Dec

evening all

President Barack Obama and former president Bill Clinton tour a building under construction in Washington as part of President Obama’s Better Building Initiative to promote energy efficient buildings

WH: President Obama today announced nearly $4 billion in combined federal and private sector energy upgrades to buildings over the next 2 years. These investments will save billions in energy costs, promote energy independence, and, according to independent estimates, create tens of thousands of jobs in the hard-hit construction sector.

The $4 billion investment announced today includes a $2 billion commitment, made through the issuance of a Presidential Memorandum, to energy upgrades of federal buildings using long term energy savings to pay for up-front costs, at no cost to taxpayers.

In addition, 60 CEOs, mayors, university presidents, and labor leaders today committed to invest nearly $2 billion of private capital into energy efficiency projects; and to upgrade energy performance by a minimum of 20% by 2020 in 1.6 billion square feet of office, industrial, municipal, hospital, university, community college and school buildings. This announcement builds on a commitment made by 14 partners at the Clinton Global Initiative America meeting in June to make energy upgrades across 300 million square feet, and to invest $500 million in private sector financing in energy efficiency projects.

More here

Media Matters: Following breaking news that the unemployment rate dropped from 9 percent to 8.6 percent in November, Fox & Friends aired the following on-screen graphic:

Washington Post: The U.S. military transferred control of its sprawling headquarters outside Baghdad to the Iraqi government Friday, a deeply symbolic moment that launched the final month of a nearly decade-long U.S. presence.

The last few soldiers at Camp Victory, a base that once housed 68,000 military personnel and contractors, departed early Friday afternoon. There are currently 12,000 U.S. troops left in Iraq at five bases, down from a peak of 170,000 at 500 bases in 2007, military spokesman Col. Barry Johnson said. All will be gone by the end of the year.

More here

The Hill: Manufacturing grew for the 28th straight month and faster than it has since June, a report showed Thursday.

The Institute for Supply Management’s manufacturing index increased to 52.7 percent in November, up from 50.8 percent in October. The index’s most recent high was 55.3 percent. Earlier in the year the sector was expanding above 60 percent each month before the economy hit a rough patch in the early summer. Any reading above 50 indicates expansion.

More here

President Obama smiles for a photo with a group Marine Corps Navajo Code Talkers after delivering remarks at the White House Tribal Nations Conference, Dec. 2

Robert Shrum: …. Mitt Romney is at heart a con man …. he would govern as he campaigns, no matter what he actually believes. That’s why the rest of us should be afraid of what Mitt Romney’s America would look like.

In Mitt Romney’s America, unemployment could escalate – or soar …. His long-term fiscal policy would shred the social safety net and devastate programs ranging from college loans to research and development and environmental protections. The wealthy would never be asked to pay their fair share by a president who would never risk alienating Grover Norquist….

Thus the “jobs” candidate could become the jobs destroyer as president – which, of course, was what he was when he dismembered companies and fired workers during his years in the private sector…

….. Medicare would be voucherized and Social Security would be privatized. Insurance companies would be free again to deny coverage to those with pre-existing conditions and to cancel policies as the costs of life-saving treatment mounted. Tens of millions more would be left without health insurance.

And Mitt Romney’s America would be a narrow and bigoted place, too. He opposed the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” He’s proposed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriages. His Supreme Court nominees would tip the balance and overturn Roe v. Wade. And what about civil rights? Romney has become an immigrant-baiter who now wants to build that “danged fence” along the border. The co-chair of his Justice Advisory Committee is Robert Bork, who called the 1964 Civil Rights Act “unsurpassed ugliness”. On issues of equality, Mitt Romney’s America would look a lot like Ted Kennedy’s famous description of Robert Bork’s America, where “rigid ideology will tip the scales of justice against the kind of country [this] is and ought to be.”

….. And that’s why I hope we never have to live in Mitt Romney’s America.

Full article here

TPM

Steve Benen: Every single time the Huntsman campaign releases another anti-Romney video, I have the same reaction: “Hey, that’s pretty good!”

I thought that about the “pretzel” video, the flipping-toy-monkey video, the weathervane video, and this week’s “Mittstant Replay” video.

