Jan

rise and shine

Mediaite

Greg Sargent (Washington Post): Romney’s claims about jobs continue to crumble: A colleague emails: “Can you remember another time a candidate did as much damage to himself as Romney has done in the last 24 hours? I cannot.”

In that amount of time, two things happened. First, Romney has provided Dems with the perfect fodder for misleading but potentially devastating attacks on his primary vulnerability – his corporate past, which Dems will paint as emblematic of the predatory and unfettered capitalism that has produced untold economic misery for millions.

And second, the national political press – and even some leading Republicans and conservatives – have come around to the conclusion that the foundation of the whole case driving his candidacy, his career as an alleged “job creator” at Bain Capital, is based on a series of claims that are entirely untenable.

Here’s the latest, from Glenn Kessler, who weighs in with an epic fact check of Romney’s claim that he created over 100,000 jobs at Bain, and concludes that it’s unsupportable on every level…..

More here

Glenn Kessler

Greg Sargent: Conservative doubts rising about Obama: A key dynamic to watch: The assault on Romney’s Bain years is causing rising alarm in conservative circles. Jonah Goldberg gives voice to the worries, suggesting we now know that Romney really may not be as electable in a general election against Obama as we keep hearing.

Key footnote: Goldberg suggests that rising doubts about Romney’s electability may be what triggers a brokered convention.

The front page of the New Hampshire Union Leader website today:

;-)

Morning everyone ;-)

347 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 Julie
    January 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

Start my day with George Clooney any time! W00T!!

2. 4 FiredUpInCA
    January 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

Morning TOD Crew!

Twinkies Maker Preparing for Chapter 11 Filing

Jewelry retailer Tiffany & Co says its sales growth weakened in the US and Europe during holiday season – @AP

Clearly, Newt Gingrich’s busy campaign schedule is having an unexpected toll on the economy.

• 5 Don
      January 10, 2012 at 10:01 am

Don’t worry about Tiffany, they will do just fine when “G-Money” drops out of the race and start doing what he does best.

3. January 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

Good Mernin’ Errybody!

4. January 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

Clooney is such an Obot.

5. January 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

Holy Shit!

“A Polish military prosecutor linked to an investigation into the 2010 air crash that killed President Lech Kaczynski shot himself in the head yesterday after abruptly cutting short a news conference where he had been defending the work of his office.”

“Colonel Mikolaj Przybyl was speaking to reporters and cameramen from Polish television at his office in the western city of Poznan when he suddenly asked the journalists to leave because he needed “a rest”. Seconds after the journalists walked out, they heard a bang.”

6. 21 anniebella
    January 10, 2012 at 10:05 am

Let me see now, George Clooney or Chris Matthews, or David Gregory. Tough choice, isn’t it? Ha! Ha! Ha!

7. 28 Pamela
    January 10, 2012 at 10:06 am

Up an at ‘em, NH for the win! Lets stay Fired Up!

8. January 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

Via Mike Allen, the Obama campaign is repeating a stunt they pulled in Iowa: buying up a big chunk of ad space on the homepage of the state’s largest newspaper on the day of the GOP nominating contest.

“Chicago takes over Union Leader website — With all eyes on the GOP in New Hampshire, the Obama campaign has quietly stuck its thumb in the eye of the Republican field, running a banner and border ad wrapping the entire front page of the state’s major newspaper’s website,” a campaign official told POLITICO. “It’s the second time the Chicago team has pulled this trick, doing the same at the Des Moines Register website the day of the Iowa caucus.”

Keep an eye on The State or the Charleston Post and Courier next week to see if the campaign tries for a hat trick.

Lol!

January 10, 2012 at 10:09 am

Robney;s campaign will try doing the same in 3…2…1…

• 38 Pamela
      January 10, 2012 at 10:12 am

Doesn’t sound like ‘stunts’ and ‘tricks’ to me, sounds like they know what they are doing! That’s exactly how we love to see or donations well played!

January 10, 2012 at 10:15 am

I was about to post the same thing – why ascribe a nefarious motive by using terms such as “trick” or “stunt” when there is nothing deceptive or illegal about what they are doing? They are advertising themselves in a public domain, being quite up front about what they are doing.

• 41 itgurl_29
          January 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

He’s black therefore everything he does is criminal, even simply being smarter than his opponent.

• 42 edp4bho
            January 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Some say you’re playing the race card….well, let me join you :-D I will smack that card down whenever and wherever appropriate. Anytime there are people such as Madcow and Tweety, Sherrod Brown’s wife, Rendell, Clinton, etc. hamming up the airwaves with ish about our President, who is THE most progressive in far too long ( and none nowadays can compare) then you know it’s about race. PBO has shown them all what an intelligent black man can do, and it’s a shame there were ever doubters as long and as varied as our history in this country has been.

• January 10, 2012 at 10:15 am

It is not a “trick” to to buy ad space on the leading paper’s home page, nor is it a stunt. It’s standard election time practice and is a sign of a campaign that has its act together and plans ahead. Even our little county party has enough sense to do this. The wonder is that Republicans rely so heavily on the Big Super smear tv ads, that they ignore all the little tried and true ways to reach voters. They call this standard practice a “trick” because Democrats did it and they didn’t.

• 46 FiredUpInCA
      January 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

“A hat-trick or hat trick in sport is the achievement of a positive feat three times during a game” Yep three times would be the charm.

• 48 FiredUpInCA
        January 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Oh I missed the stunt reference. Yeah, it’s not a stunt. The Obama campaign is doing what astute, penny-wise campaigns do. The Obama campaign is going after the eyeballs of undecideds and independents.

Carpetbombers like Newt don’t understand the Tip O’Neill aphorism ‘politics is local.’ Newt is spending big bucks on a 27 minute film in order to win one national news cycle. That’s not a very efficient way to appeal to local voters in New Hampshire or South Carolina.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’d assume the ad space on the websites were already purchased well ahead of time – as least through Nevada.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Uh, uh. Fox News’ entertainers will scream again that PBO is “interfering” in the GOP presidential race! I’m loving that the Obama campaign is putting the screws to the republicans. I thought Megyn Kelly and Bill Kristol would pop a vein last week when they were complaining on air about PBO “interfering” in the Iowa Caucus. LOL

9. January 10, 2012 at 10:10 am

And I root for you, George… He’s the only man I’d leave my husband for. Not even going there with POTUS; I like FLOTUS too much ;)

10. January 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

Morning TOD Family……

Just a question…. Do you think it would be possible to do phone banking outside of the U.S?

January 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

OMG…I’m sure you’re not alone in wanting to help from abroad!!!! :) :)

However, perhaps you would need to first check with an OFA volunteer office to see what you are able to do. I’m not sure whether they have international volunteers, but you never know if you don’t ask!

• January 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thanks hopefruit2, you’re such a sweetheart! I’ve already got their script on-hand going over it ( but I will probably be spontaneous here and there instead of sounding like a robot :lol: especially when they hear a Kiwi/NZ accent over the phone, they might think it’s a prank and hang up :oops: :lol: ) But I am just so FIRED UP AND READY TO GO!!!! Even at 04:25am here, I want to make these calls :lol:

• January 10, 2012 at 10:24 am
      • January 10, 2012 at 10:34 am

Jovie, I went to barackobama.com earlier before I made my post on here and I almost called a person in GA (his name was Jordan), but I had to stop myself and do what hopefruit2 said, just in case I get in trouble or I hurt the phone-banking campaign somehow? (not sure if it would go that extreme lol) I am sooooooo excited in waiting for a response back from the Obama campaign, I hope they allow me the opportunity to contribute through internet phone-banking, since I can’t donate as a non-citizen/resident of the U.S :-S :(

• 62 overseasgranny
      January 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

As a US citizen living abroad, I did phone banking from overseas. Easy peasy. I gave the zip code for where I still vote and called all my old neighbors and impressed the heck out of them for calling international to support the President. Of course, I am lucky in that almost the entire district is Dem. anyway.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

Aw lucky you.. since I’m not a citizen or a resident :( So I can’t be on it as easily as you.. I am still awaiting a response from OFA_NH and Jim Messina and also an email I sent earlier via the website. Hopefully, someone will help me out soon enough. It’s after 05:00am and now I can’t sleep because I want to wait for (what I hope is) good news lol *fingers crossed*

• 65 Judith Fardig
        January 10, 2012 at 11:18 am

Overseasgranny, are you an Oregonian like me? I’m in a very blue precinct of Portland. We are working hard to elect Democrat Suzanne Bonamici to Congress this month. Ballots drop on Friday, 1/13/12. and must be mailed in (or dropped off) by 1/31/12.

• 66 overseasgranny
          January 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Judith, I am in Jim McDermott’s district in Seattle. Hard to get much bluer even though they tried to add a few Repubs in the redistricting.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm

OSG, I think it was easier for you because you are a US citizen. I tried and didn’t get very far because i couldn’t supply a zip code. I left the info unfinished and eventually got a return email. However, no one called me back when I left my phone number, so I ‘gave up’ on that angle. I subsequently tried to make an online link with my ‘local’ Democrats Abroad branch to see how i could help, but the site only accepted inquiries from US citizens!

NZ4O, if you find the side door entry for helping, do let me know. ;)

• 68 smoothscotch
          January 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I also wanted to help and as a non res/cit. I resorted to phoning/emailing my family in the US who are resident to encourage them to vote. will also see them in April and will be talking then too. from what I gather all in PBO corner.

