Dec

rise and shine

2:00: First Lady Michelle Obama visits Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling

2:10: President Obama delivers remarks at the 71st General Assembly of the Union for Reform Judaism

Thanks amk ;-)

About today’s AP-GfK poll – OMG! Doom! Gloom!

As GOPolitico told us, white people hate the President!! Real bad!

The best bit was when they quoted Ron Fournier saying the President “only won 40%” of the white seniors’ vote in 2008 and “his approval rating with them now is 41%”. Em, I was never too hot at math ….. but is that, eh, not technically an increase? :???:

Any way, not surprisingly, the economy remains the number one concern of those polled. You’ll get all the bad news everywhere today, what will be largely ignored:

* After the jobless rate fell to 8.6% last month (its lowest level since March 2009), the President’s approval rating on handling unemployment rose 5% to 45% in the poll.

* 20% say the economy got better in the past month, up from 6% two months ago (64% said it stayed the same)

* 15% said it got worse, down from 49% two months ago

* Respondents describing the economy as “very poor” fell from 43% in October to 34% in the latest poll, the lowest since May.

* 60% say the financial situation in their own household is good, up 6%

* 30% blamed the President for the economy, compared to 43% who blame Bush

And:

* Despite the struggles with the economy, the President still beats Romney in a match-up: 47 to 46.

* The President beats the Newt 51-42.

* Among independents, it’s even better. The President beats Romney 45-41 and the Newt 54-31.

And buried in the last line in Time’s report on the poll:

“Among those with annual household incomes of $50,000 or less, Obama’s approval rating on unemployment climbed to 53 percent from 43 percent in October.

Get that? Climbed 10%.

* 60% approve of how the President is handling terrorism, 59% say he will “keep America safe”. Not bad for an appeaser, eh?

* 53% say he is a “strong leader”

* 76% say he is “likable”

There you go – the bits you won’t hear today. And hey, wait til the fella actually starts campaigning against Romgrich ;-)

OFA: Headlines over the past few weeks have shown with hard numbers how President Obama’s Affordable Care Act is helping young people and seniors. The reform allows young people to stay on their parents’ health insurance until they turn 26 and helps Medicare recipients save money on prescription drugs.

Take a look at this infographic summing up how the Affordable Care Act is impacting millions of Americans – then share it to pass on the good news:

Link – pass it on!

Oooops:

Texas Monthly: As most readers know, every January TEXAS MONTHLY picks a Bum Steer of the Year, an honor conferred on whatever individual we feel has been responsible for the biggest screw-up, gaffe, fumble, stumble, train wreck, or humiliation of the past twelve months. This year, as the above cover makes pretty darn clear, our Bum Steer of the Year is Governor Rick Perry.

More here

Jonathan Chait (NY Mag): With Ron Paul ascending in Iowa, winning the hearts of independents, and even the endorsement of Andrew Sullivan, it’s worth pointing something out: Ron Paul is not a kindly old libertarian who just wants everybody to be free. He’s a really creepy bigot.

…. Paul comes out of an intellectual tradition called “paleolibertarianism,” which is a version of libertarianism heavily tinged with far-right cultural views …. Paul is tied in deep and extensive ways to neo-Confederates, and somewhat less tightly to the right-wing militia movement. His newsletter, which he wrote and edited for years, was a constant organ of vile racism and homophobia ….. Fear and hatred of blacks and gays, along with a somewhat less pronounced paranoia about Jewish dual loyalty, are fundamental elements of his thinking….

Full article here

Link

I’m guessing you very lovely people might have been inspired by the wonder that is Donna Dem – you pushed The Obama Diary past its fundraising target at OFA – thank you soooooooooo much!

Meanwhile, if you’d like to say THANK YOU to Donna Dem for last night’s gorgeous account of her phone call with the President, you can help push her towards her mindboggling $12,000 target – link

Almost forgot, it’s Friday!

254 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 collegekay
    December 16, 2011 at 8:49 am

Good Morning everyone :)

December 16, 2011 at 8:50 am

Morning kay and congrats on being #1!

• 3 Hachikō
      December 16, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Hi Kay!

That video made me cry. Our president is a man of honor. He cares. He means what he says and says what he means. Given the opportunity, he would keep every promise he made.

I tweeted the video and posted it on my Facebook wall because Americans need to know who President Obama really is. Not who the media and the teatards portray him to be.

Happy Friday, everyone!

December 16, 2011 at 8:50 am

Morning Chips & TOD Family!

Excellent mishmash Chips. That debate last night was just plain ridiculous – don’t know how else to describe it. The MSM is having a major sad today, so expect to be hearing “bad news for Obama” just about everywhere.

• 5 ChristiMtl
      December 16, 2011 at 8:55 am

I missed it last night but I’m sure it was as ridiculous as the other ones….they are nuts, all of them.

And you’re right, it will be bad new for the President just about everywhere….predictable BS

• 6 utaustinliberal
        December 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

You didn’t miss much. It was full of complete nonsense and outright lies. Especially when Romney said PBO had increased the deficit more than any other U.S. President. That was insane and no one called him out on it. Complete morons on that stage and morons moderating the clown debate.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:24 am

You’re right Hopefruit. The first thing I saw on my homepage was an article about an AP-gfk poll that said just about everyone wants “Obama” to lose. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thank God for TOD.

3. 8 Bill
    December 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

After last night it seems to me that Newt is finished, yet it may take awhile for Willard to clinch the nomination. What do others think?

• 9 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      December 16, 2011 at 9:03 am

MY DEAR…THE NEWT OF ILL …FILL IN THE BLANKS…WAS FINISHED BEFORE HE STARTED! HO-HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

4. 10 ChristiMtl
    December 16, 2011 at 8:52 am

Good morning TODville,

I’m catching up, I can’t believe Donna received the call from the President…..soooo exciting.

RIP Christopher Hickens….I was saddened by the news this morning, even if I didn’t always agree with him, I liked him.

Just saw this on twitter:

”So Jake Tapper threw a snit fit about not getting the third question yesterday. LOL. Just heard Bill Press and Sam Stein talk about it.”

Anyone know what happens?

5. 20 rikyrah
    December 16, 2011 at 9:02 am

My favorite drunken athiest has passed away.

RIP Christopher Hitchens.

Though I didn’t agree with a lot of what you said, you were more than likely able to make me laugh, even when I disagreed with you.

6. 21 rikyrah
    December 16, 2011 at 9:02 am

Good Morning, everyone :)

7. December 16, 2011 at 9:02 am

♪♪Goood Morning Chips & TODville!!♪ :lol: :lol: It’s a nice, sunny morning where I am, made even sunnier because I took a day off and ONE of the things I intend to do is CATCH up on things here. Too much ‘regular’ work earlier this week made me fall waaay behind on TOD family news. :(

Sending wishes for a FABULOUS FRIDAY to every one, no matter your mental &/ physical state at the start of the day! :lol: :lol:

8. 25 lovingandlaughing
    December 16, 2011 at 9:03 am

Morning! I feel like there is so much to catch up on after not checking in with TOD last night…Donna’s AMAZING call and whatever happened in the GOP debate! Were there any major flubs last night like the $10,000 bet?

• 26 Bill
      December 16, 2011 at 9:14 am

No major flubs, but Michele put it to Newt on Freddie Mac which he did not handle well. No one offered any solutions to our problems.

9. 27 Linda
    December 16, 2011 at 9:05 am

“I Nearly Died.” Time Magazine’s interview with Gabrielle Giffords.

Please look at this stunning photo of Gabby. It is just beautiful.

10. December 16, 2011 at 9:06 am

Excellent bj’er rant

Wow. If Manchin, Landreiu, Tester, Nelson, Wyden etc. only knew the President had their backs they would be emboldened to pursue more liberal positions. The great liberal Russ Feingold by holding to his precious principles refused to sign on to the Financial Reform Bill so it had to be further watered down to get the votes to pass something that would at least start to rectify the problems. Yet the White House still sent Michelle Obama to Wisconsin to campaign and raise money. Having people’s back is a two way street. Since Lyndon Johnson, Democratic presidents have been on their own in the White House. Clinton got a good sense of this when he tried to lift the ban on gays in the military and not even those who probably agreed with him would say a word. They let him be pilloried by Republicans and the press. Obama got his big “fuck you” right off the bat on that 94-6 vote against closing Gitmo. He got another good look early on when Joe Wilson called him a liar during a joint session and Democrats couldn’t muster much outrage. Republicans have been successful in destroying this country because they are tribal and authoritarian. Republicans in Congress always have their president’s back. They have always had a better sense of politics than Democrats. One president having the backs of a few congressmen who refuse to compromise on principle doesn’t change public opinion and doesn’t produce any results. But an entire caucus standing with a president whose holding to a principle makes a big difference. Democrats in Congress are independent contractors who don’t see holding the White House as all that important. To Republicans it’s the holy grail.