Today, via Taegan Goddard, Huntsman’s team offers another gem, this time connecting Romney’s incessant flip-flopping to his background with the Olympics. It turns out, Romney flips with all the grace of a crashing gymnast:

More from Steve Benen here

You know the way GOPolitico is obsessed with the President and Israel and spends its days searching for polls that suggest he is struggling with the Jewish community? Well, spare a thought for them, today was a very difficult day:

143 Responses to “evening all”

1. 1 AJ
    December 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Aren’t the two Native Americans (the man and the woman) that PBO is shown hugging people he met during his first campaign? I seem to remember a Native American couple “adopting” him during a ceremony of some sorts. They look awfully familiar..!

• 2 utaustinliberal
      December 2, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Yes they are. They’re his Crow Nation adoptive parents. His Native American name is One Who Helps People Throughout The Land. He’s also known as Barack Black Eagle. :D

December 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Yes, His “parents” that he seems genuinely thrilled to have. Check the previous thread. We had quite the conversation about this :)

2. December 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Once again, masterful summary for us, Chips. Great appreciation for all you do for our Team Obama.

PBO was so sweet and affectionate with his Crow Nation parents. Very moving the way Father Black Eagle spoke of Michelle and the girls.

• 6 CEB
      December 2, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I saw /watched PBO’s comments at the meeting a few minutes ago on whitehouse.gov. Where can I find the video of his interaction with his Crow parents? Thanks.

• December 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I’m not finding it, although I watched it today. The WH version clipped out that part, oddly enough. I’ll keep searching. It’s very, very sweet.

3. December 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Bill Clinton really doesn’t look well in those pictures. For his own and his family’s sake I hope he’s getting regular medical checkups.

• December 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

He’s an old 65 that’s for sure. I’m sure the combination of years as president, the open heart surgery helped greatly to age him decades older than is. Also ever since going vegan to lose the weight he seems too skinny – but that’s just likely more because we were so used to seeing him a little heavier.

• 10 dotster3
        December 2, 2011 at 7:35 pm

My daughter came back from lunch and Clinton stepped off the elevator in the lobby of her co.’s bldg. in Chgo last summer. She said he is very thin, and his face has aged a lot. I don’t think he came out of that surgery unscathed, had some complications. That surgery is tough on most people. That’s why I’m grateful to Mayo Clinic who saved my husband from that surgery 25 years ago, and he’s led a completely normal life ever since.

• December 2, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Being a vegetarian or a vegan would not make him look thin, unless he were purposely dieting. I have been a vegetarian for years and am both healthy and healthy looking. It’s got to be something else going on, or, he’s so afraid of getting another heart attack that he’s over dieting. Many people who have his kind of heart surgery look quite well in a few months or so.

December 2, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I agree, LL. At first I unkindly thought his age (my age) wasn’t wearing well on him, but I do believe he wasn’t looking well.

• 13 vitaminlover
      December 3, 2011 at 2:24 am

Maybe he was secretly drunk.

4. 15 PoliticalJunkessa
    December 2, 2011 at 6:44 pm

♥ ♥ ♥ Good Evening Chips! Good Evening TOD Family! ♥ ♥ ♥

Barack Obama Quote O’ The Day

“The future is ours to win. But to get there, we can’t just stand still. As Robert Kennedy told us, ‘The future is not a gift. It is an achievement.’ Sustaining the American Dream has never been about standing pat. It has required each generation to sacrifice, and struggle, and meet the demands of a new age.”
    –from State of the Union Address, January 25, 2011

Have a great evening, everyone! :-P

5. December 2, 2011 at 6:44 pm

But, Mort Zuckerman says that all Jews everywhere just haaaaaaaaaaaate Obama! How can I put my faith in anything ever again??

• 21 utaustinliberal
      December 2, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Mort makes me want to smash something everytime I see him sitting smugly on the panel at MoJo being derisive and snide about PBO and the middleclass. He doesn’t seem to realize he’s a know nothing.

6. December 2, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Yup, it’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas…:)

A new UMass Amherst Poll released today found that Elizabeth Warren has opened up a four point lead on Scott Brown, 43%-39%.

Warren’s lead in the poll was within the margin of error, but the Democratic challenger leads Sen. Brown in several key areas. Warren leads Brown 38%-32% on the question of which candidate would do a better job handling the economy. She also leads the Republican incumbent, 40%-29% on healthcare, and 37%-30% on taxes. Brown leads Warren 33%-25% on the handling of terrorism.

