Jan

evening all

Time: President Obama dismissed Republican rival Mitt Romney’s critiques of his foreign policy credentials in an exclusive TIME interview, saying the GOP frontrunner’s attacks are little more than primary posturing that will wither under the glare of “a serious debate.”

“I think Mr. Romney and the rest of the Republican field are going to be playing to their base until the primary season is over,” Obama told TIME’s Fareed Zakaria during a White House interview that will appear in the next issue of TIME magazine. “Overall, I think it’s going to be pretty hard to argue that we have not executed a strategy over the last three years that has put America in a stronger position than it was than when I came into office.”

More here

More here

ABC: Although it is not apparent on his financial disclosure form, Mitt Romney has millions of dollars of his personal wealth in investment funds set up in the Cayman Islands, a notorious Caribbean tax haven.

…… As the race for the Republican nomination heats up, Mitt Romney is finding it increasingly difficult to maintain a shroud of secrecy around the details about his vast personal wealth, including, as ABC News has discovered, his investment in funds located offshore and his ability to pay a lower tax rate.

More here

Greg Sargent: …. Take special note of the quote that one expert gave to ABC: “His personal finances are a poster child of what’s wrong with the American tax system.” …. this is very dicey for Romney. Dems want to paint Romney as the walking embodiment of everything that’s unfair about our tax system and of all the ways the system is rigged on behalf of the rich and against the middle class. This won’t hurt that case.

One wonders if these revelations – combined with the layoffs at Bain; Romney’s tax rate; the fact that his tax plan would give the very wealthy enormous tax cuts while raising taxes marginally on lower income people; and his penchant for saying things that perfectly feed the “one percent” storyline – will generate any concerns among Romney’s top backers about his electability.

More here

Media Matters: The Washington Examiner blog Beltway Confidential put up a post yesterday reporting that President Obama’s acting director of the Office of Management and Budget, Jeffrey Zients, worked at Bain & Company in the late 1980s. The Examiner suggested that this could “undercut attacks on Republican Mitt Romney’s career as a venture capitalist, because Zients and Romney are both alumni of Bain & Company.”

……. The criticism of Romney has focused on his work at Bain Capital, not his time at Bain & Company.

To be clear: Bain & Company is an entirely separate entity from Bain Capital …. The Drudge Report linked to the Beltway Confidential post with the headline “OBAMA PICKS BAIN MAN FOR OMB…”:

More here

ThinkProgress: Samantha Garvey, a New York high school senior who has been living in a homeless shelter and recently named a semi-finalist in the prestigious Intel Science Talent Search competition, will be Rep. Steve Israel’s (D-NY) guest at President Obama’s State of the Union address next Tuesday.

…. Israel told Newsday he was moved by Garvey’s story. “The State of the Union attracts the most powerful people on Earth, but I really think Samantha can teach them all a lesson in perseverance,” he said.

More: …. Michelle Obama is one of those people you sense before you see, her confidence somehow arriving on the scene a few seconds before she does. Even a roomful of antsy teenagers can feel it, leading them to fall silent moments before the first lady strides into the State Dining Room and greets them with a friendly “Hey! What’s happening?”

…. “They call me FLOTUS, for first lady of the United States,” she explains, noting that the president’s internal White House acronym is POTUS. “And there are many times when FLOTUS and POTUS feel like characters.” There have even been times, she says, when she’s craned her own neck to see which celebrity might be causing all the excitement. “And it’s me. Oh, man, it’s FLOTUS. FLOTUS is here. No one told me FLOTUS was coming.”

….. “But sometimes,” Obama tells her class of mentees, “I just want to be Michelle. So you guys have to start slowly seeing me as Michelle, all right?”

More here

Thanks CTGirl

The biggest news of the day (well, in Tally-land)

Congratualtions Tally!

212 Responses to “evening all”

1. January 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm

so I see the twitterverse is all a buzz becasue Drudge is saying that ABC has an interview with Newt’s ex-wife Marianne in the can but ABC is waiting to air it until maybe after the SC primary so that it won’t hurt Newt???

WTF. I guess the establishment is really trying to anoint Mittens ain’t they.

ETA: Now reports saying the interview is likely to run tomorrow. Just in time for the debate????

• 2 Drdemocrat
      January 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm

It doesn’t matter what his wife said about him.

• January 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm

it doesn’t matter to us, but it seems to matter to the conserv bunch who chose Santorum over Newt and from reports it had a lot to do with his 3 wife situation.

Since it’s being touted by Drudge (who at this point is the establishment mouthpiece on the internet, it’ s where all his sources are from anyway) then the interview must contain something or might contain something that conserv can use against Newt who’s from all accounts have been showing a “surge” since the debate.

