Jan

‘night everyone

ABC: …“I don’t pay hardly any payroll taxes,” Buffett said. “Gov. Romney hardly pays any payroll taxes, Newt Gingrich hardly pays any payroll taxes. Debbie pays lots of payroll taxes.”

He lashed out at assertions from many Republican leaders that the “Buffett rule” is class warfare.

“If this is a war, my side has the nuclear bomb,” Buffett said. “We have K Street. … We have Wall Street. Debbie doesn’t have anybody. I want a government that is responsive to the people who got the short straw in life.”

Full post here

Thursday:

11:00: VP Biden delivers remarks in Rochester, N.H.

1:00: PBO delivers remarks at UPS Las Vegas South.

3:05: PBO departs Las Vegas en route to Buckley Air Force Base, Colo.

4:35: PBO arrives at Buckley Air Force Base, Colo.

5:30: PBO delivers remarks.

President Obama is greeted by Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman upon his arrival at Las Vegas Airport, Nevada, January 25

The Week

You can never see this enough ;-) (From the Digitocalypse YouTube channel)

‘Night everyone, see you tomorow ;-)

226 Responses to “‘night everyone”

• 2 DreamChaser57
      January 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Yes You Can!

• 5 Pamela
        January 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Ooooohhh! Aaaaaahhhhh! So so pretty FLOTUS! Nice image to end the day!

• 7 utaustinliberal
        January 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm

This Ralph Lauren outfit she wore in England when she and PBO threw a dinner for the Queen and Prince Phillip ranks very very very very high on my list of formal wear she’s worn. The beauty of the gown and the beauty of the woman wearing it was breathtaking. It was wonderful to see foreign news and fashion designers all over the world gasp in amazement at every outfit she wore on that memorable trip to Ireland and England.

The trip to England and Ireland (most especially; love love love) was made even better by having the privilege of flying first class Chips and TOD style.

• January 26, 2012 at 12:27 am

I received a phone call tonight from the Obama campaign and I just couldn’t stop talking to the gentleman about TOD. I told him that we are with President Obama every day and know exactly where he is going and what he is doing. I mentioned our trip to Ireland and praised The Obama Diary and Chips and told him how many hits the site had and that we are international and some can’t donate. I went on and on and asked him to check us out. I told him I’m an Obamabot and he laughed. I don’t know what he expected when he called this phone number in the red state of Kansas but he got an earful of Obama , Michell, Chips and the TOD gang. :lol: :lol:

• January 26, 2012 at 12:43 am

Fantastic!!!! :D Your enthusiasm and full-throated support for President Obama probably made his night.

• 10 a4alice
            January 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

that totally made me laugh – I know what you mean about telling people about this site – and then sometimes I wonder if they think i’m nuts or not cuz I gush about it – but i think it’s important for people especially those who want to know what’s going on with PBO! :D

• 11 yardarm756
        January 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Fox in da grapes!

• 13 meabloom
        January 26, 2012 at 10:01 am

Oow! Fantastic first prize photo!

1. 14 JoJothecat
    January 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Congrats 2nd!

2. 16 susanne
    January 25, 2012 at 11:23 pm

more from davos world economic summit–sound familiar? amazing that the repugs are still pretending the issue of income inequality is something pbo dreamed up to get re=elected/

January 25, 2012 at 11:23 pm
    • 19 Tally
      January 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Let’s hope everyone knows THEY CAN’T STAY HOME.

It’s NOT in the bag without ALL OF US. EVERY LAST ONE.

January 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I couldn’t agree more, Tally, and the President knows that, too. We HAVE to give him a landslide, dragging EVERYBODY we know with us to the polls.

• 21 isonprize
        January 26, 2012 at 12:22 am

Tally!!! TALLY!! TALLY!!! THIS… While I do like the graphic, everytime, and I mean EVERYTIME!!!, I hear someone say this or something similar, I push back with “But the only way that will happen is if we all VOTE!! Have you found out where your Obama neighborhood team is? Have you helped with a voter registration drive?”

If they look at me like I’m crazy, then I say “Yup, you ‘ve got to help us MAKE SURE that Pres. Obama get’s relected. Remember he said “Yes WEEEEE Can” And YOU are part of that WE.

• 22 nathkatun7
        January 26, 2012 at 12:40 am

Well said, Tally! We must never, and I men never, delude ourselves that this will be easy victory. The powerful money forces aligned against the President will never rest until he is defeated. Let’s not underestimate them by thinking that the President’s re-election is in the bag. As you said, Tally, we must work our tails off to make sure that this great man is re-elected president. I actually think that the work required to re-elect President Obama is going to be much harder than it was when we first elected him in 2008. I say that because in 2008 we did not have to contend with unlimited campaign money unleashed by the Supreme Court’s decision in “Citizens United.”

• 23 nathkatun7
          January 26, 2012 at 12:53 am

Make that ” I mean never” and not ” I men never” delude ourselves that this will be easy victory.’

• 24 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        January 26, 2012 at 4:08 am

ABSOLUTELY TALLY…EVERYONE HAS TO GET OUT THERE AND WORK FOR PBO…WE CAN’T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED!…:)

• 25 nospin
      January 26, 2012 at 8:33 am

lolololol I love it.

Yes it is Mr. President. Yes it is.

4. 26 GGail
    January 25, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Good nite Chipsticks, good nite TOD family and a very pleasant good nite to FLOTUS

5. January 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Does anyone know how the Gov. Brewster episode is playing out in the national media? Her finger in my Presidents’ face made me sick. Reminds me of the wicked witch of the west pointing her finger, and we all know what happened to her! Melt now Gov, Brewster.

6. 38 Pamela
    January 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm

That pic with LV Mayor is more like it, let the GOP governors stay the heck at home after today! G’night, Chips, you get some rest, k?

7. 39 Cathy from MN
    January 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Meta — Trying to answer the question on excise tax for high end policies in ACA – didn’t get a chance to do full review, but did find that it was pushed to 2018 for implementation in the reconciliation act. (Originally planned for 2013 implementation) So should not be an impact next year. Will write back after I do more …
    Anyone else?

8. 40 Pamela
    January 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm

With all the SOTU excitement last night, I did not get to mention that my BIG BOX of OFA goodies was waiting on my back porch when I arrived home… Loaded with all the fine MADE IN THE USA gear I had ordered: the 100 Stickers roll is a great way to please people, very cost effective. The pink and grey tote is just fabulous, so pretty FLOTUS could wear it! The 2 pint glasses, well, iced tea weather might come in the summer, and another free 2012 calendar, so I can send some to CanuckJoyce and friends! A really satisfying way to support the re-election of PBO & VPB! Fun to open during the speech!

9. January 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Gonna try and get in to see the POTUS in the morning. I hear security is pretty tight where they’re holding the event. I just want to take some pictures people!!!! He’s MY president, lemme see him!!!! Ok, I’m done. hee hee! ;)

10. January 25, 2012 at 11:42 pm

What a great way to end a wonderful day. I haven’t been able to see any of the President today and I won’t be able to see his speeches tomorrow until tomorrow night so I will depend on all the comments here. I feel so good about the President!

11. January 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

In the words of Ice Cube, “It was a good day.”

Chips, your coverage was spectacular as usual. What a gift you are!

Have a great night, TOD Family.

12. 49 Pamela
    January 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I am done in, good night to all… Do rest well, and may God bless the work you are all doing for our beloved President!

January 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Night all. I feel SO discombobulated today….Brewer needs a phone call 602-542-4331. A respectful, yet pointed WTF will do. Or as I said before, maybe a “thank you” for showing SO CLEARLY, who the person with real REAL CLASS and professionalism was. We wouldn’t never have been able to mistake that one. Embarrassment to AZ. Just like she’s always been. If PBO walked away….good. I would have cold cocked her.

14. 51 SueBee
    January 25, 2012 at 11:50 pm

TOD is the last website I look at before I go to bed..all positive…Thanks Chips!

