Nov

afternoon all, part 2

Andrew Sullivan: The one thing I noticed in my continental run-around this past week is just how mad liberals are at Obama. I remain as baffled by this anger as I am by Republican contempt for the guy. New York magazine has two superb essays that sum up my own feelings on both sides pretty perfectly – by Jon Chait and David Frum. Chait notes how systemic and eternal liberal disenchantment is, and how congenitally useless Democrats are in rallying round a leader, even one who has achieved so much in such a short time.

Many Dems even now think Clinton was more successful in fighting the GOP in his first term than Obama has been. (Memo to the left: universal healthcare was achieved under Obama). But much of this is the usual Democratic limpness and whininess. If George Bush had taken out Osama bin Laden, wiped out al Qaeda’s leadership and gathered a treasure trove of real intelligence by a daring raid, he’d be on Mount Rushmore by now. If he’d done the equivalent on the right of universal healthcare, he’d be the second coming of Reagan. But Obama and liberals? If I hear one more gripe about single payer from someone in their fifties with a ponytail, I’ll scream.

… I remain unrepentant in my support for this president, a man who has accomplished more in the face of a more hostile environment in his first three years than any president since Johnson. I wish more reasonable Dems and a few moderate Republicans will soon have the courage to say so.

Full post here

First lady Michelle Obama delivers opening remarks during a student music program in the State Dining Room

From left: Kris Kristofferson, Lyle Lovett and Darius Rucker

WooOOOooot! Congratulations BWD ;-)

Link

Robert Shrum: …. In a New York Times blog post titled “Decision 2013,” Emory University psychology professor Drew Westen offers strong opinions about the shortcomings of a president “tied up in knots of indecision” ….

…. It is a scathing indictment from someone who plainly feels his counsel and wisdom have been scorned. It is also a stunning repudiation of Daniel Patrick Moynihan’s insistence that people are entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

…. Westen launches an overall indictment of the president’s character – Obama is a president frozen in the ice of his own intellect, too logical, too rational, too disconnected from emotions …. the portrayal here of Obama is far removed from reality.

Ask Osama bin Laden if the president is indecisive. As for delay, health care reform was delayed for a century – and Obama passed it. The economy continues to be troubled, but Obama saved it from disaster … Financial reform, student loan reform, credit card reform, the greatest infrastructure investment in a generation – the list goes on. These are not the markers of indecision and delay. Nor is something else progressive critics thought Obama could never achieve. It was Bill Clinton, who famously felt our pain, who inflicted plenty of it by signing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” into law. It was Obama who repealed it with a masterful sense of timing and a cool and rational approach to the Pentagon.

That is a hallmark of his presidency. An effective president can’t be just a partisan, appealing solely to the base. But Obama has delivered more progressive change than anyone at anytime since the 1960s. He hasn’t, as Westen writes, “just run out the clock.” He’s moved history ahead….

Full article here

203 Responses to “afternoon all, part 2”

1. 1 collegekay
    November 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Miche is beautiful :D

2. November 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hiya Chips!!!!!!! Bonjour, como se va?????????? Can’t believe I ,missed the Vet Bill signing and the country music introduction. :( But thanks for keeping us update. Could not do it without you, merci :D

3. 16 Linda
    November 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm

The Stupor Committee just announced they are a failure to America.

4. 19 Mel
    November 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Andrew Sullivan , Thank you !!!! I hope verybody take some time to read his article about PBO he is
    spot on.

5. 21 57andFemale
    November 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Just a musing for the day: I would love to see OWS become “Occupy the Voting Booth”. Start truly organizing to effect actual change, form alliances whether ‘pure’ or not — that’s how Republicans became the teabaggers and were able to obstruct the best President in over half a century and are on their way to destroying America as we know it.

Hey, I’m a child of the ’60’s. I think the protests have been by and large a good thing, if not perfect. Trust me, they were far less than perfect in the ’60’s and ’70’s as well, no matter how rose-colored the glasses are.

It’s now time to learn from the best teachers we have: Republicans. Form alliances, understand that it will take a generation to accomplish our goals, but that they will never be accomplished without a firm grasp of realistic expectations and a commitment to the long term hard work of remaking American political discourse.

There’s a local mortgage guy who advertises on Chicago Progressive Talk WCPT: in one of his recent ads he said that it’s time to vote and to work to get out the vote. That although we are saddled with some conservative Democrats, there are absolutely NO progressive Republicans. The choice is so obvious, isn’t it?

• November 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Yes! OWS the Voting Booth! It Works..just ask OHIO.

I say OWS the “media” too. Now there would be getting priorities in order, imv.