2. 7 Drdemocrat
    January 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm

3. 9 nintendowii10
    January 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Infinity!

• January 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Woooooooooooooooooot! Aw, I miss the good old days:

:-(

• 16 tally
      January 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Now I can change my desktop wallpaper from this great moment of David FINALLY being a Galaxy team member, and not David (baby jesus) Beckham:

to THIS:

• January 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Is that Galaxy’s squad for the new season?

• 18 tally
          January 18, 2012 at 7:40 pm

That’s The Hobbit Official Dwarf Sexy Squad™ babe. Come on – look at all that HAIR!!!

And you know these men can cook – because they can eat. Now, where’s my half pint of bitter?

• 19 JoJothecat
            January 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Please please please whatever you do Tally, DON’T WEAR SPARKLE NAIL POLISH to a Galaxy game or they may lose! (See the Ed Show of the Packer Fan crying over their lose because she wore green sparkle nail polish, hahahahahah) I don’t want that to be you :)!

• 20 tally
            January 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Never fear JoJo – sparkle nail polish is no where near my – style. Besides, I have my own superstitious OCD mojo. This last season I had a special Bardgal 17 jersey I wore to every home game – WHICH WE NEVER LOST.

*magic*

This season I’m hoping the rare Magee GK jersey does the trick. *fingers crossed*

4. 21 SueBee
    January 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Michelle Obama looks so beautiful..I just love the Obamas ;)

5. 24 dotster3
    January 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Whoa—-beautiful cover of our beautiful FL! I like the exposure. Get to know the real Michelle Obama from her words, not from the imaginings of others.

6. 26 collegekay
    January 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Love the cover of TIME. PBO is a thinking man. Mrs O. looks gorgeous on the more magazine cover.

• 27 utaustinliberal
      January 19, 2012 at 2:09 am

I like the TIME cover too. It certainly depicts a thinking man who can juggle more than one thing at a time. The magazine cover of FLOTUS is gorgeous and the excerpt of the article just makes people love her more.

7. 28 defytheodds
    January 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I don’t know if this been posted.

When you account for the fact that most people also pay payroll taxes, and don’t enjoy enormous deductions, credits or other benefits, you see that Romney’s making out about as well as a taxpayer who makes $50,000 a year. Not bad for a man whose net worth is estimated to be in the neighborhood of a quarter billion dollars.

Chart Of The Day:

8. 29 Drdemocrat
    January 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Until Romney releases several years of tax returns I think the media is going to continue to HOUND him. I know the Obama team will.

January 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Exactly. This year alone won’t fly. He needs to release at least the last 4 years (we’ve seen the same from PBO). He’s hiding something – he’s hiding A LOT of things actually.

9. 31 JojoRaze
    January 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I love the Michelle cover of More. They didn’t over PhotoShop her…Thank goodness…I hate when they do that and for some strange reason they always do it to her hairline.

• 32 TrumpDog
      January 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I agree. It’s a very pretty pic of her.
      And my president on TIME mag. YUM. I’ll be sure to pick up a copy.
      I feel like the people who say they buy Playboy for the articles when you know they just want to look at the pictures. I’m buying because I want to look at my president. I so love him.

• 33 isonprize
      January 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm

JojoRaze. RIGHT. They always photoshop her hairline because magazine cover people don’t seem to be used to what the hairline of a black women with a perm looks like. Unless she just came from the beauty shop, the texture of the “new growth” is going to be different from the rest of the hair on her head. Apparently, that seems to bother whoever is the big boss of magazine cover photoshopping… :lol: :lol:

10. 34 LOL
    January 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Miche is gorge. And the prez aint too bad either.

11. 38 dotster3
    January 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

With all the exposure of Romney’s off shore accounts, I am going to laugh real loud if he ever has the nerve to say how much he loves America or professes his patriotism. Someone who has hidden his vast sums of money away to avoid U.S. taxes has no loyalty to this country, feels no gratitude or responsibility to give back or to help ensure this country’s health and progress. It’s greed on steroids, and it’s ugly, and how in the world could anyone justify voting for someone like this for POTUS?

• 50 defytheodds
      January 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Little background on video:

As a companion to their recently released comic book, M.I.T. health care economist Jon Gruber and illustrator Nathan Schreiber teamed up with the Center for American Progress to produce an three-minute animated explanation of how the health reform law works.

This video needs to be wide spread; b/c it’s really good in explaining the ACA.
      Maybe the Supreme Court needs to be sent a copy. :)

January 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

This is FABULOUS! I posted this yesterday, but I think it got lost in the shuffle…we DO tend to talk a lot here! Thanks so much for posting this…must see TV!