• 69 Obama Grandmama
          January 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I wonder if you could call the Chicago Obama Election Headquarters to ask your question? I do not know their phone number at present but someone on here may. I know during the GE in ’08 they were very helpful to me in questions I had about Democrats Abroad as I had a daughter working in China that year. I however was in the US.

• 70 overseasgranny
          January 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

OK, I wrote to Democrats Abroad in Ireland and asked the question. As soon as I get a response I will post it. I honestly don’t remember being asked if I was a citizen when I signed up that day I started.

11. 71 bizgirl
    January 10, 2012 at 10:12 am

“I’m a Democrat, I’m a believer in him, I feel like he’s done a wonderful job and he’s having a very tough time in a very difficult environment. I root for him, the President of the United States.”

Maybe he should properly inform his uninformed friend Matt Damon about all the accomplishments of Barack Obama.

January 10, 2012 at 10:24 am

Check this out folks – yet another sign of the GOP “enthusiasm gap.”

13. January 10, 2012 at 10:26 am
  14. 80 itgurl_29
    January 10, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’m reading Jodi Kantor’s twitter timeline. She’s throwing all kinds of shade.

15. 83 AnitaW
    January 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

If Huntsman gets 20% in NH does that mean Romney wins with less than 20% again?

• 84 FiredUpInCA
      January 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

Romney could lose New Hampshire. Here’s how.

By Brent Budowsky

“If Romney keeps winning 28 percent, 32 percent or 36 percent against a divided field, how does he get from there to 50 percent-plus-one of actual delegates? It will include Ron Paul delegates, who would never go to Romney, but who might go to a conservative alternative. Ron locks out his percent from any combination that gets Romney to 50 percent of delegates.”

I have seen more than a few analysts that insist at best he needs a landslide and at worst he needs to get 35%, otherwise according to this writer “I believe the odds on a move to draft a new, more conservative candidate, or a brokered convention, are larger than other analysts believe.”

Huntsman is the new surge candidate in a state that Romney is supposed to have no trouble winning. Tonight’s results will be interesting.

16. January 10, 2012 at 10:40 am

The White House press room is buzzing with news that Oprah’s best friend — and new CBS This Morning co-host — Gayle King is scheduled to interview Michelle Obama this afternoon.

Piles of broadcast equipment are stacked outside the West Wing press quarters, and reporters headquartered here say King will meet with the first lady at 1:30 p.m.

King has interviewed Obama before. Last year, she appeared on King’s self-titled show on the Oprah WInfrey Network and spoke about efforts to help military families.

Pool/

January 10, 2012 at 10:49 am

GOOD.

• 88 nintendowii10
      January 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

Maybe Tavis should hook up with brotha Cain on his NeinNeinNein tour.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

I really dislike that man… dislike a lot!

• 91 Ahero62
        January 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Me too! I didn’t know there was anyone out there who dislike Cain like I do. I can’t stand the guy and now he is back as a pundit getting all sorts of attention from the media.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I am so glad this happened, libra800, because it’s time that he, Cornel, and Maxine learned that they don’t speak for all black Americans. Somehow, I knew this would happen. Black Americans strongly support PBO, and I would say that it pains many of us to see people like Smiley hurting instead of helping him move this nation forward. He shouldn’t be able to tear down instead of build up and profit from doing it. PBO was a community organizer who empowered the disadvantaged. These others just want to make a quick buck off of them and return to their gated communities to count their money

• 94 DreamChaser57
      January 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

This made me giggle with glee, the fact that Smiley had to go on Fox to air his concerns is quite telling…..

17. January 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

The only thing that worries me is that it happens to Romney too early. He’ll get the nomination, it might be tough to play this angle again. Or maybe not. Who knows…

• January 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

Sinks in! The reason it has not stuck yet, people have not had enough time to digest the information!

• 98 Mel
        January 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Jovi you are right a lot’s of people still do not know much about Mitt other than he is marmon and he is very
        rich, but what people do not know is how Mittt made his Millions, by dumping and closing bussines for bif
        profits. Mitt realy does not give a SHIT about working people, that work hard for a living. And let’s remember
        the GOP play teh Rev Right for a very long time 24/7.

• 99 halo
      January 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

BWD, I actually think it’s going to be potent in the general in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania. These are places that have been dismantled through globalization and Romney was part of that. Especially once PBO starts making the case that he saved manufacutring in America, trying to make America a place wher eyou can make high quality products with the best workers in the world.

We’re going to tie this aroudn his neck and sink this two faced, slimy, liar.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:04 am

The Romney campaign is trying to make this primary a referendum on Romeny’s Bain career. When almost 2/3 of GOP voters want other choices I wouldn’t be so ready to think that Romney’s career as a corporate raider won’t be an issue after NH.

• 109 Don
      January 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

Oh don’t worry about that BWD, Romney is pregnant with opportunities to attack.

• 110 prettyfoot58
      January 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

BWD….

this is from the art at the top of the page:

what is a brokered convention….

• 112 Lovepolitics2008
      January 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

BWD, at this point I’m beginning to think that Romney won’t be the nominee because he’s sinking too fast.

• 113 Obama Grandmama
      January 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Actually, I have been reading hints that if Romney looks unelectable there may be a brokered convention. That to me is a worry since getting someone else in there at such a late date may not give the Dems enough time to research and it could stir up excitement for the GOPs. Who do you think might get drafted if they had the choice of anyone they wanted to run against Obama?

18. January 10, 2012 at 10:45 am

I just saw Governor Jan Brewer on cspan, she looks like Yoda!

19. January 10, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wyden???

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) on Sunday slammed the bailouts of financial institutions supported by Presidents George W. Bush and Obama, as well as most of Congress, at the beginning of the recession in late 2008 and early 2009.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:02 am

With people like him, who needs Repugs?

• 118 JoJothecat
        January 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

If we had not bailed out the banks and we went into a major depression folks like him would have complained that the government did noting and that’s why were in a depression! The banks were in bad shape but it was Bush that gave it to them with no strings attached. By the time PBO stepped in the damage was done and he spent the first two years of his presidency trying to undo the damage Bush did.

January 10, 2012 at 11:09 am

Wasn’t Wyden the one trying to team up with Ryan to form the Wyden-Ryan plan? This guy has an axe to grind with PBO, no doubt.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

Help me out here. Do people really think we would have all been OK if all the banks went under? WTH? What am I missing here?

• 122 DreamChaser57
        January 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Meta, what you are missing is that people are dim-witted! They mindlessly repeat talking points without thinking critically. These egomaniacs also love to be on television. The Right marches in lockstep, almost drone-like. Cain was dispatched to The View to defend the “blahs” comment, it’s disgusting. Yet, on the Left, people can still be widely considered a Democrat and not provide PBO with a lick of support in word or deed.

• 123 57andFemale
        January 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm

The bailout of the banks was necessary. The problem in selling that fact to the American people (other than a biased MSM) is that the banks received no consequences for their actions.

I remember the day John McCain thought he’d score points by trying to weasel out of a debate in order to go back to Washington to ‘solve the economic crisis’. Before he got there and emboldened Boehner et al., Chris Dodd, with [then] Senator Obama’s help had an agreement with Congress that had some teeth, some accountability, some auditing and some consequences. The Republicans were so scared of a complete bank failure, we had them pretty much captive. By the time McCain screwed things up, the banks got the money with no consequences.

Please guys don’t flame me (I’m having a terrible crisis at work), but many Obama supporters expected that the banksters and Wall St. would have to pay some price for bringing down the world economy. I’m not saying I expected bank CEO’s to be marched on perp walks in orange jumpsuits; but the fact that they returned to record profits and obscene salaries and bonuses almost immediately is a major reason some on the left were disappointed. Not only did they not have to bear any consequences, they turned on Obama because he had the audacity to even discuss common sense regulations being reinstituted.

I wasn’t thrilled with Geithner’s appt but reserved judgment. The idea was that he could talk to Wall St. to get cooperation. In my opinion, Geithner talked to Wall St. and came back to the President with the Wall St. line. Obama lost some support from his base, got nothing in return, and the fight against regulations was as brutal as it could be and it gave fuel to the tea party insanity of 2010.

None of this stuff is black and white. I adore this President. But Glenn Greenwald and the firebaggers are not the only voices of the disenchanted. I talk to a lot of people who are disappointed without being firebreathing asshats. It’s a reality.

I completely support that the banking system had to be stabilized. But there were no consequences, and they continued to reap records profits and salaries while the country was suffering and people were being tossed out of their homes and unable to make small business loans.

20. 124 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

OUR AMAZING PRESIDENT IS TOP OF THE LINE AND ON THE HIGH ROAD…THE GOP…AS USUAL…IS TREDDING WATER! GLUB…GLUB…!!!