Brown leads with men, 46%-40%, but Warren enjoys a much larger lead with women, 46%-31%. Warren leads with both those making less than $40K (42%-27%), and those making more than $40K (48%-37%). Brown leads with those who earn over $100,000 a year, 48%-42%. Warren has a big lead with younger voters (18-29), 52%-21% and those over 55 (44%-41%), but Brown leads with voters age 30-54 (44%-38%). Brown leads with Republicans (93%-0%) and Independents (49%-31%), but Warren has a big lead with Democrats (78%-6%).

~snip~

In fact, it is the Obama constituency that is powering a great deal of the support for Elizabeth Warren. Like Obama, Warren has a big lead with younger and female voters. The worst news of all for Brown is that Obama has a big 15 point lead over Mitt Romney in the state. If the Obama voters come out to the polls next November, they will be supporting Elizabeth Warren.

h/t Jason Easley

• December 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Well, spank my ass and call me Charlie! I hope Sen. Brown enjoyed keeping Teddy’s seat warm. There’s always more nude modeling for him, though.

• 24 utaustinliberal
        December 2, 2011 at 7:09 pm

“Spank my ass and call me Charlie” I loooooove TOD. Everyday I learn a new thing about politics and salty phrases. Can’t beat that. :lol: :lol:

• 25 utaustinliberal
        December 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I remember where I heard that phrase now. South Park!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve got more for you. Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Well suck my socks and call me Suzie! Well blow me dry and call me dusty! Well f**k me sideways and call me a donkey! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love South Park. :D

• December 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Just looking at Brown I get the feeling that this is someone whose time came and went. He was a novelty in 2010 and he arrived at a moment when voters felt nasty and rebellious and the Tea Party was in its element. Then he went to DC and he was the same old, same old backward thinking Republican and now the novelty has worn off and there’s no there there.

• December 3, 2011 at 2:14 am

I’ll always be ashamed for Massachusetts that they could give that seat to someone who swore to be the 41st vote that would erase the signature achievement that the prior occupant of the seat spent a lifetime trying to bring to the people of that state. I’ll never understand that kind of apathy.

7. December 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Prison for New Orleans cop in Katrina shooting

A former New Orleans police officer was sentenced to five years in prison for helping cover up a deadly shooting in the days after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans in 2005. Ten New Orleans police officers have been convicted in a federal probe into a police shooting on September 4, 2005 that killed two civilians and seriously injured four others on the city’s Danziger Bridge, just after the hurricane.

Robert Barrios was the last of five police officers being sentenced who was linked to the shooting and cooperated with investigators. Barrios was in a group of police officers who drove to the bridge after five other police officers had opened fire against the civilians. In April 2010, Barrios admitted to federal prosecutors “that he agreed with other officers to obstruct justice during the investigations that followed the shooting,” the Justice Department said in a statement.

~snip~

8. 32 debbyeOh
    December 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I’m watching Rev Al right now, he’s talking about Elizabeth Warren right now. That is such exciting news! Also, those pictures and vid of our Presidentare so cool. Ms Chips, you are amazing, I want to thank you and the rest of this community for just being here! Later. #PressOn

9. December 2, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Wow…President Obama has all hands on deck!~

US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner will travel to Europenext week for talks with authorities focused on fighting theeurozone debt crisis, the Treasury Department said Friday.

Geithner “will travel to Europe December 6-8, 2011, for discussions with his counterparts on their efforts to reinforce the institutions of the euro area,” the department said in a statement.

The US Treasury chief is slated to arrive Tuesday in Frankfurt for meetings with European Central Bank president Mario Draghi and the head of Germany’s Bundesbank, Jens Weidmann.

He will travel to Berlin for a meeting in the afternoon with German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schauble.

On Wednesday, Geithner will be in Paris to meet with French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Finance Minister Francois Baroin. He will then travel to Marseille, France, for a bilateral meeting with Spain’s Prime Minister-elect Mariano Rajoy.

Geithner will visit Milan on Thursday for a meeting with the Italian prime minister and finance chief, Mario Monti.

He is to return to Washington Thursday, the statement said.