11. 36 dotster3
    December 16, 2011 at 9:09 am

I noticed this reference on twitter re. Ron Paul—–he’s not the kindly ol’ libertarian as portrayed. According to past writings, he’s an ugly racist and homophobe. He wrote about race wars, calling black people animals escaped from the zoo, telling white people if they lived in big cities to move or buy a rural retreat, calling South Africa’s transition the “destruction of civilization” etc. etc., the most horrible ugly garbage. Do his pothead supporters know this, or care?

12. 51 Fred
    December 16, 2011 at 9:09 am

good morning TOD family.
    Don’t know how to start.Mom came home on Sunday after she was denied rehab although she should have rehab for 2 weeks.We’ve been making calls and nothing yet.
    Yesterday we drove mom to the hospital again after she woke up with her leg so purple it was close to turning black.Thank gawd it wasn’t serious.
    She is still on blood thinner.
    Wanted to come earlier but treatment killed me and with getting up at night to help mom take her medication;cooking;etc ;I just couldn’t do it
    My brother has done the right thing by staying in his room and away from me.I am not cleaning after him nor am I cooking for him.I refuse to do so
    I am doing a LOT of praying because I honestly that’s the only thing I can do.
    I might need a year to recover from all of this . . .
    might come later again
    I want to thank Chip for this site and congratulate Donna once more
    Until next time TOD family;I miss you guys

• December 16, 2011 at 9:16 am

You and your mom are in my thoughts Fred.

• 53 a4alice
      December 16, 2011 at 9:17 am

aw geeze fred what a tough time you and family are going through. putting in a Good Word for you. Remember to eat and though you probably can’t I hope you can get some rest somehow.

• 54 rikyrah
      December 16, 2011 at 9:23 am

you and your mother are in my prayers

December 16, 2011 at 9:43 am

Thinking of you, Fred. One day at a time.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:00 am

Best wishes Fred to your mom. Here is to her getting better soon.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

Thinking of you and your Mom Fred, what a horrible time you’re enduring. Take care of yourself, wishing you better days.

• 59 JoJothecat
      December 16, 2011 at 10:07 am

Hi Fred,

I am so sorry that your mom is not getting the medical assistance she needs and that you are going through all this. I wish there was something we could do. If I lived near you I would offer to help cook or clean. I hope you take care of yourself too, we miss you and will be praying for you and your mom.

• 60 edp4bho
      December 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

You were in my prayers last night, Fred, along with ObamaGrandmama, as well as Mr. President. Keep the faith.

• 61 CTGirl
      December 16, 2011 at 10:33 am

(((((HUGS)))))) for you and your mom, Fred.

• 62 Dakota
      December 16, 2011 at 10:37 am

Fred, I’m keeping you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:38 am

My sympathies Fred. You and your family are in my thoughts. Take care of yourself.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Oh Fred, I am so sorry. We will keep all of you in our prayers.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I’m so sorry to hear you’re struggling, Fred. You are in our thoughts and prayers for some meaningful relief very soon. Please stay strong. We miss you very much.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Fred, please keep the faith. I know your prayers will be answered and the Lord will be with you. I too will keep you in my prayers!!!!

• 67 HZ
        December 16, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Fred, know that I will keep your mother in my thoughts and prayers. I will also lift you up in good quietness of thoughts so that the beautiful energy that you need at this time will flow towards you. Please keep something near by to eat and try to get a little rest when you can. Remember, your body needs the rest as well.

When my precious mother would finally decide to go to her bed( after much stressing) I would go and get in bed with her and just talk softly or sing, and she would take a nap and I would get a little shut eye as well. It was comforting to her as well as taking a little stress from me. Plus it was such a beautiful bonding during a very tough illness.

I will being praying that you will find a way to get through all of this. ((((((((((Hugs to you)))))))))) HZ

• 68 defytheodds
      December 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Sending positive energy to you Fred and your mom.

• December 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Hang in there, Fred. You’re never given more than you can handle, so dig deep – the strength is in there.

• 71 luci1119
      December 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Fred, please know that you are In my prayers and thoughts. I pray that this Issue will get better for you and your Family. You can only do your best. We’ll miss you also, I like the fact that you’re taking care of your Mom, I’m sure God Is pleased :-). Hang In there, take one day at the time, and stay encouraged. God loves you, and so do I, and do take care :-)

• 72 nathkatun7
      December 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Fred, I am sorry to hear about your mom’s ordeal. Taking care of a loved one who is sick is the most challenging job, both physically and emotionally. To do it at the same time when you are also sick is heroic. I am praying and hoping that things will improve for you and your mom. All the best to you and the family. Try to stay strong.

• 73 sjterrid
      December 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Fred, I’m so sorry your mom had to return to the hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother. Please take care of yourself while you are going through this crisis. We are here for you.

13. 74 rikyrah
    December 16, 2011 at 9:14 am

Romney Offers Contorted Defense Of His Flip-Flops
    Mitt Romney took some fairly tough questions from moderator Chris Wallace on his notorious political reinvention at Thursday’s debate.

“Governor Romney, you have changed your position in the last ten years on abortion, on gay rights, on guns,” Wallace asked. “You say keeping an open mind is a strength. Some of your critics say every one has been to your political advantage. You took liberal positions in Massachusetts but now you take more conservative positions running for president. Is it principle or just politics?”

Romney took issue with the gay rights mention, noting that he had always opposed gay marriage.

“I am firmly in support of people not being discriminated against based upon their sexual orientation,” he said.” At the same time, I oppose same-sex marriage. That has been my position from the beginning.”

• 75 24Sass
      December 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Uh Mitt, that says you are a bigot. Either you support equality, or you don’t. It’s obvious….you don’t.

Thanks for the link, Romney is dirt.

• 76 luci1119
        December 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Yeah what kind of half answer Is that??????? What are you saying Mitt???????? Draw me a map, because I DANG, sure don’t understand??????? :roll:

14. 77 rikyrah
    December 16, 2011 at 9:16 am

Thursday, December 15, 2011
    The Holder Doctrine: Register All Eligible Americans To Vote Automatically
    Posted by Zandar

And for such a brilliant,elegant, and simple idea, and being the logical endpoint of all the voter ID laws that Republicans are putting into place, they will scream FASCISM at any such efforts to make the following into law as Eric Holder’s speech this week in Austin at the LBJ library will be ignored.

All eligible citizens can and should be automatically registered to vote. The ability to vote is a right — it is not a privilege. Under our current system, many voters must follow cumbersome and needlessly complex voter registration rules. And every election season, state and local officials have to manually process a crush of new applications – most of them handwritten – leaving the system riddled with errors, and, too often, creating chaos at the polls.

Fortunately, modern technology provides a straightforward fix for these problems – if we have the political will to bring our election systems into the 21st century. It should be the government’s responsibility to automatically register citizens to vote, by compiling – from databases that already exist – a list of all eligible residents in each jurisdiction. Of course, these lists would be used solely to administer elections – and would protect essential privacy rights.

• 78 Ladyhawke
      December 16, 2011 at 9:32 am

“PROTECTING OUR DEMOCRACY, PROTECTING THE RIGHT TO VOTE”

==========================================================

An Evening With Eric Holder, Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 6:00 p.m., LBJ Auditorium

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder pledged to use the Voting Rights Act against any attacks to deny Americans access to the ballot box. Holder spoke at the LBJ Library in Austin on “Protecting our Democracy, Protecting the Right to Vote” and called voting rights a legal and moral imperative. President Lyndon Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law in August 1965.

• 80 a4alice
      December 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

I went over there and read that – thanks rikyrah. I wonder too if the Republicans will call this fascism…. I can’t wait to see what they do with it considering all the effort they’ve put into voter suppression by pursuing the voter id law.

• December 16, 2011 at 9:44 am

Smartypants’ DOJ Watch…

For a while now I have been focusing on documenting the accomplishments of Attorney General Eric Holder and the Department of Justice – especially the Civil Rights Division.

That’s partly because no other federal department was more distorted and dismantled than this one during the Bush years. Mr. Holder had a huge job walking into that mess and I’ve been more than a little impressed with how he’s performed.

In addition, some critics of the Obama administration try to say that he’s not done enough for the African American community. These stories put a lie to that critique…

Holder takes on voting laws and other DOJ news… http://immasmartypants.blogspot.com/2011/12/holders-takes-on-voting-laws-and-other.html

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together!
        YES.WE.CAN, Again…Obama/Biden 2012!
        PRESS ON!

• December 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

Thank you snoopy4eva2. We have to depend on ourselves and people like you to find the truth. It’s out there, we have to look for it because the MSM has no intention of keeping us informed.

• 83 Mae who love our CIC
          December 17, 2011 at 5:10 am

I know I am a few days behind but I just have to respond to what AAs expect from President Obama’s administration.
          First, the majority of us recognize that he is the President for all of the American people and because he happens to be of color with that does not become an automatic designation of his interest that will be predominantly promoted. Secondly. We recognize that President Obama is working untirelessly for all of us and just because he is in office did not change the plight of those people who had already endured the hardship plight under the Bush administration and what was the AAs expectation. But we basically had the same congress that we have now and don’t blame the
          President for what he is doing and not doing for a segment of society.

