Nov

tribute

The Rev. Al Sharpton reads a letter from President Barack Obama to Xea Myers 11-year-old daughter of Dwight Errington Myers, later known as Heavy D, during his funeral at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, N.Y., Nov. 18

NY Daily News: Even President Obama had nothing but love for Heavy D, the respected New York-bred rapper who was laid to rest Friday after a star-studded funeral in his Mount Vernon hometown.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, speaking during the service, invited the late rapper’s daughter, Xea, to the pulpit and read a statement to the 11-year-old.

“I want to read you something and I want you to keep this, Xea,” Sharpton said, before reading it and revealing that it came from the White House. Obama’s message offered condolences and praised the rapper for his “infectious optimism and many contributions to American music.”

The message drew a thunderous ovation from the 1,500 loved ones and friends gathered at Grace Baptist Church for the private service…..

More here

MTV: “We extend our heartfelt condolences at this difficult time,” the note from Obama read. “He will be remembered for his infectious optimism and many contributions to American music. Please know that you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.”

The Only Adult

Good grief, part 2,036:

YouTube

:lol: Thanks Tally!!!

President Obama meets with China’s Premier Wen Jiabao at the East Asia Summit in Nusa Dua, Bali, November 19

…. with Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra

From the archives (2005):

Thanks for the reminder Zizi

Oh blimey crikey, you people are something else – thank you to everyone who was able to contribute today to the TOD Obama/Biden 2012 fundraiser at OFA, appreciate it so much. We’re gobsmackingly close already to that $6,000 target:

Link

So, here’s a little Hey and Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi! to help push us over the line:

PS:

Meabloom: Chips!! You forgot our Friday’s Good video. Following our amazing POTUS around must have you pooped. I forgive.

:oops:

179 Responses to “tribute”

1. 1 CTGirl
    November 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Heavy D was one of the good guys. His daughter was his heart, I pray for her comfort and strength. RIP!

2. November 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm

It is so rude of PBO to make us all look so small compare to him.

November 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Is this the not connecting with the people Barack Obama. Chris Matthews is full of alot of B.S.

• November 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

• 5 utaustinliberal
          November 18, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Hahahaha. Good one BWD. Right in the kisser.

• November 18, 2011 at 8:54 pm

You’re a warrior, love ya.

November 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Yes Matthews is one.

• 8 Puddin'
            November 19, 2011 at 12:27 am

He has proven to be “one” time and time again…a few week ago I told him he was “one” because he believes PBO needs to learn something from Clinton, Kennedy, Christie…when he starts talking that craziness (like today about PBO not connecting with people) I turn the channel.

• 9 Betsy
              November 19, 2011 at 12:40 am

I was soooo angry with Matthews and screaming at the TV. He DOES connect with us, he DOES, WHAT are you talking about!!!!!

• 10 PurpleShoesLA
          November 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Right on BWD. RIGHT EFFING ON!!

• 11 nospin
          November 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

BWD I felt that slap on the side of my cheek. lolol I know that one left a mark. hah!

• November 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm

That’s just sublime, BWD. Nobody does it better.

• November 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

That’s an Excellent tweet to him, BWD. There’s no reason he should be pushing that shtie unless he really is just a beltway bubble boy.

• 15 Uche
          November 18, 2011 at 10:05 pm

BWD…that was a combined left hook and and upper-cut!. At some point, this drooling bobble head should concede that this whole nonesence is not about PBO,but about his (CM) own inadequacies as a human being.

• 16 Mel
            November 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

A knock out tweety is a phony BWD just perfect you are amazing and thank you.

• 17 L3
            November 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Agreed. I remember during the campaign when Senator Obama was in Afghanistan with the troops and he drained two 3-pointers in front of a gym full of soldiers and media. Chris’s reaction was one of stunned disbelief. He was amazed as he asked his guests, “Where does this guy get this kind of confidence?” It was as though Senator Obama was not of Earth. He was completely shocked that he would even attempt those shots let alone make them. Poor man was completely befuddled and I think he was so pre-occupied with the downside of PBO not making those shots and being internationally embarrassed by it. Our feckless media would have turned it into some kind of disqualifying factor to be Commander in Chief. Chris revealed in that moment that the fear of a negative outcome would have paralyzed him into inaction and it bothered him that in that moment Senator Obama was fearless. I’ll never forget that because at the time it seemed like he was expressing great admiration but now I believe it was a complicated mix of emotions that included admiration, envy, confused shock and his own insecurity.

• 18 EDP4BHO
              November 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm

L3, you have described CM to a tee. His view is and has been from the point of white privilege, along with the presumption that AA’s are just not as capable of governing as folk like him. As part of the ODS, white men have had their long-standing prejudices turned on head, and they cannot accept this without much hand-wringing, and soothing of the soul. It is hard to change a life-long belief system, thus CM and people like him, though they may like PBO as a person, cannot accept his confidence for anything but arrogance. That uppity Negro syndrome endemic is in the American psyche.