January 25, 2012 at 11:52 pm

By the way, I LOVE the “Bring. It. On.” pic….and the hands being held in Chandler today :) Thank you, Mr President…..thank you, Chips, thank you TOD family. Good day today. tomorrow will be another good day:)

16. January 26, 2012 at 12:02 am

OMG, this is a very weird and scary incident involving Prime Minister Julia Gillard:

PM dragged away after being trapped by protesters

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/national/pm—dragged-away-after-being-trapped-by–protesters-20120126-1qj1c.html#ixzz1kXO26r2w
    The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, and Opposition Leader, Tony Abbott, had to be extracted from a restaurant near Parliament House as angry protesters banged on the glass.

• January 26, 2012 at 1:57 am

That’s horrible. In all seriousness, maybe they should do some drills so they know how fast to run so she doesn’t trip trying to keep up. I’m glad she’s ok.

• January 26, 2012 at 5:35 am

It’s terrible that she got caught up in that, seeing as it was over the opposition leaders comments on native aborigines. I hope she is ok, I really like her. She’s a great P.M *virtual hug to P.M Gillard* :)

January 26, 2012 at 12:03 am

If anyone has been keeping up with the Tucson Mexican American studies program…I hope that you will consider signing this petition. Knowing your heritage and culture is important. Book banning going on, children denied this class…they want to rewrite history. Please consider

Also, you can use the search feature on this site to find out more about the issue.

18. January 26, 2012 at 12:04 am

I have not seen any one mention this so I apologize if I missed it. Gov Brewer was putting “the boy” in his place! This was raw racism on display. She has not and never will respect him. She wants the world to see that she can put “the boy” in his place. I hope this will not be downgraded to disrespect, bad manners, etc. etc. She is a racist and she was doing what white people have always maintained the right to do to any Black man…even the President of the United States…as long as he is Black!

January 26, 2012 at 12:08 am

That’s exactly what I said in my post. I live in AZ…I know EXACTLY how she operates! You were 100% right on your read of what she did. She WAS TRYING to put the”boy” in his place…..I hope she fucking chokes on her breakfast scorpion.

January 26, 2012 at 12:50 am

smilingl8dy – Not all white people. Not by a long shot. I know you know that and it doesn’t change your anger (or mine), but thought I’d reinforce it.

• 62 nospin
      January 26, 2012 at 8:40 am

well she didn’t expect the President to give as good or better than he got. And then, he walked away before she was finished. lololol

That had to be embarrassing. No woman likes to have someone turn their back on them when they are in the midst of a conversation. She knew she was thoroughly dismissed. She will be thinking about that moment for the remainder of her life.

lololololol

19. January 26, 2012 at 12:12 am

Thanks Deserflower
    I have sat here all evening and the only person who came close was Ed. E J Dionne missed it or more likely could not/would not speak on it. I am steaming because I can see it being trivilized. Unfortunately, the SS cannot spare him this kind of racist attack.

January 26, 2012 at 12:17 am

Oh, I just expect her to act like a moron every chance she gets. It’s what she does. I think that if we pay her lots of attention, she’ll feel important and validated. SO we should PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MORON DRESSED UP LIKE A GOVERNOR. Like I said before, I’m certain her new BFF Sarah Failin, told her to grab headlines however she could….funny. She probably thought that she’d “embarrass the black guy” and show him who’s boss….well, SHE’S the one that came out of this stunt looking like a fool. Not him.

• January 26, 2012 at 2:00 am

Thank you – I was livid with E. J. Dionne – who was also disrespectful of the President, and proud of Ed for stating the case plainly – surprisingly. What Jan Brewer did is un-American. And it’s just low class.

January 26, 2012 at 12:12 am

Seriously…could we just please put them ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL in a bunker somewhere where they can spout the crazy all day long to EACH OTHER and not bother the rest of us, or take up any more of MY valuable time!

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum on Wednesday suggested that President Barack Obama wanted to every kid to go to college so they could be brainwashed into being a liberal.

Speaking to a crowd of Floridians at the First Baptist Church of Naples, Santorum said that churches and families were under “assault” by the president and liberals.

He looks too young to be so F’d up already. Crazy knows no age, I guess.

January 26, 2012 at 4:14 am

desertflower, is these Republicans that dam sick, stupid, or racists? maybe all three. Santorum, Paul, Newt, Romney. Maybe Huntsman should have remain in the contest, cause he seem to be the only one with any dam sense.

• January 26, 2012 at 7:40 am

Everytime Santorum opens his mouth, he buries himself deeper. All his racist BS won’t get him anywhere. Sooner or later, he will have to drop out and decent people will breathe a sigh of relief that at least one pollutant won’t be there any longer to stink up the air. Jan Brewer stinks up the air in AZ just as the R governors in states across America are making their environments vile. People will get sick of them and from them and they will eventually go. Meantime, all of our energy has to be directed to re-electing the president. If you have not signed a nominating petition to put the president on the ballot in your state, find one, sign it and help circulate it. Don’t leave anything to chance. If there are decent people running for congressional and senatorial offices sign those petitions as well. Circulating petitions and registering voters have got to be our top priorities right now.

• 70 nospin
      January 26, 2012 at 8:44 am

“Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum on Wednesday suggested that President Barack Obama wanted to every kid to go to college so they could be brainwashed into being a liberal”.

Now that is just silly.

“Speaking to a crowd of Floridians at the First Baptist Church of Naples, Santorum said that churches and families were under “assault” by the president and liberals”

And that statement reeks of desperation and needing to do a hat trick in order to stay relevant.

Not a good look for Santorum or the GOP.

21. January 26, 2012 at 12:13 am

Not sure if this has anything to do with race. I went to several Tea Party protests during the Health Care Debates (I was trying to “talk” to them to see why they were so angry). Every event I went to I had a finger pointed at my face, it was frightening to me..like all that rage being “shot” into my being…I ended up walking away too, for you can’t talk with people when they are so full of hate. She (Brewer) is full of hate. PS I’m pigment challenged.

January 26, 2012 at 12:31 am

I think it has PLENTY to do with race! She wouldn’t BE the gov. were it not for that fact that Russell Pearce and his KKK posse told all the crazies in AZ that the Mexicans were overrunning the place and would take all their jobs and rob them in the middle of the night and rape their kids. Seriously. It was ridiculous! Kris Kobach, is now Romney’s “go to guy” on all things immigration….and HE is the one that handed the toxic SB 1070 immigration legislation to Pearce….they scared people, and brought out their fears of “others”.So many Mexican families left the state. LEGAL and undocumented.Sad, sad sad.

This is the very same place that showed pictures of the guy with the AK47 strapped to his back during PBO’s speech here. The fear, the hate, the division was palpable. It was ugly….and in many respects, it still is.

January 26, 2012 at 12:39 am

That reminded me of my own mini Tea Party encounter. A couple of summers ago, a friend asked if I’d be interested in driving a neighbor and friend of hers to and from a nearby city for cancer treatments, five days a week for several weeks. Each ride was about an hour round trip. I had met her friend and agreed to do it.

My friend said she had “warned” the woman that I was a real “Obama supporter,” warning me, as well, that this 70-year-old woman – who seemed grandmotherly – was not. Several days into my giving her the rides, the woman started ramping up her story about attending Tea Party rallies, how Obama was ruining the country, even though she wasn’t prejudiced because she had had “black friends” in her life (you know the drill). Since the woman was very sick at the time from her treatments, all I could basically do was speak softly in the car, giving short personal opinions, and trying to change the subject.

After a couple weeks of it, my back started to bother me tremendously after the driving. I think because I was SO TENSE from her ramblings, I was having a physical reaction. Even though I would never do this ordinarily, I finally told her I could not continue to give her a ride, “because of my back,” and made sure I never saw her again. (This wasn’t as heartless as it may appear, since her daughter was available to take her, as well as her son-in-law – she just didn’t want to bother them.)

