Jan

evening all

President Barack Obama talks with Chief of Staff Bill Daley and Jack Lew, Director of the Office of Management and Budget, before making a statement to the press in the State Dining Room of the White House, Jan. 9, 2012. The President announced Daley’s resignation and that Lew will serve as his next chief of staff. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Mark Kelly leans on the shoulder of his wife, U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, at a memorial vigil remembering the victims and survivors of the shooting that wounded Giffords, 12 others and killed six one year ago Sunday, Jan. 8, 2012, in Tucson, Ariz. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)

NYT: The sun had fallen and a crowd had gathered on a chilly Sunday night on the mall at the University of Arizona, for the last event of a weekend commemorating the first anniversary of the mass shooting here one year ago. The vigil began with the Pledge of the Allegiance.

Led by Representative Gabrielle Giffords.

Full article here

Reuters: Welcome to an unlikely beacon of hope for the global auto industry – Detroit.

Executives arriving this week for the Detroit auto show find a U.S. car market that has morphed from meltdown three years ago to a safe haven as concerns grow about the stability of other big economies, from Europe to China.

Analysts and executives expect 2012 U.S. auto sales to grow 4 percent to 9 percent, the third consecutive annual gain….

Full article here

The First Lady’s schedule

Wednesday, January 11:

Richmond, Virginia

12:30: First Lady Michelle Obama will deliver remarks at a DNC luncheon in Richmond.

2:45: Mrs Obama will announce a major commitment by the country’s top medical colleges and universities to create a new generation of doctors, medical schools, and research facilities to ensure that veterans, service men and women receive the medical care that they deserve.

Prior to this announcement, the First Lady will tour the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center’s Polytrauma Unit to visit wounded warriors and veterans receiving in-patient treatment.

Charlottesville, Virginia

5:15 PM: Mrs. Obama will deliver remarks at a DNC reception

Friday, January 13:

Alexandria, Virginia

Morning: Mrs Obama will join the cast of Nickelodeon’s iCarly at a special screening of “iMeet The First Lady,” a new episode featuring the First Lady that honors America’s military children.

At the final event of the tour, Miranda Cosgrove and the iCarly cast will be joined by Mrs. Obama at Hayfield Secondary School, a school with a large number of military children. They will screen the episode, participate in iCarly’s “Random Dancing” and answer questions from the students.

Mrs. Obama will also appear in a Joining Forces PSA produced by Nickelodeon that will debut immediately following the airing of “iMeet the First Lady” on the 16th.”

ObamaFoodorama

Charles Pierce (Esquire): MANCHESTER, N.H. – Just got back to town in time to feel the entire race pivot underneath my feet. Of course, this is just a naked ploy by the Gingrich campaign to sew up the critical Unemployable Dude With A Snowmobile vote, which is not a constituency lightly overlooked in this state, although in South Carolina, political observers say, it is replaced by the Unemployable Dude With A Mullet And A Truck vote ….

:lol:

CBS: The nominating process may officially be underway, but Republicans have yet to enthusiastically embrace a potential nominee for president – and despite the late date, most would like to see other candidates enter the race, according to a new CBS News poll.

The survey finds that 58 percent of Republican primary voters want more presidential choices, while just 37 percent say they are satisfied with the current field. The percentage of Republican primary voters that wants more choices has increased 12 percentage points since October.

More here

58%?! I think that’s what you call an ‘enthusiasm gap’.

Charles P. Pierce (Esquire): And, suddenly, the dogwhistles have turned into air-raid sirens .. I think, maybe, it’s time for the nation to rise up and point out to the Republican party that, root and branch, it is a racist embarrassment to democracy and a blight on this nation that all the world can see…..

….there is a steady, noxious river of bile flowing through the entire Republican party, and through the conservative “movement” that empowers it …

… No, Rick, I don’t believe for a moment you meant to say something else and it came out “Blah people,” you Bible-banging coward. Nobody’s talking in code any more. It’s right out front there, for all the world to see. How dare these people? How dare their evil souls?

183 Responses to “evening all”

• 3 isonprize
        January 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Chica,

In the last thread, I’ve seen references to a pic with Bo “listening” at the door of the WH Oval Office, but I didn’t see the picture. Did it get cut during one of the updates? I just love, love that dog with his lopsided white ‘socks’

• January 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Hiya isonprize, yikes, sorry, I replaced the pic in one of the updates. It’s an oldie, but a goldie!

• January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Love that picture of Bo, thanks for posting again Ms. Chips!!

• 6 isonprize
            January 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm

aawwwwwwww. SWEEEEEETT!! Thanks Chica. I had never seen this one before. Bo is just the coolest dog!!!

