Jan

there’s something in the air – four more years?

President Obama arrives on a rainy and foggy night in Romulus, Michigan, January 26

Friday:

9:45 ET  PBO delivers remarks at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor

11:00: Departs Michigan en route to Joint Base Andrews

12:25: Arrives at Joint Base Andrews

12:30: Departs Joint Base Andrews en route to Cambridge, Md.

PBO and VP Biden address House Democrats at their annual retreat

3:00: Arrives at the White House

3:30: PBO and VP Biden meet with Secretary of State Clinton

4:30: PBO delivers remarks at a campaign event

A segment of the line of people waiting for tickets to see President Barack Obama speak on Friday starts near the Michigan Union, winds around the Fleming Administration Building, back toward the Literature, Science, and the Arts Building, and north down Maynard St

See the post below for more on the demand for tickets for tomorrow’s speech

Freep.com: Two months ago, it appeared Michigan might well be prime real estate for Mitt Romney as he sought the Republican nomination for president.

In a Detroit Free Press/WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) poll then, native Michigander Romney led the Democratic president, Barack Obama, 46%-41%, in a head-to-head matchup.

But as Romney’s path to the nomination has gotten cloudy, his lead in the state over the Democratic incumbent also has evaporated. In a new Michigan poll, Obama has taken the head-to-head lead, 48%-40%.

More here

MSNBC: Newt Gingrich leads Mitt Romney among Republicans, but he is the weakest of the Republican candidates tested against President Obama, according to an NBC News-Wall Street Journal poll released Thursday evening.

Gingrich leads Romney 37 percent to 28 percent nationally among registered Republicans likely to vote in the primaries; Rick Santorum is in third with 18 percent, and Ron Paul is fourth with 12 percent.

…. Romney fares best against the president, trailing Obama by six points among registered voters, 49 percent to 43 percent. That’s a four-point improvement for the president from a month ago.

Obama, however, beats Gingrich by a whopping 18 points, 55-37 percent, expanding the president’s 11-point lead a month ago.

More here

Why do the military hate him?

Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora Colorado, January 26

Original video here

What can I say? You’re amazing people. Thank you Pamela – I completely missed the good news ;-)

Billboard

In case you missed this, I brought it over from the last post – thanks Lamh. 490%? Hilarious!

What? You want to hear it again? :shock:

Oh, okay:

257 Responses to “there’s something in the air – four more years?”

1. 1 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    January 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm

In summary:

#PRESSON

• 2 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      January 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Love your tweets. Congrats on 1st!

• 9 utaustinliberal
        January 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm

This just makes me go awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. It gladdens my heart to know there’ll be a repeat of the victory kiss come Nov. 6, 2012.

January 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Our President have been running, running, running. He need to get home and see his family and rest.

• 13 HZ
          January 27, 2012 at 12:31 am

Oh yes , this is going to be some victory. When have you Ever seen such love and inspiration of a remarkable Team in the Whitehouse , that is a President, Our First Lady, a Vice President and our SLOTUS hugging and sharing a beautiful kiss on stage for all the world to see and love!! Beautiful indeed!!!! And be so real with it!!!! Oh yea!!!!!

Be honest now. NEVER!!!!!HZ

• January 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Thanks for your strong presence on twitter Bobfr

#PressOn

• 15 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      January 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Oh my … thank you Alycee, Tigerfists88 & Chipsticks (and that’s just a super photo of our two favorite people!).

Yes We Can … DO More Together – We Must!

• January 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm

BobFr – I really like that #GreedOverCountry –> WE NEED TO MAKE THIS VIRAL !!!

• 18 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        January 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Please do, my friend.

Everything I post is for all to use any way they find helpful to our President and our Republic.

#OutPerform1936

• 19 GGail
      January 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Congratulations Bobfr on being First.
      Tell me your secret…..I can’t get a one word First and here you’ve posted 4 tweets.

Hey Chipsticks, maybe you could send me a heads-up email just before you hit Send :-)

• 20 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        January 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Thank you GGail. As noted, ‘State secret’ :D :D

I just happened to have assembled a set of tweets to share with everyone a moment before our dear Chips launched a new thread, so instead of it being at the tail of the previous one it landed here :)

#PRESSON

January 26, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Bobfr – You have found your medium in Twitter. Bravo!

• 25 nathkatun7
      January 27, 2012 at 1:22 am

Press on, Bobfr! President Obama is so blessed to have you as an enthusiastic supporter. I just admire your ability to write and your absolute fearlessness in taking the fight to the GOP moron liars who are running for President.

• January 27, 2012 at 7:40 am

Well done, Bob. The one about blind trusts is a zinger. Robney knows this is an outright dodge and thinks we’re all stupid enough to believe him. He’s a lying creep.

• 28 Obama Grandmama
      January 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Love the blind trust definition!

2. 29 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 26, 2012 at 10:33 pm

The winner and still Champion — President Obama!

3. 30 taiping1
    January 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

We
    Can!

4. 31 Robert
    January 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Wow…before hearing Newt tonight I thought it was impossible to be full of yourself and full of shit at the same time.

5. 33 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm
    • 34 utaustinliberal
      January 26, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Exactly. Some in the news business have noticed this slight too and some in the news business are guilty of this also. It speaks of the utter disdain and lack of respect they have for PBO. The one comfort is that PBO is going to soundly trounce the GOP clown come Nov. 6, 2012.

January 26, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Even Howard Fineman was ranting about the disrespect in not calling him “President” Obama. If I think of it the next time I listen to old Howard, I’ll check how he’s doing.

