Oct

a ghoulishly good afternoon

Nick Anderson

Thanks Loriah ;-)

MSNBC: NBC News has confirmed that one woman received a settlement from the National Restaurant Association after complaining about inappropriate sexual conduct by Herman Cain.

NBC News is not disclosing the name of the woman nor characterizing who she is. Cain denied the allegations, saying on FOX this morning he was “falsely accused.” “I have never sexually harassed anyone, anyone,” he said, “and absolutely, these are false accusations.”

Despite being the chief executive officer of the National Restaurant Association, he said he was unaware of any settlement with the accusers, though he didn’t deny it. “If the restaurant association did a settlement, I wasn’t even aware of it,” he claimed, “and I hope it wasn’t for much. If there was a settlement, it was handled by some of the other officers at the restaurant association.”

TPM: On Fox News this afternoon, Herman Cain dismissed the Politico story dogging his campaign this week in the strongest possible terms. There’s only one problem with his story of how the Politico piece came to be: his chief of staff blew a large hole in it already.

On Fox, Cain said that Politico came to him with two anonymous tales of sexual harassment settlements reached while he was the head of the National Restaurant Association. And that’s why he didn’t respond to Politico’s request for comment.

….. That line of reasoning is fine, as far as it goes, except Cain neglected to mention one thing …. his Chief of Staff and famous smoker Mark Block confirmed to TPM that Politico’s reporting of the events was accurate.

…. So Cain’s strong words to Fox are already being found to be less-than-true. That’s not a good sign for a campaign trying to put a tough story behind it.

Full post here

Nick Anderson

Greg Sargent: ‘Calling BS on GOP ideas for job creation”

As you regulars know, I’ve been stamping my feet for some time now about big news orgs that amplify the GOP’s claim to having a “jobs plan” without asking independent experts whether Republican fiscal prescriptions would actually … create jobs.

So kudos to the Associated Press for weighing in with a bracing analysis that calls BS on the GOP’s ideas for job creation, though this one is focused on the 2012 GOP presidential candidates:

Key proposals from the Republican presidential candidates might make for good campaign fodder. But independent analyses raise serious questions about those plans and their ability to cure the nation’s ills in two vital areas, the economy and housing.….

More here

President Barack Obama signs an executive order, to head off drug shortages and to prevent price gouging, in the Oval Office, October 31. In attendance was Pharmacy Manager for perioperative services Bonnie Frawley (L), Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius (2nd L), Jay Cuetara (2nd R), a 49-year-old cancer patient who lives in San Francisco, CA, and FDA Commissioner Peggy Hamburg (R).

See the NYT and the White House site

Daniel Bice (JS Online): Herman Cain’s two top campaign aides ran a private Wisconsin-based corporation that helped the GOP presidential candidate get his fledgling campaign off the ground by originally footing the bill for tens of thousands of dollars in expenses ….. something that might breach federal tax and campaign law, according to sources and documents.

….. Election law experts say the transactions raise a host of questions for the private organization, which billed itself as a tax-exempt nonprofit, and the Cain team. “If the records accurately reflect what occurred, this is way out of bounds,” said a Washington, D.C.-based election lawyer….

Michael Maistelman, a Wisconsin campaign attorney, agreed. “The number of questionable and possibly illegal transactions conducted on behalf of Herman Cain is staggering” ….

Full article here

Steve Benen: This looks awfully bad for Team Cain. The report points to evidence that two of Cain’s top aides set up a now-defunct non-profit entity that illegally financed the campaign, effectively helping it get off the ground. There’s nothing in FEC filings to suggest the campaign ever paid Prosperity USA back for the substantial funds it spent on Cain’s behalf.

Full post here

150 Responses to “a ghoulishly good afternoon”

1. 1 LOL
    October 31, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh that Rick Perry cartoon has me rolling…One more time -Please focus on After the remarks around 7:50 mark. He is all sorts of happy.

• 2 ChristiMtl
      October 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I saw that yesterday, how strange was that? If he wasn’t drunk or under the influence of something, it’s even worst than I thought.

Bush on steroids,.

I still can’t believe that Willard Romney didn’t go on any Sunday shows since March. Wow. What a coward. What is he worry about anyway, it’s not like they’re going to challenge him in any way.

• 8 Sandy1110
      October 31, 2011 at 2:26 pm

The grin (well, several of them), but the limp wrist with the other hand over the mouth? As I saw someone else ask, has Marcus Bachmann seen this? Hee!

• October 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Maybe he’s on muscle relaxers/ back pain medication or something. He was definitely being goofy.

• 13 Betsy
      October 31, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Arianna here,
      I think that you should stop blaming Rick Perry for his performance and look to the real culprit: Obama. After all, Obama is the one who hasn’t done anything for the poor people, he’s just another tool for the corporations, you know, and it’s just that we should know what the real problem is and that is President Obama. He’s let down the American people, people who don’t have much that is what I see. Excuse me, I have to go to court to fight those bastards who are sueing me for not paying them to publish on the Huffington Post. I don’t understand these people…..

2. 14 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm

BOEHNER’S CROCODILE TEARS

Speaking at the University of Louisville in Kentucky today, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said “I understand” the “frustrations” of Occupy Wall Street protesters. “The economy is not producing jobs like they want.”

================================

Occupy Wall Street’s Success: Even Republicans Are Talking About Income Inequality

• 15 Mel
      October 31, 2011 at 1:48 pm

So Boehner says “The economy is not priducing jobs. REALY? Mr Speaker back at you wher
      are the fucking jobs orproposals from your party? for not be willing to even help our VETS that are
      coming home and their families to get jobs and be employ here at home is AN AMERICAN. you have
      betrayed us.
      I hope the MSM have the bullocks to show Rick Perry’s speech and ask him about . And herman cain
      will not be able to spin his bullshit about this sexual harrasment. it’s about the CHARACTER OF THE
      INDIVIDUAL AND IN ORDER TO BE PRESIDENT YOU HAVE TP HAVE AND BE AN EXAMPLE OF
      CHARACTER.

• October 31, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Too bad no one yelled out “Yeah that’s because y’all keep saying NO to every jobs bill”.

3. 17 prettyfoot58
    October 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Piers Morgan here….

been scouring the black neighborhoods trying to find black folks who will speak harshly of the President…yanno those black folks who have turned against the President…took me awhile….but i found Willy the Wino..who has a lot of complaints…esp since his local liquor store has stopped stocking “RIPPLE”…

Hey JoeS…can we get a spot on your show…

• 18 ChristiMtl
      October 31, 2011 at 1:19 pm

lol too funny, he’s really obsess with that isn’t he?.

