Nov

rise and shine

by hgerhard

I never expected an easy ride for this President. No doubt, he is a different kind of leader. His problem is not that he is controversial, but that he is so insistent upon values that define what is best about our traditions and our history.

How often have we heard him exclaim “that’s who we are” as Americans when speaking of the mutualism of citizenship. He will cite “E pluribus unum” to celebrate equal rights and equal opportunity as well as responsibility for one another. He will insist that we are indeed “our brother’s and our sister’s keeper”. That’s not just a phrase for him, that’s a core belief.

With that in mind, of course he will be the President of all the people all the time. He will treat all citizens with the same unfailing civility and regard, including those who do not respond in kind.

He will take pains to understand the points of view he does not share, not because he is lacking conviction, but because he will always attempt to find some common ground as a base for discussion and negotiation.

The outcome of such negotiations must always meet the test of “who we are”. Or, in the case of the arrogant dismissal of such things as the Geneva convention, he will say “that’s NOT who we are” and insist upon making our actions match our values.

There are those who dismiss this as “elitism” or as somehow ill-conceived and unrealistic, but it is this same clear evidence of character that people value most about this greatest of all Presidents. And that will prevail over all self-centered political grandstanding and furor, over envy, racism and contempt because all of those manifestations fail the test of “who we are”.

Greg Sargent (Washington Post): Here’s why the supercommittee is failing, in one sentence: Democrats wanted the rich to pay more in taxes towards deficit reduction, and Republicans wanted the rich to pay less in taxes towards deficit reduction.

Full article here

Paul Begala: What’s next? The Santorum Surge? The Huntsman Hiccup? Why Newt Gingrich would be a godsend to the Democrats.

…. More likely the Gingrich surge is just the latest Republican tulip craze …. with Newt simply serving as the latest vessel for the ABR movement: Anybody But Romney.

….. like MacArthur, Newt has returned. I, for one, could not be happier – but then again, I’m a Democrat, so I have to take my political pleasures where I can find them….

…. I fear the dream won’t last, alas. At some point Republicans will wise up and nominate the zillionaire layoff artist with the square jaw and the Slinky spine. But I’ve been saying that all year, and I’ve been wrong all year.

I really can’t imagine how it must pain Mitt Romney …. What does the guy have to do to win? He’s changed so many of his deeply held convictions that he’s reduced to bragging that he hasn’t changed wives or religions. Newt has changed wives and religions, and the base still likes him better than Romney….

Full post here

Congratulations Tally!

David Beckham raises the trophy after LA Galaxy beat Houston Dynamo in the MLS Cup final at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, November 20

84 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 debbyeOh
    November 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

Good morning, Ms Chips! That’s okay, goodness, hard as you work for this community, I’ll give you a pass! :). Oh yeah, my b’day is in December, how do I sign up to get a cake delivered by that sexy commander-in-chief that hangs around here?

• November 21, 2011 at 9:16 am

Morning debbyeOh! Give me a day’s warning and I’ll have that cake delivered! ;-)

• 3 debbyeOh
        November 21, 2011 at 9:51 am

Alrighty then! I usually kinda let it pass, since it is so close to Christmas~~ and somehow that Baby in that Manager gets all the attention!;).~~
        In case I forget my instructions, let me tell you now, it’s December 19. Thank you ma’am!!

November 21, 2011 at 9:02 am

“Democrats wanted the rich to pay more in taxes towards deficit reduction, and Republicans wanted the rich to pay less in taxes towards deficit reduction. Any news outlet that doesn’t convey this basic fact to readers and viewers with total clarity is obscuring, rather than illuminating, what actually happened here.”

That’s right – and WE need to call them out when they try to push that crap.

• 5 utaustinliberal
      November 21, 2011 at 10:13 am

Exactly. Greg Sargent summed it up in a concise manner. That’s what it boils down to and no matter how any news outlet tries to spin it; that’s the nuts and bolts of it.

3. 6 proudmemberofglobalzero
    November 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

Just a little observation:

Chuckie Todd had to sleep in….can’t keep up with the Presidents schedule
    President Obama: Daily schedule PLUS hosting a night of the Arts honoring Country Music tonight at the White House.

November 21, 2011 at 9:11 am

Yes I noticed that the WH Press corps are WIPED OUT from this trip. No wonder they resent this man – they simply cannot match up to his incredible stamina, be it physical, mental, or emotional.

4. November 21, 2011 at 9:10 am

Is Hootie considered a legit country singer these days?

