Nov

down under

NT News: President Barack Obama has been insured against crocodile attack for his visit to the Northern Territory. TIO issued him the standard policy – a cover note carrying a photograph of a saltie with the promise to pay $50,000 in the event of a fatal attack.

Chief executive Richard Harding said the insurance policy had been framed and would be presented to the president during his visit to Darwin on Thursday. … “We’re excited to be issuing one of these policies for President Obama as a memento of his time in the Territory.”

TIO has been selling the $10 cover for 23 years – but President Obama will get his for free.

:???:

Canberra Times

CNN: A new poll shows Mitt Romney leading the GOP presidential field by a wide margin in New York, but a majority of voters statewide said they would choose to re-elect President Barack Obama if the election were held today.

Romney was the choice of 32% of Republican voters in the state, double the support of businessman Herman Cain, who was second at 15%, according to a Siena College Research Institute poll released Tuesday.

….. Fifty-seven percent of registered voters said they hold a favorable view of the president … He also carries a wide lead over Romney in a hypothetical matchup, 59%-34%.

Full article here

MSNBC: In light of Herman Cain’s moment yesterday …. it’s worth noting that he wrote a book in 1999 titled “Speak as a Leader: Develop the Better Speaker in You.” In that book, he offers advice about public speaking, particularly on how to handle media interviews.

….. “First, if you know the topic ahead of time,” he writes, “plan the key points you want to make during the interview and be able to state those points in a variety of ways. If you will be doing frequent interviews with the press, then a media training course would be advisable in order to learn effective communication techniques. Second, there is no such thing as off the record. If you say it, then assume it might be used at some point. Third, expect the unexpected and be prepared to remain calm and professional.”

Bloomberg: Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said during a Nov. 9 debate that he earned a $300,000 fee to advise Freddie Mac as a “historian” who warned that the mortgage company’s business model was “insane.”

Former Freddie Mac officials familiar with the consulting work Gingrich was hired to perform for the company in 2006 tell a different story. They say the former House speaker was asked to build bridges to Capitol Hill Republicans and develop an argument on behalf of the company’s public-private structure that would resonate with conservatives seeking to dismantle it.

Full article here

92 Responses to “down under”

1. 1 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm

♥ ♥ ♥ Good Afternoon Chips! Good Afternoon TOD Family! ♥ ♥ ♥

Barack Obama Quote O’ The Day

We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

Have a great day, everyone! :-P

November 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Beautiful, beautiful quote. Thanks, PJ!

3. 10 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 15, 2011 at 12:20 pm

The campaign next year will be fun — a wild, hairy ride. However, I wish we could hold the election today — re-elect PBO and elect a Democratic Congress to work with him. I think America is *just* about fed up.

November 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Hahaha Crocodile insurance. Gotta love the Aussies. :)

November 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm

When are Cain’s accusers planning to hold the joint press conference. I thought it was this week?

6. 19 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
    November 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm

hmmm……………most TODers seem to be a little miffed at the Supreme Court and their underhandedness and why they are working the ACA now. PBO and his administration must be confident they will get a favorable ruling for they are the ones who have brought it to the Supreme Court attention. I’m sure the Obama team has not forgotten Bush 2000 and the United ruling that has effected our politics for the forseeable future. I guess I have faith in PBO’s wisdom. More will be revealed in the upcoming months. :cool: Obama/Biden 2012.

• 20 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      November 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm

…………that being said, just a thought here…..maybe PBO is trying to expose the Supreme Court to the world just like he has the corrupt Congress. Stay tuned folks. :wink:

• 21 57andFemale
      November 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

For whatever reason, the Obama administration has been orchestrating that the Supreme Court take up the case, and this would have been the time. Not that I wouldn’t put it past the Roberts Court to do as much damage as possible to the Obama administration and to ACA, there’s a good deal of information out there that the administration wanted the case brought during their first term.

7. 22 debbyeOh
    November 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I love Aussies: they have such a casual way of being. We Americans (cool as we are) would clean up our homes, tidy up and all, but never admit to it! They, on the other hand , are admitting to putting on the Ritz! Enjoy your time there, Mr President, may the Lord watch over you!

