbag, sleaze R/Tp scam. Be wary.

10. 25 vero804
    October 30, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Uh oh…hot off the presses. The powers that be are trying REAL hard to prevent Cain from winning the repub primary.

Exclusive: Two women accused Herman Cain of inappropriate behavior

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67194.html#ixzz1cJVnvZni

• 26 donna dem 4 obama
      October 30, 2011 at 8:29 pm

We knew it was just a matter of time. The establishment Republicans were getting nervous with Iowa growing closer. They had to knock him off his pedestal. He was staying on top in the polls for a little longer than they were comfortable with.

October 30, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Yes, I was expecting the hammer to drop on Cain any minute now. The question is: Will this piece of news be enough to take him down?

• 28 vero804
        October 30, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Funny thing, after reading the “exclusive?” I don’t think it’ll matter. The Republican establishment has got to understand that the rank and file Repub voters DO NOT WANT ROMNEY. LOL. They better start getting Cain ready for prime time because I’m smelling an upset with him beating out Romney in the primaries.

October 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Huh? Cain would win the nomination? I mean I guess it could happen because of their utter distaste for Romney and Cain’s high numbers, but, on the other hand – I might as well be blunt – will Republicans really put up with running an African American for President? Nobody’s really mentioning that aloud on the teevee, but I just don’t see it. With all of the teafools around as voters? All the racist Republicans in the red states? All the racists in other parts of the country? Will they stand for both of the nominees of the two major parties being black men?

I mean – as a Democrat watching how far-left folks and others treated our nominee since immediately after he won in ’08 – I’m not even real sure how we got our very own President Obama elected at this point and he’s a political genius. Please excuse my insensitivity in writing this because it is not easy to hear in 2011 – much less write – but I can’t see this happening.

October 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Jacqueline, you asked: “will Republicans really put up with running an African American for President?”

Your question is being answered right now – this Politico story is part of that answer….

October 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I think you’re right. Not really a cynical person by nature, but I’m with the camp that thinks the GOP didn’t know how quickly Herb would catch on in the polls.

• 32 Obama Grandmama
            October 30, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I read somewhere that the GOP was speculating having Cain as a VP candidate could rob AA votes from Obama. I never heard the possibility of running him as the number one position. I wondered about it myself though.

• 33 Ladyhawke
      October 30, 2011 at 8:30 pm

OH DEAR, IS CAIN ABOUT TO GET THE HOOK?

The GOP wanted Herman Cain for cover to keep the racial issues at bay. But they didn’t plan on him polling better than the rest of the candidates in the clown car. Clearly, panic must be setting in. This is a fascinating development and the timing is very suspicious. As I have said before, I don’t think there will be enough popcorn to get us through the GOP primaries.

• 34 vero804
        October 30, 2011 at 8:39 pm

This is totally a sign of desperation on the part of the establishment. I think the Des Moines Iowa poll out this weekend, showing Cain ahead, freaked them out. This is a very credible poll, apparently.

• 35 Ladyhawke
          October 30, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I agree, I think the Des Moines Register poll was the last straw. That was not in the game plan. It freaked out the GOP. They are in full panic mode. We are essentially watching the implosion of the Republican Party. I think they are going to have to just reset to zero and start from scratch at some point. The damage is done. They have nothing to offer. They are not a credible opposition party. The party of NO and the DO NOTHING congress.

• 36 Obama Grandmama
            October 30, 2011 at 11:49 pm

My belief is PBO set a trap or formed a strategy whichever way you wish to call it. When he saw the opposition he decided to try to compromise at every turn and even ignorred his own party’s whining over it. He more than set it in everyone’s mind that he tried to work with the GOP. They more than painted themselves in a corner with the defeat Obama meme no matter what it takes. Then when they actually won the midterms on promising jobs and didn’t even try to create jobs and blocked his attempt that was the second point against them. Then PBO took it to the public to put pressure on the GOP and they called it campaigning. The GOP candidates for president do not present any different ideas they want to put forward other than the same give the rich more tax breaks, get rid of healthcare and regulations which are the same tired arguments that got us into the economic fix to start with. Unless the public are just plain stupid or GOP favoring at all costs I think the people will get it.

• 37 Desraye
          October 30, 2011 at 11:53 pm

He was leading by one point. I wouldn’t called that a lead.

• 38 vero804
        October 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I wrote you a response, but basically I agree that panic has set in and the timing and tenor of this piece (along with it being dropped in politico) says a lot about how the establishment is going to play against Cain.

October 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm

vero – I wrote you a response a little while ago, but I may have misread your post! Sorry, if I did.