~snip~

• December 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm

The problem with the Eurozone from the beginning was that it achieved monetary union without financial union. It would be as if all of our 50 states shared the dollar, but each state had its own central bank and fiscal policy. Now Sarkozy is saying that the Eurozone treaty has to be completely renegotiated to give Brussels more authority, which will pretty much be like pulling hen’s teeth. Both the right and the left complain about “unelected Brussels bureaucrats”; giving the EU and ECB more power might blow up the Union completely.

• December 2, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Do you think they’ll give Sarkozy what he wants?

• December 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I will have to do some more reading of the European press to get a better idea. Chancellor Merkel from Germany is pretty much against the idea, which means it’s dead. Her and Sarkozy are having another summit Monday, so we’ll see if any agreement is reached.

• 37 Mel
            December 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm

L.L I really enjoy reading your comments and your knwladge of what’s going around the world.
            WE will have to wait what sarkozy and merkel come out with. you area very smart person.

10. 38 Tulips
    December 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Chipstick i laughed at the first heading. I said chip worked so hard she has’nt realized its the evening. LOL! thanks for the updates.

11. December 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Okay, I’m not embarrassed that I originally called this post ‘afternoon’, when, in fact, it’s ‘evening’ in Washington. :oops:

12. December 2, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Anyone who knows anything ’bout contemporary R&B will understand why I’m dedicating this song to Herman Cain in anticipation of his “announcement” tomorrow.

I imagine it playing as he walked into the house to “reassess his campaign” with his wife!
    BTW, it’s the chorus that’s the killer!

Erykah Badu – Tyrone

[Chorus]
    I think ya better call Tyrone
    (Call Him)
    And Tell him come on,
    Help you get your Shit (Come On, Come on)
    You need to Call Tyrone
    (Call Him)
    And tell him I said come on

13. December 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Vote on finalists for Elizabeth Warren’s tee shirt slogan – http://elizabethwarren.com/t-shirt-finalists

-The best candidate money CAN’T buy
    -Middle class folks buy shirts, not senators.
    -Elizabeth has my vote (front) / Elizabeth has my back (back)
    -I’m with Warren not Wall Street
    -A vote for Elizabeth is a vote for you

Initially I like the first one (The best candidate money CAN’T buy), but I might be moving over to “I’m with Warren not Wall Street” – not snappy or clever but straight to the point.

14. December 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

More than 60% of adult illegal immigrants in the U.S. have lived here for at least 10 years and nearly half have minor children, according to a report published Thursday by the Pew Hispanic Center. The analysis based on data from the March 2010 Current Population Survey and the Pew Hispanic Center’s 2010 National Survey of Latinos shows a marked increase in the long-term duration of illegal immigrants in the U.S. compared with a decade ago.

~snip~

h/t Paloma Esquivel

15. December 2, 2011 at 7:17 pm

well NBC News reporting what seem obvious: Herman Cain “Likely” to Withdraw from Pres Race.

uh…no shit sherlock!

• December 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

But why would he be doing it at the opening of a new campaign office? That makes no sense. Then again, nothing any of the Klown Kar Klatsch does makes sense. It’s as if they just want to throw the election to PBO.

• December 2, 2011 at 7:34 pm

The opening of the campaign office was already planned probably. And that’s the next major “news” thing concerning the campaign and I suspect a large enough amount of supporters will be there to give “moral” support.

I think that the office opening could just be a convenience without having to take reporters questions.

• 68 Mel
        December 2, 2011 at 11:17 pm

PBO will be re- elected no matter how much Karl and the Koch brothers money pump in
        The people have all ready seen those clowns they are just nuts.

16. December 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Clinton looks gaunt. I hope he’s doing well. Might just be fatigue, I don’t know, but damn, I’m concerned.

• December 2, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Is this the REAL Drunken Irishman …. of DU fame?

If yes:

Love ya!!!!!

• December 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

It is!

Thank you for the welcome.

• December 2, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!

Okay, deep breath.

People, you have no idea how much I loved this Drunken Irishman fella in my past interwebs life, he never failed to make me smile – or think.

I’m insanely happy that you’ve dropped in, DI, thank you SO much!

• December 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Really looking forward to becoming acquainted and hearing more!!

• December 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Aww! Well damn, I am flattered.

I’ve been a long-time follower of this blog, but since election season is getting into gear, I thought I’d start posting!

You know how to make a guy feel welcomed, that’s for sure!