12. 54 vitaminlover
    January 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Mrs. Obama is so beautiful!! This year is the year of OBAMA!!

January 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

You got that right – and it will be even BETTER than 2008. The whole world will be tuned in, as a matter of fact probably the entire universe will be tuned in… It will be an EPIC occasion when our President is re-elected.

• January 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Yes! Very good picture in the Magazine!

• 57 defytheodds
      January 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Yes She Is!

And PBO looks so grounded, thoughtful, and cool at the same time.
      His temperament is so totally presidential and what this country needs to keep in the White House…

13. January 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Wow..I was so busy typing the comment below, I didn’t realize until I posted it, that I was left all by my lonesome on the previous thread. And man when I click over I see you guys have already 26 commnets posted.

I just love reading every one’s comments. Like I said before, I may not comment often but I’m always here lurking to see what Momma Chips has posted, and what you guys have to say afterward.

As the shoes continues to drop revealing just what a flawed candidate Romney is, the republican establishment will become more panicked, because they’ve placed all their eggs in the Romney basket.

The following article was tweeted earlier today..sorry but it links to Huff & Puf, but if this topic is brought up in the debate Thursday, it may spell the end for Romney. It seems that Bain has invested in the company Stericycle, which handles the disposal of aborted fetuses from Planned Parent hood and other clinics around the world. Sure the article said that Bain invested in the company after Romney left to run the Olympics, but he’s still receives payouts from the investment.

Mitt Romney’s Bain Capital Invested In Stericycle, A Company Now Targeted By Anti-Abortion Activists

14. January 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Funny- isn’t it?
    The President announces he is going to Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, etc.
    All of a sudden, out of the blue, a GOP poll comes out saying that Obama gets creamed in nevada.
    Out of the blue, Viola! Poof!
    The President had good polls today, until…

Never fails, only this time they did not wait a day. I mean losing Nevada by 11 points. Lol. Lmao. Lol. Hahahahaha. Lol! What a joke.
    That is bunk poll, yet they think we are dumb!

15. 85 TrumpDog
    January 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Oh wow! I just checked my mail and guess what I got today?
    The MORE mag.
    Too cool.

16. 95 nintendowii10
    January 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Grrrr………….. Ron Paul trolls are flooding the YouTube comments on the Obama for America 2012 TV AD vid :mad:

January 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Of course they are. don’t they have a bunker to build, gold to buy, racist remarks to memorize and pot to smoke?

January 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Some of the “Ron Paul” internet personas are paid operatives of the Koch industries. The Koch brothers are rooting for ROMNEY, make no mistake about this. They are trying to distract with this Ron Paul business and MSNBC is in on it as well. Ron Paul does not actually have this level of support as the Internet sites would have you believe. I realized this when I saw the votes he got in Iowa, with only 4% comprising the youth vote.

• January 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Again. Their is a lot of hatred there!

• January 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Will that ad actually run on tv also?

• 101 halo
      January 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm

F’IN RON PAUL TROLLS. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE.

January 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love my President.

18. 103 anniebella
    January 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

So Obama campaign will start advertising as early as Thursday, well to the GOP clowns let me say the battle has begun. May the best man win. And that best man is Barack H. Obama. President Barack H. Obama 2012-2016

19. January 18, 2012 at 8:06 pm

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama, set to unveil a new policy for boosting U.S. tourism, has chosen a fairy-tale setting for the Thursday announcement: Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, with its iconic Cinderella Castle as a backdrop.

And if some Disney magic rubs off on his re-election bid, too, then so be it.

The event, details of which were made public Tuesday, is the first of what is sure to be many election-year visits by the president to Florida. Obama carried the nation’s largest swing state in 2008, but he faces a heavier lift this year in a state where the unemployment rate remains above the national average.

Though specifics of his tourism plan were hazy, one topic tops the political wish list for Central Florida tourism: visa reform. The tourism industry has been pushing Congress and Obama to make travel to the U.S. easier for visitors from emerging nations such as Brazil, India and China.

• 106 Elly in Maryland
      January 18, 2012 at 9:56 pm

This visa issue is important. I have friends and family overseas who I feel should be more eager to come visit (now that Bush isn’t President anymore) but they don’t want to bother with all the visa hassles. Even people who live in countries that are our allies – France, Germany, etc – I believe have to jump through a lot of hoops to come here.

20. January 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm

The U.S. Conference of Mayors is out with a new report that describes the economic beat down American cities endured at the hands of the Great Recession.