• 19 L3
                November 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm

EDP4BHO you are reading my mind. I was reluctant to inject race but I did think about adding to my comment above that the look on Chris’ face said “Who does he think he is or how can this black man possess that level of self-assuredness? Afterall the goal of this country since we were brought here has been to grind us into submission or kill us. I don’t think anyone ever planned on us daring to believe we were equal.

His reaction also reminded me of a scene from the movie Malcolm X when Denzel showed up at the police station with dozens of the FOI to find that one of their members was in a jail cell beaten and bloody. Once the police agreed to allow him to be taken to the hospital, Denzel dispersed several very long lines of men standing in protest with but a mere hand signal and a white police officer said “That’s too much power for one man to have or no one man should have all that power. I can’t remember which, but I’m sure you get the point.

• November 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Wow! L3, EDP4BHO, your exchange just hit this issue right out of the park as if you were sitting in my head, and overhearing my conversations with other Black folks. Thank you for bringing it up here so cogently.

• 21 Puddin'
                November 19, 2011 at 12:41 am

EDP4BHO, you “hit the nail on the head”…I also think Tweety is uncomfortable with fact that PBO’s vey existance has unerthed his deep seated racism…Tweety and his elk are the first to say they are not racist; they have black friends and after all Tweety worked in Africa…PBO has disrupted their whole notion of what a Black man is…

• 22 Betsy
                November 19, 2011 at 12:48 am

I agree with you EDP4BHO and it makes me sad.

• 24 nathkatun7
          November 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Really Brilliant and delicious smack down, BWD!

• 25 sam uk obama supporter
        November 19, 2011 at 4:31 am

I guess I am fortunate not to see Chris Matthews here in the UK but even without ever watching him I do not like what I hear of him. President Obama is one of the most connected people I have ever ‘known’. Thid is bourn out in the love people show him the whole world over. The only ones with whom he does not connect are those who do not want to connect with him.

• 26 24Sass
        November 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I knew I’d find out what tweety said about PBO here. Thanks. He’s an ass.

• 27 Me4obama
      November 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Ditto. What a Mighty human being PBO is!

• 28 EDP4BHO
      November 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Yep, BWD, that’s what Smiley and West live with every day of their envious lives…….their comparative insignificance.

November 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Heavy D was one of the good guys in Hip Hop. Loved him and his songs. I remember driving home from school and listening to a rock station and they announced his death; they paid him a great tribute by singing his songs over and over again. Made me smile. Rest in eternal peace; you great pioneer.

President Obama is a kind, warm, and decent human being. Even throughout the mad cap busy days he has; he takes the time to remember a little girl who has lost her father. One can’t buy class like that.

• 35 sam uk obama supporter
      November 19, 2011 at 4:37 am

utaustinliberal, President Obama is in a class of his own! You mirrored my thoughts exactly when you said that even though he is busy he still takes time to remember a little girl who has lost her father. I cried when I read what Barack had done adn believe me there are very few people who can have that effect on me. He is such a humble, kind caring and compassionate man. i can never say it enough but the whole world is blessed to have Barack Obama President of the USA.

• 36 nathkatun7
      November 20, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Well said, UT!

4. 37 PurpleShoesLA
    November 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm

RIP Heavy D, you were one of the good guys. And our illustrious Prez ,while on the other side of the globe in god knows what timezone by now, singlehandedly rehabilitating our country’s image on the global stage, getting deals done to bring jobs back to the US, and STILL found the time to send a heartfelt message to Heavy D’s family and loved ones. Brings tears to my eyes. Obama/Biden 2012!!

5. November 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I loved me some Overweight Luva! :cry: Nice move from the President to send that note to his daughter.

6. 39 GGail
    November 18, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I am at a loss for words…

I am so filled with emotion that President Obama took the time to pen a few words of condolence for Heavy D’s daughter to cherish and remember fondly along with the memories of her father.

May God continue to touch President Obama with HIS finger of LOVE.

May God embrace Heavy D into his Heavenly Choir

7. 40 xtine
    November 18, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Sorry to be OT, but I noticed a couple or so TODers have birthdays & just wanted to send them a song but I have no clue how to embed here. Chips, hope you don’t mind if I just give the youtube link & hope the b-day TODers get in the spirit of a giggle/cackle, and just plain joy to you:

… and wait, wait for the grand finale!

8. 42 CTGirl
    November 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Per MTV, there was a poem from the president as well:

” During the ceremony Rev. Al Sharpton called Heavy’s 11-year-old daughter Xea Myers to the podium, before reading a poem that President Obama dedicated to the deceased entertainer.”

9. 43 GGail
    November 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm

USA! USA! USA!
    CONGRATULATIONS BOEING, LION AIR AND PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!

10. November 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Have you all seen Herb’s latest offering of foreign policy expertise? Check the post. :roll:

• November 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Good grief he is an absolute effing idiot.. Americans (Republicans) really ought to be informing themselves so they’re not continually falling for the BS these “candidates” are spewing. Rule of thumb I think for all Republicans.. and ‘Independents’- Don’t believe a bloody word coming from these candidates mouths- they are dumb, they are ignorant and they are wrong. Period… oh and they are completely dishonest.