October 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I echo your sentiments Ladyhawke..like you, I always thought that Cain was meant to be used as a placeholder for Romney and to neuter any attempts by PBO’s supporters to bring race into the equation. As is almost always the case with the GOP’s short-term tactics, this plan appears to be backfiring, with the publicity going to Cain’s head, and the Cainbots sniffing the Kochcain big time. By now his poll numbers should have started to go down, especially after the last GOP debate when his 999 plan was scrutinized and eviscerated by all the other candidates as well as the MSM punditry. Yet the Cain supporters appear fully addicted to that KochCain and it will require more than 30 days of rehab to wean them off him.

• October 30, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Smartypants had a good post yesterday about what’s up with the Republicans http://immasmartypants.blogspot.com/2011/10/republican-divide.html I recommend the read. I found most interesting that FreedomWorks has so much influence. If they endorse to keep Romney out of the race, then it could get very interesting. No thoughts on which candidate they would endorse, though.

• October 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Hey, vero! Hope all is well.

Cain clearly has skeletons. The Koch Bros are sweating his popularity and the fact that they are playing him too close to the edge. MARGIN CALL.

Like I said, this is nothing more than a book tour for him.

• 46 vero804
        October 30, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I think it started off as a book tour, but I’m sensing that he’s got tha presidential fever. He’s in it to win it – his own special way. I think the Repub establishment has not choice but to play it dirty…although I’m skeptical that it will work.

• October 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Not too far off in the distance, there’s Iowa. He’s been a good puppet until now. Not sure Iowans will warm to this kind of stuff. He may get ornery about it but if these allegations have legs – and so far his response has really been inadequate and damning – I think he’s done. All their frontrunners flame out because they are not only vacuous but they really have no discipline whatsoever. The GOP has nothing. Absolutely nothing.

• 48 vero804
            October 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Iowa Republican caucus goers are weirdos, though. They went for Huckabee, right? I think they like the unorthodox candidates.

How are you doing?

• October 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Sexual harassment is a weird beast. It will depend on the ethnicity and age of the alleged victims, I suppose. Irony is that tomorrow, Cain is in Washington. At the Natl Press Club.

I’m doing OK. Lots of challenges lately but carrying on. You? Are your brothers voting Dem?!!!

• 50 vero804
                October 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Cain is going to have such a chip on his shoulder, it’s gonna be funny.

I’m doing well…had to work all weekend, now watching Amazing Race with the b/f and sipping wine. I haven’t checked in on my brothers yet, there’s only one I’m most concerned with. I’ll check on him next year…best not to overdo it with the political talk! LOL.

• October 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I HEAR YOU on the family poli sci.

You always work so hard! Glad you’re taking a moment to relax. I’m looking forward to a glass of vino, Amazing Race and The Good Wife later.

Can’t believe our POTUS and FLOTUS. They are phenomenal. I’m actually fretting about missing them so much in 2016!!

• 52 vero804
                    October 30, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I know! I hope I continue being so passionate about politics after 2016, although I doubt it. There’s something about the Obamas. Doubt it will happen like this again.

Its a good episode of Amazing Race, so I hope you enjoy. I think I’m going to sign off now. Night!

• October 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

how much you wanna bet they’re blond with blue eyes

BWA HA HA HA HA HA

11. 56 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

The No-No-No plan??

• 57 Bobfr
      October 30, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
      @DavidCornDC That’s his inspiration for Nein-Nein-Nein, David @THEHermanCain plan: No-No-No. politico.com/news/stories/1…

#PRESSON

12. October 30, 2011 at 8:27 pm

LOL…too funny!!! LMAO @ NO-NO-NO plan….

The ..YES..YES..YES…plan coming soon from Cain camp already….tehehehehe

You can’t make this stuff up… lol Oh!! My Lord!!

13. October 30, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Marlz…thanks for that Tweet:-) This stuff about Cain..has me rolling down LOL

14. 64 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

HERMAN CAIN’S INTERVIEW ON “FACE THE NATION” (10/30/11)

=================================

15. 65 FiredUpInCA
    October 30, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Cain’s candidacy may not end well if this is going to be his approach to tough questions:

[Cain] was then asked, “Have you ever been accused, sir, in your life of harassment by a woman?”

He breathed audibly, glared at the reporter and stayed silent for several seconds. After the question was repeated three times, he responded by asking the reporter, “Have you ever been accused of sexual harassment?”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67194.html#ixzz1cJbZGNtn

The Quitta from Wasilla ushered in the era of not answering any questions you don’t like by labeling them all Gotcha Questions. If Cain is interested in following her path — out of politics — and into paid anti-Obamaism, then he’ll be fine.

If he’s interested in a career in national politics, he’s going to have to learn how to respond to legitimate questions and not just play to his fans.

16. 70 vero804
    October 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

The political folks I’m following on twitter are pushing the heck out of this Cain story…lol. Not a Cain fan, at all, but this is so obvious status quo shadiness.

