Jan

afternoon all

Iowa Democratic Party

Last week at Firebaggerlake:

:oops:

USA Today: President Obama announced a new military strategy on Thursday that will cut the Pentagon budget by hundreds of billions of dollars over the next decade.

Speaking from the Pentagon, Obama said the plan is “smart, strategic” and sets priorities.

…. The new military strategy includes $487 billion in cuts over the next decade. An additional $500 billion in cuts could be coming if Congress follows through on plans for deeper reductions. The announcement comes weeks after the U.S. officially ended the Iraq War and after a decade of increased defense spending in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

More here

President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta after the president spoke on the Defense Strategic Review at the Pentagon

Washington Post

Dana Milbank: If this is Mitt Romney’s idea of a victory rally, one shudders to think what would have happened if he had lost the Iowa caucuses. The day after his impossibly thin eight-vote victory …. he flew here for a town hall meeting at Manchester Central High School, where he was to bask in the endorsement of his 2008 arch rival, John McCain.

But the senator grimaced when he was introduced, and as Romney delivered his own stump speech, an increasingly impatient McCain pulled up his sleeve and checked his watch. McCain gave his endorsement address without mentioning Romney’s Iowa win until the end. “By the way, we forgot to congratulate him on his landslide victory last night,” he said, laughing. Romney ignored him.

….. Romney continued to wrestle with words when he took the stage … “What a, uh, big night we had last night, or what a big morning we had, uh, last morning, this morning, in, uh, Iowa,” he began…..

Full article here

Randall Enos

Ah, the Firebaggers just keep on embarrassing themselves …. from Firebaggerlake:

Raw Story

Washington Monthly: What If Obama Loses? … there’s a widespread assumption that extreme positions taken in the (GOP) primaries will fade in the general election as candidates “move to the center,” and will disappear entirely once the serious business of governing begins. Surely President Newt Gingrich would not get rid of child labor laws. Surely President Perry would not seek to eliminate three cabinet departments.

We don’t think that this year, with this GOP, those assumptions are warranted. And so we asked a distinguished group of reporters and scholars to think through the hitherto unthinkable: What if one of these people actually wins?

Full post here

Thanks BWD

Chart of the Century:

Steve Benen (thanks Meta)

412 Responses to “afternoon all”

1. 3 tally
    January 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

And can I just say we need some regulation on the Bachmann Baby Mill™.

2. 8 halo
    January 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

FOX NEWS’ MEGYN KELLY JUST ASKED IF OBAMA ADMIN IS A MONARCHY?! THEYRE FREAKING OUT!

• 9 tally
      January 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’m sending a waaaahmbulence.

• 10 utaustinliberal
        January 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Hahahaha. You just reminded me of my high school AP Govt teacher who whenever republicans in congress would complain, she’d say “Waaah Waaah Waaah…….call the waaaahmbulance!” :lol: Loved her!

• 11 Brian
      January 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’m sure they question the reign of St. Ronnie since he holds a substantial lead in the sheer number of recess appointments he made during his tenure. :)

• 13 Linda
      January 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

She prefers the Bush Dictatorship ?

• January 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I guess Megyn’s confused. Isn’t PBO supposed to be “weak” in Fox pundit eyes? So now he’s been promoted to a monarch, that means he’s not only a leader, but a powerful one. If the administration’s regulatory agencies actually do their jobs and the president does not bow down before the whims of the minority rump of the US Senate, then he’s a king. Is this what passes for thinking among Fox talking heads?

The first time I saw Megyn Kelly was on one of twelve tv monitors in the local gym. The sound is always muted in the noisy gym, so I’ve never heard her voice, but I took an immediate, visceral dislike to the little snit the moment I glanced up at her (even before I realized it was Fox). She has got a real “mean girl” look that brings me back to all the little know-it-alls I ever encounted in elementary school.

3. 15 halo
    January 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm

They can’t decide if Obama is a weak timid idiot or a cunning crafty dictator!

4. 26 Tulips
    January 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm

5. January 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

98.5% means 1.5% didn’t vote for Pres. Obama, or out of the 25000 that did caucus, that’s 375 people. So we should thank Cenk for illustrating just how great and powerful he and the emoLeft aren’t.

6. 43 halo
    January 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

HUFFPUFF CAN”T GET OVER THEIR HATE FOR PBO: Richard Cordray Recess Appointment May Paradoxically Help Banks. LIterally their headline!

• 44 nintendowii10
      January 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!! I thought they were pissed off BECAUSE President Obama didn’t recess appoint Richard Cordray, now they’re bitching that he did appoint Cordray and now that Cordray might be tied to big banks??

I swear I find more and more reasons to despise HuffnFluff every day!!!!

• 45 utaustinliberal
        January 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

It’s such a bloody shame to see how far into the gutter Huff Po has fallen. Arianna, always the troll for money sold her and her blogs credibility a while back. Ever since AOL bought that clap trap, they’ve turned into bottom feeders. I hear the CEO of AOL donated the max to the Romney campaign so no wonder Arianna and Howard Fineman who’s head of digital content or whatever allow such trash to filter through to the mainstream. Stay classy Arianna.

• 46 nintendowii10
          January 5, 2012 at 1:55 pm

She’s upset because her BFF Newt placed fourth in Iowa and is going down, and wants to take it out on the President!

• 47 donna dem 4 obama
          January 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

It was a bottom feeder long before she sold it. IMHO that place has been a declining cesspool since the day the President took his oath of office.

• 48 Pamela
            January 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

It has never appealed to me, never heard of it before 2008!

• 49 dotster3
            January 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Agree—-it has always been horrific—–always loaded with misleading, fear-mongering headlines. And stuffed to the gills with partisan hyperbole—–and “Obama did another bad, bad thing!” stories.

• January 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Agree Donna. Arianna jumped on the anti-Bush wagon (when it was safe) so she could earn some creds and make a LOT of money. Although she has never been sincere, the election of PBO caused her brain synapses to explode and her site’s been swirling in venom every since. In 2010, I made the decision to stay away from toxic sites for the good of my blood pressure and the preservation of my sanity and I have not looked back. I won’t even check out the fashions on her site. The whole place wreaks with poison.

• 51 tally
      January 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Well – it will, because it will save them from themselves.

• 52 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      January 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I don’t understand why you all keep reading her DIATRIBE if you can’t stand it. Why not just relieve yourself of the AGONY and not go there? Just a thought. Arianna Huffington is a Rethug in disguise like all the Emoleft pundits and journalist. They will never change. When they get their shiney white night in the Whitehouse then they will be full of glee and joy. Of course they won’t get their chance until 2017. :wink: Obama/Biden 2012

• January 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I’m with you, Keith. Every once in awhile I’ll get sent there by a link to an article that doesn’t name the source. I usually look at their article titles for grins before I leave — it’s The Enquirer of the Internet. A silly, ugly place. I leave without reading the linked to article, glad not to be drawn to read anything at all.

• January 5, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Keith, I used to spend an inordinate amount of time in the lead-up to the 2008 elections and after on that site, but as soon as it started going the way of sensatonal bacchanalian writings, misleading headlines, distortions, unclassiness and distasteful vile rhetoric,I departed pronto! I am proud to say that once I made the decision, I never looked back. And I mean never. It’s more than about 18 months now.