• November 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Hi sherijr, I used to laugh at this stuff (still do, really) but as Rachel Maddow said recently, it’s no laughing matter: one of these creatures could actually win the nomination to run for the Presidency. Confusing Libya with Afghanistan? It’s just beyond belief.

• November 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm

It is, I don’t really laugh- they make me angry with their stupidity.. but what angers me more is the media’s allowance & furtherance of this BS.. and the folks who will vote for them out of either ignorance or hate. I do not for one minute think we have this election in the bag, we may have the best candidate in history (and we do).. but we are still the underdogs, imo.

• 48 Uche
          November 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

The annoying thing is his obvious shamelessness at his own ignorance. He’s wearing it like a badge of honor! He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a compund fool!!

• November 18, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Cain: “We need a leader, not a reader.” Yet another GOP-er who thinks being educated is a bad thing. What a wonderful example they set. I can’t even bring to describe how much I loathe them.

• November 19, 2011 at 12:42 am

Chips, the Republicans worst than 1890’s minstrel show with Cain as the head clown,they are good for slogans and nothing more but a grin and shake your hand.Then put the same hand in your pocket and take your money and tell you that you don’t need it.With all their talking points it comes out only the rich know what to do and keep everybody dumb to facts.While they are robbing you blind.That is the reason they want our kids dumb and greedy (i.e. talk about some dummies 72 day marriage) while not talking about the lies they say.The Clown Show wants us to end education,keep dirty air and not have good roads or high speed transportation.Thank goodness for sites like yours and others who are fighting the fight to keep us all informed.Because if we don’t keep Our President in office we will have nothing left but a total invasion of stupid and GOD help us all.

• 51 nathkatun7
              November 20, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Cain: “We need a leader, not a reader.”

This has to be the most monumentally stupid statement ever uttered by a presidential candidate. How in the World can an illiterate person lead the most powerful country in the world? Why does Mr. Cain and his Republican supporters insist on insulting the intelligence and common sense of the American people? No wonder his colleague (I can’t remember) Rick Perry wants to do away with the Department of Education. These people (as VP Biden would say) literary believe that “ignorance is bliss.” Somehow they forgot another expression hammered into our brains when we were young: “ignorance of the law ( or for that matter of foreign policy) is no defense.”

• 52 TrumpDog
            November 19, 2011 at 5:40 am

It’s because his supporters really don’t care about his gaffes or stupidity.

I really hope he wins the nomination.

• 53 FiredUpInCA
      November 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

“”What they didn’t show was I asked the reporter to be more specific….”

Actuallly, they, and by that I mean the internet, did show you entire, painful, unedited episode so you can’t pull they-edited-me-to-make-me-look-bad-trick.

But its okay, you campaign has already to begun to spin for you:

“Do I agree that they now have a country where you’ve got Taliban and al Qaeda that’s going to be a part of the government?” the former businessman continued.

After his remarks, a Cain spokesperson told CNN the candidate was expressing uncertainty over the makeup of the new Libyan government. The spokesperson also pointed to a Reuters article Thursday that discussed Abdul Hakim Belhadj, a military leader in the National Transitional Council and former Taliban ally. The National Transitional Council is Libya’s interim government.”

• 54 nathkatun7
        November 21, 2011 at 12:11 am

FiredUpInCA, it seems to me that the CNN article you linked to seems to cleverly endorse Cain’s statement. Did I misread it?

• 55 nospin
      November 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Chips – it is clear to me that Cain is simply a distraction. There is no way in hell he would be elected. The man isn’t even trying. In fact, he is going full Monty on stupidity. They are just trying to buy Romney some time and I can’t disagree with the strategy. If it were possible, they should elect three of the Republican candidates as the nominee to go up against our President. Then and only then maybe it would be a fair intellectual fight.

Nah! They still won’t match up to our PO.

• November 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Agree, nospin. He’s putting on a show right now for his own and the Koch boys’ purposes. For the rest of us, it’s kind of a test of the Republican electorate. The percentage of R’s who actually vote for him in any of the primaries will tell us how low a standard Republicans are willing to accept. If something in your brain tells you that Cain, Perry, or Bachman pass even the minimal level of intelligence necessary for become president then you are truly lost to all reason. It’s one thing to want limited government, as the right hypocritically claim, it’s another to want stupid government.

11. November 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Barack Obama Recruits Planned Parenthood Exec
    By Lauren Fox

President Obama’s campaign is bringing in Heather Colburn, who before lending a hand to Obama worked for EMILY’s List, a national organization dedicated to electing pro-choice Democratic women to office, and Planned Parenthood. Colburn joins the Obama team to lead his “Women for Obama” campaign.

12. November 18, 2011 at 9:27 pm

He’s a good soul, to be so busy, to be half way around the world.. and thinking of a little girl suffering the loss of her daddy~ breaks my heart.