I’m more of a cat person, but I think I could hang with Bo. He looks so mellow. That’s what I like about cats. They are quite happy to ignore you. Although, when something is up, if you pay attention, they will let you know. If they could bark, they would be excellent guard “dogs”

• January 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm

For once,I would like to see bo’s eyes.

• 8 Pamela
              January 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Good boy, Bo, waiting for his master! Oh! Oh! My ‘Change Is’… card arrived today, awesome tool to have in ones pocket… Also my next calendar for giving away, and 10 of the little buttons, so cute! I love giving away campaign paraphernalia, people love to get free stuff, and my money goes to the best cause I can think of!

January 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

LOOK AT YOU!!! :)

1. 13 nintendowii10
    January 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Five hundredth!

2. 16 TrumpDog
    January 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm

OMG Todd Palin endorsed Newt? And that’s something to brag about?
    LOL!!!

I’ve said it before; I think we’re going to see a shift in how the military votes this year. FL Obama seems to focus on the families in the military and you can tell Pres. Obama really respects them. I guess we’ll see.

Pierce is right. But sadly, if you point out racism these days, it’s YOU that become the racist.
    The Republicans know that’s the only thing they really have. And despite their blatant attempt to take on Obama by appointing Steele as RNC Chair, they totally failed in trying to appear to not be racist. In fact, they seemed more open about it.

• January 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm

That shit has already occured, but will just be wider this year. In 2008, Obama won the enlisted vote and junior officer vote. Only the higher up officers voted for Bush. BAsed upon their responses to most of what the President has done, you may even see them shift over.

3. January 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm

The new CBS national poll has Robney at 47% and the President at 45%.

Is their something we are all missing about Robney?

How in the he’ll could he be at 47%???

• 20 FiredUpInCA
      January 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Mitt has a very large family.

January 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Jovie, there is something about the CBS national poll. It ain’t shit. Excuse my langauge.

• January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

And that was after the hood jobs report on Friday.
        The president got no bump, but Robney did.
        Me thinks, the saturated GOP market might be having an effect on the Presidrnts numbers!

January 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Jovie, let’s focus on the ACTUAL poll that counts, which will be on Nov 6th 2012. There will be many many polls in between – including those Republican propaganda polls like the one you just referenced.

• 26 nintendowii10
      January 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Jovie, quit with the freaking out over polls at this point. The Republicans are STILL going through their primary process, and weakening each other in the process. Whomever emerges the “winner” will go on to defeat against President Obama, the enthusiasm gap for the Republican field is abysmal.

• January 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Your funny tonite. You have called me and others emoprogs all day, and now you say you want me to stop freaking out about polls.
        Alrighty then!

• 28 nintendowii10
          January 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm

On the contrary, I haven’t called you or others “emoprogs” all day. I called out halo for “sounding like an emoprog” with his/her comments about Daley resigning his post.

And my point still stands about the polls, they dont mean SQUAT at this point. The Republicans are weakening each other, which will make the “winner” of their primary a sure loser against President Obama. The Republicans don’t have the same ground game that President Obama has, so relax, it’s all good :wink:

• 30 Lorraine
      January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Ain’t it funny, seems like a National Poll comes out on the night before the first primary voting. I knew this poll was suspect when it has President Obama beating Paul by only 1 point. I do believe CBS News has a aught against President Obama. The unemployment rate is down but President Obama in this poll loses 2 points from last month. Things that make you go hmmmmmm

• January 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Precisely my point! It’s strategy from the GOP to make Robney look good.

• 32 Lorraine
          January 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Jovie, when I see your posts frightens me sometimes…lol. If I didn’t know God, His Son, Jesus and the Holy Ghost when I read your posts they would have me worried, fortunately, President Obama’s re-election is already written in the script of time. One thing about the poll from CBS, it’s registered voters, not likely voters. That does make a difference, why President Obama’s approval went down is a head scratcher, though.

• 33 dotster3
            January 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Please—no holy ghost.

January 9, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I’ve already asked her to keep the scripture away from this blog which is a political website and not a bible class. Lorraine we ask that you please respect the boundaries of this blog. I respect your beliefs but some people are not religious and you need to respect that. It’s plain and simple.

• 35 EDP4BHO
                January 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Lorraine is just fine. President Obama confesses his faith. It’s all good, and harmless to any of us. Freedom of speech, remember guys?

• 36 dotster3
                  January 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Not every time he opens his mouth. Agree with hopefruit that this is a political blog. Religion best kept private.

• 37 EDP4BHO
                    January 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Religion is speech, doesn’t bother me in the least. As long as there’s no proselytizing, it’s for those who have ears to hear. Some of us are religious, some of us are political, some are both. I am not political, but I support my President. Otherwise, I would not be on this blog. So I tolerate reading about rethugs and their ilk…..in other words, I respect the use of speech I find detestable, if it’s for support of something I believe in. Please, can you both just leave Lorraine be? She also does not mention religion every time she opens her mouth. I find her words comforting.

