Jan

rise and shine

Bloomberg: From northern Michigan’s iron mines to Pennsylvania’s natural-gas fields, the industrial heartland of America is humming with jobs again as a region once left for dead recovers faster than the rest of the U.S. ….. The economies of Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania have improved faster than that of the U.S. since the recession’s depth in April 2009 …. Michigan is expected to lead all 50 states during the next six months….

…. from Detroit and Pittsburgh to Peoria, Illinois, and the town of Mellen in Wisconsin’s Penokee Hills, employers plan to add jobs and facilities ….  Improvement in unemployment, which dropped 19% in Ohio and 29% in Michigan from April 2009 through the end of last year, is a key driver for the Midwest recovery …. The recovery isn’t just about autos and shale – it’s all sorts of related industries, said Steve Steinour, Huntington Bancshares Inc.’s chief executive officer. “We’re seeing now a revival that no one had expected in this sort of time frame”…

…. Michigan gained 66,000 jobs in 2011 ….. It was the first gain in the state since the turn of the century….. “We’ve always heard this Rust Belt thing about our region, even just a few years ago,” said Steinour, speaking of the disparaging image of closed factories and declining industry. “But you don’t hear it so much now, and we might not have to hear it much in the future.”

Full article here

ABC: President Obama was expected to visit the Washington Auto Show on Tuesday, giving him another forum to talk about GM and Chrysler, along with the administration’s attention to manufacturers and efforts to boost fuel efficiency standards…..

More here

Link

Robert Shrum: …. lost in this year’s bloviating combat over the Reagan banner is another reality that will at first rile and finally infuriate Republicans as the opportunistic Romney runs and then stumbles toward a November showdown with Barack Obama. For on the evidence of history, it’s likely that Obama will be the Reagan of 2012.

The one is certainly not the ideological heir of the other. But this president is beginning to travel a path along an emerging political landscape that parallels Reagan’s in potentially decisive ways.

….. Obama, like Reagan before him, offers an overarching theme that resonates with the distinctive mood of his re-election year …. he has trumpeted his own overarching summons to an America “where everyone gets a fair shot, and everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules.” …. the narrative can be summed up – and the president has done so – in the “Buffet Rule”…. It connects as well to Mitt Romney …..  Romney is the face of the Republican establishment – and he’s becoming the face of unfairness in America ….

….. in the politics of 2012, Gingrich isn’t the Gipper, and Romney isn’t Ronnie. It’s the other guy, the Democrat who in 2008 presciently – and controversially – praised President Reagan for “chang[ing] the trajectory of America.” He did so amid the winds of an economic storm that finally and slowly cleared. So, in his own landmark achievements, has Barack Obama – and this election year, the trajectory is turning for him as it once did for Ronald Reagan.

Full article here

TPM (thanks Loriah)

Thanks rikyrah

Richard Cohen (Washington Post): On Saturday night, at precisely 9:19 and 30 seconds, my iPhone, my iPad, my computer and, for all I know, my toaster were informed that Herman Cain had endorsed Newt Gingrich ….. it was just additional evidence that the Republican Party has become a circus: One clown endorsed another.

…..  This has been an exceedingly silly political season … But it has also been a sad one. The Republican establishment acts as if this season’s goon squad of presidential candidates has come out of nowhere, an act of God …. it has only itself to blame. For too long it has been mute in the face of a belligerent anti-intellectualism, pretending that knowledge and experience do not matter and that Washington is a condition and not a mere city. The endorsement of Gingrich by Cain was not a bulletin. It was a feeble blip on a scope. The GOP is brain-dead.

Full article here

That’s the person, not the continent :???:

Morning everyone ;-)

345 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. January 31, 2012 at 8:34 am

Am I first? A birthday present for moi?

Have a good day all. I am off to work. Won’t be able to see TOD until after work.

2. 38 TrumpDog
    January 31, 2012 at 8:35 am

Weee I’m 3

3. 39 Lorraine
    January 31, 2012 at 8:39 am

Shrumie is on his game as usual.

4. 40 TrumpDog
    January 31, 2012 at 8:40 am

I guess we’ll see the right wing nuts complaining because Pres. Obama will be at the Washington Auto Show. They’ll say he’s campaigning.
    Anytime he opens his mouth, they accuse him of campaigning.
    They are so scared of him because they know how effective he is. Go Obama!

5. 44 Alycée (@jazziz2)
    January 31, 2012 at 8:44 am

Good morning TOD!

