Dec

rise and shine

Full segment here

MarketWatch: The number of Americans who filed requests for jobless benefits fell by 19,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 366,000, putting claims at the lowest level since May 2008.

…. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch had projected that claims would rise to 390,000 in the week ended Dec. 10.

Jobless claims have fallen below 400,000 – a level historically associated with an improving labor market – in five of the past six weeks.

More here

USA Today: Nearly 2 million home care workers could qualify for federal wage and overtime protections under a rule being proposed today by the Obama administration.

The effort – the 18th initiative in Obama’s “We Can’t Wait” campaign against Congress – would overcome legislative inertia and a 2007 Supreme Court ruling that upheld home care workers’ exclusion from wage-and-hour standards.

More here

TPM: … the chart Democrats really, really, really don’t want Republican primary voters to see.

More here

Morning everyone, more soon ;-)

151 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. December 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

Good morning, good folks!

Although Pete Souza is set to release the new First Family photo at noon EAstern, I see on twitter that the stupid Today Show is scooping it:

Well, get ready, TODville. This photo is STUNNING. Bling, bling, bling, bling. OMG, WOWzers. Flutter, flutter.

2. 4 halo
    December 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

PETE SOUZA! 1ST

• 5 dotster3
      December 15, 2011 at 9:29 am

And stupid Today Show’s Natalie Morales has obviously never heard of Pete SOUZA, calling him Pete SOZA. Irritating when those who should know, don’t.

• December 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

I noticed that too Dotster, I wondered if I’d been pronouncing his name wrong all this time! Jeez, can these people get anything right?

• 8 JoJothecat
        December 15, 2011 at 10:47 am

I muted the video and watched the picture. I can’t stand any of those morning and evening msm shows. They want to MAKE news instead of reporting it….every television news outlet should have had the President’s entire speech at Ft Bragg on yesterday during the main viewing hours. We live in such a racist, hateful time but fortunately there are many more GOOD, HONEST, RESPECTFUL people who can see what the media is about and LOVES, APPRECIATES, and TRUST this president and the msm slobs hate it! They are all about bringing people down….but they can never bring down this amazing family. It just makes them stronger.

December 15, 2011 at 10:18 am

I love that Obama family picture. I mean I love it, it is beautiful.

• 10 Obama Grandmama
        December 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I received last year’s color family photo in the mail as a New Year’s gift in January. I hope I get this year’s photo too. I framed last years and had it on my entry table and my kids complained that none of their photos were in my livingroom. I told them they had three other rooms in my house that their photos were in. It seems to be a joke with my adult kids.

• 11 Mel
      December 15, 2011 at 11:49 am

Souza is portuges in Spanish is pronaunse Sosa!!!!! no harm done.

3. 12 halo
    December 15, 2011 at 8:48 am

Weekly unemployment filings fall to 366,000, a 3-year low.
    holy moly!

4. December 15, 2011 at 8:50 am
    • 15 lovingandlaughing
      December 15, 2011 at 8:52 am

Ya-Whooooooooo! Great news!

December 15, 2011 at 8:56 am

But but but Paul Krugman and bobswern told me that America’s economy is dooomed FOREVAH!

• December 15, 2011 at 8:58 am

Correction Hopefruit, Krugman and the rest of the PUMAs hope the economy is doomed …. at least until the end of PBO’s eight years ;-)

Morning you!

• December 15, 2011 at 11:28 am

This is why I quit following Robert Reich–his constant refrain that we were not just headed for a double-dip recession but an all out Depression. He appears to be suffering from extreme confirmation bias as he only looks for indicators that mirror those preceding the Great Depression. Needy people who hate that the President doesn’t listen to them.

December 15, 2011 at 11:41 am

And it’s a shame because I think I recall that Reich – who was hired by Bill Clinton – came strongly out in favor of President Obama during the election (as some other Clintonistas did). Since then – not so much of a help with his comments.

• 21 utaustinliberal
          December 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I quit following him too. Life is too short for PL crap.

• December 15, 2011 at 9:27 am

YES. TAKE THAT REPUBLICANS. This is a reminder that the economy was in the toilet BEFORE President Obama took office.