• 55 jeff
      January 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I couldn’t stop laughing in disbelief. I called them a bunch of koch snorting tea baggers and did a huge rant against them. I said I didn’t care if they posted my comment or not as I wanted the moderators to also know what I thought about their useless bs.

7. 56 ScottyUrb
    January 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

LOL – This is alreadys haping up to be a great year for Obama (and a tough year for his critics)!

8. January 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

roflamo @ that egg in the face moment. You’re cruel to those temper tantrumed kidz, chips.

9. 62 nintendowii10
    January 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

NANCY SMASH!!!!!

• 63 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      January 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm

ARE WE GOING TO PUT THE GAVEL BACK IN THE HANDS OF NANCY “SMASH” PELOSI? Get out the vote. Lets turn the House of Representatives back to BLUE!! Obama/Biden 2012

• January 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I just LOVE Nancy Pelosi. The DCCC is on it!! Sign up for the grassroots DCCC Rapid Response emails for alerts about actions and issues up to the minute.

(quote) One year from the 2012 election and with the House in play, the DCCC today launched a new, aggressive paid and grassroots “Drive for 25” radio campaign to hold 25 targeted Republicans accountable for protecting special interests instead of the middle class and for the ethics issues that plague an increasing number of House Republicans. The radio ads begin airing on Monday. As part of the DCCC’s “Drive for 25” campaign to win the House, the DCCC’s campaign will also include phone banks, web advertising, and live and automated calls.

Three recent polls show voters prefer to elect Democrats to Congress in 2012 over Republicans in a generic ballot. Democrats have more than 60 top notch candidates running in priority districts and more candidates will be announcing in the weeks ahead…..(endquote)

• 65 Judith Fardig
        January 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Does anyone know which Democrat is going to run to unseat Michele Bachmann in MN? We HAVE to get rid of her!!

10. January 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

milbank – The grin he wore when he boarded remained throughout the flight — even when he entered and exited the lavatory.

Ouch

11. 80 AnitaW
    January 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I think this is going to be a beautiful day.

12. 82 Ladyhawke
    January 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Stephen Colbert is hilarious..

Colbert skewers cable news coverage of Iowa caucuses

==========================================

On last night’s Colbert Report, Stephen congratulated his colleagues in cable news for their coverage of the 2012 Iowa caucus results. He saluted the Fox News team’s willingness to soldier on in spite of the loss of all “basic mental functions” like speech and the ability to operate a calculator.

13. 95 TrumpDog
    January 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm

One moment to brag, please.
    I just figured how to save pictures on my iPad. Now when I come here, I can save the wonderful pictures of my president posted here and put them on my slideshow, lock screen and home page. So convenient for me. I love it!

I just need to find the one of the president in the rain. That one is gorgeous.

14. January 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Cordray could be a force in Dem politics – he could run for Ohio senate in 2016, run for Ohio Gov in 2014 and from there he could potentially look at the White House. He’s only 53, he could turn into a real player for us going forward. Or he could be a SCOTUS nomination.

• January 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Good thoughts, saintroscoe. I see President Obama doing so much for the Democratic Party, building structure and innovative ways to campaign. He got Elizabeth Warren involved in a high profile way that supported her entry in the Senate. I appreciate the heads up about Cordray. I didn’t realize that about him.

15. 108 lola
    January 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I love how people are trying to change what the constituti­on saying, that to be president you have to have both parents born in America or have both parents be US citizens becasue that is what the founding fathers intended. If that is so then why didn’t they stop these guys when running or being president.­…

Thomas Jefferson‘­­s mother was born in England
    Andrew Jackson‘s parents were both born in Ireland
    James Buchanan had an Irish father
    Chester A. Arthur had an Irish father
    Woodrow Wilson‘s mother was English
    Herbert Hoover had a Canadian-b­­orn mother

Oh I get it because its NOT KENYA

16. 124 nintendowii10
    January 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m getting tired of reading the emoprog lies over the NDAA and “indefinite detention…” and we have “experts” like Cenk Uygar and Glenn Greenwald to thank for that!

17. January 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Remember early in the Obama Administration when some gob went on Fox News and said that the military would have to intervene and basically tell PBO what was what? Seeing all that brass standing behind the President makes me think that, yes, everyone knows what is what, and it wasn’t the military that was in the director’s chair.

18. 134 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 5, 2012 at 1:55 pm

LMAO @ these firebagging grifters. They’re so greedy for a buck that they say whatever drivel somebody will pay them for — they don’t have to be right or factual, they just have to say it.

• 136 Linda
      January 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Geesh that photo is really poor photoshopping.

• 137 Mary
      January 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I think the writer is correct. These folks will not move back to center. Why should they? If the President loses I assume that other extremists will be elected to Congress. What would stand in their way? We have a Tea Partyist mayor who was just elected. She is not backing off; in fact she is being more extreme. This election is not something to play around with.

• 139 a4alice
      January 5, 2012 at 2:54 pm

will do.

• 140 isonprize
      January 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I’m one to not even entertain this thought. Too much energy expended on “What if he loses” is energy that can be spent on “Let’s make sure he wins.”

• 141 dotster3
        January 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I tend to agree. I don’t like planting the idea of the possibility of Obama losing.

• January 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I disagree – more people need to think about what happens the day after the inauguration. If a Republican is in the Oval Office, we’ve already heard Mitt talking about repealing Obamacare(s) on Day One (even though he can’t). We’ve heard Santorum say that on Day One, he will immediately end the Iran nuclear threat – only way he does that is to strike without thinking or planning. We know that there are just enough Blue Dogs and other weak Democrats who will never stand up and obstruct the GOP agenda, since they keep uniting with them to stab President Obama in the back (Gitmo, Iran sanctions).

We’ve also seen what the Republicans are willing to do, in the face of extreme protest by the American people. Take Wisconsin, and how they keep saying their acting on the will of the American people, except the ones who are protesting to tell them not to do what they’re doing. Those people are dirty and lazy and should get a job, take a bath, etc. They’ve called First Responders and public workers “lazy parasites”. They are now threatening to raise taxes on the 160 million working Americans, to teach President Obama a lesson for having the audacity to think he was President (Leader of the Free World) by “defying the Republicans” – effectively, shooting the hostage in the leg or chopping off his finger and sending it back in an envelope.

People need to think about these things. It’s not going to be pretty.

• 143 edp4bho
        January 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

As I step in here infrequently lately, “Let’s make sure he wins” is a better use of energy. So agree !

• January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Isonprize, hear,hear. Apart from the fact that the Prez will be fine, and everyone around the world will want him for some reason or other-a true President of the World, the most unfortunate part will be that the American people will be screwed, as well as global world!
        Nah, let’s move forward,and NOT spread that around,thanks.

• 145 Eleroy
          January 6, 2012 at 3:18 am

Triply hear, hear!!! No gloom and doom what if’s for me!!! Moving right on forward with spreading all the great things this great president has done inspite of the unprecedented obstruction from every direction!!! I refuse to plant seeds of fear and doubt that will only serve to immobilize!!!