• 38 nospin
                    January 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Religion should not be kept private. That is why this country is so great.

Lorraine – keep posting.

• 39 dotster3
                      January 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Yes it should. We are all of different minds here. Not all of us are religious. We are here in the interest of supporting President Obama. Period.

• January 9, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Because CBS wanted his approval to go down, no more, no less. You can weight a poll anyway you want to to get the results you want. It truly is meaningless.

• 42 Lovepolitics2008
        January 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm

President Obama beating Paul by 1 point ? Does that make ANY sense ??

• January 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

No, but the one candidate that is surging in NH is huntsman and he does the worst against the President, even Perry does better than huntsman! Lol!

• 44 halo
      January 9, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Because PBO isn’t out there countering all the GOP lies. It’s the same reason people think there are death panels in the ACA.

• 45 Mel
      January 9, 2012 at 9:52 pm

They did not poll any Democrats such as Latinos, AA, AND MANY MORE MAINORITIES THE msm IS SO FULL
      OF LIES AND MORE LIES.

4. January 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

And the President is only up 1 point on Ron Paul and only 4 points on santorum.

This poll has way underpolled the presidents base.

Anybody know the crosstabs?

• 47 LOL
      January 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I don’t need the crosstabs to know it’s 100% Grade A BS. Rasmussen has the prez beating Santorum 47-39….CBS has never really nailed any of their polls. When Gingrich was surging, they were the only ones who had Romney up. They should just stick to 60 minutes and Two and half men.

• 48 halo
      January 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Jovie, don’t take your critics too seriously. We can’t rejoice over Gallup polls and other polls that show PBO up one day and then pooh pooh other ones that show us down. While one poll is meaningless, we should just looka t the trend. We shoudl also realize that the people are being SATURATED with GOP lies and media. PBO could give a speech tomorrow and nobody will cover it. The media wants to make this a race so we’ll be seeing lots of ups and downs.

• 49 EDP4BHO
        January 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm

‘We can’t rejoice over Gallup polls and other polls that show PBO up one day and then pooh pooh other ones that show us down.”

Exactly right. We can’t be selective. In fact, why don’t we just not rely on any of them, though it is hard not to. We must keep in mind the actual questions being asked, and if none of us are asked them, we can’t know the context. So, I rely much more on watching President Obama in his true element, which is with the people, and how they all respond. Also, what I hear on my local talk radio, what I see and hear online. There’s so much positivity for this President that CBS can miss me with all their negativity.

• 50 EDP4BHO
      January 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm

CBS polling is much like their reporting. Listen any day to hear the slights against PBO. Never fully positive, even when other news outlets are. They’re another reason I don’t turn on my TV.

5. January 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Chips and TOD family,

You can tell #mediarazzi is getting nervous: they think William Daley leaving is a big news story. What a joke!!! President Obama makes adjustments on the fly; however, when Daley came aboard last year, he told PBO that he’d do a year. So, PBO knew hence Rouse being there. Now with Jack Lew there, things are in place. I do want to see who replaces Lew at the OMB office.

Keep it real, as the good Rev. Al says and check you all on Twitter – name on TOD name.

6. 52 collegekay
    January 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

good evening everyone,

maybe someone can help me but i’ve been sick for 2 days and I can’t seem to find the answer i’m looking for on google
    I have a headache, sort of stiff neck (???), and sore throat. do you get a stiff neck w/ a common cold??? help

• 53 isonprize
      January 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Did you sleep funny, in an awkward position? Generally, no you don’t get a stiff neck with a cold. What medicine have you taken so far?

You don’t mention a fever. Are you running a fever? How long have you had the ‘sort of stiff neck”? Are you really at college? If so, do you have a health center you can stop in?

• 54 collegekay
        January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Yes i’m really in college. We have student health center but they close at 5pm and my University’s hospital charges and arm and a leg to go to the ER smh.
        I’ve been taking CVS brand meds. I cant afford anything else right now. And my temp was 99 degrees last time I checked. It’s kind of the muscles in my neck/back that are aching. i’m not sure how to explain. It’s not unbearable, just weird-feeling.

• 55 isonprize
          January 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

CVS meds are fine. I’m a grown woman and I buy them. What exactly have you taken? I’m not a doctor, so don’t sue me or Chica. Just for your info — ibuprofen is more of a a muscle relaxant. acetiminophen is used more to reduce a fever. and aspirin is often used as an anti-inflammatory med.

If you took anything, what was it? When did you last take it? And is your neck is still ‘sorta stiff and achy’
          Have you had the stiff neck for long? Or did it come on quickly/suddenly?