One thing he is working his butt off for each of this. I am just irked when I see if he doing any thing special.

• 84 Cha
            December 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Thank you for that, Mae. I read that over and over again from the AA community..and, am just so appreciative of the wisdom. Bless ya’ll’s hearts!

15. 85 halo
    December 16, 2011 at 9:18 am

I’m TIRED of these joker emoprogs and dems in Congress not having PBO’s back.

16. 86 dotster3
    December 16, 2011 at 9:19 am

Can’t believe Michele Bachmann will be the big featured guest on MTP. As someone on twitter noted, when was the last time a 5th place Dem was invited on MTP? Like never? This must be some ploy to boost Bachmann in Ia., split the evangelical vote, to aid Romney. Or something. The media is in an all out Anti-Newt/Save Romney coordinated offensive.

• 87 Bill
      December 16, 2011 at 9:26 am

David Gregory will host any Republican. The MSM seems to be treating Bachmann as though she is sane. Morning Joe offers her nothing but praise, never mentioning her crazy lies or strange background.

• 88 Lovepolitics2008
      December 16, 2011 at 9:41 am

You got that right. It’s also interesting to see how they give some exposure to Ron Paul, while in 2008 they were doing everything to block him. Paul was making some waves and was having some success in fundraising in the early stages of the primaries and there was an obvious media blackout about him.

17. 89 Linda
    December 16, 2011 at 9:22 am

In honor of Hitchens, a quote of his about a former president: “[George W. Bush] is lucky to be governor of Texas. He is unusually incurious, abnormally unintelligent, amazingly inarticulate, fantastically uncultured, extraordinarily uneducated, and apparently quite proud of all these things.”

h/t Think Progress

18. 92 chitra
    December 16, 2011 at 9:34 am

Hi Chips and Dona Dem
    I am a consistent lurker at TOD. I loved BWD’s blog and used to post there once in a while. After it went on hiatus, I am simply glad I found TOD. Now I am really happy to de-lurk to congratulate Dona and Chips. In honor of your accomplishments I donated to both fundraising pages.

• December 16, 2011 at 9:41 am

Chitra, thank you SO much, you’re incredibly generous – I’m thrilled you de-lurked! I can’t tell you how much I miss The Only Adult In The Room, but I know BWD will be back when we most need her. Meantime, she’s a warrior on Twitter! Thank you again Chitra, really appreciate your kind words and Obama/Biden 2012 donations!

19. December 16, 2011 at 9:38 am

Great article by Jonathan Chait on Ron Paul’s racist and homophobic roots – and this is the guy Andrew Sullivan supports??

20. December 16, 2011 at 9:39 am

Morning guys.

I hope to hear from PBO himself about that defense bill. It’s probably my biggest disappointment over the last three years, and I just hope to get a chance to hear his reasons.

Having said that: #presson.

• 96 Britt
      December 16, 2011 at 9:45 am

Maybe, and hopefully he’ll come into Jay’s presser to speak on it.

• 97 Tulips
      December 16, 2011 at 9:51 am

Its not for me. ppl need to look at the congress they voted for this overwhelmingly. they can over ride his veto. We need to recognize the ppl part in this we gave him this congress.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:00 am

I think he should have veto it and made them over ride it. But, I don’t want to get into a big debate about it here. What’s done is done. I can only hope that the next defense bill will eliminate this ugliness.

• 99 Tulips
          December 16, 2011 at 10:05 am

Allowing them to override a veto will give the republican a boost of confidence. He does not have a strong support of dems in congress. Manchin,Nelson, liberman, Tester, Landrieu, Pryor, Mc Caskill, and now Wyden. Would have gave the tea party republicans a campaing theme to ride in 2012 with.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’m talking principles here. Go on TV, tell people why you veto this thing and who is to blame. I never asked him to draw that bullshit line in the sand about anything, but I hoped he would here. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

I guess this is why I could never be a politician…

• December 16, 2011 at 10:26 am

He did that on gitmo and got jacksquat in return from his base. Worse he is still being blamed for it.

All this freaking out over ‘indefinite military detention’ … How many such cases are there in US really ?

• 102 Britt
                December 16, 2011 at 11:06 am

Sometimes I feel that he needs to get on TV explain his reason(s) for some of his decisions. IMO it’s not good to have supporters trying to come to their own conclusions for his decisions.

• 103 collegekay
                  December 16, 2011 at 11:17 am

That is true. Even PBO has acknowledged that he could have explained his decisions more often earlier in his term, preferably when they passed the Recovery Act. The Admin can’t allow people to cloud their decisions with their own assumptions that are usually inaccurate. I feel like he’s gotten better at going on the offensive especially with his American Jobs Act. Hopefully he or someone in his Admin will explain the reasoning behind the NDAA in layman’s terms because I’m still confused about the details.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

You mean supporters on the blogosphere right? Cause other than us who follow politics alot, regular normal folk ain’t gonna see anything other than what the media (print and tv) decides to show us.

so let’s be clear any explanation on TV is not to calm down regular ole supporters it’s to calm down the PL and some of us more “reasonable” political fanatics

• December 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Againg, I’m not talking politics, I’m talking principles. I have no doubt that he hates, hates, thates this ugly bill. That’s why I hope to get a chance to hear his reasons for signing it.

• 106 Mae who love our CIC
                December 17, 2011 at 5:20 am

I agree Amk, we should really be up in arms concerning our oresent prison system.

• 107 vero804
              December 16, 2011 at 11:02 am

I’m with you on this one, BWD. Ditto for any sort of 2 month extension of the payroll tax holiday and UI benefits. At some point, we are going to have to play hardball and show the American people that the Republicans are so craven that they’re willing to hurt folks. And then let the chips fall where they may.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:13 am

That sounds good unless you’re one of many millions who simply can’t afford it the tax increase or the loss of UI benefits. I feel for the tight spot he’s in and how he has to take the blame for a Congress that doesn’t share his views about the middle class.

• 109 vero804
                  December 16, 2011 at 11:34 am

I hear you, meta. It’s a tough spot for the president and the Democrats. But, alas, this is our reality. I simply do not see the benefit in extending UI and the payroll tax for 2 months, ONLY to come back and do this whole dog and pony show again. IMO, the Democrats should take the chance and if people are so stupid that they blame the Democrats for them not having the continued tax relief or for UI benefits then so be it….this country will deserve the Republicans.

This is what I’d like to see: No X-mas holiday. They just keep plugging away, and plugging, and plugging. Keep a presence on the tv saying, we’re ready to pass the tax cut and UI extension, but the other side isn’t. And if they don’t get it done by Jan 1, and folks start seeing their checks reduced, say that is because we can’t get the Republicans to play ball honestly and show them all the crap they’ve thrown in the way. Let the stock market start having crazy dips because of the economic blow it will be. Let’s SHOW the people how the Republicans’ lack of care for the middle-class FEELS. I think we need to put some real pressure on the Republicans rather than keep coming up with these band-aids that shield them for really feeling the heat for their misbehavior and bad faith actions.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:44 am

I might be in favor of that if I thought the MSM would play it fairly. But we both know they are dipshits of the highest order and will always carry GOP water every day of the week. Look at all the damage they have done and all you hear is about PBO’s low poll numbers and how PBO doesn’t deserve to be re-elected. It’s absolutely insane.

• 111 vero804
                      December 16, 2011 at 11:50 am

You are right. That is a valid concern. I dunno….I just don’t think we can continue playing footsie with these guys. They do this each time. Get us to the brink, we agree to some weak-tea stuff and then our side comes across looking like we lack conviction and they just look smug. I’m tired of it. Although I do not want to see people hurt either, so it’s just a mess.

• 112 Janelle
                      December 16, 2011 at 11:58 am

These are excellent points by both of you….but I agree with meta in the end. No matter how upset and pissed off I get, the GOP owns the media, all of it…..MSNBC, radio, print. The only one that will have his back is Rev. Al for 1 hr. in a 24 hour news cycle.—that’s it. Most low information voters will tire of the rollercoaster ride (my finances could probably survive it for a few months), those in poverty cannot. Most folks are still not that engaged in the process. They just know come Jan. 1st, their money better be there. The Dems will not come out to reinforce the message, either they are Cllintonites or mad that they can’t get a job in the Obama admin. to get out of Congress. The reporters will spin and spin and spin for 24 hours all day, every day and it will be non-stop Obama bashing. I too get real tired of the GOP smugness, but the one thing that calms me down, is that PBO does bring it home in the end, and I’m looking forward to his 4th quarter when the nation will be more engaged—I also don’t think people want a rollercoaster ride during the holidays, even though I wouldn’t mind it, most folks wouldn’t and the media will be the first in line to bring this President down.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’m supremely tired of it. Democrats just don’t seem to know how to build and maintain power over the long haul. They are as fickle as they come. So we end up with a completely dysfunctional Congress. It really makes me sick to think about what could have happened if we had stronger coalitions willing to stand up and support our President. We really could have done so much more. But Democrats are more invested in righteous boycotts instead of looking at the pragmatics of WINNING elections.