• 19 Mel
      October 31, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I have noticed that and it’s so fucking obious,He is crap every time he has a Black guest he always ask
      them the same questions, and of course and the answer he gets are so positive about PBO.

• 20 PurpleShoesLA
      October 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Dearest Piers,

Tavis here, you know Brother West and I are ALWAYS ready to come back on your show,just as we did in July before our successful KOCHfunded propa…excuse me Poverty Bus Tour where we connected with many a black folk (and it is black folk, not black folks) in the ghetto who spent their last little pennies on our book, and who believe that Obama has done nothing for us, nothing! Then he insults us black folk telling us to take off our bedroom slippers and quit complainin’ and then thumps his podium like he’s a preacher at the CBC dinner. Just say the word, we’ll be happy to come back on your show and we can bring some of that angry black folk with us. Just think of the ratings!

October 31, 2011 at 2:34 pm

• 22 theo67
        October 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Hey – Herman Cain here. I’ll come on your show, Piers, to talk smack about President Obama. I might even be able to convince Maxine Waters to appear with me – if we can find her wig. Seems it got lost during a Presidential smackdown a few weeks ago…

• October 31, 2011 at 2:28 pm

(Mitch McConnell) Piers, i don’t usually watch your show, (busy traveling back and forth between home state and the capital looking for jobs), but have you asked Brother Herman Cain? He’s having a little difficulty right now, and might welcome the opportunity to shine the spotlight in another direction. Have your people give him a call, why don’t you?

• 24 utaustinliberal
      October 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Dearest Piers, Jane Hamsher here. I have created a webpage on http://www.janehamsherispsycho.com where you can find “real” black people who are “disappointed” in President Obama and while you are there can you please donate to my cause to keep President Obama adhered to “real liberal” prinicples?

• 25 PurpleShoesLA
        October 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Jane, Jane, my true progressive sister in arms,

I know you know that Brother West, Brother Nader and I have run into just a slight snag trying to find a qualified individual who adheres to “real liberal” principles to primary Obama (that traitor to the black folk) in 2012. I now believe that that person is you Jane! You already have the grassroots organization in place as I can tell from your wonderful website above. You would galvanize the base, Jane! Of course Brother West and I can bring all the real black folk to your campaign. You know lots of folk just ready to show their support–okay maybe about 15 if we count family members and your other black friends like Melissa Perry. But c’mon Jane, as a united force we will ROCK the Democrctic convention. Won’t you step up for the cause my sister?

Yours,
        Tavis “and as always keep the faith”

• 26 utaustinliberal
          October 31, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Brother Tavis. Thank you for paying me attention. You know how I crave attention. Oh oh oh *gasps* thank you for considering me as a possible third party candidate to primary President Obama. I will make sure you are my running mate so that we may both get all the media attention in the world. First we must get rid of his healthcare plan and put my healthcare plan in place. Where we sucker the poor… *oops* I mean help the poor. Can my slogan be “If you love real American liberal principles vote for Jane.” If you hate real liberals vote for President Obama.

• 27 prettyfoot58
        October 31, 2011 at 5:16 pm

WILL DO…MY DEAR JANE

• 28 prettyfoot58
        October 31, 2011 at 5:16 pm

WILL DO…MY DEAR JANE

4. October 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Shouldn’t that horsey be a unicorn?

5. October 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Cain is an idiot. Any lawyers out there? I don’t know how on earth it would be possible, without it being an ethical or professional dereliction, for a financial settlement to take place without the CEO’s knowledge and agreement. He had to sign off on that. This guy is beyond stupid.

• 31 vero804
      October 31, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Is that his line? That as CEO of the damn organization he had no idea of a settlement of a sexual harassment suit? Uhhh..not going to work. Makes absolutely no sense, especially since he’s the subject of the harassment claim.

• October 31, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Or, this guy thinks the people likely to vote for him are beyond stupid.

• October 31, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Many of them just might be beyond stupid, vc. In the online version of my local Middle GA newspaper today, the right-wingers who are posting are in total denial. It’s everyone’s fault, except Cain’s. They’re blaming PBO, Clinton, Politico, liberals, the fact that Cain is a successful black man, etc. I posted a response to let them know that liberals WANT Cain to be the nominee, so it’s would be self-defeating for us to do any opposition research and use it against him at this point. They just don’t want to face the fact that someone high up in the GOP doesn’t want Cain to be the nominee. The GOP is a mess at this point in time, and I just don’t see things getting any better for them with the current crop of candidates they’re dealing with. Huntsman is the only one who could bring them out of the ditch they’re in, but the rank and file don’t want him. Their predicament is of their own making, and I refuse to feel sorry for them.

6. October 31, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Happy Halloween everyone. I come as myself, since I wasn’t assigned a name. :) I was checking around to see how much the Cain story is being discussed. I was really surprised when I saw that “Dick” Halpern’s entire page was about Cain. Which TOD family member is Cain today? They are really popular. :)

• 41 theo67
      October 31, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’m Herman Cain – sorry I’m late to the party. Was writing my speech for the press conference. Needed to know exactly how to deny everything without letting the ignorant and uninformed catch on too much.

7. October 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Happy Halloween, everybody! LOL These cartoons are spot on.

8. 43 LOL
    October 31, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Hi Ya’ll (hehe) I’m trying to relate to the commoners. Mark Halperin here…just wanted to let you know in a bout 3 months I am going to write an article saying that the president (or as we call him on Morning Joe “Dick” *giggles) is going to lose..and then I will write another story in about 5 months calling him the the comeback kid. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Gotta go…I have to put up a poll saying that the president is currently down by 98 to Romney in the all important state of Alabama.

• October 31, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Halpern (LOL) you are on a roll today with Cain. :)

• 45 LOL
        October 31, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I decided to spend some time today on Herb, or Herm…oh it doesn’t matter. I don’t think J, or Jon Huntsman as you guys know him (sidenote, he lets me call him J because we are total besties) has anything going on today. I looked on his schedule, called him, text his wife, emailed his mom and skyped his Chinese food delivery boy in Shanghai—and they all told him he had nothing going on today. We might go out later for shots, but in the mean time, I think I’ll focus on the Herb story. Where did I put my “Journalists for J” t-shirt. Ugh…I had it dry cleaned and everything…..

• October 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hey, Mark, Joe Scarborough here buddy. You gotta come on tomorrow morning so we can freep your poll about that “Dick” eh, whoops need to make sure that delay is working, eh, that guy Barack Obama.

• 47 utaustinliberal
            October 31, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Hello Joe S. Jane Hamsher here. May I please come on tomorrow morning? I have a present for you. “Real liberals” who are mad at President Obama. Please please please can I come on?

• 48 Proud of Obama
              October 31, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Gee, Jane, you fawn and beg almost as good as Mika. Listen, you know how much I hate that guy that Barack Obama. So come on, bring the Obama hate, Jane. Guarantee your blog hits will spike.