21. 125 Don
    January 10, 2012 at 11:03 am

Growing up in Miami Florida I’m used to hearing Jose Diaz-Balart’s bullshit about taxes. These guys have never met a tax cut that they didn’t like. Every four years some Republican Presidential candidate comes around campaigning on getting rid of Castro, cutting taxes and ending welfare, never mind that the majority of the exile community in Miami and Fort Lauderdale lives on food stamps and welfare. And oh by the way Florida, namely Miami leads the nation in Medicaid and Medicare fraud.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I feel you, Don. I’m in GA where the theme of the day is “We need a flat tax!” and tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts is it’s companion. These tools elected the odious Nathan Deal in spite of knowing he’s ethically challenged and not fiscally conservative. They packed the state legislature with like-minded republicans. Now they’re screaming about the new fees the legislature has imposed. They never learn. I read their comments in the local paper online and just shake my head. They never learn.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

As a native, life-long Miami resident, I can attest to the fact that when the Nation flushes its toilet, all the shit ends up here…

22. January 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

Hey guys can we have some fun with Chuckie Todd today? He’s been pushing a lying meme that Pres Obama doesn’t like people and is not able to connect with people, especially one-on-one. He started it on Morning Joke who of course piled on and continued it on his show. Joe had the gall to say — get this — Mittens and Pres Obama have the same problem in that they are “awkward” with people. What a load of bull.

So I thought it might be fun to twitter spam chuck with our favorite photos of Pres Obama with crowds of all sizes, with kids, babies, and one-on-one. Chuck probably won’t change his lie, but I just thought it would be fun to annoy him.

January 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

Yes that’s a good idea. He might just start blocking folks though. That’s usually what they do when they don’t have a proper rebuttal.

• 130 dotster3
      January 10, 2012 at 11:19 am

That has to be one of the bigger lies of all time. I don’t understand how they think they can get away with that. We have had thousands of observed events with President Obama closely connecting with all kinds of people—–every category—-across our country and around the world. It’s an insane push by Obama detractors.

• 131 ChristiMTL
        January 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

It’s always been my point, how can they continue with that lie day after day when there’s tons of pictures and videos to prove the contrary, they have no shame.

• 132 Obama Grandmama
        January 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

The Republican anthem is to take an opponents strong point and try to turn it into a negative or just say that is their weakness. Remember the huge crowds in Germany before the election and suddenly Sen. Obama was a celebrity like Paris Hilton or Britanny Spears?

• 133 ChristiMTL
      January 10, 2012 at 11:20 am

So ridiculous…..they have nothing……I saw that part Proud and I turned it off right away. I never watch it but wanted to get the latest news from NH.

So…5 minutes is all I could take from that awful show.

Romney has no charisma, no charm, he get flustered easily, angry….he makes the stupidest jokes around people….awkward is the right word….

President Obama is the opposite…..he is so charming…..people love him, children love him

It’s a very good idea….not that Chucky will care or change his narrative………

• 137 Ladyhawke
      January 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

I am begging you, please send Chuck Todd the photos from this TOD post called “Child’s Play”. It’s one of my favorites.

• January 10, 2012 at 11:50 am

This

What a wonderful suggestion. This is how we focus our anger and frustration toward change. We tweet Todd so he feels the pressure, we feel stronger, and we get to look at pictures of PBO. Yowsa!!

• January 10, 2012 at 11:53 am

This is the stupidest attempt at a smear because people judge these things with their own eyes and their own experiences with each. Todd telling me this falls into the “Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?” category.

January 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Definitely…this “he can’t connect” meme is now so ludicrous it’s almost as bad as the birtherism meme.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Well I sent Todd a bunch of photos. It just felt good. Plus others seem them too. They see the lies media is trying to tell and we reinforce the truth. It was fun.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Oops that should have been “others see them.”

• January 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I don’t tweet, but I did just send him this email:

Dear Mr. Todd,

Earlier today you made the comment that President Obama is “awkward” with people. I have to agree with you, as the following photographic evidence shows. The unease just comes off these pictures.

Keep up the good work!

I hope he understands sarcasm.

• 147 Mel
      January 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Perfect let’s do it Chuckie is full of CACA and he knows it , but picture of the big crowds of people
      arounf PBO will speak valums.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I’m seeing all your tweets to Chuckie with beautiful photos of PBO getting much love. Sweet! Chuckie will definitely have a sad by the time it’s time to report the NH results. I love it.

• 149 Ladyhawke
      January 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Clearly, these young women could care less what President Obama has to say about anything.

Oct. 17, 2011
      “The West Wilkes High School “Struttin’ Hawks” Dance Team listen in rapt attention as the President delivered remarks on the American Jobs Act at West Wilkes High School in Millers Creek, N.C.”
      (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

• 150 Lovepolitics2008
      January 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

They are projecting. They are talking about “people” but what they are really talking about is the people in the Beltway. Barack Obama doesn’t get “chummy” with reporters , as opposed to Clinton or McCain who have always pandered to them ( I restrained from using some more vulgar language lol).

Same thing goes for all the political class in Washington. I have no doubt that Barack Obama treats them with respect and empathy. But he did go to Washington to be the president of ordinary people. He has never been interested in the cocktail circuit. It’s not his style at all but another reason is that his presidency has been exceptionally difficult with an unusual numbers of crises… Too much work and no time for “socializing”.

My feeling, and I don’t know of course if it’s accurate, is that the Beltway is kind of uncomfortable with this president because he doesn’t respect a whole set of unwritten rules in Washington. They don’t see him as “one of them”…

If there is a vulnerability to President Obama, it’s that he did a little projection himself. He is so serious and dedicated, has so much integrity and sense of purpose, he thought that given the gravity of the situation, many of Washington would get rid of their old habits and help him. He underestimated how superficial and ego-driven the Beltway was.

• 151 nathkatun7
      January 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Great Idea!

23. 152 Ladyhawke
    January 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

WAS WILLARD TRYING TO TEE UP: “I WANT TO FIRE PRESIDENT OBAMA”?

And it backfired? I know, I know, it’s over analyzing and conspiratorial. But it occurred to me that maybe what Willard was trying to do with his (clumsily executed) “I like to fire people” is tee up an opportunity to say we need to fire President Obama. But unfortunately for Williard the soundbite bit him in the arse before he could get to talking about firing President Obama. It’s fun to imagine, but In the end, it just looks like he stepped in it. The very anal, scripted and disciplined Mitt Romney blew his lines. (Maybe he should rethink those teleprompter insults). That soundbite just fits perfectly with the Gordon Gekko heartless CEO firing people.

The other thing that is so ironic is that Mitt Romney has been trying to run a general campaign from the beginning. They just knew that the economy was going to be a problem for President Obama. So right out of the gate Willard tries to portray himself as the only person capable of turning the economy around because he was a successful businessman. It took some time for his opponents and the media to focus on and investigate Bain Capital. But a closer look shows how dishonest Mitt has been. If his experience at Bain was supposed to be his biggest selling point, that is crumbling fast. Along with his self inflicted wounds, the wrath of a scored Newt Gingrich seems to be doing the most damage.

24. 153 sonjiaduncan
    January 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

Good morning all. Love the Union Leader web ad smart move.

25. 154 Linda
    January 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

Santorum Tries Again To Defend Racist Welfare Rant: I Said ‘Plives,’ Not ‘Black’

He maintains that he did not say “black” people’s lives but rather stumbled verbally when he was trying to say “people’s lives” and uttered a short syllable that came out as “plives.”

26. 162 FiredUpInCA
    January 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

“Crowd boos mentioning of McCain’s name at Santorum event”

Wow. I guess McCain/Palin was too liberal for Santorum supporters.

27. January 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

Good morning TOD family – all eyes on New Hampshire today. I find the Union Leader’s front page very appropriate. It’s the message we should all be shouting from the rooftops. Sunday’s canvassing in New Hampshire was great. We got a lot of really enthusiastic responses. Our team met one Ron Paul supporter and another “Obama – no way” guy, but they were the exception. People were either supportive of the President or at least willing to hear us out. One older woman mentioned the state of the economy. She had two of her grandchildren visiting and told us she was concerned about their future. That was our signal to talk about education, about building sustainable economic growth based on innovation and about the promise to give a fair chance to everyone willing to learn and to work hard. We also mentioned the progress made by the administration to move the economy towards that goal and the many initiatives to bring greater security and fairness to the middle class. She agreed and ended the conversation by saying that she had voted for Democrats more often than for Republicans and that we had given her something to think about. We left her with poll information and Tien Le’s talking points. We were still walking when it got too dark and too cold to continue. Driving back to Massachusetts, I felt more hopeful than ever and was reminded of my weekends in 2008 when I jokingly told my friends that I was off again to “Blue Hampshire”. I am convinced that the President will do well there as long as we all continue to listen to people and engage them in real conversations about the issues that matter.

28. 168 Don
    January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

When Bill Gates or Warren Buffett says that the Government is anti business then I’ll believe it. When some of the rich and ultra rich say that they are willing to pay more taxes, I just can’t get behind that bullshit about the Government being anti business.

29. 169 rikyrah
    January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

Posted: Tue, Jan. 10, 2012, 3:01 AM

Pennsylvania to impose asset test for food stamps
    By Alfred Lubrano

Inquirer Staff Writer

Pennsylvania plans to make the amount of food stamps that people receive contingent on the assets they possess – an unexpected move that bucks national trends and places the commonwealth among a minority of states.

Specifically, the Department of Public Welfare said that as of May 1, people under 60 with more than $2,000 in savings and other assets would no longer be eligible for food stamps. For people over 60, the limit would be $3,250.

Houses and retirement benefits would be exempt from being counted as assets. If a person owns a car, that vehicle also would also be exempt, but any additional vehicle worth more than $4,650 would be considered a countable asset.