Here is another site:

US National Library of Medicine – PubMedHealth

• 56 collegekay
            January 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Yep neck’s still stiff, particularly when I tilt it back. It started today. I’ll check this site out. Thanks for your help

• 57 Pamela
              January 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm

For that kind of stiff joint or muscle pain, I have found excellent relief with a topical cream called Topricin. It is available at Super Supplements, is only $9.00 for a tube which lasts a while. It is recommended for arthritis pain, carpal tunnel, that kind of stress. I first discovered it when I pulled a uncle on my back, with no health insurance at all, I had to find an alternative. It sure works for me, I make sure I always have some on board!

• 58 Pamela
                January 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Lol! I didn’t pull an ‘uncle’ in my back, I pulled a MUSCLE! Hee!

• 59 collegekay
                  January 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Lol @ uncle. Thanks a lot Pamela.

• 61 dotster3
                  January 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Laughing so hard about pulling an uncle on your back. And in other news—–Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop was arrested in Wi. today—for real. Not his birth name—duh— but changed legally in Oct. to this new name with more zip—-and Bop-Bop. We have some real strange birds in this country.

• 63 Chi
              January 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Dear College Kay,

Please go to the emergency room and have this checked out…

Please don’t worry about the cost, just go, put it on a card for now…

Please send Chips a contact e-mail or telephone number where you can be reached right away…

-Chi.

• January 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Dear collegekay,

Hope you are following the excellent advice of the folks on this blog, and getting yourself checked out. My son had a stiff neck with high fever 2 years ago, and a blood test diagnosed meningitis. He luckily made a full recovery as we got him to the hospital in time… but please don’t mess with fevers and stiff necks! All the best to you.

• January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

ck,

You can go, here:

WebMD… http://www.webmd.com/

Symptoms… http://symptoms.webmd.com/

I hope this helps you….Feel better! (((ck)))

7. January 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm

We all understand what Romney was trying to say – even if he was again lying about the ACA not allowing choice in ones health insurance provider – but it’s the language he used in the situation. Nobody would say I fired my old provider so am looking to hire a new one. That’s just not how the rest of us talk. It seemed to roll off the tongue of Mitt like he said it before.

If you get bad service at a restaurant, do you say “I fired my waitress” or “I fired the restaurant” when you next time decide to eat somewhere else? You get spoiled milk from a cornerstore on a couple of occasions so next time you go elsewhere – do you say “I fired that corner store”? You want to switch internet providers – do you call up Comcast and say “You’re fired!!” ?

So even if we know what he was saying – it doesn’t take away the bizarre language he used in the situation – one that only an out of touch robber baron job cremator would use.

• 70 dotster3
      January 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I just said the exact same thing to husband—–“I like to fire people” rolled so easily off his tongue. And it’s getting a lot of attention from the media and all the other Repub candidates. People will see and hear Romney saying it without knowing the context. I still don’t get why the Repub candidates waited till this late date to go after Romney. I think all these late attacks may lead to an altered result in N.H. but not enough to affect the outcome. And—-I just think this is interesting: All the reporters tweeting from the events in N.H. always note that much of the crowds are from out of state. Manufactured support for the candidates, giving false impression?

• 71 Obama Grandmama
        January 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I think the fired comment just reflects who he is as much as the $10,000 bet did. We are getting a pattern of being out of touch with normal Americans regardles of his comments of I’m unemployed too and I have worried about getting a pink slip before too.

8. January 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Nice way to change the narrative off of Bain and pink slips- put a bad poll in the field!

Check!

9. January 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Why You Cannot Say You ‘Like’ Firing People
    by James Fallows

It’s the word fire. I have fired people, and I have been fired — and there is no comparison in how much more excruciating the former process is. I know, agree with, and have even written a book about all the reasons why “flexibility” in the labor force is a good thing for companies and for the overall economy…

But people with any experience on either side of a firing know that, necessary as it might be, it is hard. Or it should be. It’s wrenching, it’s humiliating, it disrupts families, it creates shame and anger alike — notwithstanding the fact that often it absolutely has to happen. Anyone not troubled by the process — well, there is something wrong with that person. We might want such a person to do dirty work for us. We might value him or her as a takeover specialist or at a private equity firm. But as someone we trust, as a leader? No – not any more than you can trust a military leader who is not deeply troubled when his troops are killed…

10. January 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Greetings Everyone

Creolechild sent me a link to a wonderful web page filled with charts that are easy to understand and need to be sent to everyone we know. They deal with income inequality and taxes.

So…. I would like invite everyone to practice finding them. They are on the Election Toolkit page at my blog. When the page loads you will see lots of links, at the end of the ISSUES section, is a “jump link” that takes you down the page to a Taxes / Income Inequality Section. There you will find the link sent by creolechild.

