Nov

heads up – and chat away

White House live

The State Column: Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman was reportedly bitten by a goat during his latest campaign trip to New Hampshire…..

“As Jon Huntsman stumped in New Hampshire this weekend, trying to give voters a taste of what a Huntsman presidency would be like, a local goat named Izak quite literally got a taste of the former Utah governor when he nibbled on his knee at an event in Dover”….

….. Speaking Monday, Mr. Huntsman joked about the incident, saying he hopes the goat is not an indicator of things to come.

“He took a bite out of my kneecap,” Mr. Huntsman said “Is there a better indicator in the state of New Hampshire than how well you do with the goat

Thanks Hopefruit :lol:

Jimmy Kimmel will host next year’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner (April 28) – they sure make these announcements early :???:

Dorothy Rodham, the mother of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, has died at 92. Clinton had canceled a trip to London and Istanbul to stay with her mother, who had become ill.

Rodham died shortly after midnight, the Clinton family said in a statement.

“Her story was a quintessentially American one, largely because she wrote it herself,” the statement said. “She overcame abandonment and hardship as a young girl to become the remarkable woman she was – a warm, generous and strong woman; an intellectual; a woman who told a great joke and always got the joke; an extraordinary friend and, most of all, a loving wife, mother and grandmother.”

Gallup: Herman Cain is the only candidate whose Positive Intensity Score has increased in comparison to Gallup’s initial measurement earlier this year. In fact, each of the eight candidates Gallup tracks began with scores in the double digits, but now only three remain in that range.

:oops:

Ted Sorensen (May 8, 1928 – October 31, 2010)

But this guy knew JFK better, right? ……

Huge thanks to Rock (@Tigerfists88) for this video and the other ones he posted in the comments

162 Responses to “heads up – and chat away”

1. November 1, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Bringing over the encouraging stories from the last post

Feds break up $18M Los Angeles-area Medicare scam

• November 1, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Hi WiW, I’ve been meaning to ask you to add ‘INTERNATIONAL’ as a state to our 50 States TOD list. I was thinking of you adding it alphabetically, then you could add my name and later other TOD ‘foreigners’ who are interested can have theirs added. For example, I happen to know that ChristiMtl is already actively involved on Twitter and would more than likely be a part of this initiative. So, would you add this ‘new state’ in, please? Thanks

2. November 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

This is an inspiring story

Doctor’s street medicine helps cure homelessness

3. November 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Good Morning TOD family.

Here is a perky lady in “hot pink” who was one of the Presidential award winners last week.

Ida Martin: 2011 Presidential Citizens Medal Recipient

4. November 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm

My final post for a while, busy busy all day.

So I am not sure if I am embarrassed or delighted that my Halloween character (Jon H) was bitten by a goat. I know Herb gets all the spotlight what with sexual harrassment and campaign finance issues, but come on…..

In the “good old days” the press went nuts over trivial stuff, how come no one is covering Jon’s goat bites politician story. What does a guy have to do to get some press? I thought the media loved Hunstman :->

November 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm

WiW – I don’t think we can blame you for the goat! :) Goats should perhaps be the new Republican mascot. Huntsman was bitten by one, and wasn’t the book W was reading when he got the news whispered in his ear on 9/11 called, “The Pet Goat”?

I don’t know what this says about Republicans, but methinks some in the animal kingdom can smell a rat, if you know what I mean.

• November 1, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Wasn’t McCain bitten by a goat in ‘o8?

5. 13 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

WHY ARE WE FORCED TO LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE?

This is a masterpiece from “Please Cut The Crap” on the incompetence of the Republican Party. My favorite sentence is “Why are we forced to listen to these people?” Please read this post and get it to as many eyeballs as you can. Knowledge is power.

Want Proof That Current GOP is Incompetent? You’re Welcome.

================================================

The basic premise of this post is simple. The current incarnation of the Republican Party is absolutely incompetent to run government, and the evidence is clear to anyone who bothers to look. I start with the national debt and economy, but I go a whole lot farther. Stick with this to the end, and you’ll have a hell of a tool to use to show people. We have to defeat these people politically, and all we need is the truth. The two parties are NOT the same. The Republican Party is demonstrably less competent than the Democratic Party, and their political ideology is demonstrably a sham.
    To put it mildly, Republicans are not to be trusted with the economy. Every major economic problem in this country for the last century can be traced to the GOP. When the economy tanks, their solution is to do nothing, which always makes the situation worse. They keep proposing the same economic policies they’ve pushed since the 1920s, which have been proven detrimental time and time again. They don’t care about deficits unless it’s to their political advantage. And when they complain about them, they still refuse to take any steps to actually solve the problem, such as raising taxes on the very rich, even temporarily.

Republicans are constantly trying create an “unregulated free market,” which is a recipe for disaster. If you think otherwise, try this experiment. Take your money out of your bank and drive to a mall in the richest neighborhood you can find. Now, leave all of that cash on your car seat in full view with the doors unlocked. How much of that money and see if it’s there when you get back. THAT is an “unregulated free market,” folks.

Why are we forced to listen to these people? Why are they allowed to have a forum that is at least equal to everyone else, and why doesn’t anyone call them on their rhetoric? Journalists, do your goddamn job! The next time some Republican asshole is on your show telling you that cutting taxes increases revenue, be rude and call “bullshit” and show him the statistics that prove that. The stats I use in this column are very easy to find.