President Obama deserves a second term NOT because the alternaive will be worse, but because this President has been PHENOMENAL!!!

19. 147 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Look at all that military brass up there with our Commander in Chief. Kinda makes that rogue soldier on stage with Uncle Ron look puny.

• 148 JoJothecat
      January 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

PBO looks like a true leader….leading the military, not like the GOP waiting for the military to TELL them what to do! They have their nerve saying PBO leads from behind when that’s what GWB did for eight years. The neocons ran everything and told Bush what to do.

• January 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm

This is a good point. Romney says he’s going to take all his marching orders from the military, if he becomes Commander-in-Chief, and he has the audacity to say that President Obama doesn’t lead?

• 150 Lovepolitics2008
        January 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

PBO is an absolutely OUTSTANDING leader. Brilliant, knowledgeable, courageous, visionnary. He listens to advice but is able to ask the difficult questions and question old paradigms.

That may sound like hyperbole, but if we take into account the complexity of his job in the 21th century, the damage left by his predecessor, the numerous crisis he has had to confront both in domestic and foreign policy, and the toxic political environment he has to deal with, I think Barack Obama is the best president ever in the history of the USA. Or at least he’s right there with Lincoln and FDR.

He has to be re-elected. America and the World need him. Badly.

• January 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm

No hyperbole – just facts. I wholeheartedly agree! I keep saying that if he’s not re-elected, then I’ll go back to Canada. But, the truth is, there is nowhere in the world where the consequences of US decisions doesn’t touch. The world isn’t safe with the GOP at the helm. They’re entirely dangerous, and I’m not being overly dramatic. If they can treat their citizens and their President with such disrespect, and they basically spit on any other country, then there is no safe harbor.

President Obama isn’t just the better option. He’s an excellent President, and the product of his good work ripples through out the world. Look at the way that the GOP-equivalent in Australia even called him the President of the World, and the way people just seem more hopeful and happy when he’s around – all over the world, including world leaders (at least, the ones who aren’t being deposed for dictatorship). He is a good influence. And the world is lucky to have him.

20. 152 Ladyhawke
    January 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

ROMNEY WALKS INTO THE CFPB TRAP WITHOUT ANY COAXING

The GOP knee jerk reaction to be against everything that President Obama is for continues to bite them in the arse. Since President Obama is always on the right side of the issues, they just look unhinged and out of touch with the American people. So what’s it going to be Mitt Romney? Protect the predatory lenders or protect the middle class? Ok, we’ll put you down for protect the predatory lenders. Check.

=====================================================

When Mitt Romney blasted the president for “Chicago-style politics at its worst,” it offered Obama for America Press Secretary Ben LaBolt the opportunity to say exactly what he wanted to say: “By opposing the appointment of Richard Cordray to run the first-ever consumer watchdog bureau, Mitt Romney today stood with predatory lenders and Republicans in Congress over the middle class. He doubled down on his promise to eliminate the Wall Street watchdog and allow Wall Street to write its own rules again, leaving consumers vulnerable to hidden fees, financial traps and excessive risk taking that will hit their pocketbooks. Governor Romney has made clear he has not learned the lessons of the economic crisis, instead, he’s giving the most irresponsible financial actors a bright green light to pursue profit at any cost to communities across America.”

=====================================================

• 153 FiredUpInCA
      January 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for this link Ladyhawke. I like this comment from the link:

sparrow on January 05, 2012 9:09 AM:

Republicans complain about Obama leading from behind whatever the hell that means), and when he steps in front and makes the recess appointsments, they still piss and moan. It’s in their nature.

• 154 TrumpDog
      January 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

BAM!

Or should I say “O-BAM-A!!!!

• 155 utaustinliberal
      January 5, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Romney is such a bloody idiot. That was such a dumb trap to walk into. He claims that he alone wants to look out for the middle and working class. The fuck you say? Then why would he be opposed to the CFPB which looks out for said middle and working class? Then adding that insulting “Chicago style politics” as code for gangster politics was just low. I’m going to enjoy PBO mopping the floor with this sorry SOB come Nov. 6, 2012.

• 156 Ladyhawke
        January 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

The article below is about Willard criticizing President Obama for his recess appointments to the NRLB. The article is the usual swill that Willard spouts. But the best part is the picture of Willard and McCain at that pathetic town hall yesterday. Check out the photo and let me know what your caption would be for John McCain.

I think I’m going to go with “YOU FILP FLOPPING LIAR, I HATE YOU”. I’m only doing this because I hate President Obama and Rick Santorun more than I hate you. Get the lead out. I got some clouds I need to yell at. And by the way get off my lawn.

Mitt Romney blasts Obama for appointing ‘union stooges’ to NLRB

• January 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm

McOld: ” Mealy mouth bastard! Can’t f-ing believe I have to stand on this stage with this fricking draft dodger! F-ing repug establishment, telling me what to f-ing do……… meyeah, meyeah.” :x

• 158 57andFemale
      January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Next to TOD, I honestly don’t know what I’d do without Steve Benen and Washington Monthly.

21. 159 nintendowii10
    January 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Another professional left falling from grace!

• January 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm

karma is a such sweet vengeful beeyotch. :)

• 161 AnitaW
      January 5, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for Olbermann. He is one big ego waiting to get busted.

• 163 donna dem 4 obama
      January 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

You see for me my revenge was to stop watching him. I turned him off in 2009 and only for the one exception the day that Gabby was shot I haven’t look back. Once they lose enough of our viewership they come back down to earth. Keith is an egomaniac and he has had “issues” everywhere he has worked. You would think that at some point he would look at himself and understand that his pompus, self righeouness may be character flaws but that will never happen because no matter where he lands he will continue to have his following blowing his already big head up even bigger.

• 165 QuietObserver
      January 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Ste-riiiike four! (for those keeping score) I think he should get out of TV, off of Twitter, and just stick to writing occasional sports columns. Being a media centerpiece obviously hasn’t worked out for him.

• 166 Cha
      January 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thanks for that, nintendowii..I spent some time there..reading the comments and commenting, too.

22. 167 Ladyhawke
    January 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

MINORITY LEADER NANCY PELOSI

No Surprise Here: House GOP Out of Session on One Year Anniversary in Majority with No Jobs Agenda

======================================

Today marks one year since Republicans took control of the House. We’ve got work to do, but the Republican House is marking the occasion by staying out of session while Americans are out of work.

Did the House GOP spend their time this year delivering a jobs agenda? Not even close. All the middle class got was:

======================================

23. 168 Rita
    January 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Andrew Sullivan sees through Mitt – http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/01/the-strangeness-of-mitt-romney.html. “I once noted that Romney made plastic look real. ” McCain endorsing him is being touted as a big deal – this is someone who thought Sarah Palin (remember her?) was fit to be VP!

• January 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Why no one on our side should be afraid of Mittens. The closing graf from Sully’s piece:

This is a very weak candidate. Some believe that he has had trouble getting past 25 percent outside New Hampshire because of his flip-floppery or moderation. I suspect many Republican voters just realize he is their John Kerry. Because he is. Without the ideological consistency.

• 170 isonprize
      January 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Okay, Sully is making sense today. But why, then, did he “endorse” Ron Paul? That’s make absolutely no sense to me.