5. 23 rikyrah
    December 15, 2011 at 8:54 am

Good Morning, Chipsticks :)

• December 15, 2011 at 8:58 am

Morrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrning rikyrah!!! ;-)

• 25 prettyfoot58
        December 15, 2011 at 9:02 am

Goooooood Morning Chipsssssss….and the TOD fam…..feeling great this morning….i watched the President’s speak to the troops at Fort Bragg….what an awesome speech…what an awesome President he is….the First Lady….there are no words to describe how i feel about them…

Have s Splendiferous DAY…

6. 28 rikyrah
    December 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

Democrats’ assaults taking toll on Mitt Romney

Democrats have been pounding Mitt Romney relentlessly for months, issuing Web videos, press releases, and a smattering of paid ads belittling, sometimes with humor, the Republican presidential candidate as a flip-flopping shape-shifter and cold-blooded former corporate raider. With Romney sinking and Newt Gingrich rising in recent polls, the Democrats believe their efforts are hobbling the candidate they evidently fear most in a general election.

None of the other Republicans has attracted anywhere near the attention Romney has from the Democratic National Committee and allied organizations.

The steady drip-drip of the partisan assaults has gone on for months. It started when Romney was the default front-runner and continued as one flawed GOP candidate after another challenged or eclipsed him briefly in polls before crashing into single digits. Consistently in the polling, Romney has been unable to exceed 25 percent, which has allowed more conservative candidates to muster their challenges.

7. 30 rikyrah
    December 15, 2011 at 8:56 am

Mitt Romney writes open letter to Obama, expresses ‘disgrace’
    The State Column | Staff | Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney called President Barack Obama’s handling of the U.S. economy a “disgrace” in an open letter he wrote to Mr. Obama Wednesday, published in The Fayetteville Observer.

Mr. Romney wrote the letter prior to the president’s visit to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Wednesday to greet troops that are returning from Iraq.

Wednesday will be Mr. Obama’s first trip to Fort Bragg as president. The president is slated to discuss the troop withdrawal from Iraq. Earlier this week, he met with Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki at the White House to discuss U.S.-Iraq relations going forward.

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/mitt-romney-writes-open-letter-to-obama-expresses-disgrace/#ixzz1gbyJWEZi

8. 31 a4alice
    December 15, 2011 at 9:05 am

OK so let me get this right you guys yesterday I left twitter all abuzz with the great news that 2.5 mill young adults were benefitting from PBO’s health care plan. then fort bragg and the official end of the war all here at TOD. fabulous day.

Meanwhile (I later found out) that emoprogs were all a tither on the tweets about Reid “caving” (stupid term) regarding the payroll tax cut. Do I have this right? What else was he supposed to do? it was tied to the keystone pipeline which I think I’ve heard PBO said he’d veto.

I just want to make sure I have this correctly because I am going to bet that the next Christmas party I attend I will have some “dissapointed dem” friends talking about this and I want to be prepared.

thanks

• 32 cuphalffull
      December 15, 2011 at 10:05 am

I am watching the film “Billionaire’s Tea Party”. I plan to show it to all my acquaintances that have made it so much easier for the propagandists and those who abuse their wealth and power to have their influence over the process of governing. 2012 will be the year of standing up to fear and lies for me where ever they are promulgated and whoever defends them.

• December 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

Reid and the other Democrats have decided to not use the surtax to pay for the payroll tax cut. Reid stood his ground on The Keystone issue so he should be commended for that. I don’t get the poutrage over the surtax – it was a long shot anyway. GOP will shoot themselves in the face before they all agree to raise tax on rich. If Reid can find another way to fund the payroll tax cut then I say let him because that is what is most important right now. Not the surtax.

9. 35 rikyrah
    December 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

Rick Perry’s Presidential Candidacy a Bitter Pill for Texans
    Dec 15, 2011 1:27 AM EST

All the governor’s “oops” moments have again saddled his state with unwanted stereotypes, says Evan Smith.

When I’m asked these days about the status of Rick Perry’s presidential campaign, I’ve taken to whistling that song from Spamalot: “No, he’s not yet dead…” Count me alongside John Heilemann in the small group of those who believe the Texas governor still has a route to the GOP nomination—though it’s decidedly narrow, more farm-to-market road than interstate.

But let’s accept and acknowledge the reality of things at the moment: Despite a record seemingly tailor-made for an election about the economy and an ideological disposition that was Tea Party before Tea Party was cool, Perry has vastly underperformed the expectations of even his most ardent critics, who gritted their teeth while admitting, back in August, that he could be the one. Thursday night’s debate in Iowa is one of the last of his seemingly endless clichéd moments of truth—do or die, make or break, etc. The climb back into the top tier will be seriously uphill.

What the hell happened? What does it mean for him? And what does it mean for Texas?

10. 36 Vero804
    December 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

Morning. Gonna be a long day… CNN reporting that “Dems caved!” regarding the payroll tax holiday issue. Obnoxious.