But let’s get deeper than the federal budget deficit. There’s a lot more.

=================================

• 14 aquagranny911
      November 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm

This is stellar. I just emailed the link to everyone on my list and I pulled a copy of the diary to take to my next OFA meeting. Thanks for sharing. This is great and useful info.

• 15 GGail
      November 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Ladyhawke. This is an article with teeth! I’ve emailed it to friends and family to use.

• 16 DoNoHarm
      November 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm

That link is the best info to cover any issue about the R/Tps “take our country back.” Thank you.

6. November 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm

OK – I take it back – the press does love me.

Here is a great story about me and the goat. Includes a picture of the goat, but no picture of me,,,,sigh

7. November 1, 2011 at 12:43 pm

on my way to class this morning, I was listening to the TJ morning show and guess who was on? Tweedle Dumb. He was talking about how lucky PBO was. How luck got him his seat in the state legislature, and luck got him his seat in the senate, and I’m sure Tweety would say that luck got PBO the presidency too. He was like, “a few months ago, I didn’t think PBO would win re-election, but now……” God, I hate that man. He goes on TJMS and talk about our first black president getting this far in politics due to luck? Not PBO’s hard work and personal sacrifices? I fucking hate that turd-faced guerilla :x

• November 1, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Tweety was on Tom Joyner, Lisa?

• November 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm

yep. he came on this morning. he was such a douche. talking about how PBO was lucky.

• 29 proudofobama
          November 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I hope you get to see this question, Lisa. I have to know how Tom Joyner responded to this nonsense. Did he challenge him at all? This says it all about Tweety. He has the nerve to go on TJM who has 8million black listeners and talk this way about the president? Please tell me Tom challenged him?

• November 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm

No, I didn’t hear him negate what Tweety said. Tweety was like, “talk about luck,” then he was talking about PBO in the state legislature then the senate, Tweety was like “one of the guys he was running against had marital troubles and when that happened” he basically dropped (in polls or out of the race was the implication) and that’s how PBO won. Then he talked about some other guy who PBO tried to beat but couldn’t (forgot his name but he was black). And Tom was like , “uh-huh, uh-huh”, question, question. Tweeety is an asshole who apparently can’t give credit where it’s due. If a black person succeeds it’s because of luck or affirmative action. He’s such an ass.

November 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Lisa I think we need to contact Tweedle Dumb, is that Chris Matthews? Anyway we need to let Tweety know that Barack Obama didn’t have a rich father to buy his way in and out of things. You know like John Kennedy’s dad.

• November 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I keep wondering who Tweety is that everyone refers to. Fill me in, I am way behind. Thanks

• 35 itgurl_29
      November 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

And what did Tom Joyner say? I find this whole “luck” think offensive. It’s the liberal version of “you only got where you are because of affirmative action!”. PBO is President not because of his own hard work and intellect. No, he’s president because of some dumb luck.

I can’t stand these people. I hope Chris’s jealousy just eats him alive. Oh, and JFK ain’t half the man PBO is. The man himself was nothing like the myth that was created after his death, let’s just be real about it.

• 36 Debz
        November 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I would like to know what Tom Joyner said too. That “luck” crap is offensive. Especially since PBO is the only President I can think of who wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He has had to overcome many things in his life to get where he is and he did it on his own through his extraordinary intellect and work ethic.

• 37 mb32
          November 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I think one of the initial appeals of Clinton was that he wasn’t wealthy either. Small town, blended family, etc. I think that’s why a lot of people connected with him. He’s wealthy now that he’s left the WH.

• 38 Debz
            November 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I forgot about Clinton, but he did have white privilege going for him. No one every said he got where he was based on “luck” What they said was what a brilliant politician he was, and how smart he was.

• November 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Not true — very few recent US presidents were born with “silver spoons” in their mouths — not Bill Clinton, not Ronald Reagan, not Jimmy Carter, not Richard Nixon, not Dwight Eisenhower, not Harry Truman, not LBJ, and not Gerry Ford.

You have to have tremendous drive to want to be president. Birth circumstance may help a little bit (like in the case of Kennedy) but you know the country was filled with bigots in 1960 and JFK had some serious odds to overcome.

• 41 Obama Grandmama
        November 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm

It seems to me that Chris Matthew is needing to prop up his hero at the expense of PBO. Yes, JFK was indeed a great president, but the Bay of Pigs was a major blunder before the standoff with Cuba was won. JFK was a genuine war hero. What was the comparison of JFK’s affairs being okay because they were romantic vs Cain’s sexual harrassment charges about on LO last night? JFK was forsaking his promise to be faithful to his wife. I do not consider that okay because it was consensual. PBO is a good example of what a husband, and father should be like as well as a good decision maker and leader. Why does CM have to tear down PBO to raise up JFK? That might make a good tweet to tweety if anyone wants to use it as I don’t tweet.

• November 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Someday, all these blowhards are going to try to pretend they were huge Obama supporters. It will be like all the people who now claim that Rosa Parks and MLK are their heroes, when you know fully well they were either indifferent, or downright hostile to the civil rights movement.

• November 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm

And why do we tear down JFK to raise up PBO??? PBO stands on his own and doesn’t exist in some comparative universe. . .