I still cringe thinking that this woman kept talking about seeing herself in heaven, since she was convinced she was going there. I moved to another state last year, but my friend told me recently that the woman is apparently doing well – a good thing, since I wouldn’t wish cancer on anyone. I did say prayers for her at first, mostly that she would “see the light” and own up to her bigotry. And then I moved on.

• January 26, 2012 at 1:02 am

I know exactly what you are saying. my dad told me to just let my actions speak for themselves, people sense goodness and feel the “hate” in otherways. Hate coming at you is a dark cold feeling, it is best to walk away from it. I hope this lady thanked you after all you did for her.

January 26, 2012 at 4:20 am

cara4obama, I’m sure all it has to do with race. I believe the Tea Party is like the KKK, or any of those other racists groups out there. I really do believe this.

22. January 26, 2012 at 12:16 am

A zinger by the President.

23. 78 yardarm756
    January 26, 2012 at 12:16 am

Well TODers we’ve come to the end of another day, as we say on the sea “Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning; red sky at night is a sailors delight.” Hope all your horizons were fire. Hold on to the following thought: The GOP has no interest in people, or investing in in America’s future. It’s only interested in MONEY, and is not only trashing it’s own house, it’s hell-bent on burning down the entire neighborhood, and surrounding villages, all because of their blinding, personal greed and poisonous hatred for one man.
    Lights out. Secure the smoking lamp. Taps……..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

January 26, 2012 at 12:18 am

If you haven’t seen it, here’s an article about the reaction of the father of the female hostage who was rescued by the Navy SEAL team:

25. January 26, 2012 at 12:20 am

I’m out too. Early day tomorrow. Tomorrow is anothr wonderful day for PBO!

26. January 26, 2012 at 12:31 am

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama’s campaign is preparing to attack Republican Mitt Romney’s business record with video of former workers from a Kansas City steel mill that went bankrupt while owned by Bain Capital, the company Romney co-founded.

The move is the latest sign that Obama’s campaign is firmly focused on the former Massachusetts governor despite Romney’s decisive loss to Newt Gingrich Saturday in the Republican presidential primary in South Carolina.

In defeating Romney, former House Speaker Gingrich captured the momentum in the state-by-state race to determine who will face Obama, a Democrat, in the November 6 elections.

The Campaign is Beginning. Get your game faces on.

• 84 jeff
      January 26, 2012 at 3:45 am

part of it is because we want to go against Gingrich over Romney although either can be beaten no matter what the unBIASED media says.

27. January 26, 2012 at 12:33 am

whoa OK. Got through all the posts. I missed all the excitement about Jan Brewer being her naturally dinkish self. I retweeted a couple of Pinkbunny’s tweets at her. Breathe Pinkbunny and DF. She is surely a nutbucket. And I missed the troll! oh well….

Speaking of nutbuckets, Bachman is going to run for a fourth term in MN……..

On a better note, had a great night at OFA things are going well there and we are calling and people are coming in to volunteer! Want to make MN a good solid blue again! w00t!

Well that’s all for now guess I better sign off before I do a faceplant into my keyb-

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(nitey nite TOD)

28. 86 LadyTNT
    January 26, 2012 at 12:34 am

That heffa-ho gov. brewer putting her finger in PBO’s face really made me mad. And I’m sorry, but she did it just because he’s black. Well today I got an email titled “Just because he’s black” and I think some of my fellow TOD family would appreciate it.

PS: I know there was a troll earlier who posted a crazy “email” and I was like WTF, but couldn’t comment because I was at work, but read the entire thing and I promise I am not a troll. I’m true blue, Obot until I DIE!!

Just Because He’s Black

A white man asked his black friend, ‘Are you voting for Barack Obama
    just because he’s black?’

The black man responded by saying,
    ‘Why not? Hell, in this country men
    Are pulled over everyday just cause
    They’re black; passed over for
    Promotions just cause they’re black;
    Considered to be criminals just
    Cause they’re black; and thousands of you
    Won’t be voting for him just because he’s
    Black! However, you do not
    Seem to have a problem with that! This country
    Was built with the sweat
    And whip off the black slaves’ back, and now a
    Descendent of those same
    Slaves has a chance to lead the same country,
    Where we weren’t even
    Considered to be people, where we weren’t allowed
    To be educated, drink
    From the same water fountains, eat in the same
    Restaurants, or even
    Vote. So yes! I’m going to vote for him! But it’s
    Not just because he’s
    Black, but because he is hope, he is change, and he
    Now allows me to
    Understand when my grandson says that he wants to be
    President when he
    Grows up, it is not a fairy tale but a short term goal.
    He now sees,
    Understands and knows that he can achieve, withstand and do
    ANYTHING just because he’s black.

January 26, 2012 at 12:46 am

I’m glad you shared that. President Obama has given so much to so many. I know he knows that, but even he cannot imagine the depth of his positive influence on the hopes and dreams of all future generations!

• 88 LadyTNT
        January 26, 2012 at 12:55 am

Yes, he really is an inspiration to ALL people as long as they are not letting hate blind them.

January 26, 2012 at 1:01 am

Yes, and that’s important to my family, too. My eight-year-old granddaughter, who’s white, has a bi-racial little half sister, both of whom would be deeply hurt by learning about all the hatred that’s out there. Luckily, they’re still young and don’t have a deep understanding of it, yet. But I still worry a lot.

January 26, 2012 at 4:24 am

LadyTNT, thank you for that. I just love it.

29. January 26, 2012 at 12:43 am

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said on Wednesday the central bank was ready to offer the economy additional stimulus after it announced it would likely keep interest rates near zero until at least late 2014.

The Fed also took the historic step of adopting an explicit inflation target, though Bernanke took pains to stress that officials would be flexible about reining in price growth when unemployment was too high.

The late 2014 timeframe for the first rate hike was considerably later than investors had expected and some 18 months later than the Fed had suggested last year, and the announcement prompted a rally in U.S. government bonds.

30. 92 FiredUpInCa
    January 26, 2012 at 12:48 am

Obama State of Union Seen by 37.7 Million Viewers, Nielsen Says

31. 102 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    January 26, 2012 at 12:50 am

Just to be clear:

Arizonans should recall that bigot in honor of Rep Giffords and the countless numbers of poor migrant workers she’s harmed or had killed.

#PRESSON

32. 103 lmrj
    January 26, 2012 at 1:53 am

Good evening TOD family. Still stoked about PBO’s SOTU address and apparently are a lot of other folks in my family circle.

A little background: Approaching the 2010 election I made a conscious decision to use my family Facebook account to post information about PBO so that the young adults in my family would be informed and would maybe become engaged in the electoral process. They surely had not been engaged up until that point. I get very few comments and sometimes get the feeling that they think I’m that batty old geezer in the family who needs to be ignored. I keep at it because I figure that enough drips in the water bucket will fill it up.

Well… I discovered that quite a few of them actually watched PBO’s SOTU last night and proceeded with post-SOTU discussions on Facebook and Twitter. This has NEVER happened in our family. Some of the discussions became arguments with friends who are not PBO supporters. Where misinformation and ignorance prevailed, I jumped in and posted factual information from TOD and WIW. *THANK YOU VERY MUCH CHIPS & LINDA!* That seemed to quiet down their disagreeable friends *nothing but crickets*.

Moving forward, this morning I saw that several of my harder to reach young family members were reposting the following:
    “MY PRESIDENT: (1) Got Osama Bin Laden…check (2) Unemployment rate 8.5%…check. (3) 1.6 million jobs created with no GOP help…check (4) 22 months of job and economic growth with no help…check … (5) Ended war in Iraq …check (6) DADT repeal…check (7) Not one tax hike in 3 years….check (8) Brought out of racism in the GOP…check (9) Still carry 80% of the black vote…check (10) Same wife for 15 years with no extra marital affairs…check (11) Saved auto industry and 1.5 million jobs.. check (12) Assisted in ousting Khaddafi…check (13) Only active President to receive Nobel Peace prize while in office…check (14) Mortgage modification to prevent home owners from losing their home…check (15) STILL fighting for middle class families…check (16) Brought us affordable healthcare….check. Despite what the GOP would have you believe the President has been doing these things and more by himself. Obama 2012 Re-post to support!!”