Anne Bale, a spokeswoman for DPW, said the asset test was a way to ensure that “people with resources are not taking advantage of the food-stamp program,” funded by federal money.

• 170 Don
      January 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

But the interesting part rikyrah is that I’m sure some of those same people that receive government assistance will vote Republican come November.

• 171 57andFemale
      January 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm

The irony: it will cost more for the PA to monitor this than it will to provide help.

Let’s be clear: Republicans would rather inflict pain and pay for it (or rather have the middle class and the poor pay for it) than do anything remotely human.

30. January 10, 2012 at 11:23 am
  31. 176 sherijr
    January 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

Like all of you, I lovvve George Clooney & his politics.. and his smart support of President Obama… but how brilliant his answer was: “I root for the President of the United States”. Puts those Republican/PL folk right in their places on their willingness to sabotage the President.

32. January 10, 2012 at 11:36 am

No offense to all of your favorites out there in Pundit Land but I’m absolutely sick and tired of the constant Pundit Machine. It’s completely replaced the concept of news to the point that now all we have is a bunch of amateurs chattering day and night on TV and radio, hawking books and trying to BE the story. No more journalism, no more reporting. Just nothing but a lot of ill-informed opinions, hot air, conflict for the sake of conflict and mean-spirited drivel that passes for debate. They’ve infiltrated the blog culture, FB, twitter – leaving us with constant idiocy only interrupted by ads. UGH. UGH. UGH.

• 179 dotster3
      January 10, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wonder what Tweety meant when he said, “If I would be voting, I would vote for Huntsman because he’s American.” What??? Unbelievable.

• 182 donna dem 4 obama
      January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

You know during the holidays I was off work a few days and because I have a thirst for ALL things “Obama” I wanted to turn on that crap but I just can’t take it. It is just awful! A friend of mine knows Soledad O’Brien who has a new morning show on CNN and I watched it a couple of days since it aired last week just because I told my friend that I would do it but the stuff they talk about is terrible.

It’s interesting that when the media became a playground a few years ago when I would go into my local OFA office and people would bring up stuff that happened or was said on these shows they would plead with volunteers to turn that stuff off because it does nothing to inspire or help the President’s agenda.

I’ll just keep posting this research poll that tells us how our media feels about President Obama.

President Obama Gets the Most Negative Coverage of Any 2012 Presidential Candidate, Study Finds

“There was no week, in the 23 weeks that were studied, in which more than 10 percent of stories and blog posts about Obama were positive.”

• January 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Donna, thanks for reposting the info about that study.

I don’t know why but today it just really hit me again how much I despise that whole industry. My twitter timeline is full of nothing but Scarborough angst every single morning. No wonder he’s the highest rated pundit show.

And you’re right about volunteers. One of the greatest benefits of hanging around other volunteers is almost everyone is absolutely laser focused on the work at hand – re-electing POTUS.

33. 185 Ladyhawke
    January 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

The Lizza List: Five People Conservatives Should Blame if Mitt Romney Wins

Posted by Ryan Lizza

=================================

The 2012 Republican race has largely been shaped by the Republicans who declined to run. Mitt Romney has run a very smart and competent campaign, but he has also been unusually fortunate in that his competition over the last year has been almost comically inept. Here are the people conservatives can blame if Romney ends up winning.
    In other words, if Romney wins, conservatives have only themselves to blame.

=================================

34. 186 donna dem 4 obama
    January 10, 2012 at 11:43 am

hehehe :) ;) :)

But the media tells me that ALL the enthusiasm is on the Republican side. Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!

Slower than expected start to primary voting in Manchester

About 10 a.m., Ward 1 was swamped when Newt Gingrich and his supporters arrived. It stayed that way for the arrival about a half-hour later of Gov. Mitt Romney, according to Normand. But, other than that, voters are not crowding city polling places, especially if a comparison is made to 2008 when more than 50,000 people – or 75 percent of registered voters – cast ballots in the Presidential election, according to Normand.

He said in the past sign holders crowded the area outside Parker-Varney Middle School, where Ward 10 residents cast ballots and where there is historically a good Republican turnout. Today, he said, there were no sign holders.

35. 187 Don
    January 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

This idiot mayor from Manchester New Hampshire that says half of all students receive free lunch just said that he is endorsing Mitt Romney. Never mind the fact that to receive free lunch a student’s family has to hover somewhere around the poverty line, and never mind that Manchester has had to lay off teachers, firemen and cops. No, this fool is happily promoting the Romney motto that says I have to destroy you to save you.

36. 188 Ladyhawke
    January 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

DNC: YOU’RE FIRED

• 189 lovingandlaughing
      January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

That came out great! Great job DNC!

• 190 luci1119
        January 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Yes* lovingandlaughing*, I just know that Romney wishes that he could take those words back, because it really doesn’t sound good, or positive,or sensitive to other’s feelings. He do-doed and the he step In It, bif time. But hey, I’m loving It :-) :-)

• 191 Bill
      January 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

If Willard wins the Republican nomination he will be the biggest dork to ever run for Presidemt. George H. W. Bush and John Kerry were both war heroes and were considered out of touch and even wimps. Willard spent the Vietnam era in France trying to convince the French to give up coffee, cigs, and wine. Whenever I see Willard I am amazed anyone considers he could be nominated to be POTUS.

• 192 24Sass
      January 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Good one!

• 193 Dudette
      January 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Problem is there are too many people in the Party of Mean who would actually like someone like that leading the country.

37. January 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm

NH Predictions –

Romney 41% – NH is basically his home town and I think they circle the wagons. A big win for him.
    Huntsman 19% – He’s surging, but only to second place which is strong for him and will keep him in race much longer
    Paul 17% – About where he was expected, a little less. He needed Huntsman to stay in single digits.
    Gingrich 13% – Not a good showing, but ahead of Santorum, so he’ll like that
    Santorum 8% – Pulls a Huckabee here. Could be out after SC.
    Perry 1% – A complete non-entity
    Other 1%

38. 201 halo
    January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

““President Obama hasn’t been the leader I expected him to be on jobs and the environment,” says Eric Orff, 61, a lifelong independent who pulled the lever for Obama four years ago. “I don’t like the way he waits ‘til Congress or somebody else makes a decision — and then he decides to act.”

Guys, this is who we’re dealing with. It’s almost as if we need to re-educate the public on “How to Pass a Bill.”

January 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Halo, for every Eric Orff whose touted in the media as a disappointed Obama 2008 voter, there are at least 10 McCain 2008 voters that are now going to vote for Obama, but who you’d never hear about those in the media.

The media uses these few “disgruntled” Obama voters to spread their anti-Obama propaganda. That’s all it is. It’s not reality – it’s their wishful thinking.

Meanwhile this:

• 203 donna dem 4 obama
      January 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I understand your concern Halo. In fact I have written on this blog about folks that I have encountered that “feel” this way. It frustrates me that not only do we have to recruit new voters but we have to re-invent the wheel with some of the prior supporters. This is why OFA is doing so much more with the one-on-one contacts this time around. They are listening to the prior supporters and trying to address their concerns.

I know it seems elementary that people seem to have forgotten “how to pass a bill” but its more complicated than that. What this congress did to obstruct his policies are unprecedented. We here pay attention to this stuff but your “average” voter does not. All they hear is that this or that piece of legislation did not get passed. So they think that President Obama is lacking some intangible that other Presidents before him had since they have never witnessed a President who couldn’t get things that he wanted done accomplished at what seems to them to be a high level (because that is the way our media sells it to them).

• January 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I think that a lot of people got use to the way Bush did things and hey wanted PBO to act the same, only to the other side.

• 205 donna dem 4 obama
          January 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm

BINGO BWD!!!!

That is exactly the point. Bush was a bully and the Dems that were in Congress at the time (because of 9/11) coward to his wims. Bush was the 1st new media era President. Cable was growing when he was in office and social media was in its beginning stages. All people heard about was his tough stance on things and getting what he wanted passed. Along comes PBO and they expect the same to happen. PBO’s Party is all over the place (Conservadems, Blue Dogs, Progressives, Liberals) you name it we have it. We are the big tent. Herding these cats is a monumental job. Couple that what the outrageous obstruction that the Repubs have mastered and voila you have gridlock and frustration from prior supporters and/or Independents.

It’s far less about knowing how laws are passed than the perception that our lazy, sloppy media gives them of the Presidency on a day to day basis.

Who is up and who is down. Who won that fight or who loss ground with that piece of legislation. This is what the public hears everyday. No country can govern effectively like this. Our so-called 4th estate does this country a terrible disservice everyday.

• 206 57andFemale
          January 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

That’s it, BWD. It’s that simple.

• 207 Puddin'
          January 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm

It has been a long time since we have had a leader…folks don’t know what a real leader looks like, acts like, talks like for the reason you mentioned bwd (“W”)…I had this conversation with a client last night.

• 208 Ladyhawke
      January 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm

REPUBLICANS FOR OBAMA

Halo, your post reminds me of a comment I saw the other day at Republicans for Obama. Some folks are just content with willful ignorance. They hate President Obama and if they ever allowed themselves to “accept” the facts about his accomplishments it might give them pause. It’s so much easier to ignore the facts and go with the hate. Like climate change for example. It’s easier to deny it’s a problem because if you accept that it exists you have to do something about it.

If this Continues, Obama will not be Beatable

Excerpt from an interesting comment – Submitted by darling on Sun, 01/08/2012 – 7:45pm.