• 44 dotster3
        November 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I always got the impression that it’s Howard Fineman who is poisoning Tweet, Howard and his mythical “sources”. Fineman has never been able to hide his animosity toward Obama. He feeds story lines to Tweet who has a very impressionable mind—-we see the ups and downs every day, depending on who whispered what to him the night before. It’s a very clever way for Fineman’s views to get on the show which Matthews controls.

November 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

That is true dotster. I’ve noticed the same thing, with Tweety’s show being anti-Obama whenever Fineman comes on as a guest. When Gadaffi was killed, Fineman was MIA for 2 days. He was no where to be found on any of the msnbc shows. His job is to concern troll the President, make him seem weak and ineffectual while propping up the Republicans.

I am waiting for Fineman and Tweety to endorse Romney – it’s just a matter of time.

• 46 JoJothecat
        November 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

“Luck”? The only things Barack Hussein Obama is lucky (I characterize it as being blessed) for is that he had a loving mother and grandparents, who nurtured him into the man he is today. He was blessed to be born from two very intelligent parents who passed on some truly remarkable smarts and his mother teaching him his values system….after that, it was all up to him on how he wanted to conduct his life. He has conducted his life exemplory that anyone and everyone should be proud of. If he were white, hispanic, asian, etc., I would say the same.

• November 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Tom didn’t negate him. I didn’t listen to the entire thing cause I was on the shuttle, but I didn’t hear Tom say: “wait a minute, are you saying that PBO is lucky that he didn’t work hard for what he’s achieved?” Tom just kept asking him questions.

• November 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Mathews is trying to sell his book. I think he’s a lot like Romney in that he doesn’t have a core, so he will keep on saying what he thinks will attract attention and eyeballs. All of us together know a lot of people. We go on Facebook, Twitter, attend meetings, talk with friends, family, etc. I think we should DISCOURAGE everyone we know from buying Tweety’s book. Write little reviews on Amazon about it and make sure not nobody, but nobody, ever considers giving one to you as a gift. Then we can tweet Chris Mathews often to tell him how many people we persuaded from buying his book. Make him understand the consequences of undermining and lying about PBO.

• November 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh, Luck????? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee :roll:

8. 52 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The “Hour of the Jackals” is upon us guys. Jay is at the podium…….

9. 53 FiredUpInCA
    November 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Real people power. Watch and learn tea partiers…

“Bank of America Corp. is dropping its plan to charge customers $5 a month for making purchases with their debit cards, a person familiar with the situation said.

The move is a rare concession to customer sensitivities over fees.

The move is a dramatic retreat following decisions by several rivals in recent days to drop customer tests of the new fees. SunTrust Banks Inc. and Regions Financial Corp. also said Monday that they will stop charging customers for debit-card transactions.

Bank of America decided against the fees due to negative customer feedback on the plan and the moves by rivals, which left the Charlotte, N.C., lender as the only big bank planning to levy the fee on some customers next year.”

• 55 utaustinliberal
      November 1, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Yes! Awesome.

• 56 Olivia
      November 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I’m still closing my acct with them. The whole affair has left a bad taste in my mouth…

• November 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oh wow! People power, indeed. Things really are going to change, aren’t they?

• 58 PoliticalJunkessa
      November 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Excellent! I still hope they go under, though. Greedy bastids.

• 59 PurpleShoesLA
      November 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm

the part they left out was “for now”. :-) After all their CEO still firmly believes that he is entitled to make a profit. Being the cynical person that I am, they will find a way to get that $5 somehow, either through spreading it across existing fees or creating a new fee. When this story first broke, I recall reading an article about how the big banks raked in $13 Billion dollars in these kinds of fees alone (and this was before Dodd-Frank). It’s a nice little revenue stream without them having to make money on the core busness model which is to actually lend money to consumers, small businesses, housing loans–silly stuff like that :-)

• 60 nospin
      November 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I had been calling, writing letters and instant chatting with the folks online calling them out with it. The worst part was they weren’t going to charge me folks who have a premier or higher account they were only going to charge folks who didn’t have a lot of money in the bank.

That was just wrong and that is what I told them. I was going to close all my accounts and I had been with them for over 20 years.

November 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm

It’s hysterical to me that my bank – Regions – is canceling the new fee and returning any fees already collected. They got $4 from me last month, and I’m getting it returned. Now what huge purchase will I make? :)

I feel like I’m a part of OccupyABank (I had called them saying how annoying it was, when I found out it wasn’t just BofA) and damn it feels good.

Have a feeling they will drop or lower other fees here and there and highly publicize it, and then raise everything again when nobody’s looking.

Ah, capitalism. And “we” fall for it every time. ENOUGH!

10. 62 FiredUpInCA
    November 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm

“Dorothy Rodham, mother of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, died shortly after midnight today -”

She lived and saw a great life, raised a great daughter. Rest in peace.

November 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm

So sorry to hear about Hillary’s Mother.

• November 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Umm,It’s always sad weeeeeeehen you lose your Mom :-( Hillary and Family, are In my prayers and thoughts.

• November 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

OOPS! weeeeeeeeeeeeeehen = when. I am sipping on a heineken, hehehe. I guess It’s going to my head. :-)

• 67 HZ
          November 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Yes, you are so correct in your statement about Hillary’s mother. It is difficult when your precious mother makes her final day of her journey from this life. My prayers go out to Sec. Hillary Clinton and her family. I miss my mother so much.HZ

“Mothers and Roses are much the same
          Both are God’s masterpieces….
          Each with a different name.”