• 36 HZ
        January 27, 2012 at 12:38 am

Yes, he will UT. We will make sure of that. Thanks for all that you do UT. I appreciate you so very much.HZ

• January 27, 2012 at 7:49 am

This disrespectful attitude is going to come back and bite them in the rear. First, the president is well-liked, even by those who disagree with him and flagrant disrespect makes people question not the president, but the person who shows the disrespect. Second, every time these creatures give the president less than his due, they put one more nail in their coffin withminority voters. People see what’s going on and don’t like it one bit. Third, this disrespectful attitude is VERY motivating to PBO’s base. It gives them greater energy to work hard to put these pitiful R candidates in their place. And fourth, when they speak this way, they show exactly how little character and integrity they have. They are literally pouring shame on themselves as they speak. They should have listened to their own Luntz guy who told them that disrespect of the president would backfire on them.

January 26, 2012 at 11:32 pm

We all know that the reason these sorry ass bigots won’t call him President Obama is because their racists sick base won’t mallow them too. If they show President Obama any respect, the base would get mad and not vote for them. They all are racists, Mitt, Newt, Rick, Paul. And their base.

January 26, 2012 at 11:32 pm

That should be allow them too.

• 40 nathkatun7
        January 27, 2012 at 1:42 am

Anniebella, I agree with you completely! The disrespect for President Obama is all about race. Gingrich hated President Clinton, but he still calls him President Clinton. By the way, the refusal to “afford PRESIDENT Obama the same respect….” of addressing him by his title as President, is not limited to the GOP. Many in the PL, as well as the so called pundits in the MSM, consistently refuse to call President Obama by his title.

January 27, 2012 at 6:28 am

nathkatun7, I talk to my family and friends constantly and the first thing they say is that the Republicans don’t like the President because he is black. They don’t show him the respect that other President have been shown. Black people know that. Now that sick bitch of a Governor from Arizona is saying she felt threaten by the President, that big black man in front of cameras, and many other people were going to harm her. Their were another Mayor there who said nothing went on like Brewer said and he was a Republican . You’re right, it’s not limited to those racists Republicans. I’ve notice the media doing the same, and sometimes I email them and tell them that it’s President Obama, not Obama. Same with the PL too. I probably shouldn’t have call Brewer that name.

• January 27, 2012 at 8:37 am

And annibella, when I talk to my family and Friends, they too say the same thing, It’s all because PBO Is black. It’s transparent, obvious, and even Stevie Wonder, can see this, but most of all, WE FEEL this. The Idea that the Jan Brewer now says she felt threaten? Threaten?? That picture of her on the tarmac, with her finger pointed at PBO, MOST certainly didn’t look like threaten to me. There are some very NASTY bigots lurking, and will do and say anything to get their way.

• 43 Mae who love our CIC
      January 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

Yes our President deserves to be respected by his titled name. Some handles his titled name loosely because of their lack of character. A self assured person will give proper respect.

President Obama makes the title, the title doesn’t make him. At the end of the day he is President Obama and we love him greatly.

January 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm

halo, you had a very good question on the last thread about Latinos and their feelings about PBO…..My response was that PBO addressed BOTH issues that you raised on Spanish language TV interview….Chips has it posted. Please watch…it was really good:)

January 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I also wanted to point out that PBO received 67% of Latino vote in 2008. Exactly the same as his current support of 67%. This data does not comport with the “disappointment” meme and “opening” for the Republicans.

• 46 halo
      January 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Oh yes I saw that. I don’t think that PBO will lose the Hispanic vote by any means. I was pointing out, however, that the Hispanic community was hoping for alot of action on immigration, but wasn’t able to get it for a variety of reasons. It would be natural fr them to be disappointed about the lack of progress because the DREAM act and comprhensive immigration reform have been on the agenda of Dems for a long time.

• 47 isonprize
        January 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm

And has been obstructed by Republicans in Congress every step of the way.

There, Halo, I fixed it for you… :lol: :lol:

• 48 HZ
          January 27, 2012 at 1:08 am

As I recall, Senator Dick Durbin(love him) has been working on the Dream Act for at least 10 plus years. We missed passing it in the Senate by 6 votes, if I recall correctly. So yes they have been working on it, but as isonprize stated they also have had Republican obstruction every step of this proces of trying to get it passed.

Here is an article: http://www.blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2011/06/sen_durbin_chairs_dream_act_he.html

Also just think of the benefits: U.S.Armed Forces, Stimulate the American economy.

It is supported by AFL-CIO,National PTA, U.S.Conference of Catholic Bishops, U.S, Conference of Mayors(who by the way just met last week in DC) CEOs of Fortune 100 Companies like Microsoft and Pifizer and over a dozen of colleges and universities. Those of us who want to help can look into writing some of these organizations and see if we can get them to start pushing to help Sen. Durbin get this passed. But let us arm ourselves with some facts to be able to push back with when we are asked about the Dream Act. Thanks TOD Family.HZ

January 27, 2012 at 6:38 am

And in the interview with Diane Sawyer President Obama told why nothing was done about immigration. It is all about the votes and when you don’t have them, what is the President to do? It should be clear to any sensible person by now that the Republicans refuse to work with this President from day one. Their agenda was to see to it that he fail, even on things that they use to suppose, they turn against it because this President supported it. And when people didn’t get their butts out to vote in 2010, it only got worse. So I would hope people would place the blame for nothing being done on immigration right were it belong, on the Republicans.