I look forward to meeting a whole new group of Obama supporters and celebrate our way to reelection!

• 76 Mel
      December 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Clinton is extremely bussy arounf the world and here and Clinton will be campaining for
      PBO we have to remember 15 Million voted for HRC , and PBO does talk with Clinton a lot.

• 77 Puddin'
        December 3, 2011 at 2:42 am

I am sorry but FORMER PRESIDENT CLINTON would do himself (and us) good if he would allow PBO to be PRESIDENT. Clinton can’t seem to help himself…he has to have the last word. I think it is very disrespectful of him to try to “out shine” PBO…when the reporter asked about Clinton’s advising the President (as PBO was walking away at the end of his speech) Clinton just had to walk back to the mic and say something…no other FORMER PRESIDENT has done what Clinton is doing…and he think he is being slick…imo!

• 78 Puddin'
        December 3, 2011 at 2:48 am

That was then and this is now….PBO has done more in the past three years than any president in history…those “Hillary supporters” should recognize the facts and vote for PBO regardless if FORMER PRESIDENT CLINTON campaign for him or not. FORMER PRESIDENT CLINTON is NOT the great white hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Bless this incredible, smart, strong woman! If anyone can, you should donate to her….we need her:) she will fight with Goliath….

18. December 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hi y’all! Running my finger down the earlier thread and seeing HOW MUCH I had to read was enough to temporarily freak me out, :( so I went into avoidance mode, did a quick peak on Twitter and saw this –

Earlier thread looks quite meaty, so I’m going to pluck up my courage, close my eyes and dive in. Wish me luck.

By the way, Good evening, everyone!

19. 84 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    December 2, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Chips for this roll out. That Mitten’s Video is so brutal. I will have to go give Bob Shrum a shout out on Twitter that article is so honest and to the point that Willard is a fraud #Obama2012

• December 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Loved that Robert Shrum article too, M40 – he’s consistently brilliant. I think I love him. Intensely!

• December 2, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Positive proof – the more love you give, the more you have to give? {Just thinking of how many loves you, M4O, Lisa, and other TODville ladies seem to have. Whatever happened to ‘so & so is THE (implying ‘only’) love of my life’?}

• 87 utaustinliberal
      December 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm

The Willard video is wonderful. I just tweeted @JonHuntsman. Told him I despised his policies but thanks for helping Democrats in exposing Willard’s flip flopping. ;)

• 90 dotster3
      December 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm

and I think his warnings could apply to any of the Repub candidates—-voucherize medicare, privatize soc. sec,. repeal health care reform, turn America into a bigoted place, where rigid ideology would turn America into the kind of country it isn’t or ought to be.

20. December 2, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I think the opening of the new campaign headquarters is just a red herring. The opening of the campaign office was probably already on the schedule. And that’s the next major “news” thing concerning the campaign and I suspect a large enough amount of supporters will be there to give “moral” support.

21. December 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

President Barack Obama will not formally apologize to Pakistan for the NATO airstrikes last week that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, although the State Department had encouraged him to do so, The New York Times reported. State Department officials believe that a show of remorse could help salvage America’s relationship with Pakistan, but White House officials have overruled the decision, The Times reported. The Defense Department believes that the statements made by senior department officials and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were enough for now.

~snip~

According to The Times, Obama administration officials worry that the decision will expose Obama to Republican attacks for ignoring the Defense Department’s advice. [“Obama administration officials?” Who? For real? First of all, his staff is aware of the fact that no matter what he does the GOP will find a way to criticize him. Imo, this particular statement deserves the side eye.~]

h/t Mariya Karimjee

December 2, 2011 at 7:43 pm

well, considering that it was found out this week that it was THE PAKISTANIS that authorized that strike that killed all those people, he was right(again) not to do that!

December 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I don’t believe any of that report. First of all, if the State Department encourages him to do anything, it’ll be between Secretary Clinton and President Obama – since it’s HIS State Department and HE sets the policy. Second, “Obama administration officials worry that the decision will expose … ” I fully believe “The Times” did not hear that from any administration officials.

Balderdash!

• December 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Agree. Unless the president himself says it, it’s all made up nonsense.

• 98 Puddin'
        December 3, 2011 at 2:53 am

I agree with you jacquelineboomer…the msm (including “The Times”) are always trying to keep sh*t stirred up…they make up sh*t to report.