November 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

I thought hootie was in soft rock category. Where are the old country singers like kenny Rogers, Parton, Glen Campbell, Willie nelson, jackson, pride, etc?

5. 10 Fred
    November 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

morning TOD family

6. November 21, 2011 at 9:18 am

November 21, 2011 8:35 AM

The right blames Obama for GOP’s debt failure

By Steve Benen

As the super-committee implodes, the rush is on to assign blame. At this point, many Republicans and media figures want to point the finger at President Obama.

Indeed, the right seems quite invested in this line of attack, as if a memo went out to Republicans and allied pundits, encouraging them to all say the same thing at the same time. Judd Gregg and Robert Samuelson make the same lazy argument in print, and both pretend to have no knowledge of the massive debt-reduction plans Obama offered the GOP, which the conservative party rejected.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) even sketched out a crude conspiracy theory, telling ABC yesterday that the White House deliberately ensured the super-committee’s failure so the president could run against a “do-nothing Congress.”

Then there was Mitt Romney.

With the so-called supercommittee at an impasse ahead of Wednesday’s deadline, Mr. Romney blamed the president for the apparent failure of the bipartisan panel…. “He hasn’t had any role,” Mr. Romney told roughly 200 supporters outside the city hall building in Nashua…. “He’s done nothing.”

Let’s count the ways in which this fails to make any sense whatsoever.

• 16 prettyfoot58
      November 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

Greetings everyone….

The President submitted his plan at the beginning of the SuperCommitee’s process….last i look this is a Congressional Committee…formed by the Congress….

and as expected…the Repubs…will continue to be the party of the wealthy….trying to keep up with the notion that of putting party before country….

the main stream media…will try to blame the Dems and the President for the failure of the SuperCommittee…..instead of laying the blame where it truly belongs ……at the feet of the Repubs…

so indeed…it is up to us…to spread the truth…..

Pressssssssssssssssssssss ON!

November 21, 2011 at 10:18 am

It was early this morning, I came across repeat of Meet the Press and Senator J. Kerry was up there, and if anyone want the truth about what happen listen to Senator J. Kerry. Of course I never had any doubt as to why things wouldn’t get done. It’s all about that pledge to the rich the Republicans made and their hopes of getting the Senate and White House back. As Rev. Al says sink the ship just to get the captain.

7. November 21, 2011 at 9:20 am

unday, November 20, 2011
    Fire Walker Chronicles, Part 4
    Posted by Zandar
    A big weekend rally in Madison, Wisconsin was a huge success as over 25,000 gathered in the state capital to protest Gov. Scott Walker and to urge his recall.

Thousands of people gathered at the Wisconsin capitol on Saturday to demand a recall of Republican Governor Scott Walker, whose controversial and successful drive to limit public unions last winter sparked the biggest protests in the state since the Vietnam War.

Former U.S. Senator Russ Feingold, a Democrat, signed a recall petition during a morning meeting with about 300 recall volunteers and pledged to help the effort through his political action committee.
    With the crowd chanting “Run, Russ, Run,” Feingold repeated that he would not run against Walker in any recall election.

“There will be a new governor in a few months. It won’t be me, but it will be somebody good,” Feingold said. “It’s not about me. It’s not about any particular candidate. It’s about restoring civility and some kind of sense of unity to the state.”

The Wisconsin Department of Administration estimated that between 25,000 and 30,000 people gathered at an afternoon rally at the Capitol building to boost the state-wide petition drive for a Walker recall election that began on November 15.

United Wisconsin, part of the coalition leading the recall effort, said more than 105,000 signatures had been gathered through the first four days of the effort. Organizers need 540,208 valid signatures by January 15 to trigger a recall vote.

So 20% there in 4 days? Yeah, things are looking good for the recall effort, I’d say. Walker and his administration are in trouble, even if Russ Feingold isn’t going to replace Walker. Still, the effort appears to be going rather well, I’d say.

8. 19 donna dem 4 obama
    November 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

I know there is this theory that “we must watch cable” to keep an eye/ear on what they say in order to push back on the ridiculous comments but nothing and I mean nothing will hurt MSNBC like lost ratings.