9. 49 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    October 31, 2011 at 1:24 pm

IF I WERE TO CHOOSE WHICH END OF THE HORSE REPRESENTS PERRY’S CHARACTER…YOU KNOW WHERE I’M HEADED…AS FOR CAIN…OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!…:)))))))))))

10. October 31, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Peggy Noonan here, have I told you lately that I can’t stand that Barrrrack Obama. He’s like a walking headache, probably causing Michelle Bachmann’s headaches. He should keep his face off TV. (actually her actual quote)

One more time, can you tell I hate that Barrrrrack Obama?

October 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Peggy – Not to get all snarky on ya, especially when you’re wearing that cool witch costume, but please keep your own face, neck, hips, thighs, and feet off TV.

Thank you.

• October 31, 2011 at 2:41 pm

No, Peggy, you are so subtle about it, only those nasty liberals would say you hated anyone, especially that Commie guy in the White House. Why, when I was a kid pulling insect wings, I used to think you were the coolest thing, especially when you’d go on the black and white television and talk about that old guy you had a crush on–oops, was that Ronnie Raygun? Well Peggy, keep it up–you are so cute when you get mad. Your friend, Pat Toomey (Tea Party – PA)

• October 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Peggy, Happy Halloween! This is your buddy, Rand Paul!!! It is President Obama’s fault that congress passed the 1964 civil rights law. President Obama is a meany because he made congress pass civil rights laws when he was 3 years old!!! We have had to play nice since the civil rights laws were passed. I hope to see you at the citizens’ meeting next week. (wink, wink)

• October 31, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Not as much as I, Maureen Dowd. He never talks to me.,,,,,waah

11. October 31, 2011 at 1:34 pm

MF Global files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

US brokerage firm MF Global has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after revealing £4bn of eurozone debt exposure.

The US brokerage, which has 2,000 staff worldwide including 600 in London, is said to be planning to sell its assets to rival Interactive Brokers Group.

Shares in MF Global were suspended by the New York authorities on Monday.

JPMorgan Chase and Deutsche Bank are the firm’s two biggest creditors.

JPMorgan is said to have a claim of more than $1.2bn, while Deutsche Bank is owed more than $1bn.

Shares in JPMorgan fell 3.3% on the news of MF Global’s Chapter 11 move, while Deutsche Bank’s US-listed shares lost 8.7%.

I want all these hedge funds fail and fail big.

12. 57 vero804
    October 31, 2011 at 1:40 pm

You guys are so freaking funny. Great way to break up my day here at work. Love it.

On a side note, I’m in charge of helping hire an assistant and it’s crazy how many resumes we’ve gotten since Friday, when we posted the ad for the position. It’s also interesting to read the different resumes. It’s clear that there are many people either looking for a change of employment, or they’re just applying at the firm to apply, since we’ve gotten resumes from people who’s background is nowhere close to a law firm setting.

Overall, there is an amazing amount of qualified people out there – kind of hard to choose. There are also too many people sending out resumes that are too hard to read and littered with misspellings. I wish people who proofread and have others read over their resumes before they send them out.

13. 58 LOL
    October 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I just bet my sister 10 bucks that Herman Cain will……wait for it…….play the race card. *grabs Popcorn,Redbull, and a copy of the Clarence Thomas biography*

• 59 theo67
      October 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Hey – Herman Cain here. Great idea!

• 60 utaustinliberal
      October 31, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Ding! Ding! Ding! we have a winner. He compared this event to Clarence Thomas’s event and said it was a “high tech lynching” a la Thomas. He also said that now that he’a at the top of the polls the bulls eye on his back is getting larger and his enemies are trying to take him down. Whaaaaaaaaat????

*Sits down with some kettlecorn popcorn and a daiquiri and laughs my freaking head off*

• 61 LOL
        October 31, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I guess Hermie just wants to be judged not on his color, but on the content of his character…er, maybe not. How bout them eagles? LOL

• October 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm

He doesn’t have to. The rank and file are playing the race card. I read some comments on Little Green Footballs yesterday that a poster had copied and pasted from Big Gov., and boy, Breitbart doesn’t care how racist his followers get. In the online version of my local paper here in GA, they’re pushing that card as hard as they can, too, and I’m LMBO, as they flail and flail, trying to justify another poor choice in a political candidate.

14. 63 Bri
    October 31, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Cain talking about race is sad, and it makes me cringe.

15. 64 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2011 at 1:58 pm

FRANK LUNTZ and THE GOP PLAYBOOK

=================================

The Secret List Of 14 Words That Republicans Are Never Supposed To Use

At the very back of the now leaked Republican manual from Frank Luntz are 14 terms that Republicans are never supposed to use, and some of the words on the list may surprise you.

The leaked Republican manual is the entire framework which Republicans have been using for years to frame issues and win debates. Although it was written in 2006, much of the Luntz gospel is still not only in use, but is repeated verbatim daily by the GOP members of Congress and the candidates who are running for the 2012 nomination.

================================

NOTE: This item was originally posted by “Desertflower” late last night.

I am reposting it because this is too important to be missed. Anyone who has watched a Republican being interviewed on cable or network television will be nodding their heads while reading this document. You will begin to see the remarkable message discipline of the GOP. But really, that’s the point. Their discipline is all about wordsmithing and deception. It’s the sleight of hand. This document is quite an eyeopener even thought it was written in 2006. The word substitutions will be very familiar. The real problem comes when the Democrats fall into the trap and start using the same manipulative word substitutions.

16. October 31, 2011 at 2:00 pm

John “flip-flopper” McCain here! My good friend “Snooki” called me up recently and said, “YO Johnny, I don’t go tanning anymore because Obama put a 10% tax on tanning, and I feel like he did that intentionally for us. Yes, Obama hates the Jersey Shore cast so much he’s going to introduce a 20% tax on hair products to underwrite replenishment of the ozone layer and make uttering the word Guido a hate crime.”

To which I replied to her. “You’re right, I would never tax your tanning bed! Pres Obama’s tax/spend policy is quite The Situation. but I do recommend wearing sunscreen!”

17. 73 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Don’t be Fooled: Ten Scary Facts about Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney, for many in the mainstream media, is the model of the moderate Republican. But don’t be fooled. There is nothing moderate about the current Republican party. A party who questions verified science on global warming because it interferes with their corporate profits. The Republican party ignores biological facts, doing their best to ban contraception because in their perverted minds, contraception leads to fornication. They think that if we just ignore the natural urges to procreate, they will go away. The Republican party believes that taking from the poor and giving to the rich will lift all yachts, and it’s your fault if you’re poor. A true moderate would leave the Republican party, not run for their presidential nomination. So without further pontificating, I present:

18. 74 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 31, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Protesters turn their backs on Cantor Talk!!