• October 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

This story will be on the radio talk shows for sure, because they all seem to get their daily news from Poliotico. I don’t think it is going away immediately. :)

17. 72 Bobfr
    October 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    Looks like #PizzaCain & #FailedScotusThomas have something else in common politi.co/uR3jy6 No wonder they’re #KOCHMAFIA servants

Wonder if pervert Herman (you always knew it from that smile) will enjoy his time at the National Press Club tomorrow – or even show ….

#GOPPolitico must have gotten the word from Perry & Romney to unload the dirt …

#PRESSON

• 73 Ladyhawke
      October 30, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Bob, you just answered my question about the timing. I knew the GOP was getting nervous, but I did not know that Cain was scheduled to speak at the National Press Club tomorrow. What a perfect opportunity to start the take down. This is all everybody will be talking about tomorrow. Cain just got ambushed big time. He should know that politics for the GOP is a blood sport.

• October 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

He should know that politics for the GOP is a blood sport. Yes indeed Lady.hawke.
        The timing….not a coincidence?

• 75 Bobfr
        October 30, 2011 at 9:25 pm

In_deed, Ladyhawke! Timing is everything and I think the last place #PizzaCain will want to be is anywhere inside the Beltway tomorrow, especially the National Press Club – though I have ZERO empathy for the jerk.

Whatever remains of the ‘old guard’ GOP, they still have power and what they likely realize already is not that President Obama will be re-elected but how long it is going to take them to overcome a victory in 2012 that surpasses 1936. With Perry, Cain, Palin, Bachmann, etc as a candidate the ‘old guard’ likely estimates it could be half a century! They so need Romney (would have even been better for them it it was Huntsman) to be the candidate. Of course, he’ll lose to President Obama, but perhaps not the scale of shellacking that any of those other candidates would encounter & not the ‘coat tail’ effect that President Obama is going to have on those elected to the next Congress. They want Jeb to have some chance in 2016, but after 4 years as Senator from the State of Massachusetts, I put my money on Elizabeth Warren being the first female President of the US come 2017, no matter whom the #GOPFAIL run.

#YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

• 76 Ladyhawke
          October 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm

My biggest concern for 2012 is the coordinated voter suppression. The GOP war on voting. It’s against everything we stand for.

The future of the country rests on the re-election of President Obama and Democratic majorities in the House and Senate. When the light bulb goes on and the American people realize that President Obama’s foreign policy success is because he was able to implement his agenda without GOP obstruction – they will ask themselves just imagine what President Obama could have done on the domestic front with a congress that was willing to work with him.

The GOP did a bait and switch during the 2010 midterms. All they talked about was the importance of jobs jobs jobs. They got elected and then essentially told the American people to ‘talk to the hand’. So after sabotaging the economic recovery and obstructing everything President Obama wanted to do for the country – Again they are showing their disdain for the American people. Again they think they can pull yet another bait and switch for the 2012 elections. They have demonstrated that they are liars. And they have the nerve to think that they should still be rewarded in 2012 for sitting on the sidelines. They are the biggest threat to the well being of the country.

I love your analysis about Elizabeth Warren. She is a force to be reckoned with. You can just imagine the GOP saying who’s bright idea was it to block Elizabeth Warren’s appointment to the CFPB. I will be forever grateful to whoever made that decision.

• 80 Bobfr
        October 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
        #PizzaCain at the National Press Club tomorrow – Nien-Nien-Nien
        :D :D

#PRESSON

18. October 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I love the way David Plouffe pivoted off Gregory’s twice asked question: Does the President stand in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street? That’s how it is done. Ignore the question and state your message. Next.

19. October 30, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Bob…My thought exactly…Either they got word from Perry and Romney…or the Koch Bros..once they saw his polls rising, they had to stop it fast, by giving the go ‘ahead with the story to Politico…I believe Cain was just a face to cover racism and don’t think they expected his popularity with r/wingers. It will interesting to see how all this unfolds.

• 86 Bobfr
      October 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Indeed, kasai!

#YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

• October 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

kasai, they’ve been able to snuff out all the others so far, including The Quitter. My guess is still Romney and he has no chance of winning. Actually none of them do. I will of course still work very hard on the campaign but I know it’s all going to be about manufactured smears and dirty tricks. Ugly, demeaning and pointless.

20. October 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

JOAN! I’m just now realizing that you are back with us!! So glad you are done with that procedure and are in your own healing process. Thanks for showing us how it’s done. Take good care.

October 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Aren’t you glad the current WH occupant doesn’t have this nonsense to deal with? President Obama’s biggest “scandal” is when he said that Malia was 13 one week before her 13th birthday.