Can we for just one week #turnthemoff and constantly tweet why we are doing it to every single show that disparages this President. There are enough people out there on the internet that watch this mess that will tweet or blog us to inform us if we need to respond to something else outrageous they say. The clips of all their shows (I watch them frequently) can be seen here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3096434/. Just scroll down and on the left side under “video” you can pick your show to re-watch and they appear within minutes after the show airs. So you see there is really no need to sit and watch this stuff in real-time “to remain informed”. I hate to chastise but it’s an addiction. I know because after the 2008 election I lived and breathed this stuff and only until I saw how they pumped up and boosted the tea party and those town halls (for ratings) did I find the strength to #turnthemoff and I stay (for the most part) just as informed as the next person. If nothing else please consider a boycott this week of Chris Matthews Hardball show. There is no need to reward Chris Matthews’s behavior with our viewership.

Changing my topic for a moment…
    Regarding the super committee, after reading the trigger information last week I had hoped it would fail. The last thing we needed was cuts to Medicare or Medicaid. President Obama was actually willing to do a grand bargain had the Republicans been willing to eliminate the Bush Tax Cuts for the wealthy. I believe he calculated that they wouldn’t go for it and he was proven correct

Now the media will probably go into overdrive trying to lay this failure by Congress at the Presidents feet. Rahm and John Kerry were fantastic yesterday in the clips I saw explaining why this is not so. I wish every Dem strategist would be forced to sit down and watch these clips of Rahm and JK before they go before any cameras and pushback on that meme with a force. John Kerry said something very profound on MTP yesterday. He said that the Republicans feel that they will win the Senate and the Presidency in 2012 so they will write their own bill in 2013 and feel no need to “give PBO any political wins”. Rahm said so succinctly that the President had a plan to reduce the deficit and the Republicans have an ideology. The Republican leadership has stated that their number goal is to make PBO a one-term President and that this makes it very hard to bring bi-partisanship when that’s the operating goal of the other side. IMO that should be shouted from the highest mountaintop.

For those who watch cable tv if you have the names of the democratic strategist who frequent these shows could you list them and maybe we can get their twitter addresses and tweet them Rahms pushback (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rahm-emanuel-focuses-fire-romney/story?id=14992384) on how to debate their support for PBO.

Have a great day everyone.

• 20 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
      November 21, 2011 at 9:31 am

GoodMorning TOD Family, I am with you Donna I stopped watching cable news only tune in to Rev Al. I am physically ill from the Chris Mathews rant, though I didn’t watch it, I have read about it and he will keep hearing from me all day today on Twitter. Have a great day Everyone.

November 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

I also only watch Rev. Al and Martin Bashir now on MSNBC. In fact, I have yet to actually “hear” what Chris Matthews said about the First Couple – but that didn’t stop me from tweeting about what I heard from others on the weekend! So, if anyone has the intestinal fortitude to watch, we’ll find out – as Donna said – and bash back the so-called pundits! Will also concentrate on putting out the good things we know about the President’s agenda (this week and every week) and our sweet First Lady’s actions.

#turnthemoff

• 22 a4alice
      November 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

Donna thanks for that. I think too that maybe VC (?) or Jackie (?) was thinking about having a day on Thanksgiving where we only tweet good stuff – like gratitude or reminders – hey PBO did this or that. But man, I’ll go all week. Sounds wonderful!!!

K. For me, nothing but good stuff ALL WEEK. But you know, with PBO at the helm that’s not hard at all!! :-)

Everyone have a fab day

gotta sneak back to work now………..

• 23 PoliticalJunkessa
      November 21, 2011 at 9:58 am

I’ve been saying this forever, but I think people are addicted to the drama :-).

November 21, 2011 at 11:09 am

I just tweeted this, Donna (and will hit a bunch of ‘em up throughout the day):

If it’s Monday, I’m not watching @hardball_chris – will watch replays of speeches of Mayor Emanuel and Senator Kerry instead! Will you?

• November 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Six months from now the Supercommittee will be forgotten. The Republicans have to spend their political season trying to stop the triggers, but frankly no one will really pay attention. Non-issue at this point.
      Regarding Chris Matthews: Why has he not been relegated to the same status as Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity? People don’t come here and rail about their racism and bigotry and lies. Why do they come here and rail about Matthews when he does and says the same thing? Is it because he’s on MSNBC? Is it the drama addiction? I say if folks want to watch that mean-spirited white guy, that’s your prerogative, but for heaven’s sake don’t come vomit his bigoted lies here. #TurnThemOff

Another point about Matthews…he seems upset that the President doesn’t listen to him. Seriously? You diss the guy’s wife and you expect him to listen to you? Newsflash: Bush didn’t listen to Chris Matthews either. But I suspect that Clinton did, and that’s why CM is so upset. He expected the Democratic President to listen because the last one did. I’d wager this is why a lot of pundits are upset and want Hillary to be in the White House: so they can have a say in how the country is run.