• 171 AnitaW
      January 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I still don’t understand why Sully would gush about Ron Paul. Given his LBGT stance with the Obama Administration how does he reconcile his praise of Ron Paul. The same goes for Rachel Maddow. I just don’t get it.

• January 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I’m with you Anita, very puzzled about all of this – Rachel has been very unforgiving about PBO’s personal views on gay marriage, even though he is now working towards ending DOMA (not to mention all the other things he’s done, including ending DADT). But Ron Paul is cool, despite being a complete homophobe? Bizarre.

• 174 Cha
      January 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Michael Moore is a hypocrite and a damn profiteering liar. A big phony who has suckers regurgitating his ugly spiel. He says it “doesn’t do any good to vote”..they’ve “tried that”. Stupid pompous creep.

Thanks for the link, Chips.

• January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

That dismal looking and unappealing “hippie” photo of Michael Moore, obviously taken when he was much younger, does him much too much justice based on the sloppy- looking, overbearing charlatan that he is today.

24. 176 JoJothecat
    January 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I wonder who will finance and go see his poorly made docu-drama now..he’s pissed of 50% of the 99% (the other 50% barely like him anyway) and 100% of the 1%.

25. 177 Ladyhawke
    January 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

McCain slams Gingrich for calling Romney a liar

====================================

John McCain came to the rescue of his new best friend Mitt Romney again today, bashing Newt Gingrich for describing the former Massachusetts governor as a liar.

“I don’t think it’s appropriate to call your opponent a liar,” McCain said on CBS’ Early Show. “That’s just something we don’t do in politics unless you certainly have some overwhelming proof.”

Includes bonus DemRapidResponse video: McCain on Romney: Which Mitt is He Endorsing?

====================================

26. January 5, 2012 at 2:54 pm

January 05, 2012 10:50 AM

Meet Donny Box
    By Steve Benen

When it comes to Mitt Romney’s background at Bain Capital, we tend to think about the layoffs in the abstract. Romney orchestrated leveraged buyouts, flipping companies quickly for large profits, at the expense of thousands of workers who were considered collateral damage.

But the story has a greater impact when we shift away from the thousands and towards the individual victims. Randy Johnson, for example, who lost his job in the ’90s when Romney took over American Pad & Paper (Ampad), has been an active critic of the Republican. Johnson told reporters this week, “I really feel that he didn’t care about the workers. It was all about profit over people.”

But Johnson isn’t the only one. MoveOn.org released a new ad this morning featuring steel worker and Army veteran Donny Box, who lost his job of 32 years at Kansas City’s GST after Romney’s firm took it over.

27. 183 Ladyhawke
    January 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Pelosi Accuses House GOP of “Destroying American Jobs”

Washington, DC
    Thursday, January 5, 2012

To mark the one year anniversary of the GOP takeover of the U.S. House, Democratic leaders held a press briefing on jobs and the economy.

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said that the Republicans are “leading the House of Representatives without a jobs agenda.”

In an issues statement, Rep. Pelosi claims that Republican leaders have not passed legislation creating jobs and instead, have destroyed nearly 2 million jobs.

28. January 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

January 05, 2012 2:50 PM

George Will’s descent
    By Steve Benen

George Will has struggled for quite some time when dealing with climate policy, but his latest piece, arguing that global warming is part of an elaborate collectivist plot, is really out there.

Because progressivism exists to justify a few people bossing around most people and because progressives believe that only government’s energy should flow unimpeded, they crave energy scarcities as an excuse for rationing — by them — that produces ever-more-minute government supervision of Americans’ behavior. […]

An all-purpose rationale for rationing in its many permutations has been the progressives’ preferred apocalypse, the fear of climate change.

Jon Chait explains that Will happens to be “out of his gourd.”

29. January 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Their will be 600 billion dollars less revenue, by 2015, under Romneys new tax plan!

Wow! What a mess!

January 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm

You can tweet @iowademocrats to thank IDP Chair Sue Dvorsky and her team for bringing out the 7,500 volunteers and helping PBO earn that 98.5% of delegates!

Forget “999” – we’ve got our new first figure: 9-8-5!!!!

Sue was great at the Iowa J-J Dinner – where Rahm spoke – and great on caucus night in front of the cameras!

• 187 a4alice
      January 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

really? thx jackqueb will do!

• January 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

She’s a great spokesperson as well. She was so consistent and on message on the Chris Hayes show on caucus night that Chris shut her off. He mumbled something about he had to end her interview there was new numbers to report. There was no update. It was after 1 am and he went on to report the same numbers of Santorum up by 4.

31. January 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

GM has fixed the chevy Volt battery problems.
    It recommends, that if you own a Volt, return it to a Dealer, and they will repair the problem.
    NHTSA says the corrections GM has made, will correct the problem!

32. 190 Ladyhawke
    January 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Not Your Father’s Republican Party

This is no longer your father’s Republican Party — and if the nomination contest does resemble in many ways its predecessors, with an obvious heir apparent, Romney, trying to fend off the anti-establishment forces just like Ford in 1976, Bush in 1988 and McCain in 2008, it also has a very different tone and coloration that may have interesting implications for the fall. The fact is that the dinosaur moderate Republican wing of the party has no home right now. Obama will make a pitch for them by emphasizing the rogue, insurgent right-wing elements of their party that create litmus tests on taxes, climate change and immigration that are anathema to moderates. The Republican nominee will try to call on their tribal instincts and inclination to still identify with their team. And Americans Elect, the organization with anonymous donors that could put an as-yet-unidentified candidate on the ballot in all 50 states, will try to serve as a spoiler and lure them away from both parties.

33. 191 ChristiMTL
    January 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I didn’t know that Bain was rescued with a federal bailout of 10 millions.

I never saw this ad, it’s 17 years old, ……This ad was never aired during the 1994 campaign

34. 193 auni
    January 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Tally–I always respect what you have to say. I am staying away from HuffPo, but am wondering what are some of your favorite sites?

35. 195 auni
    January 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Bain got a 10 million dollar bailout!!!!!! Good Lord!!! Hope everyone hears that. Thanks CristiMTL.

36. January 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Rep King said his Homeland Security committee is probing whether DOD, CIA leaked information to filmmakers about Bin Laden!

This movie to come out in October!

Lol!

• January 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Is he going to investigate whether Michele Bachmann leaked any secret information during the course of her ill-fated run for President?

37. January 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Woot!

Jan. 19 fundraiser at the Apollo Theater in Harlem with President Obama: “The event, benefiting the DNC-Obama re-elect “Victory Fund,” will feature performances from Al Green and India.Arie, according to the invitation.”

• 200 Linda
      January 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

oh Wow…. The OTHER Rev. Al……love him too.

• January 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

This is great news, but we were told that the stars and Hollywood were abandoning PBO. I think I saw somthing on the previous thread where PBO’s friend Hill Harper is also throwing a fundraising party.

• 202 isonprize
      January 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Al Green was my first “big” concert, back in the day. That man KNOWS how to perform!!! Whoooooooot. I wish I could afford to take the time (and spend to money) to attend. That is gonna be big fun!!