January 27, 2012 at 6:55 am

halo, the black community is disappointed in some things to, but I don’t think we will go running to a party who treat most of our people like we aren’t worth shut. We will stick with this President because we believe he is trying to do the right thing for all of us, black, white, red, brown, whatever. Do the Hispanics really believe the Republicans have their best interest in heart? Really. People don’t have patience, do anyone thing rights for Black Americans were gotten over night, no it took along time. And we still have to fight today.

• January 27, 2012 at 7:38 am

Goooood Morning….TODers….sipping coffee…..ummmmm…nothing like a great cup of coffee in the morning… :-D

to comment…

annie…

it is not that folks will vote for Repubs…but they could lose their hope…..opt out and not vote at all….

that is the danger….

• 53 L3
            January 27, 2012 at 7:45 am

And that would still be a vote for Republicans.

January 27, 2012 at 8:16 am

OMG, pf! Of all the days for you to talk about “sipping coffee”! I got up this morning, and went to make the coffee……and there WAS NONE! Serious panic has set in for me!!! I NEED my coffee in the morning! The sad thing is, I went to the store yesterday! Can I PLEASE have a few scoops? I’m dying here!

7. January 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm

++##############++++++++++###########++
    +###############++++++++++###########++
    +############### ++++ +++++###########++
    +###############++++++#++############++
    +################+++++#++############++

8. January 26, 2012 at 10:41 pm

That picture of President Obama coming of of AF1 is so powerful. I dare anyone to fuck with him…

9. 59 Pamela
    January 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Dear FiredUpInLA, I wish you a Happy Happy Birthday! Hope I’m still in time, only just found out!

January 26, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Happy Birthday FiredUp. May the good Lord bless you with many many more happy ones.

• 61 HZ
        January 27, 2012 at 1:12 am

Oh, FiredUpInLA, is am so sorry that I just found out. I missed it somewhere. Please forgive me. Happy Birthday. I do hope that your special day was a very lovely one. Happy Birthday, FiredUpInLA. HZ

• 62 FiredUpInCA
      January 27, 2012 at 1:50 am

Pamela, Anibella, HZ thank you very much for the birthday wishes. I am having a great birthday and since I celebrate it all year, I am going to have a great year.

10. 63 vitaminlover
    January 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm

President Obama is a visionary. He believes in people. Both he and his lovely wife are people persons. They are living the example of love in front of their daughters and are unashamedly in love with each other. They command respect and whether their enemies like it or not does not matter. They represent the epitome of the American Dream. Their lives are a dream come true and made real. I love them.

• 64 EDP4BHO
      January 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Beautifully said, so that I am mellowed after being pissed earlier. I think I’ll retire with this feeling. Thanks vitaminlover. Have a peaceful night all.

• 69 Puddin'
      January 26, 2012 at 11:33 pm

“President Obama is a visionary”…having vision is one of the great qualities of a great leader. President Obama is showing us what a real leader looks like, acts like, talk like, and walk like (swagger, baby swagger, President Obama has SWAGGER…and he can ‘sang’ too :-) :-) ) Thank GOD a whole lot of people see, recognize, respect and appreciate the GIFT/BLESSING of President Hussien Obama, because these are the people who will return PBO and his beautiful family to The White House Nov 6, 2012. President Obama makes me want to be a better person!!!!

• 70 Obama Grandmama
      January 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I believe as you do.

11. January 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Just hours after calling for expanded oil and natural gas production in Nevada, President Obama traveled to Colorado to extend an olive branch of sorts to his environmentalist base.

The president – speaking at Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora, Colo. – vowed that renewables would be a major part of his energy platform amid frustration in the environmental community over his emphasis on drilling.

12. January 26, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Thank you Chips – just an awesome post!! And thanks for posting the song again. :)

13. January 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm

In Arizona Wednesday, where he was drawing attention to his efforts to increase manufacturing, Obama playfully interacted with a supporter who shouted out: “Barack es mi hermano! (Barack is my brother!)”

“Mi hermano – mucho gusto (My brother, a real pleasure),” President Obama shouted back <————– AWESOME!!!!!!! I wish there was a video post of this somewhere, catching him saying this. Damn I love this PRESIDENT!!!! <3<3

• January 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Whoa!!!!!!! You is quick!!! Amazing you truly are!!! *sings Larry Graham – One In a Million, You* *bows down* I AM NOT WORTHY… I AM NOT WORTHY :lol: :lol: Thank you Chips *hugs*

• January 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

My pleasure NZ!!!! PS Would you have this fella’s phone number?

• 82 Pamela
          January 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

He just doesn’t miss a thing, does he? Astonishing, I am constantly staggered by his level of human evolution! I hope he is the example of where our race is headed! :)

• 83 Pamela
            January 26, 2012 at 11:12 pm

(uh… I didn’t mean this guy with the ball, I meant PBO) sorry for putting my reply in the wrong spot. :(

• 84 yardarm756
              January 26, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I concur Pamela but a whole lotta folks and visions are gonna have to die off first. Unfortunately there are too many clinched fists and closed minds. To them the earth is still flat.

• 85 Pamela
                January 27, 2012 at 12:28 am

I know, yardarm, but I am an incurable optimist; my sense of time has nearly disappeared, and I believe the magnetic field of the Earth is shifting. When it is complete, those whose mental focus and thought systems have not made the transition will be gone, and a new age will be upon us, the foundation laid by people like President and First Lady Obama, as well as most of us here on TOD. You can feel the energy shifting as we speak and share on a Soul level. To us, the Earth is an infinitesimally tiny flake of dust in a universe vast beyond our imagination, but we are ready to know more, together. No one is ever alone in so grand a leap of consciousness!

