Dec

beep beep beep

President Barack Obama talks to Secret Service Uniformed Division officers as he walks through the magnetometer in the Northwest Gatehouse at the White House, following his visit to Blair House, Dec. 9. The President told a reporter as he exited the gatehouse, “I just wanted to see what it was like getting in here.” (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Pool report: Pool was out of earshot during the president’s two or three minute visit to the gate house but (radio talk show host) Bill Press was at the stakeout spot and generously passes along some color.

Obama: “I just wanted to see what it was like getting in here.”

Bill Press: “Not so easy, is it?”

Obama, patting his pockets, as if for keys or phone: “I think I beeped a couple of times.”

Afterward, Bill talked to agents:

Potus shook hands all around. Talked football, said he was Chicago Bears fan. Wanted to know how entry worked. Went through metal detector. Set it off. Guard told him he’d probably left cellphone in pocket.

Tomorrow:

2:05 The President departs the White House en route to Landover, Md.

2:15 Arrives Landover

2:30 Attends Army v Navy game with VP Biden and Jill Biden

5:25 Departs Landover

5:35 Arrives White House

A Statement by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius:

Plan B One-Step is an emergency contraceptive, sometimes referred to as the “morning after pill.” Plan B One-Step is currently labeled over the counter to women ages 17 years and older, but is sold behind the pharmacy counter. It is available by prescription only to women 16 years and younger. My decision does not change any current availability of the drug for all women.

In February 2011, Teva Women’s Health Inc. submitted to the FDA a supplemental new drug application for Plan B One-Step. This application sought to make Plan B One-Step available over the counter for all girls of reproductive age. The science has confirmed the drug to be safe and effective with appropriate use. However, the switch from prescription to over the counter for this product requires that we have enough evidence to show that those who use this medicine can understand the label and use the product appropriately. I do not believe that Teva’s application met that standard. The label comprehension and actual use studies did not contain data for all ages for which this product would be available for use.

Full statement here

Thanks Meta

Keith Humphreys (Washington Monthly): African-American Liberals Know How to Love Their President

Jonathan Chait’s much-discussed essay in New York magazine indicted the left for being perennially, loudly and unrealistically disappointed in Democratic Presidents. In Chait’s view, much of the left ignores the constraints on Presidential power (e.g., Congress, of which Drew Westen et al seem to be in ignorance) and doesn’t have the stomach or attention span for the slow, daily grind of governance. He also charges the left with crippling their own leaders with faithlessness and then blaming them when they are thereby forced to compromise with the other side. Chait sees these patterns as almost entirely independent of Obama, being instead a style, outlook and set of norms among liberals that goes back for decades….

All of this is true of a certain type of liberal in the U.S., but I wish Chait and Kristof had taken the time to exempt from criticism the most stalwart segment of liberal America: African-Americans. Perpetually indignant white liberals could learn a lot from them.

…. I cringe at the white, alleged liberals who call on Obama to acknowledge that his is a failed presidency. They want the first Black President in history to, effectively, announce that he is a bumbling affirmative action baby, apologize for being so uppity as to have ever assumed otherwise and resign in disgrace so that Hillary Clinton or some other qualified (i.e. white) person can lead the party…..

But all that said, my own question of why Blacks so love Obama elides the broader reality evidenced by their very high approval ratings of a white Democratic President, Bill Clinton. Blacks have a special place in the hearts for Barack Obama, but fundamentally, if you are a Democratic President, Black people in this country have your back…..

Read full post here

Business Insider: When President Obama makes his pitch to voters next year on why they should elect him to a second term, he’ll likely point to some version of this chart.

What the chart shows is that Obama inherited a bum economy but that, under his watch, things have begun to turn around. In the past year, the unemployment rate has dropped a full percentage point amid improving job growth….

More here

186 Responses to “beep beep beep”

1. December 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! “I just wanted to see what it was like getting in here.” PBO is too cute. He hasn’t gone through one of those (metal detectors) in years.

2. 3 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    December 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm

BEING PRESIDENT PUTS HIM IN SUCH A BUBBLE…WAS HAPPY TO SEE HIM TAKING A WALK TODAY. HE MISSES THOSE WALKS..:(

3. December 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm

How comes Miche isn’t going to the army/navy game?

4. December 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Why do I get the feeling that some of our ladies would’ve preferred this to have happened?

5. 14 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    December 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

NAUGHTY MATTS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!….LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

6. 16 Dave
    December 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

A brilliant man and….Oh right! Just happens to be the inspiring Leader of The Free World. Yet still a regular guy and family man like someone you might ACTUALLY KNOW and like and want to spend time with.

Can you imagine spending any amount of time with ole BOMBASTIC Uncle Newt? (Oh pleeeeease God make him shut up! Will he EVER shut up? Chanting now: STFU-STFU-STFU-STFU-STFU…….. )

7. 20 donna dem 4 obama
    December 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This is just a clip of the interview but I didn’t get a good feeling watching this.

Here is the clip of the 60 minutes interview:

Why does CBS have the headline, “Obama: Unemployment could go down to 8% by election”. He was asked the question and simply said he thought it was possible but was not in the job of prognosticating. Somehow they get that headline out of his response. I hate our media!

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml?tag=hdr;cnav#ixzz1g5dDxp2R

• 21 halo
      December 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm

What was wrong with it? Answer seemed fine. The President is so adept at answering questions and speaking, I have every confidence that the interview will be great. Don’t read the comments. I swear it’s like all these right wingers sit on their butt at home and trash everything the President does. Have you ever read like Yahoo comments? It’s disgusting. So I wouldn’t be too discouraged about it.