• 26 MsKitty
      November 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Co-sign a thousand times if I could. I haven’t watched TV news in years because it’s not like I’m missing anything. I have been able to keep up just fine thru the Internet. So frustrating to read posts of people clearly upset with what they just watched or heard from these windbags. What it comes down to is letting these know-nothings manipulate your emotions and pull your chain while their bosses laugh all the way to the bank with advertising revenue they charge for your eyeballs. Doesn’t seem like an even exchange to me but to each his own, I guess.

• November 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm

(Ms Kitty x 2)

And not only am I not missing anything, I find myself better informed on the issues that interest me than I ever was and my spirit is calmer. For starters, I don’t see as much unfounded hatred and mean-spirited commentary that surely agitated my spirit, and my blood pressure regularly thanks me.

• 28 nathkatun7
      November 22, 2011 at 12:14 am

Donna, I am with you 100%! I think some members of our community (Chipsticks, Utaustinliberal, rikyrah, etc.) can keep monitoring for us what’s going on cable news. Other than that, we all should announce a massive boycott of both Network and cable news programs that repeatedly and consistently bash President Obama. We can site the PEW research to support our boycott because the media has been lopsided (irrationally I must add) in presenting a negative image of President Obama while completely neglecting or misrepresenting his positive accomplishments.

9. November 21, 2011 at 9:25 am

November 20, 2011
    Anti-intellectual methadone
    It seems it has come to this.

The bottoming out — please, we’re begging, somebody please assure us that this is indeed the bottom, the deepest and icyist circle of Hell, that farthest from the warm, celestial orb of secular enlightenment — of the Republican base’s monstrous anti-intellectualism is compelling a fresh look at the writhing, rotted, utterly corrupt “intellect” of Newt Gingrich.

That, gentle readers, is just how alienated from the maddening crowd the GOP’s literate demimonde has become. Alienated, and desperate. Desperately alienated. And despairing. In fact so despairing of “the Palinization of the GOP” is the Post’s Kathleen Parker, she writes approvingly that

there are signs that the GOP is recognizing its [anti-intellectual] weaknesses and is ready to play smarter. To wit: The sudden surge of Gingrich, who, whatever his flaws and despite the weight of his considerable baggage, is no intellectual slouch. Whether he can pull off a victory in Iowa remains to be seen, but a populist professor — a bombastic smarty-pants Republicans can call their own — may be just the ticket.

• 30 57andFemale
      November 21, 2011 at 10:29 am

And yet, the rabid Republicans began with Gingrich at the helm. The applause for “the 99% want everything given to them. Let them get a job after taking a bath”. It wasn’t all that long ago before such language would only be the purview of the farthest fringe, not even worthy of a mention anywhere except at skinhead meetings. Now, this is the voice of the Republican party.

Disgusting.

10. 31 carolyn
    November 21, 2011 at 9:27 am

Good morning Chips…..my birthday is Wednesday, and I’m so thankful to be having another one! I was born on Thanksgiving Day, and every 11 years or so, it swings around again. I have to say that every day I live I have been thankful for the opportunity to be alive and live in these exciting times, and to experience all I have experienced, good and bad. Life is a blessing.

11. 41 meabloom
    November 21, 2011 at 9:28 am

Morning All!

POTUS is better than the energizer bunny. He just keeps going and going and going and going. He is truly something amazing. I’m sure he and FLOTUS both will attend the Country Music Performance.

Obama/Biden2012

12. November 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

A Failure the Left Can Embrace
    by BooMan
    Mon Nov 21st, 2011 at 12:23:08 AM EST

I was skeptical about the Occupy protests when they began and I remain skeptical about where they are heading, but I sure am glad that there are people on the streets demanding that the most affluent people in this country pay their fair share when I see shit like this happening in Washington DC.

As time wound down to a Monday night deadline for an agreement [of the Supercommitee], Capitol Hill lacked the frenzied negotiation typical of a Congressional race to beat the clock. Instead, many members — well aware that Congressional approval ratings are near historic lows in polls — seemed resigned to the fact that Democrats and Republicans remained far apart on major budget issues, especially tax increases on the affluent, which Democrats insist must be part of any deficit solution and which Republicans oppose.