The media are so complicit in this mess. I am completely fed up with them. After all that PBO has achieved this year, they have the audacity to pump the stories that will only portray him as a failure. It truly is a crime.

• December 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm

You know, Vero, somehow I think the moment he starts PLAYING this GAME the President would be pulling himself down to the level of the GOPers. IMO he would then have no (moral) higher ground from which to reach out to sensible independents, republicans and democrats. In fact I do NOT believe that governing is a game to the President. I just do NOT believe that the President trying to face off in this way AT THE EXPENSE of needy Americans is the way to go, even if the Repubs look smug. I can live with Boehner looking smug for the cameras in the short term because he got ’98% of what he wanted’ while waiting for the truth to come out later, WITHOUT the needy being batted around.

• 115 vero804
              December 16, 2011 at 11:02 am

I’m with you BWD.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

Think gitmo closure. Then it will make sense.

• 117 Lovepolitics2008
      December 16, 2011 at 11:13 am

BWD, I hope you have read some of the numerous articles pushing back against the PL hysteria and misinformation. Those articles contain a lot of food for thought.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to write a sophisticated post about the subject, but from what I’ve read in this past week and these past years, I understand that President Obama has been forced to choose between a set of bad options, and has tried to respect the laws of war as much as possible.

Watching him navigate the numerous moral, legal and practical dilemmas he’s confronted with, I just pray for him. Often. As he expained in an interview more than a year ago, choosing between options often means choosing the values or principles you’ll sacrifice (at least in part), in order to put other values or principles in priority.

• December 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm

PBO is not on a suicide mission. That much is clear. He stuck he neck out and his own party guillotined him on Gitmo, Trial of terrorist suspects in American courts, defense cuts. Just see how much he is being hammered on the defense component of the debt deal trigger without a single Dem congresscritter standing up on principle to defend a bill they themselves voted for.

PBO consistently believes in governing with consent of the people. He always says that. he will not save the people from their own follies. That is the job of a messiah. PBO has never thought of himself as a messiah. Emoprogs thought so. he didn’t and I didn’t.

So, I may be wrong but I believe PBO has concluded that American people are not ready for change from the 9/11 psychological nightmare YET. A 90 out of 100 person vote for NDAA tells him the country is still in a hyper-fearful state of paranoia, and he’s being made the scape goat of it. He wants to help this country but he wants to salvage his life and dignity for his family above all. He will not martyr himself for this country. He would rather live to fight another day. I don’t blame him.

Re-listen to his 60 minutes interview and you’ll see he has concluded that this country has been manipulated by overwhelming forces to reject him so he will bide his time to see what voters say definitively in the election. A smart person waits to fight another day, not perform kamikaze acts. So if voters give him the mandate again, he’ll want to see who they gave him to work with in Congress.

PBO is a hard-nosed realist who meticulously calculates his chances and takes risks, but he doesn’t make foolhardy bets.

21. 122 collegekay
    December 16, 2011 at 9:44 am

Can someone tell me what the NDAA says exactly?

• 123 Linda
      December 16, 2011 at 9:52 am

Testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee Wednesday morning, FBI Director Robert Mueller III said that the latest version of the National Defense Authorization Act doesn’t resolve the administration’s security concerns that mandating military detention for non-citizen terrorism suspects would harm national security.

The original Senate version of the bill mandates military detention of non-citizen terrorism suspects. After the administration threatened to veto the NDAA over the detention provisions, Congress produced a revised conference bill that makes it much easier for the administration to bypass military detention and deal with terror suspects in the civilian system. Mueller’s testimony suggests the revised bill hasn’t alleviated the administration’s concerns that the detention provisions would hamper intelligence gathering and efforts to bring suspects to trial.

• 124 collegekay
        December 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

Thank you. So essentially, language in the bill still undermines the role of the FBI in interrogating terror suspects & gathering intellligence and gives the military more power? If that’s the case, I can see why people are angry.

• 125 Linda
          December 16, 2011 at 10:08 am

They should be angry at Congress…..No one asked for these powers…..

• 126 Linda
          December 16, 2011 at 10:35 am

Ya know….just as a perspective on this. Bradley Manning had his first court date today. He has been held for 18 months without charges.

• 127 vero804
            December 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

I think that’s incorrect. My understanding is that he’s been charged this whole time. He just hadn’t had his day in Court. And I do believe the reason for a good chunk of that delay was as a result of his attorney wanting to ensure his client’s mental stability.

• 129 Jessica
      December 16, 2011 at 9:54 am

Not really sure. The whole thing is confusing. I’ll wait and see.

22. December 16, 2011 at 9:53 am

Paul’s not only a racist, he’s a con man. For years he’s been pulling that anti-government routine while all the while steadily collecting those federal checks using that government run healthcare and building a nice tidy federal pension. And the people that keep electing him to his federal job year after year don’t think anything of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has days where he laughs so uncontrollably at the scam he’s gotten away with all these years that the family thinks they may have to rush him to the hospital. A federal one of course.

23. 135 Tulips
    December 16, 2011 at 10:02 am

I will not jump on the PL band wagon of fake rage. When the PL in 2010 #! reason for not voting was to teach the president a lesson. some encouraged others not to vote. President Obama went across the states begging not to give the key back. Look like the pl is teaching a lesson, a lesson in why your vote counts. People need to stop making excuse, especially if they did do their parts in make this country better. President Obama has had our best interest in heart all the time, he had our backs. The one time he asked people to stand, they stayed home. We gave the worst hand in cards history. Then turn around and expect him to save us once again for the bad decisions we the voters make. Now every decision that don’t fit the PL liking. They attack with he caved i did’nt like this i did’nt like that. Instead of admitting WE MUST Vote at every election. One of the most important things i am learning from this President. Is to look at all the angle and view them in a long term lens.

• December 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

Yup, Tulips. I’m with you all the way.

• 137 Debz
        December 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Thank you Tulips, I agree completely. I people can’t be bothered to vote, then they have no right to blame the President for anything. Also, the “expert” PLs should know that Dems in Congress don’t have the President’s back. They have one more chance to get it right, in Nov.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:12 am

Democrats are such fair-weathered friends, aren’t they? But, even after they sat home and turned their backs on the President, he’s still out there fighting for everybody. I wonder if his dropping the veto threat of the DAA has anything to do with negotiations on unemployment and the payroll tax. Making deals sucks, but it’s about all he can do right now, since the Republicans basically call all the shots in Congress.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:25 pm

‘One of the most important things i am learning from this President. Is to look at all the angle and view them in a long term lens.’

I agree Tulips. This President sets a good example of looking at the total picture, the entire ‘war’, with an end goal in mind. Consequently he positions himself for maximum success, avoiding confrontation when it serves no good purpose, and he strikes in unexpected ways, and when the outcomes are in our favour. Under this strategy we are always moving towards a specific goal, though not always by the most obvious route, or the expected steps

These other guys/gals [far right & emoprogs] want to see a knock down drag out fight for every battle, even when our own side joins the enemy and fights against us. IMO their end result would be to walk off the battlefield often, bedraggled, bloody, and limping, thus showing we know HOW to fight even when that’s all we accomplish. After all everyone will then see that we fight for our beliefs, and if some of the people we are fighting for get ‘killed’ in this scenario, well, in a battle we have to expect that lives do get lost. I for one would rather we fought for our beliefs wisely and strategically, stepping around the enemy at times, so that we can approach him from a different, and sometimes unexpected, angle.

I made a decision a long time ago not to second guess this president, but to wait to see or hear what he has in mind for the country. One of the things I’ve learned about him is that he is not perfect BUT HE IS HONEST, AND he stands behind his decisions. Therefore he doesn’t need to flip flop. I have no doubt President O. makes the best decisions for the country keeping his USA north star in mind, and he is mature enough to discuss the outcomes honestly with the American people. I have noticed that this honesty propels him to stand behind the results from his decisions even when they ‘didn’t go far enough’. So, whatever the details behind his decision re the NDAA, I trust and await his summary.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm

You are right, Tulips. It is always the President who is on the receiving end of all the anger, the disappointment and the criticism by those who object to any particular piece of legislation. How many of those critics have taken the time and made the effort to contact their Congressional representatives – both House and Senate – about their concerns? How many of them did not even bother to vote in 2010 to make sure that their elected representatives will address their needs and pay attention to their objections? How many of them have actually informed themselves about all the issues around a particular bill?
      I have said it before and I’ll say it again: You can’t allow the election of a right-wing fringe and then expect progressive legislation to be passed. A President has a lot of influence, but it is the Congress that is charged with legislating. The veto is a very serious measure that should be used sparingly. It will force reconsideration of a bill, but it also carries the risk of losing all the provisions in the bill that are necessary to carry on normal operations. In terms of the NDAA, I recommend that everyone concerned check out the administration’s position paper on whitehouse.gov. Just enter NDAA FY 2012 in the search box and you will find all the details. I am sure that President Obama will do all he can to safeguard the civil rights of individuals and also carry out the tremendously difficult task of keeping the American people safe. I often wish I could tell him how much I appreciate his conscientious attention to all the complex issues he has to deal with every day, knowing that whatever decisions he makes will inevitably lead to criticism, expressions of dismay and very little recognition. Yes, press on Mr. President, and everyone else be sure to vote in 2012 and elect a Congress that will truly represent us.