I am concerned about the sheltered and narrow thinkers like her when they go to the voting booth. These people are either too lazy to learn about the political process and they believe it is enough to rely on their family and friend’s opinions or they are just bent ideologically and indoctrinated to the degree that there is no interest in being an independent thinker. This was an eye opening experience for me to know that in these dangerous political times, there are still people with their heads stuck in the sand of “denial”. I have come to accept that there will be people who will oppose Obama without question in our society. However, I do believe a large portion of our society has been EDUCATED immensely by observing the riff RAF between the democrats and the Republicans. There were a lot of race baiting and sexist comments made by the Republicans that will not be FORGOTTEN when we go to the voting booth. I do believe a large portion of Americans will be able to discern the difference in the hardcore media attacks against Obama during this election year. The vast majority of your well informed Americans will not be fazed by these massive deceptive media attacks that the republicans will unleash against Obama!!!

Sadly, there will always be people who will be passive learners and they will soak up whatever the media says but then there are those of us who have a solid foundation and will not be moved by the changing of the winds of the Republican con artists attacks!!! I believe there are more of us than it is of passive learners who will believe anything!— I am concerned but I don’t live in this perpetual fear that Obama will be brought down easily by some Republican hyperbole attack!! Sorry for this lengthy comment lol

• 209 smoothscotch
      January 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Didn’t anyone of them have the decency to educate this person about the process? I don’t understand why a lot of so called educated people think the President is King and can do whatever he wants. shaking head, he’s 61 yrs old. Outstanding.

39. 210 halo
    January 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I hope PBO after SOTU starts going out there and doing some town halls. He’s always good at that and he can explain what he did!

40. January 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Good Morning TOD family

Been catching up and am so delighted to read all your comments.

For those of you who want to “do something” I have 3 suggestions. These mini “call to actions” will help us build up our campaign muscle.

1. Contact Sherrod Brows to complain about his wife’s comments about FLOTUS
    Brown, Sherrod
    http://brown.senate.gov/contact/ (email form)
    (202) 224-2315

@SenSherrodBrown Twitter

Toll Free: 1-888-896-OHIO (6446) or

Cincinnati: (513) 684-1021
    Cleveland: (216) 522-7272
    Columbus: (614) 469-2083
    Lorain: (440) 242-4100

2. Let Senator Shaheen know we expect her to support President Obama (she was tacky on morning Joe)
    Twitter – SenatorShaheen (202) 224-2841

email contact form = http://shaheen.senate.gov/contact/

3. Participate in the “Send a picture to Chuck Todd” listed above.

these 3 situations are no “make or break issues” but they are the perfect time for us to practice. Nervous about calling a Senators office, use this situation to get your feet wet. New to Twitter, practice today. The more we do this, the easier and more automatic it gets. So when we do a massive blog push we have all gotten the mistakes out of the way and we are ready.

One more detail, if you have trouble, can’t make Twitter work, not sure how to fill out the email form, etc, post that question here, others will have had the same issue and will appreciate the question and the blog’s answer.

41. January 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Latest winner of the SAVE award

Obama: a Super Duper Space Toolbox That Saves $$$

includes video of last years winner with PBO

42. January 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Wonderful video of PBO and the Google Global Science Fair Winners of 2012

All 3 are girls – how cool is that

43. January 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm

For the fifth day in a row, Mitt Romney has fallen in overnight tracking, but lack of movement by second place Ron Paul has insulated a likely Romney victory, according to the latest two-day Suffolk University/7News tracking poll of likely voters in the New Hampshire Republican presidential primary.

Romney dropped 2 more percentage points overnight but still holds a 13-point lead at 33 percent. The former Massachusetts governor has dropped a full 10 points from five days ago, when he had 43 percent of likely GOP voters.

Romney is followed by Paul (20 percent), Jon Huntsman (13 percent), Newt Gingrich (11 percent) and Rick Santorum (10 percent), while Rick Perry and Buddy Roemer combined for 3 percent with 12 percent undecided.

Mittens is just sooooooooo loved by the electorate. :roll:

Poll results here: http://www.suffolk.edu/50463.html

44. January 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

The US Saves another group of Iranians

45. January 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm
  46. January 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm

SMDH.

Rick Santorum said Monday that comments he made last week in Iowa about food stamps that some construed as racially charged were the result of his having been tongue-tied and were not a reference to black people.

Moreover, he said he has done more in black communities “than any Republican in recent memory.”

Story here: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/01/10/401322/santorum-tries-again-to-defend-racist-welfare-rant-i-said-plives-not-black/

47. 226 Linda
    January 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Grrr…

Just got an audit letter from IRS for 2010…..they want $4,625.00…

Their mistake though.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

The blahs must be hammering Tavis.

• 232 defytheodds
        January 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Excerpts : Asked about his past criticisms of Obama, and his statements, reported by the Huffington Post, that the president had failed to invite him to the White House or appear on Smiley’s radio or television program, West insisted he has never uttered a personal criticism of the president, and that the statements about not being invited to the White House were simply an answer to the reporters question.

Still, he called Obama the first president of many to not extend such an invitation, though he said he “doesn’t lose sleep about it.”

Smiley insisted that he is wrongly called a “critic” of the president, saying that holding the president accountable is his “job.”

He said he’d done the same when it came to former president Bill Clinton, and former President George W. Bush and his father, former president George H.W. Bush.

“My job has always been to hold presidents accountable to the best interest of all Americans but specifically and unapologetically for [African-Americans],” he said.

He also denied that past comments made by West were either criticisms or inflammatory, saying that when West called Obama “a mascot of Wall Street” and a “puppet of plutocrats,” those were accurate statements.

“It’s just funny to me that people get more riled up and more excited and more angry about what I may or may not say about the president than they do about the crisis in black boys. If Negroes could get half as mad at what black boys are enduring as they do when Cornel West or Tavis Smiley says something, we might get something done.”

———
        The interview was conducted last Sept. but his attitude has only gotten worse. And, I don’t think he even sees it or want too.

From Politico: Tavis Smiley, the PBS talk show host who has criticized President Barack Obama for not doing enough for the African-American community, says he was ousted as the speaker at a Martin Luther King luncheon because he was trying to hold the president accountable.

“I don’t see my role as one of criticizing the president. I see my role as one of holding the president – this and every other president-accountable,” Smiley said on Fox News on Monday. (Yes, on Fox News!)

• 233 Pamela
        January 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Oh those plives, never know when to hold their tongue!

• 234 smoothscotch
        January 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

GOOD.

• 235 nospin
        January 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm

he is right. Tavis isn’t an Obama critic.

critic – “One who forms and expresses judgments of the merits, faults, value, or truth of a matter”.

Tavis is an Obama hater.

hater – “A person that simply cannot be happy for another person’s success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person.

Hating, the result of being a hater, is not exactly jealousy. The hater doesnt really want to be the person he or she hates, rather the hater wants to knock somelse down a notch”.

• 236 24Sass
      January 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’m not buying his excuses. I’ve heard him say things and seen him with West tearing up President Obama.

January 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Sure, we believe you, Tavis.

Newt takes down President Clinton, because he had to ride on the back of AF1.

Tavis tries to take down President Obama, because he’s never been invited for a chat at the White House.

Will this have a negative impact on anyone other than Newt or Tavis? Well, Newt’s a has-been and Tavis is a teevee host. On the other hand, Barack Obama is the President of the United States of America. I rest my case, Tavis.

48. January 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Chips…can you check this site out and perhaps have a blog roll link to it? http://freespeechforpeople.org/
    Their purpose it to over turn the Supreme Court ruling that declares coorporations are people. Their co founder just released a book,
    “Corporations Are Not People”, with this forward bt Bill Moyers, ““Rarely have so few imposed such damage on so many. When five conservative members of the Supreme Court handed for-profit corporations the right to secretly flood political campaigns with tidal waves of cash on the eve of an election, they moved America closer to outright plutocracy, where political power derived from wealth is devoted to the protection of wealth… How to fight back is the message of this book… What Clements calls the People’s Rights Amendment could be our best hope to save the ‘great American experiment.’”

Because of their actions yesterday theyt won an incredible victory in the Montana Supreme Court, which stunned the nation with a ruling that sets up the first direct challenge to Citizens United. Boldly defying the U.S. Supreme Court, the Montana court voted 5-2 to uphold Montana’s century-old Corrupt Practices Act, which bars corporate spending on elections. Please TOD family check them out. We need to fight money with millions of people demanding our rights as people over corporations.

49. January 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Help lay the groundwork for November—host a watch party for the President’s State of the Union on Jan. 24th:

OFA.BO/2PEkX2 #SOTU2012

One of the most interesting and effective ways to charge volunteers is to have a house party or get together at a local cafe or bar. It’s fun and people really want to join in and help in follow-ups.

50. January 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Ok, crowdsourcing time!!!

I got a reply back from Chuck Todd about his “awkward” comment:

Not sure it was me that used “awkward” — I said he was not comfortable as a populist, I believe it was another person on the panel who used awkward.

I’m tired but I can’t imagine I would have used the word “awkward”

I need tape!

51. January 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I follow a blogger on twitter named @Karoli and she is several chapters into the book. She just tweeted that the Halloween party being a secret was not the author’s framing but Fox’s. She’s been tweeting her comments since this morning and she says she has mixed feelings. Some parts portray FLOTUS as her admirers see her other parts are exaggerated or just unnecessary.