The goal of the report is to remind lawmakers that U.S. cities drive the economy, and that cuts in federal aid and legislative gridlock hurt the nation’s economic engine. Here’s the conclusion:

This report has documented the crucial role metro areas play in enabling the nation reap the benefits of international trade. Demand for US exports will be a vital driver of economic growth in the coming decades.

Exports will be more important than ever in this decade of retrenching consumers and governments, both burdened by massive debt.

21. 108 CFK1
    January 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

2 Days of Prayer for Romney Not to Win South Carolina or Repub Nomination

Hi all,

Please join me in 2 days of prayer (with optional fasting) for Mitt Romney not to win the South Carolina primary, or the Repub nomination. I shudder to think what would happen to the country if this sort of man were to be president. Unfortunately, some appear to be swayed by his “I have business experience” argument, so let’s do what we can to ensure that he doesn’t have an opportunity to make that pitch in the general election.

Dates of Special Days of Prayer: Fri, Jan 20 and Sat, Jan 21, 2012
    (Sorry I’m just posting info on this now. It was a last minute idea to do this. I’ll give more of a heads up next time.)

Time: Please pray at whatever time works best for you.

• January 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

No offense, CFK, but I’d honestly prefer if those of faith here saved their prayers on the blog for positive things. We don’t like so-called ‘believers’ who pray ‘against’ PBO, so let’s not mimic them here. Thanks, hope you understand.

January 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

CFK1 our President needs our votes, our volunteer efforts at registering new voters, phonebanking, knocking on doors. Also, helping to disseminate information about the good things that the administration is doing, while combating lies and distortions from the media. An informed electorate leads to a responsible government and a prosperous country.

• 113 collegekay
      January 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm

No offense, but as a believer I only pray for positive things. Hope you understand.

• 114 JoJothecat
      January 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Hi CFK! My prayers or FOR something good..heal the sick, starving,jobs,safety of our president and first family. I would not waste a prayer on these GOP unless it’s to soften their hearts to stop the evil and hate against the poor, minorities and the first family.

• 115 vero804
        January 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Well if Mitt Romney loses, that’s a positive or good thing, no?

LOL…I’m just playing with y’all. ;-)

• 116 CFK1
          January 19, 2012 at 1:06 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your feedback. I’ll go ahead and update my original post. Vero804, thanks for the humor (plus, on a more serious note, I agree with you).

I’ll revise the post to make it more general, and then those participating can implement the prayer in a way that they believe is right.
          I’m from a religious background in which our Scriptures show us to pray both for positive things and against negative things. However, I understand that people who pray come from various faith traditions, so I’ll make some changes.

Update:

2 Days of Prayer for U.S. Elections – Fri, Jan 20 & Sat, Jan 21, 2012

Hi all,

Please join me in 2 days of prayer (with optional fasting) for the U.S. elections.

Dates of Special Days of Prayer: Fri, Jan 20 & Sat, Jan 21, 2012 (The South Carolina primary will be Sat, Jan 21.)

Time: Please pray at whatever time works best for you.

More details: Do a partial-day fast, full-day fast, or skip fasting altogether —whichever works best for you. If you don’t feel comfortable praying for a particular result in the Repub primary, then please pray for PBO to win in the general election. It’s not too early.
          I’ m sorry I’m just posting info on this now. It was a last minute idea to do this. I’ll give more of a heads up next time.

22. January 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Not sure if this has been posted already….

Competing stats from pollster Gallup say unemployment is lower than feds believe:

Pollster Gallup, which offers a monthly measurement of U.S. unemployment that competes with that of the federal government, says that joblessness is at 8.3 percent in mid-January on an unadjusted basis.

This is an important difference from the numbers offered monthly by the U.S. Department of Labor. The DOL numbers are calculated on a seasonally adjusted basis, which takes into account predictable seasonal ups and downs. The most recent DOL report said unemployment was at 8.5 percent in December on a seasonally adjusted basis.

23. January 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Where Obama is to the left of his progressive critics

Smartypants is beyond brilliant.

• 119 nintendowii10
      January 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

This reminds me of the Newsweek article “Why Obama’s critics are so dumb.” I haven’t read it and I know that the right are having a fit over it, but I have a feeling it isn’t just the right wing critics that article is targeting, it’s probably also targeting the emoprogs who whined consistently about him “caving.” Obama has repeatedly demonstrated his brilliance and intelligence and yet these lefty/righty critics STILL don’t see it.

• January 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Hi nintendowii10, I think you’re spot on, Sullivan was definitely partly targeting that mob in the article. Did you see how fake ‘progressive’ Cenk Uygur responded on Twitter? “Andrew Sullivan is the most dangerous man in America because he enables Obama’s weakness and dresses it up as strategy.”