• 142 a4alice
        December 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm

thank you. that’s the perfect retort for my “disappointed” friends

“I have said it before and I’ll say it again: You can’t allow the election of a right-wing fringe and then expect progressive legislation to be passed” – hgerhard

• December 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Well stated– all of you who commented above. Posters on both side of the issue have made some very valid points. But in the end, we all know that President Obama is not taking lightly Congress’s recent decision on this Defense Bill matter. We know the President is a principled man. We know that he’s always looking at the big picture — in an effort to garner the greatest benefit for all Americans. He’s knows the Congress he’s working with. He knows there’s no way to shame the shameless Republicans or even some spineless Bluedog Democrats who aren’t going to stick their necks out for principles or to support the President. He’s knows what he’s up against, and he still continues to fight for us.

What we’ve got to do for him — if we really want him to continue to be successful– is to “have his back” ! Even when the times get tough. Even when the decisions don’t always go our way. Even when he doesn’t say exactly what we want him to say.

As th e President told us a a month or so ago, if we truly want to see more progressive change, we’ve got to put on our marching boots, and get ready to march straight to the voting booth so that we can get a Congress that will work with him and will be willing to support a progressive agenda that will help all of us.

• December 16, 2011 at 5:30 pm

NCW, you are so right! We’ve got to ‘have his back’ regardless. I also think we’ve got to stop negative critiquing as we get into the New Year, because we harm the cause when we do. Anyone else noticed in today’s presser the jackals were drawing attention to the Dems who voted with the Repubs? Jackals were quick and ready to point out the number of Dem senators who were fighting with the other side.

***You know we here at TODville could easily agree to our own pledge of allegiance, as a New Year’s resolution, to never criticize the President in print until December 2012! ***

IMO, it would be a small way to try and balance the media scale – at least in our TOD backyard. We know that others never cut him any slack, so why don’t we cut him all the slack for the next eleven months? How about us conceding that in the last 3 years 1 month we have held him accountable as per his request and now we are going to swallow whatever and CONSISTENTLY send positive energy his way. If we come up with a negative, we’ll swallow it, or say it only to our family members & friends, just not our blog friends? Or we’ll direct message it to someone who follows us so they can talk us down? Frankly this should be easier than the Norquist pledge because we already know that the man has no shortage of critics (for breathing, speaking, not speaking, etc) therefore our criticisms won’t be missed. If we decide to try this route, AND I HOPE WE DO whether we sign an actual pledge or not, those with residual criticism could let it out by year’s end and then clear the slate.

So, how about it? Your hand on no more criticisms of the President till after the 2012 inauguration?

• 146 nathkatun7
      December 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Well said, Tulips. By the way, I wish the PL and others would read Ted Sorensen’s book on JFK, entitled ” A Thousand days.” In there, Ted recounts Kennedy’s realization of, and frustration about, the “Limits of Presidential Power.” By the way, a presidential veto, which is overwhelmingly overridden by Congress, only serves to show the weakness, and not the strength of the President. If you don’t believe me just check out Andrew Johnson’s vetoes which almost led to his removal from office. If I understand correctly, the obnoxious and rigid language in the NDAA was changed. Admittedly the new changes are very ambiguous, which is nothing new when you are trying to deal with ideological compromises. The U.S. Constitution itself is filled with ambiguity! For example, I wish the Fourteenth Amendment had explicitly stated that segregation of the races was prohibited. Instead Congress, in order to secure 2/3rds majority votes for the Amendment, gave us the “Equal Protection Clause,” which was interpreted by one Supreme Court (1896) to say that “Separate but Equal” did not violate the “Equal Protection Clause,” only to be contradicted by a future Court (1954) to say that the separation of races was “inherently unequal” and thus violated the “Equal Protection Clause.” As much as I detest the ambiguity in the Fourteenth Amendment, I still think it was absolutely important to pass. Can you imagine where this country would be if the purist, standing on principle, had insisted that unless the Amendment explicitly banned segregation, It should have been rejected.

24. December 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

Send that Ron Paul article to Rachel.

Rachel@msnbc.com

25. December 16, 2011 at 10:29 am

The 76% saying the President is likable is very key. Because it insulates him from smear campaigns in a large way. I believe there was a memo sent to Republicans not to attack Pres. Obama personally because it is seen as backfiring. This is likely what is insulating him from the economic numbers as well, and shouldn’t change much over the next year considering it’s built on seeing him and his family in action for 4+ years already.

This number of course blows up the MSM meme about Pres. Obama not being able to connect with people, which of course we all know was BS anyways.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:09 am

The likeability factor will go a long way–especially since none of the Republicans are remotely likeable. Just think back to the contrast between PBO and John McCain. And, he was slightly more likeable than Mitt or Newt.

• 153 dotster3
        December 16, 2011 at 11:50 am

It’s the one key factor—-because as has often been stated, most people, at the moment of voting, select the person they like the best. Period.

• December 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Right, SR – this is important, particularly because President Obama doesn’t engage in character or negative attacks. If he doesn’t do it, and there is a negative incentive for his opponent to do it, then maybe people will allow the actual issues to come to the fore.

26. December 16, 2011 at 10:36 am

Good morning, everyone:
    Fred, I was thinking about you last night and now I know why. I said a prayer and I encourage you to read, meditate and study (Luke 2:36-37)Remember, we must pray to pray, and continue in prayer so our prayers may continue. By: Charles H. Spurgeon.

I will continue to lift you and your mother in prayer. Peace and healing…..God Bless.

27. December 16, 2011 at 10:51 am

By the way, Tulip: I agree with everything you posted up above. “Long term lenses”, is what our President does very well. They will never grasp his way of thinking because the ones that I meet feels that he should be “privileged” that they voted for him in 2008. I am so tired of hearing that. And he dissapointed them…..after that I just tune them out or walk away. The question that shuts them down is, Where were you when Bush was in office? They brush this diaster aside as if to pardon or excuse him for leaving this mess and not to be mentioned. Of course, I do not give them the pleasure.

28. 157 halo
    December 16, 2011 at 11:00 am

BUT BUT THE MEDIA SAYS HE’S WEAK!

29. 158 Linda
    December 16, 2011 at 11:12 am

WASHINGTON — The Securities and Exchange Commission has brought civil fraud charges against six former top executives at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, saying they misled the government and taxpayers about risky subprime mortgages the mortgage giants held during the housing bust.

Those charged include the agencies’ two former CEOs, Fannie’s Daniel Mudd and Freddie’s Richard Syron. They are the highest-profile individuals to be charged in connection with the 2008 financial crisis.

Mudd and Syron led the mortgage giants when the housing bubble burst in late 2006 and 2007. The four other top executives also worked for the companies during that time.

The case was filed in federal court in New York City. Lawyers for Mudd and Syron couldn’t be reached for comment.

According to the lawsuit, Fannie told investors in 2007 that it had roughly $4.8 billion worth of subprime loans on its books. The SEC says that Fannie actually had about $43 billion worth of products targeted to borrowers with weak credit.

Freddie said about 11 percent of its single-family loans were subprime in 2007. The SEC says it was closer to about 18 percent.

30. December 16, 2011 at 11:12 am

President Obama needs to use his veto threats better. Everytime he issues one it just means the GOP House will make sure to make that their key issue. Boehner said again today that the Keystone Pipeline will be in any tax cut deal – to applause from his caucus.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

It seems boner wants to make taxcuts for the middle class DOA and then blame it on the President.
      It is all tactics and strategy for boner. Of course, he gets help from the many republican think tanks in the area.
      All we have is a bunch of whiners on our side.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:32 am

As terrible as it sounds, I expect Pres Obama to cave on this. GOP knows that Pres. Obama needs economy growing in order to be re-elected so always take the biggest hostage they can and play chicken because Pres. Obama will always give in eventually. I’m sure there has been some, but I can’t remember a stand-off situation since the GOP took the House than the President won. I guess the budget deal where he went to the Lincoln Memorial the day after, but I think that display pissed off Boehner who hasn’t budged on anything ever since.

December 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

I am so sick and tired of this “CAVE” B.S.