Now I know it would have been easier to just post the link, but won’t it be great when everyone becomes familiar with this page and can use it to find all the facts and figures we need to beat every Republican on the planet?? Doesn’t that sound like fun?

So….. visit this page, bookmark it, then click on the Taxes / Income Inequality link and find the charts.

Virtual Hugs to Creolechild, keep those incredible resources pouring in folks.

11. 77 FiredUpInCA
    January 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Democrats fall in love. Republicans fall in line…

Wait. What?

The splintering is on display in New Hampshire, where several prominent tea party leaders made conflicting endorsements in recent weeks.

Last week, Jane Aitken, co-founder of the New Hampshire Tea Party Coalition, endorsed Ron Paul, urging fellow conservatives to “defy the establishment’s effort to dictate the outcome of our elections” and jabbing “elitist Republicans who can only call themselves ‘conservative.’”

Failed congressional candidate Jennifer Horn, who runs the grass-roots group We The People, recently backed Romney.

Former Bachmann backer Jerry DeLemus, who chairs the Granite State Patriots Liberty PAC, endorsed Santorum, and DeLemus’s predecessor as PAC chairman, Jack Kimball, had switched to Gingrich when his previous pick, Cain, dropped out.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71219.html#ixzz1j0nVfy5m

Mitt is the greatest unifier among all the GOP candidates: every voter in the country, regardless of party, dislikes him.

Sorry GOP. Mitt happens.

12. 79 LOL
    January 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Heads up…the president will be doing a fundraiser and it will be shown on cspan.gov at 8:40

• January 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Excellent LOL, thank you!!

PS Ooops: this is how it’s listed at C-Span – 8:40 is the time of the speech, alright, but they have it down as coverage of the Dallas Mavericks??

8:40 pm ET Approx. 30 min. LIVE White House: President Obama Campaign Event in Washington, DC WHITE HOUSE
      On Monday, the President will welcome the NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks to the …

• 81 sonjiaduncan
      January 10, 2012 at 12:02 am

Cspan.org

13. January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

NASHUA, NH.–Former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs apologized Monday for insulting First Lady Michelle Obama during an explosive staff meeting where he also laid into Senior Advisor Valerie Jarrett. The scene is recounted in a new book, “The Obamas,” by New York Times reporter Jodi Kantor. Jarrett said the two have “worked through disagreements.”

“In any high-pressure work environment there are occasional arguments and disagreements and that is certainly true of the White House. I regret speaking in anger and regret that this disagreement became so public. But those moments pale in comparison to the important issues facing our country and will not overshadow the vital work Valerie and I will do together as part of a team in 2012,” Gibbs said in a statement.

Said Jarrett in a statement, “Since 2004, Robert Gibbs and I have worked together on campaigns and in the government, and he has been a valued advisor and Press Secretary to this President and a key member of the Obama team. Like any colleagues, we’ve shared some laughs and we’ve shared some words over the years. But we have always worked through any disagreements out of mutual respect and in our shared commitment now and in the future to President Obama.”

14. 88 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    America – the GOP is a ‘racist embarrassment to the Country’ – http://t.co/vAkao7oE ‘Nobody’s talking in code, any more.’ #BlahSantorum

#PRESSON

15. 89 dotster3
    January 9, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Gibbs issues apology for his outburst recorded in book. Jarrett issues a “everything’s smoothed over” statement. I just don’t think it was necessary to tell that tale out of school. To a book author, no less.

• 90 dotster3
      January 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Whoops—sorry—didn’t see chips’ post before posting the same.

• 91 Chi
      January 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Lynn Sweet is a dirty, slimy, underhanded, malicious gossip…

She lives to gleefully push anything that even remotely hurts or taints the Obamas…

Lynn Sweet is a right wing hack who thinks Redstate, Newsmax and FOX are reliable sources and actually works closely and for the same people…

• 92 dotster3
        January 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Really? Never had that impression, and I’m in Chgo area. In fact, I would say the opposite.

• January 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Before he became president, I used to not like Sweet. But over the last couple of months, her coverage have seemed fair to me.