11. December 15, 2011 at 9:20 am

The effort — the 18th initiative in Obama’s “We Can’t Wait” campaign against Congress — would overcome legislative inertia and a 2007 Supreme Court ruling that upheld home care workers’ exclusion from wage-and-hour standards.

More here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2011-12-14/obama-home-care-workers-minimum-wage-overtime/51932040/1

• 42 utaustinliberal
      December 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm

While the emoprogs and PL are busy making noise like empty barrels, PBO is actually doing something to help Americans and not whining incessantly.

12. 43 cat48
    December 15, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hi everyone, There was an Evangelical on ED last nite that was a real “testimonial” for the prez although I don’t think he meant to be. He said that Evangelicals wanted someone “honest” to go up against Obama b/c Obama told everyone what he would do during the campaign & when he got into office; he tried his best to do it”.

Wow, a Reverend no less, from the GOP describing our president that way sorta got to me. It’s worth checking out. I’ll try to leave a link……..

• 44 dotster3
      December 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

I want religion out of all of politics. For a million reasons.

• December 15, 2011 at 9:38 am

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000!

• 46 Lorraine
        December 15, 2011 at 10:05 am

Isaiah 9:6

December 15, 2011 at 10:13 am

Lorraine we love you but I’m not sure why you keep posting scripture here – this is a political blogsite, not a bible group.

• 48 dotster3
            December 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

Thank you, hopefruit2. So agree.

• 49 edp4bho
            December 15, 2011 at 11:43 am

Where’s Lorraine’s freedom of speech? She’s not hurting anyone and not trying to convert. It’s just her thoughts and feelings. You guys are starting to sound like the flip side of the evangelicals.

• 50 nospin
            December 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm

that is seriously offensive to me hopefruit2. There are Christians and other religious groups who also participate in politics.

I don’t see an issue with Lorraine sharing her faith just like others share whatever they want on this site. It is an open thread afterall.
            If you don’t like it, scroll past it.

If that is the case and both you and dodster oppose this, why not also ask folks not to light candles for POTUS or say a prayer for the family.

Lorraine – until Chips says don’t post a bible verse, keep doing it. I appreciate it.

• December 15, 2011 at 10:56 am

@ dotster3 X’S A GAZILLION!

• December 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

That guy is a santorum man despite his ‘praise’ for obama.

• 53 L3
      December 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I saw that and I thought the same thing. He thinks the President is honest and a man of his word and that Newt and Mitt are the complete opposite and cannot compete on a level playing field with PBO. l was really enjoying his honesty and though he clearly does not agree with PBO he did not trash him and seems to respect him but when he said he would consider Rick Santorum and Michelle Bachman he lost me.

13. 54 Jessica
    December 15, 2011 at 9:22 am

Love the official portrait especially Sasha sitting on Barack’s lap and all the hand holding.

• 55 HZ
      December 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

Good Norming Jessica. Would you please address the President properly especially when you it is pertaining to him in this official role. Yes, he is Sasha’s father, but I am sure that she is not permitted to call him Barack.

Please , that should be ‘sitting on her father’s lap or sitting on President Obama’s lap. Thank you so much. Love you much.HZ

• 56 Jessica
        December 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

Jeez my bad. Am I only allowed to call Mrs. Obama FLOTUS, never Michelle or Miche (which people do all the time in an endearing way).

I only call him Barack when he’s with his family because I don’t see him as the President in that moment just as a dad and husband.

• 57 collegekay
          December 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

I don’t get that. With all due respect, we are family on this blog and we refer to the Pres’ and Miche’ in different ways at different times. I don’t really see the big deal.

• 58 HZ
          December 15, 2011 at 11:54 am

Jessica, I am not being accusatory in my comment, however, I am being respectful to the President of the United States. And for the record, Mrs. Obama, our First Lady was not elected President of the United States.

Plain and simple, you stated that “love the official portrait”, so why not address him in an official manner. I am not here to cause trouble for Chipsticks or anyone, but I will hope that we all can respect the President by addressing him in the appropriate manner.

That was all that I am saying. I am not here to engage in a war on words or to hurt anyone feelings, but I will speak with truth. Thank you and have a very wonderful day.HZ

• 59 Jessica
        December 15, 2011 at 10:35 am

What about ‘Prez’? Is that too slangish for you?

December 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

Thank you HZ. I wanted to say the say thing but was not able to articulate it in the appropriate manner as you did.