• 22 utaustinliberal
        December 9, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Yahoo comments are the worst of them all. I imagine they’re paid trolls; because if they truly are regular people writing such racist, filthy bile about PBO and his family, I shudder to think how they treat those around them.

• 24 conlakappa
        December 10, 2011 at 12:22 am

It’s still a bad question and a setup. If the number isn’t down to that, he’ll hear about it. If it is, it sounds like it was cynically tied to the election. It sounds like the number is manipulated all in connection with the election. Yes, I know it’s not. But we’ve seen the media folks play fast and loose with facts and context.

• 25 vitaminlover
      December 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Fret not, donna dem, our Beloved President can handle the media even when he isn’t interviewing with them. He’s got this. It will be okay.

• December 10, 2011 at 1:54 am

When I heard this quote on NPR tonight, I thought that it didn’t sound like the President to offer an exact estimate of what he thought the unemployment number would be like – and I knew when I heard it that he would say exactly what he said. They are advertising it as though he offered the 8% as the estimate, which isn’t accurate. Typical media nonsense. And another thing they’ll be quoting him inaccurately for the next year…

8. December 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Here is Sec. Sebelius’ brief statement about her decision. Please share with all who are freaked out over this decision.

You’ll see when you read this that this whole brouhaha is just total BS. Here’s the gist of it:

Today’s action reflects my conclusion that the data provided as part of the actual use study and the label comprehension study are not sufficient to support making Plan B One-Step available to all girls 16 and younger, without talking to a health care professional. Plan B One-Step will still be available over the counter to women ages 17 and older.

MUCH ADO.

• December 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Well, if Plan B can’t be dispensed at the school lunch counter, then Obama is a paternalistic fascist henpecked husband.

(Waits for someone at Salon to make that argument.)

• December 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Here’s the main issue for Sebelius spelled out in plain English. It’s about the lack of instructions and lack of studies about same for younger girls:

• 36 nathkatun7
      December 10, 2011 at 12:44 am

“MUCH ADO” about absolutely nothing! As far as I am concerned, this is manufactured outrage over a very sensible decision by the HHS, Kathleen Sebelious. I see nothing wrong with trying to make sure that the health and well being of children (and I consider any one under sixteen as a child) are protected.

9. 37 donna dem 4 obama
    December 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm

My twin sons are West Point Graduates (their football team sucks) so we’ll be sitting on the Army side at FedEx Field tomorrow. This is a Big Deal every year at the Donna Dem Household. Please let it not be freezing cold tomorrow. :)

• December 9, 2011 at 8:44 pm

My husband was Navy submariner and now our son-in-law is an officer in the sub service. (Weird, huh?) Anyway, we’ll be rooting for Navy, of course. I do hope for your sake, it isn’t freezing cold — and huge congrats about your twin sons. That is totally wonderful and I know you are extremely proud.

December 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

How cool is that! My husband was a submariner, too! Always said he didn’t want to go on “something that sank on purpose” but ended up loving it. Seems like so long ago. Navy all the way.

December 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Luck you! Got to go with Navy though…my husband spent 20+ years of his life in the Navy…..:) Maybe you’ll have your “talk” at the game!! Wouldn’t THAT be something… Have fun. Hope you don’t freeze!

• 41 donna dem 4 obama
        December 9, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Ha! My seats are soooo far from the nice warm suite I’m sure the President will enjoy. It really would be nice to get that “talk” as a Christmas
        present some time this month. :)

I’d be rooting for Navy as well if it wasn’t for my sons but shhhhh don’t tell them. We are lucky the game is here this year. We don’t go every year but the games are usually in Philly so this is a real treat to have the game so close to home.

December 9, 2011 at 9:20 pm

whatever happens, you will enjoy the day! Did anyone get in touch with you yet about “the talk”? Seems like it’s been awhile.

• 43 donna dem 4 obama
            December 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Nope not a word. I know the person who won the other category and she hasn’t gotten her call either so they must be busy with scheduling.

December 9, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I’m certain that you will get your call. PBO doesn’t make promises he has no intention of keeping. Maybe if he has some time on his hands babysitting the Congress to get the tax cut figured out, while his family is vacationing WITHOUT HIM…he’ll give you a holler. After all, it’s not like the guy hasn’t been a little tied up :)

10. 45 collegekay
    December 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Lol. He’s so cute!

Yup, that’s what we have to go through Mr. President. :D

• 47 EDP4BHO
      December 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm

He’s always said it would take more than one term, atleast, to fix the mess Bush left for everybody. All anyone needs to do (including Kroft) is to view his campaign speeches. This interview just did not need to happen. Pointless.

• 48 halo
        December 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Every speech he gave was “There will be set backs. There will be false starts. It will take more than a year, and even one term.” It’s just that we live in a 24/7 news cycle that forgets what happened 6 hours ago.

• 49 EDP4BHO
          December 9, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Yep, it’s those false starts that people do not seem to understand. Whenever something is broken, it needs to be an attempt at repair before testing to see if it’s again viable. With a macro economy, not even all the economists agree on how best to get that engine going, running forward, and being sustained. PBO is working with the best info available. Problem is, too many people don’t bother to understand how their government works.

• 51 Janelle
      December 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I won’t be watching this. I already know where this is headed with Steve Kroft. The full interview , which few see, will be comprehensive but what airs will be very negative. I always love though how PBO never tries to sugarcoat things and really empathizes with people and tries to explain what he’s trying to do. He always said he’ll be straight with people and he always is—-I can’t stand our media and have been taking a break from it for about a year and half. The media wants a horserace next year by any means necessary even if that means reporting 24/7 Obama bashing to do it.