What we are not seeing is any people on the streets demanding that the Democrats make concessions on entitlement spending or the discretionary budget. In this case, no deal is a good deal for the 99%. It’s not a great deal, as there will be negative consequences from yet another demonstration that our government is paralyzed. The stock market will probably react negatively, and that will trickle down. The credit rating agencies may exact some retribution, further damaging the country’s reputation and probably costing us more jobs. And the president will not come out of this smelling like roses, even if people correctly assign most of the blame where it properly belongs…on the Republicans.

• 43 Sankofa
      November 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Why won’t the president “smell like a rose”? He did his part, he offered boner/gop a 9:1 grand bargain, they refused, it’s THEIR job to legislate and send back bills for the president to sign. I always see that subtle meme of “PBO didn’t do, won’t come out unscathed, should have done, even with failing poll numbers he may be able to or not smelling like a rose”. It’s insidious and constant and I’m calling bull on it. President Obama did NOT fail as if often reported, the media/pundits/talking heads FAIL to report actual FACTS to let them speak for themselves. ENOUGH!

13. November 21, 2011 at 9:32 am

Obama Nov. 21 week ahead
    By Lynn Sweet on November 21, 2011 7:06 AM | No Comments
    Schedule for the Week of November 21, 2011
    On Monday, the President and First Lady will invite music legends and contemporary major artists to the White House for a celebration of country music as part of their “In Performance at the White House” series.
    On Tuesday, the President will travel to Manchester, New Hampshire where he will discuss the American Jobs Act.
    On Wednesday, the President will pardon the National Thanksgiving Turkey in a ceremony in the Rose Garden. The President will celebrate the 64th anniversary of the National Thanksgiving Turkey presentation, reflect upon the time-honored traditions of Thanksgiving, and wish American families a warm, safe, and healthy holiday.
    On Thursday, the President will celebrate Thanksgiving at the White House. There are no public events scheduled.
    On Friday, the President has no public events scheduled.

14. November 21, 2011 at 9:33 am

Democrats Consolidating Hispanic Vote Early
    Benjy Sarlin November 21, 2011, 6:20 AM

President Obama’s relationship with Hispanic advocacy groups and lawmakers hasn’t always been perfect. But with the election a year off, he’s starting to put up some strong polling numbers among Latino voters.

Obama’s approval ratings among Hispanic voters — and the broader electorate — have been relatively weak at times this year, but as the Republican primary campaign hits the home stretch he’s showing no signs of trouble in matchups with any of his potential opponents. An extensive survey of Latino voters by Univision this week showed Obama racking up similarly high margins against Mitt Romney (67-24), Rick Perry (68-21), and Herman Cain (65-22). The 2-1 ratio is roughly in line with Obama’s margin against John McCain in 2008.

Republicans have made immigration an issue in the campaign as Romney’s attacked Perry over granting in-state tuition to illegal immigrants and Cain has sometimes seriously, sometimes jokingly proposed frying border crossers on an electric fence. Everyone is on record bashing the DREAM Act, a bill Republicans have blocked in the Senate that enjoys 84% support from Latino voters, according to Univision. Regardless of who wins the nomination, clips of these statements will follow the party into the general election, and the Obama campaign is clearly pleased to see the GOP tacking right.

“We may just run clips of the Republican debates verbatim,” Obama told reporters last week. “We won’t even comment on them, we’ll just run those in a loop on Univision and Telemundo, and people can make up their own minds.”

15. November 21, 2011 at 9:43 am

16. 50 halo
    November 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

Huffington told Grigoriadis she was so disappointed in Obama that she might vote Republican in 2012.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

• 51 utaustinliberal
      November 21, 2011 at 10:15 am

That’s one vote Democrats don’t care for and are happy to lose.

November 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

MIGHT vote Republican in 2012? Well excuse me Ms. Whoreington but when did you ever vote anything BUT Republican? Pray tell.

• 54 Mel
        November 21, 2011 at 11:16 am

She has been a F@#$%ING Republican all her life who does she think is kidding? She was merried to
        one remember?,She run for GOV in California, but we did not buy what she was selling lies.lies and a
        bunch of lies. She should be in Grece helping her country to fix their F@#inf mess.!!!!! she makes me
        puke.

• 55 ChristiMtl
      November 21, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hahahahaha good one….She’s been saying how disappointed she is in the President from DAY ONE…

I will never forget when she said that the President needed therapy……..