• 86 Obama Grandmama
                  January 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I heard a little something like that on Thom Hartmann’s radio show today about the older generation being more into racist thoughts and old ways. The guest and Thom were talking 40 yrs and above. I think they were addressing gay issues at the time but mentioned it applied to many of the changes. Also was mentioned that those in their 30s and younger were growing up with different ideals and they were merged with internet and seeing things from more of a world perspective. They spoke of the older people not being as internet or blog savy and about them hanging around less diverse groups of people. Obviously they weren’t talking about us.

Being in the older set myself (twelve days from my 66th birthday) I notice how many of those I am around at senior lunches and my art guild are set in their ways. I have made inroads with their attitudes though if I am not in their face and gently but constantly point out positives they may appreciate in the ACA or other pertinent information. The sad part though is I have to address media misleading with facts a lot even for those so called Democrats that have grown up in an era of trusting the media and not recognizing the media can no longer be trusted.

• January 27, 2012 at 12:02 am

Well, THAT had me weepin’!!!!!

• 88 collegekay
        January 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm

And he has the pronunciation correct. What CAN’T this man do?

14. January 26, 2012 at 10:53 pm

‘let-the-auto-companies-go-bankrupt’ robney led the guy who saved the auto industry ???

what a fucked up set of voters….

• January 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Yep, bizzare, isn’t it? In 2010 they turned the state red to show their appreciation, and the repub governor is taking away their tax credits, and taxing their pensions to show his appreciation. Next on the agenda: Right to Work legislation. ♪ Who’s sorry now?♫

• 107 L3
        January 26, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I live in MI and unfortunately we have a lot of people here, like many around the country, who do not vote regularly and do not vote in the mid-terms. Also, people still can be swayed by the lies of the Republicans. I am happy to say I vote in every election and I believe nothing that comes out of any Republican’s mouth ever. Gov. Snyder ran as “One tough Nerd” and the people who voted bought that bullshit hook, line and sinker. Now, everyone is crying the blues when voting in 2010 for the Dem, who did not run a good campaign by the way, would have prevented Snyder’s onslaught. Gov. Granholm, the Democrat, was not a great governor. She was hampered by the legacy of her predecessor the Reublican, John Engler. Much like George W. Bush, he destroyed this state and unlike PBO she was not able to get things straighten out in her two terms so the voters went with the Republicans across the board.

Just a little local perspective.

• January 26, 2012 at 11:57 pm

So in short, the rethugs screw up a state/a country, dems step in and clean up, but that’s not good enough/fast enough and the voters bring back the same rethugs, who started the mess in the first place ?

What an enlightened electorate.

January 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Elizabeth Warren didn’t fall for Lawrence’s BS question about disagreeing with PBO’s SOTU address. Nice try Lawrence.

• 111 57andFemale
      January 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Wow she took control of Lawrence. She is terrific.

• 112 Pamela
        January 26, 2012 at 11:18 pm

She really is terrific… Small wonder the GOP were shaking in their shoes at the prospect of her heading up financial reform. She never flinched at the congressional hearings, she really knows her stuff. It would be awesome to have her run for the WH in 2016.

• 113 Obama Grandmama
          January 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Elizabeth Warren would also make an excellent Teddy Kennedy long term replacement in the Senate, a sort of Lioness of the Senate, instead of being Prez for 8 years and then gone.

• January 27, 2012 at 8:58 am

Elizabeth Is fired up and ready, she’s determined, fiesty, I like :-) She’s great

16. 115 EDP4BHO
    January 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Before I retire, you all have got to hear this. Got it from POU:

17. 121 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    January 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm

#PRESSON

• 122 EDP4BHO
      January 26, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I know Bob, right? And to think I used to admire her. Good night all !

• 123 PurpleShoesLA
      January 26, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Exactly Bob! I know SHE thought she had her “I am a serious journalist” face on, but she just looked like she was angry and smelled something bad. Maybe it was that steeming pile of crappy questions she had in her lap. Won’t be staying up for any more of this nonsense on Nightline. The continued graciousness, politeness and patience of our PBOin the wake of these pinheads never ceases to amaze. Presss ON!

• 124 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      January 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

Hi EDP and PurpleShoes,

Ms Sawyer FAILED and our gracious, dear President Obama watched with bemusement as she did.

#PRESSON

18. January 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Earlier today, Secretary Steven Chu traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to discuss President Obama’s blueprint for an American economy built to last – a blueprint which includes support for energy innovation and advanced manufacturing.

He was joined by U.S. Congressman Martin Heinrich on a tour of Sandia National Laboratories’ National Solar Thermal Test Facility, which provides researchers and companies with state-of-the-art tools, so they can stay at the forefront of solar technologies. In the afternoon, Secretary Chu also hosted a State of the Union Town Hall with young Americans at the University of New Mexico, where he announced that the University has been selected to compete in the 2013 Solar Decathlon.

Clean energy holds great economic promise for the state of New Mexico. The state ranks 3rd in the U.S. in total solar potential, and institutions like Sandia are supporting solar research that could help put America on top in the fierce global competition to lead in a clean energy sector.

19. 127 Ladyhawke
    January 26, 2012 at 11:00 pm

The amazing Elizabeth Warren is doing her thing on The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell right now. She is so totally in sync with what President Obama said at the SOTU. She is remarkable. The thought of her being the senator from Mass. just makes me giddy. And poor Scott Brown signed the Grover Norquist no taxes pledge. Sorry Scott you can’t unring that bell.