• 23 theo67
      November 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I had sworn to myself that I wasn’t going to comment on OWS anymore – but I can’t keep that promise… Your message about OWS becoming Occupy Voting Booth is spot on. These kids think they’re reinventing Democracy, but the reality is that millions before them died for the right to vote and participate in their government. Millions more around the world are dying for that right this very day. That’s why I feel so passionate about this wasted opportunity from these OWS folks. For me, as soon as I started hearing more than once the anti-Obama sentiment, or anti-voting sentiment, it was like a slap in the face for all those who believe in the hard work and dedication that President Obama has exhibited, as well as the hard work and dedication that many women, minorities and former slaves fought for, in order for everyone in this country to have the right to vote. When so much is at stake in the future of these kids and the very country itself, to waste even a second on self-indulgence seems horribly insulting.

OFA has been quietly working to support this President since before he announced his candidacy for President. They’ve been getting out the vote, pressuring Congress, educating people – all. this. time.

For these kids to now be launching a war against police, who do need to be held accountable for their actions, but who are also equally part of the 99% – that doesn’t make sense. And in an election year, it’s as bad as these kids working to elect Republicans, in my view. the President started a campaign for his jobs bill, he was commanding the bully pulpit, and the attention of the people. And then OWS comes on the scene, and instead of “changing the topic of conversation to jobs” like they’ve claimed, they’ve drowned the President’s message and replaced it with talk of police brutality. Instead of the media focusing on the President’s Asia tour, they had an easy excuse to talk about UC Davis and Bloomberg. Believe me, the media doesn’t need an excuse to get distracted.

I have no problem with people expressing their frustrations and protesting. But – tell me what this protest stands for and what the end game is. If I ask anyone what people in Tahrir are protesting about and their end goal, even the slightest research can show you a tangible problem and a tangible end goal. And yet, OWS is now comparing themselves with those actually dying on the streets of Egypt.

The OWS movement still has a chance to get organized and get a clear message, in time to encourage people to vote in 2012. They’ve let down people who could have used their voices to pressure Congress to pass the AJA. Now, the end of year typical struggle over unemployment benefits and budget extensions will overtake AJA. And then we’re into the election year. And those people who could have been helped in September, or October, or November by the energy in this movement will once again be used as pawns. I was called a troll two days ago on twitter for challenging someone who was advocating making an “impact” on the economy through striking – I asked him how negatively impacting the economy would help one person get a single job. I’m sorry, but there shouldn’t be anyone in OWS congratulating themselves for “changing the topic of conversation” or gaining media attention – because the cost has been way too high and totally wasted.

Sorry for the long message.

• 24 Justjean
      November 21, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Occupy the vote has been suggested as a great slogan for the campaign.

• November 22, 2011 at 12:58 am

I stand with you. #Occupy the Voting Booth 2012. Let’s do it.

6. 26 debbyeOh
    November 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I love the diversity this white house employs. See, I could never have a country music celebration. Miss Michelle looks so pretty in her red! That was some interesting reading. I mean, I hate to say it, but I think all these folks are freaking out because they didn’t know a black man would be so successful. Being black, I’ve seen this on occasion, I might be doing okay, but I i was really successful, it must be a trick or something. But you know, I still believe there are enough rational people of all stripes to rally around our President so he can complete the work he started. #PRESSON!

7. November 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Great new article by Robert Shrum, I added a few extracts to the post, you can read it all here:

• November 21, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Thanks Chips. I love when these asinine articles are countered and called out for what they are. I like Bob Schrum.

• 29 HZ
        November 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Thanks Chips. The article is a very interesting read. I also like Bob Schrum. This is a must read as well. Thanks for keeping us expose to these articles to be well informed and share in the discussion in ways that will help us share thoughts through our conversations with families and friends as topics come up during our phone conversations, e mails, and dinner dates in our home.

Thanks so much Chipsticks.HZ

• November 22, 2011 at 2:43 am

I can just picture the disingenuous thing Drew would say to Shrum, upon reading this response… “Wait, you can’t be trusted! Who you are speaks louder than what you do. And who you are is a man who has lost too many elections to be a credible defender of Obama.”

Right, Drew; how many elections have YOU won?

• 31 FiredUpInCA
      November 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Chipsticks thanks for the Shrum article.

At xpostfactoid.blogspot.com there is another well-done take down of this pop quack Drew Westen. In this article (Aug. 7, 2011), the writer takes on Westen’s preposterous claim that President Obama lacks the essential trait of great politicking: namely, the ability to tell a good story that persuades the public to embrace your proposals.