• 203 Cha
      January 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm

This makes me all verklempt with JOY! Mahalos, Chips~

• January 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

WOW! PBO is blowing these idiots with MEGA-fundraisers!!!!

WOOOOOOTTtttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. January 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Paul raised 13 million this quarter!

Lol!

39. January 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Cenk and the PL really, really, really wanted to create a narrative out of Iowa that Obama was weakened. I really believe they’ve overestimated their impact. Most Democrats like Obama and will vote for him no matter what come 2012.

But because they all kind of operate inside a vacuum of sorts, they don’t get that message – they don’t hear it. They only hear the same yapping people over and over again who continually show their displeasure with the president.

Unfortunately for them (and fortunately for the president), they’re just a very vocal minority. No different than the guy who grabs the bullhorn and stands in the middle of a crowded town square yelling away. Just because he’s the loudest opinion you hear doesn’t mean what he’s saying is a majority.

It isn’t.

So, they overshot their grounds here. I have no doubt Cenk really thought this movement could pull in 10-20-30% support and they could point to it as proof they’re right and, well, we’re all wrong – a huge number of Democrats just don’t like Obama!

Well 98% sounds about right. These assholes are the 2%.

• 212 57andFemale
      January 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

The Repubs crowed when Bush got 4,000 turnout in IA in 2004 when he was unopposed. Obama drew 25,000.

STFU, Cenk.

I used to flip to Keith every once in awhile, although it was OWS and its various outrages every day. But when Al Gore hired Cenk, I stopped.

• January 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I also use to peek at KO everyday 57and Female just to see what he was saying, and to see the worst persons segment. I could no longer take the OWS obsession, therefore I took his show off my dvr. It was to much for me. He had Michael Moore on way to much for me also.

• 214 Lovepolitics2008
        January 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

You know what angers me? The fact that Al Gore, who suffered the effects of “Naderism” , is giving a platform to PLers who are playing the same game of constantly attacking the democratic candidate for 2012. Gore is giving the best time slots to the PL. He should know better. But yeah,,,, it’s always about money and ratings…

Strange that the media people even outside big corporate MSM just aim for the vocal hard left. President Obama has a very high approval rate among liberals and moderate democrats so there is a huge potential of viewership that could be tapped into with some programming featuring pragmatic democrats. Just look at the success of Reverend Al…

• January 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Very well said, Irishman! I really feel the more we add our calm, enthusiastic, Obama-supporting voice into the mix, the more we are heard. United we stand. Obama/Biden 2012!! House majority!!! Speaker Nancy Pelosi!! More Democrats than ever in the Senate! Fired up, ready to go!!!

• January 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Agreed. Too many angry leftists getting airtime to trash the administration. It’s why I loved MSNBC having on Debbie Wasserman Schultz during the caucus. She’s a great Obama surrogate, which is funny, because she was a huge Clinton supporter in the primaries!

• 217 Cha
      January 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Drunken Irishman.. And, a Big Hello to you! Damn Profiteering “left”..and throw Michael Moore in there too.

40. 219 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
    January 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I AM SO PROUD OF OUR DUTIFUL PRESIDENT. LOOK AT HIM IN THE PENTAGON WITH ALL THE TOP BRASS (GENERALS AND ADMIRALS) FLANKING HIM ON EITHER SIDE. HOW POWERFUL AND MAJESTIC. WE MUST RE-ELECT THIS MAN FOLKS. YES WE CAN!! CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN TO OUR BUCKEYE RICHARD CORDRAY AND HIS APPOINTMENT TO HEAD THE CFPB. WHAT A GREAT WAY TO START THE YEAR MR. PRESIDENT. :grin: KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

41. 221 dotster3
    January 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I have been loving Martin Bashir program, but today he allowed our bud, Buddy Roemer, to screech at President Obama about all the money in our political campaigns. I agree that spending in our campaigns is out of control—-I wish our campaigns lasted a couple months and everyone got the same few thousand dollars to make their case. But——what does Roemer want President Obama to do, given the present state, the horrible Citizens United ruling etc.? Just refuse all funds and allow opponents to make every false charge against him with no means to respond, or to spread the truth about his policies and record? Bashir allowed Roemer to go on and on with no reasonable challenge, inserting no reality into Roemer’s loud complaints.

• January 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

The thing with Citizens United is that the GOP 3rd party groups outspent Dem 3rd party groups upwards of 7-to-1, so there is no way the GOP in Congress will ever move to over turn it now. The only chance we have to over turn it would be for the Dems to beat the GOP in 3rd party money or at least fight to a draw – then the GOP might be open to campaign finance reform.

• 223 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
        January 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

That will never happen SR. We will just have to out hustle them on the ground. The Rethugs have Corporate America in their back pocket so they will always have a huge advantage with outside PAC monies. It is what it is.

• January 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Yeah – I think the Republicans need to see more of the Santorum-Romney type of number crunching, where Santorum spent pennies for every $150 spent by Romney to effectively buy votes. They will learn eventually that the community organizing approach actually makes a difference. Look at what happened to Meg Whitman, who wanted to be governor of California and spent a billion of her own money – only to lose spectacularly. An informed electorate can’t be bought.

• January 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

true. I was watching it. Ridiculous!

• 226 Linda
      January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I saw that too.

Romer is a fraud…..He is trying to get the Americans Elect nomination.

• 228 TrumpDog
      January 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I saw it as well.
      Wen did the president promise he would not take PAC money – therefore changing America? Cuz I must have missed that one.

42. January 5, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I haven’t even read the comments on this post. I feel compel though to share how funny I find this Dana Milbank piece. I read it as a comedy. I’m starting to doubt the inevitability of Willard being the nominee more and more. I don’t think that he will be able to handle scrutiny or criticism in front of the public. If he’s the one standing after all the others have been voted off the island; it’s a matter of when not if when he has his “that one” moment.

BTW: Happy New Year TOD! It’s going to be a great year. I can feel it. Oh yeah…

• 230 57andFemale
      January 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Yeah. Then there’s the moronic piece by Nicholas Kristof (and he is not a moron and should know better) that Romney has a moderate soul and would revert to that moderate soul if elected.

Holy, shit, Nick. Romney has no soul, no moral compass, no compassion. He will do what the tea party tells him to do. To me, he is worse than Santorum or Gingrich. I actually think Gingrich would have a moment of, “Oh, shit, what have I done?” before he bombed Iran. Romney wouldn’t give it a second thought.

• 231 Cha
        January 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

That article says everything about Kristof and nothing about Romney. That’s not the only moronic piece I read of his. Awhile back he some disingenuous aritlce about President Obama’s base deserting him.

“A moderate”? mittoinette kochead? Freakin’ Kristof needs to wake the fuck up and buy a clue.

43. January 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

The unemployment rate is expected to have edged up to 8.7 percent last month, from 8.6 percent in November, as some Americans who had given up their search for work were lured back into the market, according to a Reuters survey.

Great! Not!

44. 236 Tulips
    January 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

• 237 FiredUpInCA
      January 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm

“China, Iran’s biggest trade partner, has already cut its purchases of Iranian oil by more than half this month and will extend the cuts to February, a Beijing-based trader who deals with Iranian oil said.

