Nov

rise and shine

Today:

9:35 AM The President departs the White House en route to Joint Base Andrews

9:50 Departs Joint Base Andrews en route to Manchester, N.H.

11:0 Arrives in Manchester, N.H.

12:15 Delivers remarks on the American Jobs Act

1:20 Departs Manchester, N.H.

2:55 Arrives at the White House

ThinkProgress: The Romney campaign’s very first television ad dishonestly presents a 2008 McCain campaign quote as the words of President Obama. The ad features a voice-over of Obama saying “if we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.” Then-candidate Obama indeed said those words, perhaps dozens of times during the closing month of the 2008 campaign. The only problem? Obama was actually quoting the words of a strategist from Sen. John McCain’s campaign. Another eyebrow-raising moment in the ad comes when it attacks “record foreclosures,” despite the fact that Romney’s stated housing policy is “don’t try and stop the foreclosure process.”

Read Steve Benen on the ad here

Morning everyone ;-)

146 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 8:39 am

Real ID Act blocks some Americans from driver’s licenses

Strict federal rules aimed at keeping terrorists off planes are blocking some Americans from renewing their driver’s licenses or getting other state-issued IDs.

The problems stem from the Real ID Act, passed by Congress in 2006 in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, when terrorists used easily obtained driver’s licenses to carry out their plans.

The law says that by 2013, only IDs from states that require applicants to present proof of citizenship or legal residency will be accepted to board an airplane or enter a federal building. In most states that have begun to comply, that proof means a birth certificate or immigration papers.

When corrections officer Charles Lust, 46, of West Palm Beach, Fla., tried to renew his driver’s license in February 2010, he was shocked to discover his birth certificate said his name was Bell. A court, establishing paternity when he was 14, changed his name from Lust, his mother’s name, to Bell, his father’s name.

After his driver’s license expired, he couldn’t open a bank account, cash a check or change jobs. He had to make special arrangements to pick up his kids from school because the school requires ID.

Sixteen states have passed laws opposing compliance with Real ID, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. The Department of Homeland Security, acknowledging that the law’s documentation requirements are burdensome and cause privacy concerns, has several times delayed the deadline for states to comply.

The National Governors Association calls the Real ID Act “unworkable” in its current form. The National Conference of State Legislatures has lobbied for its repeal.

2. November 22, 2011 at 8:43 am

Loved the idea. One of those times when I wished I were an American.

3. 5 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 8:45 am

Found a link to Project Vote Smart – a non-partisan group that provides relevant, unbiased information on over 40,000 candidates and officials.
    Main link http://www.votesmart.org/

As an example – they covered the Republican candidates stances on Health Care with factual links to each debate so that voters can be better informed. http://www.votesmart.org/blog/2011/nov/14/health-care-what-are-candidates-saying/

This site reminds me of the work that is being done by WiW.

• November 22, 2011 at 8:49 am

That’s a terrific site nospin – I was relieved to see my position on all the issues matches the President’s, and none of the GOP clowns!

• 7 Obama Grandmama
      November 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I clicked on the second link and read through the comments for each candidate. Then I clicked on President Barack Obama and the comment there was something like PBO refused to give his take on healthcare for their request for 2012 campaign. That is misleading because his healthcare platform has already been enacted and they could go find what it covers without a special request. I am not sure I like the way that paints the President’s stand.

4. 9 ChristiMtl
    November 22, 2011 at 8:46 am

Good morning neighbors,

LO was amazing yesterday, well the opening segment that is.

Too bad he had to have Robert Reich to ruin it for me……..and the fraud Michael Moore.

5. 10 Linda
    November 22, 2011 at 8:47 am

Good Morning ..

I just want to set the record straight. Last night I logged off after I posted a comment about James Taylor and how much my son looks like him.

I posted a picture of a young Taylor as an example. Checking back this morning I see by the comments I was not clear. I apologize.
    :-(

November 22, 2011 at 8:54 am

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, Chips, I’m crying in my coffee. I take back everything I said about that sweet woman sitting next to the President when we only saw the picture….If you’re reading, dear woman, you were JUST as you should have been :) And a very lucky lady, to boot!
    I may try and get ahold of the man from Chandler, AZ…right down the road….What an amazing experience for all of them, and one that I hope that can be repeated for others to have. Any one of us would do (Especially Chips!) Just sayin’….Thank you for this, Chips…I’m keeping this!

• November 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

Morning desertflower! Really loved that conversation too, so natural, easy and open. Gorgeous!

November 22, 2011 at 9:36 am

Morning to you, love:) Thanks again. I will start my day with this in my heart….great way to begin.

• 19 utaustinliberal
        November 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

Thanks so much for the video Chips. When PBO began talking about how his fahter’s absence shaped his life and his approach to fatherhood, I got super choked up. I’m going to have to text (ok, ok, I’ll call) my parents and thank them for being there everyday. :)

7. 20 Sukey
    November 22, 2011 at 8:54 am

Good morning
    I saw my first hate ad on CBS Made note to not watch that channel. Mitt’s new ad wrongly quotes Obama…disgusting.
    I love the faux Politico page.As always Im cheered by coming here.Thanks for all the good news.

8. 21 Fred
    November 22, 2011 at 8:56 am

good morning TOD family.May God watch over;guide;bless POTUS and FLOTUS and watch over our country as well

9. November 22, 2011 at 8:57 am

Beyond belief –

November 22, 2011 at 9:06 am

By the way, I sent that link to Attack Watch….when I posted this on the previous thread, Jovie suggested that I send it to the DNC….I tried, but they don’t have a way to directly do that….I’m not a FB, Twitter person :) Can someone here take the reins on that? They should know, if they don’t already! Thanks.