A lover of fairy tales casts Obama as villain-in-chief

The truth is, as the author says in another good piece on their site:

“Obama is vastly better than Clinton — and every other politician in America — at articulating a strategic and conceptual framework for a set of policy specifics (often a laundry list as long as Hillary’s). That’s why he won the election.”

• November 22, 2011 at 2:11 am

I have a special dislike for people like Drew Westen who use psychology to tear others down. I have had a few people in my life who proclaimed themselves to have a special intuitiveness about human beings, or an exceptional ability to relate to others. Almost without fail, they have been the most patronizing, condescending, mean-with-a-smile people I have ever met.
        One of my favorite bloggers, the atheist Greta Christina, once talked about religion’s power to armor some people from the real-world consequences of their belief, especially the effects on others. I think that a belief in oneself as psychologically astute may have even bigger armoring effects than religion does. Because you can easily dismiss other people’s reactions to your worldview, or even their points of view themselves; because they’re not as emotionally intelligent or tuned-in to the true essence of life as you are. It is hubris of the highest order; and also, a gross misunderstanding of empathy. I think a lot of people believe, mistakenly, that empathy means certainty about others’ feelings and motivations; and I blame pop-psych abusers like Drew Westen.

• November 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm

It’s an excellent deconstruction of Weston’s fantasy hit piece on PObama. I left him a comment thanking him..there was only one other one there and it was from our Trumpdog. :P

Mucho Mahalo Chips~

• 35 TrumpDog
      November 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Guys can you please take a few minutes and write a positive comment to Schrum’s article? Let’s try to drown out the negativity under his column. And maybe that will make Schrum continue to write more of these types of article debunking the Obama Derangement bullshit.

8. 36 halo
    November 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm

HATERS GON HTAE

9. November 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Back home after a week long Germany/UK business/family trip. It was great to see my sis again. Knackered out after a 12 hour flight. Gotta check out Chips and Deaniac before hitting the sack. As usual, they hit it beyond my expectations.

• November 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Welcome home amk! Hope everything went great, thrilled to have you back ;-)

• November 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Thanks Chips. Couldn’t have gone any better. The biggest deal in my company’s lifetime. My lovely sis doing great even as she undergoes chemo. Even her nurse and doctor are amazed by her blood counts. 6 more weeks to go for her to complete the session. Keeping y fingers crossed.

Great to be back,

• November 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

That’s great news about your sister, amk, the improving blood counts are hugely encouraging. Wishing her all the very best. And thrilled for your company too, that’s amazing news.

• November 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thanks chips. I will take my sis’s health over my business any day. All of us were terrified of the chemo on her health and by god’s grace and her own strong mental strength, she is doing fine. Can’t wait for Christmas when here sessions are finally over.

November 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm

You have much to be thankful for amk :) So glad that you’re back and your sister and your work is going well…all the best to you.

10. 43 holymoly
    November 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Michelle looks really nice and I love the colour of her dress. Wonder who is the designer.

I still like this clip

11. November 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm

hope everyone’s having a good day :D

12. November 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm

hope everyone’s having a good day :D

13. November 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Heads up from Dan Pfeiffer on twitter:

President Obama will make a statement in the White House briefing room on the supercommittee at 5:45 PM

14. November 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Sorry I couldn’t help it…I had to look…Matthews is at it again…he is right and everyone else is wrong….the President should do it his way….blah blah blah…that was all in 30 seconds…I couldn’t watch anymore!

15. 61 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    November 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    America – the ‘super committee’ failed for Only One Reason – GOP protected the wealthy from paying their fair share & thereby harmed US.

#PRESSON

• 62 Mel
      November 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm

This was about the sign pladge to Grover Norquist , Yes The GOP signed and deliver their pladge to
      Norquist who is a Lobbyiest.

• 63 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        November 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
        America – your #KOCHMAFIAGOP violates their Oath of Office every day they serve the 1%, having pledged allegiance to Norquist, not the USA.

#PRESSON

16. 64 collegekay
    November 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I’m not surprised they failed to make a deal. I don’t think anyone is…

We need a new Congress… BOTTOM LINE.

• 65 donna dem 4 obama
      November 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I just feel that we have to stop saying “Congress” because the onus on this failure falls squarely on the “Republicans in Congress” who pledged their allegiance to Norquist. There is a big difference between Dems and Repubs and these events such as this tend to lump us all into one. Yes we have a few runaways in our party but most on our side of the aisle are reasonable pragmatic legislators who know how to get things done. We proved that in the first two years of the Obama Administration.

17. November 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I see that congress critters on both sides of the aisle are useless as usual. Pathetic cretins.