In respone to Xtine’s Inauguration question :

The biggest quirk is that most federal employees in the Washington area are given the day off every four years on Inauguration Day to make way for the revelers in town for the inaugural parade and balls.

Though the 20th Amendment states that a president’s term ends at “noon on the 20th day of January,” Jan. 20, 2013 is a Sunday. Whenever federal holidays fall on a Sunday, the government moves them to Monday, meaning that whoever is inaugurated next year is likely to be sworn in twice — once privately on the 20th and again in public on the 21st.

Whoever wins the presidency this year is likely to follow swearing-in precedent set by Ronald Reagan and Dwight D. Eisenhower. Reagan took the oath of office for the second time privately on Sunday Jan. 20, 1985, and during a public (indoor) ceremony the next day. Eisenhower took the oath again during a private White House ceremony on Sunday Jan. 20, 1957, and repeated it publicly on the East Portico of the Capitol on Monday Jan. 21. (For those of you keeping score, this Monday-to-Sunday fluke occurs every 28 years, so it will happen again in 2041, 2069 and 2097.)

So will federal workers in the Washington area still get Inauguration Day off next year? Yes and no.

Mon. Jan. 21 is also Martin Luther King Jr. Day — a federal holiday enjoyed by all federal employees — meaning that D.C. area workers will be out of the office, but not because of the inauguration, according to OPM.

More ——–> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/when-are-the-2012-federal-holidays-and-looking-ahead-to-2013/2011/12/30/gIQAC4znWP_blog.html

• 45 isonprize
      January 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

Alycee,

Just checking. It still doesn’t confirm whether Inauguration Day will be Monday, Jan 21, 2013 (Which is also Martin Luther King Day) or Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013, right?

Pres. Obama will take the oath privately on Sunday Jan 20, 2013, I think it would be the absolute coolest thing for Pres. Barack Obama to be publicly sworn in on Martin Luther King day!!!

• 46 Alycée (@jazziz2)
        January 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

He’ll take oath privately on Sunday, January 20th, and public ceremony will be Monday, January 21st.

• 47 JoJothecat
          January 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

Wow, then there will be three time the people there because so many other government,banks,students,will be off that day. I am gonna start getting my tickets now.

• January 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

Enlighten my darkness, JoJo, what tickets? Isn’t the public Inauguration an open thing? I’m seriously planning to come to town for the Inaug. so need all pertinent information as it becomes available. I’m not planning on being out in the cold, but I do want to know the little pieces that are involved in order to make the right decisions. VC.

• January 31, 2012 at 11:46 am

I’m going to be there too, come hell or highwater I won’t be missing this second opportunity to see our POTUS sworn in.. I want to be in that crowd.. and I want my grandchildren there with me.

• 50 xtine
      January 31, 2012 at 11:21 am

Thanks again, Alycee. Left you a response in previous thread. I think the date hasn’t been determined yet. OPM site states: “In addition, employees for whom January 21, 2013, is the legal public holiday for the Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., are not entitled to an in-lieu-of holiday for Inauguration Day if the day selected for the public observance of the inauguration of the President is January 21, 2013.”

Note: “if the day selected.”

6. 51 Alycée (@jazziz2)
    January 31, 2012 at 8:48 am

Kasai, your work is BEAUTIFUL! It makes my heart sing and smile!

7. January 31, 2012 at 8:53 am

Game Change movie coming out this Spring is going to be mostly about Sarah Palin. I am actually looking forward to it. I wonder who will portray Obama?

8. January 31, 2012 at 8:53 am

GOP weighs contempt charges against WH over Solyndra.

I guess they never heard how many times GW used executive privilege during the Valerie plaime investigation.

They got nothing, but this will get headlines.

• 57 halo
      January 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

WHERE’S THE BEEF? MEANWHILE GOPOLITICO TRYING TO TAKE DOWN PBO. IVE NEVER SEEN A PRESIDENT SO MICROEXAMINED.

9. 58 donna dem 4 obama
    January 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

Happy Birthday Africa.

Hope you are feeling better today!

10. 59 donna dem 4 obama
    January 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

Good Morning TOD

Excellent Rise and Shine Chips

Tweeted, Facebooked and shared everywhere!

11. January 31, 2012 at 8:56 am

Obama’s auto bailout increases his chance that he will win both Michigan and Ohio. If Obama wins Kerry’s states and Ohio, Obama wins re-election.