On another note: The bball game is Brilliant.. I so wish I was living there because I wouldn’t miss it :) And that AD/ Video by the Dnc (?) is SUPERB!! Had me standing and applauding with tears- well done :)

13. 66 GGail
    November 18, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Poor poor Herbie, tsk, tsk, tsk!

I love and respect how Scott Pelley keeps putting the information out there and letting it speak for itself.

No slant – just the facts. And BOY do the facts speak loudly.

Thanks Chipsticks for posting Herbie. He’s going down in flames!!!!!!

14. November 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I wish Heavy D Peaceful Rest in Eternity. It all seemed just like yesterday when some of us were young and bopping up and down to Heavy D’s sampling of “Now that We’ve Found Love, What are we gona do…” Sweet memories. So long mate.

15. November 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm

First Lady Takes On the Role of Staff Energizer
    By JODI KANTOR
    Published: November 17, 2011

Young campaign workers looked up from their pizza at Obama re-election headquarters in Chicago one evening last month to find an unexpected guest: the first lady of the United States, there to deliver a surprise pep talk.

• 69 PurpleShoesLA
      November 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm

The digs in this purported human interest story are just beyond the pale, like this one:

“In an administration in which so much has gone awry, Michelle Obama has become a dependable source of good news. ” You’d think that the administration had imploded. So ridiculous

• 70 Jessica
        November 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I think author was in a contest to see how many digs he could make at the Prez. It sounded so contrived.

• 71 Chi
        November 19, 2011 at 4:39 am

That’s Jodi Kantor from the NYT who also has a book on the Obamas coming out soon…

Be sure to boycott this two-faced, fair-weather, multi-prong tongued opportunistic wannabe…

They have all taken so easily to the flippant, disrespectful, dishonest narratives they think wins them readership from the anti-Obama crowd…

How incredibly shortsighted these people are…

To not realize that there is a solid segment of society who are starved for solid, honest, credible, positive reporting on this spectacular Presidency…

To not realize that there is a lot of money to be made and a gaping niche begging to be filled to honestly and without malice or spin service this large swathe of smart, decent people who are supportive of and rooting for this once in a generation President and our country by extension…

Forget about it being the honorable, ethical and morally right thing to do…

• 72 nathkatun7
          November 21, 2011 at 12:34 am

Bravo PurpleShoesLA, for calling out the BS! Has any one else noticed, like I have, that the MSM, makes broad un-substatiated generalizations like: “In an administration in which so much has gone awry(sp)….” without providing concrete evidence to support their claims?

16. November 18, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Love the It Gets Better vid! Also love the Black History Minute. PBO’s voice sounded different, but still tres sexy!!! :D

17. November 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

What’s in Cain’s head?

18. November 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Here’s a fascinating analysis from Australian papers on the impact of PBO’s visit. No wonder Willard Romney is gnashing his teeth barking out that PBO thinks he can use personal charm to conduct foreign policy. As if that is a bad thing. If you got it, flaunt it. No?

More surprising is the pivotal role former Prime Minister and current Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd played in this new US Asia-Pacific posture, which the writer called the Canberra Declaration (has a nice ring to it)

Read on…

President Obama finds a J-curve in his travels

Laurie Oakes
    From: Herald Sun
    November 19, 2011 12:00AM

WHEN Barack Obama met the Australian Cabinet on Thursday morning, Julia Gillard introduced Peter Garrett as “a former rock star”.
    The President, who had obviously never heard of Midnight Oil nor its bald frontman, broke into a big grin.

“Most of us end up in politics because we fail to become rock stars,” he said.

But, as he demonstrated during his brief visit to Australia, rock star magnetism is a significant part of Obama’s political success.
    The way he wowed 1000 Aussie troops during his Darwin visit was pure showbiz brilliance. And after his landmark speech to Federal Parliament, the House of Representatives resembled a mosh pit.

At the state dinner on Wednesday night, parliamentarians from the Left and Right, and from all parties, were crowding around like teenagers to get his autograph.

And Obama’s star quality and popularity were central to the success of his visit. If John Howard and George W Bush had agreed to base 2500 Marines in northern Australia on a semi-permanent basis, there would have been anger from at least some Labor MPs, as well as an outcry from sections of the community.

But when Obama and Gillard did it within hours of the President’s arrival in Canberra, there was hardly a peep of protest except from the Greens – and even they didn’t seem to have their hearts in it.

Obama is so widely liked in this country that the alliance with the US has become a much less contentious issue than it was during the Bush era. Gillard could be confident that even ardent Labor Lefties would cop it sweet.

Similarly, Obama’s landmark speech to Parliament proclaiming a full-scale US re-engagement with the Asia-Pacific would not have been greeted with anything like the same almost universal enthusiasm had it come out of the mouth of his predecessor.

Previous US presidents who addressed our Parliament – George Bush Senior, Bill Clinton, and Bush the Younger – said all the right things about the importance of the alliance.

But Obama went much further. His speech was directed not only at Australians but also at the world. It announced a serious rebalancing of US foreign policy.