• 99 Chi
          December 3, 2011 at 3:57 am

The PUMA anti-President Obama ‘anonymous sources’ at Hillary Clinton’s behest are at work again…

Leaking damaging stories to their sources in the press…

Ironic that this comes out just as they also do a story on ‘how Hillary continues to rack up and maintain great foreign policy successes’…

The State department is part of the Obama administration…not an independent entity contrary to what some who work within it think…

The Foreign Policy directives are the President’s and so are the successes…

22. December 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Boehner and McConnell have to be shaking in their boots. The President is using the power of his office to turbo charge the economy independent of Congress. Republicans threw everything they had into wrecking it. That didn’t work and now they all watch helplessly as The President starts firing up the afterburners. Powerful foundations are being laid and there’s nothing one term Mitch can do to stop it.

December 2, 2011 at 7:48 pm

And every time they open their mouths…they dig the hole deeper :) All the better to bury them in come 2012. They have NEVER met such a smart and savvy thinker as this President….they thought the oyster was all theirs….and their arrogance and power lust will be their undoing…they will kill themselves.Couldn’t happen to a more deserving group of evildoers.

• December 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Isn’t this great, Derbingle? :lol:

My hope is that the President’s consistent manoeuvring will bring the unemployment rate down to the low 8’s and keep it there going into fall 2012. Then his supporters (us) can point out repeatedly* if PBO & his Admin were able to do that in the face of persistent opposition, WHAT would he have accomplished for America with senators DOING THE JOBS FOR WHICH THEY COLLECTED SALARY!!

*to local media, personal contacts, family, etc. etc.

December 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

This is why the messaging we all do in our respective states, matters! Everyone needs to sign up with WiW…and get the message out! Any one of us can do a much better job of getting the achievements and truths out about this administration!

23. 104 Uche
    December 2, 2011 at 7:49 pm

This just made my day. For all the hand-wringing from the frustrati and emoprogs about not getting a single-payer health care law, i say just sit back and watch a grandmaster playing 16-dimensional chess!

24. December 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Am I hearing correctly? ….The Donald Is to host the next debate??????? Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww, can’t be :roll:

• 106 dotster3
      December 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

It gets nuttier and nuttier. Mediaite’s headline is “Republican candidates of substance should sit out Trump moderated GOP debate”. My first reaction was extreme doubt about the existence of any Repub candidates of substance. But the writer argues that this development “makes a complete mockery of an institutional process that is already short on credibility and gravitas…”. And that “Trump’s messaging is bad for America—-whether it be his casual description of his good relationship with ‘the blacks’ or his quixotic and divisive quest for Obama’s birth certificate.” And that “Trump has consistently been on the wrong side of what most reasonable people call good judgment”. If there’s anyone who should take a seat, it is this phony baloney blowhard and disgusting human being, Donald Hair Trump.

• 107 vitaminlover
      December 3, 2011 at 2:00 am

With Trump can we say “kiss of death”?

25. 108 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    December 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hi TODers. This video just showed up on my Facebook feed and I thought you might like to see how gracefully the President responds to this young boy’s question. A question which would knock most people off balance but not our guy. Never have I had more respect for a leader.

• 109 Uche
      December 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Totally agree WOS…I watched it live the day it happened. It was an amazing response.

• December 2, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Our President is just amazing. Nothing seems to phase him. He can handle whatever question he is given, can you imagine Newt or Mitt handling that one? Incredible kindness and wisdom from PBO.

• December 2, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Yeah, I remember this! I also remember a follow-up interview with the lad & his parents. I wish these children who have had one-on-one dialogue with the President – and his wife- will grow up and be able to vote for a politician of PBO’s calibre.

• 112 Walking_on_ Sunshine
          December 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I had never seen it before. He’s just such a lovely guy. And cool. Let’s not forget cool….

I am loving the picture of the President today with his Native American parents.

Sorry to see Bill Clinton not looking so well but I’m glad they are working together on such an important and promising initiative. You really can’t do better than a program that pays for itself, creates jobs and is good for the environment. Win win win.

It’s good to have a smart President ;)

• 113 JoJothecat
          December 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I remember that day too…I wanted to cry until PBO explained it so well that even an adult like me felt better. That young man must be in the 6th or 7th grade now…I wonder how he is doing.