• 128 JoJothecat
      January 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

She was good on Jon Stewart a few nights ago…she looked really good in red, got a new hair cut, she is so natural and will make a great Senator for MA that would make Ted Kennedy proud.

• January 27, 2012 at 1:40 am

She has that ‘get up and get it done attitude.’ Love her so much. I believe also Sen.Ted Kennedy is smiling in his resting place. HZ

• 130 susanne
        January 27, 2012 at 3:11 am

yes, she was so good, stewart was speechless (!) when she laid out the facts. i loved it when she talked about an industry (financial?) that spent more on lobbyists than it paid in taxes. did anybody catch that? it’s an amazing piece of info, that really makes it clear how f’d the tax system is.

• 131 Obama Grandmama
          January 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm

To tack on to what Elizabeth Warren said about an industry paying more on lobbyists than on taxes. I say if we had all the money donated to the government from the rich and corporations that are taking advantage of the new Citizens United ruling I bet it would go a long way in paying down our debt.

20. January 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Whew. caught up. yah, kinda glad I didn’t watch the debates although Chips I love your mobile home idea for the moon. ;-)

Good Night TOD Sweet dreams friends.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

21. January 26, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Well, today has been a good day. Did well in my meeting, and lots of good news here. So, after a couple of Manhattans, allow me to brag about my culinary skills.

Tonight’s menu:

Santa Maria dry-rubbed baby back ribs
    Sauteed potatoes and onions
    Roasted asparagus

• January 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I think I’m going to cry …. that sounds like heaven.

• January 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Love the menu .. but mostly, love that you had Manhattans! My favorite cocktail and the original, bestest martini (dry, straight up with gin, not vodka) being the second favorite cocktail of all time.

January 26, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Hmmm…a very scrumptious dinner!

• January 26, 2012 at 11:56 pm

We just got done eating. It was better than I was anticipating. One more manhattan and I’m heading to bed.

• January 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

Liberal Librarian, your wife is so blessed. Oh, you made me hungry. I had to go down and get a glass of Almond Drink and a banana. Nothing like the delicious dinner you all had tonight.

Do you like beets and red onions? Well try the organicraw beets and half them then cut them like French Fries a thickness of your choice, then quarter some red onions , spread all on a cookie sheet, salt and pepper, and sparkle with some very good olive oil over them and bake at 350 for until tender. Delicious to the taste. The baking like this will bring out the sweetness of the beets. Not everyone like beets, but this is a great way to serve them.

Oh, LL, you will invite us over the next time you make this lovely dinner, right? Tell your lovely wife, we will be very polite guests.HZ

• 151 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      January 27, 2012 at 2:04 am

You’re pure joy LL.

Tonight – we just finished:

Marinated lamb tenderloin strips, a very special paprika encrusted macaroni & assiaggo/parmesan pasta + green peas in an heirloom tomato sauce + a scrumptious Pacific NW cabs/merlot glass or 2 :)

#PRESSON

• 152 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        January 27, 2012 at 2:05 am

P.S. Yes, I cook for my dear artist wife :)

• January 27, 2012 at 2:20 am

Bobfr, I am going to invade your homes in a minutes, if you two do not stop. I love lamb!!!! I can eat an entire rack. Yes, I said that. Oh, my goodness, you all are killing me tonight. However, I love it when we can do this. It is relaxing to read and to know that we are all here as a great family and still able to carry on with our families at home. I love that so much about this place.

Thanks our beloved Chips, and thank you LL and Bobfr, and Donna as well. The menu family, we are as well. Like our President who loves to cook and knows how to cook, even though he does not have to worry about that for now.

No, Mr. President and First Lady, we will allow the great chefs take great care of that. You keep running the country, and we will help you do that. Good Night TOD Family,, if some are still up. HZ

January 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm
    • 155 Lorraine
      January 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Amen Congresswoman Wasserman Schultz! AMEN!! Jimmy Williams was just on The Ed Show and said Romney just lied and lied and lied!!!! This is the problem with Romney, atleast with Newton Leroy we know where he is coming from but Romney a liar will do anything, I do mean anything. A liar won’t tarry in His sight, a liar is the most thing to be.

• January 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm

He lied when he said PBO was cutting medicare and it was costing billions of dollars. Lies just roll off the tonuges of these clowns so easily. He is pandering to the seniors in Florida. I hope his tax returns and those offshore accounts continue to haunt him. Newt will be meaner tomorrow because he did not get the resonse from the debate that he was expecting tonight.

January 26, 2012 at 11:45 pm

And Romney call his self a religious man. They all do, but yet when they talk about President Obama they just lie, lie, lie.

• January 27, 2012 at 2:04 am

It does seems like they all forget those scriptures that they claim they so faithfully believe in that comes from their worn Bibles. I wonder why and how they so quickly forget those Commandments, like: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.” Just asking.HZ

23. January 26, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Chips, there are no words for me to say how much I love and appreciate all you do for us. You are totally amazing. A million, billion thanks. And, many thanks to all the smart people here who keep me informed.

24. January 26, 2012 at 11:33 pm

CNN and Robney sitting in a Tree, kissing, first comes love, then cones marriage, then cones Robney in second place.

25. 162 susanne
    January 26, 2012 at 11:41 pm

okay, my husband and i were just cooking dinner, and he said, ‘ya know, romney and gingrich are both rich, but newt actually looks like dough.’ yes, there was wine involved.