• 95 Chi
          January 10, 2012 at 3:14 am

She is an absolute shit stirrer…

She started and whipped up the frenzy and falsehoods about Mrs Obama going to Spain with a million friends on the tax payers dime…

She actually wrote the original ‘sensational’ post that fueled the crazy over-reaction to Mrs Obama’s trip to Spain – going as far as detailing and tallying all the many so-called ‘vacations’ …

She started the every dinner date and weekend getaway counted as ‘vacations’ and even in her ‘report’ on the Gibbs apology, Lynn Sweet simply could not resist sticking it again to the First Lady by linking to a separate post she makes about Mrs Obama ‘resenting’ white, Irish Catholics and their stranglehold on Chicago politics – all courtesy of Jodi Kantor’s book…

This was the petty, gossipy, innuendo filled article Ms. Sweet posted on her ‘Politics Daily’ blog at the time…

This Lynn Sweet article also became the basis for the ‘she’s vacationed 8 times already this year’ meme…

After she stirred the vapid craziness and started the frenzy, Lynn Sweet also positioned herself as the go to person setting the record straight on the vacation not being as bad as it was being made out…

She is pure evil…

• 96 vero804
      January 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I kind of think it was a good idea to put out the statements…they were going to get dogged about the veracity of the incident as told in the book. Now, we know it happened, so hopefully with their statements the issue can be put to bed in terms of the media asking if its true. We’ll see.

• 98 FiredUpInCA
      January 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Thank you for the head’s up What is Working. I found this gem in the article:

“Rick Perry is offering supporters a downloadable ring tone, via his campaign website, that plays “I like to fire people” on a loop.”

May the mittstakes keep on coming for the next 10 months.

16. January 9, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Evening all. I’ve been watching around for a while, and yes, the “dog whistles” are indeed sirens. Every time the GOP starts saying that they’re “not racist,” you have yet another Republican official or candidate running out with a statement that is blatantly so. After a while, it’s inexcusable.

January 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm

My thought is, they keep saying they’re not racist, as if repeating it will make it true. Just like every other lie they’ve ever told to the American people. I think we know better.

January 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm

On Old Orange, there is a diary from the Republican who is now endorsing President Obama for 2012.

The diarist has this to say about Jon Huntsman:

// Hunstman is too much of an empty suit (7+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:CrissieP, wmspringer, lgmcp, SoCalSal, gramofsam1, denig, OhioNatureMom

He’s Romney without as many flip flops.
    I disagree with Huntsman on repealing the healthcare bill and I see a need to raise some taxes.
    At this point in time, the best course I see for the country is to re-elect Obama.

by wartman on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 12:02:10 PM PST //

If you visit Old Orange, here a link to the diary

18. January 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Any news Q4 fund raising ? How come there was no push for donations from the campaign like they did with the last two quarters ? Does it mean they have already hit the 60 mil target ?

• January 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I think it was because Pres Obama was vacationing in Hawaii. There was a push, but not like the other deadlines because it was the holiday season and folks like to spend on their families and such. Also Pres Obama is good for raising 5-8M himself in the last couple of days heading up against a deadline and he didn’t do that this time.

Scott Brown raised $3.4M and has a warchest of near $13M now!! Hopefully Elizabeth Warren comes in at at least $5M, which would give her a war chest of around $8M.

• 120 donna dem 4 obama
      January 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

No push???? I was getting emails for donations every hour the last week of December. There was a tremendous push and we raised over $2,000.00 in the last 3 days of the month right here at TOD.

We were FIRED UP!

January 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Perhaps they are still counting the money. Envelopes are probably still rolling in.

• January 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I agree, Donna. We were getting hourly pushes. I found myself donating on each of 4 days because I got so caught up in the urgency. Can’t imagine how they could have pressed more intensively they did.

19. 123 nintendowii10
    January 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Listening to President Obama speak, I cannot imagine how ANY of the Republican candidates can compete with him. PBO INSPIRES and FIRES PEOPLE UP, the Republican candidates can’t even inspire their own voters to vote for them.

When President Obama debates one of them, the stark contrast will be clear: President Obama standing up for the middle class, and Willard or one of the other Repub candidates standing up for the rich.

January 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm

The Republicans assume that the media will do their dirty work for them. This is not 2010 when folks didn’t care about their obscure house reps. This is Barack Obama on the ballot.

Even Netanyahu knew what he was talking about when he told his campaign aides that he wanted an “Obama-style” election .

• 125 Pamela
      January 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm

This may sound simple, but I cannot imagine anyone else EVER being POTUS, as PBO has now set the bar so high, none of these bubble blowers will ever come near it!

January 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

That’s how I feel, Pamela. In fact, I think I’m “done” with politics after 2016! At least that’s the plan. :)

20. 127 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

WIW –

Emailed “Change Is” .jpg a few minutes ago. I scanned it at 600 dpi; if you need a different resolution, let me know.

21. January 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Hah! Mittens is getting reamed by Rupie. From a NY Post column:

Lost in the weekend’s back-to-back debates in New Hampshire was this illuminating remark by Democratic strategist Donna Brazile after Saturday night’s soporific contest in Manchester: “Mitt Romney won tonight because no one touched him. And for Democrats, you know what? It was good news for us . . . because we believe that the weakest candidate is the candidate that the Republicans are not attacking. And that’s Mitt Romney.”