November 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Awww … beautifully said, HZ. My mother has been gone nearly six years, and I miss her every day. What a treasure. And she loved a good joke, as apparently Mrs. Rodham did. I always picture all of the ancient ones up in heaven laughing hysterically now!

11. 69 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

The AP asks for feedback for the Herman Cain scandal. Unbelievable. Of course, Jay has no comment. Thank you Jay.

• 70 dotster3
      November 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Of course Carney knew to avoid that. And it’s almost impossible to stay current—–Cain has had quite a remarkable memory awakening in 24 hrs., like coming out of a coma. Today he’s cancelling out that 2-3 mo. salary settlement memory that suddenly came to him after denying the whole thing yesterday to today telling an interviewer on HLN it was really more like a 3-6 mo. pay settlement. Cain is putting on a clinic on how NOT to handle a scandal.

• 71 Ladyhawke
        November 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

It sounds like Cain is coming undone fast. It’s been like musical chairs with the GOP presidential candidates. It reminds me of Queen for a Day. Bachmann was on top, then Romney was on top, then Perry was on top, then Cain was on top. It could make you dizzy.

• November 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

But can you Imagine these Presidential Candidates expects the American People to buy, believe the *THIT* they are trying to sell us????? I mean really, what kind of fools do they think we are. SHAME on them! they’ve got some nerve, to want our vote for their CON rhetoric. We the People need to show them In 2012, just what we think of them. I would love to see the American People oust the Rethugs, and replace them with TRUE and SINCERE Democrats, and I’m sure the TODers are hoping for the same thing. ENOUGH all ready. They are SHAMEFUL and PITIFUL to expect us to continue to put up with them. Mcconnell, Cantor, Boehner, Ryan, and others need to be OUSTED. Gosh I would love to see that.

12. November 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Chips that goat pic and caption had me on the floor.

13. 74 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm

An affiliate gets to ask a question. Wants to know about the American Jobs Act and high speed rail in Florida considering Florida has rejected HSR in the past.

14. November 1, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Ed Henry: fat-faced fuck. Sorry for my language, I just hate his behind.

15. November 1, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Qatar’s first legislative elections to be held in 2013. Guess the rest of the ME dictators realize the domino effect of arab spring is real after all.

• 80 dotster3
      November 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

See that Condi Rice is going around saying that we all have George W. Bush to thank for the Arab spring as she prances about on her W. Rehabilitation Tour. That W must have been an AMAZING president! :) He keeps getting credit for everything positive that has happened during Obama’s presidency. Condi asks, ” Are you going to believe me, or your lying brain?”

• November 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

yeah, who can forget that flying shoes monster ? :)

November 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Condi? Oh, yeah, Gaddafi’s girlfriend. (Sorry – couldn’t resist. I’m sure she got creeped out by him, too. Although she did have a high regard for W, so who really knows what her standards are.)

These fools on their rehabilitation tours should really just go home and leave the rest of us alone. The historians will take care of W, thank you very much.

16. November 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Go Jay. Ask he VA gov abt the jobs, stupid Ed Henry.

17. 85 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Ed Henry controlling about bonuses. Wants to know if the White House is outraged. Jay says implementing Dodd Frank might help because there is a say on pay provision that addresses bonuses for executives. Ed conveniently overlooks the obstruction by the Republican Party to prevent the implementation of financial reform.

Ed Henry carrying water for Speaker Boehner. Parrots word for word some criticism about number of jobs will be created in Virginia.

Another reporter wants to know exactly what PBO will be discussing with the Democrats today. Next question will be why he is not meeting with the Republicans.

There it is…..she just wanted to know if he invited GOP, will he ever invite them. Jay has nothing to report right now.

Next question is what is President Obama doing to influence the super committee. PBO put forward his plan already. They know what it is. Congress has that set of proposals to guide them if they wish. Jay says the task of the super committee is challenging but it’s not that complicated. The plan needs to be balanced. How many times do we have to say that?

• 86 utaustinliberal
      November 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Well Eddy fat boy maybe he doesn’t want to meet with repugs because they act like spoilt tantrum throwing children. Gosh. He’s concern trolling knows no bounds.

• 87 Ladyhawke
        November 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I know, Boehner might as well be sitting in Ed’s seat. It’s infuriating. The American people are not being served by these reporters. They focus on silly nonsense anything but the facts. it’s no wonder large swaths of the American electorate have no clue about what has been accomplished by the Obama administration.

• November 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Is it too much to hope for that Henry ask Boehner and McConnell these questions?

18. November 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I suggest that you bypass the comment section for this article; it’ll just make you annoyed and/or angry…

Previously, our very own CNN producer Sheila Steffen shopped for a week’s worth of groceries for $30 – the amount which would be allotted by food stamps. Now, Washington D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton is one of a dozen democratic Congressmen taking part in a food stamp challenge organized by various religious groups. The participants are allowed to spend no more than $31.50 a week. That comes to $4.50 a day. The objective is for lawmakers to see for themselves how it feels to live on a limited food budget.

The National Food Stamp Challenge comes as lawmakers on Capitol Hill ponder spending cuts that could adversely affect programs that assist the poor and elderly.

19. November 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I don’t get this virulent concern with marijuana laws. It’s just not the most pressing issue IMO.

20. 96 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Next question from an affiliate in Hampton, VA about some dispute with the governor and FEMA.