The exposition of America’s new focus on the Asia-Pacific and its determination to play a major part in shaping the region’s future will be spoken of in years to come as the Canberra Declaration.

And Australia was the appropriate place to deliver it because the Australian Government played a key role in its development.

Within months of becoming prime minister, Kevin Rudd began pushing for a new regional body for the Asia-Pacific region that would involve the US. It should, he said in a June 2008 speech, “engage in the full spectrum of dialogue, co-operation and action on economic and political matters and future challenges related to security”.

THERE was criticism, including from the Opposition in Australia, but the then prime minister persisted. In another speech in December 2009 he suggested that the East Asia Summit might be able to do the job if the US became a member.

In mid-2010, at a meeting of top-level foreign policy and defence officials in the White House Oval Office where Australia’s views figured prominently in the discussion, it was decided that America would join the summit. The meeting Obama is attending in Bali this weekend is the result.

Australia’s aim from the start was to get the US back in the region in a major way after the distractions of Iraq and Afghanistan. The Obama doctrine unveiled in Canberra – signalling that America is here to stay, despite the growing military and economic power of China – shows the plan succeeded handsomely.

A speech Rudd gave as Foreign Affairs Minister to the Asia Foundation in San Francisco two months ago looked like the final push. It was titled “The case for American engagement in Asia – the Australian perspective”.

With the US out of Iraq and winding down its Afghanistan commitment, Rudd argued, “It is now imperative to intensify focus on the Asia-Pacific and the Indian Ocean so that the strategic stability underpinning long-term economic growth can be sustained into the future”.

Rudd also proposed that money no longer needed by the US in Iraq and Afghanistan should be used to shore up American military spending in the Asia-Pacific region. That worked too. In his Canberra speech, Obama duly promised that – while overall military spending will be reduced in order to help Washington make budget savings – the Asia-Pacific region will be quarantined from cuts.

Rudd began and kept pushing the process that led to Obama’s historic declaration. Gillard, through the friendship she has developed with the President, brought it to fruition.

And John Howard, who did plenty himself to bolster the Australia-US Alliance, was in Canberra to see it happen. In fact, he got to meet the President he once deeply offended.

IN 2007, when the would-be Democratic presidential nominee pledged a quick withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Howard claimed that al-Qaida would be praying for an Obama victory.

At the time, the then Senator Obama fired an angry broadside back. But he has now apparently decided to let bygones be bygones. At Wednesday night’s dinner, US ambassador Geoffrey Bleich invited Howard to: “Come and say hello to the President.”

They shook hands. Obama remarked amiably that support for the alliance in Australia went across party lines. “Sure does,” Howard replied, adding: “You’ll find everyone is friendly.”

And no one mentioned the former prime minister’s ill-advised intervention in US domestic politics.

• November 18, 2011 at 9:43 pm

That reminds me, Didn’t PBO say at the Essence Magazine Image Awards in 2005 that “politics is showbizness for ugly people”? Funny guy he is.

• November 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Zizi, your memory is spectacular!

• November 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Hey Chips,
          I confess, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Obamabot.
          Thanks I was trying to load up some funny Australian cartoons of the Pres. Obama visit but for some reason I can’t get them to show. The links are below. If possible, Could you please show them so everyone can see them? Thanks

• 87 AnitaW
      November 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Ouch. I don’t think Al Qaida or any terrorists orgs are wishing for an Obama presidency.

Wonderful article that says so much.

• 88 Puddin'
      November 19, 2011 at 1:02 am

Chris Matthews need to read this…he keeps spreading the lie that PBO doesn’t/can’t connect with people!

19. November 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Hey MSM! Did you all know the President is overseas?
    Epic ignore!

Every show- nada, zip- caput!

• November 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm

It’s just incredible Jovie. It would leave you in despair.

• 91 LOL
        November 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Oh…they will notice when he comes in and has only 3 days to rescue the SUPPPPPERCOMITTEE from utter DOOOOOOM- but the Republicans will walk away and the press will blame the PREZ per the norm.

November 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

And they’ll say he was on vacay and show the photo of him in the traditional shirt in Bali (and maybe ask if it’s a Muslim outfit). Hope the President didn’t fist bump anybody while he was out of town.

• 93 EDP4BHO
            November 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm

LOL…….there you go again. You have the best sense of humor……”.(and maybe ask if it’s a Muslim outfit)”. I need to go to bed. If I continue hanging out with you guys, I’ll end up with a tear-stained face from laughing :-D

• 94 vero804
          November 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Frankly…I don’t know if I want to super committee to succeed. I guess I do, for the simple fact that I want the deficit and talks about cutting to end. That’s a loser for us, politically. We need to talk jobs, jobs, jobs, growth, growth, growth, investing, investing, investing. For all the good within the debt ceiling deal specifics, the process and the overall topic really hurt our guy. I don’t want to go back to that kind of prolonged debate.

• November 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Vero,
            It did hurt this prez, that is why he has ignored these talks.
            That is why the republicans are trying to pull him back into negotiations.
            Nope, let it fail and move on.