Japan will consider cutbacks in its Iranian oil purchases to secure a waiver from new U.S. sanctions signed into law on New Year’s Eve by President Barack Obama, a government source said.

Between them, China, the EU and Japan buy about half of Iran’s exports of 2.6 million barrels of oil per day.

International sanctions that for years had little effect are for the first time having a real impact on day-to-day life in Iran, where the rial currency has tumbled and people have rushed to convert savings into dollars.”

• 238 AnitaW
        January 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Okay, this is a BFD. We will have to wait and see. It sounds as if Iran is going the saber-rattling route, but they may pull back from the edge.

• January 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Iran has speed boats in its navy. Let them sabre-rattle all they want. The last time they went up against a USN task force in the late 80s it didn’t turn out too well for them.

• 240 AnitaW
            January 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I hope you are right about this because I’m so sick of Iran and North Korea. They take up so much energy when we need our focus on Pakinstan.

• 241 Lovepolitics2008
        January 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Very good news. The effort to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons is extremely important. It’s not just about Iran. IT’s about avoiding a whole nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

45. 242 57andFemale
    January 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

EVERYONE needs to read the Washington Monthly pieces on “What if Obama loses” and the Jonathan Bernstein article.

Send this to every alleged progressive you know (including Michael Moore and his other idiotic cohorts).

My new mantra: it’s okay to vote because the other guys are bad, even if MLK or Bobbie Kennedy aren’t our candidates. It’s desperately important to vote AGAINST the most dangerous Republican party in history. It’s noble, it wins elections, it moves us in the right direction.

Republicans NEVER stay home — they vote their hate, no matter how unattractive their candidates are. It’s how they changed America over the last 30 years.

To not vote in this election is tantamount to treason, because you will have helped destroy the country. Even if I bought into Obama’s alleged flaws (and you guys know that I don’t), voting against this dangerous Republican party is critical.

• 243 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      January 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thanks 57. It was suggested by Blackwaterdog to make this article viral. I guess you all are saying fear motivates? If that’s what it takes to GOTV so be it. Personally I will use my energies on helping to re-elect President Obama.

46. January 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Greetings Everyone

Great to share in all this good news.

I hope we can all follow a tradition of using the blog to encourage folks to join OFA. We also need to share stories of what we are doing. OFA is a wonderful organization and the folks who participate share my values and are fun to hang out with.

Last night we had a 4 hour meeting at my house. We planned our January events – 2 phone banks to folks in Nevada, a voter registration on MLK day, 1-2 folks attending the Nevada Caucus in the Reno area and then a SOTU watch party / potluck held at our leaders house on 1/24.

Doesn’t that sound like fun?

To join your local OFA visit barackobama.org and access 2 links

Volunteer Now – https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/become-a-volunteer?source=primary-nav

or
    Fina an Event near you – https://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_simple?source=primary-nav

If you have questions post your state, your email and someone here can help you connect with a group in your area.

When others on this blog participate in an OFA event, let us know. We are inspired by your efforts and it motivates us to get out of the house, get on the phone and get out into the community.

• 246 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      January 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks WIW. Love for us OFAers to continue our journey and spread the GOOD WORD.

• 247 sjterrid
      January 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I went to a Gen44/OFA event in Cherry Hill, NJ on Tuesday. It was well attended and there were a lot of people that signed on to volunteer. They’re also having a STOU watch party.

47. January 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm

The new 1% is the emoleft!

48. January 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Damn, with the Pro Left, it’s getting to be like shooting fish in a barrel. I almost feel bad for them, until I remember that they are sabotaging the best American president in my lifetime with their bogus memes.

• 252 Cha
      January 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Equally as bad..they are sabotaging our Country and every one of its people who actually care about Democracy.

49. 253 dotster3
    January 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm

• 254 dotster3
      January 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Nuts—–I thought I might finally be successful at being able to repost a tweet—–but I flunk again, head hangs low.
      Anyhoo—-I thought this was interesting news—–Obama admin. continuing to tread and forge partnerships where no former Dems dared tread. I like that the PGA is joining Solis for the summer job summit—–looking for caddies and other golf course employees—–opportunities for young people.

50. January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Gosh Isonprize, you are on my page today. I have been giving Andrew Sullivan a perched eyebrow for a little while now, just a quick scroll now through his blog, as opposed to before, plus his Ron Paul fascination/endorsement really hasn’t sat well with me at all! Additionally, why doesn’t he just write his column? Why does he need to constantly refer to pundits argument all through HIS blog? I feel like I am not reading his thoughts on his blog (am I making sense?) I almost feel it’s young Conor what’s his face that chooses his material.

51. January 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Biden will give a Webcast to NH primary volunteers, on Tuesday!

52. January 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Nice personal attack.
    Thanks Keith!!!

• 269 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      January 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Its not a personal attack. I love you Jovie. You bring a lot of information to the site and keep us motivated. Your 1% Emoprog joke was fantastic. :grin:

• January 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I deleted it Jovie. Keith? Please read the ‘house rules’ from last night, no personal attacks on other people here PLEASE. Leave the moderating to me, thanks.

• 275 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
          January 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Okay Jovie and thanks Chips. I have read the rules again. I guess we all have different personalites in our TOD family. I just have to tolerate the more “shock value” type of posts in our threads/blogs. It is all good. We are all on the same team and wanting the same results. I respect the work you are doing down there in Florida Jovie just as you have complimented me on my work here in Ohio. What it all boils down to is………….YES WE CAN AGAIN!! Keep Hope Alive!! Obama/Biden 2012

53. January 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

LITTLETON, NH — After being battered in the Iowa caucuses, Newt Gingrich pledged to go about “defining Romney out of the mainstream of the Republican party.” In New Hampshire on Thursday, he began to demonstrate just what that meant.

At a senior center in Plymouth, Gingrich’s debuted an extended riff bashing “Massachusetts moderate Mitt Romney” for straying from conservative principles as governor.

Among the ills Gingrich cited: Romney “appointed liberal judges to appease Democrats” and “put Planned Parenthood in Romneycare by name.”

• January 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The only thing I worry about with Newt’s attacks is that he will use all the best material, and the media will tell everyone to ignore all the facts, because it’s all coming from a jaded person, leaving Romney free to skate past his past.

• January 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I think it’s the wrong state for these attacks. NH is his home state and they will rally around him no matter what is said about him. These attacks should have been used in Iowa or saved for S.Carolina and beyond. Newt is wasting money going after Romney in NH – just use the nationally televised debates to do it, and save the newspaper ad money for S.Carolina.

54. 301 Tracy
    January 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Very moving video, Letters to Michelle Obama from Michelle ObamaWatch by a 16 year old (in 2008) and what Michelle and Barack Obama mean to her.

55. January 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm

56. 318 collegekay
    January 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

57. 323 dotster3
    January 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This Robert Trayham, the MSNBC consultant, is an African American openly gay Republican who worked for Santorum for 10 years!!!!!?????? Please, someone, explain this to me. Isn’t that like hitting yourself on the head with a steel bar—–thousands of times?