8. 23 Fred
    November 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Superintendent Chew says police expect large crowds to turn out to see Mr Obama. ;)

”I think there’d be a lot of interest in the President coming to town,” he says.

”Mr Bush came out here in ’03 and he attracted some crowds but I think Mr Obama is a different type of president and has a different sort of crowd attraction place,” he says.

”And I think we’ll see the Canberra public out and about to at least view the motorcade because he doesn’t have any public appearances outside the Parliamentary Triangle.”

9. 25 defytheodds
    November 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm

2011 Governors Awards Video Highlights
    Honorary Oscar! Oprah accepts her Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.
    Oprah’s acceptance speech:

10. 31 bonkers
    November 15, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Good to have crocodiles covered. Now let’s get President Barack Hussein Obama some Repub ankle-biter insurance and win back the House! You in?

11. November 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I have been checking what the news organizations are saying about the President’s trip–not much. Until I started hanging out here, I didn’t realize how the media ignores President Obama, especially his trips to other countries. Other then this site, I haven’t seen any pictures of the crowds he attracts in other countries. The cracks about him being “off on vacation” will overshadow the work he is doing on our behalf. I don’t get it–as he looks towards our future with trade agreements etc. the talking heads only mention that the leaders wore suits instead of some stupid shirts.

• 34 theo67
      November 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm

That’s why the ground troops for the 2012 election are so vital. As I drive around, I realize that most of the people I pass don’t have a clue what this President has been doing for them all this time. And when the media reports the failure of Republicans as simply a “failure of government”, and they don’t elaborate on who is actually causing the slow recovery – then people just lump everyone into the same bucket. I challenged someone from OWS on twitter last night, who lumped Dems and Repubs into the same bucket and said neither is doing anything about Wall Street – which isn’t true. Someone else last week from OWS sent me material to read, claiming that OWS had specific goals and demands, but all it was was a list of grievances, no action.

If people simply vent their frustrations, but don’t attach some concrete plans to support President Obama, legislation or GOTV activities – or even to just inform themselves of what the two parties have been doing for the last three years, then you’ll have some people voting for some nostalgic image of Republicans from the past, or even voting to “give the other guy a chance”. Every time I hear some nonsense about how the state of the economy is President Obama’s weakness in 2012, and then I see the ideas coming form the other side (end Medicare and Social Security, pass a balanced budget amendment, start another war, do nothing) – I seriously see red.

We have to get the word out, because the media isn’t going to do it. And most people haven’t’ been paying attention, or they haven’t known where to get real information. Use twitter, Facebook, email, person-to-person contact, join OFA. The stakes are so high.

• 35 donna dem 4 obama
        November 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Truer words were never spoken. Amen theo67!

I get frustrated having to have to constantly do the medias job and this OWS ordeal has made things for our side (IMO) even worse. I am constantly challenging them on Facebook about the “both sides are bad” meme. The most frustrating are the ones who should know better. I have a FB Friend who worked tirelessly on the 08 campaign. After the election she was a neighboorhood organizer for OFA and worked with OFA on the ACA. She even introduced the President at the DNC here in DC when he thanked all the top volunteers from around the country. Now for the last two months all she has talked about is running around to help OWS-Richmond (VA) until the mayor shut them down. Just comment after comment about OWS and the tone about PBO has completely changed. So here I am constantly reminded her of the merits of this Presidency. I’ve never seen so many forces against one man trying his hardest to do the right thing as I have seen with this one.

• November 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Definitely with you 101%, Theo!

And yes, DD4O, the bottom line is each Obamabot will have to constantly do the media’s job in their own personal world** heading into 2012. It IS frustrating, but it is the one sure way we have of countering the faux news. A kind of ‘each one teach one’ approach, because the bottom line is that the media types already have theirs and for most of them that seems to be all that matters.

**Newer readers, please see the States sign-up sheet at What is Working’s blog which is listed in the blog roll.**

• November 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I know, Auni…look at all what they’re missing out on! This is another area where the US corporatemediawhore$ show exactly how they’re plotting against our country. It’s not just PBO who’s being ignored..it’s the Democracy in the USA.