Reporter brings up the Bill Daley interview where he stated Democrats and Republicans have frustrated President Obama. The search for controversy continues unabated….

Jay makes it clear that Republicans are out of step with everybody on job creation (even their own constituents). We have to take action on the things we can control;.

A reporter wants to know if PBO will consider delaying Dodd-Frank. Amazing….. Jay says NO.

A nosy reporter wants to know about comments to be made tomorrow by President Obama on infrastructure and construction projects.

Jays says congress working on passing Hall of Fame coins is not creating jobs.

Mark Knoller wants to know about Fort Monroe …..

21. November 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Stupid reporter asking what took Pres O so long to issue exec orders. PBO just put out his jobs bill. They are so stupid.

22. 98 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Mark Knoller is concerned about Republicans that might be embarrassed by the bridge visit tomorrow.

An affiliate from PA – About the AJA and the obstruction of Republicans congress. Jay says PBO will do everything in his power to spur job creation using executive orders. Jay say PBO wants congress to act for the good of the country. Jay says the frustration is that the AJA was constructed with elements that were bipartisan on purpose. They wanted congress to act. But they continue to obstruct. President Obama still hopes the Republicans will do the right thing. The election is a year away. We need action now.

An affiliate from Minneapolis – Why did he wait until now?? These are not the first actions he has taken since taking office. Jay says he has stepped up because there is urgent need because Republicans in congress refuse to act. It is more intense because we just can’t wait for congress. Just look at the turmoil in Europe. There are things that we can not control. But we can control what we do here in Washington. PBO is focused on that.

Jay says the AJA is filled with provisions THAT REQUIRE LEGISLATIVE ACTION that required congress action

A reporter on EO for homeowners and question about HAMP.

23. November 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Local media chosen because you idiots don’t do your damn jobs, Brianna, CNN hack.

• 100 Ladyhawke
      November 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Exactly. Bianna always asks the snarky questions. Bottom line, the jackals are useless. The only way to get the facts out is to go over their heads.

24. November 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm

When Scarlett Johansson graced the cover of Vanity Fair in 2006, she was wearing nothing at all. For the magazine’s current December cover, she opted for clothes, but talked nudity in an interview about her recent phone-hacking scandal. She also chatted about the president.

Back in 2008, the actress boasted about exchanging emails with Obama, campaigned for him all over the country, sang “Yes we Can” and said, “My heart belongs to Barack.”

Three years later, have her feelings changed? “We’re all guilty of being idealistic, I and everyone who voted for him,” she told Vanity Fair. When asked if she would stump for the president again, she said, “It would be irresponsible not to.”

• 102 Desraye
      November 1, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Yea, I remember the MSM trying to make a big deal about the email exchange between her and Candidate Obama. The story never grew legs. I do believe that Ms. Johansson has a little crush PBO, but who can blame her.

• November 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

guilty of being idealistic, not listening to what he actually said, treating his election like another Hollwood diet or you know whatever.

25. 104 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm

CNN wants to know how the affiliates were chosen.

Jay says this is a unique day with the affiliates behind the scenes. It’s important for the American people to hear from their president.

Americans get their news from their local affiliates. PBO wants to be sure they understand what is happening on their behalf in Washington, DC.

26. 110 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Another affiliate asks about OWS. What is the federal policy on dealing with protesters?? Jay refers reporter to DHS because of an incident on federal property.

Jays says PBO understands the frustrations of the OWS protesters. Say everyone should behave in lawful way.

The end…..

• November 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I sense that some in the mainstream media are waking up to the fact The President is bypassing them and going directly to the local affiliates. And they’re not happy. Brilliant strategy.

• 112 Ladyhawke
        November 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Exactly. The jackals are embarrassing. The very fact that the AP reporter asked for WH feedback on the Herman Cain scandal tells you all you need to know. That was pathetic. We have a jobs crisis and AP thinks President Obama should weigh in on the self inflicted wounds of Herman Cain.

• November 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm

This puts me in mind of how the Prez deals with the GOP. First, give them **multiple** opportunities to do their jobs in a reasonable way. Then, if they can’t seem to learn, move on to another approach. Heads up GOP and GOP water carriers, Prez is determined to get to his goal by any workable, legitimate path, and you can walk with him, be passed along the way, or get stuck on a dead-end path by yourselves. Press on, Mr. President + Presidential Team!

• November 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Excellent point, vcprezofan2! The US “media” is the biggest enemy our country has. Is it any wonder PBO and his Team have been figuring out how to go around them to get their message out? We won in 2008 in spite of them..course, we had 8 years of bush-cheney that the corporatemediawhore$$ finally couldn’t cover up to help us. But, now the “media” has had three years to work on bringing PBO down and they’re more determined than ever to keep him to a one term president. Thank goodness for tweet and the internet..and TOD! And, all the other pragprog sites who actually report the news. Reality Based..Priceless!

“First Rule of being an Obot..Facts and Context Do Matter.”

• 117 ber6964
        November 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

From Our Brilliant President O!!

27. November 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Heeyy everyone..!! :D Apparently chris “spitty” matthews or @hardball_chris or @hardball doesn’t know who he’s dealing with:

FIRED UP…!!

+############### ++++ +++++###########++
    +###############++++++#++############++
    +################+++++#++############++

• November 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Ouch!!! Good one Rock!!