• 27 ChristiMtl
      November 22, 2011 at 9:07 am

Romney’s campaign spokesman, Eric Fehrnstrom, offered this laughable explanation for the distortion:

We used that quote intentionally to show that President Obama is doing exactly what he criticized McCain of doing four years ago. Obama doesn’t want to talk about the economy because of his failed record.

What a joke. The out-of-context quote does not show that Obama criticized the McCain campaign in this fashion four years ago. It obscures this fact to make it look as if Obama was talking about his own campaign. We’re now at the point where the Romney campaign is dissembling about its own ad’s distortion.

• November 22, 2011 at 9:15 am

They were caught, and this is lame excuse!

• 29 a night owl
        November 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

Even the explanation is a lie, since President Obama is obviously not afraid to talk about the economy. He’s talking about it every single day–jobs, tax cuts for small business, jobs, extensions of payroll tax cuts and unemployment insurance, jobs, investing in infrastructure, jobs, expanding trade in the Asia-Pacific, jobs, dealing with long-term debt, jobs… It’s almost like half the population is physically incapable of hearing what the President says. He says “Jobs, jobs, jobs!” and they say, “He’s afraid to talk about jobs.” SMH.

• 30 utaustinliberal
          November 22, 2011 at 11:21 am

Exactly. PBO is going to New Hampshire today to talk about the economy and to urge Congress once again to extend the payroll tax cut so that workers can have an extra $1000 in their pockets this holiday season. Romney has no core. The fact that he would blatantly distort PBO’s words and offer a lame explanation is just another way in which he’s definitely not a leader.

• November 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

Attack watch should be notified!

• 35 dotster3
      November 22, 2011 at 9:16 am

One would think that the Romney campaign would have to pull that ad as its dishonesty is being revealed all over the place. One would think. But then I see that his campaign knowingly, purposely intended to deceive the public. How ’bout an Obama counter- ad revealing the truth with a voiceover saying “Romney lied to you”?

• 36 Lovepolitics2008
        November 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Yep, good idea. An ad with the video of President Obama with the COMPLETE thing proving he was only quoting the McCain campaign. In general, voters don’t appreciate cheating and hypocrisy.

Not only would that ad be effective in pushing back against Romney’s dishonesty, but it woukd make people doubt EVERY future ad of the Romney campaign.

• 37 Obama Grandmama
        November 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I’d add in why would a governor’s administration feel they needed to buy all of their computer hard drives when leaving office?

• November 22, 2011 at 9:17 am

The always wonderful Steve Benen also has a post up about lying Romney’s ad this morning.

Howdy TOD family.

• 39 Ladyhawke
        November 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

Mitt Romney must be referred to as the ‘LYING FLIP FLOPPER”

I just love Steve. He cracks me up when he makes it a point to refer to Newt Gingrigh as the “former disgraced Speaker of the House” . Now it looks like we are going to have to refer to Mitt Romney as the “Lying Flip Flopper”. I really hope that begins to stick because it reveals a serious character flaw for someone wanting to be the leader of the free world. The Romney team knew what they were doing. They were intentionally misleading just like they were with the lazy comment.

• November 22, 2011 at 10:02 am

“Lying Flip Flopper” works for me Ladyhawke!

• 41 geegee
          November 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Romney is not only a lying flip flopper, he’s also stupid-imo. To come out this early in the game attacking PBO with these lying ads is just plain short-sighted, when the ads can so easily be disproven and make him out to be the liar that he is. Mitt, desparation is thou name. I wonder who is advising this fool?

• November 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

Romney has the O’Keefe/Breitbart folks working on his campaign. Taking things completely out of context is their modi operandi…

10. 43 Linda
    November 22, 2011 at 8:58 am

Here is President Obama responding to the new Romney ad.

November 22, 2011 at 9:02 am

Chips, you left out one very important fact about the ThinkProgress piece about Romney that attributes a quote that McCain made to PBO….The fact that this was done INTENTIONALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. 47 rikyrah
    November 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

let me get this straight.

this f—ing criminal, who shoudl be IN JAIL, for running over a woman AND LEAVING THE SCENE OF THE CRIME.,

THIS CRIMINAL, WHO, the NYTIMES nailed for having so many conflicts of BUSINESS INTEREST while being the head of that committee, that they could barely keep up…

has the NERVE to say that NOBEL PRIZE WINNER STEVEN CHU is in over his head?

G-T-F-O-H

…………………….

Darrell Issa: Steven Chu is ‘in over his head’
    The State Column | Staff | Monday, November 21, 2011

California Rep. Darell Issa added to the growing scrutiny over U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu’s 2009 loan guarantee to the now bankrupt solar panel manufacturer Solyndra. In an interview Saturday with The Daily Caller, Issa expressed concern over Chu and the Energy Department.

“Secretary Chu is a brilliant individual who seems to be [in] over his head,” Issa, the House oversight committee chairman, said. “And that’s not a political statement. … I think everyone wants to see DOE succeed,” Issa added.

During his testimony before Congress Thursday, Chu was accused of approving the loan to Solyndra for political reasons, a claim that the former Nobel prize winning physicist thoroughly refuted. “Fundamentally, this company and several others got caught in a very bad tsunami if you will,” Chu said of his choice to approve Solyndra for the loan. “If you look back and look at the time, the decisions being made, was there incompetence, was there any influence of a political nature? And I would have to say no,” the Secretary of Energy added.

Regardless of Chu’s claims, Issa’s Committee on Oversight and Government Reform plans to investigate the Department of Energy. The California Republican has repeatedly said the Department of Energy has “committed malpractice.”

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/darell-issa-sec-chu-is-in-over-his-head/#ixzz1eRVk4Bx9

November 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

Projection at its finest!