• 67 donna dem 4 obama
      November 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I have to disagree with that amk. We put everything on the table (to the dismay of many of us progressive/liberals) and the Republicans would not budge. They had to have the Bush Tax cuts be permanent or no deal. You can’t work with people who have already pledged their allegiance to a person rather than the constituents they serve. This is not a “both sides are bad” scenario IMO.

18. 68 nospin
    November 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Did you all see this video on Occupy Wall street?

Interesting find at POU

Occupy Wall Street Divided

19. 69 dotster3
    November 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

President Obama must be having too many successes lately. All of a sudden there’s a huge influx of negative, doomsday articles. Some doofus with ulterior motives writes something negative, and it spreads like wildfire throughout the beltway club, regarded as the gospel truth without any evidence of same. I’m really mad that I’m seeing that insane suggestive piece written by “pollsters” Pat Caddell and Doug Schoen everywhere, like on the front page of the Chgo Trib website, that Obama should step aside so Hillary can step in. As if this had merit, as if this makes any sense at all. What utter stupidity. Lots of evil, devious, moneyed forces seem to be engaged. I know we can beat them back. My one worry is the integrity of our votes.

• November 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Randi said that Limpballs was advocating for HIllary to run in 2012 and PBO should abdicate the Dem nomination. The only reason that ass was saying that is because they know Hillary is way too easy to beat in comparison to PBO. Caddell and Schoen can go fuck themselves, or better yet, each other. They both look like something even a naked mole rat wouldn’t lower themselves to screw.

November 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

If the right wing nuts are so sure Obama is beatable, then why push for Hillary to run. According to the polls they are showing Hillary would kick the GOP’s candidates butts. As if Hillary would listen to that bastard Limbaugh.

• November 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Polls can show and tell all they want, but when it comes down to it, Hillary couldn’t beat any repug. The only person who could do that is PBO. I admire her work as SOS, but I’m tired of her being used as the mythical hero of the emoprogs. Her dumbass husband doesn’t help either. I just want to not have to deal with the both of them at this point. I’m over it.

• November 21, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I think they’re doing it just to get the Dems fighting each other and their other tried and true method of just plain ol SHITE FLINGING.

• November 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Here’s another story that’s been conveniently ignored by the US press.

Gaddafi’s intelligence chief captured, says Libyan minister: Revolutionary fighters catch Abdullah Senussi in southern desert region near where Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam was found
      Sunday 20 November 2011 12.16 EST

The Libyan information minister says revolutionary fighters have captured Muammar Gaddafi’s intelligence chief, Abdullah Senussi. Mahmoud Shammam told Associated Press that fighters in the southern Fazan region of Libya captured Senoussi, who is wanted by the international criminal court (ICC) in The Hague.

Senussi’s capture comes a day after Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam, also wanted by the ICC, was caught trying to flee Libya to Niger.General Ahmed al-Hamdouni, a senior commander of the fighters, told Reuters that his men, acting on information from local people, found Senussi at his sister’s house near the desert town of Birak, 300 miles south of Tripoli.

Saif al-Islam was found in the in the same region on Saturday.

20. 78 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    November 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

GOD BLESS OUR ALWAYS PERSEVERING AND ACCOMPLISHED PRESIDENT!!!!! INDEED THAT GREAT LADY IN RED IS AWESOME! YOU’LL HAVE TO EAT YOUR WHEATIES TO KEEP UP WITH HER MR. PRESIDENT!

21. November 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I just read Chait’s article. Absolutely stunning. So much I did not know. Face book and emailing also. Wow. Just Wow. It is so funny because it is followed by whiny emprogs in the comments sections. Poor emoprogs.

22. November 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Where does the NYT pick up these stupid people who use their pseudo status to vent their personal hatred? If this Drew Weston wants to analyze someone with problems, the Republicans have a whole roster of looneys for him to go after. He knows nothing at all about the president and can’t even begin to fathom his brilliance. Sure there are a lot of such people in the world, but the really sad part is that the NYT doesn’t hesitate to give them a forum. Instead of being the paper of record, the NYT has become the showcase for nutsos. Another once great media institution down the drain.

• November 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm

That’s one point I made in the comment I left on Bob Shrum’s piece.. The corporatemedia and the profiteering left collude and collide..

23. 82 Bill
    November 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Chips has mentioned the latest edition of New York Magazine. I would emphasize that it has three articles that have all that is needed to describe the current political environment. Frank Rich compares the hatred in the country in the JFK era with today. David Frum explains the disaster the GOP has become. And Jonathan Chait describes how liberals, today’s PL, are never satisfied dating back to FDR. The articles should be required reading.