January 26, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I will try to think good thoughts for the rest of the night, not thoughts of my utter dislike of people like Jan Brewer, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, and Rick Santorum, among others.

Ha! Not gonna let them get to me anymore – at least tonight!

Sweet dreams, all!

January 26, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Night, all. Been a day:) See everyone tomorrow…IT’S FRIDAY!

28. January 26, 2012 at 11:46 pm

That romulus, MI pic looks like a movie still.

29. January 26, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Bill Daley last day is Friday.

30. 175 carolyn
    January 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Maybe this Jan Brewer meanness has awakened people to the disrespect acorded our precious President these last three years. Bob Schieffer’s commentary was excellent. I too, like Goldie Taylor, and many of you, have noticed that many of the so called pundits just call the president Obama, not President Obama. I am disgusted with that, and think we should write whenever we hear one of those people doing that. I have, but I can’t remember who I wrote to. No matter, we all need to write many times.
    Obviously, we do get under their skin. He IS the president, and deserves the respect just by being President. I am so old, I was brought up to call all adults Mr. X, Miss X or Mrs X…never by their first names. Relatives always were acccorded the honorific…aunt, uncle, etc. I certainly would not call him Barack, as many presume to do.
    However, to me he incarnates the Presidency. I honestly canNOT imagine anyone else being president, ever, and I’ve never felt that way before. I could always envision someone else in the office, even if I liked the person okay. But with President Obama…NO, noone else should be in that office.
    Rev. Al and Joe Madison had quite a discussion about how their mothers and grandmothers told them NEVER to shake a finger in anyone’s face, that was the height of rudeness. They are right. I see an awful lot of rudeness in public life today.

• January 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hopefully schieffer remembers what he said today and treats the president with respect when he has him on his show.

• 179 Pamela
      January 27, 2012 at 12:05 am

” to me he incarnates the Presidency”, oh, Carolyn, you are so so exquisitely verbalizing my thoughts and feelings too. All evening I have been thinking there is simply no one I can possibly imagine in the WH, in the office of POTUS, now that we have seen Barack Obama take it to a whole new level. I am old(er), too, and I loathe the idea of turning this country, or even this planet, back into the power of a bunch of rich white selfish assholes. (sorry to swear, but Carolyn really moved the spirit with her post! )

31. January 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm

FLOTUS fundraisers today-

About 250 guests are expected at a home in Sarasota with Florida supporters. Tickets begin at $500 and run up to $15,000. The $15,000 donor gets a VIP host committee reception, a photo and tickets for two for the general reception.
    About 140 are expected in Palm Beach.Tickets begin at $500 and go up to $25,000.

32. January 27, 2012 at 12:00 am

Really really love this interview. There’s an airl of confidence about him that I didn’t see for most of 2011. i watched it twice and it made me feel very good about the election. The only doubts I ever have are due to the economy or the war or other stuff that we can’t predict – It’s never about the Republicans, because is his heart in it 100%, none of them can even touch him.

• 183 halo
      January 27, 2012 at 12:05 am

Greece and Israel/Iran are the X-factors. I have to restrain myself from shaking people when they go into “He hasn’t really done anything.” I just want to yell at these so-called “independents.” There were some more quotes today in my local paper about how indepenedts din’t think PBO was working together with Republicans. these are the idiots we’re dealing with. It’s up to us to change it.

• January 27, 2012 at 12:22 am

I thought this interview was striking too BWD, he seemed way more relaxed and confident than he sometimes appeared in interviews the past few months – and I don’t think that had anything to do with DS being the interviewer. I just reckon he knows he has a winning narrative and direction that is resonating with people and reminding anyone who was disillusioned why they believed in him in the first place. He’s at ease now, at times before he seemed frustrated to me, but he’s relishing this battle because he knows the direction – and how he and the administration are articulating it – is right. I’m not saying it’ll be plain sailing, of course it won’t (those unemployment figures need to keep ticking down), but things are looking so much better than a couple of months ago.

Gotta go sleep, see you all tomorrow.

• January 27, 2012 at 12:36 am

Totally agree. I also think that in a way he feels liberated by knowing that he can’t get anything done through Congress this year and he wouldn’t have to deal with thos jerks, so he can fly solo and just be Barack Obama.

• 186 Pamela
        January 27, 2012 at 12:39 am

It’s because he sang to us last week, and now he knows we know he knows! That love song took it right over the top! 4 million hits…. and counting …

• 187 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
          January 27, 2012 at 2:09 am

Pamela, you are correct. That few seconds will be recounted in the history of our great Republic in the same paragraph as ‘one if by land, two if by sea’ & ‘four score and seven years ago’ – zero hype in that statement.

• 188 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        January 27, 2012 at 2:07 am

Simply, yes.

33. January 27, 2012 at 12:05 am

I still can’t get over how nice PBO sounds speaking in different languages, even if it’s just the basics, or when he tries another countries ‘slang’ or way of speaking… like in Australia. He’s such a natural and he sounds soooooooooo……..*wipes forehead WHEWWW*…………GOOD!!!! :oops:

• 190 Pamela
      January 27, 2012 at 12:08 am

Did you just say AUSTRALIA, oh, NZ4OBAMA, there in The Land of the Long White Cloud? (hint hint, chips, it’s only 9:00 on the west coast)

• January 27, 2012 at 4:41 am

:lol: Hi Pamela… Yup I sure am from there :) I loved when he did his ‘Gidday mate’ it was cool to hear him say that lol From Hawaiian to Spanish to Australian.. he just sounds so good! Comes so naturally to him.. I love his cultural awareness for all countries and the fact he makes an effort to learn. What an awesome President

34. January 27, 2012 at 12:06 am

I actually use most of my tweets telling the media about disrespecting this president. The only one who answered was Richard Wolffe. He apologized for his slip up and promised not to do it again. I just sent Sawyer a tweet about carrying repug water! When Fineman brought it up the other night on Chris Matthews I reminded him that both he and Chris are quilty and I was tired of their disrespect.