• 90 donna dem 4 obama
      October 30, 2011 at 9:32 pm

• 91 utaustinliberal
      October 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Exactly. But this Cain story sounds uber fishy. I don’t like the guy and his policies one iota but wow the head honchos must have been getting nervous that KochCain was rising, rising, rising, and now polling higher than Romney in Iowa according to the Des Moines Register that they put their feelers out and came up with inappropriate behavior with women. Really?? That’s the best they can do? Just lame.

22. October 30, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I don’t care what the men behind the curtains do, they will now have to hang their hats on “No Core Romney”, who will say the grass is blue and the sky is green, just to get elected.

23. 101 collegekay
    October 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm

A sweet reminder.

October 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Now Cain harassment story has traveled to TPM….wonder why he’s easing back on his “campaign”?

25. October 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

There’s a fun show on channel H2 right now called “It’s Good to be President.”

The description is: ” The life of the US president is explored, focusing on daily tasks outside of the political arena, and the perks and dangers that go with the job.”

I’ve already seen some good, candid footage of PBO. Looks hectic inside the Oval Office…

October 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm

ROFLMAO!!! I guess Tweety is taking a page from this guy’s book. Here is a youtube holiday video someone titled “Merry Christmas obama ROCK jingle bells.” The video has 4:35 minutes of Santa playing jingle bells on a guitar.

So, can someone tell us where in the video they see anything has to do with our President?

27. 116 halo
    October 30, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love that PBO is just pressing onwards with what he promised. I hate that he has LAME surrogates minus David Plouffe. George Clooney was right when he said that if PBO was a Republican, they would be selling him as the greatest President ever. Nobody speaks up for PBO and the media and PL just continues to be gloom and doom everyday.

With regards to natural gas, I hope we’re being careful about fracking.

• 117 Lorraine
      October 30, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Stephanie Cutter is going to Chicago to be the Deputy manager of the campaign. She is wonderful!!! She eat Chuckie Todd’s lunch last week on The Daily Rundown. Every time I see Todd, I realize what a jewel the journalism community had in Mr. Tim Russert. Where is Luke anyway? His been off the air for awhile, I miss him. Also, Ax has been on fire!! I’m sure Morning Joke doesn’t want anymore of him.

• 120 utaustinliberal
      October 30, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’m going to have to pushback on that ERRONEOUS statement halo. President Obama does NOT have lame surrogates at all. Where have you been? Robert Gibbs is ALWAYS fantastic on Morning Joe or any of the sunday talk shows. Stephanie Cutter is brilliant. She practically licks Chuck Todd’s chops everytime he interviews her. David Plouffe is phenomenal. Valerie Jarett is one of a kind. Melody Barnes is awesome. Kathleen Sebelius is wonderful. David Axelrod is a genius. Jay Carney is unmatched. Josh Earnest is a sweetheart with a mind like a steel trap. Austan Goolsbee is an economic wunderkind. Larry Summers practically mopped the floor with Karl Rove’s turd blossom behind when he debated him on C-SPAN. Rahm Emanuel defends PBO to the death. I could go on and on and on and on. So please, before you make blanket statements that have no basis in fact, I would urge you to watch the above mentioned surrogates and many more in their various tv and print appearances where they defend PBO and his accomplishments with FACTS.

October 30, 2011 at 10:24 pm

From Twitter:

October 30, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m getting a tingle up my leg!!!

October 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Alright there Tweety! And I’m hoping this executive order is to cut the entire government in half, bring all troops home by next week and reverse all civil rights laws.

• 126 utaustinliberal
          October 30, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Getting an early start on being Ron Paul huh?

I bet the announcement is about how PBO wants to take away our civil liberties and healthcare rights. Please donate to my fundraiser to keep PBO honest and make sure he adheres to true liberal principles. Brought to you by Jane Hamsher.

29. 131 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

They are having fun on Twitter using – #CainTourBusName

30. 133 symmetry11
    October 30, 2011 at 10:53 pm

PBO is heading to France next week…
    Obama to pitch economic program at Group of 20 summit – http://wapo.st/vWVGz1

31. 134 Me4obama
    October 30, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Goodnight Family. I have mixed Opinions about this Herman Cain political Bombshell, I will reserve my thoughts until I get more details. But I feel something fishy is going on.

32. October 30, 2011 at 11:50 pm

The President is scheduled to sign another executive order Monday at 2.

33. October 31, 2011 at 12:01 am

By Mike Lillis – 10/30/11 04:41 PM ET
    Following criticism from GOP leaders, House Democrats are rallying behind President Obama’s $447 billion proposal to stimulate the economy and create jobs — even if it’s not going anywhere.

More than 90 lower-chamber Democrats have officially endorsed the president’s jobs bill in the past week – a stark jump over a short span that came after Democratic leaders welcomed members to sign on at the party’s weekly caucus meeting last Tuesday.