I find this post to be totally amazing and awesome! Maybe I had a small part in them wanting to post it. Sure hope so! :-) Our young folks may not be lost after all. Even the ones we don’t think are paying attention ARE PAYING ATTENTION! *drip… drip… drip…*

• 104 lmrj
      January 26, 2012 at 1:58 am

Sorry my comment was so long, but I was excited and wanted to share the whole story with TOD!

• 105 Betsy
        January 26, 2012 at 2:36 am

No worries, What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

• 106 lovingandlaughing
        January 26, 2012 at 9:26 am

great story! lmrj! i wish one of my fb friends would post that! i am so tired of my fb friends being non-active supporters of PBO. twitter is so much more exciting with all of the pro obama supporters around!

• January 26, 2012 at 2:09 am

This is fantastic – it makes a difference. Keep doing it! I always squeal a little when someone on my Facebook actually acknowledges a post, and especially when the ones who I know are either emoprogs or light Republicans. Keep at it. This is an important year and important election.

January 26, 2012 at 4:39 am

lmrj, thank you.

January 26, 2012 at 7:48 am

This is fabulous,lmrj!!!! That’s why we talk to others and get to to think:) Young people aren’t lost. The one’s I know, and I know a LOT….are quite “together”! I trust them to handle this country….better than some people I can think of that are older and supposed to be wiser. Good for you, and good for the kids!

• 110 isonprize
      January 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

lmrj!!!!! LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! Yes, we MUST engage our young folks!! Thanks so much for playing your part.

My only correctoin to the “Check list” is that there are three other Presidents who won the Nobel Prize Jimmy Carter, after his presidency in 2002, Woodrow Wilson, during his prexy, 1919, and Teddy Roosevelt, during his prexy 1906. President Obama is the only to do it in his first year as President.

drip, drip, drip!!

33. 112 PurpleShoesLA
    January 26, 2012 at 2:09 am

From the Twitterverse :lol: :lol:

34. 115 PurpleShoesLA
    January 26, 2012 at 2:15 am

And another…Zing! :lol: :lol:

35. 117 LDS
    January 26, 2012 at 3:14 am

lmrj-thank you for the drips. I am going to use that list of checks. Especially the one that says married for 15 years and no marital affairs.
    That one makes those so called religious moralists in SC appear very hypocritical, to say the least. They should be so embarrassed to carry the Bible, nevertheless, quoting the Scriptures.

I am so proud of our President and his family. I attended a SOTU party with over 60 people and I am still celebrating.
    There were people of all ages, sizes, shapes, color, gender. We had so much going on and the energy was high! The young people were like sponges soaking everything up and ready to go to work. A lot of information was shared and we all were very proud of the speech.

Do not stop what you are doing. Continue to plant positive seeds . After all, they are the future, our future. If they should live to be “old geezers”, just think of the memories and stories they will be able to share with future generations. It just makes me so grateful to be able to share this experience with them. This is what change and hope will do. We are going to need every one of them work harder than ever to get this President and a Congress that will work with him.

purpleshoesLA-that you for the laugh! .

36. 118 LDS
    January 26, 2012 at 3:56 am

I had not read the above post about the 12% decline concerning Nielsen ‘s ratings.
    As I mentioned, there were a lot of people watching one television. So how could that rating be accurate? Oh, and there was live radio broadcast and chat room setups.

They just don’t get it, that we are tired of their lies and basis opinions. Thanks to Ms. Chips and other positive blogs, we do not and will not accept what they want to say to boost their ratings . The facts and the truth is all that matters , anything else is not acceptable nor tolerated.

January 26, 2012 at 4:35 am

Alot of people didn’t want to hear all that B.S. from the pundits, so they didn’t watch it on tv. But if true 37 million is nothing to cry about. The fact is that the people who did listen agree with the President’s message.

• 120 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        January 26, 2012 at 5:57 am

ANYONE WHO DOESN’T AGREE WITH THE PRESIDENT HAS A REAL PROBLEM WITH THE ‘COMMON SENSE’ FACTOR! HE’S AMAZING…HE LOVES THIS COUNTRY AND EVERYONE IN IT!

• January 26, 2012 at 6:06 am

And a lot of people like me have TIVO’d it, which NIelsen won’t count. Then there’s YouTube and other channels. These days, a lot of people don’t sit in front of the tv anymore very often. And people will be watching it for days and weeks by these other channels too. I have yet to watch it (plan to when I have a couple of hours to spare).

I read somewhere that the “stunt” was on the advice of Sarah Palin. Why anybody listens to her advice baffles me. She was a poor governor, a failed VP, and all around bad. But I guess that is what comes from living in the GOP bubble.

37. 122 susanne
    January 26, 2012 at 4:18 am

goodnight tod ohana! happy dreams of a beautiful tomorrow.

38. January 26, 2012 at 6:39 am

Not sure if posted already, but did anyone see the stats from Twitter on #SOTU?

39. January 26, 2012 at 6:44 am

Tyrese Gibson on Obama’s:

40. January 26, 2012 at 6:56 am

Jan. 26 (Bloomberg) — President Barack Obama will propose an overhaul of the U.S. corporate tax system in February, his economic advisers said.
    The proposal will be released at about the same time as the administration’s fiscal 2013 budget plan, which is scheduled to be sent to Congress on Feb. 13. The administration isn’t releasing details of the comprehensive proposal, such as whether it will include a target for the top corporate tax rate.
    “The president is looking to push forward a discussion on a broader corporate tax reform,” Jason Furman, the deputy director of the National Economic Council, told reporters on a conference call yesterday. “We’re going to have more discussion of that broader framework around the time of the budget.”

41. January 26, 2012 at 7:11 am

New poll this morning- Quinnipiac pOll for Florida-
    Obama 45
    Robney. 45

And as we all know, quinnipiac leans right!

42. January 26, 2012 at 7:16 am

43. January 26, 2012 at 7:37 am

This is the article about Jan Brewer shaking her finger in the president’s face and talking to him about her book, then “quoting’ what he said to the media. I put ‘quoting’ in quotes because it doesn’t sound to me like something PBO would say; it sounds like she’s spinning whatever he said to garner media attention. Here is the phone number for her office: Direct number to Arizona Governer’s Office (602) 542-4331. I think we should call, email, tweet to her about her rude behavior.

January 26, 2012 at 8:23 am

Oh, don’t worry! I’m calling her office today and give them a good piece of my mind! I just called NBC because they have the cryptkeeper on talking about yesterday…I gave THEM a piece of my miind too!

44. January 26, 2012 at 7:50 am

After 3 days of hectic travel, catching up now. This ugly brewer thingy. Don’t we have better things to concentrate on ?

45. January 26, 2012 at 7:56 am

President Obama will travel to Nevada and Colorado on Thursday to sell the public on the energy proposals he outlined in this week’s State of the Union address.

The president’s energy plan is designed to simultaneously please his core group of liberal supporters and appeal to moderates who support expanded domestic oil and natural gas production. White House officials have signaled that Obama’s energy platform will be a key part of his reelection campaign.

It’s a difficult balance to strike. But the White House hopes Obama can effectively sell the plan Thursday, the second day of the president’s tour of five battleground states to tout his State of the Union policy proposals.

46. January 26, 2012 at 8:00 am

After a terrible time in SC, 3 days of attacks from Robney appears to have stopped newts momentum.
    Just 3 days worth?
    I bet newt goes after Robney, in tonites debate.

January 26, 2012 at 8:05 am

Plus CNN will allow audience clapping and yelling at tonight’s debate – making it a real clown show KKK circus.

January 26, 2012 at 8:07 am

And I will add that I think both Newt and Romney will not go after each other, but go after Obama with a vengeance especially after his SOTU performance with the voters. It might give them some satisfaction for the time being especially with their rabid base, but it won’t play out well with Independent or moderate voters.