• 63 Obama Grandmama
        December 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I remember right after the election when we all had called then Senator Barack Obama both Obama or Barack for months maybe even years during the whole two year campaign. We had a really hard time on OFA adapting to calling what seemed like a family member President Obama. Some demanded it as a passage of respect. It was hard to transition to it for many. We all love our President here and no one is trying to disrespect him. I hope we will not be so politically correct that we become less tolerant of others’ choices. What I object to is calling him names and lying about him.
        I was in a teaching seminar once where the person in charge used the introduction of the members present as a teaching tool. The person in charge asked everyone that had had their name mispronounced or misspelled at some point in their life and it bothered them to line up on one side of the room and those that had had their name misprounced or misspelled also at some point in their life and it did not bother them to line up on the other side of the room. It ended up that the room had divided itself exactly in half. The facilitator said he had done this numerous times and the result was always a very near 50/50 split.
        That experiment has stuck with me and I see this issue as one that fits that mold in that some are very bothered by it whereas others are not. This is not an issue that deserves serious attention. We need to agree to be accepting of others ways.

• December 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm

@Obama Grandmama: CLAP, CLAP, CLAP! :-) :-) :-)

• 65 nospin
          December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

“We all love our President here and no one is trying to disrespect him. I hope we will not be so politically correct that we become less tolerant of others’ choices. What I object to is calling him names and lying about him.”

well said Obama Grandmama.

• 67 Vicky
          December 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Completely agree. We may think of him-who-shall-not-be-named-because-somebody-somewhere-MIGHT-be-offended differently due to a number of variables. But to chastise one another is petty. And likely to discourage lurkers from participating, Unless we have some directions posted listing acceptable terminology. No disrespect intended. I’m sorry you’ve been treated so dismissively, Jessica. It is obvious from your “tone” that you respect HIM. Thank you for your appreciation of the demeanor of that loving portrait.

• 68 Cha
      December 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, that’s the way a family portrait should be and you might know the Obamas would do it! We got each other!~

14. 69 carolyn
    December 15, 2011 at 9:24 am

That interview with Col. Wilkerson was spectacular! He said what needs to be said, and admitted that the Republicans’ griping is only because of hatred for the President. Someone said it out loud, what needed to be said. The President has done all the heavy lifting with very little help and only kicks from a large number. I only admire and respect him more, and I think millions of others are seeing that too. If it weren’t for him, we would be a third world country with no major industry at all. I think saving the auto industry may be the biggest thing that was done. How many millions of jobs rely on that industry…..too many to count. I love that Twelve Days song, because it puts in easy to remember format the accomplishments. Go MA OFA!!!

15. December 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

that really was a good segment by Maddow last night on the end of the war. I hope you will post the entire segment, Chipsticks.

16. December 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

Ann Curry is such an ass. What does she mean “he (Pete) got them to smile in such a nice way.”??? Does she not realize who she’s talking about? When have the Obama’s not been congenial, charming or smiling nicely? :roll:
    Ps- forgive me for starting the day off like this. I just find everything from the MSM highly suspect.

• December 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

Yeah Lisa, it was such a stupid comment by her! Like the Obama children are performing seals who rarely smile :roll:

• 75 HZ
        December 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

Goodmorning Chipsticks. Thank you so much for that comment. Also thanks to Lisa. I am a little sensitive this morning. Love you, Chips.HZ

• December 15, 2011 at 11:10 am

Good morning, Chips and TOD family. Great mish mash. I agree with you about Ann Curry’s comment. That was the most stupid comment ever when we have a President known for his mega-watt smile and a first lady who’s always smiling as well. Just stupid as if she had to reach to find something nice to say. They are all republican shills.

But wow does our first family look beautiful. They are family values and the GOP hates it.

• 77 dotster3
      December 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

I am still fuming about the Today Show, most watched morning show with millions of viewers, inviting the bitter old man, John McCain, as their only guest to comment on the end of the Iraq War. And Lauer agreed with all his criticisms. There was not one mention or photo or vid from the President of the United States, the commander in chief, appearing at Ft. Bragg, troops cheering. And I noticed in our local paper there was only a tiny 2 paragraph snippet on pg. 4 about Obama’s momentous appearance. It’s really hard to break through this media firewall and get the truth out there when they refuse to report facts, truth, reality and anything positive on Obama, always try to report everything in a negative light or keep his events hidden from view completely. Highly disturbing. More local media please—it seems to be the only remedy.

• 78 dotster3
        December 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

I might add the obvious—-it’s an effort to prevent President Obama from getting any credit for ending the war, to take it off the table as a campaign issue, a promise made, a promise kept.

• 79 dotster3
          December 15, 2011 at 10:04 am

Now I see, in response to my angry email :), Today has added a 2 second snippet from Ft. Bragg at the news break of the 2nd hour when everyone has left for work.