December 16, 2011 at 11:47 am

If people had got their darn butts out and voted in 2010, maybe the President wouldn’t have to be “CAVING” all the time. Which I don’t think he does. Ed Schultz loves to talk about caving, but from what I hear he was one of the ones telling people not to go vote in 2010. If the Dems still had control of the House things would be alot different.

December 16, 2011 at 11:58 am

Sometimes I do find myself wondering why Obama would even want to be President. I support the President 100%, I want him to win in 2012, but these Republicans he has to deal with is like no Republicans ever before. They are EVIL. And then there is the Democrats, what can I say? Alot of them ain’t to much better.

• 166 L3
              December 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Yes, and you would think commenters on this blog would understand that and refrain from using that term. PBO has to do what’s best for the country while everyone else it seems only have to do what’s best for them or their party. You either trust the President or you don’t. It’s really that simple. Whining and complaining about things he can’t change is a clear sign of a lack of trust and faith.

I trust the President and will not second guess and nitpick his every decision. Trusting PBO means that often he will be faced with choosing between a bad decision and a worse decision. He needs help and he didn’t get any in 2010 so we all have to live with the consequences of that election and resolve to give him the help he needs in 2012.

December 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm

L3, you sure told the truth there. I look at President Obama and yes he is a handsome man, but I see beyond that. I see a man who has a good heart who wants to do the right thing. Who wants to help those who are struggling out there, who wants this economy to get better, who want to keep this country he loves safe. As you said L3, either you trust the President or you don’t. I do. When these Progressive get out there running their mouth, the first thing I want to ask them did you vote in 2010? This President need sane, sensible people in Congress to deal with, he does not have that.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

‘I trust the President and will not second guess and nitpick his every decision.’

We are on the same wavelength, L3. :lol: This is exactly what I was saying up above, probably even as you were writing. I don’t understand why we don’t just let him govern, while we just do the SUPPORTING in all its guises!!!

• December 16, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Me too aniebella. If the President sees a need to compromise for the general welfare of the majority of people it’s a CAVE. Fuck all of them that don’t have a clue about process and what it takes to get anything passed through Congress – especially THIS Congress.

• 171 nathkatun7
            December 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Here, Here, Anniebella! As the President told those students at Harvard, People, in Lincoln’s time would have screamed: “Lincoln caved on slavery!” Today, Lincoln is called the Great Emancipator, though the Emancipation Proclamation excluded over a million slaves in Loyal States and regions of states under Union control. Lincoln’s primary goal was saving the Union from splitting apart. Practical abolitionists, like the great Frederick Douglass, recognized and decried the limitations of Lincoln’s Proclamation, yet Douglass profusely praised him for his courage in taking the step he took. I wish today’s purity progressives would learn a lesson from people like Frederick Douglass.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

And I dont blame him for a divided, fucked up congress.

• 173 collegekay
          December 16, 2011 at 11:46 am

He’ll always do what’s right for the economy. Republicans have nothing to lose; they don’t give a damn about us anyway.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Are you kidding? He cleaned the floor with the Republicans on the debt ceiling issue and they didn’t even get it until the so-called Supercommitee met and found itself in a trap. The president always “wins” in the end, despite the appearance of compromise he has to give at the time. By the way, compromising, which used to be the lingua franca of governing, is not caving. It’s keeping your eyes on the major prize–the welfare of the American economy–and not getting distracted by stuff that can be dealt with later.

• 175 24Sass
            December 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Yes, I agree. Whatever it takes, we the people don’t go without tax cuts or unemployment benefits. That is the important thing, he looks out for our dinner table first. No republican will ever do that.

• 176 vero804
          December 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Cave is a tough and loaded word, but I get what you mean.

• 177 L3
        December 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

You’re right we do have a bunch of whiners on our side and not just in D.C.

December 16, 2011 at 12:14 pm

L3, you sure told the truth there.

• December 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Thanks anniebella for your comments above. Has POB ever used the word’Cave In” to us? If I am missed it, please correct me. From my observations, it has been others. Why the heck are we constantly accepting ‘Cave In’ from these people who do not mean POB any good. Yes, I said it.

Let us focus my friends. POB came in with a lot of S… on his plate. In fact on a Big Damn Platter. And who got in there to help him clean that fricking platter up? Who? A small group like us, like Chips and Blackwaterdog and company. We are not the ones trashing our President. So do not allow them to pit us against each other. Refocus.

Press On like POB and work with what we have and push back where we have the gifts and talents to push back on those who darn well DO NOT Want POB to succeed.

We can’t have all of the explanation from POB every minute of the day. This President is trying to clean up S… that has been put on the back burners for decades. So in order for him to come in and try to govern in a decent manner, he has to clear this S… up just to see his way in that Oval Office. This is a BFD he has been given. And being the decent man and great President that he is, he will do the best and right thing for the people. Can’t we Trust him on this? Please, let not fall for all of this BS. Let’s help him until our eyes look like we have not had any sleep all night, like his eyes look. Like Plouffe, Valarie, Axe, Jay, and all the rest. We have a very heavy lift with this President. Let us put our heads together and work with and for him.

President Obama will be fine whenever he leaves office. Trust me. He will. But that is not why he made the sacrifice to be our President. He wants to make this a better government for All people. Now let us Press On, and lift him up. If you have a ‘beef’ with him , let him know. We know that he listens. So that is not an excuse. But let not allow these people who do not care a S… about POB rule our minds, thinking and our outcome. Sorry if I offend anyone, but that is not my intentions. I love you all here. But we will not allow these Evil, yes I said Evil because they are just that. Look at their actions and deeds really close.y, and tell me what catagory you put them in.HZ

• December 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Oh, it is good to see so many here in synch – we’ve got to TRUST the best President for such a time as this! ‘Now let us Press On, and lift him up.’

You made a suggestion i hadn’t thought of in my comment up thread for us to stop criticizing. Let him know if you have a beef with him, you said, and I mentally add that to my suggestions.

• 181 Linda
      December 16, 2011 at 11:22 am

Boehner only got 190 votes from his Caucus to pass the NDAA. I don’t care how much they cheer him…he cannot do one thing without votes from the Democrats.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

No. This is what Boenhner said:
      _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a backstop, if negotiations fail, the Senate could pass a two month extenders package and revisit the issue after the holidays. Republicans don’t like this option because it means they’ll be exposed politically, with less leverage and President Obama in full campaign mode. Boehner has told his caucus that if the Senate sends over a two month bill, they’ll amend it significantly — including with that provision forcing the administration to make a final call on the Keystone XL pipeline within two months — and pick this fight all over again.

December 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Do anyone see what I mean about what President Obama has to deal with? Instead of all the complaining let’s get ready to vote in 2012 and get rid of as many Tea-Republicans that we can get rid of. Give the House back to Pelosi, someone who will work with President Obama for the good of the American people.

• 184 a4alice
          December 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I tell you what anniebella I cant’ WAIT to see Nancy P with the gavel in her hand once again. I’ll even throw some confetti up in the air. :-)

December 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm

a4alice, and when John boehner hand that big gavel back to Speaker Pelosi, it wouldn’t bother me one bit if she were to hit boehner right on the head. I know she can’t and wouldn’t do that, but I can dream can’t I?

• 187 nathkatun7
            December 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Alice, this will only happen if Democrats stop eating their own over some purity, holier than thou, BS! I can assure you that my congresswoman, Susan Davis, from Conservative San, Diego, CA can not vote exactly like Bernie Sanders. If she did that she would be history. She is obligated to heed the sentiments of the majority in her district. Although her Congressional district is progressive by San Diego standards, it’s still more conservative than congressional districts in L.A., San Francisco and Oakland. If the purity progressives want to see laws enacted that favor their agenda, they have to get off their asses and work hard to elect purity progressives. Defeating Democrats and President Obama will, imho, guarantee that they will never get any of their agendas enacted. And, the progress that the President and the Democratic controlled congress made in the first two years, under Speaker Pelosi, will all be rolled back.

• December 16, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Well, now Mitch McConnell is saying NO DEAL of any kind w/o the Keystone pipeline. Lets be clear though that what the GOP is asking for is for PBO to make a decision within 60 days. They want to make it a part of the 2012 election.

• December 16, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The pipeline demands from the GOP is simply for the President to make a decision within 60 days. The reality is that if he’s not ready to pass it, then he can always reject it. And there will be fallout from some, but I’m sure making the case for 200 permanent jobs while 1.9 million jobs languish in Congress under the AJA will be interesting to watch. So, I don’t think it’s as big a deal as people think. The focus should be that the GOP are willing to make 160 million people suffer so that they can get what they want, regardless of the environmental costs – one more case of hostages being taken.

• December 16, 2011 at 2:14 pm

If it’s not a big deal than why issue the veto threat? So now Dems dropped millionaires surcharge and will accept the Pipeline language? The language that says Pres Obama has to accept it, with the only out being he can block it if Pres Obama finds it’s against the countries national interest?