January 26, 2012 at 8:06 am

Apple accused of ignoring labor abuses that can kill
    ‘We’ve known about labor abuses in some factories for four years, and they’re still going on,’ former Apple executive says, ‘Why? Because the system works for us’

I find it somehow fitting that Mitch Daniels specifically used Steve Jobs and Apple as his “shining example” the other night in the rebuttal to the President’s SOTU. The Republican party is imploding right before our very eyes.

48. 150 dotster3
    January 26, 2012 at 8:06 am

Anyone know when PBO/Diane Sawyer interview scheduled? Not till evening news? I checked this a.m. and they’re starting off their show with a rape case. NBC Today is featuring Jan Brewer, giving her a big platform. Why am I not surprised?

January 26, 2012 at 8:07 am

I’m writing NBC right now!

January 26, 2012 at 8:11 am

They will regret they EVER gave this ugly witch a platform. This is simply going to push AZ blue (for the first time in a LONG TIME, probably first time ever). And that arrogant Coward Fineman and his “sources” who claim that Obama can never win AZ will be eating some prime crow ribs come Nov 2012. The media gave Sarah Palin a platform much bigger than she deserved. The same Coward Fineman declared her a force to be reckoned with on the day of the NY23 special election where he was “certain” that her endorsed candidate would win. Where is she now?

• January 26, 2012 at 8:17 am

My concern is, the right knows how the msm reacts.
        Thus, they always play the media. I still say this has everything to do with the election. She was told to do this
        That is all!

January 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

I heard Fineman say that yesterday and I laughed…he’s such a tool. Call and Tweet NBC as well, hf, …I just called NBC and gave them a piece of my mind. The fact that PBO came to AZ, as a “guest” in her state…and she’s so self centered that she had to make this about her and her stupid sophomoric book that probably sells for $1.99 now…..is repulsive. The level of disrespect and arrogance of this clueless imbacile is what we have been dealing with for years. And trust me, there’s a whole lot more of people like her where this one came from. We’re infested.

• 155 Ladyhawke
      January 26, 2012 at 8:23 am

This is nothing but pure tabloid trash. NBC should be ashamed. They be reporting on the unprecedented disrespect the Republican Party has shown for President Obama. The venom from the Republican Party is just sick. That is the outrage and that is the real story of the Brewer stunt.

• 158 ChristiMTL
      January 26, 2012 at 9:21 am

Pathetic corrupt MSM

January 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

And we all know why these “Amerikkkan” investors prefer Romney.

• January 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

Tweet that to Michael Moore, who always says the opposite

• 161 utaustinliberal
      January 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

In this age of globalization and inter-connectedness, it is better to be seen more favorably amongst global investors because this is the 21st century not the dark ages and if the U.S. wants to compete on a serious scale, it needs to be a leader on the world stage not just the domestic stage. If one is seen only favorably by domestic investors and not global investors then what good does that do for America? How does that help us create businesses, increase manufacturing, trade, technology, research, health, education etc. If we were just leaders on the domestic front, that essentially amounts to an isolationist principle. Who does that benefit?

50. 162 ChristiMTL
    January 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

Newt Gingrich fires up supporters with promise of conservative revolution

“You always have to wonder when Obama speaks, which country he thinks he’s talking about,” said Gingrich, to shrieks of delight from the audience.

But the implication of otherness – that Obama is African American, and is also not really of America – is ever present at Gingrich rallies.

“By the time ex-president Obama lands in Chicago,” he said, imagining the first day of a Gingrich presidency, “we will have dismantled about 40% of his administration”.

In response, some in the crowd started chanting “Kenya, Kenya” – saying that Obama should go back to where his father, and some say he, was born.

THIS, even after almost 4 years, anger me to no end….ugly racists……the Palin’s crowds……..

• January 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

I despise that jerk and his followers with the heat of a billion suns+1. Arrogance and stupidity are a very toxic and dangerous mix.

January 26, 2012 at 8:46 am

Like I said, be prepared tonight for an ugly embarrassing circus KKK clown show on CNN. CNN is allowing the audience input precisely because they know Newt will incite his followers. To CNN it’s a damn game. But they had better be careful what they wished for.

• 165 Ladyhawke
      January 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

THE UGLY REPUBLICANS

The Republican Party could not be saddled with a more appropriate presidential candidate than Newt Gingrich. He wrote the book on nasty politics.

• 166 nospin
      January 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

my hope is Gingrich will go even further during the next debate on National television.

He is working hard and fast to insert nails in the GOP coffin.

Go for broke Newt, go for broke. Let it all air out.

• January 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

91% approved of President Obama’s SOTU. 9% disapproved. How many people attended Newt’s rally? Not a drop in a bucket compared to the total electorate. Newt is a vile piece of dirt and those who agree with him are the same. Remember the speech during the 2008 campaign when Candidate Obama brushed his shoulders off? That’s what we have to do. Brush it off and continue to work to re-elect this great man.

Press on!

• January 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Even if Newt had reasonable ideas, why would any self-loving human being want a person to lead their country and impact the future of their children who was this hateful and vile? This is despicable – and it makes you wonder who these people are in that audience that can say and scream the things they’re saying and screaming? And the whole world is watching this. These people need to be completely repudiated.

January 26, 2012 at 8:36 am

From BJ: What really happened was that Brewer asked Obama for a meeting and Obama pointed out that after the last meeting in the Oval Office, Brewer lied about it in her book. BITCH.

52. January 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

Rick Santorum accused President Obama of wanting Americans to go to colleges and universities that will indoctrinate them to be liberals.

“It’s no wonder President Obama wants every kid go to go college,” Santorum said Wednesday in Florida, according to CBS News. “The indoctrination that occurs in American universities is one of the keys to the left holding and maintaining power in America. And it is indoctrination. If it was the other way around, the ACLU would be out there making sure there wasn’t one penny of government dollars going to colleges and universities, right?”

Oh my!

• 171 ChristiMTL
      January 26, 2012 at 8:44 am

The only way they can keep winning elections………keep the base as ignorant as possible, from generation to generation.

Sickos.

Fear and ignorance….the best combination

• January 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Given that their base is completely white, doesn’t this fear of education create a self-fulfilling prophecy around their fear of becoming the race that is out of power? The fact is, many of the winners of science competitions, and many of the advanced skilled workers out there are now minorities – both internal to the US and external. The quickest way to make American children, specifically white American children, inferior to their minority counterparts is to deprive them of a decent education and a desire to learn. The lack of critical thinking is frightening already. While the rest of the world, and minorities in the US, typically does whatever it takes to get an education and excel, these people are advocating closed-mindedness and inability to think and form objective conclusions.

I can’t imagine any thinking parent, minority or not, would want this type of thinking in the Oval Office. I sincerely doubt that thinking people, white and non-white, agree with this nonsense. It’s dangerous and is a grave injustice for the children of this country.

There was a GOP commercial that ran a couple of years ago that showed a future university class in China talking about the great American empire that had disappeared. They claimed that it was because of health care reform and other such nonsense. The real danger is that if the GOP continue to have any influence or power in this country, they certainly will destroy this country. Especially with the types of bullying, ignorant and unbending culture that the GOP is advocating.

• January 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

I heard rightwingers say this during the 2008 campaign. Unfreakingbelievable!

53. 175 dotster3
    January 26, 2012 at 8:57 am

AP story today —–“Gingrich donor is casino mogul, Israeli hardliner”—–Sup. Ct. braindead, democracy-destroying Citizens United decision allowing a single billionaire with a singular motive to buy an election. (And Romney says “Thank you, AP)

54. January 26, 2012 at 9:04 am

Billionaire Bill Gates Calls For Increasing Taxes On The Rich: ‘That’s Just Justice’
    By Tanya Somanader on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Last night in his State of the Union address, President Obama once again urged Congress to pass the Buffett rule, noting that 25 percent of American millionaires pay less in taxes that millions of families in the middle-class. Republicans were quick to dismiss his request as “the politics of envy and division.” However, multi-billionaire Bill Gates called his policy something else entirely: “That’s just justice.”