• 80 prettyfoot58
            December 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

doster…

i understand your frustation and annoyance…but it is what they do…we have to continue to push back as you did…

whenever i see or hear this tyoe of misinformation it gives me inspiration to spread the truth and make another donation…

as the President saysssss….

Presssssssssss ON!!

• 81 Lorraine
        December 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

Bitter old man who (and I honor his service to our Country) loss the election and is struggling to remain relevant as the era of peace and prosperity returns to our beloved Country under the leadership of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joseph Biden.

• 82 lexusv
      December 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

I agree wholeheartedly! I called her the same dam thing, plus a coupla you know what LOLOL Not a hard task to do for anyone with a camera

• December 15, 2011 at 11:45 am

When dealing with the Turtle and the Orange guy but that’s understandable.

17. December 15, 2011 at 9:35 am

I’m in bit of a bad mood today so I’ll not stick around here much today but Sen Wyden really pissed me off with his working with Rep Ryan to legitimize his medicare voucher deal. Glenn Greenwald is everything we say about him here and more – but he was right about one thing, the Dem Senate is playing us. They have a revolving hero/villain where “one brave Democrat” can make a big stand on an issue while the others sell us out, and then that brave Dem will join the villain pool on another issue where villain from the former issue now plays Quixotic hero of the day. Wyden was strong in standing up for the recent internet bill, while Franken a usual good guy was in complete sell out mode. Now Wyden is selling out medicare, bedding down with Paul freaking Ryan – but you can bet this revolving hero/villain con the senate GOP have makes him safe from any primary challenge because he’ll run on “Hey, remember how progressive I was during the internet fight?”. Franken will do the same thing, he’ll point to one issue he hogged camera time on and how that makes him a good Democrat.

I’m just so damn tired of it all.

• December 15, 2011 at 9:38 am

I know! That takes the Ryan plan off the table for a campaign issue. Wyden, is all about Wyden.

• 87 Brian
      December 15, 2011 at 9:43 am

Actually I find that when I’m in “a bit of a bad mood.” this is the BEST place to stick around.

• 88 prettyfoot58
        December 15, 2011 at 11:00 am

hey Brian…

a big Dittooooooo…

St Roscoe…

do not fret…there is not much purity in politics as i know you are aware…
        for the some of the Dems….we peeped their card during the Health Care Debate…and the time following the passage….some literally ran from the issue…even now you do not hear many of them standing proudly behind it…or the President…for that matter…

so don’t go….your insight and commentary will be needed….

Pressssssssssss ON!

December 15, 2011 at 9:44 am

If you look at Wyden’s Wiki entry, you will find that he’s not as “liberal” as he pretends to be.

For example:
      //Wyden is critical of the estate tax, which he feels is inefficient, and has voted repeatedly to abolish it. He has also voted with Republicans to lower the capital gains tax, to encourage the study of the flat tax, and to require a 3/5 majority to raise taxes.
      Wyden supports lower corporate taxes and was generally supportive of the draft proposal for deficit reduction that was released by the chairmen of the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform in November 2010.[32]//

• December 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

Wyden is still smarting that PBO didn’t go GAGA over his Free Choice Act voucher idea.

• 91 ChristiMtl
      December 15, 2011 at 10:02 am

It’s difficult NOT to be in a bad mood this morning….siding with the radical right to help them look ”reasonable”. It’s disgusting.

But hey, someone is endorsing this:

@newtgingrich Newt Gingrich
      Ron Wyden and Paul Ryan deserve credit for having the courage to work across party lines on a very difficult large challenge

No kidding.

Yea some courage

• December 15, 2011 at 11:03 am

This is not some game by the Democrats. The left creates this hero/villain con by not paying attention to a politicians ENTIRE agenda and labeling him/her a hero based on one act or one speech or one statement. They do it all the time. Call Pres.Obama a villain on women’s issues just because of his Plan b decision and completely ignore his record on women’s rights. They held Weiner on a pedestal and ignored his near very hawkish stance on Palestine.

• December 15, 2011 at 11:14 am

Saintroscoe, I feel exactly the same way. I tweeted Wyden and I’m going to call his office as well. These jealous Dems keep trying to undercut our President and they need to pay for it. Will also call and tweet the DSCC and tell them they will not get one penny from me it they don’t take Wyden to the woodshed over this. These jealous Dem cowards are helping the GOP mess over this country. Pres Obama should still campaign against this plan, I don’t care that a Dem sponsors it. They don’t give a damn abt going against him.

I’m so mad about this.