• November 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

Steven Chu is the best of the best. He’s the reason the BP oil spill disaster got solved. He’s the reason we have such an important shift in our national energy policy. He is an eminent scientist and Issa is a 3rd rate criminal. I don’t want to sound like an elitist but I worked at UCBerkeley and the faculty are of the highest caliber faculty. In the parking lots there are spaces designated, “Nobel Laureate” and I’m not kidding!

13. 51 a4alice
    November 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

Saw the Politico Headlines from last night this morning – almost inhaled my coffee from laughter – bah! You’re the best Chips!!

Have a great day TOD! :-)

l8r

14. 52 halo
    November 22, 2011 at 9:05 am

Romney lies? No way!

15. 53 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 9:07 am

Another good resource for WiW and for voters is Ballot Access News, a non-partisan newsletter reporting on the trials and tribulations of folks trying to put candidates on the ballot in the United States of America. There are many surprisingly restrictive ballot access laws in this country, which the average voter has no knowledge or conception of; part of the purpose of Ballot-Access (besides reporting on progress made) is to report on these restrictive ballot access laws so that more people are aware of them.

16. 54 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    November 22, 2011 at 9:09 am

GoodMorning TOD Family. That video of dinner with Barack made me tear up. What an amazing person PBO is! :smile:

17. 55 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

sorry – duplicate. I didn’t see the previous post. I thought it disappeared. Please excuse the double post or Chips, if necessary please delete.

• November 22, 2011 at 9:19 am

No worries nospin, for some reason it ended up in pending so I freed it, hence the double post! It’s really weird how some comments with links go straight to pending and others with links don’t. Can never figure it out.

• November 22, 2011 at 9:44 am

Did you talk to Putin yet?

• 58 Dudette
          November 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

Holy-moly, the TOD family is frickin’ AWESOME! What a wealth of knowledge y’all are.
          Thank you chips, rikyah, nospin, creolechild, desertflower, jovie, rellit… heck, everybody I missed. I love you guys!

I would go insane if I didn’t have TOD as respite from the maddening din of hate, lies, and stupidity out there.

18. 59 Brian
    November 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

Did anyone see EPA’s Lisa Jackson on Maddow last night? She is the epitome of how this administration runs: rational, intelligent, forceful. (There is also a reminder of just how ridiculous the opposition she faces is. Watch Rand Paul trying to associate lower pollution levels with higher asthma rates.)

19. 60 rikyrah
    November 22, 2011 at 9:15 am

November 22, 2011 8:35 AM

Romney offers a hint of what’s to come
    By Steve Benen

With just six weeks until Republican voters in Iowa head to their presidential caucuses, Mitt Romney is launching his first television ad of the year. Usually, a candidate’s first commercial is a positive, biographical ad, offering a look at his or her background.

The former governor is going a different route.

Mitt Romney’s first television commercial of his second bid for the Republican presidential nomination hits the airwaves Tuesday, but the ad is already creating a controversy.

President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign and the Democratic National Committee are both slamming the 60-second spot, saying it takes comments made on the campaign trail in 2008 by then-Sen. Obama out of context.

In October 2008, a month before the president was elected, then-candidate Obama spoke in New Hampshire and told voters, “Senator McCain’s campaign actually said, and I quote, ‘If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.’”

In Romney’s new attack ad, viewers only see Obama saying, “If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.” The obvious point is to deceive the public — Romney wants voters to think the quote reflects Obama’s current thinking, not McCain’s three years ago.

Romney, in other words, is choosing to mislead voters and hoping they don’t know the difference.

20. 61 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 9:16 am

What is Working – this link provides you with the details you were requesting for local newspapers. As we get closer to the elections I intend to step up my game to provide useful information that will help PO to win the election and to help Dems to recapture the House.

Home Town News is the one place where you’ll find a link to all daily and weekly U.S. newspapers known to have a Web site. You may either Select a State or click on a state on the map below for a list of links to online newspapers in that state. http://www.hometownnews.com/

21. 62 relellit
    November 22, 2011 at 9:17 am

Good morning everyone in TODville

Despite what the main stream media says it is not both parties to blame. It is republican Leaders John Boehnor, Mitch McConnell, Eric Cantor and the Koch bother’s lobbyist Grover Norquist the 13th member of the Supercommitte.

===================================================================================

Shame on these spineless, misguided, republicans and tea Nuts; for taking an oath to a Koch brother lobbyist instead of to their constituents and the Constitution. Yet, the Tea Party rose up to protect the Constitution which of course has proven to them to be a mere figure of speech. I’m not speaking metaphorically either. In particular I criticize (as usual) Morning Joke on MSNBC for defending that slime bag Grover Norquist

I am not the lest bit surprised since the Tea Nuts& GOP cater to FOX NEWS viewers who coincidentally, have been proven to be the most misinformed, lied too, and un-intelligent according to 2 polls. One was taken earlier. Here is the latest:

Fairleigh Dickinson University has a new survey out showing not just that Fox News viewers in New Jersey are uninformed but that they are less informed than those who watch no news.

Neither, will I be surprised in 2012 these faux Constitutionalists will be sent packing. People are waking up as evidenced by the polls which are the ideas our President has against cutting taxes for the rich, gutting Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), among other domestic programs.

Everyone have a nice day. :)

22. November 22, 2011 at 9:17 am

Good morning to all from spice isle Grenada.

That Romney is a lying POS. I remember the correct quote from then candidate BO quite clearly and Mitt is lying. And that’s just his first ad! Plus he gives chameleons a bad name.

23. 64 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    November 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

I LOVED WATCHING THE DINNER WITH THE PRESIDENT. IT’S A BEAUTIFUL THING TO WATCH! 4 MORE FOR 44!