In an interview with the BBC, Gates noted “taxes are going to have to go up” and thus he’d prefer that they “go up more on the rich than everyone else.” There needs to be “a sense of shared sacrifice,” he said, adding, “right now, I don’t feel like people like myself are paying as much as we should”:

GATES: Well the United States has a huge budget deficit, so taxes are going to have to go up. And I certainly agree that they should go up more on the rich than everyone else. That’s just justice.

BBC HOST: Is that a message you think that works with other people as wealthy as yourself, or is it just a small circle of friends — yourself, Warren Buffet, a few others.

GATES: Well, I hope we can solve that deficit problem with a sense of shared sacrifice — where everybody would feel like they’re doing their part. And right now, I don’t feel like people like myself are paying as much as we should.

55. January 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

I get so tired of these GOPers trying to do revisionist history on the Civil Rights Movement. Don’t think so, Krispy Kreme.

……………………………………

Christie says like same-sex marriage, civil rights movement could have been settled through ballot referendum
    Wednesday, 25 January 2012 16:08

Speaker Oliver calls comment an insult to those who died for civil rights in South

BY TOM HESTER SR.
    NEWJERSEYNEWSROOM.COM
    In a comment related to his call for a voter referendum on the proposal to legalize gay marriage in New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie said Wednesday, “People would have been happy to have referendum on civil rights rather than fighting and dying in the streets in the South.”

The governor, who on Tuesday called for a referendum on the Nov. 6 ballot that would ask voters to decide if the state should legalize same-sex marriage, also said he will veto the Democratic legislation to allow it when the proposal reaches his desk.

The comment that the civil rights movement of the 1960s could have been settled through a national or southern states voter referendum stunned Assembly Speaker Sheila Y. Oliver (D-Essex), who became the first African-American woman to head the lower house in 2010.

“Gov. Christie better sit down with some of New Jersey’s great teachers for a history lesson, because his puzzling comment shows a complete misunderstanding about the civil rights movement,” Oliver said. “It’s impossible to ever conceive that a referendum on civil rights in the South would have been successful and brought justice to minorities. It’s unfathomable to even suggest a referendum would have been the better course.
    “Governor – people were fighting and dying in the streets of the South for a reason,” the Assemblywoman said. “They were fighting and dying in the streets of the South because the majority refused to grant minorities equal rights by any method. It look legislative action to bring justice to all Americans, just as legislative action is the right way to bring marriage equality to all New Jerseyans.

“The governor’s comment is an insult to those who had no choice but to fight and die in the streets for equal rights,” Oliver said. “The governor needs to show the same courage. We do not shrug off civil rights. We do not pass on tough decisions.”

Assemblywoman Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-Mercer) also offered criticism of the governor’s comment.

“It’s difficult to understand what the governor was thinking,” Watson Coleman said. “His words defy history and were extremely insensitive to the struggle for equality of African-Americans and other minorities in this country. Fighting and dying in the streets of the South was not a choice, governor, it was the only way.

• 180 JoJothecat
      January 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

WOW, Krispy K. Krispy is showing his ignorance of the civil rights fight. If the south had to put it to a vote and blacks could not vote, I would imagine blacks in the south would still be subject to Jim Crow laws.

56. January 26, 2012 at 9:09 am

Stephanie is on chuck todds show.

• 183 utaustinliberal
        January 26, 2012 at 9:29 am

I saw her on the Daily Rundown. She is incredibly fantastic as a spokesperson for OFA. She just breaks down PBO’s accomplishments in simple plain terms and relates them to how they improve everyday American’s lives. Plus she doesn’t allow Chuck Todd to get away with BS. She’s awesome!

• 184 57andFemale
      January 26, 2012 at 10:37 am

Sorry I missed her. It would take Stephanie to tune in that insufferable bastard.

57. January 26, 2012 at 9:09 am

Newt Gingrich fires up supporters with promise of conservative revolution

The former House speaker has been drawing thousands to his rallies in Florida, while rival Mitt Romney is falling flat. Gingrich is surging – and the Republican establishment is worried

………………..

He also conjures up a fantasy about the way the country is being run in which too much regulation of the banks caused the economic crisis and Obama is making it worse by trying to impose “European-style socialism”. It is anti-American, he tells the Sarasota crowd.

Newt Gingrich in Sarasota. Photograph: TJ Kirkpatrick/Corbis With Obama, though, it is different to any other president. The undercurrent is not only that Obama does not know his own country but that he is not a real American.

The attempts to claim that the president was not born in the US – led by bits of Fox News, right wing radio talk show hosts and an East European immigrant dentist in California – have largely been put to rest.

• January 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

Rikyah, this is what will destroy the Republican Party. When you so openly embrace the KKK and make that your image, you’ve lost. I don’t care how many school board seats or local elections go to Republicans, the party is dead unless it lances this cancer of racism that is now consuming its soul. There are good, decent people in America, which I happen to believe are the majority, even if they don’t make a lot of noise. If, as a contender for the highest office in the land, you bank you candidacy on the notion that Americans are essentially venal and racist, then you are doomed. Yes, we are fighting to re-elect our beloved president and yes we want a Congress he can work with, but above all else we are fighting for decency. The Republicans have brought us to the edge of a cesspool and we must open the eyes of our fellow citizens to the dreadful path that could lie before them if they don’t vote.

PBO concluded his speech with the thought that we are all woven together as a people just like the stars and stripes of the flag and just like the names of the soldiers who worked TOGETHER to capture Bin Laden. So I would ask anyone who admires Newt, what part of this vision of America seems foreign to them? The flag? The Navy Seals working together? The idea that we are a nation built on the concept of E Pluribus Unum? Or, is it perhaps the skin color of the man who said it?

• January 26, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Brilliant – this is the question I was hoping some of the so-called liberal pundits would have asked yesterday – what part of President Obama’s call for unity and teamwork and togetherness is un-American? What part of his praise of the military was un-American? What part of his call for increased investment in the US is un-American? What part of the values he called Americans to re-embrace is un-American? What part of this American-born President of the United States is un-American?

These people make me sick.

58. January 26, 2012 at 9:10 am

January 25, 2012
    (-)Romney
    I said this only two days ago but I’ll say it again. Mitt Romney is fast becoming as unelectable as Barry Goldwater, George McGovern, or David Duke. He’s not merely imploding; he’s disintegrating.

From the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll:

Among independents, Romney’s unfavorable rating now tops 50 percent — albeit by a single point — a first in Post-ABC polling back to 2006. Just two weeks ago, more independents had favorable than unfavorable views of Romney; now, it’s 2 to 1 negative….

Even “among his fellow Republicans, negative ratings have jumped from 18 to 32 percent.” The even better news? Within his party Romney retains a 58 percent favorable rating — which means they may yet salute him in Tampa.

Once all the stupefying splendor of Newt Gingrich has passed, the GOP faithful will shudder the confetti, they’ll look around, broodingly, and they’ll resume their … ahem … support of Willard Mitt Romney, that latte-drinking, biscotti-munching, wind-surfing, French-speaking caveman of the Caymans.

59. 189 halo
    January 26, 2012 at 9:20 am

Jobless Claims in U.S. Increase 21,000

BUT

“The job-market recovery remains on track,” said Scott Brown, chief economist at Raymond James & Associates Inc. in St. Petersburg, Florida, who forecast claims would rise to 380,000. “The underlying trend is moderately low layoffs. We certainly have seen a lot volatility in the week to week numbers.”

60. 190 Fred
    January 26, 2012 at 9:21 am

good morning TOD family.

may God watch over and bless and most of all protect our Potus until he gets inside the WH.

That Brewer bitch (excuse my language) kept me up all damn night and Roger losing once again to Nadal has me really pissed off :roll:

I did some digging on Jane Brewer and found THIS little gem that should be made public.Show this disrespectful racist bitch NO mercy.