12. January 31, 2012 at 8:56 am

13. January 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

If the Midwesterners who vote Republican want to see their livelihood go back on life support than by all means vote Republican again.

• 65 halo
      January 31, 2012 at 8:59 am

I CANT BELIEVE ALL THESE MIDWESTERNERS LET GOP GOVS RUN THEIR STATES AFTER ALL PBO HAS DONE FOR THEIR INDUSTRIES! GOP GOVS WILL TRY TO TAKE CREDIT FOR WHAT PBO DID!

• January 31, 2012 at 9:10 am

And it’s up to these people to understand that they would be living in 19th century boxes if the GOP had their way. Unfortunately many will take the lazy way out (i.e. grasping for anything that fits into their ideology) and swear up and down that it was those slash and burn cuts along with the trickle down lunacy which is bringing back the jobs.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

Halo, there’s a ton of great news out there today, let’s leave the negative spin to GOPolitico, etc. Facts are fine, RW spin not so much.

Updated: Comments undeleted – battle it out people.

• 68 halo
          January 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

I recognize this is your site, Chips, but I just disagree with that. Saying PBO publicly acknowledged US drone strikes in Pakistan when official US policy is to not say it publicly is simply a fact. We shouldn’t run away from it just because of that. Nobody has ever said this publicly and so, I think it’s significant. It just is what it is. Pakistan lets us fly drones while turning a blind eye and condemning them to their citizens. We’ve never actually had someone say openly bc we recognize the sensitivity of the situation, let alone someone as high ranking as PBO. That’s my piece.

Today’s auto show indeed will be filled with good news. ALSO, U.S. Auto Sales Seen Surging 6% in January.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:28 am

Okay Halo, that’s fine, I was probably too quick to react. I just had a slight WTF moment when I saw all your comments about the drones issue AND Keystone (“WATCH OUT FOR THIS ONE! WE ARE VULNERABLE!”). I thought I’d accidentally clicked on Politico. ;-)

• 70 halo
              January 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for understanding Chips. Wasn’t freaking out or anything. Just wanted to let people know about Keystone because the GOP are going to try to tie it to the highway bill which has lots of jobs attached to it. They will attack and we should be ready with a strong response. Nothing wrong with looking around corners and being prepared!

Anyway, you’re amazing, as always.

• 71 57andFemale
                January 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I’m with you on this, Halo. Part of being positive is being forewarned and ready to do battle. There will be issues on which the President and Dem’s will be vulnerable. To discuss it and plan how to fight it is, for me, the definition of being ‘positive’.

I don’t know where the line is in these discussions. I know I am doing a lot of self-censoring, a lot more of late for fear of pushback. The niche feels smaller to me than it did in the past, but I respect Chips and what she wants to see and promote on her site. God knows I couldn’t do 1/1000th of what she does and I defer to anything and everything she wants this site to be. I do, however, think there is a difference between a haven and a bubble and I want us to be as effective as possible to get the President reelected and more and better Democrats in Congress.

January 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I’ll just make one quick comment, since I don’t know the context.

If President Obama says something publicly, then it’s US policy to say it. He sets the policy, from whatever point in time he chooses. That’s why we elected him. He can change international relations within his purview, at any time.

If he mentions an incident, it’s also for a specific purpose – there’s no slip of the tongue here. (I personally don’t believe that Pakistan is surprised by anything he’s doing.)

• 73 susanne
              January 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm

agreed. he’s the commander in chief, the head of the party, and the smartest guy in the room. if he mentions drones, it’s because he has a purpose. if he goes to a car show, looks incredibly sharp and sexy and interesting, and coincidentally reminds us how he saved the auto industry, while the repugs disgust voters in florida, that’s purposeful, too. he’s the leader, and we can trust him all the way.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thanks for your editing, Chips, especially when there is so much to feel encouraged about. Haters will always hate, just as concern trollers (aka the MSM) will always be trolling.

14. January 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

Senate is voting on the STOCK act today and the House will be voting on repealing the CLASS act and making English our official language.

The House has a bunch of Jerks!

15. January 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

• January 31, 2012 at 9:13 am

It’s so obvious.He doesn’t even try to hide it. To Romney asking the rich to pay their fair share is a declaration of war. He hates the working class imo.

• 78 Mel
        January 31, 2012 at 10:56 am

But, But 65% approve the Buffett rule, and I would like to see if any Republicans vote against the bill.
        WE have the numbers on our side and so is The President.