24. November 22, 2011 at 9:25 am

Don’t trust Lawrence O’Donnell – during the debt ceiling negotiations he was Pres. Obama’s biggest fan because he pompously thought that he knew what the President wanted and would eventually get a clean raise. When that didn’t happen he tore into the President for giving up so much and how he he was out-negotiated by the Republicans. LOD doesn’t realize that Pres. Obama does want the Grand Deal, and will probably tear into the President again when he uses this new found leverage to eventually cut a deal that LOD doesn’t find perfect.

• 66 utaustinliberal
      November 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’m with you SR. LOD goes up and down. He’s a good politico; but he has a massive ego and acts like a know-it-all. When he’s right; he really nails the situation, but throughout the debt ceiling debate he kept behaving as though he was in President Obama’s head and was privy to all information, when he clearly did not know squat and couldn’t comprehend the brilliance of President Obama’s negotiation skills.

25. 67 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 9:25 am

Link to your State news. http://www.stateline.org/live/

Sample of the way we can connect voters to how lack of action to bring our countries finances under control impact our states and how the states pass the pain to cities and counties

Tough economic times are taking a toll on the relationship between states and localities. In this series, Stateline examines what’s at stake as states cut local aid and shift responsibilities to cities and counties. Link to the PDF version – http://cms1.stateline.org/cms/digitalAssets/41260_LocalCrunch_all.pdf or http://www.stateline.org/live/static/The_Local_Crunch

This site also provides a consolidated view of the issues by state

Sample below
    US: For deficit panel, failure cuts two ways
    WASHINGTON — The latest Congressional failure to agree on a plan for balancing the government’s books could yield a surprising result: a sharp reduction in annual federal deficits, larger than anything contemplated by the special panel that reached its fruitless finale on Monday.
    The New York Times

US: Does supercommittee failure imperil Pentagon?
    The congressional supercommittee’s failure to act is supposed to trigger hundreds of billions of dollars of spending cuts for the Pentagon starting in 2013. But even cuts that large don’t come close to cutbacks in military spending in years past.
    National Public Radio

US: Last chance for Medicare, Medicaid reform? Nope
    It would be easy to conclude that the supercommittee’s failure means that the big, expensive health care entitlement programs — Medicare and Medicaid — are untouchable.
    Politico

NY: Cuomo — Panel flop to cost us
    The inability of Congress to come up with a deficit-reduction strategy will come at a high price for New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday, as he activated his top economic advisers to develop an “expedited job creation and fiscal stabilization plan” to deal with fallout from lawmakers’ most recent impasse.
    Times Union (Albany)

26. 68 halo
    November 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love how lal the media concern trolls are whining about NO DEAL! HA!

27. November 22, 2011 at 9:28 am

Good morning, TOD!~

New Resource for Hospitals on Welcoming LGBT Patients and Families

Today The Joint Commission, the nation’s largest healthcare accreditation organization, released a new guide for hospitals outlining best practices and resources for welcoming LGBT patients and their families. The release of this field guide follows the implementation of The Joint Commission’s new LGBT-inclusive non-discrimination standards (PDF) which went into effect in July of this year.

This is huge. Why? Well, The Joint Commission is responsible for accrediting more than 19,000 healthcare organizations and programs in the United States. This guide and the new standards send a message to hospitals that LGBT patients should be included in their efforts to provide the highest quality care possible to all. (You may recall that the Department of Health and Human Services has sent a similar message to hospitals, specifically when it comes to visitation rights of LGBT patients. We blogged a few weeks ago about Secretary Sebelius herself making this message loud and clear.)

As HRC President Joe Solmonese noted in our press release today, “Too often members of the LGBT community face discrimination while accessing healthcare or avoid seeking healthcare all together. Every hospital in the U.S. should take advantage of the resources available in this guide and ensure LGBT patients and families get the care they deserve.”

~snip~

h/t Alison Delpercio

28. 70 halo
    November 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

You know PBO is winning when the media continues to whine and whine and whine!

• 71 Mel
      November 22, 2011 at 11:58 am

halo! we have seen this muvie before remember in 2008 when the media was telling us that HRC was ahead
      by 34%points in the polls, so The MSM will continue to tell us the same lies NOT to worried OBO team will
      deal with Mitten very nicely all they have to do is roll the tapes of Mitten on his 1000 potitions that change
      every second.

29. 72 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 9:34 am

Chips – I found a link to Journalist Express. I am wondering if it would be possible to get your blog added to the site.
    http://www.journalistexpress.com/ It would be great to get this site and others that are pragmatic blogs out front and center to more people who are promote facts without the over the top spin.

• November 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

Wow, that’s a great looking site nospin! Not sure they’d have us, are we a bit too partisan? :lol:

• 74 nospin
        November 22, 2011 at 10:40 am

well there is a section for under Buzz and Gossip if you won’t be insulted by that category. We know you deserve to be listed under the Essential Journalism links. If they can add a link to Go FUGG Yourself :-), they could certainly consider including TheObamaDiary. Will check it out if you like and if they won’t accept your link then no big deal.

30. November 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

From seeing the still pics of the Dinner with Barack, I thought it was three winners and Pres. Obama had Valerie Jarrett with him at the dinner – turns out Juanita Martinez is a doppleganger of sorts for Ms. Jarrett…

31. 79 Don
    November 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

Chips, I want to personally thank you for all the hard work you do everyday in giving us this important information about President Obama. I’m not a sentimental type of guy, but the video about the Vietnam vet and his family really touched me.

32. 80 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

Gwen Ifill a Little Q&A From the Road

“I got to hang out with PBS supporters at sea — I’ve had the chance to answer lots and lots of questions about politics, Washington and even the future of public broadcasting itself. People are engaged in the world around them, frustrated about what they see happening in the nation’s capital, and open to hearing more than one answer to a question.