• 96 vero804
              November 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Ultimately, I’m with you – I do think the committee should fail and then we need to move on. Everything I’ve been reading show that the Dems are willing to cut more than tax – which is still being rejected by the Republicans. I don’t think they can craft a decent deal under those circumstances. So, let it fail. Then, the president can use their failure as yet more proof that we need a new Congress. It’ll be more ammo for him to run against a “do nothing Congress.”

• November 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Until I saw that tweet from Morning Ignore-

Saying, nobody is paying attention to the President anymore, and that they are tuning him out.

Now, I know what they are up to!

• 99 vero804
      November 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

The MSNBC shows are all-OWS, all evening. I haven’t been able to watch, just flip to see what they’re saying. Ed, then Rachel. I’m just not as enamoured by them as the PL folks are.

This really sucks for people like me who are crazy busy during the week. I haven’t been able to really read and enjoy the blogs or other websites that I frequent to get the news. When I get home, I turn on the tv and do things…it would be nice to catch up – thoroughly – on what the president has been doing in Hawaii and in Indonesia. I’m tired to hearing OWS spin. Bottom line is that they didn’t stop the NYSE, all the walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and what not is pointless.

• 101 nathkatun7
      November 21, 2011 at 2:35 am

Thanks Jovie for shining a spotlight on the epic fail of the MSM! Never in my life have I ever witnessed the utter disregard of of the President of the United States by the MSM. I never imagined that the media would participate in trying to render the President of the United States an “INVISIBLE MAN.” The only time the media gives him visibility is when they are blasting him or reveling in his low poll numbers. Although a great deal has changed with the majority of Americans who voted to elect Barack Obama president, very little has changed with the MSM. As we used to say in my college days, in the 60s and 70s, it’s still true that, for the most part, the only time a black person becomes visible and prominent, in the MSM, is when they are accused of having committed a crime. Every time President Obama’s poll numbers decline that becomes headline news. When his poll numbers improve you rarely hear a pip from the media. Every time right wing Republicans, or the holier than thou Democrats attack the President, despite the unfairness of those attacks, the MSM prominently highlights those attacks. But when both prominent and ordinary people stand up defend the President their views are either ignored or derided. Most importantly, are the blatant efforts by the MSM to deprive Americans from knowing that their President, President Obama, is loved and respected by foreign leaders as well as the vast majority of ordinary people in foreign countries. For example: the media prominently covered both JFK’s and Bill Clinton’s visits to Ireland. Yet the MSM either totally ignored, or scantly covered, PBO’s historic visit to Ireland, which clearly showed that the Irish people welcomed him with love and great enthusiasm.

Likewise, the media ignored the President’s historic trip to Australia to mark the 60th anniversary of the US-Australian alliance. Just as it had ignored his trip to the UK, India, Brazil, and Korea. I have some friends, who never heard of the TOD blog, who were absolutely unaware of what President Obama was doing in his 9 day trip to link up with the Asia-Pacific region. None of them got to see the incredibly warm reception he received in Australia until I turned them on to the TOD blog. As far as I am concerned, the MSM is on a mission to ensure the invisibility of President Obama’s accomplishments. All the MSM are interested in is manufacturing negative news about him that they can sell to the American people to make sure that he is not re-elected. Thankfully, with sites like Chipsticks’ TOD and others, the MSM no longer have total monopoly of news and information.

20. 102 LOL
    November 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Me seezz an eerie parallel.

November 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm

She’s cloned a bunch of ‘em. To me, each and every R candidate sounds just like her. The Rhodes Scholarship people will never come looking for any of them.

• November 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I just experienced cold chills as I scrolled down the thread and stumbled upon this bobble-headed nitwit aka The Original Dingdong. Where’s her sister, Second-rate Imitation aka Poor Man’s Sarah Palin aka Batshit Bachmann ?

November 19, 2011 at 1:51 am

Where did you dig that witch Palin up from?

21. November 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Hilarious Australian cartoon

22. November 18, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I am sick sick of the Media….They ignore him when he does wonderful things overseas…yet they watch every breath he takes to bash him when he’s home…..They know his trip was successful, they dare report anything positive. I let CNN know what’s going last night. What a disservice to the American people. Media waste time on Hollywood break-ups….but ignore a sitting President . Unbelievable!!

• November 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Morning Joe says they are tuning him out, that nobody is listening anymore.
      Then, get rid of all the Jackals! What good are they, if they are not
      going to report on the President?

This is all spite! They thought the economy would trump everything, and now that they know it’s not, they all decide Not to cover him.

Sigh!

• 115 LOL
        November 18, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Yeah…because bringing back jobs to the states is sooooo boring. When Jon Jon can stand on his own and not trot out his daughters or his father’s money—then we will welcome him to the big boy table.

• 116 COS
          November 19, 2011 at 1:00 am

PBO will get his message out on local stations and interviews. a lot of people don’t have cable and don’t watch those shows anyway.