• 75 ChristiMtl
      October 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm

It happened today? I can’t wait to see the video

• 76 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      October 31, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Not Secret Service; Can’t(or) don’t rate…

• 77 Ladyhawke
      October 31, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Protesters Interrupt Cantor Speech In Michigan

—————————————————————

After canceling a speech on income inequality last week at the University of Pennsylvania after learning it would be open to the public, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) spoke today at the University of Michigan. It was clear why he had avoided the public previously, as 99 Percent Movement protesters stood silently during the speech while other audience members responded vocally to Cantor’s statements. Some photos via Steve Friess:

• October 31, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Boyyyyyyyyyyyyy, do I like those pictures of the People In Michigan, turning their backs on Cantor as he’s speaking, wowwwwwwwwwwwwww, that’s a clear message, he should have felt ashame of himself. Lol, I like :-)

• October 31, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I would like to note that these folks were listed as the 99% protestors. One sign said tax the rich. I know OWS has many who think it does not have a message, however I believe each area is unique. In Michigan it looks like some 99% ers took action against a Republican. I hope this spreads.

19. October 31, 2011 at 2:15 pm

October 31, 2011 12:30 PM

The other Cain scandal of the day

By Steve Benen

Allegations that Herman Cain sexually harassed two women in the 1990s is causing his campaign plenty of heartburn today. The Republican candidate ran to — where else? — Fox News this morning and conceded he’d been accused of harassment, but the allegations were “trumped up” and “totally false.” He wouldn’t, however, speak to the financial settlement the women received.

The basics of the Politico article, then, appear to be true — Cain was accused of misconduct and the women who made the accusations accepted settlements.

That’s the main Cain controversy of the day. There is, however, another one, and this other controversy points to possible campaign-finance irregularities

Herman Cain’s two top campaign aides ran a private Wisconsin-based corporation that helped the GOP presidential candidate get his fledgling campaign off the ground by originally footing the bill for tens of thousands of dollars in expenses for such items as iPads, chartered flights and travel to Iowa and Las Vegas — something that might breach federal tax and campaign law, according to sources and documents.

Internal financial records obtained by [the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Daniel Bice] show that Prosperity USA said it was owed about $40,000 by the Cain campaign for a variety of items in February and March. Cain began taking donations for his presidential bid on Jan. 1.

Prosperity USA was owned and run by Wisconsin political operatives Mark Block and Linda Hansen, Cain’s current chief of staff and deputy chief of staff, respectively.

“If the records accurately reflect what occurred, this is way out of bounds,” said a Washington, D.C.-based election lawyer who advises many Republican candidates and conservative groups on campaign issues. The lawyer asked not to be identified because of those affiliations.

Michael Maistelman, a Wisconsin campaign attorney, agreed. “The number of questionable and possibly illegal transactions conducted on behalf of Herman Cain is staggering,” said Maistelman, a Democrat who has represented politicians from both parties on campaign issues.

The unnamed Republican expert on elections law concluded, “I just don’t see how they can justify this. It’s a total mess.”

Keep in mind, even post-Citizens United, a corporation cannot simply give a candidate tens of thousands of dollars. Indeed, even if it was a loan — which has not yet been paid back — as Ian Millhiser explained, that would be illegal, too.

• October 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Well, at least he’s not being vilified with “guilt by association”. He should ask President Obama what that was like to be accused of wrong that was actually done by someone else. Not just Rev Wright, but Tony Rezko. The politician that was supposed to have dealings with Tony wasn’t Obama, but turned out to be Gov. Rob Blagojevich. But that didn’t stop the press from assuming it was Barack Obama before it all came out in court of Tony Rezko trial. But I guess it’s not a high tech lynching if you’re a Democrat, only Black Republicans.

October 31, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Marco Rubio here, junior U.S. senator from Florida and family member of Cuban exiles.

I’d like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the recent brouhaha that occurred when the good people of the United States found out that I embellished my biography; specifically, when I said that my parents were exiles after Castro took over Cuba, although – in fact – they left years before that.

This Halloween, I really must respond to a vicious campaign by one of President Obama’s hometown newspapers, “The Chicago Sun Times,” in which they quoted me in an article as saying:

“We do have a tendency in modern politics to exaggerate things. It’s not like they discovered my parents were from Canada.”

Yes, I did say that, but do you think it was fair that this morally bankrupt (as I like to say) liberal newspaper wrote about it? I mean, does anyone think I came from Canada, for goodness sakes, eh? Get it?

• October 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Rubio, you are not ready for prime time. If you’re family came from Cananda you would have found a way to “exaggerate” about that too.

• October 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm

(Mitch McConnell) Marco, why are you even responding to The Chicago Sun Times? Didn’t you get my last memo in the previous thread? Listen to an older, more experienced republican politician who has been in the Senate since 1985. You should never try to justify your lies. Once you’ve stated your position, let the journalists argue by themselves long enough and they will eventually offer an explanation for you. I have high hopes for you, (as our next Cheney, for example) so please don’t muck them up with all these excessive and uncalled for explanations. They make you appear weak. Haven’t you learned yet that Republicans do not have to worry about truth! Chuck Todd, Ed Henry, Mark Halperin and other media types will clarify whatever needs clarification, in our favour, if you don’t mess up the waters with too much information. Pay attention, kiddo! You are already spending too much time on this issue, thus taking media time away from bashing the president as he tries to walk around us with this executive order nonsense.

21. October 31, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Just read an article on The Hill that Obama’s Jobs bill has gotten 90 sponsors in the House. My rep is a Republican Tea Partier so I called the four Dem reps who stuck their necks out to sign this. Pelosi and the DCCC are running a powerful campaign to win back the House and I think these four reps need confirmation that they made the right choice for their careers and for the American people.

[quote] More than 90 lower-chamber Democrats have officially endorsed the president’s jobs bill in the past week – a stark jump over a short span that came after Democratic leaders welcomed members to sign on at the party’s weekly caucus meeting last Tuesday.
    ….
    Of the 14 House Democrats on the Cook Political Report’s list of most competitive races, for instance, only two – Reps. Lois Capps (D-Calif.) and Leonard Boswell (D-Iowa) – have endorsed the president’s jobs bill.

Members of the conservative-leaning Blue Dog Coalition have also shied away so far, with only three – Reps. Joe Baca (D-Calif.) Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) and Boswell – signing on as cosponsors…..[endquote]

I love calling and giving them kudos for a job well done.

• October 31, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for bringing us this info, Suzanne. It would be terrific if Nancy P. can manage to get this off the ground in the House, and show John Boehner how it’s done.