I feel sorry for those who don’t have the advantage of seeing all the beautiful representation of President Obama in other countries. No, he just gets ugly snide remarks as in “he’s on vacation” by the mediawhores.

12. 38 SueBee
    November 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

The Australia visit warms my heart already. Why can’t America love their own President like this?!

• 51 Fred
      November 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm

:twisted: :mad: :roll:

• November 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I honestly laughed out loud at that article, Jessica, it was comical. But what else would we expect from George W. Bush’s chief speechwriter (2001 – 2006)! It would be nice if the Washington Post put that info beside his name, just so everyone knows his agenda.

54% of Catholics (http://pewforum.org/Politics-and-Elections/How-the-Faithful-Voted.aspx) voted for the President in 2008 when they knew he was pro-choice – but Gerson thinks they will not vote for him in 2012 because he’s still …. pro-choice? Okay. Excellent logic.

Best of all is Gerson’s implication that all Catholics hold the same conservative views on these social issues …. he really needs to get out more.

November 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Exactly Chips. And even in the comments section they think Gerson is Nutz.

• 55 Jessica
        November 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I said the same thing. He’s turning his back on them bc he’s pro-choice. Okay.. I also thought it was funny that he said Sebelius was embarrassing herself because she’s…. you guessed it pro-choice.

• 56 utaustinliberal
        November 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Exactly. He is 100% misinformed. Not all catholics hold conservative views on social issues. The catholics I know, both young and old, white, black, asian, hispanic are HUGE President Obama supporters, very pro-choice, and very pro-gay marriage. It would shock people like Gerson that when they actually interview us catholics and not just view us as a monolitithic group, they’d be shocked to find that there are many social liberals amongst us.

• 57 donna dem 4 obama
          November 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

When I attend Mass on Sundays I just look at the Obama stickers on cars and smile to myself. This guy doesn’t have a clue. You are 100% right Ut.

• 58 a4alice
        November 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm

really? I’m conservative? Hold it……let me check with my Catholic self…..nope….. still a tree hugging liberal. Who is this Gerson guy? Let me help to set him straight……

• 61 Desraye
      November 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

The comment section is excellent.

13. November 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

The House is debating in whether or not to carry a condensed firearm over stateliness.
    You see, all these votes ate just fundraising votes.
    They do nothing for the economy, but it dies fill their camping coffers!

14. 71 nospin
    November 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm

G’Day, Mr President
    BY JUDITH IRELAND
    16 Nov, 2011 12:01 AM
    Parliament House is abuzz with expectation and preparations. Everywhere you look there are signs that POTUS is coming. POTUS is coming!

Over there, a small group of worker bees are hosing down the windows in the corridor that leads to the House of Representatives.

Over here, AFP officers are strolling the building in those navy jumpsuits. You know the kind that suggest they haven’t come up to learn about the legislative process.

Australia’s Ambassador to the US Kim Beazley is hanging out in Aussies again. And cars with diplomatic plates are running between Parliament and Yarralumla as if they’re competing in a foreign affairs relay.

Out in the forecourt, ADF members run through their paces for the big military welcome. They crouch on the ground, eyeing off the distances, making sure their formations, salutes and steps are POTUS-worthy. Someone barks warnings about what happens when the motorcade arrives as cameras are pre-positioned.

The band strikes up a rousing version of Waltzing Matilda. So much so that Matilda is actually marching this time. But US and Australian officials, milling around to make sure they know how everything will happen, seem not to notice.

In the marble foyer, extra lights and cables have appeared and the Great Hall is now bedecked with American flags.

Even the exteriors of the building have an Obama frisson. The grass is looking lush and juicy – ready to represent the pastures of this great nation. On the slopes of Parliament, the lawns have been mowed into a stripe pattern. So far no stars have appeared. But you never know … in these pre-Presidential times, it’s hard not to get a little bit yeehah and carried away.

• 72 theo67
      November 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

This is so witty! They’re so excited – will have to get up in the middle of the night to observe this.

November 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Will ANY America media carry this live – or will they be replaying clips of Perry/Cain’s brain freeze or OWS folk getting arrested?