• 117 Mae who love our CIC
            November 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

You are so correct! Most people don’t waste their time to glean paid for tv information. I am sure when someone becomes unemployed or has limited income they are not not buying cable news. The majority of us are busy with the holiday season and we come to this wonderful site to get what we need. Thank God for Chips, a news establishment second to none.
            Happy Birthday Novemberees! It is so many of you.

• November 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm

It doesn’t matter what these nitwits say and do. The president will make known what he’s done in the right way and time, just like he did with the jobs bill. He will be out front from now on and they will not be able to silence him. You don’t honestly think that he’s worked this hard to bring jobs to the US and forge historic Pacific alliances to have low life like Scarborough and his ilk get in his way? I don’t think so.

• 119 Vicky
        November 19, 2011 at 12:29 am

According to some recent research (Pew? Or one of our schools of journalism?), media coverage of our Prez is 9% positive. Which means . . . yeah – 91% negative!!

The corporate press would like to ignore him. But then the man goes traveling around the country and just lights up lives.

None of them has his intelligence, looks, and charisma. Gotta be driving them crazy. Gotta love it!

• November 19, 2011 at 1:23 am

My sister and I were reminiscing the other night about how the press used to cover President Kennedy’s trips abroad. The coverage was almost reverential, regular programming was pre-empted, serious political scholars would comment on what the trip, meetings, reception would mean for our country. The idea that our president would be admired by other nations was considered a foreign policy plus for the US, essential to our national security and economic well-being. Nixon was followed to Latin America even though the reception was hostile. Our posture when it came to the international diplomatic arena was taken seriously by news media whichever party was representing us abroad. What on earth has this country become that we take no pride—even in the face of other countries—in our own leadership; and in this case in exemplary leadership?

Politicians who have granted so much power to the telecommunications industry, to merge and consolidate have done our democracy an almost fatal disservice. Legislation abrogating the Fairness Doctrine, court rulings that lying is a function of free speech have undermined this democracy as invidiously as any Fifth Column.

Our president needs us in ways previous generations could not have anticipated—to counter in as many ways as our imaginations can generate—the ignorance, lies and treason of those who would overthrow elected power with intimidation, dishonesty and incited violence.
      I don’t mean to be melodramatic, but I consider this a war for the hearts and minds of our fellow citizens in a rapidly and unpredictably changing environment. We must create a new media and we must agitate for a more responsible existent media to educate and enlighten one another. Blogs like Chips’ are certainly at the forefront of this new media.

I pray for us.

• November 19, 2011 at 1:42 am

Uh oh! I fear I got carried away with the negative, Chips and TOD’ers. I guess I’d better time-out my own posting for a while and set me down on the naughty mat! Sorry!

• 122 Chi
        November 19, 2011 at 4:58 am

Absolutely spot on and brilliantly articulated fancieful…

• 123 Mae who love our CIC
        November 19, 2011 at 8:54 am

Spot on and I agree. They can’t stop truth. They may impede truth, but the truth will come forth every time by any means necessary. If the leaves on the trees or the rocks on the ground has to tell it, it will be known in due time. Amen.

• 124 Tally
        November 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm

You’re absolutely right. There are no words for how disgusting a fucked up our press has made this country.

23. November 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Lol. Piers Morgan just asked William Shatner what he thought of the Prez and he said he is wonderful.
    I thought piers was gonna cry!

November 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Did you notice that William almost answered with an “L” word? I swear he almost said, “I love him” before he switched to saying he was wonderful.

• 133 Jessica
      November 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Piers Morgan has an obsession with asking people what they think of the Prez. Everybody who comes on his show he asks them what they think of the Prez.

• 134 Lorraine
        November 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Morgan is obsessed with President Obama, it’s a creepy obsession, too.

November 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Exactly. I think the tipping point for me was when he asked Brad Paisley. Now, I like Brad as a country singer, but what value to his viewers is it to know what Brad Paisley thinks of President Obama? To what use would his viewers put that information? Would that make me stop and think I should vote for PBO, because he likes him?

I don’t get it.

Don’t get me wrong – when one of Piers’ guests says they really, really like PBO, I like that answer!

But it’s like Piers is a voyeur or something … as you said, Jessica, he’s obsessed with that question. Or obsessed with President Obama, whom I hope never gives him the time of day.

• 137 COS
      November 19, 2011 at 12:55 am

I always thought Shatner was republican. Oh, I remember he played a republican on “The practice”. :)

24. 138 GGail
    November 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Chipsticks – you are a wonder!

I signed the b’day card for VP Biden with a few words of encouragement included (OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!)

I donated to your Obama Fundraiser page.

And I’m still reading and viewing all that you’ve posted….just today!!! :D

Thank you for keeping us informed and entertained :lol:

25. November 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Did anyone watch Rachel’s show tonight. I was flipping channels and heard her say that Chris Hayes is going to name names on a movement to take down OWS and apparently they are big guns.

26. 148 meabloom
    November 18, 2011 at 10:23 pm

As usual, another great day with the TOD family. Safe travel and mercy for our POTUS as he travels the globe.
    Night All.