• 137 CTGirl
      October 31, 2011 at 12:11 am

SMH at these Dems … finally! It is just pathetic that our president has so little support from the Dems. They need to watch the Repubs and learn!

• October 31, 2011 at 7:19 am

Better late than never. Now they have to go out and push the jobs proposal–everybody singing the same tune and backing the R’s into a corner.

• October 31, 2011 at 10:52 am

Jackie~ this experiment may help to garner support for the President’s jobs proposal…

In California, the food stamps program, called SNAP, provides its recipients a total of $136.75 per month per person for food. That averages out to roughly $4.50 per day. In today’s economy, about one in seven Americans live on food stamps. According to SNAP’s website, to qualify, a person must have an income of less than $908 per month. SNAP covers all raw foods, including produce, dairy, meat and packaged foods, but it does not cover food consumed onsite, hot foods, cigarettes or alcohol.

California Congresswoman, Jackie Speier, D-San Francisco/San Mateo, will participate in a food stamps challenge in which she will eat on a food budget of $4.50 a day for five days. Her office states, ”with the poverty rate in the U.S. at a historic high of over 15 percent, she wants to experience firsthand how a growing number of Americans are forced to live in this tough economy.”

To put it in perspective, the average person spends about $10 per day on food.

~snip~

• 141 prettyfoot58
      October 31, 2011 at 10:20 am

Goood Morning…my TODers…

now that they know they do not have to back it up….it is safe to jump on the bandwagon…i would have more respect for them if they have co-sponsored the bill when it was first introduced in the house….but….alas…it better late than never…

Jovie…would you know where i can find out who the johnny-come-lately representatives are?

Presssssssssssssssssss ON

34. October 31, 2011 at 12:11 am

US seeks Pakistani aide to help broker PEACE in Afghanistan!

Wouldn’t that be something?
    Republicans are freaking out now!

35. October 31, 2011 at 12:17 am

Gee whizz-
    mass got 30 inches of wet snow, 3 million without power up there.
    National guard called in by the Governor!

36. October 31, 2011 at 1:21 am

Every day on politico a story on who Obama is losing.
    Today, on Ben Smiths remainders- Obama might lose coalition that elected him.

Just a different way of saying- Obama losing his base, Jews, AA , young voters, Hispanics the elderly and on and on. Same story, different way of saying it, every fucking day.

Yawn!

37. 148 donna dem 4 obama
    October 31, 2011 at 1:27 am

Geraldo Blasts Herman Cain’s Spokesman During Call-In For Not Denying Sexual Harassment Claims

This is pathetic. Cain is cooked!!!

38. 149 Bobfr
    October 31, 2011 at 2:08 am

Well, was pleased that Urban Dictionary accepted my submission of Newstainer a few months back so decided to offer a second submission:

Submission under review

Your entry is under review by editors.
    Swiftbaking
    Karl Rove, Bush clan wood-fired, rapid toasting of #PizzaCain accomplished by stuffing him in the Clarence Thomas sexual abuse of women oven & having #GOPolitico push the fire alarm button.
    ‘Swiftbaking” has now been reported by GOPolitico regarding Herman #PizzaCain’s abuse of women during his tenure as a DC insider lobbyist for the national restaurant association.
    by Our4thEstate on Oct 30, 2011

tags: deepdishcain, switfbake, rovebakedcain, bushiesdeepdishcain, mittsoven

We’ll see if they like it :)

#PRESSON

39. 152 Bobfr
    October 31, 2011 at 2:24 am

Don’t want to violate copyright so I’m only going to post the first 3 paragraphs:

Even Worse Than Citizens United

“The Justice Department is right to defend as essential the century-old ban on direct corporate contributions to political candidates for federal office. In a brief to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the lawyers challenge a wrongheaded ruling by Judge James Cacheris of Virginia, arguing that the ban serves the government’s strong interest in preventing political corruption.

In the Citizens United case, the Supreme Court said corporations and other organizations could make unlimited independent expenditures in political campaigns. But the court said it was not overturning the ban on direct corporate contributions to candidates’ campaigns.

Flouting that precedent, Judge Cacheris ruled that the “logic” of “Citizens United requires that corporations and individuals be afforded equal rights to political speech, unqualified.” He also flouted a 2003 Supreme Court case upholding the ban on direct corporate donations. Judge Cacheris has no basis for rejecting those two decisions, which bind the lower courts until the Supreme Court overturns them.”

Tweet, FB, email, do whatever you can to get this message to every person you know.

I have proposed a ‘litmus test’ for EVERY 2012 Congressional Candidate:

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    Litmus test for ALL 2012 Congressional candidates – Repeal Gramm-Leach-Bliley & Overturn Citizens United – Yes or No. Crush the #KOCHMAFIA

Hope all of you support it and push it.