Seriously, I didn’t make that up: “Andrew Sullivan is the most dangerous man in America.”

• 121 nintendowii10
          January 18, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Uygar continues to demonstrate how incredibly thin skinned he and these supposed “professional left” are. He, Huffy, Greenwald, etc want the freedom to parrot their lies as fact without being called out.

Andrew Sullivan the most dangerous man in America? How about Willard Romney who wants to turn the US into Bain Capital? Oh that’s right, Uygar is a 1%, he wouldn’t hurt under a Willard Presidency, although many Americans would. I’m glad Reverend Al got Uygar’s slot on MSNBC and Uygar has been pushed into irrelevancy on Current TV with Olberloon. Good riddance!

• January 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm

He really is a joke, nintendowii10. His desperate attention-seeking efforts on Twitter are pitiful, you almost end up feeling sorry for him they’re so embarrassing. I know there’s a huge number of genuine people who were Republicans and then saw the light (!), but this guy has always struck me as a fraud. He’s only 41, but was a Reagan diehard, a Bob Dole supporter, a supporter of the Federalist Society, was a big time critic of ‘excessive’ regulations on Wall St, etc, etc ….. and now he’s a hardcore leftie? Hmmmm…..

January 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Fabulous! As always.

24. 124 defytheodds
    January 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Auto Plants at Capacity Buoying All Parts of U.S. Economy: Cars

Bobbi Marsh puts her 11-year-old son to bed each night and then heads to her job at General Motors Co. (GM)’s metal-stamping plant in Lordstown, Ohio. She gets home in time to make him breakfast.

Marsh, 34, is one of thousands of auto workers in the U.S. benefiting from the return of a third shift at factories — often from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. — translating to 24-hour-a-day production at many plants for the first time since the industry collapse in 2009. At the nadir, some plants ran only one eight- hour shift.

The new third shifts, adding more than 4,300 jobs in four states at GM alone, bring jobs to the economy and revenue to governments as well as demand at odd hours for everything from daycare and dentistry to financial services and food. U.S. auto plants this year may operate at about 81 percent of capacity after falling as low as 49 percent in 2009, according to estimates from IHS Automotive in Northville, Michigan.

“It’s been great: I can spend all evening with my son,” said Marsh, 34, a three-year GM employee who lives near the plant about 60 miles southeast of Cleveland…

25. 128 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm

AND THE WINNER ALREADY IS………….P…………B……………..O! OF COURSE…..WE WILL……DO IT!………………AGAIN!

26. January 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Chipsticks,
    I don’t know how you have time to read all this! I have to go back and read today’s posts – thanks so much – the photos look great! BTW, you might want to resurrect this article sometime during the campaign. Romney was a con artist elitist Daddy’s boy from day one. Here he is all preppy protesting in favor of the draft he avoided. Makes me sick.

• January 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Excellent forus, we’re going to have a very large file on Mr Bain if/when he wins the nomination. ;-)

• 131 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      January 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

oh oh! This has me hopping mad! I will be tweeting and tweeting this one. What a spoiled rotten sickening hypocrite. I guess war is a great thing so long as it’s fought by other people’s children.

• January 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Yes, Walking —-there should not be ONE Vietnam War vet voting for Romney. Not one. It would be interesting (and I’m sure disappointing as well) to see that most of his support will be whites from that era.

27. 133 FiredUpInCA
    January 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

“House votes against debt ceiling increase‎”

It’s a symbolic vote and doesn’t really mean anything since the Senate will vote to raise the ceiling.

Here are the six Democrats that voted with Boehner’s Republicans:

The six Democratic …. votes on Wednesday came from members of the conservative Blue Dog Coalition: Reps. Jason Altmire (Pa.), John Barrow (Ga.), Dan Boren (Okla.), Larry Kissell (N.C.), Jim Matheson (Utah) and Mike McIntyre (N.C.).

Republican and Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier (Calif.), was the only Republican to vote with the Democrats.

The two “present” votes were Reps. Jeff Landry (La.) and Joe Walsh (Ill.), both members of the GOP’s freshman class.

28. January 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm

beckham is a has-been who never was that great in his heydays.

/ducks and runs.

• January 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Tally? Will I beat up amk or will you?

• 139 halo
      January 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm

AMK IS RIGHT!

January 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Uh oh. *running*

• January 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm

** I tiptoed quietly away the first time I saw that too. Just imagining Tally’s (or even the new LL’s) response added celerity to my movements!** ;) Jacque, I do think amk is missing home and therefore looking for some excitement. ;)

• January 18, 2012 at 10:18 pm

How did you know ?