18. 94 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    December 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

TIS SO WONDERFUL NOT HAVING A (SWAGGERING, BULLY) PRESIDENT IN THE WHITE HOUSE! GOD BLESS OUR ALWAYS THINKING AND INTELLIGENT PRESIDENT WHO LOVES HUMANITY!

19. December 15, 2011 at 9:39 am

dnc should use wilkerson’s interview as an ad running in all swing states.

20. December 15, 2011 at 9:41 am

Empire manufacturing index at highest point since May.
    Any winder the Republicans are trying to slow down the Economy?
    Like say, a government shutdown?
    Albeit, the Market is up today, so the investors must not think a government shutdown will happen!

21. 97 Bill
    December 15, 2011 at 9:44 am

Tom Brokaw just told Chuck Todd he did not see any enthusiasm for President Obama. He must not have watched the reception PBO received at Fort Bragg yesterday. The MSM is either out of touch or have an agenda of their own.

December 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

You say either or, I say Both.

• 99 dotster3
      December 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

They have an agenda, facts or photos of Obama events be damned. If they repeat that theme often enough, like dozens of times per day, they believe it will become reality. The reporters/anchors seek out one Obama grumbler to cite and ignore the 100’s of enthusiastic supporters over there. Sick.

• 101 Linda
      December 15, 2011 at 10:05 am

Maybe he should poke his head out the window of his limousine once in a while….and see what is going on around him.

He is an elitist snob

• 102 utaustinliberal
        December 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm

100% concur. He’s retired and I wish he would stay that way and just STFU because he adds nothing worthwhile to any conversation.

• 103 JoJothecat
      December 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

Nobody cares what Tom GOP-water-carrier Broke-down has to say. They are in their own media bubble. I wish Rev Al could play those statements on a split screen showing how enthusiastic folks are when they are around this president – yesterday at Ft Bragg, last week in KS, during the summer, in Australia, Ireland, etc., to these arses look like fools.

December 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

Jessica only his wife, adult relatives, or close friends call him “Barack” on a regular basis. His children do not call him that, and the First Lady is sometimes addressed appropriately by her first name, but the Presidents are not typically called by their first name.

Sasha sitting on “Barack’s” lap makes it sound like he’s her equal or boyfriend or such.

• December 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Hopefruit2, thanks for saying what I was trying to say. I am out now. Not here for trouble. Never will do that to Chipsticks, or myself and for sure anyone in this TOD family. There is too much riding on this election and in so many lives. Time is precious, but I will never sit and not speak out when I think that someone like the President of the United States is addressed in appropriately. Plain and simple. Everyone have a wonderful day. Love and (((((((Hugs))))))HZ

December 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

Ooops. forgive me JoJo, this reply was not meant for you. The reply I meant for you was:

LOL! “Tom Broke-down!”

• 107 Cha
        December 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm

That would be great tv! Maybe someone could Tweet that to Rev Al? There would be neverending material.

• 108 Cha
      December 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Tom Brokaw and his old mediawhore self needs to get his head out of his ass. They have their own agenda. Wouldn’t hurt to tweet ‘im though.

22. December 15, 2011 at 9:44 am

Good morning, Chips:
    Before leaving out early today to gratefully hand out free clothing , listening ear, warm smile to people near my place of worship. And hopefully, end up at the OFA site in lower NY for a festive Holiday Gift Drive. I just had to thank you for yesterday. The heart felt speeches by both our President and First Lady emotionally did a number on me.
    And did she not wear that suit. I love to see how our President checks her out while she is speaking (he can’t help himself)….and the love and respect they show between each other. I was blessed to experience that “look of love” and let me share with S.O.S.(Season of Sisterhood), there is nothing in Tiffanys that can compare. It makes you blush, hold hands, touch even more. But most of all, you have to share that love with everyone you come in contact with because it is so powerful.

Have a marvelous, blessed day……everyone!

23. December 15, 2011 at 9:54 am

Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Year Is…PRAGMATIC

(NEWSER) – Merriam-Webster’s word of the year—pragmatic—may not be exciting, but at least it’s slightly less depressing than last year’s word, austerity. The editors chose the word because it was looked up so often on its online dictionary, particularly before August’s debt ceiling vote and during the congressional supercommittee’s meetings. For those who didn’t get around to looking it up, the adjective means practical and logical,

Read More Here:

24. December 15, 2011 at 9:57 am

Debate on fox tonite, Neil cavuto moderates.
    Good grief!