• 53 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
      December 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

It takes more than one Year, More than One Term probably More than One President. Elizabeth Warren Will Continue Off after we elect her President in 2016.

• December 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm

If the GOP had been smart it would’ve allowed Liz Warren to take the consumer protection job. Now she’ll likely win the Senate seat, and have a launching pad to become the first female President in 2016.

• 55 Mel
          December 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm

You bet ya I think she is going to win Karl Rove is making a big mistake by attacking her because
          she is a Professot at harvard wooow how stupin can he be? I sure would like to have a very smart
          person to represent me NOT a STUPID one.

• 56 GGail
      December 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I’m gonna withhold my judgement regarding this interview with Steve Kroft until I view the whole segment. It appears to me that CBS is quite interested in interviewing this President on a rather frequent basis. And you know, POTUS has the final decision on who he will and when he will be interviewed, so if he’s appearing it must be because he has a message he wants to get out to the American public.

I trust President Obama’s decision making process.

11. 58 GGail
    December 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Our POTUS is such an adorable Curious George :D

• December 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Ha! Yes, he’s always wondering about something. Thank goodness.

• 60 conlakappa
      December 10, 2011 at 12:29 am

Hmmm. Carlos Mencia recently said that the President looks like Curious George. In those hatefest rallies in the 2008 election, he was represented as Curious George. Not good imagery.

12. 61 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    December 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm

He wants to know what people go through to get to him. :lol: :lol: He is adorable.

13. 62 Jenny
    December 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm

This part B issue is ridiculous.

We really shouldn’t give it any attention

14. December 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Failed presidency my ass! I’ve seen the left give out gold stars and call people heroes just for saying stuff. Pres.Obama is fulfilling the wish list of many presidents before him and he’s supposed to call his presidency a failure? Pardon my language but, Fuck The Left.

15. December 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm

For the first time, I’m actually kinda/sorta looking forward to one of these damn GOP debates. I so wanna see the Mitt vs Newt “Rumble In The Jungle” (lucky for me though, I’m gonna be at a party).

I’ve been saying all along, that Mittens have yet to be really challenged in any of these debates. The other contenders just couldn’t cut it. The one time Perry tried he kinda made Mittens’ hair come undone for a brief moment, but then while Perry was imploding on his own immigration question, Mittens was able to put that hair back in place and continue with his “I Wanna Be President” Ken Doll act.

We kinda know that Mittens needs to “bring Newt down”, but do we also expect Newt to go all “guns ablazin'” on Mittens, or will it better for Newt to engage the others and ignore Mittens as if he’s just a fly on the wall. Plus, won’t the SS Newton Leroy G be taking it in from all sides tomorrow. It’s gonna be like a dog pile right?

Very interesting debate tomorrow, n’est–ce pa?

• December 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Mais oui! Looking forward to it too, Willard v Newt should be comedy gold.

• 78 utaustinliberal
        December 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Oh absolutely Chips. And the beautiful thing is that Newt will go to the gutter but use what passes for smart GOP speak and ream Romney out. Romney has more than met his match in Newt. As long as Newt doesn’t self-implode as he is wont to do.

• 79 donna dem 4 obama
          December 9, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I thought since Newton Leroy has such substantial leads practically everywhere that he would be cool tomorrow night and that Willard would go to the gutter. Either way this one seems to be building up to be must see tv. If Willard doesn’t take Newt out tomorrow I think we can stick a fork in him.

December 10, 2011 at 1:16 am

Saw Martin Bashir earlier today. He’s hysterical with the wry wit and perfect at very humorous snark. His new adjective is “Newtonian.” I’m still laughing. While, of course, feeling a little sick to my stomach.

• December 9, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Newt is an 11th commandment believer. He’ll make issue of the negative attacks against him and talk about Reagan. Any elbows Newt throws will be backhanded compliments and the like. Like when he brings up Reagan’s 11th Commandment he’d say something to the effect “but I wouldn’t expect Mitt to know about the 11th commandment because he was a registered independent in the time of Reagan/Bush while Newt was in congress working with Ronald Reagan”. He’ll mention how when Romney was running to the left of Ted Kennedy in 1994 for his Senate seat Newt was busy taking on Bill Clinton as house minority whip and than Speaker of the House.

• 82 conlakappa
            December 10, 2011 at 12:34 am

Sounds about right. And all said with that fully smarmy git look on his face. Given that Mittens has been compling oppo research on all possible foes for a few years now, I can only imagine how thick the dossier on The Newter.

December 10, 2011 at 1:20 am

SR – At first when I saw “Newt” and your 11th commandment reference, I was thinking – because I’m sleepy – “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife.” Hehehe. Then I realized it was Reagan’s 11th commandment.

December 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm

what time is that dog and pony show on?

• December 9, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Don’t know, but whatever the time 7pm, 8pm,9pm, 10pm, midnight, dawn, I’ll be too busy washing my hair or watching paint dry. I’m sure it’ll be more entertaining and intellectually stimulating than the GOP clown show. Besides, studies show that people loose more brain cells and destroy more neurons watching GOP debates than do individuals seeking thrills by huffing paint and paint thinner.

• December 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Tomorrow’s debate could decide the GOP primary, or at least go a very long way in deciding it. Everybody will have their knives out for Newt, Romney needs to bloody him up and knock him down and the others are all like crabs in a bucket, pulling him back to their level, thinking that then they’d be next in line to get the second look. If the field is successful to take Newt down, than Romney is the nominee, but if Newt is still standing and was seen as a fighter up against all the rest than he has to become the legit favorite (up until this point folks still expect him to self destruct).