• January 27, 2012 at 4:45 am

Wow, its good that Richard Wolffe responded back to your concerns and not ignore them like many others do. He should know better since he has written 2 books on President Obama and has had opportunities to get some hoop time with him too! Glad you corrected him :)

• 194 utaustinliberal
      January 27, 2012 at 8:36 am

That was very polite of him. I’ve always noticed that he’s used President Obama and whenever he slips up, he says oh I’m sorrry and then he corrects his mistake. I know he’s written two very good books about PBO and seems to genuinely respect him, plus he’s whiplash smart and knows politics and the political landscape like the back of his hand. I love listening to his analysis.
      Good for him!

35. 195 Pamela
    January 27, 2012 at 12:35 am

Night night, everyone, thank you, blessed dreams to all!

36. January 27, 2012 at 12:49 am

I’m looking at the rethug’s ‘field’ now – two also-rans of 2008, one impeached speaker from nineties and an also-ran senator of 2006, who got walloped by his own state by 18 points. So why do the msm punks think Obama has a tough fight on his hands ?

37. January 27, 2012 at 12:51 am

congrats chip$. You’re mean one money machine. :)

38. 198 isonprize
    January 27, 2012 at 1:06 am

TEACHERS MATTER!!! Go Sara Ferguson!! I don’t even know you and I am proud of you!!!

First Lady’s Box at the 2012 State of the Union

39. 202 FiredUpInCA
    January 27, 2012 at 2:09 am

Thanks for keeping on them smiling18dy. Newt does it as a form of language control. It’s deliberate. The others need to check themselves so that they’re not unwittingly giving assent to the deliberate disrespect coming from others.

40. 203 susanne
    January 27, 2012 at 4:02 am

nighty night tod ohana!

41. January 27, 2012 at 4:49 am

Had a rough day today. Now I’ve been here for at least 3 hours, getting caught up, and I’m feeling much better.
    Chips, If you see Canuck Joyce, can you ask her to email me? We both live in Vancouver; PBO will be in Seattle. i think, in Feb. Thought her and I might be able to dtive down there together. You have my permission to give her my email address. Jacki O’Boomer, I think, would give me a reference. Thanks so much!

42. 208 Diane
    January 27, 2012 at 4:58 am

“This is what change looks like.” How many times have I heard my President and fellow TODers say that? I am not the sharpest tool in the box, but I finally get it. Let me explain–I got my Obama car magnet for my car in the mail this week and after the SOTU I put it on my car. Last night I went to the grocery store. When I came out I discovered that someone had keyed my car door so bad that it looked as if my car had been in an accident. In 2008 I bought a car magnet, but never put it on my car for this very reason. I live in one of the reddest areas in Georgia (a very red state).

I was pretty pissed off and thinking a lot less of my fellow man, and then proceeded to go get gas. As I stood there pumping gas feeling a lot of anger, I noticed the guy beside beside me gassing up his car. He looked like the kind of redneck who would key a car. So I am standing there pumping my gas transferring a lot of hateful thoughts towards this guy when I notice that he is playing peek-a-boo through the back window of his car with his baby in the back car seat.

In that instant I thought of FLOTUS telling the story of when PBO drove she and Sashia home from the hospital. It was such a tender story of a Dad, and this guy epitomized this same Daddy love. I realized that I can’t change others, but I can change ME. If my President can walk away from a nutcase pointing her finger in his face (disrespecting him to his face), then surely I can walk away from someone who has disrespected my political choice in such an ignorant way. Whoever keyed my car can’t stop me from voting, or loading up that car with other folks to take them to vote too. As PBO said in 2008–I am the change I have been waiting for. Your ignorance can’t make me hate!

43. 216 Diana
    January 27, 2012 at 5:17 am

Secret Service better take damn good care of him!!!!!

• 217 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      January 27, 2012 at 7:38 am

DITTO FROM HERE…KEEP THE SS EAGLE EYES ON OUR PRESIDENT! AND AN EXTRA EYE ON THE REPUBLICANS! WATCH HIS BACK!

44. 219 Elly in Maryland
    January 27, 2012 at 7:32 am

Great to see the students at my alma mater lining up to see the President, and to hear that my home state of Michigan is coming to its senses. If one state in the union should give President Obama an overwhelming YES vote it’s Michigan. They owe everything to him.

About the youth vote – I really feel there’s a whole group out there that has come of voting age and is relishing getting in on the action they were too young for 4 years ago.

45. 222 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 27, 2012 at 7:35 am

I AM SO GLAD I GET TO HEAR PBO THIS MORNING BEFORE I LEAVE. MY NEPHEW IS IN THE AIR FORCE. HE’S COMING TO HAVE LUNCH WITH ME! 2 GREAT GIFTS THIS MORNING! I’M ALSO GLAD PBO HEADS BACK TO DC LATER TODAY…TIME TO RELAX W/ FAMILY. HE’S DOING AN AWESOME JOB ON THE TRAIL…EVERYONE LOVES HIM AND WHY NOT? I SAY!…:)

46. January 27, 2012 at 7:42 am

Great article on Politico: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72064.html

GOP Makes Obama Look Good.
    The media say the debates have been the most critical factor in the nominating race so far because the media have been forced to watch them all. And take notes. And write stories.
    And we want someone to share our pain: Someone like you.