“I do think amk is missing home”

My 24th wedding anniversary is coming up with next week and I am stuck in Kenya looking for that muslin’s birth certificate.

If I am not having fun, I’m not letting let others have one. :) :) :)

• January 18, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I’m actually fairly agnostic about Becks. His major contribution to MLS is the higher profile he brings it. For that US soccer should be eternally grateful. And he brought a work rate and professionalism to Galaxy that it was sorely lacking. The more high profile foreign players that MLS attracts, the better it will be for American players, as it will expose them to athletes who’ve played at the highest levels in Europe. And, my first loyalty is to Chelsea, so a little digging at Becks won’t get much of a rise out of me. ;)

• 144 JoJothecat
        January 18, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Everyone take cover!

29. 149 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    January 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm

#PRESSON

30. 154 vero804
    January 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Haha Rachel is showing how certain members of Congress could be guilty of violating SOPA or PIPA with images they use on their websites and twitter pages.

31. January 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I’m reading that Stephen Colbert with attend a rally with Herman Cain? Is this true? WHY? Hope that’s an unfounded rumor because I’m just sick of this nonsense, I’m sick of Herman Cain and I’m not feeling like it’s all that funny.

January 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I didn’t hear that, but Stephen thinks his attempts to make fools out of these folks while standing right in front of them, while they guffaw, is funny. But if this is true about a rally, he’s way overdoing it. Let Cain leave the room, so the rest of us don’t have to spend any more time with him, please, Stephen. Find some other tactic.

• January 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Meta, I soooo agree with you. I never thought this was funny. Times are to serious to for making a mockery out of the presidency. The GOP candidates are doing that just fine. I stopped watching the Daily show because I don’t find him funny anymore. I consider my self having a good sense of humor, but I draw the line at certain point.

• 159 LOL
        January 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Yeah…I’m done with Jon. He is the professional left…so no daily show for me. Interestingly enough, Stephen is much fairer to the prez. I think what Stephen is doing is making a mockery of the Super pac BS. That an actual un-named person/company can pump as much money as they want on behalf of a candidate and never have to reveal themselves is what will damage the presidency.

Let’s face it…a good swath of Americans are influenced by commercials and not debates. A bumper sticker is easier to read than an essay (at least to some folks).

• January 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Lol, Stephen is a Democrat and has said so many times. Jon Stewart is not. He may call himself an Independent, but probably leans Libertarian. Stephen has proven himself to be a comedic genius. He is working in a whole other league from the more pedestrian Stewart.

• 161 dotster3
            January 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm

and, I might add, in a whole other league from other news people. I think he has more guts and more integrity than any of them. He’s not doing it for the laughs, although his comic genius is what attracts so he can get some truths exposed. Some people might not understand what he’s doing, but he is forcing MSM to pay attention, and they are, and are starting to engage in more truthful reporting.

• 162 LOL
      January 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

No it’s a joke. Stephen is pretending to be Herman Cain, because SC does not do write in votes and Herman is still on the ballot while Stephen is not- so he has a commercial saying he is herman cain and vote for me Herman Cain (Stephen Colbert).

• January 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I have to disagree. Last night he and Jon Stewart on Stewart’s show did a brilliant illustration of the ludicrous Citizens United ruling on super pacs. The GOP is a friggin joke anyway. He is using Herman Cain as Cain’s on the ballot in SC but not running and Colbert isn’t on the ballot. NO ONE — not even one Dem was doing anything about Citizens United until Colbert converted it to easy to understand language through comedy. Sunshine is the best disinfectant and for boring and complex subjects sometimes it takes comedy to bring that sunshine. Colbert is a HUGE Obama supporter and would not do anything to harm him in the general election.

32. January 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm

The beauty of this new campaign ad is that it shows the *real* reason why the Koch Bros. attack ads is that it isn’t about ethics…it’s about Solyndra being alternative energy…oil companies do not want solar or wind or any others form of non-fossil fuel to be available to Americans. They want to derail alternative energy development more than anything else.

33. January 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Know your adversary? Newt, the professor, by his own admission, wasn’t always deeply knowledgeable about his topic. The video, in a small spot to the left, gives an peek into his history.

34. January 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Sully has a video up of this young Latino college student who somehow got to the front of a Romney rope line and actually shook Romney’s hand and asked him point blank about how he’d vote on the “Dream Act”. Her description of the experience will surprise no one. There is a link to the full video of the student talking to Romney at Sully’s site.

Why The Latino Vote Matters

• 169 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      January 18, 2012 at 9:25 pm

#PRESSON

• January 18, 2012 at 10:33 pm

For all the money that must have been spent on Romney’s education, he has a remarkable inability to understand anyone and any language that isn’t white elite. He has no empathy and no ear for people’s voices other than those guys in his quiet rooms. He seems also to have no understanding of demographics and no comprehension of how this country is changing all around him. He is almost the perfect poster child for those clueless people PBO described at his inaugural who will find that the world has shifted under their feet.