If I was Newt I’d come out swinging, calling on Romney to say to his face what he has his SuperPAC and surrogates running around saying. See if Romney has the guts or tries to backpedal saying “I can’t control the SuperPAC that would be illegal, and surrogates are speaking for themselves” which would make him seem weak and weaselly.

• December 10, 2011 at 2:15 am

Newt’s not going to go in guns blazing – he’s already been trying to focus on President Obama, and he doesn’t want to raise any friendly fire against him. He’s going to do his nonsense of “don’t make us fight with each other” like he’s done at the last debates, and it will be to Mitt’s disadvantage. There’s a clip on this site of the 2008 campaign, where they all said that Mitt’s attacks were violating the Reagan “11th commandment” (blasphemy), and so I think that’s what Newt’s counting on. He’ll be come the underdog if Mitt keeps attacking, and Newt doesn’t have the organization or money to fight Mitt on that level. What he’s not counting on is that he’s telling a lot of lies and generalities to get the nomination, and sooner or later, he’ll have to come up with the evidence to back up his lies – and he won’t be able to do that.

16. 96 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    December 9, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Keith Humphries article brought tears in my eyes. I am going to tweet it and name names.

17. 97 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    December 9, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I googled Keith Humphireis looking for his Twitter account and TheObamadiary comes up on the links. Anyone know his Twitter account?

December 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm

That is one of the sweetest stories ever – the President goes through security to see what it was like. Like a kid in a candy store. Oh, my, I just love him.

P.S. Sorry for you Army fans tomorrow, but: Go, Navy!

19. 100 EDP4BHO
    December 9, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Funny video of Sinbad, discussing PBO and OBL :-D

20. December 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Well, well…look what we have here.~

FLASHBACK: After Oklahoma City Bombing, Gingrich Tried To Hold Disaster Relief Hostage To Spending Cuts
    By Scott Keyes on Dec 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Less than two months after Gingrich took over as House speaker in 1995, one of his first orders of business was to propose holding off on federal disaster aid unless it was accompanied by spending cuts elsewhere in the budget. When the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing occurred later that year, Gingrich held federal disaster aid hostage unless he received offsetting spending cuts, prompting the Philadelphia Daily News to write that “Even Newt Gingrich must lose a little sleep at the idea of making political hay out of the mini-civil war that struck Oklahoma City.”

Not all congressional spending proposals were held to this same standard though. As the Washington Post wrote in July 1996, Gingrich “instructed a House Appropriations panel to earmark an additional $15 million for water projects to boost reelection prospects of Republicans in California, Illinois, New Jersey and Washington state.”

Pork-barrel projects like these were deemed important enough to merit a special earmark, but Gingrich held disaster relief money hostage unless Congress and the president agreed to offsetting spending cuts elsewhere. Sixteen years later, Cantor took up the mantle and used the devastating Joplin tornado, which killed 159 people, to try to extract spending cuts from congressional Democrats.

December 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

This will be one to watch…in a “train wreck” sort of way…that idiot needs to go. Hope those folks in his district have been paying attention.

• December 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Trust me, the folks in the district he is going to be running in know who and what he is. He lostection of the old district by a large margin. He doesn’t stand a chance next year. The word is Boehner promesied him a boatload of mony for the campaign to have him switch districts. Boehner, I have a feeling, can’t stand the guy and knows he doesn’t stand a chance and wants to get rid of him.

22. December 9, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Gives new meaning to the phrase “obscenely wealthy,” doesn’t it?

The Walmart Heirs Have The Same Net Worth As The Bottom 30 Percent Of Americans
    By Pat Garofalo on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

Income inequality in the U.S. is currently the highest its been since the 1920s, with the 400 richest Americans (who are all billionaires) having as much wealth as the bottom 50 percent of Americans combined. And as it turns out, just one wealthy family has managed to amass a fortune equal to that of the combined net worth of the bottom 30 percent of Americans — the Waltons, heirs to the Walmart fortune, as Sylvia Allegretto, a labor economist at the Center on Wage and Employment Dynamics, found:

In 2007 (the most recent SCF) the cumulative wealth of the Forbes 400 was $1.54 trillion or roughly the same amount of wealth held by the entire bottom fifty percent of American families. This is a stunning statistic to be sure.

Upon closer inspection, the Forbes list reveals that six Waltons—all children (one daughter-in-law) of Sam or James “Bud” Walton the founders of Wal-Mart—were on the list. The combined worth of the Walton six was $69.7 billion in 2007—which equated to the total wealth of the entire bottom thirty percent! Not only have the Waltons gathered a fortune equal to that of the bottom third of the country, but they spend it lobbying to cut their own taxes.

~snip~

23. 112 rikyrah
    December 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

12-09-2011 4:24 PM
    Poll: Gingrich Leads Romney In Michigan
    Former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney may have strong ties to Michigan (the GOP Presidential candidate was born and grew up there, his father was Governor) but that hasn’t been enough to stave off the surging Newt Gingrich ahead of the state’s Feb. 28th Republican primary. Gingrich leads there in a new poll of the state conducted by GOP pollster Strategic National.

From MLive.com:

Gingrich was the choice of 30.75 percent of likely voters, passing Romney, the choice of 28.74 percent, according to the survey of Michigan voters likely to participate in the open primary, said John Yob, CEO of Strategic National, a Grand Rapids political consulting firm. “If Newt Gingrich wins Michigan, the contest will be over and he’ll win the nomination,” said Yob, who served as national political strategist for John McCain’s come-from-behind primary campaign in 2007 and 2008.