22. October 31, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Choosing Fort Monroe
    Obama to name 1st monument
    By DARREN SAMUELSOHN | 10/31/11 11:41 AM Updated: 10/31/11 11:58 AM

The president has received local support for Fort Monroe. AP Photo Close
    President Barack Obama has chosen a historic 19th-century Army fort on the Virginia coast to be his first national monument.

Fort Monroe, one of the few Union military installations in the South during the Civil War never occupied by Confederate forces, will get the designation under the 1906 Antiquities Act.

“It’s a huge economic opportunity for southern Virginia,” Interior Secretary Ken Salazar told The Virginian-Pilot of the site that holds both Civil War and African-American history.

Antiquities Act designations haven’t always gone down well. Utah officials complained in 1996 that President Bill Clinton caught them off guard by creating the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

But Obama has plenty of local support for Fort Monroe, including backing from Virginia’s Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell, the state’s bipartisan congressional delegation and local officials.

23. 89 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2011 at 2:25 pm

From Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi

MONSTER MYTHBUSTER: GOP Trick Revealed!

——————————————————————

Today, another GOP trick has been revealed. While Republicans claim regulations hurt jobs…:

As a key part of the GOP jobs plan, House Republicans are focused on eliminating excessive federal regulations that needlessly raise prices on consumers and put thousands of jobs at risk.
    – Speaker John Boehner [10/25]

..Bruce Bartlett, economist and advisor to Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, unmasked the GOP’s favorite talking point, saying that rolling back critical regulations that protect consumer safety and health will stimulate job creation is ‘just made up‘:

—————————————————————–

24. October 31, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Political AnimalBlog
    October 31, 2011 2:00 PM

Imagining a Tea Party presidency

By Steve Benen

David Frum has a new item for CNN today, pondering a series of 2012 scenarios. The one he likes least is the fourth of four options: Republican voters nominate a “Tea Party Republican” who goes on to win the White House.

In which case, not only tea party Republicans but all Republicans and all Americans will confront the problem: what next?

The tea party stands for a series of propositions that don’t meet the reality test: that deficits matter more than jobs, that cutting deficits and tightening credit will accelerate economic growth, that high taxes and over-regulation are the most important reasons that growth has not revived, and that America still offers the world’s best opportunity for the poor to rise. Tea party plans call for a radical shift in the burden of taxation from the rich to the poor — and promise big reductions in government spending without touching any of the benefits of current retirees.

If put into practice, the tea party platform is a formula for political and economic crisis.

There are a couple of important angles to this. The first is that Frum makes a distinction between “Tea Party Republicans” and Mitt Romney. I’m not sure if that’s wise. Sure, the former Massachusetts governor has generally avoided pandering to Tea Party groups, but not exclusively. “I believe in a lot of what the Tea Party believes in,” Romney said a month ago, adding, “[I]f the Tea Party is for keeping government small and spending down, and helping us create jobs, then, hey, I’m for the Tea Party.”

The second, and arguably more important, element here is Frum’s description of the Tea Party Republicans’ agenda, which he considers a formula for crisis. I’m very much inclined to agree with the larger point, but did you notice the policy wish list?

Consider it again: deficit reduction over job creation, tighter credit, targeting regulations and taxes, shifting the tax burden downwards, and deep spending cuts. Does this not sound familiar?

Frum characterizes this agenda as a Tea Party radicalism that would be a tragic failure if implemented. I hate to break this to Frum, but his description of the Tea Party agenda is identical to what mainstream Republicans already want. The entire GOP leadership has already embraced this agenda; just about every Republican lawmaker in Washington has already voted for this agenda.

Frum’s nightmare scenario is that the standard GOP wish list in 2011 will be a disaster if put into practice in 2013. Does Frum not realize that nearly all — if not literally all — congressional Republicans have already thrown their support behind this crisis-inducing platform?

And if Frum does reality this, then why is he still a self-identified Republican?

• 91 theo67
      October 31, 2011 at 3:15 pm

The Republican Party isn’t your father’s Republican Party. There are still some people under the illusion that if Repubs are elected, that they’re not going to do any damage to the country. They’re failing to look at the damage that’s already been done, and the fact that someone like Paul Ryan – their budget “guru” – is an Ayn Rand obsessive and wants to do away with anything that helps the social infrastructure in this country. These Republicans who are still clinging to a romantic vision of the old Republican party, which just believed in more moderate/conservative regulation and taxation, has become extreme and would throw the country under the bus if it meant that the rich could funnel more money into their foreign tax shelters. They don’t believe in America anymore, and so have no real interest in sustaining the country and its people. They just need the votes of the people to keep themselves in power – but most of them have divested of the US dollar, and bought gold or foreign currency and have their money in foreign accounts, where they spend their money during their vacations (instead of helping the US economy).

25. 92 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2011 at 2:28 pm

From Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi

All Tricks and No Jobs Agenda: 300 Days of GOP Majority in the House

———————————————————–

For 300 days, Americans have knocked on the door of the GOP-led House calling for action on jobs—and for 300 days Republicans have doled out tricks instead of a jobs agenda. Now, just in time for Halloween, House Republicans are whipping out a new message mask to hide the fact they don’t actually have a plan to put the country back to work.

Instead of working with Democrats to pass President Obama’s American Jobs Act, the GOP will continue looking out for their special interest friends and only advance “small-bore bills” while millions of Americans continue searching for a job. Well, GOP trickery hasn’t fooled anyone so far…

69 percent of Americans say GOP policies favor the rich. [CBS News/New York Times poll]

And it won’t start now. Take peek at what’s actually inside the GOP goodie bag that pushes their special interest agenda under the guise of job creation»

———————————————————–

26. 93 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 31, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Herman Cain Sings

• October 31, 2011 at 2:35 pm

And this kook wants to be the President of the United States of America? And the Press Club eats it up~ not even a little surprised on that.

• October 31, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Sherijr, don’t knock it. THAT IMO was a timely dog whistle to his potential religious right base. Jesus loves him AND looks beyond his faults and saw his needs. What better reminder as/if things start to go wrong for him? He’s just admitted he has faults, and reminded them that Jesus is forgiving. Cain has recently made me start to wonder if his first place position this last little while has raised his ambition beyond book sales.

• October 31, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Right about that dog whistle, vc. I’m a Christian, too, but I specifically recall that there is a warning in the NT that tells Christian that they can’t keep doing wrong and continue expecting God to forgive them. Cain should be very aware of this. He has already turned his back on the poor, the sick, the elderly–all groups that Jesus was very concerned about.