Q: Are people uninformed, or misinformed? When inaccurate “information” is as plentiful as the truth, what responsibility does a journalist have to point out facts, instead of just presenting various views?

A: We have a great responsibility. Some days we live up to that responsibility quite well; other days we bobble the ball. From my perspective, there are many, many more places to go now to unearth facts than there were when I first got into journalism. There are entire sites devoted to fact checking candidates, for instance. And I am reminded when I judge journalism contests that there is amazing work being done at news outlets big and small, unearthing stories we would not otherwise hear. The big difference is that the responsibility to get to the bottom of things has shifted toward the news consumer. It now often takes just a few clicks of the mouse to get your questions answered, but that’s just as often your finger on the mouse, not mine.

The last statement in Gwe’s answer deserves repeating “The big difference (in journalism today – my addition) is that the responsibility to get to the bottom of things has shifted toward the news consumer. It now often takes just a few clicks of the mouse to get your questions answered, but that’s just as often your finger on the mouse, not mine.”

That is why I appreciate blogs like TOD, POU, TOAITR, TPV and the like. All hands on deck.

Obama/Biden 2012

November 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

And in otherworldly news” WSJ THANKS GROVER NORQUIST!

Tie this around their necks and drown them in their evil

34. November 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

I Must Not Tell Lies: #LiesWeLetThemTellUs

After 30+ years of baldfaced lies from our government, the media, and anyone in a position to profit from it, the first demand of the 99% might simply be no more lies. Sunday on Twitter, Jean Ann Esselink (@uncumbered) started a hashtag game that ended up creating a crowdsourced list of lies we’ve been told in a variety of areas—lies that can be discarded, already, as we have had enough of them.

Powerful and well-financed propagandists are behind most if not all of these lies. However, the hashtag #LiesWeLetThemTellUs suggests that we are partly to blame for not challenging what we were told. Because you are reading PoliticusUSA, I know that you never believed some of these whoppers, but you probably did believe some of them—I know I did. And what struck me as this list grew was how many of these lies have endured because it is more comfortable or at least less inconvenient to believe them. But what made this list worthy to post here is knowing how much better our lives would be now if we as a nation had been more courageous and more tenacious in demanding a truth-based society. Can we learn from this exercise? I have.

~snip~

h/t Cassandra Vert

35. November 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

GOOD MORNING TOD FAMILY here is something I saw on twitter that told the truth it was sent @SpeakerBorhner,had to laugh;
    southerntalker tks
    ‘@SpeakerBoehner *Remember when U walked out on Pres Obama at WH, singing ♪ Zippa de do da ♪ “Well, I say again, *Whose your Daddy Now? VETO
    2 hours ago
    Retweeted by carrieinco

36. 85 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

Campaign Finance Maps. Campaign finance information is now available via easy to use maps of the USA for both Presidential and House and Senate elections through the most recent reporting period. Presidential, House and Senate Election finance http://www.fec.gov/

One stop shop on Presidential Campaign finance

37. November 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

November 22, 2011 9:35 AM

An implausible ‘frontrunner’

By Steve Benen

Six national polls have been released over the last two weeks evaluating the race for the Republican presidential nomination. How many of the six show Newt Gingrich in the lead? All of them.

Here are the new Quinnipiac results, released this morning:

1. Newt Gingrich: 26%
    2. Mitt Romney 22%
    3. Herman Cain: 14%

A CNN poll released yesterday afternoon offered similar results:

1. Newt Gingrich: 24%
    2. Mitt Romney 20%
    3. Herman Cain: 17%

Four other polls released since Nov. 10 — Gallup, Fox News, Public Policy Polling, and Reuters — all show very similar results.

If one or two polls showed Gingrich in the lead, it’s easier to dismiss them as flukes. When every national polls shows him out in front, it suggests a meaningful trend.

• November 22, 2011 at 9:54 am

“By 74 – 24 percent, GOP voters say they would prefer a candidate with whom they agreed on the issues rather than one who can win in November,” said Brown. “Although more seem to prefer Gingrich on issues, it’s clear that they agree Romney is their best candidate in November. The key for Romney will be retaining the perception of being a winner, while convincing skeptical conservatives that he shares their views and values.”

November 22, 2011 at 9:56 am

Where is Huntsman on any of the polls?

• November 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

To busy doing interviews with every single news outlet in DC!

• 90 Lovepolitics2008
          November 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

He is the candidate of MSM, which makes him more important in the race than his actual poll numbers would suggest. If Romney continues to get weakened more and more as time goes by, Huntsman could have an opening. Time will tell… But anyway, the GOP nominee will have a hell of a time convincing american voters, who WON’T be on the same page when it comes to the taxes for the wealthy and the privatization of Medicare.

• November 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

Romney is still benefiting greatly from the Not-Romneys splitting the vote four ways. One of them needs to drop out before Iowa but none of them will, so Mitt will probably win there as well.

• November 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

Him being a Mormon is really hurting him in the primary. That and the healthcare law.
        He is very vulnerable in the primary, but the Republicans will not attack him!

• November 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

It will be interesting to see if Newt will be attacked tonight as the new front runner. Will Romney try to throw any punches or hope that Newt is just the flavor of the month that will flame out like all the rest before him. If the Newt balloon doesn’t pop soon though, Romney could be in trouble as we enter December and folks start tuning out politics as Iowa is Jan 4th, NH Jan 10th, SC in there somewhere and than FLA by Jan 31st.

• 94 prettyfoot58
      November 22, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Poooooooooooooo Romney….no one wants him…

I always thought despite this…Romney would become the Nominee….hmmmmm……perhaps this is the Newt’s time…

38. November 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

Chips,
    Here is a picture of the high school the President will be at today, with live updates—

39. 96 mtmarilyn
    November 22, 2011 at 9:49 am

Good morning Chips and TODville! That video with the dinner party was so emotional and beautiful. How the pundits say he doesn’t relate to people I is beyond me.