24. 84 bonkers
    November 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm

A. Sullivan says most hostile environment since Johnson? LBJ had somewhere around 70 Dems in the Senate most (or all?) his Presidency. FDR had Dem majorities near that amount.

President has had a much more hostile environment than LBJ and probably FDR too, which make President Obama’s accomplishments that much more amazing.

25. November 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm

(This is a re-post from the previous thread.) It’s called KARMA, bay-bee! Whatever… you… send… out… into the universe… usually finds its way back to you.~

The 89 employees of a New York law firm specializing in foreclosures who dressed as homeless people during an office Halloween party last year have been thrown out on the street. Steven J. Baum P.C., a firm that specialized in foreclosures, is closing its doors a month after photos showing employees celebrating Halloween by dressing like the homeless surfaced in a New York Times column by Joe Nocera.

Nocera wrote a follow up column this weekend, in which he quoted an angry email he received from Mr. Baum himself. The firm announced the shuttering via press release and was reported by the NYT: “Disrupting the livelihoods of so many dedicated and hardworking people is extremely painful, but the loss of so much business left us no choice but to file these notices,” said Mr. Baum in a press release issued on Monday. A firm spokesman said it would have no further comment beyond the release…

On Saturday, Joe Nocera, The Times columnist who originally wrote about wrote about the firm’s Halloween party, published another column about the controversy. In it, he quoted an e-mail that Mr. Baum had sent him last week. “Mr. Nocera — You have destroyed everything and everyone related to Steven J. Baum PC,” said the letter. “It took 40 years to build this firm and three weeks to tear down.”

“I think that’s what they call shooting the messenger,” Mr. Nocera said.

~snip~

• November 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm

That is some Bad A$$ KARMA, right there, creolechild. Thank you!

• 89 theo67
      November 21, 2011 at 5:58 pm

The insensitivity of this law firm makes me sick. This is karma in action – I can’t believe people could dress as homeless people as a joke, when millions have lost their homes and some have even killed themselves out of despair. What makes people become this ugly? You don’t ever want to wish ill upon anyone, but I don’t think they would have learned any other way than to walk a mile in the shoes they ridiculed so callously.

Grover Norquist and his cohorts should take note.

November 21, 2011 at 6:13 pm

That karma is really something, isn’t it? They felt ZERO shame badmouthing and making fun of those that had lost their homes and were forced into the streets…..now, the shoe may be on the other foot. Wonder how they like it now? Wonder if they’re laughing and drinking and celebrating someone else’s misfortune? Sad when people lose their jobs and livelihoods… maybe they will learn to be more empathetic. Yeah, that karma kind of evens the playing field some times…

26. November 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm

@ProudMember: Please…..Just turn it off! It is not worth the stress. I have not looke at the so-called news media since finding this site. I am truly embarassed after the coverage that our President received over seas and I will do everything that I can to educate whomerver I meet to this blog. JUST TURN IT OFF!!!!! Please you will sleep better at night.
    Hello, Chips. I have to go out , but I thank you ahead for all of your postings. I really loved the last video….”Go Brave”. My first time seeing that one. That is a keeper……PEACE

• November 21, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Jessica Big Headed Yellen’s ugly mug is blocking my view of that beautiful presidential podium. I would have liked to spend these last few minutes before PBO comes out to admire and lust after that beaut of a podium that graces the briefing room everyday. It and I don’t get enough quality time.

November 21, 2011 at 6:01 pm

So funny, lisa!

I noticed her big headed mug was up there again after the President (in my mind only) slapped the podium, told the jackals he wouldn’t take their questions, and stormed off.

So, I quickly evacuated myself from the confines of the CNN livestream space.

27. November 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm

America, Take A Bow! Megabanks Could Lose $185 Billion Due to Bank Transfer Day

Is there anything quite as exhilarating as knowing that, despite their posturing to the contrary, Big Banks took a real hit, thanks to a broad-based populist movement? Maybe we can move onto the cable behemoths next: “A Month Without Cable,” where everyone cancels their cable for a month and uses Netflix instead — I can dream, can’t I?

During “Bank Transfer Day” earlier this month, 40,000 Americans moved their money from the nation’s biggest banks to credit unions, voicing their distaste with the action’s of America’s financial behemoths. About 650,000 Americans joined credit unions in October, which is more people than in all of 2010 combined. According to cg42, a consulting firm that does work for the biggest banks, “the nation’s 10 biggest banks could stand to lose as much as $185 billion in deposits in the next year due to customer defections.” Of the banks, “Bank of America is the most vulnerable and could lose up to 10% of its customers and $42 billion in consumer deposits in the next year.”