• 192 nathkatun7
          December 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm

“What happened to never making a threat unless you were 100% committed to carrying it out?”

Sometimes presidents have to issue a veto threat to force a compromise. I’ve known many presidents who issued veto threats but in the end always accepted compromises that did not give them 100% of what they wanted but still gave them most of what they wanted. In this case, what President Obama wants is the extension middle class tax cuts and the extension of unemployment insurance. We cannot loose sight of this.

For me, the fact that there is an “out” whereby the President can find that “it’s against national interests” means that the President is not being forced to accept this. Unless you know for certain that the President cant find a plausible justification, on the grounds of “national interests,” which I assume may include protection of the health of the American people, to reject the Keystone pipeline. So far as I know, the President has never definitively ruled out approving this pipeline. It’s just on hold, pending a thorough review by the State Department. Again, for me, what you call “the only out” tells me that the final decision on this is still up to the President. Why this is perceived as ” a cave in” is beyond me. Now if the language had explicitly said that President Obama MUST accept this, without an “out,” then I would understand your criticism. I’ve said it before, but I will say it again, when you are dealing with a divided government, where a president can’t count on Congress to pass bills that are 100% to his liking, he has to find a way to compromise in order to be able to get somethings done. This is very central to effective governing.

31. December 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

Just FYI -

Voting FOR NDAA: Boxer, Blumenthal, Gillibrand, Kloblucher, Leahey, Mikulski, Reed, Whitehouse.

• 196 collegekay
      December 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

I spot one of my senators.

• 197 nathkatun7
      December 16, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Thanks Meta, for this list. Sen. Boxer is my Senator. She is by far one of the most courageous and principled Senators. I will never forget how she was the only Senator to stand up in support of the CBC challenge to certifying Bush’s 2004 election because of the voting irregularities in Ohio. She is also the most principled when it comes to the protection of the environment. Any one who would argue that Barbara Boxer caved on this needs to have her/his head examined.

32. December 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

Dear Donna Dem…Congratulations on your call from PBO. Magnificent.
    Your story of how it all went down made me laugh out loud :)
    I know you will treasure this moment. If it brought me so much joy, I can’t
    begin to imagine what it did for you.

Thank you Ms. Chips for giving us this wonderful forum. Glad that Donna
    mentioned you and your wonderful blog to PBO. Great job TODVILLE.

33. December 16, 2011 at 11:22 am

Just saw this headline from “The Hill”. MSM don’t want to discuss any of PBO’s positive accomplishments, yet they complain when he talk directly to the people.

Obama runs risk of overexposure with his most recent media blitz

By Amie Parnes – 12/16/11 06:00 AM ET

34. December 16, 2011 at 11:23 am

Obama campaign sends out new video of ending the war in Iraq. Check it!-

35. December 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

WASHINGTON–While President Obama remains in Washington to deal with Congress, First Lady Michelle and daughters Malia, 13 and Sasha, 10 fly to Hawaii on Friday evening for their annual winter visit to Obama’s home state of Hawaii.
    On Friday afternoon, Mrs. Obama visits Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling to participate in a Marine Corps Toys for Tots program.

Lynn Sweet-

December 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I hope and pray the First Family have a safe trip to Hawaii. I hop it won’t be long before the President join them, and I hope they have a Merry, Merry, Christmas.

36. December 16, 2011 at 11:44 am

WASHINGTON–A three-judge federal panel in Chicago on Thursday rejected a bid by Illinois Republicans to redraw a congressional map heavily tilted in favor of Democrats. The court turned down arguments that the map, drawn by Democrats in the Illinois General Assembly, was a partisan racial gerrymander that denied Illinois Hispanics a second district.

37. 208 Linda
    December 16, 2011 at 11:45 am

Deal To Avert Government Shutdown Cuts Pell Grants For Up To 100,000 Students

It did save our lightbulbs though.

Sigh !

38. December 16, 2011 at 11:45 am

A week or so ago when Steve Kroft on “60 Minutes” had done a piece on why top mortgage officials had not been brought to justice, I mentioned here that Fannie and Freddie were truly responsible for the majority of the housing crisis as they started buying subprime loans and didn’t inform Congress, which, as a government sponsored enterprise (GSE) they are required to do. So, here it is! They finally went after them!

an excerpt: U.S. securities regulators sued six former top executives at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac on Friday, saying they misled the government and taxpayers about risky subprime mortgages the mortgage giants held during the housing bust.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:32 pm

In a meeting of our Progressive/Liberals group last night, someone said that the tea party was accusing the government of forcing Fannie and Freddie to make subprime loans. This law suit should dispel that notion should anybody bother to read about it. The TPs were actually conflating the government call to end discrimination in lending to minorities and promote minority homeownership in the early 90s with subprime lending. In fact, there were massive public education programs in the nineties encouraging first time borrowers to mortgage shop and not passively accept super high interest loans for properties they couldn’t afford. MInority homeownership expanded and a very large number were sensible loans with reasonable rates. There were the bad apples, however, and they started the out of control lending that led to the downward spiral.

39. December 16, 2011 at 11:56 am

The Senate will most likely hold votes on Saturday to renew government funding, Senate leaders Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) suggested in a colloquy on the Senate floor following a leadership meeting Friday morning.

Both leaders also indicated that despite the delay, steady progress is being made towards resolution on the two outstanding issues, government funding for fiscal year 2012 and the pay roll tax cut extension.

“We are making real good progress, we not there yet, but we are very, very close,” sad Reid.

Both leaders also sought to dispel the notion that  if government spending is not technically renewed by Friday at midnight there would be a disruption in government services.

40. December 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Good Morning TOD family.

Fred – hang in here, we will keep your family in our thoughts and rejoice when you return to us at full speed.

So much of Donna’s good news has rubbed off on me that I am still feeling like a rock start this morning. I am going to a Christmas party for OFA tonight and will share the “mall phone call” story with everyone.

Thought I would start ou he day with a dog lovers story

Dogs Welcoming Home Their Owners from Deployment

Hope everyone has a joyful day.

41. December 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm

December 16, 2011 8:00 AM

One deal done, one to go
    By Steve Benen

As recently as Wednesday, federal employees were receiving ominous instructions: prepare, once again, for a possible government shutdown. The deadline for a spending deal was Friday night.

Late yesterday, an agreement came together.

Congressional negotiators signed off Thursday evening on a $1 trillion spending agreement for 2012 for federal agencies, barely 27 hours before a deadline that could have led to a government shutdown.

After dropping minor policy prescriptions that President Obama opposed, members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees gave final approval to the plan after a four-day standoff related to Obama’s demands to extend the payroll tax holiday for 160 million workers.

• 216 MoObama
      December 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm

The dems caved in again! scream the PL. I don’t like to see this can kicked down the road with no plan to tax the 1%, but fighting a battle that hurts millions of workers just because you enjoy fighting is stupid. Congress can wrestle over the revenue issue next year, take care of the payroll tax issue now. The president has our backs, he will not sign anything that hurts the 99%. Why is that so hard for the PL to accept? Is it just me or is the sound of Bernie Saunders voice beginning to grate on the nerves?

• 217 nathkatun7
        December 16, 2011 at 6:34 pm

MoObama, no it’s just not you! Bernie Sanders needs to understand that the views of his Vermont constituency, and the views of the few purity, holier than thou, so called progressives, do not represent the views of the vast majority of Americans; including those who belong to the 99%. This notion that you must make the 99% suffer more in order to save them (with absolutely no guarantees) is, as far as I am concerned, totally bizarre! Only people who don’t have to worry about mortgage/rent payments, or affording groceries, car payments and heating their homes this winter, can afford this BS about standing on principle.

• December 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm

It’s interesting to me that Republicans often cry about “uncertainty”, but they never seem to have a problem instilling uncertainty in the broad swatch of millions of American families. They play around until the 11th hour, holding people’s lives and security in their greedy little hands. Just think how much more confidently people would shop this holiday season if they knew they weren’t going to be hit with either an increase in their payroll taxes or to compensate somehow from critical cuts in vital services? This about those unemployed people who still don’t know if they’re going to be able to feed their families this Christmas. Or the many seniors and government workers who were wondering whether they’d be dealing with another government shutdown up until last night. The pain and suffering caused by Republicans is inhumane – and totally unnecessary. I’m glad Democrats are more responsible to their constituents and fellow Americans than the Republicans. (As Elizabeth Warren says, “I save my rocks for Republicans”).

• 221 nathkatun7
      December 16, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Rikyrah, you are amazing! How do you find the time to unearth all this info.? Elon James was indeed “good crazy” in his truth telling!

42. 222 Linda
    December 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm

GINGRICH: “I balanced the budget for four straight years, paid off $405 billion in debt — pretty conservative.”

THE FACTS: In the 1996 and 1997 budget years, the first two years he served as speaker of the House of Representatives, the government actually ran deficits. In 1998 and 1999, the government ran surpluses. Two more years of surpluses followed, but Gingrich was gone from politics by then and had nothing to do with them.