#YesWeCanDOMoreTogether

40. 153 RosesforObama
    October 31, 2011 at 2:52 am

Hi Chipsticks – you did it again! I just love Your choice of illustration for “our best energy president in decades”

41. October 31, 2011 at 6:10 am

I just got “A Singular Woman” for my 55th birthday.

What a book – it reeled me right back to my university days (75-82) and the spirit of cooperation with Indonesia, in stead of the we-know-what’s-good-for-you Green Revolution.

What a woman, indeed !

• 155 Ladyhawke
      October 31, 2011 at 6:26 am

Thanks for the feedback Toon Moene. I have that book too, I just have not gotten around to reading it yet. My Obama library is really expanding. You just reminded me of another book I have been meaning to order. Are you aware of this one:

Surviving against the Odds: Village Industry in Indonesia

S. Ann Dunham , Maya Soetoro-Ng

• 157 MTmarilyn
      October 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

I read “A Singular Woman” and loved it. Have passed it on to many people. Stanley Ann was an amazing woman. Having grown up in Kansas I could relate to the first part of the book. After reading the book you do understand the President alittle more. He has quite the heritage.

42. October 31, 2011 at 6:24 am

Cool Chips. I see that you have reduced the no.of entries in FP. Now the peak memory usage in Firefox has come down by nearly half to about 280 MB from the previous peak of 450-500 MB.

43. October 31, 2011 at 7:45 am

Federal agencies are buying more hybrid vehicles, installing energy-efficient light bulbs and using rainwater to hydrate outdoor landscaping as part of the Obama administration’s goals of reducing the government’s carbon footprint.

[Some content could not be displayed on this device]

Dozens of federal agencies — from the Pentagon to the Smithsonian — plan to release progress reports Monday on what they’re doing to reduce the government’s carbon footprint after President Obama ordered them to do so back in 2009. Since then, the White House has said that the government is aiming to cut its greenhouse gas emissions by 28 percent by 2020.

But much of the planning is aspirational — agencies say they plan to make changes if funding eventually becomes available, or are in the process of making changes that won’t be completed for several years. And many of the plans are dual-purposed because they’re also helping agencies meet White House goals to save money on office supplies, to increase the use of telework among federal employees, or to consolidate or cancel government building leases to save money.

Here are some examples of what four departments — Defense, Homeland Security, Interior and the Environmental Protection Agency — have done or plan to do in the coming year:

DEFENSE DEPARTMENT:

44. October 31, 2011 at 8:07 am

“Despite their best efforts, none of the Republicans are in the same league with the President when it comes to the successful use of Twitter”

I dont think any of the GOP have even quarter of a million followers (I think all of them are under 200,000), unlike PBO’s 10.8 million lol

45. October 31, 2011 at 8:13 am

The house of Republicans are doing a bill on Tuesday that will definitely put angels back to work-
    (In God we trust bill)…

Gabriel and michael the arch angel, are lobbying hard!

46. October 31, 2011 at 8:49 am

Jet magazine turns 60 this week, so, Desiree Rogers put her old boss on the cover- titled- living the Dream…

October 31, 2011 at 9:06 am

Oh boy…Cain must really be threat to someone in the GOP primary. Suddenly…all the “news” to get him out of the race…

48. October 31, 2011 at 9:12 am

As President Obama tries to explain in small, broken down paragraphs to the allegedly reading-impaired Republicans in congress why they should pass the American Jobs Act, the American people on the ground are telling them as well. Every Occupy movement across the country is protesting the lack of economic opportunity – the lack of jobs.

~snip~

Passing the President’s Jobs Act would just be part one of addressing the Occupiers’ demands. We’ve discussed the other four earlier; amounting to regulations, campaign finance reform, reversal of Citizens United, separation of banking industries from riskier ventures, and scrubbing the blatant propaganda of lies out of our “news”.

~snip~

49. October 31, 2011 at 9:21 am

Americans’ urge to shop is overriding anxiety about the economy. While household-sentiment measures are at levels typically observed during a recession, an increase in spending during the third quarter boosted growth to the highest level of the year, Commerce Department figures showed Oct. 27. The schism partly reflects consumer ire with the government’s failure to reduce 9.1 percent unemployment or stem rising deficits, said James Paulsen, chief investment strategist at Minneapolis-based Wells Capital Management.

“Emotionally based indicators are suspect,” Paulsen said. “There is a lot of anger out there. In a calmer time, these indicators might provide a better guide. Consumers are scared to death, but they are still spending.”

~snip~

The surveys also may be somewhat less useful now because wealth is more concentrated, said Omar Saad, an analyst at International Strategy and Investment Group Inc. in New York. The top 20 percent of income earners, who make more than $100,000 a year, may account for more than half of household spending, and they are under-represented in the confidence gauges, he said.