November 1, 2011 at 3:55 am

majiir, amen to what you said. All the Republican Party seem not to give a darn about the poor. Their only concern is the rich. And for Cain to say that if you don’t have a job or if you are poor it’s your fault. Seem like I remember the Bible saying the poor you will always have with you. I remember Jesus saying to feed the hungry, clothes the naked, visit the sick, those who are in prison, look after the widows and orphans. I don’t recall Jesus saying look after the rich. To me Cain comes off as an arrogent punk, not someone who is humble and thankful.

• 98 Dakota
        October 31, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Of course they ate it up. They love a good minstrel show. This is how they want us Black folk to conduct ourselves and they have issues with those of us who don’t…like President Obama.

This fool (who obviously resides on Pluto somewhere) is so full of himself that he doesn’t realize he’s being played. The Tea Pukes will never have a Black man as their candidate. I might be wrong…but I don’t think so.

• October 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm

That’s okay, Herman. I feel your pain. The first step is admitting you have a problem. (Recovery is haaaard.) Peace, Anthony Weiner.

• 101 theo67
      October 31, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Herman Cain here – hey, if you can’t sing, it’s your own fault.

27. October 31, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Political AnimalBlog
    October 31, 2011 1:10 PM

‘No core’

By Steve Benen

David Plouffe, a senior adviser to the White House, appeared on “Meet the Press” yesterday and took a few pointed rhetorical shots at Mitt Romney. The result was a pretty big hint as to the kind of message voters are likely to hear in 2012 if the former Massachusetts governor wins the GOP nomination.

For those who can’t watch clips online, Plouffe said this about Romney:

“[H]e has no core. And, you know, every day almost it seems to be we find another issue. You know, he was supportive of doing things like a cap and trade agreement, now he doesn’t think that, you know, climate change is real. He was to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights issues, now he wants to amend the Constitution to prevent gay marriage. He was an extremely pro-choice governor, now he believes that life begins at conception and would ban Roe v. Wade. So you, you look at — issue after issue after issue, he’s moved all over the place.

“And I can tell you one thing, working a few steps down from the president, what you need in that office is conviction, you need to have a true compass, and you’ve got to be willing to make tough calls. And you get the sense with Mitt Romney that, you know, if he thought it was good to say the sky was green and the grass was blue to win an election, he’d say it.”

I mention this in large part because Plouffe seems to understand that labeling a rival a “flip-flopper” just isn’t enough. It’s a start, but it’s not sufficient — much of the country is probably already inclined to believe that politicians are a bunch of hypocrites who are willing to say anything to get elected. For that matter, every candidate in every race has probably changed his or her mind on an issue or two.

The key for Democrats in 2012, however, is helping the country understand that Romney is a very different kind of animal. There are literally zero major issues on which the guy has taken principled, consistent stands. America hasn’t seen a candidate like him — a man totally free of convictions, practically allergic to core beliefs — in modern political history. The goal for Dems isn’t to label Romney a flip-flopper; it’s to label him a craven fraud with the integrity of a candle flame.

Rank-and-file voters may not be able to keep up on the subtleties of Romney’s flip-flops on climate change and cap-and-trade plans, but the public cares about trustworthiness.

If voters ask themselves, “I like some of what Romney said, but will he say the opposite tomorrow?” then the Obama campaign has done its job.

28. October 31, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Boxer now??? I love her–

President Obama’s proposal to create a national infrastructure bank and spend $50 billion on transportation to stimulate job growth will be up for a vote in the Senate this week.

The infrastructure bank proposal, which calls for spending $10 billion to start, was originally contained in legislation introduced by Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.) and Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas). The president incorporated it into his proposal for a $447 billion jobs act, which the Senate is now voting on in pieces after its rejection as a package.

A hiccup for the infrastructure bank could come from Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), a figure who is normally loyal to Obama. The chairwoman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee has said in the past she would “never” support the proposal.

29. October 31, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Senate Democratic leadership could continue a long-odds attempt to push through another piece of President Obama’s jobs package this week despite clear signals it lacks sufficient support to afford passage in either chamber.

The $60 billion slice of the already rejected $447 billion spending package would provide funds and loans for infrastructure projects like highways, roads and a new GPS system for the nation’s airports.

Several moderate Republicans, along with most Democrats, support these investments, but the legislation’s near-certain defeat is due to the included pay-for mechanism that would raise taxes on those with an annual income greater than $1 million. That exact mechanism was in part responsible for both the failure of the overall jobs package and the first fragment of the bill earlier this month.

Democratic leadership will continue to push the legislation despite its inability to clear either chamber, in part, because Obama is continuing to use the jobs bill as a central talking point as he gears up for the 2012 reelection campaign.

On Saturday, Obama delivered a radio address entitled “We Can’t Wait to Strengthen the Economy and Create Jobs,” in which he continued to harangue Congress for failure to take action on jobs.

“The truth is, we can no longer wait for Congress to do its job,” said Obama.

With much serious legislative work remaining before the end of the fiscal year in the Senate, some Republicans have already begun to argue that Democratic leadership ought to practice better stewardship over valuable floor time.

Before a stopgap funding measure expires on Nov. 18, the upper chamber must complete work on the nine remaining appropriations bills, lump them together in an omnibus or pass another continuing resolution to float the government until it clears the spending bills. All of those actions are expected to draw controversy and would result in time-consuming debate.

If Democrats do opt to take up consideration of the next $60 billion jobs bill on Tuesday, Republicans, despite frustration, will likely play along by trying to tack on amendments that either gut the controversial pay-for mechanism or they will seize the opportunity to offer unrelated amendments for a vote.

So far the closest the Senate has come to passing an element of the jobs bill came on a vote on a piece pulled out by Republicans that that would have eliminated the 3 percent withholding tax on federal contracts. That narrowly failed 57-43.

The full $447 billion jobs bill fell flat earlier in the month in a bipartisan vote, 50-48.

30. October 31, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I think they are going to get rid of the loan guarantee program, at least until the jobs situation
    improves. DOE has learned another company that makes electric batteries, has gone bankrupt.
    That is not good!

• October 31, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Actually what I read is that the WH is going to scrutinize them more carefully before giving the loan. Why in a jobs crisis would they stop funding companies that want to hire people? its still only two companies. What is it they say? 95% of all businesses go bust after x years?

31. 109 donna dem 4 obama
    October 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Charles Koch here again. My “boy” Cain has told his side of the story so let’s just let Fox news and Rush take it from here.

• 110 theo67
      October 31, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Herman Cain here – thanks Koch brother. I appreciate the support with these attacks from the right – I mean, attacks from the left… (by the way, how long do you really want me to keep up this charade? I’m starting to believe my own hype…)

• October 31, 2011 at 3:40 pm

(Mitch McConnell) Hey Charles, didn’t you just love the religious touch as he reminded the base that we are all sinners? The man is a natural, pity we can’t have two minorities vying for the presidency. Especially while we are trying to remove the one who slipped in under the radar in 2008.