Moreover, the national debt went up during the four years Gingrich was speaker. In January 1995, when he became speaker, the gross national debt was $4.8 trillion. When he left four years later, it was $5.6 trillion, an increase of $800 billion.

To be sure, Gingrich did not single-handedly deepen America’s debt, just as he didn’t balance any budgets on his own. He was a driving force, along with Democratic President Bill Clinton and figures in both houses of Congress, in the economic setbacks and advancements of that time.

• 223 JoJothecat
      December 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Plus as speaker he NEVER voted for tax increases that Clinton signed although the house and senate passed. it.

43. December 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm

December 16, 2011 11:15 AM

Allen West’s Goebbels reference
    By Steve Benen

I’m getting pretty accustomed to Republicans referencing Nazis in their attacks. Michele Bachmann compared the national debt to the Holocaust; Newt Gingrich said President Obama poses a domestic threat on par with Nazi Germany; and various Fox News figures regularly invoke Nazis, Hitler, and Goebbels to go after their perceived enemies.

But this new one stood out for me for a couple of different reasons

Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) on Thursday said Democrats have an “incredible propaganda machine,” comparing Democrat proficiency to that of a Nazi administration head.

“If Joseph Goebbels was around, he’d be very proud of the Democrat Party, because they have an incredible propaganda machine,” West told reporters in the House, according to multiple reports.

Joseph Goebbels was the head of the Minister of Propaganda in Germany while it was under the control of the Nazi party from 1933 to 1945. The department sought to control public opinion and enforce Nazi Party ideology in Germany prior to and during World War II.

West said the comparison was not between Democrats and Nazis and only applied to the quality of the propaganda.

• December 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Who really voted for this clown. He’s offensive on so many fronts.

• 226 nathkatun7
      December 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Projecting much, Allen West? Allen West knows fully well which political party has perfected Nazi-like propaganda way beyond what Goebbels dreamed of doing. I am sure if Goebells was around to-day he would marvel at the Republican propaganda machine. The Nazi’s could not match the Republican propaganda machine of FOX News, co-opted MSM, right wing dominated Talk-Radio and right wing blogs. In all these media venues telling TRUTH is frowned upon. What matters is how to repeatedly lie to undermine and eventually destroy your political opponents. Just imagine how far the Nazi would have gone if they had the power of FOX news as well as the unlimited financial support from billionaires like the Koch brothers.

• December 16, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I told ya’ll on a previous thread what i think of Allen West. And after this last spew of garbage, i’m not sure if he wasn’t hatched from a reptilian nest. Somebody check to see if he has a belly-button. It wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t. AlphaSierraSierra HotelOscarLimaEcho!

• 228 nathkatun7
          December 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I am sorry I missed your previous comment. I think you are on to something because the way this guy behaves is way out there. But then again, this has been the pattern of many current Black Republicans. Frederick Douglass must be turning, with utter dismay and embarrassment, in his grave.

44. December 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm

AFL-CIO is making very powerful videos about unemployment, the need for jobs, unemployment benefits, etc.

Jobless Worker Gets by on One Meal a Day

Go unions

45. 232 Linda
    December 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Fox & Friends: Fox News’ Top Misinformer Of 2011

Misinformer Of The Year: Rupert Murdoch And News Corp.

46. December 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm

December 16, 2011 10:35 AM
    Haley’s healthcare headache
    By Steve Benen

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) is generating some campaign-related news today, but the far more interesting story is the health care controversy the first-term governor has generated back at home.

Like all states, South Carolina was supposed to be working on creating a health care exchange — a marketplace where consumers can choose among competing coverage plan — and Haley’s office accepted taxpayer money to explore alternatives. Behind the scenes, however, the governor apparently had a far less constructive plan in mind.

Gov. Nikki Haley dictated the conclusions of a committee charged with deciding how the state should implement federal health care reform before the group ever held its first meeting, public documents show.

Now, some of those involved in the dozens of meetings are calling the entire planning process a sham that wasted their time and part of a $1 million federal grant.

In a March 31 email thread that included Haley, her top advisers and the committee member who eventually wrote the report, Haley wrote, “The whole point of this commission should be to figure out how to opt out and how to avoid a federal takeover, NOT create a state exchange,” which is eventually what happened.

47. December 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I glad the last GOP of the year is behind us, and soon Christmas and New Year’s are next. Then the campaign begins in earnest. IMHO, all the B.S. and whining and all the “caving” and “Obama is weak” rhetoric from our side has got to stop once the campaign year is upon us. We ahve 11 month to get PBO re-elected, there will be no time for this continuous loop of “outrage” that seems to always happened on our side this year (from the PL and even from supposed reasonable people) I personally refuse to give ANY amunition to the right or use anything that can be used a a possible GOP talking point anymore. When the new year starts it’s time to piss or get off the pot. It’s gonna be time for ALL Democrats to get behind this POTUS and be as unified as possible even on the blogophere.

It’s over it’s done, there is NOT much that can be done to change the past votes or pledges or whatever the outrage dujour was. For me at least, after the new year, I’m done with stories that are meant to depress our voters. The fix is in and I for one refuse to be manipulated by MSM, PL, or even one issue voters, cause the only thing that should be my laser light focus is re-electing PBO, cause the alternative is unthinkable.

My pledge and my mantra will be “I.REFUSE.TO.PLAY.THE.MSM&GOP.GAME!!!”.

• December 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Case in point: GOPolitico has a post up titled “liberals blogs letdown over Obama” and they link to a post by John Cole over at Balloon Juice first off and then DKOS and the usual suspects.

I refuse to link to it.

My pledge and my mantra will be “I.REFUSE.TO.PLAY.THE.MSM&GOP.GAME!!!”.

48. December 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I’m not a big fan of Paul Krugman, but he has an interesting piece that says that a Ron Paul style economics would lead to a depression:

“Unfortunately, Mr. Paul has maintained his consistency by ignoring reality, clinging to his ideology even as the facts have demonstrated that ideology’s wrongness. And, even more unfortunately, Paulist ideology now dominates a Republican Party that used to know better.

I’m not talking here about Mr. Paul’s antiwar views or his less well-known views on civil and reproductive rights, which would horrify liberals who think of him as a good guy. I’m talking, instead, about his views on economics.”

49. 242 anniebella
    December 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm

We know what the Republicans are trying to do. We know they are trying to bring down President Obama, and the last thing I want to see is Democrats helping the Republicans. I’m going to keep praying for my President and his family. And the people who are struggling.

50. December 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I refuse to link to it.

My pledge and my mantra will be “I.REFUSE.TO.PLAY.THE.MSM&GOP.GAME!!!”.

51. 245 Linda
    December 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Congress reached a deal Thursday to avert a shutdown that would have begun at midnight tonight, and in doing so, Republicans found another low-income program to target, cutting funding for subsidies that help the poor stay warm during the winter by nearly 25 percent. At the same time, however, the Pentagon’s budget is getting a 1 percent boost, as the Associated Press noted:

Highlights of the $1 trillion-plus 2012 spending legislation in Congress:

—$518 billion for the Pentagon’s core budget, a 1 percent boost, excluding military operations overseas. [...]

—$3.5 billion for low-income heating and utility subsidies, a cut of about 25 percent.

One of every five families using LIHEAP is a military family, a 156 percent increase from 2008. Congress, however, decided to cut that program to give a boost to a budget that already makes up 20 percent of the country’s total budget and has been spared in multiple spending agreements this year (the super committee trigger a notable exception).

52. 246 Ladyhawke
    December 16, 2011 at 1:13 pm

33 Quotes About Conservatives/Republicans That Liberals Should Know About

The typical conservative is one who opposes all progress. They are paranoid, enjoy using fear to control others, and in most cases have no clue what they are talking about. They hate facts, hate government, and do not believe in contributing to society. Conservatives cling to the failed policies and traditions of the past and are willing to use the threat of violence at times to return to them. Many of these quotes were meant to be funny, but it turns out the humorous quotes were quite accurate. The rest of the quotes were just bluntly truthful. In the spirit of this list, however, I’d like to add a quote of my own that describes today’s conservatives to a tee.

Conservatives remind me of Yosemite Sam, Wile E. Coyote, and Elmer Fudd. They bring the guns, the stupidity, and of course, the failure.

Sorry conservatives, it had to be said.

• 248 Linda
      December 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I witnessed one of the evening-gown clad guests, who perhaps had had a bit too much of the very creamy Egg Nog that was being served, drop a large piece of berry pie on the priceless rug in the State Dining Room. Three black-clad staffers materialized immediately, armed with spray bottles and towels to mitigate the damage. The mess was gone in an instant

I wonder who that was…

• 251 JoJothecat
      December 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Ymmmy..I wish I could attend one of those parties.

53. 252 a4alice
    December 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm

do not mind me i’m trying to paste a tweet

RSS OFA