• November 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Brilliant Rock, thank you!!

• November 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

my pleasure…word on twitter is that he’s been going around on msnbc pushing his lameass book, because outside the village his credibility is as thin as toiletpaper… #EPICFAIL

• November 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Thank you for the endorsement videos, Rock. I love the measured tone of the Sorensen-Rose tape. My question is “How come you could find these videos and Tweety’s research team couldn’t?” It bothers me that in as advanced a country as the USA you can not only write any garbage and get it published as long as you have money or contacts, but you can bamboozle listeners by pushing your drivel on the airwaves at any time. This is ‘not fair’ to listeners who may not be very discriminating, to those who still feel that if it’s on the air there’s got to be some truth to it. Aagrrrh!

• November 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I am sure that even Tweety remembers how strong and important Ted Kennedy’s and Caroline Kennedy’s endorsement of PBO was. I don’t quite understand why he is promoting his book by doing a negative spin on PBO — the JFK story stands on its own just as the PBO story does . .

• 124 LunarSea
          November 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm

“his credibility is as thin as toiletpaper” Yeah, that’s what I’m feeling

• 125 donna dem 4 obama
      November 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

BAM Rock!!!

Off to tweet that 1st one to tweety.

• 126 JoJothecat
        November 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I really love going down campaign 2008 memory lane. I miss Teddy Kennedy he is sorely missed in the senate and in america. He was such an icon for so many years. Missed you too Rock, I love seeing the PBO – yes we can icon you post here.

• 127 LunarSea
      November 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Those are absotively posolutely inspiring clips. Thanks for that. Particularly love the Sorensen clip with C. Rose.

He could’ve responded ‘In what respect Charlie?’

Rock on!

28. 128 FiredUpInCA
    November 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Inviting local affiliates into the White House press briefing is in essence a Presidential executive order to work around the do-nothing media just like he’s working around a do-nothing GOP.

Memo to the media and the GOP: Do not sleep on the guy who won in 2008. Just because you incessantly underestimate him, doesn’t change the facts. He’s still thoroughly beating you at your own game and smiling as he does it.

29. November 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm

rotflamo @ huntsman’s -2 rating. No wonder karma took the form of a goat and bit him. Fucking clueless backstabber – huntsman nor karma.

• November 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm

It’s spectacular amk, isn’t it?! I would have thought even Satan would have a better Positive Intensity than -2 :lol:

• November 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Yup chips. Of all the candidates I would like to see being kicked in the ass all the way to curb, huntsman is at the top.

• 136 PoliticalJunkessa
          November 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

LMAO @ >>” No wonder karma took the form of a goat and bit him.”<< :lol: :lol: :lol:

• November 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I think Huntsman thought that he was going to take advantage of disgruntled voters and independents. Believe it or not, a lot of people view him as a traitor. He quit his job just to run against the man who chose him as an ambassador. I hate to say it, but I am loving his ads against that pretzel Romney.

• 138 LunarSea
            November 1, 2011 at 8:38 pm

he he he he Musta been the Goddess Gotcha or perhaps proof that God has a sense of humor LMAO

• 139 JoJothecat
      November 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Guess Huntsman like wasting his own money. I can’t imagine anyone giving him money.

November 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I think he wants to be considered for the post of VP. I also think that the media corp is hoping that if Perry and Cain are out of the way, Huntman may have a fighting chance. The GOPMEdias are hoping for either a Huntsman or Romney presidency.

• 141 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
          November 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hopefuit I keep telling ya’ll it will be Romney. Im sure the Obama campaign is preparing for the flip/flopper as we speak.

30. 143 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm

THE GOP SABOTAGE MEME GOES MAINSTREAM

========================================

I remember a post by Steve Benen back in November 2010 called “None Dare Call It Sabotage”. It was at a point when many people suspected the GOP was purposely trying to sabotage the economic recovery, but not too many were saying it out loud. Well, fast forward to November 2011 and things have changed dramatically. The sabotage meme has gone mainstream. it is just common knowledge now. More and more politicians are calling the GOP out. Senator Schumer has been very vocal on this issue. David Axlerod did not mince words recently in an interview on CNN. Jim Messina has broached the subject. And now the DNC Chairwoman is weighing in…….

October 31. 2011

GOP STRATEGY: ROOT FOR FAILURE

by Debbie Wasserman Schultz

November 20, 2010

NONE DARE CALL IT SABOTAGE….

by Steve Benen (10/20/10)

31. November 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm

From my twitter timeline:

RT @Pnthrgrlgail: RT @Fedup_Mom Here you go @TheRevAl . @hardball_chris telling Politico PBO too “arrogant” for his own good. http://politi.co/tcXosT

32. November 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Our Blacks Are So Much Better Than Their Blacks”

Our blacks are so much better than their blacks. To become a black Republican, you don’t just roll into it. You’re not going with the flow…”

Ann Coulter on the Sean Hannity Show, October 31st, 2011

Some of the more obnoxious celebrity conservatives like Ann Coulter seem to be hell bent on making “Republican” synonymous with “ridiculous” as they pull out all the stops to protect Herman Cain’s candidacy. Many right wing pundits, TV and radio commentators insist unequivocally that there is a high tech lynching of Mr. Cain by the “liberal media” going on, but they are wrong. The members of the lynch mob in this particular scenario are all card carrying Republicans.

“Our blacks are so much better than their blacks.”