If anyone wants to see her opinion just follow @Karoli

January 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The problem is that Ms. Kantor (the author) is not pushing back on the way the book is being framed in the media – in fact she seems to relish it. For example, regarding the same Halloween party story, she tweeted this in reference to the WH’s response to the story

Then Ms. Kantor tweets this about the conflict involving Gibbs, Flotus and Jarrett :

January 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Also Kantor is choosing words that have the potential to be interpreted in a negative or inflammatory light. for example she describes one time when just briefly saw Malia & Sasha (in passing) on separate occasions. Yet from her tweet here, you would think that she routinely “ran into” them or that she interacted with them (which she didn’t).

• January 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

She’s almost like a parody of herself.

• January 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm

to those this may offend, I apologize for the wording but the meaning remains the same. Jodi Kantor is a m-fing bitch! Looks like her tweets are meant to taunt and solicit. She’s a mealy mouthed azzhat!

• 260 nospin
          January 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

and folks are falling for it. Time, energy and money would be better spent donating $24.00 as suggested by Diane to PO’s election.

I refuse to click on a link, read an article or watch any media discussion on this book. The closest I get is skimming the comments here at TOD.

January 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

lisa you are forgiven, no hard feelings because I feel the same way about that bitch Jodi Kantor.

January 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

“I root for the President of the United States,” too, George!

Go, George Clooney! Fund-raise all you can, sir!

53. January 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm
  54. January 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm
  55. 266 Dudette
    January 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Romney Blows Off Uninsured Voter, Blames Obamacare

“At a town hall in Bedford,New Hampshire on Monday, Mitt Romney encountered an uninsured voter who pressed him on his opposition to universal healthcare.

The uninsured voter, a woman who seemed desperate for some words of hope regarding her lack of healthcare insurance. Instead of any hint of compassion – or even an actual response to her need for healthcare – Romney brushed the woman off with a grin and what seemed to be a jab at Obamacare before he cast his gaze elsewhere.”

Video, in case, it isn’t available from the above link:

• 267 Dudette
      January 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Text of their exchange:
      “When you signed into law Romneycare, I was excited,” the woman said. “You seemed proud to do that. And then when the country copied you, it just seemed like there was hope for people like me.”

“How have you done since then?” Romney asked flippantly, talking over her.

“I don’t have health care, sir, and I’m scared,” she said.

“That tells you something doesn’t it?” Romney said. “Tells you something.”

————————
      Well folks, that’s the kind of leader the Republicans think should run our country.

56. January 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Well, Pres Obama got more votes than Repubs in Dixville Notch, NH.

“Of the 23 votes cast Tuesday, Romney received five and Paul received four. Huntsman received two, and Gingrich and Rick Perry each received one vote. Ten people voted for Obama.”

57. January 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

The Federal Reserve will pay $76.9 billion to the U.S. Treasury as part of an annual dividend it remits after covering its own expenses from interest on its ballooning bond portfolio and other gains.
    Total assets on the Fed’s balance sheet stood at a near- record $2.92 trillion on Jan. 4. The central bank expanded its portfolio by purchasing $2.3 trillion in U.S. Treasury debt, mortgage-backed securities and housing agency debt to push down longer-term interest rates once its benchmark lending rate hit zero in December 2008. The Fed expanded its portfolio in two rounds of asset purchases, known as quantitative easing.
    Because the Fed funds itself by emitting currency on which it pays no interest, or by paying 0.25 percent on the deposits banks keep at the Fed, the central bank enjoys positive interest income. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note was 1.97 percent at 11:27 a.m. today in New York.

Nice revenue for the Treasury!

58. January 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm

No Apologies
    Posted on 01/10/2012 at 12:32 pm by Bob Cesca
    I’m with DougJ on this. It’s okay to present an argument in favor of the president without prefacing it with a lengthy cover-your-ass speech about the things you disagree with — apologizing for his failures.

The “cool” wing of the progressive movement seems to require a preemptive apology before any complimentary words about the president or else you’re instantly laughed off as an animatronic Obamabot torn from the same cloth as the zealots who screamed “MUSHROOM CLOUDS!! SUPPORT BUSH OR DIE!!” But guess what? Even if you do qualify your support with an acknowledgment of mistakes, most of the more hard-lined cool kids will still think you’re an Obot or whatever.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

59. 277 Ladyhawke
    January 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

THE MIND REELS….

The independence of dumb

By pm carpenter

======================

Jon Hopwood, 52, an unemployed editor from the Concord [NH] area … was an enthusiastic, anti-war supporter of Obama’s in 2008 but turned on the president after he extended the tenure of George W. Bush’s defense secretary, Robert Gates, who implemented the White House plan for the Afghanistan surge.

“I’ve never voted for a Republican in my life, but I might this time,” said Hopwood.

Right, go get ‘em, tiger, that’ll show ‘em. To demonstrate your dissatisfaction with a Democratic president who inherited a Himalayan passel of problems created by Republicans, you go out there, Jon, and vote for the guys who created — not inherited — the problems.

=======================

• January 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hmmm…..so basically like many of the White PL movement, ol’ Jon here turned on the President, or President-elect as he was then in two weeks. Dumbasses do vote people. It happens.

• January 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

OY! these people are just….ugh! what is the reasoning behind that?

• 280 FiredUpInCA
      January 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm

So basically a guy who voted Democratic in 2008 now wants to hire a Republican in order to punish Obama for hiring an Independent.

Gates reduced the defense budget, and sold the military brass on ending Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Not exactly far right wing policies.

I constantly wonder why I am supposed to take voters like this seriously.

The number of asinine quotes I see coming from voters like this, Ron Paul voters and allegedly former Democrats who claim they want to see change, indicates that logic and research is not part of their process, emoting is.

Fortunately, early evidence suggests that these primary voters are likely to outnumbered by reality-based voters in the general.

• 281 Ladyhawke
        January 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

GOP: PBO NOT CLEANING UP THE MESS WE CREATED FAST ENOUGH

Isn’t it amazing. The Republican Party is basically saying President Obama does not deserve a second term because it is taking him too long the clean up the mess they created. To think that there are some Americans who will pick one issue that President Obama didn’t do perfectly and use that as an excuse to vote for the party that wrecked the country is just astonishing.

• 282 nospin
        January 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

until he proves he voted for PO in 2008 I would take his comments with a grain of salt.

• 283 nathkatun7
          January 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm

You know, nospin, I totally agree with you! Any Republican bent on dividing Obama Democrats can claim to have voted for Obama knowing fully well that there is no way of verifying it. The media, of course, is eager to parade these people in order to cover their propaganda and hatred of President Obama.

January 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Please I caution everyone to be aware that the media (at the GOP’s behest) is going to search far and and wide for these “type” of voters – folks who supposedly voted for Obama in 2008, but need an excuse not to vote for him and will say just about anything, whether or not it makes sense, as a reason they are no longer vote for him.

For every voter like Jon, there are 25 voters of the opposite type which you will NEVER hear about in the media. We all know that if former Obama voters were rushing to the GOP in droves as the media tries to pretend, they would not be flailing around like this. They are still not satisfied with ANY of their candidates and are resorting to all kinds of tricks and gimmicks to depress Democratic turnout.

• 285 TrumpDog
        January 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

THIS.
        Media is creating a narrative, just like when they put any and every PUMA they could find in front of the camera to complain about Sen. Obama. It’s what they do but it did not work then and I seriously doubt it will now.

• 286 nathkatun7
        January 10, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Hoepefruit, as always your comment is spot-on!

January 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Ladyhawke, that makes no sense at all. Didn’t these fools like Hopwood learn anything from 2010 with this showing the Dems and President you weren’t satisfied, thanks to people like him we got John Boehner as speaker, and the radical racists tea party running the do nothing Congress. So because Robert Gates remain to serve, Hopwood won’t vote for the President, but the Republicans who cause this country to be in this mess, and who want to take us back to the Bush ways, tax cuts for the rich, destroying Medicare and Social Security, cutting and doing away with every program which help the middle class and poor, but Hopwood would vote Republican.That is alot of B.S.

• 288 FiredUpInCA
        January 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Never in the history of a Democratic majority in the House or the Senate have they caused a downgrade of the full, faith and credit of the United States government. That has happened only one time in history. That disgrace is the responsibility of the voters and non-voters who gave a majority to the tea party in House of Representatives.

It is a lie to say that Democrats and Republicans are equally partisan. That historic downgrade, that only occurred under a GOP-dominated House, proves the unseriousness of every voter who insists there is no difference between the parties.

60. 289 DrDemocrat
    January 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Can’t wait for the BAIN BOMB! I want to see that movie!

61. 292 Dudette
    January 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Where are the folks from Schoolhouse Rock when you need ‘em?

Maybe more independents (and uninformed voters in general) complaining that “President hasn’t done (whatever it is they wanted done)” need a little schooling on the legislative process.

• 293 Ladyhawke
      January 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm

This is one of my pet peeves. Too many Americans just don’t know basic government 101. I keep wondering are they teaching civics in schools these days. I would love to see some initiative where maybe a website is created where adults can go and get a refresher on simple issues like how a bill becomes law, what are the roles and responsibilities of the three branches, what is a filibuster, etc. The 2010 midterms should be used to demonstrate what can happen with divided government when one side puts party over country and essentially renders the government dysfunctional.