Plus, you know, a lot less money to buy politicians!

~snip~

• 98 PoliticalJunkessa
      November 21, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Good news. I’m convinced that the boycott/strike/withdrawal is the only language these corporate-run entities understand.

November 21, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Good! They should continue to push the “Move Your Money” constantly…until the community banks and credit unions are chock full of money and customers…and the big ones feel the pain!

28. November 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

GM hiring 685 to make chevy equinox!

29. November 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Idiots will continue to come out of the woodwork the closer we get to Nov 2012. Everybody and their momma with a platform will have something incredibly insightful (in their eyes only) to say about the President. This won’t be anything knew for President Obama, it will just be intensified. Since he walked into the oval office, every word and action he’s said and done has been analyzed by people who are NOT smart enough to wipe the dirt off his shoes – or in other famous words carry his jockstrap.

30. 102 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

The Only Adult in the Room will have to step up again after the brats in Congress couldn’t get their shit together. Press on, Mr. President.

31. 103 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    November 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Hi Chipsticks,
    You may want to check this article “How Obama and the Democrats outsmarted Republicans on the debt ceiling deal” if you haven’t already.

#PRESSON

32. 106 nospin
    November 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm

10-Year-Girl (Jasmine McClain) Hangs Herself to Escape Bullies

– – – – – -*Ten-year-old Jasmine McClain was found hanging in her bedroom after having endured vicious bullying at school.

Jasmine was found by her mother Samantha West at their home in Chadbourn, North Carolina this past Monday morning (Nov. 14, 2011).

“She was such a loving child. I just lost it because she took her last breath in my arms,” West said. “”It’s a shame that kids are that cruel,” West told TV station WRAL-TV.

– -Chadbourn Police Chief Steven Shaw ruled Jasmine’s death a suicide but his investigation led him to Facebook where comments had been posted that Jasmine had been targeted.

Shaw said the case broke when ‘children started coming forward and making accusations that she was bullied–and bullied bad–in school.

It is believed that Jasmine was tormented at Chadbourn Elementary School, where she was picked on about her clothes and shoes.

Rest in peace baby girl.

• 107 Fred
      November 21, 2011 at 6:13 pm

oh my good God.This is so sad.Stay strong McClain and West families :( :( :(

• November 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Oh, so sad. This has got to stop! Prayers for the families.

• November 22, 2011 at 2:39 am

I do have to wonder: is meaner kids another consequence of economic inequality? Because kids emulate their parents, and because one-upping your neighbor is increasing a matter of financial survival now; so more, emotionally, is at stake. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a strong correlation.

November 22, 2011 at 6:29 am

I saw that story on the local news about the young girl killing herself cause she was bullied. And I was heartbroken. How can kids be so cruel?

33. 111 nospin
    November 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm

lololol My message to the folks who are trying to undo the automatic cuts is simply this. “NO”

lolololol Go President Obama

• 112 Mel
      November 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm

NO body, but No body is going to Fuck with PBO,and now if somedy send the vidio of Grover Norquist
      so they know who the Republicans signed the pladge.Norquist is a fucking lobbyiest. The only pladge you
      sign when they are elected to office is THE PLADGE to The Constitution of the USA NOT to a Lobbiest.

34. November 21, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Could it be any clearer who has the best interests at heart for the people in this country, and who doesn’t?

During her recent interview with the Des Moines Register editorial board, Michele Bachmann’s statements about torture and waterboarding were not the only outrageous statements the GOP presidential candidate made. She also decided to double down on her recent debate performance, where she said we should “Be more like China, and end “Great Society” programs. During this interview, Bachmann came straight out and advocated eliminating the earned income tax credit, food stamps and public housing.

~snip~

h/t Heather

November 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Sully, Bob Shrum, Chait, Rahm, John Kerry = they all speak truth. I believe because more are SPECIFICALLY speaking out in support of the fact that President Obama IS ACCOMPLISHING SO MUCH ALL BY HIMSELF, that others will come kicking and screaming into the program.

Irksome, but just the way things are.

We have his back, and more and more other “headliners” are coming forth, with in-depth writing on the subject. We need to keep challenging those who are in the spotlight to spread the word.

And, of course, we’ll spread it ourselves.

Congrats, BWD!

36. November 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Grover Norquest is a tool!

37. November 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I LOVE PRESIDENT OBAMA.

FIERCE.

38. November 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I dig Andrew Sullivan, but what Libs/Progressives is he talking to that are so angry with PBO? Chips has recently just posted polls and articles that our BASE is rock solid and PBO is still supported by 75% of Dems. Just asking.