Right…
      The only one who need therapy is her…..evil b******

Such a fraud, a liar.

Republican for life…she’s not fooling anyone.

• November 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Yeah, right, like she didn’t vote for McCain. Who here believes for a minute that she voted for Barack Obama?

• November 21, 2011 at 3:18 pm

She really is as craven and stupid as she looks. She probably voted for mccain and palin..not fooling anybody.

• 60 nathkatun7
      November 22, 2011 at 1:38 am

I bet you she voted Republican in 2008! Like all the other former Republicans who figured out a way of making money by claiming to be “Progressive” Arianna Huffington has never officially said that she is a Democrat. Besides, we know she loves Newt Gingrich. The fact that Gingrich’s poll numbers within the Republican party have improved might explain why Arianna is talking about “voting Republican in 2012.” She is itching to join the Gingrich bandwagon. Just as she did in supporting his 1994 Contract on Americans. I confess that I also fell prey to amnesia when I uncritically thought that the Huffington Post was a voice of progressives.

She fooled me once when I thought that she had truly changed from being a right winger to being a progressive. After what her blog has done, for the past three years, to undermine President Obama, there is absolutely no way she can fool me again! I hope all honest and loyal Democrats will now realize that Arianna Huffington is a fraud. It’s time for us to say goodbye to her sensational HuffPost. As far as I am concerned she has always voted Republican. So, her pronouncement “that she might vote Republican in 2012″ is not a surprise. What I deeply resent is the media that parades her around as a representative of President Obama’s base who are “disappointed” in him. All of us who support the President must say it as loudly and clearly as we can: ARIANNA HUFFINGTON DOES NOT REPRESENT PRESIDENT OBAMA’S base!

17. November 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

CHENGDU, China (Reuters) – China confirmed to visiting U.S. officials that Beijing plans to pour $1.7 trillion into the so-called “strategic sectors” over the coming five years, U.S. Commerce Secretary John Bryson told reporters on Monday.

The confirmation of the huge sum of money showed Beijing’s ambition to shift the growth engine of the world’s No.2 economy to cleaner and hi-tech sectors while also boosting domestic growth as the global economy struggles.

18. 62 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 21, 2011 at 9:56 am

♥ ♥ ♥ Good Morning Chips! Good Morning TOD Family! ♥ ♥ ♥

Barack Obama Quote O’ The Day

So if all of you still believe, if all of you still have hope — you may not have the old posters from 2008 — but if you share that vision and determination to see it through, if you are willing to do just what you did in 2008 and maybe even a little more — knocking on doors and making phone calls, and getting people involved and getting people engaged — I guarantee you we will not just win an election, but more importantly, we will continue this country on a journey that makes sure that our children and our grandchildren have a better future.

Have a great day, everyone! :-P

19. November 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

++##############++++++++++###########++
    +###############++++++++++###########++
    +############### ++++ +++++###########++
    +###############++++++#++############++
    +################+++++#++############++

20. November 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

Lisa Jackson gave the oil companies the muddle finger–

MAYBE SHE WAS ORDERING THEM A WILD TURKEY? — Friday’s meeting between the EPA and the oil industry on renewable fuel credit fines didn’t go well at all. Representatives from the American Petroleum Institute and National Petrochemical & Refiners Association asked agency officials for help over millions of dollars in civil penalties that several major oil companies face for purchasing and using fake biodiesel renewable identification numbers.

But the industry officials say the EPA was less than sympathetic. “In essence I would say the agency gave the industry the middle finger,” one industry official told POLITICO. Darren Goode has the details on the avian salute — including EPA’s take — for Pros: http://politico.pro/tMevFU.

21. November 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

Chips,

Have you seen this article? “When Did Liberals Become So Unreasonable?’ http://nymag.com/news/politics/liberals-jonathan-chait-2011-11/?mid=nymag_press by Jonathan Chait.