• December 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I was having a conversation with a coworker while on the reference desk. She completely supports PBO, thinks he’s done an amazing job, but was a Hilary supporter and can’t help but still be a little bitter. Then I dropped a little knowledge on her. Hilary made the mistake that she was the preordained nominee. She had the money, she had the network, and she had the name. That made her and her campaign staff complacent, overlooking the little things about Democratic primary rules. PBO was a community organizer. He didn’t have the money (at least at first), the network, and his name, well, a bit daffy as even he admits. But, and this is what rankles the die-hard Hilaryites, Obama and his team were better both tactically and strategically. They knew the rules inside and out, and knew they couldn’t afford to throw away any votes. That his message resonated was icing on the cake. Hilary fell because she just assumed she was going to be the nominee.

Romney is this campaign’s Hilary Clinton. He had the money, the network, and the name. He had already jumped ahead to the general election and was taking on PBO in his ads and appearances, neglecting the little issue of winning the primaries. Can he still pull it off? Maybe. But if he does, he’ll be so bruised by the battle — and so encumbered by having tacked so far to the right in order to eke out a victory — that he’ll be a lamb to the slaughter come next November. None of this crop of GOP candidates is observing St. Ronnie’s 11th commandment. Dems are used to battling each other and then coming together; the GOP hasn’t had such an experience since 1980.

• 114 bonkers
        December 10, 2011 at 1:00 am

“Hilary fell because she just assumed she was going to be the nominee.”

Going to take issue with you there, hombre. She fell because Stanley Ann’s son is a transformative figure who changed American politics forever by building the greatest bottom-up movement in possibly the world’s history, just in sheer numbers. It’s why Al Giordano predicted then Senator Obama winning even when Our Guy was distant in the polls – Al had never seen a Presidential candidate do it this way before, and knew what the result would be. There was nothing Hillary Clinton could do stop it, just as there’s nothing Repubs and their fluffers, i.e. the “mainstream media” can stop him this time around. The only question will be is if the Democrats can win back the House. Fired up, y’all!

December 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm

A totally exquisite read from Smartypants. http://immasmartypants.blogspot.com/2011/12/obamas-conciliatory-rhetoric-vs.html

This apparent paradox is one reason Obama’s political identity has eluded easy definition. On the one hand, you have a disciple of the radical community organizer Saul Alinsky turned ruthless Chicago politician. On the other hand, there is the conciliatory post-partisan idealist. The mistake here is in thinking of these two notions as opposing poles. In reality it’s all the same thing. Obama’s defining political trait is the belief that conciliatory rhetoric is a ruthless strategy.

• December 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

It is a great read and shows why so few people really understand this remarkable man. He truly is one of a kind.

December 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm

He truly is remarkable. Glad you liked that read…Smartpants is awesome. Always.

• December 9, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I wrote a comment along similar lines many moons ago on BWD’s site. It was so obvious to anyone not addled by Beltway logic that what PBO has been aiming for since he started running in 2007 was not to just win the Presidency, but to eviscerate the current destructive incarnation of the GOP as a functioning political force. The GOP base is the single greatest threat to US security, both domestic and foreign. The only way this country survives is if this extreme base is sidelined, and a coalition of the great pragmatic middle assembled to fix the country’s great structural flaws which, if not repaired, will see the nation decline. PBO is not just a brilliant politician; he is in every sense of the word a revolutionary, and a clear-eyed one at that.

• December 10, 2011 at 12:27 am

Funny how all the so-called ‘revolutionaries’ can’t see that. We are so lucky to be alive at this time and place to witness this greatness.

• 120 bonkers
            December 10, 2011 at 1:03 am

Heh. Just responded to you above, and see here you “get it.” I’d still argue though that Hillary didn’t stand a chance no matter what she did. Ready to go!

25. 121 halo
    December 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm

CHIPS DID YOU EVER POST WWWeek?

26. 124 donna dem 4 obama
    December 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

BTW-I rec’d two beautiful Christmas Cards this week. One from the White House with the Presidential Seal that says, “from our family to yours, may your holidays shine with the light of the seasons (signed by the entire Obama Family inculding Bo) and the other from The First Lady that says, “May the holiday season and the coming year be filled with joy for you and your family (signed by the entire Obama family including Bo). I will treasure these always.

• 125 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
      December 9, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I am happy for you Donna, you earned it. I am still waiting for the phone call you will get from PBO. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

• 126 symmetry11
      December 9, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I received the one from the First Lady today.

December 9, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I got that one! My kids were crazy! “Mom got a Christmas card from the President!” seriously. “Look, even Bo!!”

• 130 Obama Grandmama
        December 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I got mine too! Last year I read about everyone getting a Xmas card and I didn’t so felt sad. I did get a NYs photo so cheered up. When the card came in the mail this year I was elated but haven’t figured out why this year and not last year as I have been a donor and active supporter all along. My Obama scrapbook will be stocked with wonderful mementoes when I ever get around to making it.

27. 131 Don
    December 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Interesting clip from “60 Minutes,” one gets the impression that President Obama is not concerned about the length of time he’s in office, but that he gets the job done. The pettiness and political games that have enthralled and consumed past Presidents seem like minor annoyances to President Obama. I can only hope and pray that he chooses to suffer fools for four more years.

• December 9, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Love, love, love this vid. PBO has game. I love that slick, ‘relax, ease close, then nonchalantly put you arm around her shoulder, then pull her close and pucker up.’ Uber cute and likely works every time!! :mrgreen:

28. December 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Should be nailed on the faces of each and every white librul so that when they look at each other, they realize how fucked up they are and they will be without black support.

29. 139 donna dem 4 obama
    December 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

This President has quite a record!