• November 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm

hopefruit, sorry to say the answer lies in Chipstick’s brilliant mock-up of Politico. I hope that more and more people will learn of this site which actually COVERS the president and what he’s doing for us on his foreign trips.

I would love to see us “petition” the few so-called liberal shows by bombarding them with requests that if they won’t (or are not allowed) to cover the president’s foreign trips, then they, at minimum, inform viewers about PBO’s trips and direct their viewers to TOD for in-depth coverage!

Go Chipsticks! Go TOD family!

November 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Exactly Pamela. I saw a youtube video of GWB’s speech to the Australian parliament when he visited in 2003. Not sure how much coverage he received, but he was heckled during the speech.

• 76 Mel
          November 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I do not think so unless POTUS makes a mistake or something , so far the MSM have NOT mention what
          PBO is doing from Suturady or who he meet with to Speak witjh21 leaders of the world is nothing for the
          MSM all we hear is about Cain/Perry and the rest of the GOP garbage, But that’s O.K as PBO said to
          Univision TV let’s roll the TAPE.
          I’am very confident that PBO is going to do well NOT to worried MATES.

• 77 Me4obama
      November 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm

OMG I thought I couldn’t love Ausies more but I do. But I don’t think any country will ever top the excitement heading to the visit in Ireland (moneygall) I will wait and see what happens in Australia. Go Ausies.

15. 79 Betsey
    November 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Lately, whenever I’m visiting TODville, which is as often as I can while traveling, my husband keeps asking, ‘What’s so funny?’ The live blogging of the GOP ‘debate’ got me into one of those states where I couldn’t stop laughing. And the Politico front page was fabulous. Chips, you’re amazing, and getting more so all the time.

16. November 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm
    • November 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Yea! It worked!!

Anyway, I think we should all start tweet this kind of stuff every day.

• 82 a4alice
        November 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm

right you are BWD. good idea! :-)

• 84 donna dem 4 obama
        November 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hey BWD…I love it. Just retweeted!!!

• November 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

yea, blackwaterdog (love ya so much) . Now if we could just get someone in our so-called “liberal media” to direct folks who are interested in PBO and foreign affairs to direct folks to this site then the American people will be better served!

• 87 utaustinliberal
        November 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I’m with you on that BWD. If we tweet and facebook about TOD more and more people will become informed and keep up with the phenomenal accomplishments of President Obama. Everytime I post on facebook about what he has accomplished or what he’s up to, I get very positive responses from those who I know are liberals and those who I never knew were Democrats. Knowledge is power and we can help PBO spread his positive agenda far and wide.

17. November 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

OOooh, all you people saying these very nice things ….. my face: :oops:

Thank you everyone, you’re a bunch of dotes!

Meanwhile, new post here:

;-)

18. November 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Senate confirms two judicial nominees

By Josiah Ryan
    The Senate on Tuesday confirmed two of President Obama’s judicial nominees to sit on the federal bench.

The upper chamber confirmed Sharon Gleason to be a United States District Judge for the District of Alaska by a vote of 87-8 and Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers to be a United States District Judge for the Northern District of California by a vote of 89-6.  Read more…

19. November 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm

The chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure said he was optimistic an agreement could be reached on a long-term funding bill for the Federal Aviation Administration after a meeting Tuesday with his counterparts in the Senate.

A day after Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller (D-W. Va.) said and Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.) he would have “almost nothing to say to each other” on the FAA bill, the long-time Florida lawmaker sounded a more optimistic note.

“I was pleased to meet with Chairman Rockefeller, Ranking Member Hutchison, and Ranking Member Rahall today to discuss completion of the FAA reauthorization, hopefully by the time Congress concludes its business for the year,” Mica said in a statement.

20. 92 LDS
    November 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I hope my previous comment was received. My lively two-year-old accientally hit a key while sleeping on my lap. But every chance I get I refer people to this site every day. Stickers, ballons, newsletter sure would help make my job easier. I still have to remind myself that everyone does not own or know how to use a computer, tweet, face book. And we have to educate and one-on-one every possible way we can. It is a shame that these positive trips are not being televised. But our President says, “Keep On Pushing”. As long as he will, I will. Thank, you Mr. President for keeping the faith and staying hopeful.