“Volcanic” is probably too gentle a word to describe the Mount Vesuvius that raged within me as I tried to process this sentence. I will leave it to someone like Melissa Harris-Lacewell to deconstruct the tone of ownership in Coulter’s voice that jumped right off the screen and smacked me and countless other African Americans dead in the face. To Ann Coulter, and her surrogates, all I will say is this—there is no need to apologize, or walk this statement back, or tell me that I am “taking it out of context”, because I got the message loud and clear the first time. This is just the kind of thing that makes black people yank out their credit cards, pull up http://www.barackobama.com, and click the “Donate Now” button.

The kind of people who are true believers of the ridiculous stuff people like Ann Coulter are prone to spew are the kind of people who turn others off with their fanatical ideological rigidity. What the Republicans really need right now, though, if they are going to have a real chance of winning the White House in 2012, are the kind of people who can turn people on, not off. The kind of cheerleaders who have the credibility needed to push for a more inclusive party. But people like Coulter and her ilk are so boxed in by their own rhetoric that they can’t afford to jeopardize the allegiance of the “us versus them” audience they have spent years cultivating.

• 149 nospin
      November 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

“Our blacks are so much better than their blacks. ” I watched her make that comment and immediately thought bish please and turned the channel. Not wasting any energy in focusing on her stupidity.

• 150 LunarSea
      November 1, 2011 at 8:45 pm

On her planet it made sense to say that.

33. November 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The Worst Political Party
    by BooMan
    Tue Nov 1st, 2011 at 01:16:29 PM EST

In 2009, New Jersey voters went to the polls to elect a governor. Their choices were not promising. On the Republican side was a former U.S. Attorney who had done enough of Karl Rove and Alberto Gonzales’s bidding to avoid getting fired. On the other side was the former co-CEO of Goldman Sachs. In a just world, they would have both been in jail instead of on the ballot. Maybe Jon Corzine will be there soon. Despite the New Jersey electorate’s heavy preference for Democrats, they couldn’t stomach another four years of governance from a symbol of the economic collapse. Corzine was kicked to the curb.

It’s now two years later and the economy hasn’t improved all that much. Goldman Sachs remains unpopular and people are “occupying” Wall Street to protest economic injustice. It seem to be a very bad time to put forward a political candidate with close ties to the banking industry or the financial services sector. But it must be a really bad time to nominate a candidate for president with ties to the second biggest Ponzi scheme in recorded history. And that appears to be what the Republicans are on the cusp of doing. As Think Progress reports, Mitt Romney has close business, political, and familial ties to the Stanford Financial Group, which carried out a $8.5 billion fraud on its investors.

It is bad enough that Romney built his fortune at Bain Capital specializing in Vulture Capitalism. In a time of economic insecurity, who wants to be led by a man whose greatest expertise is downsizing companies and outsourcing jobs? But to discover that his response to the second biggest Ponzi scheme in history was to have his son recruit the crooks and then to invest $10 million to have them set up another investment company?

Let’s deal with some facts. Never in recorded political history have we seen a candidate for office who has taken three sides of so many issues. No one has ever flip-flop-flipped as many times as Mitt Romney. On top of that, the conservative base of the party absolutely hates the man. They don’t trust him for good reason, since he never sticks to a position. And many of the conservative Christians (particularly Southern Baptists) consider Mormonism a competitor as well as a cult. These are two massive liabilities for a nationwide candidate. If you can’t fire up your base and you can’t stand on any principle, you already have two strikes against you.

But being a Vulture Capitalist who goes into business with Ponzi Schemers? Huge Ponzi Schemers? That has to be a third strike.

Looking at the Republican field of candidates, almost all fair observers have come to the conclusion that Mitt Romney is far and away the strongest and most viable general election candidate. That has certainly been my opinion. And what’s truly scary is that despite these Think Progress revelations, I think it’s still true that Romney is the GOP’s best chance.

While ordinarily I would predict that Romney’s ties to economic fraudsters would doom his prospects for the nomination, his competition is imploding right along with him. Rick Perry is so bad as a candidate that The Economist is openly mocking him. After putting out a trial balloon about skipping some debates (because he does so poorly in them), Perry went up on the air in Iowa with an ad that tried to turn his weakness into a strength.

“If you’re looking for a slick politician or a guy with great teleprompter skills, we already have that, and he’s destroying our economy”, Mr Perry says, nodding toward both Mitt Romney and Barack Obama. “I’m a doer, not a talker”.

To which The Economist responded:

Not to be overly pedantic, but talking is a kind of doing. Indeed, talking is primarily how one gets things done in politics. How does Mr Perry convey that he is a doer, and not a talker? By talking. What else is there? Interpretative dance? A presidential candidate unable to best a foe in a public exchange, or to communicate his position on a complex issue when the heat is on, is about as useful as a one-legged fullback. There’s a good reason Mr Perry’s embarrassing debate performances have left him trailing Herman Cain by 15 points in the polls not long after he entered the race with a comfortable lead: a candidate this feckless on his feet would be eaten alive by Barack Obama in the general-election debates.

And then there was Perry’s strange speech in New Hampshire on Friday night that left NPR asking:

Has any modern major-party presidential candidate in recent memory ever given a speech that left so many people afterwards asking if he was under-the-influence during his talk as was the case after Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s now infamous appearance in New Hampshire last Friday?