My prayer is for all who travel this week to have safe travels and a wonderful Thanksgiving with all you are with.

40. November 22, 2011 at 9:56 am

Study finds five-fold increase in lobbying by religious groups

Lobbying in Washington on religious issues has exploded in the last four decades, according to a new study released Monday. The number of groups engaged in “religion-related” advocacy in Washington has grown from less than 40 in 1970 to more than 200 today, according to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. The study says religious lobbying is a $390 million industry that employs more than 1,000 staffers on more than 300 issues, both domestic and international. The uptick in religious lobbying reflects both the growth of the lobbying business in Washington and an increasing willingness on the part of religious groups to become involved in politics.

The study highlights the careful line that the groups must walk with their lobbying activities, since many of the groups cannot “devote a substantial part of their activities to lobbying” under IRS rules.

~snip~

h/t Rachel Leven

November 22, 2011 at 9:56 am

Is CSPAN carrying the President’s speech live?

42. 99 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

Gebbie Press can provide full contact information for all US Television stations.

Another interesting Blog — Election Law Blog

Source Watch is another site is – SourceWatch!

“The Center for Media and Democracy publishes SourceWatch, this collaborative resource for citizens and journalists looking for documented information about the corporations, industries, and people trying to influence public policy and public opinion. We believe in telling the truth about the most powerful interests in society—not just relating their self-serving press releases or letting real facts be bleached away by spin. SourceWatch focuses on the for-profit corporations, non-profit corporate front groups, PR teams, and so-called “experts” trying to influence public opinion on behalf of global corporations and the government agencies they have captured.” —Lisa Graves, Executive Director

Okay that is it for the day on tagging links Chips. Just wanted to add a few sources that will be valuable in the upcoming year. Folks can leverage a lot of the information, tools and resources to save time on consolidating factual information needed to help make the case to anyone we are connecting with on the local, state and national level.

43. November 22, 2011 at 10:05 am

Romney is in 3rd place in the republican primary- with 9% if the vote- Gingrich is first with 32%.
    in Arizona- Gingrich again has a big lead on Romney-

Quick- email chuck Todd with this!

44. 104 Suzette
    November 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

Chips, you just made my day. Thank you so much for this video.

45. 105 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

GOP Obstinacy Doomed Supercommittee

By Eugene Robinson

WASHINGTON — No, the sun didn’t rise in the west this morning. No, Republicans on the congressional supercommittee didn’t offer meaningful concessions on raising new tax revenue. And no, “both sides” are not equally responsible for the failure to compromise.

46. 106 anniebella
    November 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

Maybe Chris Matthews need to see this dinner with Barack, since Matthews is always telling us that Barack doesn’t contact with the people.

47. 107 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

Republicans working hard to get Obama re-elected

By Darrell Delamaide

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) – Does anyone know what the Republican Party is trying to do, really?

The congressional Republicans have declared it their top priority to keep President Barack Obama from getting re-elected, and have been willing to sabotage every legislative effort to help the economy in order to achieve this.

The Republican presidential hopefuls, in the meantime, seem to be doing everything in their power to make sure Obama gets a second term.

48. November 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

Obama talks incessantly about jobs and the economy, and dunbass Mittens releases an ad with Obama saying that “If we keep on talking about the economy we’re going to lose.” Mittens has nothing to offer but more tax cuts, and more lies. I were Mittens I wouldn’t want the President to talk about the economy either.

49. 109 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

Signs of life in the U.S. economy
    Commentary: Retail sales rise, but politics could still botch recovery

By Irwin Kellner, MarketWatch

PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. (MarketWatch) — Although you wouldn’t know it from the way the stock market has been behaving over the past month, the economic outlook appears to be brightening.

Prosperity may not yet be just around the corner, but a growing number of economic statistics suggest that growth is shifting into a higher gear.

It’s not “Happy Days are Here Again.” It’s not even “Morning in America.” Rather, it’s more like the glass is no longer half empty — it’s half full.

What makes this step-up in economic activity even more interesting is that it is occurring just the way the textbooks say it should.

SKIP
    The failure of the supercommittee to agree on a plan to cut the nation’s long-term debt epitomizes this dilemma.

The “Occupy” protesters would do themselves and the country a lot of good if they shifted their demonstrations to Washington. Maybe then the pols will listen. If not, we will have to wait until the next elections to make our voices heard.

50. 113 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:20 am

Carney On Super Committee: GOP “Unwilling” To Do What American People Want

“The $1.2 trillion that the super committee was supposed to achieve in deficit reduction will happen regardless. That was the purpose of the law. Its Congress’ responsibility to achieve that in the right way, in a better way, in a balanced way and again the president has weighed in with great detail in what he thinks is the right approach. An approach that supported overwhelmingly by the American people, overwhelmingly not just by Democrats and Independents, but by Republicans. And unfortunately we come to a point where — it really is a lot of there’s a lot of complexity that is loaded on to this process unnecessarily and in the end it comes down to a decision by Republicans that they are unwilling to do with the American people say they believe should be done. ”

51. 114 Linda
    November 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

Tonight is the foreign policy debate for the Republican Contestants ….I wonder how many countries they will promise to bomb to whoop up the red meat crowd….

52. November 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

President Obama has threatened to veto any legislation that attempts to eliminate the automatic penalties for Super Committee failure. But on January 1, 2013 — the same day the automatic, across the board spending cuts are scheduled to take effect — all of the Bush tax cuts are set to expire. And the White House plans to use the threat of full expiration the exact same way they’re using the threat of sequestration — to force Republicans to accept a higher tax burden on wealthy Americans.