35. 171 Lovepolitics2008
    January 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Chips for all the links !

The WashPost article by Greg Sargent is certainly food for thought. I too wonder if Romney is electable now. With all his gaffes, and with all the revelations that keep coming, he’s sinking, plain and simple.

What will the republican establishment do ? What will the republican base do ?

January 18, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Sad, but probably true.

37. January 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm

WASHINGTON, D.C.—Tomorrow, Deputy Secretary of the Interior David J. Hayes and National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis will announce a generous donation that will partially fund the restoration of the Washington Monument from the damage caused by the August 23, 2011 earthquake. Hayes and Jarvis will be joined by the philanthropist, President of the Trust for the National Mall Caroline Cunningham, National Park Foundation President Neil Mulholland, and Superintendent of the National Mall and Memorials Parks Bob Vogel who will also discuss future restoration plans for the Monument.

38. January 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm

So it looks like ABC will air the interview of Newt’s ex-wife Thursday night AFTER the debate and before the Saturday primary. So expect Newt to either really try to hammer Romney so much in the debate, that whatever’s been said in the interview doesn’t become the “biggest” story before the primary Saturday.

I expect Santorum to be the most combative to Newt since Newt is his biggest competition for the “not-mittens” vote.

Whatever was said, it was enough that Newt’s daughter actually “released a statement” (i.e. campaign released a press release) to pre-empt the interview I guess.

Hmmm. I wonder how much Romney or the Establishment influenced the ex coming forward (ala Cain’s women) . At the very least, they did enough to get Drudge to post a siren call on his website and as we know, “Drudge rules the world” of many of the MSM (vis a vis Dick Halperin!)

January 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm

The AZ wingnuts are out in force :) Just need to know that President Obama is coming to AZ and they all have some shit to sling! Luckily for them, I read 8 hours/day and have FACTS on my side:) This is why it’s SO important to engage on local blogs and push back against the crazy lies. AMAZING what they “think”. AMAZING what they excuse from Republicans:) I love a heated debate! They got nothin’!

• January 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Good for you desertflower. I don’t have the stomach for that even if with ethics and facts on our side – it’s too upsetting to see the stupid. I need to work on that. And I can only imagine what they have – probably still peddling their teleprompters and birth certificates bs!

January 18, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Oh! You don’t want to know what they dream up! I love the argument. I love to win :) I know that people other than the crazies read these comments, so my answers are really geared to them, not the idiot I’m trying to talk to….sometimes that’s such a lost cause…but I know that others will appreciate the links to more info and factual statements. I swear, sometimes I think they all sit around in their underwear, watching reruns of Father Knows Best or some other ???? I laugh, and feel sad, too… that they are ignorant enough to vote against their own best interests and that of their family…..it’s a CHOICE they make….I just don’t want them choosing THAT for ME! I choose HOPE and a better world for all of us. That’s why I do it..

40. 184 LOL
    January 18, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Not that I’m even a bit teensy weensy concerned about Gingrich…but I think what ABC is doing is really dirty. Newt, in all his (perceived) glory, is enough to not vote for, but why bring an ex in the picture. Surprise…some divorces don’t end well. Surprise..Newt is a bombastic a*hole who has an affinity for younger, blonder women. Fine, air the interview…but don’t do it right before a primary that will determine the nominee.

That’s why everyone rags on ABC. I watched both the ABC and FOX debate…and darn it if FOX didn’t ask more probing and reality based questions. I mean, honestly, banning birth control? Hell, Mississippi couldn’t even get that through. This reminds me of the Rev Wright sideshow of 08. ABC played that clip so many times…it started to skip.

Whatever happened to journalism without an agenda? Enough with this Win the Day BS. Report the story and let the chips fall where they may…

• January 18, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I agree with you.

It very suspicious the circumstances of the ex giving the interview. It’s way too convenient that it happened now.

• January 18, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Agree. I haven’t watched all the debates but the portions I have seen the FOX political team asks tougher and better questions in general. Of course they never discuss JOBS or the ENVIRONMENT but most of what they ask are things people should consider of the candidates before they vote.