32. October 31, 2011 at 2:51 pm

October 31, 2011
    Keynesianism, as ‘theoretical’ as Darwinism

Krugman reiterates a political point which should be reiterated — and reiterated — by liberal pols with the pseudoconservative right’s magnificent artistry for that sort of messaging thing:

[T]he right has always seen Keynesian economics as a leftist doctrine, when it’s actually nothing of the sort.

Keynesian economics is merely modern macroeconomic theory in the same vein that evolutionary biology is modern biological theory. Because Keynesianism is now empirically grounded and thus subject to towering heaps of statistical verification, it’s no more a falsified “theory,” as the right would have it, than the Austrian School is cutting-edge analysis.

As Krugman notes, the right’s motive behind characterizing Keynesianism as “leftist” is that the decency-averse right appreciates all too well the socioeconomic efficacy of increased government spending (job creation) during economic downturns. And, as Krugman delights in pointing out, the right itself uses Keynesian arguments (though it certainly doesn’t label them as such) against potential defense-spending cuts and their consequent, losing effects on American jobs.

This basic concept — Keynesianism — is not economics graduate-seminar stuff, although God knows that professional economists have, in their uniquely disputatious way, managed to splinter it into a multifront, multischooled war of academic carnage. The elementary principle, however, remains intact: In times of economic slump, government spending creates jobs.

And liberal pols shouldn’t be shy about aggressively barking the indisputable truth.

33. October 31, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I need a favor friends. PM Carpenter is now on Twitter and I’m asking you to show him some love by following him – It is @CarpenterPM

Thanks.

34. October 31, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Carl Franzen October 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Boeing on Monday announced it has struck a deal to lease an old NASA Space Shuttle hangar to build its new commercial crew capsule, CST-100, aiming to create 550 jobs by the time the facility is scheduled to be at full operations in 2015, a minor economic boost to an area that NASA estimates has suffered 4,000 job losses since 2009, when NASA began preparing to retire the space shuttle, according to the Associated Press.

35. October 31, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Political AnimalBlog
    October 31, 2011 2:45 PM

The war on voting continues apace

By Steve Benen

Facebook Twitter Digg Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious

David Savage has a terrific piece on the Republicans’ war on voting, offering another stark reminder of the barriers GOP officials are putting between certain kinds of Americans and the ballot box.

Barack Obama may have won this crucial state [Florida] three years ago on the Sunday before election day when “souls to the polls” drives brought a surge of blacks and Latinos to cast ballots after church.

Florida had opened the polls two weeks early, and even so, long lines across the state prompted the governor to issue an emergency order extending the hours for early voting. Propelled by waves of new voters including college students, Obama eked out a win with 51%.

It will be different next year, a result of changes in the voting laws adopted by the Republican-controlled Legislature.

Early voting was reduced from two weeks to one week. Voting on the Sunday before election day was eliminated. College students face new hurdles if they want to vote away from home. And those who register new voters face the threat of fines for procedural errors, prompting the nonpartisan League of Women Voters to suspend voter registration drives and accuse the Legislature of “reverting to Jim Crow-like tactics.”

It’s not called the “war on voting” for nothing.

I’m not sure how much clearer the circumstances can be. Republican officials in a variety of states are trying to rig the 2012 elections by making it harder for Americans most likely to vote Democratic — African Americans, students, the poor, the elderly — to participate in elections. It’s really as simple as that. They’re not even being subtle.

One leading GOP policymaker in the Florida legislature told Savage that coting “is a hard-fought privilege. This is something people died for. Why should we make it easier?”

That’s a ridiculous question. Why should policymakers offer more access to Americans to participate in their own elections? Perhaps because we live in a democracy made more vibrant by Americans who choose to cast a ballot?

Here’s a better question for Republicans: why should they deliberately make it harder to vote?

Race clearly plays a role. Risa Goluboff and Dahlia Lithwick recently noted that the Republican efforts to restricting voting rights in 2012 look “an awful lot like methods pioneered by the white supremacists from another era that achieved the similar results.”

As for the other side of the debate, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, in an apparent attempt at self-parody, said restrictions on voting are worthwhile because of “the infamous example of ACORN.” Seriously, he actually said that. (Reminder: voter fraud is a myth limited to right-wing imaginations, and ACORN no longer exists and was never found to have engaged in election irregularities.)

Remember, we’re not just talking about a state or two. This is, as Savage’s article noted, “a national trend,” occurring in states “where Republicans have taken majority control,” including key battlegrounds like Ohio. One independent study projected that GOP restrictions “could make it significantly harder for more than 5 million eligible voters to cast ballots in 2012.”

Richard Hasen, an election law expert at UC Irvine, told Savage the new Republican rules “could easily decide the outcome” of next year’s election.

A recent quote from Digby continues to ring true: “Democrats had better hope that the coming elections aren’t close. If they are, there’s just no way they can win with these laws that are coming on line. And that’s the plan.”

36. October 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Tina Casey October 31, 2011, 9:00 AM
    The algae biofuel industry is still in its infancy but the U.S. Navy is already planning ahead for a robust future.

Earlier this year, the Navy successfully tested a 50-50 algae aviation biofuel blend on a Seahawk helicopter in flight, and now an algae biodiesel blend has passed muster during tests on a 135-foot landing vessel.

The ship, a conventional Landing Craft Utility (LCU) 1600-class, went through its paces earlier this month using a marine fuel blend composed of one-half algae biodiesel and one-half NATO standard multi-purpose naval fuel, called F-76.

October 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Jane Hamsher here. Why are there only few donations to http://www.janehamsherispsycho.com why? why? why? WHY????!!!!!!!! Don’t you love me? Don’t you know that this money will be used to expose Barack Obama as a fraud? He’s not a real liberal. HE’S NOT A REAL LIBERAL!!! I’m the real liberal. Please show your love by donating.

October 31, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Hello Jane, Ron Paul here. I’m organizing three rallies: “Legalize Weed Now,” “Bring All the Troops Home Yesterday” and “Cut Government in Half” I’ll expect to raise some serious coin from those rallies and will funnel some to your PAC…

• 124 MTmarilyn
      October 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Sorry Jane, Scott Brown here I am going after the Koch’s money. Don’t have any for you today!

38. 125 halo
    October 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm

That Rick Perry speech was such a disaster. Good to have you back, Chips.

39. 126 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 31, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I don’t mind you being rich. . .

40. 127 Ladyhawke
    October 31, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Cantor Rakes In Wall Street Donations While Calling Occupy Protesters A ‘Mob’

41. 129 Marlz (@marjgra)
    October 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Do you know why this Cain nonsense started? Well, my view is that they do not want anyone to talk about Rick Perry and his crazy speech of the weekend. Who is talking about that. . . NON ONE! They want Rick to get a second chance!