Obama/Biden2012

27. 153 Asher in Boston
    November 18, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Every single day, I am in awe of this man, Our loving, caring President, Barack Obama. What a wonderful priceless gesture to this little beautiful girl! RIP Heavy D.

28. 154 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    November 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Had to tweet the “It gets better” video. I love the President for doing what is right and following through on his promises.

29. November 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Friday’s Good! Thanks Chips – you are wonderful!

30. 156 halo
    November 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Chips, wasn’t Gadhafi in the Taliban?! BWAHAHAHAHA

31. 157 GGail
    November 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Thanks Chipsticks for the “Hey Soul Sister” video.

You make me want to turn my pockets inside out and throw money at you each time you play that video :lol:

Pleasant dreams. :-)

32. 158 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    November 19, 2011 at 12:04 am

I haven’t seen any comments from Sue in Minnesota lately. Does anyone know why? I am getting a little worried about it as I thought she had some health issues. I hope she is OK.

• November 19, 2011 at 12:07 am

me too – VC and I tried DM-ing her but didn’t get a response. I hope she is allright.

• 160 Walking_on_ Sunshine
        November 19, 2011 at 12:17 am

I only know her through this site so can’t get in touch. I will keep her in my thoughts and pray she will feel up to posting something soon. She was always so active here. Thanks for answering my question Alice and for trying to get in touch with her.

• 161 JoJothecat
      November 19, 2011 at 1:01 am

I thought I saw Sue in Minnesota comment this morning or this afternoon.

• 162 Chi
      November 19, 2011 at 5:05 am

Thanks for mentioning Sue in Minnesota…

She’s been on my mind and I pray she’s alright…

Sue, if you’re out there please let us know you are ok…

33. November 19, 2011 at 12:05 am

Debt panel update-
    The Republicans are stuck like chuck:

34. 165 COS
    November 19, 2011 at 12:08 am

I just reviewed all of those videos and kept saying to myself, how blessed this nation is to have him as president. Chips, I laughed out loud again when I looked at te GOP debate video That is a sorry bunch of candidates. :)

November 19, 2011 at 12:16 am

For anyone who’s so inclined the GOP is having yet another debate tomorrow in De Moines Iowa at 5PM (streamed online only) livestreamed here:

Romney and Huntsman will not be participating.

• 168 24Sass
      November 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I watched the first hour and gave up. They want to repeal everything and make amendments for abortion, gay marriage and gay adoption…and not let the states have anything different. Buncha theocracy wannabe’s.

36. November 19, 2011 at 12:51 am

Chips, what a wonderful way to end an evening. Lots of beautiful smiles and love of our president. Thanks for ending friday with all of this joy. Wow. Now I will sleep well, and I hope the same for you. dr

37. November 19, 2011 at 2:11 am

Such wonderful uplifting pictures. What an amazing President we have. Chips, thanks so much for all you do.

38. November 19, 2011 at 2:35 am

In Statement To Press Barack Obama Sides With 99% in Occupy Movement

Guys please tweet because I am in tweet jail.
    i am beginning to think twitter is doing that on purpose.

• 173 theo67
      November 19, 2011 at 5:15 am

I don’t think this is legitimate. Doesn’t sound like him, and there isn’t a copy on the White House site. I think this a hoax.

• 174 LunarSea
      November 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

That was his statement from Jan 2011. But it certainly would apply to OWS or any peaceful assembly.

39. 175 xtine
    November 19, 2011 at 2:42 am

Not sure if this was mentioned on other threads, or above, but Aussie gifts on the way to Malia & Sasha:

And POTUS received a fawn-coloured Akubra Cattleman hat. So you know I had to go there & see what’s an “Akubra Cattleman hat”

Then, I just couldn’t help myself! I went one tinsy click further on that site and found …. forget the hats … go for those hat-names (disclaimer: not intended for my wicked humor, but I went there :) . Without thinking about quality, reviews, and so forth, just based soley on name, I award the “Squatter Hat” to Newt! And “Reject Adventurer Hat” is so up for GOP grabs!

40. 176 LDS
    November 19, 2011 at 4:18 am

Good morning, Chips:
    Thank you for your response. Yes, I am still up. Does being last count for anything. It’s okay. I have a lot of energy and do not need much sleep. But I do like taking “just resting my eyes naps”. I am sorry that I forgot to sign in. I just love your videos so much that I play them over and over. Thank you for all the work you have done this week. It is a pleasure and honor to come here and read all the positive and hilarious comments.
    I pray that you rest and revive yourself when our hard working President returns home to his family. He has accomplished so much. I am truly proud that he is such a caring person. It makes me feel good that he thought to reach out to Heavy D’s daughter when she needs all the love and care during this difficult time. I respect him and his wonderful family for making these sacrifices for us , simply because they care.
    Good night. Pleasant dreams.

• November 19, 2011 at 7:14 am

Hiya LDS, yikes, found you in pending again, your comments are still showing up as anonymous. Are you having trouble signing in? Let me know and I’ll try to help you out.