“He won’t sign a full extension,” said one Senior Administration Official at a White House background briefing for reporters on the Super Committee.

53. 116 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

Gingrich touts plan for personal Social Security savings accounts in N.H.

Gingrich cited President Obama’s recent assertion that he couldn’t guarantee Social Security checks for the next generation as evidence that reform is badly needed. and proposed including creating personal Social Security savings accounts and offering re-training to lawyers and government bureaucrats in need of finding other jobs.The former House speaker said the private Social Security program would be modeled on those in Chile and Galveston, Texas. He said the move would be one of several he would champion to allow “unleashing growth and innovation to move beyond the welfare state.”

He bristled at reporters who asked him if that idea and the bureaucrat training were serious proposals. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57329170-503544/gingrich-touts-plan-for-personal-social-security-savings-accounts-in-n.h/?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

54. 119 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:29 am

Bachmann talks China in 3rd meeting with Trump

Rep. Michele Bachmann, still courting the support of billionaire Donald Trump, said the two discussed the threat from China in their third meeting on Monday.

“We have a lot in common — both of us see the threat that we have from the Chinese to our economy,” the Minnesota GOP congresswoman told reporters after the meeting at Trump Tower. “We see how they are stealing away market share and also jobs out of the United States.”

Bachmann said she and Trump also talked about OPEC and how the oil-exporting organization “is strangling the United States consumer based upon the price at the [gasoline] pump.” She said she will continue to talk with Trump “and we will be in very close contact throughout the election.”

Bachmann spent much of her time bashing President Obama about his handling of the economy, including his chastizing of the super committee. “He has to stop blaming everyone else especially when he has been AWOL on the issue,” and then she spent much of Monday promoting her just-released book, “Core of Conviction.”

File this one under you can’t make this shyte up news. lol

I wonder just how much long term damage these folks are inflicting on the Republican party?

55. 120 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:33 am

Poll: North Dakota Senate Seat Competitive

A poll commissioned by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee offers the first evidence that the race for North Dakota’s open Senate seat could be competitive.

Former state Attorney General Heidi Heitkamp (D) leads Rep. Rick Berg (R) 47 percent to 42 percent in the internal poll, including a 21-point lead among independents. Just 11 percent overall were undecided.

• November 22, 2011 at 10:37 am

It’s a DSCC poll so is taken with a huge grain of salt, but Heitkamp was the top recruit for the seat. She’s likeable and personable and in the very least keeps the seat from being a lock to lose in 2012.

56. November 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

Wow, can’t believe listening to Pres Obama at the ‘dinner table’ is making me cry. My tears are not happy tears but sad tears. Sad because every day I turn on my computer and do my ritual online news reading, I see hateful comments. I keep reminding myself about one article I read that the GOP are paying people to write these vicious comments. It’s downright sickening because in my heart I know Pres Obama is breaking his back to turn this country around regardless of all the roadblocks he comes upon. He is genuine and hasn’t changed his character from the first time I listened to him in 2004. He is so right when he says we need to make sure we finish what we start. I too, will do phone banking, knocking on doors, donating to HIS campaign, and whatever else needs to be done to re-elect Barack Hussein Obama. Love you Mr. President!

Lonnie from Las Vegas :)

57. 123 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:36 am

Turning Back Defense Cuts Now a Likely 2012 Campaign Issue

Republican presidential candidates signaled that if elected next year, they would move to undo $500 billion in sequestered defense cuts set for implementation in 2013, when the GOP commander in chief would take office.

“It was a very bad idea to put our national security on the chopping block, and [I] will, if elected president, reverse those cuts,” former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said Friday in an interview with talk radio host Hugh Hewitt, according to a transcript of the discussion.

Of course, President Barack Obama might win a second term, rendering moot the vows of Republican presidential candidates to reverse the automatic defense cuts now on tap as a result of the super committee’s failure. In fact, Obama said during a brief televised statement Monday evening from the White House briefing room that he would oppose any efforts in Congress to set aside the $1.2 trillion in triggered cuts to defense and social programs that are to be carried out.

“My message to them is simple: No,” he said, adding that he “will veto any effort” to eliminate the automatic cuts without a balanced deal with equivalent deficit reduction. “The only way these spending cuts won’t take place is if Congress gets back to work” and agrees to a balanced package, he added. “There will be no easy offramps.”

That is consistent with signals the Obama administration sent throughout the super committee negotiations.

• November 22, 2011 at 10:37 am

Dumb. Pres. Obama has a very strong record on Defense and most of this country wants cuts to Defense. How are Repubs going to run on preventing cuts? oh… yes more Muslim boogeymen.

58. 128 LOL
    November 22, 2011 at 10:40 am

Oreily on pepper spray incident at UC Davis

“Isn’t pepper spray a food product” #ICan’t #WTF

59. 129 nospin
    November 22, 2011 at 10:43 am

Okay TODers – I have officially removed my bedroom slippers and donned my working boots.

Headed out to go knock on some doors. Catch you all later.

60. 131 LOL
    November 22, 2011 at 10:44 am

OMG. SO the President can’t connect with people but Williard Romney can? GOPolitico is at it again.

Ben Smith: The wide impression that Mitt Romney has trouble connecting to ordinary people has always been contradicted, I’ve thought, by the fact that as a church leader, he was deeply involved in the problems of ordinary people.

The problem with this view, Jason Horowitz suggests today, is that he seems often to have induced cringes in the LDS members he was trying to help.

His piece begins with a truly cringe-inducing story of Romney counseling a middle-aged divorcee on the church’s ban on extra-marital sex.