The remark drew guffaws from some of the other assembled party faithful and media commentators, but Brazile spoke the truth. Democrats do believe that Romney is eminently beatable, the perfect foil for President Obama, in fact.

And yesterday’s debate on “Meet the Press” amply illustrated her point.

I can’t believe I’m linking to a column from a paper that I detested from the time I could read — I read the Daily News for the sports and the Times for the hard news — but it’s further evidence of the Right’s building civil war: Mr. Untouchable a Mitt-ing duck for Democrats.

• January 9, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Caveat: it has the usual conspiracy theories of a “liberal media”, but it does illustrate how scared the Right is about Mittens as an untested, glass-jawed candidate. Delicious.

• 131 Cha
      January 9, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Michael Walsh did call David Gregory a “liberal attack dog”..what koolaid is he drinking? And, he said
      PObama had a failed stewardship”..on which I call Bullshite!

Otherwise, he did call out romney.

January 9, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Am I correct that the CBS feed of the President’s remarks says “336K” total views?

23. 137 donna dem 4 obama
    January 9, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Can we say thin-skinned and these people want to be President of the United States.

• 138 nintendowii10
      January 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I laugh at the numerous Paulbots who act like he will enact his will by fiat if he gets elected President. We currently have a President who can barely get anything accomplished with ONE party in Washington blocking him, how would a President Paul (cue laughter) fare better with BOTH political parties in Washington blocking him enmasse?

24. January 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm

CALENDAR
    Tuesday Jan. 10, 2012
    7:45 AM
    Biden hosts a breakfast meeting with Secretary of State Clinton at the Naval Observatory.
    10:30 AM
    Obama and Biden receive the presidential daily briefing.
    11:00 AM
    Obama meets with senior advisers.
    1:15 PM
    Carney briefs the press.
    2:45 PM
    Obama joins Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Jackson at an agency event and makes remarks.
    3:30 PM
    Obama and Biden meet with Secretary of Defense Panetta.

25. 147 Ladyhawke
    January 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm

President Obama – “Change is not easy but it’s possible”

26. 148 vitaminlover
    January 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Like one of the Obama 2008 campaign workers said in the movie “By the People” and I quote, “Polls don’t mean S***!” Of course as we know our Beloved President went on to win it. Obama/Biden 2012!!!!!

27. 149 Barb
    January 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Keep up the good work – Great site!

January 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I really miss that SS guy Daddy Warbucks. He was still working when President Obama gave the speech at the Tuscon Memorial last January. Why did he have to retire last year?

29. January 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Lol! Now Ed Shultz wants Hillary as veep. Joan Walsh is on to discuss it! Lol!

• 152 jeff
      January 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I thought Ed wanted Santorum as president.

January 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm

He admitted he got a lot of pushback on Twitter for overpraising Santorum. I’ve noticed he’s also been hearing from quite a few tonight about the HRC for VP stuff.

• 154 nintendowii10
      January 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I’ve had it with Ed. When he can’t figure out whether he likes the President or thinks the President is a sellout, he’s praising Santorum or hopping on this Hillary as VP bandwagon, which Hillary herself has denied multiple times, also denied by Debbie Wasserman Shultz when Tweety Tingleuphisleg brought it up.

• January 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I know, right! Wishy washy!

• January 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

He got a well deserved push back on twitter, just like he got when he was all agog about Santorum the other night. This is so insulting and rather dumb. I think it is a GOP ploy, myself. go figure.

• 157 Obama Grandmama
        January 9, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Ed’s a scatterbrain and does not learn from his mistakes. He doesn’t seem to be a real intellect but he relates to the common worker and speaks for him and stands up for him. We still need him but we cannot count on him being a steady supporter or influence.

30. 158 mtmarilyn
    January 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Good evening all you wonderful people of TODville. I am asking for all you good thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning. My husband is having hip replacement surgery. I have complete confidence in the surgeons but I believe in the power of good thoughts and prayers. Thank you all!!

Keep up the great work all of you are doing. I do believe we are fired up ready to go.

31. 166 Tulips
    January 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Chipstick Can we do a special thing for Vice president Biden.

• January 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I’m for it. I’m sick and tired of all these asshole emoprogs bitchin’ and moanin’ and not appreciating what we have in Joe BFD Biden. They are living in fantasy land if they think Hillary will come anywhere closer to the presidency than SOS. America voted: they don’t want her. Having her on the ticket would guarantee an Obama defeat in 2012. Emoprogs need to STFU and stick it where the sun don’t shine.
      Obama/Biden all the way baby!!!!!!!