• December 2, 2011 at 8:24 pm

PBO reeks CLASS and dignity. A very special human being. Thank you, WoS.

• December 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I remember that. I loved this exchange, but I was angered by the fact that soon after PBO took office, grown ass ADULTS started throwing tantrums and attempting to squelch the innocent enthusiasm and excitement children felt for PBO. It was truly disgusting. They haven’t been able to stop it, however, as all the wonderful pics of PBO with young ones show us. They still love him.

26. December 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm

It is obvious that Pres. Clinton is beginning to slide in mental acuity. That was some rambling, repetitious speech from him. No wonder PBO put him on a committee to keep him busy and less idle time talking trash about him. Brilliant.

December 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I disagree.I think he’s sharp as a tack, and passionate about doing this. If this is how he enjoys spending his time…doing good in this way, helping this administration achieve these goals, and America reduce its energy dependence, great!
      He is many things, both good and not so good…but I do believe that he finds pleasure in this and patriotism….and as far as his rambling….he’s ALWAYS liked to talk! When he DOESN’T, then something’s wrong :) I think we should let him be…let him do good things. I don’t think that PBO is annoyed or threatened by him at all….he is too comfortable in his own skin and self assured to be worrying about Bill. He’s got this. My two cents…

• December 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm

totally agree desertflower. I’ve watched the video 3 times now trying to hear and see what others saw and heard. POTUS and Clinton looked comfortable together and showed comfortable mutual respect. (Too funny how POTUS said “I’m probably responsible for him being home alone too often”.) They’ve spent so much time together by now since they joined forces against McCain in 2008 that they probably have to work at it a bit to have an appropriate display of formality such as when speaking about each other at an event like this.

• December 3, 2011 at 2:26 am

I have to agree with you, Zizi. I just felt that he was a bit scatterbrained. He’s a year younger than my mother, but he seemed less cogent. I hope he’s not ill. The video disturbed me. He did seem rambling.

27. December 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

LOL – talking to myself back on the previous thread. Oh well, got some stuff off my chest to a truly awful person at Daily Kos. And now u guys don’t need to read it since it’s back there. Worked out all around! :)

• December 2, 2011 at 8:25 pm

It just takes a minute to go back and see what’s going on!!

• December 2, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Thanks for fighting the nuts at the big orange. I don’t have the stomach for it. They are frauds.

• December 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Thanks meta. I never bother but this is such a big deal and she deserves what she had coming. She is a fraud and it’s so satisfying to see POTUS continually besting the frauds and their bullshit.

• December 2, 2011 at 8:57 pm

When the ACA passed I read about all the different aspects that had coiled springs to be unsprung at a later date. But I’ve since sort of forgotten when those dates were and it’s really wonderful to discover these little Easter eggs, one at a time. Like yesterday, Sec. Sebelius released major HHS funds to issue grants for Health IT training, creating an incentive for hospitals to become fully IT compliant. That will spur job growth in the months ahead AND save healthcare costs. WIN WIN WIN WIN.

28. December 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm

If anyone is looking for a cool Holday greeting card, this project is a winner

Pictures of Hope Holiday Greeting Card Project

29. December 2, 2011 at 8:35 pm

If you go out to a big box store and shop Kohl’s might be a better choice than some of the others.

Kohl’s Named Green Power Partner of 2011

30. December 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Happy to see CBS do this story.

Why your taxes may go up next year

“That’s what is at stake as Democrats on Capitol Hill push this week for a vote on whether to continue the temporary reduction in payroll taxes, which expires at the end of the year. A no-brainer? Well, in a way. Top Republican lawmakers oppose extending the tax break. Or rather, they oppose how their colleagues across the aisle intend to pay for the cut — raising taxes on people who make more than $1 million a year. “

31. December 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm

FYI –

President Obama and The First Lady Honor the Kennedy Center Honorees
    December 04, 2011 5:10 PM EST

WOOOOTTT!!!!

32. December 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I blew up on Twitter…..I am so blind as to why everyone like to talk about the GOP? I hear about them on the TV all day when I have a day off. let’s start putting the word out on what the President has done for us…here is my page:

33. December 2, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Hello all. Just got in. right on time to see Jeff Dunham’s comedy special with my favorite person Walter:

RSS OFA