25. December 15, 2011 at 10:02 am

LaHood, Emanuel, Quinn announcing grant in Chicago
    By Lynn Sweet on December 14, 2011 8:00 PM | No Comments
    WASHINGTON–Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood joins Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Gov. Pat Quinn on Thursday Thursday afternoon to hand out federal funding for public transit at the Logan Square Blue Line stop, 2620 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    In October, LaHood was in Chicago with Emanuel and Quinn (plus Democrats Sen. Dick Durbin, Rep. Bobby Rush and Rep. Dan Lipinski) to launch the “Englewood Flyover” high speed rail project with a $126 million grant from DOT’s high-speed intercity passenger rail program.

26. December 15, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hmmm…..

US drone in Iran could be fake, according to a news report (VIDEO)
    Kyle KimDecember 14, 2011 22:24

The fallen US drone that is purportedly in the hands of Iran may be fake, USA Today quoted an anonymous former-Pentagon official saying. Not only is the unmanned aerial vehicle the wrong color, but the welds running across the wing joints do not conform to the stealth design that helps avoid radar detection, the ex-Pentagon official said based on Iran’s released footage of the US drone.

Iran announced earlier this week its military brought down a CIA-operated stealth drone by hacking into it and aired video footage of the fallen unmanned plane.

~snip~

27. December 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

Google donates $11.5M to fight modern slavery
    Kyle KimDecember 14, 2011 12:42

Google announced Wednesday that it will be giving $11.5 million in grants to 10 organizations that fight modern-day slavery and human trafficking. “Many people are surprised to learn there are more people trapped in slavery today than any time in history,” said Jacquelline Fuller, Google’s director of charitable giving. “The good news is that there are solutions. Google is supporting organizations that have a proven track record and a plan to make a difference at scale.”

The grants will free more than 12,000 people from modern-day slavery and prevent millions more from victimization, the Internet company said. Recipients include International Justice Mission, BBC World Service Trust and Not For Sale. The UN pegs 12 million to 27 million modern-day slaves exist today.

~snip~

28. December 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

Bernanke tells lawmakers ‘no euro bailout’
    By Agence France-Presse
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011

WASHINGTON — US Federal Reserve chief Ben Bernanke told Republican lawmakers Wednesday that he cannot and will not bailout struggling European economies, senators at the meeting said. Amid suspicions that Fed funds may be used to help debt-ridden eurozone countries, leading Republican Lindsay Graham said Bernanke assured senators “he doesn’t have the intention or the authority to do that.” But Bernanke also warned President Barack Obama’s foes in the Senate that if European leaders cannot solve the eurozone debt crisis, it would damage the US economy.

~snip~

• 124 Linda
      December 15, 2011 at 10:17 am

Just like he did not have the authority to give the foreign banks 16 trillion ?

I don’t believe a word Bernanke says….don’t forget his housemate in college was Blankfein.

• December 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

I thing that is rhetoric. Like he says, his mandate includes employment, inflation, solvency of banks and US treasury.
        Anything else is illegal.

29. 126 Tulips
    December 15, 2011 at 10:12 am

Excited about the Homehealth aides. This will also help the economy. These ppl deserve more pay. Thank You Potus

• 127 Dakota
      December 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

Tulips,
      I am a Home Health Aide coordinator and I am very excited about this news also. I know 1st hand how hard they work for every dollar. I love my POTUS!!!

30. December 15, 2011 at 10:16 am

New Poll Suggests Latino Voters See ‘Hostile’ GOP
    Categories: 2012, Electorate

The overwhelming majority of Latino voters believe that the Republican Party ignores them or is outright “hostile,” and that nominating Hispanic Sen. Marco Rubio as a vice presidential candidate might do little to change it, according to a national poll released Monday.

The December survey, conducted by impreMedia and the polling group Latino Decisions, is the first to test the popularity of the freshman senator from Florida with America’s Hispanics.

Since his election in 2010, the 40-year-old Rubio, with his considerable political talents and Tea Party support, has emerged as a figure expected to help improve the Republicans’ outreach to Hispanics — whose population growth gives them a pivotal role in the 2012 elections.

But Rubio and his party may have a difficult time of it. (And not just because Rubio earlier stirred controversy when reporters raised questions about his background as a Cuban exile.)

31. December 15, 2011 at 10:17 am

Question- which person in democratic leadership runs to the media afterwards(meeting with the President) to say the democrats caved on the surtax?

December 15, 2011 at 10:23 am

I don’t think it’s the DEM leadership per se, but certain Democrats in congress. Probably more than one. There are a few I can think of just off the top of my head

Manchin
      Meacham
      Kucinich
      Cardizo

• December 15, 2011 at 11:08 am

Someone in the leadership tells the media that its being dropped and then the liberal blogs start typing “CAVE, CAVE, CAVE” and then the MSM runs with it. That’s what happens.