30. December 9, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Humphreys’ article actually made me tear up. Someone actually wrote about black folks & didn’t question why we still supported the prez. He actually wrote about “loyalty” without calling black folks obots or apologists. It caused me to go read an article that Ta Nehisi Coates wrote a few months back about Malcom X, so I leave a few paragraphs:

[Ossie Davis famously eulogized Malcolm X as “our living, black manhood” and “our own black shining prince.” Only one man today could bear those twin honorifics: Barack Obama. Progressives who always enjoyed Malcolm’s thundering denunciations more than his moral appeals are unimpressed by that message. But among blacks, Obama’s moral appeals are warmly received, not because the listeners believe racism has been defeated, but because cutting off your son’s PlayStation speaks to something deep and American in black people—a belief that, by their own hand, they can be made better, they can be made anew.

Like Malcolm, Obama was a wanderer who found himself in the politics of the black community, who was rooted in a nationalist church that he ultimately outgrew. Like Malcolm’s, his speeches to black audiences are filled with exhortations to self-creation, and draw deeply from his own biography. In his memoir, Barack Obama cites Malcolm’s influence on his own life:

“His repeated acts of self-creation spoke to me; the blunt poetry of his words, his unadorned insistence on respect, promised a new and uncompromising order, martial in its discipline, forged through sheer force of will. All the other stuff, the talk of blue-eyed devils and apocalypse, was incidental to that program, I decided, religious baggage that Malcolm himself seemed to have safely abandoned toward the end of his life.” }

I love that line “our own black shining prince” Exactly the way I feel……

• 142 bonkers
      December 10, 2011 at 1:12 am

GREAT comment! Thanks for adding to the topic. I had never heard of Keith Humphreys either. but will be keeping him on my radar now. What an incredible article!

31. 143 donna dem 4 obama
    December 9, 2011 at 10:49 pm

A trip down memory lane

Four Days in Denver: Behind the Scenes at the 2008 DNC

32. 146 Ladyhawke
    December 9, 2011 at 11:05 pm

JACKALS, DO YOUR JOB – REPORT THE FACTS

I love the way Press Secretary Jay Carney started the briefing today.

===========================

1:56 P.M. EST

MR. CARNEY: Good afternoon. Welcome to the White House. Thanks for coming to your daily briefing. Before I get started, I just wanted to mention that I saw a report this morning that caught my attention for a couple reasons. Throughout this payroll tax cut debate, and through the debate over the American Jobs Act, one of the consistent points that Republicans have made — in fact, their number-one talking point about why they refuse to go along with asking millionaires and billionaires, the wealthiest Americans to pay a little bit more in order to put Americans back to work, get a tax cut for 160 million working Americans — is because they don’t want to hurt job creators. That’s their phrase; it’s what they go to every time they’re asked about it.

And it’s what you all write in your stories when you say, the President and Democrats support this surtax, or this way of paying for job-creating measures or tax cuts; Republicans say no because it will hurt small business. Well, one news organization decided to ask the leadership offices of the Republicans on the Hill whether or not — or just to give them an example of the small businesses that would be affected. And for three days they got nothing. And there’s a reason for that. Because, as the Treasury Department has done in its study, the simple fact of the matter is, is that less than 1 percent of all small businesses would be affected by this kind of request that millionaires and billionaires pay a little bit more. That’s just a fact.

So next time you write a story, or produce a spot that cites that opposition, I think a second sentence might be worth adding, which is that it’s bogus.

With that, I’ll take your questions. (Laughter.)

==============================

33. December 9, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Europeans pissed off at cameron.

European commentators have reacted with anger at Britain’s decision not to join a tax and budget pact to tackle the eurozone debt crisis, though some are not surprised by the UK, which has stood for so long on the sidelines of the European project.

Many Germans are outraged by British Prime Minister David Cameron’s move.

Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, head of the Germany’s FDP group, part of the European Liberals, goes as far as to say it was “a mistake to let the British into the EU”.

Britain must now renegotiate its relationship with the EU, he said. “Either they [the British] do it on their own initiative, or the EU refounds itself – without Great Britain. Switzerland is a model towards which Britain can turn itself.”

Others see the summit’s outcome as merely revealing faultlines and deep differences in attitudes towards Europe.

Writing in the Italian La Repubblica newspaper, Alessio Sgherza says that the summit “sank… because of the old but still unresolved division between… pro-European and Eurosceptic states”.

Meanwhile Daniel Cohen-Bendit, joint leader of the Greens in the European Parliament has labelled Mr Cameron “a weakling”.

German Christian Democrat MEP Elmar Brok, foreign policy spokesman for the centre-right in the European parliament, echoed his sentiment: “If you’re not ready to abide by the rules, you’d do better to keep your mouth shut.”

Yvan Duvant, writing to the BBC from Olargues, in France, says that as the UK is slowing down the move towards EU integration, it should leave the union altogether: “What’s the point of keeping this country in the EU? The British people should put pressure on their government to quit. Maybe the British would do better without the EU. Europe will definitely do better without the UK.”

‘Sabotage’

In Italy, too, some are angered by Britain’s failure to play ball. “There is an obstacle to Europe and it must be overcome. It’s not Germany,” Massimo Riva tells Repubblica TV. “Right now, the main obstacle is Britain.

“And this dirty game that the British are playing – wanting to stay with one foot in and one foot out of Europe – risks collapsing the entire system. London must be either in, or out. But they simply cannot sabotage everything.”

The country’s main financial daily, Il Sole 24 Ore, calls the move a “British bluff” which leaves the country isolated.