16. 80 rikyrah
    January 31, 2012 at 9:00 am

Chips,

I really would like for this video to go viral. A young woman; a teenager, did this tribute to our First Lady and what she means to her.

if you ask me, videos like this are another reason the right-wing absolutely despise our President and First Lady

• January 31, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’ve just seen the first few minutes so far rikyrah, but it’s beautiful! Just added it to the post – thank you so much.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

Rikyrah,

Can’t believe I just watched this at 9:00 this morning but I did and loved every moment! Thanks for sharing as I will also share. :)

• January 31, 2012 at 11:18 am

Why, this was just wonderful! This young woman is so insightful, articulate and her writing is clear and well-organized. I hope Mrs Obama will get to see this; it is powerful and quite a tribute. Thank you for bringing this here, rikyrah, and thank you, Chips, for highlighting it.

And Happy Birthday, Africa!

And mesmerizing, beautifully evocative artwork, Kasai.

Thank you all for rallying so supportively around our president, and helping me to find a positive political haven.

• January 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Well *that* young lady is going to go far in this world. That was brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

17. January 31, 2012 at 9:01 am

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar is getting closer to unveiling long-planned draft rules to impose new requirements on the natural gas drilling method called hydraulic fracturing, a proposal that President Obama highlighted in his State of the Union speech.

Salazar told reporters Monday that more information would surface in “several weeks” about the proposed regulations, which will cover hydraulic fracturing – dubbed “fracking” – on public lands under Interior jurisdiction.

Interior has been consulting with Native American tribes on the upcoming proposal, and Interior employees in the field have reviewed the proposed rules, he said. The rules will require companies to disclose chemicals used in the fracking process.

18. 88 halo
    January 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

“Also: A large majority (64 percent) favors the Keystone XL pipeline, suggesting that Obama and Dems need to do a far better job of explaining their position to the public.”

WATCH OUT FOR THIS ONE! WE ARE VULNERABLE!

• 89 Mel
      January 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

The 64 % who favor the keystone they all are Republicans if this is the case I. am sure PBO would
      have gaone along with it, but this is NOT the case.

• January 31, 2012 at 2:43 pm

If the President was in favor of it, a large percentage of that 64% would be opposed to it. I wonder if any of those 64% could actually and accurately explain what the pipeline deal is all about, how much oil it will actually mean for the US, what the environmental risks are for the tar sands extraction as well as the transport and refinement, what route it’s supposed to take across the country and how many actual jobs it will mean IN THE USA.

Given that the pundits are saying that the election is all about the economy this year, why do these 64% think the President would deny himself the number of jobs that are being touted by the GOP? Wouldn’t that be a win-win for President Obama?

Some people want to be spoon-fed, or they just aren’t interested in learning the real information. They’ve already made up their minds.

19. 91 mtmarilyn
    January 31, 2012 at 9:03 am

Good morning Chips and wonderful people at TODville!

Happy Birthday Africa! Have a beautiful day.

20. 92 ChristiMTL
    January 31, 2012 at 9:04 am

I just listened to Willard Romney singing ”America the beautiful”……..I don’t even know what to say……is there anything he won’t do to copy President Obama?….wow….it was painful ……

• January 31, 2012 at 9:08 am

I have no intention of watching that.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

Was he sweating? The man sweats perpetually.

• 95 collegekay
      January 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

I watched it too. Truly sad. Not even his supporters were into it. #MajorFAIL

• 96 Cindy Sweatt
      January 31, 2012 at 10:23 am

I think his intention was to look good. He sucked so bad it came across as someone making fun of the National Anthem. It’s like someone doing a comedy sketch of a politician.

January 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

It was like the time Roseanne tried to sing it at a game. Only worse, since he doesn’t know how badly he sings.

Stick to what you do best, Romney. I have no idea what that is, but find it and stick to it.

• 98 57andFemale
      January 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm

It was painful. Now, it is not our national anthem, but he stood there with a mic in one hand and his other hand stuck in hisj eans pocket. If PBO had done that Fox would be OUTRAGED at his lack of respect, yada yada.

By the way, LOD DESTROYED Mittens last night.

21. January 31, 2012 at 9:06 am

Last night Jennifer Granholm asked Robert Gibbs what he drives?
    He said a Volt.
    Then Jennifer said, so do I.