32. 133 cuphalffull
    December 15, 2011 at 10:23 am

I am interested in AG Eric Holder’s suggestions to make voter registration automatic and bypass all these state laws the seek to undermine voter participation.

• December 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

Not enough time to get through the court system before November!

• 135 dotster3
        December 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

Agree—-too little too late. Read his proposals, which are nice but aspirational, as in, wouldn’t it be nice if everyone could automatically be registered to vote. Yes, but what about the upcoming election with all the new voter restrictions in all these Republican dominated states? What has been done to remedy this dire situation?

• December 15, 2011 at 10:36 am

Btw- they are trying to rattle holder with this fast and furious investigation. Make him afraid of his own shadow.
      Let’s hope that is not the case, but it’s obvious that is the GOP strategy!

33. December 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

US exit from Iraq: ‘this is not a withdrawal, this is an act on a stage’
    Martin Chulov in Baghdad| guardian.co.uk, Thursday 15 December 2011 09.43 EST

In a makeshift parade ground in a corner of Baghdad airport, time was called on the war just after 1pm on Thursday, eight years, eight months and 26 days after its far more dramatic opening in March 2003. Nearby a plane was waiting to take home the US high command. And in southern Iraq, the 4,000 US troops who remain were steadily streaming towards Kuwait.

By Sunday all the troops will be gone, called home for Christmas by an administration that decided there was little point sticking to the original end date of 31 December. Some of the soldiers who will soon cross the border will remain in Kuwait for several months more. But the vast majority of people in a country that has seen about 1.5 million US soldiers rotate through are unlikely to ever see another. Only 159 uniformed troops and officers as well as a marine guard corps will remain in the US embassy in the heart of Baghdad’s green zone.

~snip~

34. 142 ChristiMtl
    December 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

I really like Bob Cesca.

I was wondering what the story was about,.

The NDAA and Indefinite Detention

Posted on 12/15/2011 at 9:39 am by Bob Cesca

As I’m sure you’re aware by now, the National Defense Authorization Act was passed by the House last night and the president is expected to sign it into law. Activists on the left are accusing Congress and the president of subverting civil liberties by signing the law due to the indefinite detention language in the bill. Mainly, the concern is that U.S. citizens could be indefinitely detained.

35. 144 Tulips
    December 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

chipstick. The home care worker President Obama met as a senator. Another promise kept. watch the video.

36. 148 a4alice
    December 15, 2011 at 11:00 am

Here’s an article – i’m sure it’s been posted here already but I’m looking for things to tweet as I’m feeling like putting out some push back against what I’m perceiving out there in the twitter-verse as a day of – what’s that german word – scheudenfraud. (?) Oh i’m sure i just spelled that terribly. It’s that feeling of being happy in other’s misery and sometimes when I see stuff from emoprogs or ‘dissapointed dems’ i just want to push against what they are saying. i don’t want them to carry the theme of the day. you guys know what i mean? i want people, especially lurkers to remember what it is that we’re up against. and even what we’re up against inside the dem party (as TOD’ers have pointed out).

37. December 15, 2011 at 11:01 am

LOL! Paddy, don’t hold back…tell us how you really feel about Arpaio.~

Feds to release findings in probe of AZ Sheriff Arpaio
    Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011, 7:30 am by Paddy

I hope this racist scumbag gets his saggy old butt handed to him. One thing I’d like to note for our Fox viewers out there, this investigation started under the Bush administration. More background at the links.

PHOENIX (AP) — Federal authorities plan to announce their findings Thursday in a civil rights investigation of an Arizona sheriff’s office accused of using discriminatory tactics in its signature immigration patrols. The U.S. Justice Department has been investigating Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office since June 2008 for alleged discrimination, unconstitutional searches and seizures, and for having an English-only policy in his jails that discriminates against people with limited English skills.

~snip~

38. December 15, 2011 at 11:19 am

Ron Paul, Ron Paul,, Ron Paul. Our hero, at least that is what msnbc is telling us.

39. December 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) suggested Thursday that the Senate could move forward with a $1 trillion omnibus spending package soon.

“I just had a very comfortable conversation with [Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Daniel] Inouye [D-Hawaii],” Reid said. “[T]he issues that relate to the omnibus, I think, according to Sen. Inouye — those are resolvable. There are a few issues that are outstanding, but they are really small in number.

“What we are going to try to do in the next few hours is try to work toward resolving some of the outstanding issues.
    “I think what we should do is the conference report, and I think that’s the direction we are headed today.”

Good!