—-
    Jan Brewer’s son’s criminal records released by judge

A Maricopa County Superior Court judge on Monday ordered the release of criminal records on Gov. Jan Brewer’s son, who has lived at the Arizona State Hospital for most of the past 20 years.

Phoenix Newspapers, Inc. has been locked in a battle to unseal the documents since late June, after Brewer’s office learned that the court clerk’s office had inadvertently produced a portion of the case file through a records request although the records were supposed to be sealed.

Even though Ronald Brewer’s file was open for nearly 20 years, it was sealed in early 2009 as it became clear that Jan Brewer would move from the Secretary of State’s Office to become governor.

Judge Pendleton Gaines on Aug. 31 said that Ronald’s request for privacy did not outweigh the public’s right to have access to the criminal-case file, which are typically open public records.

The judge said he will review eight documents, including psychiatric and medical records, to determine whether they should remain sealed. Medical records generally are closed to the public.

“I believe The Republic has been sensitive to the issues involved in this case and responsible in its reporting while, at the same time, working diligently to protect the public’s essential access to criminal-case files,” said Randy Lovely, Republic editor and vice president for news. “Obviously, we’re appreciative of the court’s ruling.”

The Republic decided not to publicize the story until the ruling was finalized on Monday.

The governor was shaken during a June interview and told a Republic reporter that her son’s records were supposed to be sealed.

After that interview, her son’s attorney, Reginald Cooke, asked a judge to force Phoenix Newspapers, the newspaper’s parent company, to return the case file and prevent the paper from printing anything contained in it. PNI asked the judge to unseal the file.

Political connections

The Arizona Republic obtained a copy of Ronald Brewer’s court file in May through a records request.

A week after Cooke asked the court to prevent The Republic from publishing anything from the case file, the governor’s campaign lawyer, Lisa Hauser, signed on to help keep Ronald’s case sealed.

Hauser, who also provided legal counsel for Jan Brewer’s transition team, is one of 13 applicants for a position on the Arizona Supreme Court – a position Brewer will appoint.

The Commission on Appellate Court Appointments, which chooses the Supreme Court nominees, met in Phoenix on Monday. The commission moved Hauser ahead, granting her one of nine interviews to be held Sept. 30.

Hauser did not return calls seeking comment.

Doug Cole, who runs Brewer’s campaign through the consulting firm High Ground and is one of the governor’s closest advisers, has been intimately involved in the fight as well.

About two weeks after Hauser signed on as counsel, Cole sat in on a meeting with Hauser, an attorney representing the state hospital, an attorney representing the newspaper and Lovely, to try to resolve the records dispute.

Brewer also appointed Cole as one of 10 public members of the Commission on Appellate Court Appointments, which selects the judicial nominees.

Paul Senseman, Brewer’s spokesman, said Hauser came into the proceedings at the request of Ronald’s attorney, who wanted Hauser’s expertise in public-records law. Ronald paid for Hauser’s services, Senseman said.

Cole said he participated in the proceedings as a representative of the governor.

“She’s involved because she’s the governor and he’s her son. . . . This has nothing to do with the campaign,” Cole said. “She needs to have her place at the table, and she entrusted me with that. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Lovely said: “Throughout this case, the governor’s representatives tried to portray this solely as a family matter and not a political issue. Yet those representatives, Doug Cole and Lisa Hauser, are directly tied to the governor’s re-election campaign.”

Sealing the records

Ronald Brewer, 46, has dealt with mental illness since he was an adolescent. He was 25 years old when he was accused of sexual assault and kidnapping. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1990 and committed to the Arizona State Hospital, where he has remained for most of the time since.

Ronald’s criminal court file had been open to the public in the Maricopa County Superior Court’s records office for 20 years.

But Jan Brewer’s ascendance to governor, after Janet Napolitano took a position in the Obama administration, triggered Ronald to request a change.

His attorney filed a motion on Jan. 2, 2009, to seal the case file.

“Ronald Brewer’s mother is a public figure in the State of Arizona,” the motion states. “It has come to our attention that others have recently attempted to embarrass Ronald Brewer and his family by publicizing his criminal and mental-health problems,” it states.

Gaines granted the motion on Jan. 6.

Jan Brewer was sworn in as governor on Jan. 14.

While the documents were officially sealed, a clerk in the county court records office in May gave the microfiche to Republic reporter JJ Hensley, who filled out a standard form for information about the case.

Reporter Ginger Rough, who covers the Governor’s Office, in June asked the governor detailed questions about the case for a policy story about cuts to the mental-health budget.

Hensley returned to the records bureau two days after that interview and was told the file was sealed, including the motion filed in 2009 that prompted the judge to close the file.

That same day, a representative from Brewer’s office informed the paper that a motion would be filed asking Gaines to bar The Republic from printing anything contained in the file and force PNI to return the case file.

After hearing legal arguments for nearly two months, Gaines ruled in favor of the paper on Aug. 31, a decision that remained sealed until Monday afternoon.

“The generalized concern of (Ronald Brewer’s doctor) about the Defendant’s fragility or potential impact upon him of the release of all or any portion of a file which was in the public domain for some 20 years is not sufficient enough to outweigh the public’s right to know,” Gaines wrote.

Public perception

The governor said her son’s case was a private matter. His lawyers were concerned that publicizing the case could lead Ronald to be a danger to himself and others and could embarrass his family.

But the disclosure of his case is unlikely to damage Gov. Brewer’s election bid, said Christopher Arterton, a professor at George Washington University’s Graduate School of Political Management.

The efforts to keep the information from the public, however, could be a missed opportunity.

Most modern politicians assume such information will come out eventually, Arterton said, so they prefer to address it publicly before the media dig it up.

“Frankly, it doesn’t seem to me to be terribly damaging,” Arterton said. “This sort of thing happens in families. It’s regrettable.”

But publicly connecting with an issue such as mental health could have made Brewer the champion for the cause since her career in the Legislature, he said.

“Mental illness has been so stigmatized and so swept under the rug by people that even if she had been more forthcoming it would have provoked a discussion and more knowledge that mental illness does not need this ‘lets hide them away forever’ kind of approach for families,” he said. “It was in some ways a missed opportunity.”

61. 191 carolyn
    January 26, 2012 at 9:23 am

Regarding Jan Brewer’s disrespectful treatment of the President, my husband this morning said he’s never seen such treatment of a president in his long life. I replied that it is race, pure and simple. We know that whoever the first non-Caucasian president would be, would receive this kind of treatment, and I am ashamed. I do think that if Hillary had been elected, she would have received similar treatment from much the same contingent. Because there is no respect for women from much the same quarters. Now, maybe the women governors would not have behaved this way, but so many of them…Brewer, Haley, Fallin (here in Oklahoma) are such far right ideologues, that I wouldn’t be surprised at similar behavior just to prove their bona fides with the far right males.
    This behavior is disgusting and wrong, and is turning the stomachs and votes of young people, who do not have the same deep prejudices….fortunately!

62. 192 donna dem 4 obama
    January 26, 2012 at 9:24 am

Good Morning TOD

Allow me a little rant this morning.

Okay the decline in viewers for the SOTU address has me pissed. And before you all come at me about “house party’s and online viewers” let me stop you now and tell you that we have had house party’s and online viewers from every single SOTU that this President has given. Those numbers have basically remained the same. So that has absolutely nothing to do with the decline IMO. 52M for the first 2009 Joint Session; 48M for his actual first SOTU in 2010 and 42M in 2011.

Do you know which speech got President Obama’s highest viewers? Its not hard to guess….it was the 9 (NINE) minute address to the Nation that OBL had been taken out. It was given at 11:45 on a Sunday night and 56 million people tuned in to hear that. I am so frustrated with this sound bite driven, instant gratification country we live in. 38M viewers isn’t mince meat but come on people. All the major networks and cable had the SOTU address so folks were almost “forced” to watch. In this highly contested election year all the public had to do was listen. A 12% decline because folks couldn’t be bothered to listen is ludicrous to me.