• 294 MsKitty (@michelec64)
        January 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Do they even teach civics courses anymore? I’m serious. I remember taking social studies (aka civics) classes when I was in elementary school in the ’70s but it wasn’t offered at the schools I went to from junior high forward. I know in recent years some schools try to merge it with history classes to save money, but knowing how the government works deserves its own course. It’s shameful when many people from other countries have a better knowledge of our legislative process than we do.

• 296 Dudette
        January 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm

There IS a civics website for students — http://www.icivics.org/

Former SCOTUS Justice Sandray Day O’Connor has been promoting it for a while. I only know about it, because I remember someone commented on it here on TOD back in December and posted a link to this newstory:

I even spent a few minutes playing a couple of the games. :-)

62. 297 donna dem 4 obama
    January 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Ok I just watched the video tape of the section where Chuck Todd was accused of saying that the President was “awkward with people”. Chuck is right he did NOT say that. Those words were spoken by Joe Scarborough. Now folks I don’t watch these shows but we need to be careful accusing these people of things that they did not do or say. We have enough actual facts to pound them with that we don’t have to embellish this stuff just because we may not like a particular pundit.

• 298 donna dem 4 obama
      January 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

BTW here is the video. It starts around the 12:00 mark. Yuck…I had to wade thru all that to get to this part.

• January 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Donna.

Folks, I’ don’t watch these shows so I rely on your feedback about what these people are saying when I tweet. Please be sure who is saying what before you ask us to help get the word out. Thanks.

• January 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I originally made the post. My apologies if it was Joe who used the word “awkward.” However, I stand by the meme Chuck was pushing about the President not being able to connect. He pushed it on his Daily Rundown show as well. I will search for the tape from that show.

• 302 dotster3
          January 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

It has been a favorite theme of our beltway pundits. I’ve heard it repeated multiple times, notably with Tweety and Fineman. I’m guessing this originated with one of Fineman’s “sources” who was mad that Obama wasn’t having Congress over for grilled steaks every Sat. night.—- and for some back patting.

January 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I agree with you Proud. When a so-called reporter allows a rumor or saying to go unchallenged, they are just as guilty as the person who said it. Chuck Todd knew very well what he was doing..by repeating this over and over the average viewer doesn’t stop to distinguish whether it’s coming directly from the reporter or whether it’s coming from someone else. As long as the words are allowed to stand unchallenged, people start believing what they hear – regardless of WHO it originated from.

Chuck Todd as a journalist, knows this very well. He was damn well spreading propaganda that the President is unable to connect, and he is trying to wiggle his way out of it by saying that he didn’t actually use the phrase “awkward.” Did you challenge the person who used the word Mr. Todd, or did you simply go along with it as though it were a FACT?

• 304 donna dem 4 obama
            January 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm

That would have been fine had that been what we were asked to do but instead we accused him of saying something he did not say. I have no problem challenging his “journalistic” credentials (in fact I welcome that) but like I said I don’t watch this stuff so when I do go after them I don’t want them to be able to “wiggle” out of it because I am not being factual.

• January 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Ok TODers. I do so owe you all an apology regarding the “awkward” comment. It was made by Scarborough, and Chuck chimed in with Pres Obama doesn’t do populism well. On his own show, Chuck continued by saying the President struggled with connecting with people by making them feel that he feels their pain. I’ve included the clip and it’s at 5:08.

I apologize to you all. I certainly don’t want you to feel my reports cannot be trusted. Please know I will be more careful in the future. And if I can’t include a link, I will not post it.

• January 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Not to worry. I really appreciate how everyone passes on information and I love our twitter brigade! Just want to be sure we are as accurate as we can be. Thanks.

• 307 nospin
          January 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm

he did say that PO had trouble connecting with everyday people or something to that effect. That is when I changed the channel.

• January 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

No problem, proudofobama. I totally understand and I agree that they are all pretty much interchangeable anyway. Just want to be sure that if we’re targeting about specific language, we hit the right target.

• 309 dotster3
      January 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I thought that was the case as was reported here early—-that it was good ol’ Mornin’ Joke—-and then someone said it was Todd. I agree it is important to get the facts right, especially if there is going to be a reaction and push back.

• January 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Yep. Good thing I didn’t send any tweets yet.

63. January 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Derrick Rose posted this on his Facebook page: “President Obama is my man”, got many “likes”.

• 313 dotster3
      January 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I bet he liked that President Obama said he expected his Bulls to be standing next year where the Dallas Mavericks were standing yesterday. (I also liked Obama’s cute comment when the Mavericks gave Obama a #23 jersey—–he said he had that number before Jordan, that Jordan stole the number from him. )

64. 314 tally
    January 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm
  65. 315 OkeyO
    January 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Chips, Please lets all send DNC chair Debbie W. a thank you for strongly supporting our President, Andrea mitchel have been bringing up this meme since yesterday that the whitehouse hates women what a crack of !?#@s. she can ask her husband how he helped bring down this economy before our lovely President took office. Just have no place for ” Press On”

• 316 dotster3
      January 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Debbie was great, always on point, nothing anyone says rattles her. And Mitchell keeps using the book as a reference for all her questions and statements today about a WH in chaos. As if the book was gospel and did not contain multiple gross embellishments.

66. January 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm

President Obama has picked a strong advocate of immigration reform to head the Domestic Policy Council.

The White House announced Tuesday that Cecilia Muñoz, a former senior vice president of the National Council of La Raza, would replace Melody Barnes at the top of the council. White House press secretary Jay Carney announced the appointment during his press briefing.

Muñoz is now serving as the White House’s director of intergovernmental affairs and is in charge of outreach to state and local governments.

“The president has asked, she has accepted,” Carney said.

Melody bares old spot!

67. January 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Santorum Supported Individual Health Insurance Mandate In 1994 Republican Primary
    By Igor Volsky on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Rick Santorum regularly highlights his conservative record on health care reform by touting his successful election against former Sen. Harris Wofford (D-PA), a Democratic champion of universal health care reform who campaigned on guaranteeing insurance for all Americans by encouraging employers and employees to share the cost of health benefits. He expanded on the message following his surprising second-place finish in Iowa, “I’ve never been for government-run health care, never,” Santorum said to a crowd in Manchester, New Hampshire on Jan. 5. “Unlike the other two folks who are running here, who have supported individual mandates, who have supported top-down government health care, I never have.”

But as The French Revolution’s Nancy French discovers, Santorum did advocate for an individual requirement to purchase health insurance coverage — not in his general election challenge to Wofford, but in the Republican primary against businessman Joe Watkins. Watkins also backed the provision:

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/01/09/401038/santorum-supported-individual-health-insurance-mandate-in-1994-republican-primary/

68. January 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm
  69. January 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Gingrich Company Refuses To Release Freddie Mac Contract, Despite Permission |
    By Alex Seitz-Wald on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

Newt Gingrich has come under fire from fellow Republican presidential candidates for his relationship with troubled mortgage giant Freddie Mac, which paid his company $1.6 million for what former officials described as “build[ing] bridges to congressional Republicans.” Gingrich maintains he was not a lobbyist, and said he would love to release his contract with the company to prove it, but that Freddie Mac wouldn’t allow it. But when Freddie Mac said last week that they “welcome[d]” the contract’s release, Gingrich said he still couldn’t release it, because his former consulting company had to sign off. Now, that company — a division of Gingrich Group — is refusing to release the document. Gingrich technically severed ties with the company to run for president a few months ago, but some may wonder if the candidate influenced their decision.

70. January 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Romney Campaign Disavows 2002 Gay Pride Flyers
    By Igor Volsky on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:06 am

Mitt Romney spokesperson Eric Fehrnstrom is disavowing the now-infamous Gay Pride flyers the governor allegedly distributed to the gay and lesbian community during his 2002 campaign for the governor’s office in Massachusetts, claiming that the brochures were not created by the campaign:

BuzzFeed’s Andrew Kaczynski notes: “The Manhattan Institute’s Josh Barro told BuzzFeed he was a college intern for Romney’s campaign at the wage of $150 per month and the task of answering mail to Romney’s running mate, Kerry Healey. “On pride weekend, the campaign sent a contingent of about a half-dozen of us to the post-parade festival on Boston Common to hand out those flyers,” he said in an email. “The thing was organized by a full-time staffer,” he said, adding that he couldn’t recall her name.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/01/09/400619/romney-campaign-disavows-2002-gay-pride-flyers/

h/t Andrew Kaczynski

71. 332 dotster3
    January 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

OMG—this S.C. Repub who is on with Tamron Hall now—-Trey somebody—–looks and sounds exactly like someone right out of a Civil War enactment—–or Deliverance. Trey Gowdy is his name. He keeps talking about “conservative orthodoxy”. And sorry for this, but it looks like he’s sporting a home haircut—-by someone who was really mad at him at the time.

72. January 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

January 10, 2012 1:25 PM

Taking a sledgehammer to the foundation
    By Steve Benen

Mitt Romney has run into quite a bit of scrutiny lately, most notably about his background as it relates to jobs.

He said there have been times he worried about getting fired, and that wasn’t true. He said he “likes being able to fire people,” and that became a big headache. He’s being haunted by many of his unemployed victims. Romney’s also made all kinds of claims about President Obama’s jobs record, all of which have been debunked.