• November 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

The Upper Left as Ben of Politico calls them. Sullivan like other bloggers hang around conservative and liberal elites like themselves. The only time they come across the average American is in their blog e-mails and comments.

When I say “elites” I don’t mean snobbish but top college grads with multiple degrees, they go to cocktail parties, earn good money, etc. All these folks hang around each other no matter where they go.

39. 124 Don
    November 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Down goes the republicans!

Down goes the republicans!

Down goes the republicans!

40. 125 symmetry11
    November 21, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Be sure to tune into Rev Al’s show tonight. He has an exclusive interview w/PBO.

41. 129 Don
    November 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Hyman Roth himself would be proud of the trap that President Obama set for the Republicans.

42. 130 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    November 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hi Chipsticks,
    Senate Democrats just released an beautiful attack on Norquist:

He has obviously incited treason by having elected officials take a pledge that violates their Oath of Office.

#PRESSON

43. 137 dotster3
    November 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hey—-passing along this helpful info: Cell phone numbers go public this month. All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies, and you will start to receive calls. You will be charged for these calls. To prevent this, call this number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It is the national Do Not Call list, and it blocks your number for 5 years. You must call from the cell phone # you want to have blocked.

November 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Julian Epstein (on my DVR’d version of the Martin Bashir Show – which is great) just said Romney is “always the bridesmaid, never the bride.”

Yep.

45. 147 relellit
    November 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Loved the way PBO said “NO” during his press conference on the Supercommitte. As Richard Wolf said it was nimble jujitsu.

Yes, Indeed the President said he would “veto” their foolishness. What will the PL say now. PBO is not throwing the America people under the bus.

It must be difficult for the PL to eat crow.

46. 148 ChristiMtl
    November 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm

47. 153 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    November 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I am so glad Rev Al had an exclusive with PBO. Go Rev you deserve it.

48. 160 nospin
    November 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Rev Al is on it tonight. He is calling out the “Newtster”

49. November 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I’m going to love watching the republicans pound one another over the next several months over these cuts.

In one corner you will have McCain, Kyle, and Grahm, and in the other corner you will have the teabaggers and libertarians….folks start popping the popcorn.

• November 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Sounds like the GOP will have to come up with cuts elsewhere or new revenues to undo DOD cuts. Anybody who wants to undo DOD cuts without offsetting it will be admitting the deficit/debt they grandstand on is nothing but political theater and then will have to explain why they took the debt ceiling hostage in the first place. Also interesting is that they’re going to have to fight for full DOD funding at the same time the payroll tax holiday and longterm UEI runs out in February right in the height of the GOP primary. And then come the general the Bush Tax Cuts become the issue so the eventual GOP nominee will have to argue that the cuts should be extended after arguing that we don’t have money for payroll tax holiday or UEI extension…

• 163 donna dem 4 obama
        November 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

See SR I told you last week that PBO saw this coming. He was wayyyyy ahead of the Republicans on this one.

50. 164 Don
    November 21, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I’m so giddy over the way President Obama handles his business.

51. 167 halo
    November 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm

“Summarizing Prez Obama’s comments on the Super Committee fail: “I just put 98% of my foot in Speaker Boehner’s ass.””

HA!

November 21, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Mine said an error occurred…try again later :) I just caught the tail end of the speech…would love to see it….

52. 170 Don
    November 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I think I’m going to have a t-shirt made with the slogan “98%….the new F”

53. 172 Hhannahh
    November 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm

does anyone know if the white house will be streaming the entire “in performance at the white house” event tonight?

54. November 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Will Emoprogs agree that our dear President is a mensch? Plays eleventy dimensional chess or as @Milltshook said, he simply plays brilliant checkers? Has a wicked poker hand? Ditto to every point and more

Naaaaahhhhh The day Emoprogs admit this is the day they self-combust.

Meanwhile I bow to Deaniac’s wisdom at http://www.thepeoplesview.net he called this outcome way back when the debt Ceiling nonsense was taking place and everyone was tearing their hair out. PBO know politics. he knows policy too. And he knows how to win in the most unlikeliest ways. I love it. I love him :lol: :lol:

• 181 JoJothecat
      November 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I know, Thom Hartman made me sick about with “the republicans won and the democrats lost – the gop was playing eleven dimensional chest and the dems and obama were playing checkers”. The lady that is a D.C. reportor said he was WRONG! I loved it, he was so hoping to bash the Dems and PBO.