Its long. I haven’t read it but my twitter friends were loving it last night. David Frum also wrote an article for NY Mag on how the GOP has lost touch with reality. http://nymag.com/news/politics/conservatives-david-frum-2011-11/?mid=nymag_press

22. November 21, 2011 at 10:30 am

DECATUR, Ga. – Deputy Transit Administrator Therese McMillan today joined officials from the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) for the grand opening of a locally manufactured solar-powered bus garage canopy near Atlanta, highlighting progress toward environmental sustainability and energy independence at one of the largest urban transit agencies in the nation. The Laredo Garage solar canopy, which was funded by a $10.8 million federal grant, is the largest structure of its kind in Georgia and the second largest within a U.S. transit system.
    “The Obama Administration is committed to building sustainable, energy-efficient facilities like this one that create jobs, provide affordable transportation options, and showcase American innovation ,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. “This project is a great example of what American scientists, engineers, and construction workers can achieve when we invest in the transportation projects we need to keep our economy moving forward.”
    The 190,000 square-foot garage uses more than 4,800 photovoltaic panels installed on the roof canopy and is expected to save nearly $160,000 in utility expenses annually, cutting the garage’s electric bill nearly in half. Further savings will be achieved as buses parked in 220 stalls beneath the shaded canopy will need less fuel for air conditioning. The project’s environmental benefits are equivalent to planting more than 285 acres of trees annually.

23. 74 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 21, 2011 at 10:42 am

Kudos to hgerhard for those thoughts!

So true: PBO calls us up to be “who we are.” Similar to Lincoln’s appeal to our “better angels.” We have the capacity to be and do immeasurable better, to attain our highest selves. Calling on this capacity in people is risky because lots of people like to wallow in mediocrity, apathy, fear, or hate. However, a brilliant leader calls on the best in people anyway, and presents a compelling vision of what is possible if we strive for the good and the best — who we really are.

24. November 21, 2011 at 10:47 am

Clashes between protesters and police have broken out in in Tahrir Square and looks set to intensify. Demonstrators were attacked by the army overnight – with some 20 people killed, according to reports. Field hospital doctors say they treated scores of people with injuries from excessive use of teargas and rubber bullets. Protest has spread all over Egypt during the build-up to elections, with many candidates announcing they would be suspending their electoral campaigns.

~snip~

• November 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm

The Egyptian Army appears to have played the opposition for suckers this Spring. They took up with the demonstrators, got their leader to step down, then took over the government, and are now turning on those same demonstrators. Sad.

25. November 21, 2011 at 10:53 am

Gaddafi’s intelligence chief captured in southern desert
    Sunday 20 November 2011 15.11 EST

Libya’s interim authorities have captured the last totem of the Gaddafi regime, seizing former intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi in the southern desert near to where Saif al-Islam Gaddafi was apprehended two days earlier.

Militia units surrounded a house where Senussi was holed up, near the town of Birak. The arrest means that all leading figures from the Gaddafi regime have now either been killed, captured or driven into exile. Senussi was the henchman of the Gaddafi regime, “the executioner”, according to Luis Moreno Ocampo, prosecutor at the international criminal court.

~snip~

26. November 21, 2011 at 11:03 am

One Small Step for Climate Scientists

In a small victory for global-warming advocates, the case against climate scientist Michael Mann has hit some rough ground. Mann, a climate scientist who has been fighting a battle against the American Traditions Institute (ATI) since January, received his first piece of good news in the case on November 1 when a Virginia judge ruled that Mann did, in fact, have standing to join the case over the release of his e-mails from his time at the University of Virginia (UVA). The judge also decided to reopen the consent decree between UVA and ATI concerning exempted e-mails.

Facing a Freedom of Information Act request, UVA maintained that there was material in Mann’s e-mails that should be safe from release under an academic-material exemption. Mann and UVA were concerned that the initial consent order allowed the contested material to be reviewed by ATI’S lawyers, Chris Horner and David Schnare—an arrangement that struck many as inappropriate. As I wrote about in October, Mann’s struggle is part of a disturbing trend of conservative organizations attacking the communications of climate scientists. The importance of the protections on academic and research material is paramount, an opinion expressed by, among others, the Union of Concerned Scientists and the American Association of University Professors.

~snip~

h/t Laura Bolt

November 21, 2011 at 11:19 am

Bob Shrum takes down Drew Westen:

// Emory University psychology professor Drew Westen aspires to advise Democrats on political strategy. But his book The Political Brain reminds me of a scene in Theodore H. White’s Making of the President: 1960, in which row after row of cigar smoking Boston pols is arrayed behind John F. Kennedy as he delivers the final speech of his presidential campaign, written on their faces a barely concealed envy which says Kennedy has a trick; and if they themselves had the trick, they too could be president. Westen’s trick is common sense dressed up as pop psychology: The idea that leaders have to be passionate as well as rational. //

• November 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thanks hopefruit! Here’s the comment I left.. Trumpdog left one too.