~snip~

October 31, 2011 at 9:27 am

AND he had to deal with Republicans that decided NOT to work for their paychecks!

51. October 31, 2011 at 9:29 am

October 31, 2011 8:45 AM

Fallout from the Cain controversy

By Steve Benen

Facebook Twitter Digg Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious

Herman Cain allegedly sexually harassed two female employees during his tenure as head of the National Restaurant Association, and both women received financial settlements that prevent them from speaking on the subject. If true, it’s obviously unacceptable behavior and speaks to the character — or perhaps lack thereof — of this leading Republican presidential candidate.

I can’t speak to whether the allegations are accurate — the Politico report certainly seems well sourced and documented — but it’s been fascinating to watch the trajectory of the Cain campaign’s response. Cain, for example, didn’t deny the charges. A Cain campaign statement didn’t deny the charges. A Cain spokesperson appeared on Fox News and didn’t deny the charges.

The Associated Press eventually got a denial, but it wasn’t an especially strong one.

Cain’s campaign told the AP that the allegations were not true, and amounted to unfair attacks. […]

Asked if Cain’s campaign was denying the report, [spokesman J.D. Gordon] said, “Yes.”

“These are baseless allegations,” Gordon said in a second interview later Sunday evening. “To my knowledge, this is not an accurate story

“To my knowledge” would appear to leave a little wiggle room, just in case.

So, what happens now? The Cain campaign is either lying about the candidate’s alleged misconduct or it’s not. And with the two accusers restricted by their settlement agreements from speaking, it’s possible Cain and his team feel like they can weather the storm without new details emerging. We’ll see.

But the larger political storm is just starting to brew. Cain’s reaction to direct questions yesterday — after being asked four times about the allegations, he sighed, glared at a reporter, stayed silent, and refused to respond — signaled to reporters everywhere that the Republican candidate has a real problem on his hands.

As for efforts to blame the “liberal” media, this may have some salience in GOP circles, but it’s not much of a strategy. For one thing, Politico hardly leans to the left. For another, the article was co-authored by a reporter who used to work for National Review. (Part of me wonders if it was members of the Republican establishment who leaked this, just to make Cain go away.)

What’s less clear is whether rank-and-file Republican voters will care. There’s reason to believe they won’t — the GOP has a track record of looking the other way when sexual misconduct allegations affect their own (Vitter, Clarence Thomas, et al).

52. October 31, 2011 at 9:32 am

Monday, October 31, 2011
    A Poor Student Of Debt
    Posted by Zandar

Glenn “Instawrong” Reynolds gets to play in the NY Post’s sandbox with this whopper of a false analogy that of course absolves the GOP of all responsibility for the student debt crisis.

The problem is, “college” isn’t an undifferentiated product. Companies can’t hire enough mechanical engineers, but there’s no bidding war for majors in Fine Arts or Women’s Studies, degrees that cost just as much, but deliver a lot less in terms of employment. In an economically rational market, it would be harder to borrow money to finance fields of study that were unlikely to produce enough income to pay back the loans. But since the federal government subsidizes everything — and makes student loans un-dischargeable in bankruptcy — there’s no incentive for lenders to care, and even less incentive for colleges and universities to care. They get their money up front, after all — just like the people who wrote the subprime loans that fueled the housing crisis.

Got that? Not only should the price of your major in higher education be subject to the whims of the free market, but if you can’t afford the price, tough crap. If you’re not willing to fill the “needs of the market” then why should you be taking up valuable educational resources, since the only goal in life is to make money?

Even worse, Reynolds argues, why should we “subsidize” education at all? Short of the meritocracy of scholarships, education should only go to those who can A) afford it and B) who can then use that education to become Our Precious Job Creators. No more room for lotus-eating ivory tower academics in our hypercapitalis,t globally-competitive society, no sir.
    And you have to admit, the narrative is tailor-made for the Tea Party. “We’re paying our tax dollars to subsidize all these egghead underwater basket weaving graduate parasites who think they are smarter than we are!” (Did I mention Glenn here is a law professor and “an author (writing An Army of Davids), a columnist, and a writer for academic journals” too? No?)

Reynolds does see the next debt bubble here in student loans, but let’s not forget that this “subsidization” he complains about as he calls the Occupy Together movement the “Hoovervilles of our age” was as much a subsidy bonanza for — you guessed it — the same banks in the heart of subprime loans mess (which, by the way, President Obama put an end to last year) as well as the for-profit colleges that follow the economic model that Reynolds champions.