So if I hear one more person this year tell me they don’t know what he stands for or what he has accomplished I just may go ballistic on them.

As penance for this rant I will be spending 4 hours at my local OFA office this Saturday.

Have a Nice Day TOD!!!

• 193 halo
      January 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

We live in a sound bite era. It’s frustrating but that’s the game. So it’s either eat or be eaten. PBO and his team love to say they don’t care about sound bites and that the American people are smarter than that, but it’s not true. People don’t care about policy more than they care about perception and what they hear in 2 minute segments on the news. People don’t really pay attention to politics so you HAVE to play the game. If PBO had soundbites the past few years, I’m sure mre people will be able say what he satnds for or accomplished. In the end, PBO will win because he’s just that much better than the other oppoenents, but he and his team could have cut their losses in the midterms if they had better messaging and set expectations correctly, instead of letting htat 8% marker go WAY unchalleneged as if the GOP wasn’t goin to use it to bash them over the head or letting death panels go unchalleneged.

• 194 AnitaW
      January 26, 2012 at 9:49 am

Donna, last year I watched on television and this year I watched online. Some folks I know didn’t watch, but listened in the car. I wouldn’t worry about this too much. I think people are paying more attention than the media is aware of because of different options. And just simply word of mouth from friends and families. The water-cooler moments if you will. My Mom is a reality tv junkie and I have to point out all sorts of stuff to her. Drives me crazy. But if I want her to be informed about what’s going on I have to tell her.

• January 26, 2012 at 10:36 am

Donna, I am cynical when it comes to numbers, especially numbers that are estimates at best. I have never been polled for any TV program. No one I know has ever been polled. These numbers could very well be accurate or IMO they could just as easily be inaccurate. I agree with you that far to many people are not paying attention. My sister has a friend (64 year old AA woman) who actually said “well he (President Obama) really hasn’t done that much. She doesn’t have a computer. She gets what little information she has from the TV. She might read the papers. This is not a stupid woman. She’s articulate and seems educated. She is one of those people who are willfully uninformed. I fear there may be too many of them.

• 196 donna dem 4 obama
        January 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

My understanding is that now that all tv viewing is digital they no longer have to physically poll people to get raw numbers. They are just out there floating around in cyberspace (or something like that).

Yep, there are far too many people such as your sister’s friend. I have encountered some of them personally over the last year. :(

• 197 JoJothecat
      January 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

Maybe the SOTU parties was the cause of the decline in # of viewers? If there are six to eight people at a SOTU party and there were 1000’s across the country, it may have reduced the # of teevees turned on. Also, the SOTU was shown during commute time in California. Many people listened on the radio on their drive home.

63. January 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

President Barack Obama’s embrace of an “all-of-the-above” energy strategy continues Thursday when the Interior Department announces plans for a June lease sale for oil and gas development on about 38 million acres in the central Gulf of Mexico.

Under pressure from Republicans and industry groups who say Obama’s record is weak on fossil fuels, Interior will counter that it’s bringing another jolt to domestic production with estimates of about 1 billion barrels of oil and 4 trillion cubic feet of natural gas now available off the shores of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

Obama himself plans to highlight the June 20 lease sale coming from Interior’s BOEM during visits to Las Vegas and Denver on Thursday that are part of a larger barnstorming tour connected to this week’s State of the Union speech.

• 200 57andFemale
      January 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

Wow. My husband and I thought the main story (at least from the rabid left) would be the ‘75% increase’ in offshore drilling. We were afraid. Very afraid.

I admit I don’t frequent firebagger sites so I don’t know if this is an issue with them or not but it had not percolated up to the main news coverage on the SOTU, thank God.

64. January 26, 2012 at 9:37 am

U.S. Durable Goods Orders Beat Expectations

Orders for U.S. durable goods rose more than forecast in December, led by demand for aircraft, autos and business equipment that signals further manufacturing gains.
    Bookings (DGNOCHNG) for goods meant to last at least three years climbed 3 percent after a revised 4.3 percent gain the prior month that was more than previously estimated, data from the Commerce Department showed today. Economists projected a 2 percent increase, according to the median forecast in a Bloomberg News survey. Demand picked up for machinery, metals and communications equipment.
    Gains in consumer and business spending, coupled with lean inventories, may keep driving production in coming months and spur the expansion. Sustained demand from China, Brazil and other emerging economies may also help shield U.S. factories from a slowdown in Europe stemming from its sovereign debt crisis.

65. 202 a4alice
    January 26, 2012 at 9:37 am

K people just in case anyone is still ticked off at Brewer for disrespecting PBO here a bunch of ways to contact her:

Phoenix Office: (602) 542-4331
    Tucson Office: (520) 628-6580
    Fax Number: (602) 542-1381
    In-State Toll Free: 1-800-253-0883 (outside Maricopa County only)

Twitter Handle: @GovBrewer

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GovJanBrewer

and remember you can send two free faxes a day using this website:

http://faxzero.com/ just insert the fax number above.

I plan to tweet and fax today. I’ll let you know when I’ve completed my task.

66. January 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

I think POTUS and FLOTUS have been married for 19 years and not 15 years

67. 216 CTGirl
    January 26, 2012 at 9:50 am

I am neither tired nor am I pissed at brewer’s behavior or Noot’s playing in the racist pen…my eyes are focused on the prize and I refuse to be destracted by an insignificant gnat or a trifling boar. Attention is all Brewer seeks, let’s not feed her.

68. 217 CTGirl
    January 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

That should be distracted…

69. 218 blondegrrl
    January 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

You know who I’d nominate for Boss of the Year? Warren Buffett. He really is one of the good guys in corporate America. I like that he cares about his assistant’s life outside of the office.

70. 220 57andFemale
    January 26, 2012 at 10:13 am

Okay, am I the only one who has a sick feeling in my stomach about Steve Benen leaving Washington Monthly? His link took me to the maddow Blog. Won’t he have his own column or write anonymously?

I don’t handle change all that well.

• January 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

not the only one. I am sad too :(

• 222 donna dem 4 obama
      January 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

I’m right there with you. I just don’t think his blogging there will be the same but I guess we will have to wait and see.

• January 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Yes – I suspect they hired him to corrupt him, because he’s pretty much one of less than a handful of good reporters who present the facts and the criticisms with fairness, objectivity and respect for the President. They want to shut him down, as far as I’m concerned. I’m not happy about the move at all.

71. 224 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 26, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’M GOING TO START MY DAY WITH ‘HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL’ AND WE ARE BLESSED WITH A WONDERFUL PRESIDENT! GOD WILL ANSWER TO THE LIZARD OUT WEST WITH THE FORKED TONGUE. HIS PAYBACKS ARE GRUESOME FOR THE UNJUST,VILE AND HATE FILLED PEOPLE THAT WANDER THIS PLANET…AND HE NEVER FORGETS!!!!! AS FOR PBO…HE’S A CUT ABOVE IT ALL…THAT ‘CACTUS’ WITH A FACE WILL GET HERS…AND OUR PRESIDENT WILL BRUSH HER OFF! SWEEPER NEEDED IN AISLE #3!…:)

72. 225 donna dem 4 obama
    January 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

The watercooler conversation here at work is all about that vile woman. I gave my two cents and then her phone number to call and place their complaint. Hopefully they will follow through on that.

73. 226 a4alice
    January 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

OK sent this fax. to Gov Brewer Now I am done and moving on.

Your actions on the tarmac toward our President were both innappropriate and disrespectful. You were addressing the President of the United States. The picture you presented was boorish and bullying. I don’t really expect you to understand that. What an amazing contrast between you and Gabby Giffords.

And now. That’s all the attention I’m giving you. Please know that I’ll be making another donation to President Obama’s campaign. I hope the Democrats of your state make it their priority to elect someone who is your direct opposite.

Alice (last name deleted for here but wrote it on my fax)
    citizen of the US but
    not from your state. Poor Arizona

I am glad to let her know though that her action provoked another donation from me which I will make later today!