“The British manoeuvre [means] that London now finds itself outside, on the margins of Europe. The first European Council session in Brussels, which should have solidified and perhaps even resolved the euro crisis produced instead, after 11 hours of tense and at times dramatic talks, a deep division between member states.”

Seeing things from a different perspective, Luca Gaballo, writing in the RaiNews24 blog L’Europa Errante, calls this Cameron’s “Waterloo moment”.

“All of continental Europe goes forward, leaving Britain behind – towards a common fiscal policy, rules that will govern finance, work and business. Cameron finds himself alone.”

Though French President Nicolas Sarkozy could reportedly barely disguise his anger at “our British friend’s'” refusal to compromise, the French press were less surprised.

Le Figaro calls it Mr Cameron’s “dangerous game” and writes that Britain has merely honoured its reputation as a dissident nation, never intending to play along.

“No sooner did David Cameron cross the entrance to the council, on the occasion of the 8 December summit, than the sky over the negotiations darkened. He had one aim: to protect British interests.”

• 150 Ladyhawke
      December 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm

THERE IS NO REST FOR THE WEARY

The amount of issues that President Obama has on his plate at any given time is just astonishing. So of course, the issue of Europe’s financial problems was brought up today at the briefing. I thought Jay Carney did a nice job of explaining how President Obama views the situation.

================================

Q Back to Europe for a second. The President yesterday acknowledged the progress that Europeans are making toward a fiscal compact, but he made a point of saying there’s a shorter-term crisis in the markets that needs to be addressed. In the meantime, the European Central Bank seems to have signaled that it’s not yet willing to step in in a decisive way, in terms of shoring up the firewall you alluded to.

So I’m just wondering — the President sounded frustrated with that. Is he frustrated? Does he think the Europeans need to step up, not so much on the longer-term issue but on the immediate issue of restoring market confidence?

MR. CARNEY: Well, we’ve made clear, and he’s made clear, that he believes the Europeans need to act decisively and conclusively on — putting aside issues of the markets — but on a plan to resolve this debt crisis. And that includes ensuring that a firewall that is up to the task in constructed.

Having said that, the President understands that these are hard issues. He should know. And he knows that there are difficult decisions that European leaders have to make as they work through these issues and deal with the problem conclusively and decisively.

He does not imagine that any of this is easy. Leadership is not easy. Leadership in difficult economic times, with daunting economic challenges, is not easy. And the decisions that leaders make in those circumstances are often not very popular. He gets that; he knows it from experience.

But it needs to be done. And that’s why he has offered his advice and counsel, that’s why he is in regular contact with his European counterparts, that’s why Secretary Geithner has been in Europe this week and many times in the recent past, and is in regular consultation with his counterparts, as well as other officials across our government. And we’ll continue to work on this with our European allies and friends as they move towards a conclusive and decisive solution to this.

Q Has he seen evidence — as he said yesterday, the question is whether they’ll muster the political will to confront it. Has he seen evidence that they’re mustering political will?

MR. CARNEY: Well, I would simply say that we have seen European leaders take, over the course of the last weeks and months, some important steps. Progress has been made, and we continue to consult with them and advise them — or offer our advice, rather — and urge them to take the continued steps that are necessary to finish the job.

===================================

34. 151 bonkers
    December 10, 2011 at 1:17 am

Just getting caught up today…what’s with people complimenting John King?!? Dude does his “Game. Set. Match.” schtick, then immediately follows it with some “failure list” that is “long” regarding President Obama’s foreign policy?!? I’m serious…I literally have a hard time finding fault in almost any aspect of President Obama’s entire Administration, considering all the various factors stacked against him. The guy is truly unbelievable. John King can go suck an egg.

• December 10, 2011 at 3:34 am

I agree – I appreciate that some kind and partially truthful words came from John King’s lips, but I had a problem with the same sections. I’ll take the good stuff, and ignore the rest.

• December 10, 2011 at 9:07 am

He’s letting his GOP pals know that the polls don’t reflect well on this issue. He wants them to pivot to something else, (although I don’t see what they could jump on), when he says there are other issues to argue about on PBO’s foreign policy. Some day I like to see a documentary done with footage of these guys vaccilating in their coverage.

• 154 bonkers
          December 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Good point. It’s like King is advising them live on-air – telling Repubs what they should insanely start ripping on President Obama about, which King and his friends will happily amplify every single second of every single day…with no challenge whatsoever. Then they’ll call it “journalism.”

35. December 10, 2011 at 1:23 am

Bloomberg has just the headlines the Republicans desire-

Republicans unveil bill to extend payroll taxcut thru next year.

Dishonest title, non the less.

36. December 10, 2011 at 1:40 am

The U.S.-led military coalition in Afghanistan is seeking to enable a steady pace of troop withdrawals after September by bolstering the capabilities of the Afghan army and police.
    President Barack Obama’s top military adviser, Army General Martin Dempsey, said the U.S. military is reviewing how to proceed after the first stage of a drawdown is completed in September toward a NATO goal of handing over full responsibility for security throughout Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

37. December 10, 2011 at 2:21 am

BAGHDAD — Every other American soldier in Iraq, it seemed, was strapping duffel bags to the roofs of armored trucks, dismantling bases and joining the convoys hurtling south through the desert, toward the Kuwaiti border and the promise of home.

38. December 10, 2011 at 3:19 am

The blog article on the WHtweetup us great (one of meta’s retweets is included) http://impressoesdigitaiss.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-day-at-white-house-part-3.html?m=1 is one of the stories linked in the article. Great pictures of the WH decorations. So proud that the First Family have succeeded in making it the People’s House.