Also, let’s not forget that the main reason why students have to borrow more is that states are slashing the budgets of colleges and universities because we can never, ever raise taxes and anything that tax dollars go to that aren’t tax cuts for Our Precious Job Creators is impeachable generational theft or something. I know, let’s fire all the government university professors (Hi Glenn!) and close down state schools and save taxpayer money. I’m sure that won’t raise the price of tuition at the remainder of the private schools or anything due to supply and demand (and hey, if God wanted you to go to college, you’d either be smart enough to earn a full scholarship or rich enough to pay for it.)

The larger problem is like voting, political power, socioeconomic power, and moral authority, today’s Tea Party conservatives think the more we limit higher education to the truly deserving few (or education in general for that matter) the better off America will be. That their criteria for who is “truly deserving” happens to always be themselves is just coincidence, especially when that power they derive comes at the expense of the dupes they have suckered into believing that they fall into that category too, or at least that by voting to exclude everyone else, they’ll be handsomely rewarded with the share that once went to “those people.” The reality is of course that the super-rich will take that share too and laugh, but the dupes aren’t supposed to know.

But to do that they need folks like Glenn Reynolds writing op-eds in the NY Post equating Occupy Wall Street protesters to the people that caused the financial crisis (and then absolving the people that actually caused the crisis.) It’s good work if you can get it.

• October 31, 2011 at 9:48 am

Hi Desertflower. Was just ready to post the same link. This guy is toast.

October 31, 2011 at 9:59 am

Morning, Jackie:) Yea.No matter how much he’ll wish for it all to go away, these issues will keep compounding.Like an avalanche.Bye Herm..

• 182 Ladyhawke
      October 31, 2011 at 9:54 am

Oh the hazards of being the front runner.

Herman Cain has been basking in the glow of being the front runner in the GOP presidential primary campaign. But he is now feeling the harsh realities of that notoriety. The intense scrutiny that comes with front runner status is brutal. There’s blood in the water now and the feeding frenzy has begun. The media beast must be fed.

53. 183 ber6964
    October 31, 2011 at 9:40 am

Good morning and Happy Halloween all!!

54. October 31, 2011 at 9:41 am

From HP commenter:

There once was a man named Cain
    Who sexually harassed a girl Jane
    He hushed it with money
    And thought it quite funny
    Until his candidacy went down the drain

55. 186 donna dem 4 obama
    October 31, 2011 at 9:44 am

Can we please boycott tweety’s (Chris Matthews) show for at least one day TOD? I know that many of you like to watch these shows to stay informed but it’s also rewarding their bad reporting with viewership. I just saw on Facebook that video he did with GOPolitico on JFK telling PBO what he could learn from Kennedy and honestly it made my blood boil.

October 31, 2011 at 9:49 am

Yes and he’s going to be on Morning Joke tomorrow to continue his Obama bash parade. These guys are desperate.

• 188 donna dem 4 obama
        October 31, 2011 at 9:56 am

It’s all negative all the time. This explains why the public is so ignorant and feel that nothing has changed since this President took office. They do this country a gross disservice.

• October 31, 2011 at 9:51 am

I am with you Donna Dem. That is one show I have boycotted for over two years. I cannot stand him. In fact, I refuse to give any of them ratings except Rev Al. He comes on too early in the day for me but I record it and watch later.

• October 31, 2011 at 9:59 am

Donna,
      Will do! He only does this, like Matt Damon, by appealing to right wingers to buy books or go to his
      Movies.
      Little do they know, right wingers, no matter how much pandering, still will not buy…

October 31, 2011 at 10:30 am

(Tweety) What do you want to boycott my show for? I’m from Philly! We tell it like it is! I used to have the tingle up my leg for Obama, until I realized what a huge disappointment he’s been compared to JFK….can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! THIS is American Exceptionalism, at it’s finest. JFK was Exceptional! This guy, not so much.I’ve got Howard Fineman here with me now from HuffPo, he has sources that say the same thing I’ve been saying! How many more professional pundits do you need to hear from to know that WE’RE RIGHT on this? Just because he TRIED to be successful while in office, doesn’t make it so.Those Republicans were just doing their jobs for their corp..um….Howard?

56. October 31, 2011 at 9:53 am

I hope chip is ok, the Notheast had an avalanche of snow. Many without power…
    At any rate, good morning!

57. October 31, 2011 at 9:59 am

Good morning, ‘bots!!

Should prove to be an interesting day. Jay has an early briefing at 10:30AM Eastern.

58. October 31, 2011 at 10:03 am

I wonder who leaked this story to politico?
    Remember all that crap mark Penn released to the press?
    Seems like they are trying to blame tge liberal press.
    Politico and Jonathan Martin are not liberal press.
    Nice try, but we got ya.

59. October 31, 2011 at 10:10 am

Looks like Cain’s campaign funding issues is a popular story. State firm’s cash to Herman Cain may breach federal campaign, tax laws