But the one claim that really matters is Romney’s insistence that he deserves credit for creating “over 100,000 jobs” at his private-equity firm.

The Romney campaign initially refused to substantiate the claim, which is never a good sign. Then it said the number is accurate just so long as one excludes all of the layoffs Romney’s firm made, and includes jobs created after he left the firm. Then Romney himself said the figure is a net total, after the layoffs are factored in.

Glenn Kessler returns to the subject today, and his assessment is less than kind.

73. January 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

THE DRUMBEAT BELTWAY NARRATIVE: THE OBAMAS ARE “OUTSIDERS” UNDESERVING OF WASHINGTON DC

I listened to Jodi Kantor’s interview this afternoon on NPR and together with the other media hack profiteers on the Obama Presidency, she is performing the role of gossip whore Sally Quinn. The beltway media has ramped up the NOISE about the Obama family being “misfits” in Beltway denizen’s aristocratic sanctuary.

In the interview Kantor told with relish the story about how the Obama’s chose insularity because they were so overwhelmed by PBO rapid ascent in popularity after the 2004 DNC convention. That they chose to turn inward to stick only to their existing friends (she quoted Craig Robinson saying “no new friends cuz we don’t know what trouble they’ll bring”). Kantor then concludes that if First Friends Marty Nesbitt and Eric Whitaker avoid talking to the Pres. about politics unless he brings it up, how can they be helpful to him?

The implied narrative here is one too familiar to African Americans — “Why do those blacks always sit together at the school cafeteria, they must be plotting something or hate white people”. Kantor is only extrapolating that old stereotype to the Obamas and the Presidency. Even if you are the most powerful man in the world, as an African American, you cannot escape the denigration that us mere mortals suffer. We’ve seen it time and time again and it’s just painful each time to watch the Obamas go thru this SHIT. If they can’t escape this RACIST HELLHOLE, which of us can!!!!!

I couldn’t take the interview anymore as I sit here in my office getting ready to go to teach class. I’m despondent. I’ll see you folks in 80 minutes.

• 336 prettyfoot58
      January 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm

The Powers that be….have a vested interest in maintaining this RACIST HELLHOLE….

to keep us divided…they whip up the fears of whites by using racist stereotypes to reinforce those notions…about black …and poor folks
      they create anxiety and anger in Black folks about our position in this country….

but zizi…we have not come this far…to turn back now…we have not come this far….to give up or give in…

we have the strength of kings and queens in our wings…

.Harriet Tubman….Sojourner Truth….Fannie Lou Hammer …my grandmomma…….all of the Black Women who struggled with dignity and courage to move us towards excellence…equality….justice….

as the President says….

I do not have time to feel sorry myself….i do not have time worry about that….i have to Presssssssss ON ….

soooooooo

zizi…keep your head to sky….as we stand shoulder to shoulder with me and all of the TOD family….

cause

WE SHALL OVERCOME!!!!!!!!!!

Presssssssssssss ON

(((((((((((((((((((((((hugggggggssss))))))))))))))))

74. January 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

January 10, 2012 10:35 AM
    Fighting on Democrats’ turf
    By Steve Benen

Take a guess who said this yesterday: “Voters are just now meeting the Real Romney — the buyout tycoon who executed takeovers, bankrupted businesses, and sent jobs overseas while killing American jobs.”

MoveOn.org? No, it was Rick Perry.

Let’s try another one: “Is capitalism really about the ability of a handful of rich people to manipulate the lives of thousands of other people and walk off with the money? I do draw a distinction between looting a company, leaving behind broken families and broken neighborhoods, and then leaving a factory that should be there.”

Bernie Sanders? No, it was Newt Gingrich.

Just over the last few days, Republicans targeting Mitt Romney have decided to go all in, going after the frontrunner’s career as a vulture capitalist — the guy who got rich orchestrating leveraged buyouts and laying off thousands of American workers. As John Dickerson noted, Romney’s GOP rivals are, whether they care to admit it or not, validating the larger Democratic line against Romney.

75. January 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Unlike Ronald Reagan Obama Doesn’t Use Government Hiring To Create Jobs
    By Ray Medeiros| January 9, 2012

It turns out the trajectory of job creation under both Obama and Reagan are very similar, about a 45 degree angle, from the depths of job losses to job creation and economic expansion. Here is the difference, when Reagan came into office the job losses were nowhere near as devastating as when Obama came into office. The other statistic I found was that President Reagan’s unemployment rate drop was helped significantly by all governments, local, state and the federal also hiring.

President Obama doesn’t have that luxury. President Obama’s private sector job gains have been off set by massive layoffs in the public sector. If the public sector was hiring as it did under Reagan, unemployment may be 8% or less today, rather than 8.5%. This is why the Republicans do not want to pass the Obama jobs bill, because they know that if the country can stop the bleeding of public sector layoffs, unemployment will drop and an Obama re-election would be inevitable.

Read more: http://www.politicususa.com/en/unlike-ronald-reagan-obama-doesnt-use-government-hiring-to-create-jobs

76. January 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Treasury secretary Geithner heads to Asia
    By Agence France-Presse| Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The US treasury secretary will Tuesday begin a trip to China and Japan to discuss new sanctions on Iran that could raise tensions between Washington and Beijing and pose difficulties for Tokyo. Both China and resource-poor Japan rely heavily on oil supplies from Iran and are under pressure from the new US measures, which aim to squeeze the Islamic Republic’s crucial oil revenues.

The sanctions, signed into law on December 31, aim to increase the pressure on Iran, which Washington accuses of pursuing nuclear weapons — a claim denied by Tehran.

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/10/treasury-secretary-geithner-heads-to-asia/

77. January 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Is New Hampshire Now “Off-Broadway” For The GOP?

The big opening is in South Carolina:

While Romney has been campaigning here, his poll numbers in South Carolina, and even in Florida, have been steadily rising. A recent Rasmussen survey of South Carolina showed Romney, who was back in the pack not too long ago, in the lead, slightly ahead of Santorum, and farther ahead of former South Carolina front-runner Newt Gingrich. … The fact is, for a Republican presidential candidate, the South is the big prize. It is the rock-solid base of the Republican Party.

78. January 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The Real Problem With Romney’s Gaffe
    Here is Romney’s “I like being able to fire people” quote, in context:

I want individuals to have their own insurance. That means the insurance company will have an incentive to keep people healthy. It also means if you don’t like what they do, you can fire them. I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. If someone doesn’t give me the good service I need, I’m going to go get somebody else to provide that service to me.

Aaron Carroll takes issue with the point Romney intended:

The real issue, unfortunately, is that very, very few people have the luxury that Gov. Romney is endorsing. Let’s say that you are self-employed, and lucky enough to have found a company to provide you with health insurance. Then, let’s say you develop cancer. You suddenly find out that your insurance company stinks. So you fire them, right?

Of course not. You’re screwed.

• 344 57andFemale
      January 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I, too, was horrified by the context — it’s just as bad as the “I like being able to fire people”, out of context.

I am self-employed. I am currently without coverage (although the high risk pool in IL is looking very promising). As my husband neared retirement age, we had to raise our premiums, cut our coverage and hope he’d make it to Medicare. My asthma was never covered nor anything to do with my lungs. I was told by a BCBS salesman that if I had a punctured lung in a car accident I would have to fight to get that claim paid. When my husband needed an ER on Christmas morning a year before he was Medicare eligible, BCBS denied his claim, after 25 years of paying premiums that covered NOTHING.

So it is completely crass to just ‘fire’ your insurance company. They aren’t in the business of keeping you well (another lie in that statement), they are in the business of collecting premiums for a service that they work valiantly to deny their customers.

It’s obscene. Mitt Romney is obscene as a human being. the republican party is obscene to consider any of these clowns worthy of being dogcatcher, much less President. Oh wait — I love dogs. I wouldn’t even let them do that…….

79. January 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Romney worried about pink slip? Bain gave him golden parachute
    By Greg Sargent| Posted at 02:42 PM ET, 01/09/2012

In a memo set to go out to the press this afternoon, Priorities USA Action is highlighting a June, 2007 Boston Globe story that detailed the circumstances of Romney’s hiring. According to the article (via Nexis), the company’s founder, Bill Bain, and Romney agreed on a whole bunch of safeguards built into his deal, so if he failed, he’d have a very soft landing, including getting his job back at a previous firm both men worked at:

Bain sweetened the offer. He guaranteed that if the experiment failed, Romney would get his old job and salary back, plus any raises handed out during his absence.

Romney had one more concern: the impact on his reputation should he prove unable to do the job. In the end, Bain agreed to craft a cover story if necessary, promising to bring Romney back to the consulting firm and explain Romney’s return as a matter of his being more valuable to Bain as a consultant. So,” Bain says, “there was no professional or financial risk.”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/romney-worried-about-pink-slip-bain-gave-him-golden-parachute/2012/01/09/gIQAPD4ylP_blog.html

80. 346 lovingandlaughing
    January 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Stephen Colbert did a great segment on Santorum and the supposed “blah” word. It starts at the 12.25 minute on last night’s show.

“bladder-infection people” it is funny, but the end is quite poignant and stephen gets the message across of how very ridiculous santorum’s story is.

81. January 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Msnbc does a better job than Fox, covering Republicans.
    And this channel is what oreily, beck and hannity call far left.
    I don’t get it?