55. November 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm

President Obama has now positioned himself to be the only one fighting to balance the budget. He’s painted everybody else into a corner with Supreme Commando Norquist’s help. They got pwnd. 2012 is looking better and better.

• November 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm

To balance the budget “fairly”. The 2012 election isn’t going to be about the past four years of economic hardship the GOP will try to hang around the neck of the President, but a choice of who the people want making the big budget decision in 2013. The GOP will only cut, and cut from the middle class and poor – they will NOT raise taxes on the top 1% one penny. So while Dems are willing to make targeted cuts to SS, Medicare and Medicaid, the GOP by being unwilling to raise revenues will have to run on decimating SS/Medicaid/Medicare as that is the only place where the big cuts can be made – everything else is to the bone and GOP will not cut DOD budget.

56. November 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Heads up all…Bill Clinton is on the Daily Show tonight…I think I will turn in early. I will watch Lawrence though.

Sorry I turned into CM to see the President speak…CNN feed does not work well for me….HE actually saluted the President…yes with his hand and everything.

57. November 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm

So today POTUS was on Rev Al’s show I believe. He will be on the Michael Baisden Show tomorrow and if Tom Joyner wasn’t off for the holiday, he’d probably be on there to this week.

He’s hitting all the “urban” stations! Keeping his base informed.

58. November 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Okay, this is gonna sound not so nice, but it’s something I’ve noticed. Chris Hayes is on Rev Al’s show. He looks just like the Maddcow. They could almost be twins, how weird is that?

59. 191 Dakota
    November 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Did anyone else read about “Mankini’s (GAG!!) latest brillant idea? Our child labor laws are a joke. He’d fire all school custodians and pay students to clean the schools. Does he really what kids dealing with chemicals and climbing up on roofs and the like? Shit for brains!

60. November 21, 2011 at 6:58 pm

The President sounds so reasonable, and when compared to anyone in DC, it’s like night and day!
    Me thinks he has the upper hand.

61. 195 Ladyhawke
    November 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm

NO TAXES PLEDGE SIGNERS ARE NOT FIT TO GOVERN – THEY ARE SHEEP

Signing Away The Right To Govern

=================================

It used to be that a sworn oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution was the only promise required to become president. But that no longer seems to be enough for a growing number of Republican interest groups, who are demanding that presidential candidates sign pledges shackling them to the corners of conservative ideology. Many candidates are going along, and each pledge they sign undermines the basic principle of democratic government built on compromise and negotiation.
    More was needed to keep them in line, which gave birth to the signed pledge — no more enforceable than a spoken promise, but a politician’s actual signature was seen as more binding. The oldest and most pernicious of these modern oaths was dreamed up by Grover Norquist, the leader of Americans for Tax Reform, who has managed to get 95 percent of all Republicans in Congress to pledge never to raise taxes for any reason. If they end tax deductions, Mr. Norquist’s pledge-takers say they will match the increase in revenue with further tax cuts.

That pledge is the single biggest reason the federal government is now on the edge of default. Its signers will not allow revenues in a deal to raise the debt ceiling.

=================================

62. November 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm

@WHLive
    Obama: If we don’t act, taxes will go up for every American starting next year. I’m not about to let that happen.

63. November 21, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Holymoly,

Thank you for that tribute to Michelle by Singing Francine, a Trinidadian calypsonian. I love it. It is the first time I heard that calypso. Are you Trinidadian Holymoly.

64. 198 CEB
    November 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm

The Zen Master strikes again; I love it! You would think that by now they would know that he sets them up. But, the repubs. can see only their own reflection.

PBO and Miche are so cute together! I always smile and grin like a fool (not sure why) when I see them flirt and tease.

65. 199 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    November 21, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Here is PBS live link for “In Performance at the White House”; however, it appears the event has not yet started

66. 200 nospin
    November 21, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Rev Al with President Obama – There is no reason why we can’t succeed

Rev Al on the “Newster”

Regardless of my cynicism about OWS it is offensive to me the way Republicans refer to American citizens. Their commentary is sickening. These people should be kicked out of office. They are a disgrace to democracy.

67. November 21, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Hi socasweet! Blessings from Montserrat. Singing Francine represents all of us in the Caribbean who love the Obama family, in that awesome tribute…go brave.

I think we in the Caribbean can do our part to ensure PBO’s re-election. We have many friends and family in the US who are bombarded with a media that borders on the ridiculous. If we share this website with them and ask them to share it with as many people as possible in th US, they will have a medium that provides them with the truth, and the truth will always prevail. I have been doing just that. Remember, this is our President too.

Hello to all the TOD family. The Country and Western programme at the White House tonight was simply wonderful and First Lady was looking radiant.