58. 328 LOL
    January 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

GRAB YOUR POPCORN PEOPLE….ITS GETTING GOOOOOOOD. It’s Politico—so I won’t linky.

House Republicans aren’t looking for another bloody battle on the payroll tax. They don’t think it’s worth stepping into the ring with President Barack Obama during his 2012 crusade against Congress.

But they are willing to fight each other — over policy, strategy and leadership.

A year to the day since Ohio’s John Boehner and 87 eager freshmen took Washington by storm, House Republicans are bruised from battle, irritated with each other and have lost trust in their leadership.

The president whose agenda they came to Washington to stop is vowing to spend the year scoring political points against Republicans now, and they don’t have much leverage against him.

Now, they’re trying to figure out how to revamp their agenda to find much needed political and policy victories in advance of the November election.

But the first few weeks of 2012 are brimming with issues that could trip up the GOP majority.

House Republicans first have to deal with a yearlong payroll tax extension, and they’re already promising to be flexible in the quest to get it out of the way. They’re almost certain to run into fiery conservative lawmakers still angry over the short term bill GOP leaders jammed through Congress before Christmas.

They’ll also have to contend with a growing deficit of trust between the rank and file and leadership — something that’s expected to come to a head at the party’s retreat in Baltimore later this month.

All told, the House Republicans are going into 2012 weaker and more divided than when they took control of the chamber a year ago

• January 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I’m melting the butter for the popcorn.

• January 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Let’s not forget that they have virtually no public support left for their radical agenda. This Republican led congress is hated and people are sick of their antics. More infighting is just what they need to seal their ugly impression in the public mind so I hope they go at it tooth and nail. I wish the Democratic press conference today would get more play because the optics of the Democrats ready to work with the Republicans still on vacation were wonderful.

• 336 Debz
        January 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I have noticed, any time the Weeper and his posse do a press conf, it appears on national and local news. I have never seen any of the dem press conferences. Not once, so it won’t get any play, sadly.

• January 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

What’s even more beautiful is that it highlights the fact that Congress really is NOT in session, so the GOP don’t have a leg to stand on with the President’s recess appointment, when it comes to arguing this in front of the American people. They won’t have time to listen about technicalities – they’re not at work, and are taking the month off. That’s a recess.

• 338 LunarSea
      January 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

This is what keeping an eye on the north star and not reacting to every bit of spin and whimsy gets you. I’m with PBO because he’s in it for the long run.

Could you imagine the ammunition they would have now if Pres. Obama reacted the way the emoprogs wanted him to every time something didn’t go his way? Instead 9% congressional approval and in fighting like we are not used to seeing from this party.

I’m loving it.

• 339 Eleroy
        January 6, 2012 at 5:01 am

EXACTLY!!!

These armchair instructors have no clue and plain short-sighted, dumb and reactionary!!!
        That is why they lose and will continue to lose over and over again!!!

• 340 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      January 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I’ve got Orville Reddenbacher packaged and ready to throw in the microwave with my “I can’t believe its not butter” ready to spread over it. :grin:

• January 5, 2012 at 6:38 pm

So I guess working with Pelosi to find good faith compromises to help America isn’t an option for them?

59. 342 ChristiMTL
    January 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm

TheLastWord The Last Word
    Big show tonight. @CFPB’s Richard Cordray joins us. Plus @frankrichny, @MHarrisPerry, @howardfineman and Charlie Black. Tune in at 10pm ET.

• 343 ChristiMTL
      January 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I was so impressed by him today…..highly intelligent, calm,

• 344 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
        January 5, 2012 at 6:36 pm

He exudes a lot of the characteristics of President Obama and Elizabeth Warren. We love Richard Cordray here in Ohio. I am really excited with the momentum we are carrying into the 2012.

60. 345 defytheodds
    January 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

• 346 Eleroy
      January 6, 2012 at 5:15 am

This is really, really GREAT news!!!

Congratulations Melissa and don’t let the Emoprogs destroy your show!!!

61. January 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Mitt Romney’s tax plan is more complex than those of his current and erstwhile primary competitors. But in broad effect it accomplishes the conservative goal of dramatically lowering taxes on the wealthy at the expense of the lower and middle classes.

The Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center crunched the numbers — part of a series of analyses the group has done of the GOP candidates’ tax proposals — and found that the plan constitutes a major tax cut for wealthy Americans. But compared to today’s rates, Romney proposes effective tax increases for people making less than $40,000.

62. 348 Fred
    January 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

hiya TOD family.After they tried some shenanigans once again :roll: the insurance company has covered ALL of mom’s rehab for good :D

I hope everyone is doing well.I saw THIS on TPM and did a little bit of research while I had 10 minutes.
    If anyone can send this to the DNC pronto before this lie gets out of hand make my day.Please and THANK YOU :D
    I hope my TOD family is doing well.Thank you again Chip for this site.To my TOD family:THANK YOU for fighting for POTUS
    Until next time
    Fred ;)
    ————————

VIDEO/FACTS/LINKS: Romney: Obama Wants To Give Jobs To People Who Give Him The Green,Romney’s Spokesman Had To Deny Possible Conflict Of Interest In NLRB Criticisms After It Was Discovered That Romney Held $100K Boeing Stock Holdings

In South Carolina Thursday, Mitt Romney again attacked President Obama over his decision to use recess appointments to fill the NLRB. Romney is on solid ground attacking Obama over the NLRB in South Carolina, where a dispute over a Boeing plant has been a centerpiece of Republican rhetoric here.

Romney said Obama’s decision was about paying off his political allies.

————-

LINKS:

———–

VIDEO: Despite Romney’s $100K Boeing Stock Holdings, Spokesman Denies Possible Conflict Of Interest In NLRB Criticisms

As Mitt Romney steps up his attacks on the National Labor Relations Board for its decision to block Boeing from retaliating against striking workers by building a new plant in South Carolina, a new report from Bloomberg notes that the former Massachusetts governor owns a significant amount of stock in the Seattle-based aerospace corporation.

According to his recently-released personal financial disclosure form, Romney owns up to $100,000 in Boeing stock. Though Romney’s personal assets, which total between $190 million and $250 million, are managed by a blind trust which he does not control, its contents are listed on the Massachusetts Republican’s disclosure forms and are easy for anyone to find with a simple Google search.

Given the potential for a conflict of interest, ThinkProgress spoke with Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom about the Boeing matter. Ferhnstrom denied any possibility of impropriety, telling ThinkProgress that “[Romney's] personal investments are all in a blind trust. Those are investment decisions that are made by a trustee.” Fehrnstrom sidestepped the fact Romney doesn’t have to manage his own investments to know what’s in them, maintaining simply that there was “no” conflict of interest.

KEYES: One of the companies that [Romney] is actually largely invested in is Boeing. Do you think there’s a conflict of interest, given how outspoken he’s been about the NLRB decision in South Carolina?

FEHRNSTROM: [...] His personal investments are all in a blind trust. Those are investment decisions that are made by a trustee.

KEYES: But they’re easily Google-able. He can look up what’s in them.

FEHRNSTROM: What I will say about Boeing and the ruling of the NLRB with respect to the South Carolina plant is that this is another example of how the Obama administration is depressing job creation in this country and discarding the rule of law. [...]