41. January 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Those MORE pics of Michelle are absolute ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

42. 188 martha cargill
    January 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I tell you President Obama is one smart cookie, he knew he was going to say no to keystone, so hence the AD,

43. January 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Tomorrow:

9:15: PBO departs the White House en route to Joint Base Andrews

11:40: Arrives in Orlando

12:35: Delivers remarks

2:15: Departs Orlando

4:30: Arrives in New York City

5:30: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

6:30: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

7:50: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

9:25: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

11:05: Departs New York City en route to Joint Base Andrews

44. January 18, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I was just taking a trip down memory lane and looking at past photos from Pete Souza’s Flikr site and you can sometimes forget how much President Obama has accomplished, and the numerous events he has conducted to reach out to the American people.

I especially enjoyed seeing him receive the Nobel Peace Prize, the photos from when he signed the Matthew Shepard & James Byrd Jr Hate Crime bill, the signing of the ACA, Financial Regulation, meeting the deceased soldiers at Dover AFB, connecting with children, giving speeches at various Small Businesses, supporting our Troops, etc.. I could go on and on

He has been an amazing and transformative President, and anyone who doesn’t see it, has their head stuck up their ass, and no amount of truth telling will help them, because their minds are closed off.

For the sake of our country, we need to work our butts off to re-elect President Obama !! Of course our work will be made easier when President Obama has his real foray into campaigning and debating the GOP loser, as he will make mincemeat of Willard or Newt in any face to face event!

45. 196 LDS
    January 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm

If I may…..6:30 LDS arrives at the infamous Apollo Theatre.
    12:00 : Arrives home and pass out on the kitchen floor. Due to heavenly bliss. Will try to post to my TOD Family after paramedics revive her.
    I will not sleep tonight.

46. January 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm

gopolitico concern trolling over hollywood ditching Obama over sopa and pipa.

January 18, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Ah..yes..we can always depend on good ole GOPOLITICO to come thru with their obsessive Obama-dissing drivel.

By the way amk,your avatar reminds me of how Bo has grown so much in the last 2.5 years!! I would like to see Bo get another four years as First Dog.

January 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Andrew Sullivan’s on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360 NOW!

• 203 Ladyhawke
      January 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm

thanks for the heads up. I just caught the end of the interview, but Andrew was making sense as usual. The Republicans just can’t handle the truth. They got nothin to offer the American people so they do what they do best LIE AND MAKE STUFF UP. It’s always the other guys fault. They never take responsibility for anything they have done to damage this country but they are quick to take credit for the good others have done. For example…..

Eventhough 9/11 happened during President George W. Bush’s administration, the Republicans say we should blame President Clinton. Eventhough it was President Obama who focused like a laser on capturing OBL and accomplished the task, the Republicans say President George W. Bush should get the credit. That’s how they roll.

January 18, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Yes, if you can see the entire interview, it was amazing. Andrew’s voice was cracking, he was so emotional. He is really disgusted about the lies, as we all are. They had on Pat Buchanan’s sister Bay (sp?) Buchanan and he had her looking confused as she was spouting old talking points!

• 205 Eleroy
          January 19, 2012 at 1:35 am

So Bay Buchanan is back!!! There’s always going to be a racist sibling alternative to be found for any of the Buchanans!!! Pat’s been put out to pasture and Bay gets brought back.

It was somebody here who once wrote that they were certain neither of the Buchanan kids were breastfed!!! There’s just so much hate and evil oozing from their every pore. Must have been a miserable, dysfunctional childhood!!!

January 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm

If you get a chance to see the clip, please tweet your thanks to Andrew Sullivan @sullydish for telling the truth about President Obama tonight on AC360 – much as he did in his Newsweek article!

48. January 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Someone took a picture of a sign in a parking lot that read:

“You took 2 Parking places….You must be a Republican or a Special Person”

49. 208 EDP4BHO
    January 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Going to bed, but not before I ask…….have we ever had a First Lady as vibrant, smart, modern, and charming as Michelle Obama? Really? She has become to us exactly what President Obama has been privy to…..she’s a rock ! Have a peaceful evening, TOD :-)

50. 210 LDS
    January 18, 2012 at 10:42 pm

HaHaHa………you are too kind. Thank you, Chips. It was a last minute invite and I am forever grateful. My sister who has passed loved herself some Al Green. I am an India Arie fan.

I received an email from Moveon today requesting to join them in protesting POB appearance there on some nonsense making him maker Wall Street pay. I replied, did you where were yu when Bush was in officce. And Clinton’s office is two blocks down. I was so angry. I clicked on the space to take my name off of your mailing list, NOW!

So you know I dare anyone of them to get in my way. I am trying to refrain myself from leaving early just to spek my mind. But I promised my sons that I would behave…….I think.

51. 212 LDS
    January 18, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Sorry for the mistakes.I am so excited I cannot see or type straight. Going to bed and pray for rest if sleep does not come.

RSS Steve Benen