Then there is the tortured spectacle of Herman Cain trying to explain away a couple of sexual harassment settlements the National Restaurant Association made on his behalf in the late 1990’s. Yes, he is benefiting financially off the revelations in the short-term, but his bumbling response does not bode well for his long-term prospects, especially in a general election against President Obama.

With the Big Three Republican candidates all simultaneously imploding, there ought to be room for some lower-tier candidate to move up. But it is impossible to see more than about a quarter of the Republican base embracing Ron Paul, whose positions on foreign policy and the drug wars are anathema to most conservatives. And no one other than Mr. Paul is even showing a pulse in the nominating contest. Rick Santorum’s campaign is smart enough to smell blood, but that can’t change the fact that their candidate is ridiculous and the object of ridicule. Michele Bachmann is out of money and ideas. Almost by default, that leaves no one but Newt Gingrich and Jon Huntsman to pick up the slack. Paul Gigot thinks Newt might surge to the front of the pack, and I can’t say he’s wrong. It seems more likely than Jon Huntsman suddenly getting traction.

One thing is certain. This is the worst political party this country has seen since the Whigs disintegrated.

34. 152 Ladyhawke
    November 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

GOP Cuts To Heating Assistance Mean One Cold Winter For Millions Of Americans

35. 153 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    November 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

PEOPLE NEED TO REMEMBER THE FACT THAT SENATOR TED KENNEDY STRUGGLED WITH HIS HEALTH PROBLEMS, FIGHTING TO SEE PBO’S INAUGURATION. THE REMAINING KENNEDY FAMILY SAW AN ENORMOUS JFK COMPARISON IN THEN SENATOR OBAMA. A MAN WHO I REGISTERED TO VOTE DURING THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN…CRIED..AND SAID HE HAD NOT VOTED FOR A PRESIDENT SINCE HIS WAS SHOT…JFK AGAIN MY FRIENDS! THE FIRST PERSON I THOUGHT OF WHEN I SAW SENATOR OBAMA WAS JFK…MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT. PBO IS NOW MY FAVORITE AND THE GREATEST PRESIDENT AMERICA WILL EVER SEE IN ITS HISTORY!

• November 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm

yes indeed JFK and PBO have an extraordinary amount in common despite their very different birth circumstances. When I think of both men, I think of grace, composure, calmness, pragmatic idealist, blazing intelligence, superb judgment, and the strength to make the tough calls..

36. November 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

November 01, 2011 1:10 PM

Rick Perry keeps falling for urban legends

By Steve Benen

In August, Rick Perry complained about a new regulation that would require farmers to get commercial drivers licenses if they drive their tractors across the road. It’s a common urban legend in GOP circles, but it’s not true.

In September, Perry complained that President Obama gave Brazil $2 billion to help with their offshore drilling projects. A right-wing chain email has made the rounds making this claim, but it’s demonstrably false, too.

And now it’s happened again.

Satire may not be Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s thing.

Last Friday, at the swanky Barley House tavern in Concord, N.H., Mr. Perry took a little jab at the Occupy Wall Street crowd, referencing an amusing quote his son had sent him from a protester occupying Toronto.

“I don’t know if it can be proved up or not,” Mr. Perry conceded, “the young man’s name was Jeremy and he was 38 years old. But he said, ‘We got here at 9 o’clock, and those people, this was in Toronto, I think Bay Street is their comparable [Wall Street], he said those bankers that we came to insult, they’d already been at work for two hours when we got here at 9 o’clock, and when we get ready to leave, you know, they’re still in there working. I guess greed just makes you work hard.”

So what’s the problem? There is no “Jeremy” — the quote Perry paraphrased appeared in a satirical piece that ran in Toronto’s Globe and Mail. The piece became a chain email, Perry’s son sent it to him, and the governor failed once again to separate fact from fiction.

I imagine many of us have conservative friends or relatives who send around right-wing chain emails. Most of us, hopefully, realize that the vast majority of these political myths and urban legends are nonsense.

The fact that Perry struggles so frequently in this area is not a good sign.

• 156 JoJothecat
      November 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Perry is Sarah Palin in a suit….speaking of the devil, she’s been awfully quiet. Thank goodness for small favors.

37. 157 Don
    November 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

No Chris Matthews, President Obama isn’t arrogant or too cool for his own good. President Obama isn’t interested in hosting Washington dinner parties where potentates and villagers gather to talk about how important they think they are. I believe that President Obama doesn’t think much of Washington, he will put up with its peccadilloes only if it will help in forwarding his agenda. In short, President Obama doesn’t suffer fools too long.

November 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Tweety is becoming unhinged now that he realizes that there are ZERO GOP candidates that he can get tingles up his leg for. The Perry thrill was a big disappointment, and Bachman is long gone.

• 159 Sue in Minnesota
      November 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thank you, my thoughts as well. And Chris has shown himself to be a complete fool and MSM tool.

38. November 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

The senate just passed the second spending mini bus.
    At least they ate getting something done!

39. November 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

My mom said that Matthews was on the BBC channel saying awful things about this president.
    This has got to stop!
    He has a big problem with this President, he sounds like Maureen dowd!
    I guess it mist be tweeted turn to go around bashing the President.
    Because, you know, nobody will interview him unless he goes off on the President! That is like a litmus test for news reporters, if ya ain’t bashing we ain’t interviewing.

BBC- really Chris?