KEYES: So no conflict of interest on Romney’s end here?

FEHRNSTROM: No. All of his investments are in a blind trust. He does not personally manage those. Those are managed by a trustee.

————–

Former Governor Romney Reports Assets of Up to $250 Million

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, seeking the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, is worth as much as $250 million, about the same as the last time he ran for president.

Romney, 64, founder of the Boston-based venture capital firm Bain Capital LLC, has assets of between $190 million and $250 million, his campaign said today as he filed his personal financial disclosure form with the U.S. Federal Election Commission. His assets are in a blind trust, said Gail Gitcho, a campaign spokeswoman.

Four years ago, Romney disclosed assets of up to $247 million as he spent $45 million of his own money on his unsuccessful bid for the Republican presidential nomination. He hasn’t used any of his own money for his current race. He raised $18.3 million through June 30, more than any other Republican candidate.

Romney reported taking in close to $375,000 in speaking fees, including $42,500 from London-based Barclays Plc. (BARC) A Barclays lobbyist, Patrick Durkin, raised $167,800 for Romney’s 2012 campaign, FEC records show. He also received more than $115,000 as a board member of Bethesda, Maryland-based Marriott International Inc.; he reported resigning that position in January.

His holdings include between $50,000 and $100,000 apiece in Boeing Co. (BA), Visa Inc. (V), and Bank of America Corp. (BAC)

Romney donated royalties from his book, “No Apologies,” to charity, the campaign said.

Federal disclosure forms list assets and holdings within ranges and don’t provide precise figures.

• January 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

They have a nerve – they’re saying that the Boeing decision is due to the Obama administration policies? Well, the truth is that Kansas is complaining because Boeing has received multiple tax cuts to entice them to stay in Kansas, and they’re still leaving – even though they just received billions in deals from their foreign travels with President Obama. So, this meme is totally false about President Obama, and is more an indictment on the GOP policies of tax cuts creating jobs, and even more specifically speaks to the fallacy of Santorum’s economic plan to give tax cuts to manufacturing companies to entice them to create jobs. Both are wrong.

• 351 LunarSea
      January 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Fred, so nice to hear that your family is doing good. May your mom continue to progress. Also good news about insurance. Sorry you had to fight them again. I thought it had been straightened out.

My best to you.

63. 355 collegekay
    January 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Anybody in DC and want to go see PBO?

Limited quantity of $100 tickets are available. I’m too broke to go. :(

64. January 5, 2012 at 6:08 pm

65. 357 nintendowii10
    January 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Capehart just said that if the emoprogs don’t vote or if are angry at Obama and cause President Willard to get elected, blame yoself…

Paraphrasing :wink:

66. January 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

67. 364 Brit
    January 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I am cheering on Newt for exposing Mitt. Go Newt!!

68. January 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm

PBO is a Presidential Machine:

WELCOME TO
    RUNWAY TO WIN FIRST ACCESS
    You’ll hear from us over the coming weeks with updates, sneak peeks, and exclusive offers.

In the meantime, keep your friends and family in the loop by sharing the site.

January 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Just saw this on FB, too. Presidential … plus crisp, fun, and up-to-date! Love my President and his campaign team!

69. January 5, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Twitter is en fuego.

• January 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I’ve been working on a project and away from twitter for a few hours but it seems like Santorum has tried to clarify his statement about not wanting to help improve black people’s lives by saying he said “blah” instead of “black”.

• January 5, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Yeah, I saw the clip of him trying to backpedal. Good. I hope he gets bloodied — but can still beat up on Mittens. I want to see a civil war on the Right that neuters it.

• January 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I could not believe he tried to disown what he said. One would have to be deaf to not hear that he said “black”. Someone in the audience said that’s right when he said it. Republicans are dishonest liars.

January 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm

He’s definitely lying. When he first said it, to make sure I’d heard it right, I quickly replayed it and heard it plus saw him mouth the word “blacks.” Now, he’s saying he only uses the term, “African Americans.” Yeah, probably in the sentence that goes something like, “I have friends who are African Americans,” or, Trump-like, “The African Americans like me.”

He said “blacks.”

70. 376 Linda
    January 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Alex Wagner is having Herman Cain on tomorrow…..she is just awful.

January 5, 2012 at 7:05 pm

And I always go on and on about the GOP wanting a “dumbed down” electorate…here’s why.

72. 380 dotster3
    January 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Someone in tweetville said this photo took her breath away. Gave it a 2nd look, very meaningful:

73. January 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm

A little bit of Syria news.

January 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I guess Billo thinks that college students are too stupid to vote. Jerk.

75. January 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm

And, after the past two days, I think it’s time for this.

76. January 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm

It really, really eats the right up that Michelle Obama is a successful black woman who made it on her own. They can’t stand it.

Bunch of assholes.

77. January 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

78. 396 Linda
    January 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I turned on Cenk to see if he would acknowledge his failure to get people to vote against PBO and he is yelling about the NDAA.

I lasted about 1 minute.

79. January 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Hah!

January 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hilarious! Blah Friday……OMG!

• January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm

that is so freakin hilariousssss…… i hope the #Blah tag trends twitter and people continue to slam santorum over that! When I saw the video of him acting out what he believed he had said and people ‘misheard’ him say… he looked so stuuuuuuupid! just wanted karate chop him right in the jugular he looked so stupid! SMDH :lol:

January 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Rick Santorum alerted Sen. John Ensign in 2009 that the husband of Ensign’s mistress wanted to go public with the affair that ultimately ended the Nevada Republican’s Senate career, according to a Senate ethics committee report released Thursday.

81. January 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

The Iowa caucus could not have ended better for Obama. Whoever the Republican nominate is doesn’t matter as much as how bruised he will be by the end of the primaries. The Democrats love this divide in the Republican Party and will be able to focus more on their Senate races, especially the women candidates.

Women Senatorial candidates will benefit tremendously from the fundraising the Democrats will be able to do from Iowa. Elizabeth Warren especially will receive a blessing in disguise from her former governor’s skeletons from Massachusetts donors. Many believe Iowa does not matter, but it does in terms of explosions (and implosions) of Republican candidates and the fundraising power it gives the Democratic Party it couldn’t matter more.

Article here: http://genwhypress.com/2012/01/05/who-won-the-iowa-caucus-barack-obama-and-women-senatorial-candidates/

82. January 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm

January 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm

THAT’S EVEN FUNNIER! We could have a field day!

• 407 Linda
      January 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm

That is hilarious.

January 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm

From Angry Blah Lady :)…..Some thoughts….

So we’ve got Newt telling blahs to get a job, and Frothman lying about whether he made comments about blah people being on welfare, and all of it makes me feel pretty BLARGH. I mean, come on! It’s far too early for this kind of dumbassery! Pace yourselves, people. Don’t let all the stupid out before you hit the primary.

And by the way, where do these mythical blah people come from? Blahfrica? The Blah Sea? And does that make me Angry Blah Lady now? Suddenly I’m filled with crushing ennui.

January 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

84. January 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Cool:

@jesseclee44 11:40 tomorrow morning Obama will visit the staff at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau & say a few words

85. January 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Any information Q4 fund raising from Obama campaign ?