Thank you, Bob Shrum! Drew Westen writes his big ol disingenuous fantasy indictment of PObama and the NYT gladly runs it. When corporatemedia and the profiteering left collude and collide.

Steve Benen exposed Drew Weston a couple of weeks ago and there were a few suckers in the comment section defending Weston’s sneering innuendos. So, I really thank you for getting more deconstructing of Weston’s blatant lies out there.

PBObama will go down in history as an awesome President for his time and those fiction writers will be on the trash heap of those who might have been..if they only had a clue.”

• 82 nathkatun7
        November 22, 2011 at 2:41 am

Thank you Cha for your spot on-comment about this snake oil psychologist, Drew Westen who knows absolutely nothing about politics. Thanks also to the magnificent hopefruit for sharing Bob Shrum’s brilliant “take down” of Drew Westen. It’s really a shame that the NYT is once again giving this man, who obviously hates President Obama, a platform to spread his venom against the President while pretending to be an objective scholar. Drew Westen, like Cornel West, makes the supposedly distinguished professors look bad. Hiding behind the title of professors, these cowardly and unprincipled people, have no shame in peddling half truths and out right lies to justify their attacks on President Obama. I would not want to see any of my children studying under them.

28. November 21, 2011 at 11:22 am

GOP freshmen see fundraising dwindle

Two-thirds of the Republican freshmen who captured Democratic-held seats in the GOP’s 2010 takeover of the U.S. House of Representatives saw their fundraising dip in the past quarter, campaign-finance reports show.

Several of the new incumbents, including Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar, in a rematch with former congresswoman Ann Kirkpatrick, have been significantly outraised by their challengers. In addition, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee took in nearly twice as much campaign cash as House Republicans in September — a sign Democratic donors are energized, despite low poll rankings for Congress and President Obama.

Democrats need 25 seats to retake control of the House after losing more than 60 to Republicans last year in a wave of voter anger with Washington.

“A deep sense of buyer’s remorse has set in across the country toward Republicans,” said Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., who oversees House campaign efforts for Democrats. “I can’t guarantee that we’ll take the House back in 2012, but it will be razor close.”

Forty-three of 65 Republicans elected to formerly Democratic seats raised less in the July-to-September period for their House campaigns than the previous quarter, a USA TODAY tally shows.

Political money
    The campaign committee charged with electing Democrats to the U.S. House of Representatives has outraised House Republicans this year. (In millions)

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has seen its fundraising surge, collecting $6.6 million in September, nearly double its August haul. The National Republican Congressional Committee raised $3.8 million in September, a 27% increase from its total the previous month.

29. November 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Monday, November 21, 2011

I’LL PUT GLASS IN YOUR DINNER AND SPIKES ON YOUR SEAT

Look, I’m not going to rise to the bait by responding seriously to the new Wall Street Journal op-ed by Fox-News-Democrat pollsters Pat Caddell and Doug Schoen, in which they assert that President Obama should step aside and let Hillary Clinton run in his place. They don’t mean a word they say; she’s not going to run, they know it, and they’re fully aware of the fact that they and their friends would eviscerate her if she did. The point of the op-ed isn’t to express an opinion — it’s to trip Obama and the Democrats up. It’s carefully timed to rule the morning political chatter so it can do that. It’s not a contribution to the national dialogue; it’s a leg extended in the aisle as the bullied kid gets up to walk to the front of the classroom.

There are kids in every school who take pleasure in occasionally harassing the less favored, but even those kids don’t necessarily make harassment their life’s work. Modern Republicans (and their nominally non-Republican fellow-travelers) are full-time bullies — it’s all they do. The modern Republican Party is a 24/7 opposition research/dirty tricks/character assassination operation that then takes advantage of its success at these endeavors to elect candidates — who then pretend they’re interested in governing, while they continue the OR, the tricks, and the character smears.

I’m not even sure these days that Republicans are interested in governing on their own terms — that is, I’m not sure they really believe, in a heartfelt way, that their budget cuts and tax cuts and climate skepticism and gay bashing and pro-gun absolutism and the rest are the best course on which to sheer the ship of state. They just know it frustrates us, and that’s all that matters. They pass this stuff or fail to pass it — I’m not sure they care, except that getting it passed makes us more miserable. And I know that pleasing their rich donors is vitally important to them, but they’ve gravitated toward financial backers — the Kochs, the people Karl Rove’s operation gathers together — who also just want to crush the enemy, and who apparently can longer tell anymore where their self-interest ends and bullying begins.