• 130 Marlz (@marjgra)
      October 31, 2011 at 3:17 pm

AND 2. . .
      Romney not wanting to have interviews!

• 131 LOL
        October 31, 2011 at 3:34 pm

You are correct. That “speech” by Mr. Giggles did him no favors. They may call it enthusiasm..I call it weird. If he can’t handle the audition…. how in the H E double hockey sticks will he handle the actual job. Romney will be the most underwhelming nominee any major party has had in years…and he like the coward he is, he will wait till everyone disqualifies themselves and then swoop in- and this is supposed to be a *potential* Commander in Chief. He is really playing too cute by half..and thinks people will just fall into his arms. I’m seeing a third party candidate from the tea party coming in August of 2012. I have gone to the “dark side” and they are really thinking about not voting in 2012, *allowing (LOL)* Obama to win and then thinking the country would be so pissed at Dems that they will wildly swing Right and elect a hardcore nutjob, er Republican, like Palin, or Paul Ryan in 2016.—They must be drinking some of that happy juice Perry got his hands on.

42. October 31, 2011 at 3:29 pm

START THE CLOCK: President Obama’s campaign manager, Jim Messina, sent out this statement after Denver, Hempstead, N.Y., and Boca Raton, Fla., were chosen as three places for presidential debates in October next year:

“The President looks forward to next year’s debates. Once the Republicans have selected their candidate, we will work through the details with their campaign and the Commission on Presidential Debates.”
    Pool-

43. 135 nospin
    October 31, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I am on the distribution for conference calls at the White House and received the attached earlier today.

From the White House
    Friends:
    We are pleased to announce several White House conference calls scheduled for next week:
    On Monday and Tuesday, October 31st and November 1st, please join us for a series of conference calls with important updates on the Fiscal Year 2012 appropriations bills. Each call will feature a speaker from the Office of Management and Budget and will focus on one of six issue areas: women; social safety net organizations; education; consumer protection; foreign aid; and the environment.
    The OMB leaders who will speak on these calls are the same individuals working with Congress to develop appropriations bills that reflect the administration’s priorities, invest in key programs and services, and focus on creating jobs. They will offer a detailed look at their approach to the process and will bring you up to speed on the latest developments.

Please share this information with your members and affiliates, and other interested parties.
    These calls are off the record and not for press purposes.
    Thank you.

WHAT: White House Conference Call – Appropriations and Women’s Issues, with Heather Higginbottom, OMB Deputy Director
    WHEN: Monday, October 31st
    Start Time: 3:30 PM EDT
    Dial In: (800) 288-8961
    Call Title: White House Update
    To ensure an adequate number of lines, please RSVP here. http://www.whitehouse.gov/webform/white-house-conference-call-appropriations-and-women-s-issues

WHAT: White House Conference Call – Appropriations and Education, with Robert Gordon, OMB Executive Associate Director
    WHEN: Monday, October 31st
    Start Time: 4:00 PM EDT
    Dial In: (800) 230-1085
    Call Title: White House Update
    To ensure an adequate number of lines, please RSVP here http://www.whitehouse.gov/webform/white-house-conference-call-appropriations-and-education

WHAT: White House Conference Call – Appropriations and Foreign Aid, with Robert Gordon, OMB Executive Associate Director
    WHEN: Monday, October 31st
    Start Time: 5:00 PM EDT
    Dial In: (800) 230-1059
    Call Title: White House Update
    To ensure an adequate number of lines, please RSVP here. http://www.whitehouse.gov/webform/white-house-conference-call-appropriations-and-foreign-aid

WHAT: White House Conference Call – Appropriations and Social Safety Net Organizations, with Martha Coven, OMB Associate Director for Education, Income Maintenance, and Labor
    WHEN: Tuesday, November 1st
    Start Time: 10:30 AM EDT
    Dial In: (800) 398-9386
    Call Title: White House Update
    To ensure an adequate number of lines, please RSVP here. http://www.whitehouse.gov/webform/white-house-conference-call-appropriations-and-social-safety-net-organizations

WHAT: White House Conference Call – Appropriations and Consumer Protection, with Kenneth Baer, OMB Communications Director
    WHEN: Tuesday, November 1st
    Start Time: 10:45 AM EDT
    Dial In: (800) 398-9379
    Call Title: White House Update
    To ensure an adequate number of lines, please RSVP here. http://www.whitehouse.gov/webform/white-house-conference-call-appropriations-and-consumer-protection

WHAT: White House Conference Call – Appropriations and the Environment, with Heather Higginbottom, OMB Deputy Director
    WHEN: Tuesday, November 1st
    Start Time: 11:00 AM EDT
    Dial In: (800) 398-9389
    Call Title: White House Update
    To ensure an adequate number of lines, please RSVP here. http://www.whitehouse.gov/webform/white-house-conference-call-appropriations-and-environment

Stay Connected

44. 136 donna dem 4 obama
    October 31, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Will you 99% please stop protesting at my billion dollar conglomerate. Why don’t you all go get a job…oh that’s right we’ve been lobbying congress to not pass a jobs bill. Well anyway go fill out some jobs applications somewhere and just get from out front of my company.

“On Saturday, nearly a hundred 99 Percenters in Kansas took their complaints about this corporate influence in democracy directly to the Kochs by marching on the Wichita headquarters of Koch Industries.”

Silly hippies!!!

45. October 31, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Proud posting as Proud: Oh I just love that pic of our President’s hands! They are awesome just like the rest of him. And his wedding band is so unique.

46. October 31, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Gosh that photo of the President’s hands just made my heart skip a beat. They as so delicate and so many other things I’m thinking about. Okay I’ll stop now.

47. 148 criquet
    October 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Happy Halloween everyone.
    If you have a good stomach see below:

Some pushback but this is what we are up against.

48. 149 anameti
    October 31, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I think that Romney’s strategy is digging up dirt on his opponents. The whole republican field is crazy but Romney’s tactic is downright scary, No interviews, no substance, all he does is stay in the shadows and with the help of the media, swing dirt. After months of campaigning, I still have no idea how Romney intends to fix the economy Romney is not only unfit to be president, he in my opinion is dangerous.

49. 150 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    October 31, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Hey, Sarah Palin here. I’m late but I’m worth it, Charlie. Got here are fast as I could on the liberty express dontcha know. I’m handing out the candy to the trick or treaters. We just had Paul Revere and his friend Pocahontas. She’s the one who helped him warn the British about the revolution or some such. Also too, I’m back in Alaska these days shooting bears.

RSS OFA