January 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Yes, to send a mighty STFU to those PUMAS. We need to start a donation effort anytime one of those PUMAS come on TV, or writes an article disrespecting our VP and pretending that he is not worthy of his job.

I notice that our effort for FLOTUS last night seemed to have had an impact. Folks from the media do lurk on this blog. If we do something similar for VP Biden, who knows, we might get “Lurker#2″ telling why we are mistaken :)

32. 169 FiredUpInCA
    January 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm

‘Romney communications director Gail Gitcho also sent out an e-mail, urging the media to “take a moment and review the transcripts and videos from today’s event.”

“Our opponents are taking Gov. Romney’s comments completely out of context. Governor Romney was talking about firing insurance companies if you don’t like their service. That is something that most Americans agree with,” she said.

While Romney takes credit for having created more than 100,000 jobs under Bain, a recent report by the Wall Street Journal shows that 22 percent of the companies in which it invested either went bankrupt or shut down, and another eight percent lost all money Bain invested.”

Six days.

That’s how long it took for the wheels to come off his campaign and the gloves to come off his opponents.

No doubt he’ll do fine in New Hampshire but the dynamics campaign has changed inalterably. Before he was pious disciplined Mitt who was merely accused of flip flopping.

Now Mitt’s been exposed for lying on his resume’. Serial liar is a tougher charge to beat than flip flopper. Just wait until the predator job killing charge sinks in as someone in the media is sure to interview (and later discredit) a laid off worker in the 27 minute anti-Willard movie.

• 170 L3
      January 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I can’t believe they are saying his comments were taken out of context when that’s what he’s been relentlessly doing to PBO. He accused PBO of calling Americans lazy when he was talkng about the American govt. and suggested PBO said if we keep talking about the economy we’re going to lose, when PBO was quoting a McCain aide. Karma is so sweet.

• 172 LunarSea
      January 9, 2012 at 9:32 pm

“Our opponents are taking Gov. Romney’s comments completely out of context.” said his spokesman.

I am laughing so hard right now. What’s the phrase that comes to mind? Oh yeah, “Karma’s a biotch”

What we need right now is that clip of Romney dismissing his campaign using a clip of PBO, on the 2008 campaign trail, quoting McCain out of context.

:belly laughing: – is there a smiley for that?

• January 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hold up! I thought the Romney campaign said (roughly paraphrased) “They’re his words; he said it”, and “context doesn’t matter” when they ADMITTED taking the President’s words of out of context for one of their ads. Now, all of a sudden they’re changing their tune? Funny how that works….

33. January 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Washington D.C. – U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu will travel to Detroit, Mich., this week to highlight the Obama Administration’s support for the American automobile industry and the role investing in innovation will play in keeping U.S. workers and companies competitive.  Last year, after seven straight years of decline, American auto manufacturers rebounded thanks in part to support from the Administration.

Today, the Department of Energy also released a new video, “Energy 101: Electric Vehicles”, which highlights the benefits of electric vehicles, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and lower maintenance costs. To view the video, visit http://youtu.be/M69GBL0IDzI?hd=1.

All next week, the Department of Energy will be highlighting its investment in the American auto industry.  On Tuesday, January 10, Secretary Chu will tour the North American International Auto Show before giving a major address at a Detroit Economic Club breakfast on Wednesday, January 11.

• 175 LunarSea
      January 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

That’s right! The auto industry is NOT going to take credit for their success without sharing that credit with this admin and our wonderful, geeky workers at the Dept of Energy. I just love nerds and Secr. Chu is right up there near the pinnacle of the nerd ladder. I never knew they had a youtube channel. I have bookmarked it and plan on being a regular visitor.

So glad to see that the Admin will be represented in a big, in your face, sort of way at this event. PBO is The Best Auto CEO yet! Single handedly saving the industry and arguably America’s greatest invention of all time. Yeah for PBO & Chu!

34. 176 Ladyhawke
    January 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I’ll have a large bag of popcorn with just a little butter please……

PIOUS BALONEY ANYONE?

=======================

Well, it looks like pious baloney is about to go viral. Newt and his team will be launching a website called Stop Romney’s Pious Baloney. This along with Willards “I Like To Fire People” ringtone from the Perry campaign is almost more than I can bare. This is beyond entertaining.

35. January 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Hi everyone, I only managed to record the end of the President’s speech tonight (it started 30 minutes early!!!), hopefully C-Span or someone will have it all soon – here you go:

36. 181 nintendowii10
    January 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Club for Growth Explodes on Newt

The Club for Growth, custodian of the gods of cutthroat laissez-faire capitalism, blasts Newt Gingrich for attacking Romney’s private equity awesomeness.

37. January 9, 2012 at 9:25 pm

willard’s ‘i like to fire people’ moment goes international.