39. December 10, 2011 at 7:48 am

Buddy Roemer on Chris Hayes show- again. This is like the 4th time.
    Me thinks, Chris is voting for this guy!

• 164 utaustinliberal
      December 10, 2011 at 8:04 am

He and Maddow are apparently on some kick to make him as a 3rd party candidate. In my opinion that is an EPIC FAIL! He should go bitch at his own GOP party (turncoat that he is; he switched from Dem to GOP) who even though Huntsman was polling low, still allowed him in the debates. Now Roemer is trying to pretend that he is the champion and voice of OWS and is the champion of the middleclass. He also tried to pretend that as Gov. of Louisiana he had no clue that there were voter suppression tactics being heavily leveled at African-Americans but thank goodness that African-American Radio DJ from NY Esther Armah called him out on his BS. He then tried to walk it back and she didn’t let him get away with it.

• December 10, 2011 at 8:12 am

Now, he is saying that despite wall street reform and hcr law, that the President is owned by wall street.
        To which his panel is nailing him for. And yes, it’s his panel, because the Chris Hayes show has morphed into the buddy Roemer show!
        Unreal.

• 166 utaustinliberal
          December 10, 2011 at 8:33 am

When Roemer said that I thought my head would explode. Thank goodness Ben Jealous head of NAACP, Esther Armah, Victoria De Francesco Soto visiting Prof. at UT Austin, and even Chris Hayes schooled him on that line of BS. Roemer is tethered to Americans Elect & wants to cast PBO as a servant of Wall Street. Roemer also doesn’t seem to understand how the 3 branches of Govt. work. He doesn’t realize that Congress not President Obama makes laws. The blatant ignorance!

• December 10, 2011 at 8:20 am

Does buddy Roemer know that lobbyists ate not allowed in the WH?
        Chris Hayes should know, his wife is a lawyer there. Or, he is woefully ignorant!

40. December 10, 2011 at 8:15 am

This is interesting- Jennifer granholm snd al gore on current tv at 11, for debate recap.

Only problem is , cent is on as well!

December 10, 2011 at 8:43 am

Buddy Roemer is officially more insane than Ron Paul. Just said on Up With Chris that it is PBO’s fault that goods have been made in China for years and not in America. Wow. This is news to me. Apparently PBO has been President for over 30 years. GOP Moron.

December 10, 2011 at 8:47 am

I’ve notice this Romer guy talks out of both side of his mouth, except he is a Republican true and true cause he blames Obama for everything.

• 173 Janelle
        December 10, 2011 at 8:56 am

I caught about 5 minutes of it, and Romer is a Republican to the core and there is no denying it. I don’t care what Chris Hayes or Rachel Maddow tries to do….actually the more he speaks, the more you know this America Elect is nothing more than Republicans. Are people really fooled by this Romer guy? I guess if you watch Hayes/Maddow then folks trust their judgment. But Buddy Romer is transparent to me after a few minutes. I also feel they are putting Elizabeth Warren on such a pedestal, that when she gets to the Senate and has to compromise on an issue for the benefit of her state, idealistic supporters will call her a sellout with a quickness.

• December 10, 2011 at 8:59 am

Lies at the drop of a hat. Esther, (never seen her before today) called him out every time. He is a farce, fraud.

42. December 10, 2011 at 9:02 am

Up With Chris, interesting panel. Roemer just seemed out of his league. His talking points fell short.

43. 176 Linda
    December 10, 2011 at 9:03 am

Was this posted yet ?

44. 179 Linda
    December 10, 2011 at 9:22 am

This clip has Chris Christie warning Republicans not to underestimate President Obama over the next year.

• 180 conlakappa
      December 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm

How sad is the state of things when this guy could be a sage or something? And that his warning would be about what they should have noticed all along.

45. December 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

Russia is having it’s Arab spring, Putin blames Clinton for sowing seeds of discord.
    Lol!

• December 10, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Is the Kremlin hedging its bets? Or just trying to placate the protesters?

NTV’s prime time bulletin kicked off by calling Saturday the day of “white ribbons” – reference to ribbons worn as a symbol of fairness by many attending rallies in Russia.

Presenter Alexei Pivovarov continued with words that it would be hard to imagine a news anchor on one of Russia’s state-controlled TV stations uttering even a few days ago: “Today Moscow has been the scene of perhaps the most massive rally in decades.

“Tens of thousands of people who do not agree with the results of the recent parliamentary election came to Moscow’s Bolotnaya Square.

“In the protesters’ opinion, the election results have been rigged in favour of [the ruling party] United Russia and should be cancelled, and central electoral commission head Vladimir Churov should be sacked.”

The correspondent’s report continued in the same, positive vein and included slow sweeping panoramic shots of the demonstration and footage from different angles that appeared intended to give an impression of its massive scale.

46. 183 auni
    December 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Loved the pictures of the White House. The question of why the table in the State Dining Room wasn’t set is probably answered by the fact that they are having lots of dinners there during the Christmas season and it would just be too time consuming to reset it for the tours–just my idea. Here is something that will inflame those who get their hair on fire regularly by Huffpo. They posted pictures of the Jewish celebration at the White House. Included was the question “Are they trying too hard?” because of the blue in Michell’s dress and the blue of the men’s ties. Can never leave the snark alone can they?

• 184 conlakappa
      December 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm

By the same people you just know have tacky Christmas ties and scarves, right? No one ever questions their sartorial choices but woe betide any choices made by this President/representatives of his administration. ’cause, like, it’s never been done in the history of whatever.

• December 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Of course, blue is the color of the Virgin Mary, so maybe they were secretly insulting their guests! Ugh, the PL makes my brain ache.