Good to know that PBO is in Michigan – wish I could see him!

47. January 27, 2012 at 7:56 am

Though Mitt Romney made his reputation as a private equity investor, his tax returns show the presidential candidate has a large portion of his wealth in an even more aggressive corner of the investment world: hedge funds.

A Globe examination of Romney’s taxes and a prior financial disclosure shows that about one-third of the assets in his Individual Retirement Account are in hedge funds, predominantly those run by his former firm, Bain Capital in Boston. Romney’s IRA could be as large as $101 million, according to his financial disclosure form, although he is not required to provide the exact amount. Of the 25 investments in that retirement account, 11 are Bain hedge funds.

Separately, a trust established in the name of Romney’s wife, Ann, has about $6 million of its $40 million in assets, or 15 percent, in hedge funds.

48. January 27, 2012 at 7:58 am

Republican presidential candidates Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney spar last night during a debate in Jacksonville, Fla.

By Glen Johnson Globe Staff

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. – Mitt Romney last night attacked Newt Gingrich’s record and credibility for the second consecutive debate, aiming to win the Florida primary and the Republican presidential nomination.

But in the process, he fudged elements of his own record that undercut his own credibility and fueled the type of criticism that may cost him the general election if not the nomination.

49. January 27, 2012 at 8:01 am

New quinnipiac poll in Florida has Robney up 9 on Gingrich.
    They both have glass jaws!

50. January 27, 2012 at 8:10 am

What the flock is wrong with Michigan? You would think that state would be 100% for our President. I will never understand people.

51. January 27, 2012 at 8:12 am

Good morning TOD Family. I am posting the candle link for those who wish to light one for our President.

52. January 27, 2012 at 8:15 am

By Josiah Ryan – 01/26/12 05:07 PM ET
    The Senate followed the House on Thursday afternoon in approving legislation to fund the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) with airport taxes through Feb. 17, a move that is meant to extend short-term funding just one last time before a long-term funding deal is reached next month.

The Senate’s unanimous consent passage of the FAA bill means the legislation now goes the White House for a signature.

53. January 27, 2012 at 8:17 am

Democratic leaders are embracing a new strategy for tax reform that leans on President Obama’s State of the Union call for tax fairness and economic equality.

The new strategy diverges from the 1986 formula, the last time Washington successfully tackled tax reform, and focuses on raising tax revenue from the wealthiest taxpayers and businesses that funnel jobs offshore.

“Tax reform after the president’s speech now has a different definition,” Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday.

54. January 27, 2012 at 8:21 am
    January 27, 2012 at 8:40 am

Here’s a copy of the actual letter from Cryptkeeper Brewer. She lies in there AGAIN! The budget here IS NOT balanced (accounting tricks) and drastic cuts to education and healthcare. So if it SHOWS it’s balanced, it was done by throwing people off the healthcare rolls, and gutting ALL education, elementary through college.
    She writes like a 3rd grader. Why am I NOT surprised? Notice all the “digs” in there??? I detest this ignorant, stupid woman.

January 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

How rude of ME! Good morning, Chips and TOD family:) It’s because I ran out of coffee. I’m NOT myself:)

57. January 27, 2012 at 9:01 am

Economy grows 2.8 percent
    1/27/12 8:40 AM EST
    Per the AP, the U.S. economy grew 2.8 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011, with increases in consumers spent and business inventory.

January 27, 2012 at 9:18 am

Greag Sargant: Dems to press GOP with new strategy on taxes: Keep an eye on this one: Senate Democrats plan to pivot off Obama’s speech this week to launch a new push for tax reform, with raising revenues from the rich and from corporations that offshore at its center.

Messaging chief Chuck Schumer: “Republicans will not go along out of a desire to cooperate, but they may find they have to out of political necessity.”

January 27, 2012 at 9:19 am

Poll finds Americans want a Dem Congress: The Dem imperative of tying the nominee to the GOP Congress becomes even clearer in light of NBC/WSJ’s new poll, which finds that Americans want a Dem Congress over a GOP one by six points, 47-41.

Let’s make it so!!! (from Sargant)

60. 254 halo
    January 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH TOM DONILON”S INTERVIEW ON CHARLIE ROSE WHEN IT COMES ONLINE! IT WAS FANTASTIC!

January 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

Economy SOARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The U.S. economy grew at its fastest pace in more than a year and a half in the final three months of 2011, signaling a sturdier recovery took hold despite troubles in other parts of the world.

The nation’s gross domestic product — the value of all goods and services produced — grew at an annual rate of 2.8% between October and December, the Commerce Department said Friday. That is up from 1.8% growth in the third quarter and 1.3% in the second quarter. It was the fastest pace since the second quarter of 2010.

January 27, 2012 at 9:40 am

Nice little write up…http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/26/paul-begala-mitt-romney-shows-his-many-faults-in-the-jacksonville-debate.html

Chips, when you get to the part where Newt talks about sex in space (you know…on the moon:) You might do just as Paul Begala mentioned….throw up a little (COFFEE) in your mouth. Love you, Chips :) My coffee’s coming..I can smell it with my nose!

63. 257 lovingandlaughing
    January 27, 2012 at 9:56 am

Chips, since you posted the “let’s stay together” clip again i decided to watch it again…um twice! i just had to hit repeat! i was still squirming/cheering like school girl, it is even better than i knew it to be the last time i watched it!