And then there’s this:

But on a more interpersonal level, Romney had a harder time connecting. During one meeting with the church’s women’s relief society, he encouraged the wives of his peers to look after less fortunate families in the congregation, but advised that the culture shock might be difficult for them. “ ‘Sometimes, people are wearing polyester in Medford,’ ” Dredge recalled Romney as saying. “I thought, ‘Oh my God.’

source: http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

• 132 nospin
      November 22, 2011 at 10:48 am

lololol Pure comedic gold.

• 136 ber6964
      November 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Needs to be tweeted to CM!!

• November 23, 2011 at 10:56 am

WHOA..I don’t watch the talking heads on cable, but I wasn’t aware of this revelation which was mentioned in the article about Chris Matthews:

“At least Limbaugh didn’t mince words with niceties. He actually used the word “uppity.” For both men, it seems that they have a problem with a black man in power and a black family ensconced in the White House. A few months ago, Limbaugh was bewailing Chris Matthews descent into political madness – after all, one needs to remember that sometimes, not too long ago, Chris used to sit in for Rush when Rush was away. I guess Rush Limbaugh was really welcoming Chris home. I guess now Pat Buchanan won’t actually be MSNBC’s only resident racist anymore.”

Thank you, Tulips, that was an excellent find that goes a long way in explaining much about aspects of Matthews’ behavior over the past 3 1/2 years.

61. November 22, 2011 at 11:00 am

Gooood Morning Chips & TODville! :lol:

That ‘Dinner with Barack’ video is a lovely note on which to start my cyber day!! Merci, Mm. Chips! :razz: :grin: :lol:

The video also reminded me of DD4O’s anticipated moment in the sun. I confess that I haven’t been at all impatient the call hasn’t yet happened, because the delay gives me (us ?) something exciting to look forward to. Once the call occurs, I won’t be able to anticipate it any more. [Okay, ....I confess that I'm one of those dolts who rarely opens more than one present on Christmas morning, and that only to appease my offspring. I've been known to let months go by before opening the remaining present or two. Yeah! Yeah! A rather cheesy way to add excitement to my usually humdrum existence. What can I say? ]

62. 140 dotster3
    November 22, 2011 at 11:27 am

What is The View’s Elisabeth talking about??? She just said that Romney and Obama are alike in that they both are able to separate their religions from politics, insinuating Obama’s religious faith is not “mainstream” either and the reason he does not have the approval of a chunk of the electorate. And then she went on to read a list of prominent Mormons. I guess they’ve decided that the fact that Romney is Mormon is what is preventing him from rising in the polls and not acceptable to many voters, especially Republican primary voters. And so his supporters are backing up that “I am Mormon” campaign whose ads have been airing in many swing states.

63. November 22, 2011 at 11:27 am

I posted yesterday from the Daily Dish that one of Newt’s Holy Roller allies has been doing ‘ focus groups’ on Newt for 2 years. And, that, while men might buy his bullshyt, the women have been firm: under NO circumstances will they vote for him. I said this awhile ago, there is only so much that a woman is going to take, even an EVANGELICAL ONE, and a mofo that delivered divorce papers to his cancer-stricken wife – IN THE HOSPITAL – hell no, there ain’t shyt he can say. And, he’s persecuting Bill Clinton, all the while laying on the floor of the Speaker’s Office with WIFE NUMBER THREE?

G-T-F-O-H

…………………………………………………………………

The truth about Newt Gingrich’s first divorce

Newt Gingrich has now set up a Web site designed to combat what he calls errors, false claims and outright lies about his past. In fact, Gingrich’s Web site, not surprisingly, misrepresents the past — cleaning up old misstatements, lying about past indiscretions and generally rewriting history. In this post, I took special notice of Gingrich’s first divorce, since he and his daughter, Jackie Gingrich Cushman, have offered an account that differs in significant details from the account that the first Mrs. Gingrich, Jackie Battley Gingrich, offered at the time.
    Gingrich is right to try to clean up a couple of egregious distortions that have been shunted around over the years, including the notion that Mrs. Gingrich was “dying of cancer” at the time of the divorce. In face, she is alive and well.

I’ve known Newt Gingrich for a long time. I remember when he was first elected to Congress from Georgia, and I remember his swift rise as a pugilistic, bombastic back-bencher. He can be fun in conversation if you enjoy intellectual combat, and I do. He can also be pompous, self-serving, overweening and hypocritical. He uses words as weapons, with little regard for whether what he says is actually true. If he has a moral core, it’s hard to pinpoint.

I have known the Newtster long enough that I remember his very unpleasant divorce from his first wife, Jackie. That’s bound to come up since he’s now holding the anti-Romney chair in the parlor game that passes for a GOP presidential primary. And, over the years, he’s done a reasonably good job of playing defense on that subject, persuading many journalists that their initial reports of that divorce were wrong.

Last year, one of his daughters, Jackie Gingrich Cushman, wrote a revisionist history of the infamous hospital visit, in which she even claimed that it was her mother, Jackie, who wanted to end the marriage. Perhaps that’s true. I don’t know since I was not there.

64. 143 AJ
    November 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

Loved, LOVED the “Dinner with PBO” video. But…I don’t know how the guests managed to eat in front of the president…even chewing seems formidable in such close range of our guy. I mean, if it was me, I’d just be sitting there and listening, deathly afraid I’d spit something inadvertently if my mouth was full.

Wonder if any of the foursome had to go get take out later. ;)

65. 144 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    November 22, 2011 at 11:38 am

WILL BE WATCHING THE PRESIDENT TODAY…I ALWAYS HAVE HIS BACK! 4 MORE FOR 44!

66. 145 SueBee
    November 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Listen..that Dinner with the President video..is just…………….Our President is awesome

67. 146 AnitaW
    November 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

How lucky were these folks? Dinner with Barack was great. The guy in yellow was funny. I read about him in a different post. I think his Mom made the donation and when he won he was afraid because of criminal record he wouldn’t get to go. I’m glad he did.