22. 103 carolyn
    January 31, 2012 at 9:09 am

Regarding the envy of the Republicans, there is a line from Othello which describes what is going on. Iago, Othello’s subordinate, has such powerful envy and jealousy he can hardly live. He tries to convince Othello that his wife, Desdemona, is having an affair with Cassio, one of Othello’s officers. Iago’s feelings and reasons are well summed up in his statement: “He (Cassio) hath a daily beauty in him which doth make me ugly.” That was not just physical beauty, but inner beauty, that Iago could not tolerate. This, I think, is what drives the Republicans, but of course they cannot admit it.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

Well stated, Carolyn. One of the great pleasures of TOD is the depth of knowledge and intelligence that people offer in their comments and yours is a shining example. How many people on right wing sites have the insight to use an analogy to Othello to make a point? Iago’s was also consumed with envy for Othello who had power and the love of a beautiful woman. Iago hated him for that and also despised him for his color. Sound familiar?

• January 31, 2012 at 9:27 am

carolyn that is so true. Othello is one of my favorite plays and collectively the republicans are so like Iago – blinded by their envy and driven by hate. PBO is such a beautiful man, inside and out and they can not bear the fact that sane and sensible people can see and appreciate that beauty. This does indeed make them small and ugly characters.

• 107 Cindy Sweatt
      January 31, 2012 at 10:26 am

Boy, Carolyn, you said it exactly. Thank you.

• January 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

THAT is so aptly said, Carolyn, and so literally true of PBO & his detractors. I’m going to share the quote on Twitter.

23. January 31, 2012 at 9:10 am

• January 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

Of course, gobrooklyn, this doesn’t fit into their narrative that they were put into the majority to take the president down, so they will ignore it and keep hammering away at him to make sure that the job creation momentum is slowed down. They’re so blinded by their hatred of PBO that they don’t see the seeds of their own destruction in what they sow everyday.

24. January 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

What is the purpose to have Debbie Wasserman Schultz on your show, if you will not allow her to speak?
    She has to speak over People, in order to get a word in edge wise.

25. January 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

26. January 31, 2012 at 9:14 am

Lots of good information this morning. Richard Cohen hasn’t said anything sensible in years, so I guess he was due for a turn. I hope and pray that every word of Robert Shrum’s article is prophetic. Today we will hear a lot of endless bleating about Romney and will have to listen to his over-the-top bragging for the rest of the week. God help us all.

• 116 Dudette
      January 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Unfortunately his seat isn’t up for re-election this year, but you’re right. He needs to go.

• January 31, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Then lets aim for the next best thing. Watching him blubber like a baby as The President wins a second term and The Dems reclaim the House plus get a filibuster proof majority in the Senate.

27. January 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

Has FL voting started yet ?

28. January 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

• January 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

Also says wouldn’t vote out running as a Dem in the future. A Dem what, I don’t know.

• 127 TrumpDog
        January 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

Meeks should have dropped out of the race. Maybe that would not have split votes the way it did and FL wouldn’t have the teabag Rubio as Senator.
        I think Crist is an opportunist switching parties the way he did but he was somewhat moderate, not nucking futs.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:47 am

THIS!!! I was so pissed off by just how dumb and self-centered Meeks was, thinking about himself and not us. he should have gotten out of the race. Instead, we have that good for nothing toolbag, Rubio.

• 129 Debz
          January 31, 2012 at 10:47 am

Being the last Governor of Florida, I think Christ should get out in public more often. He’s a good reminder to the voters of what a terrible mistake they made voting for Scott.

• 130 Mel
          January 31, 2012 at 11:13 am

I thought so too TrumpDog at the time Meeks was very dumb and selfish Meeks should have
          dropped out and meeks give us Marco Rubio Thanks a lot Meeks.

• January 31, 2012 at 11:26 am

YES, CONGRESS MEEKS SHOULD HAVE DROPPED OUT…MY FRIEND WHO LIVES IN THAT STATE SAID MEEKS WAS NOT WELL KNOWN STATE WIDE,BUT CHARLIE CRIST WAS…AND WAS CONSIDERED A PRETTY GOOD GOV. HE MAY HAVE WON THE SEAT INSTEAD OFF RUBIO. AND YES MR. CRIST WAS A MODERATE REPUB…NOT A FLAMING NUT!!!

January 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I still give Kendrick Meek credit for trying. If it had been another year (or he had better campaign advisers), he may have made it.

• January 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’ve got mixed feelings about that. Meeks got in it early and was the actual Democrat. I can’t blame him for that. Bowing out because of what Charlie Christ may or may not do isn’t his fault.

• January 31, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I always thought that the Democratic party should have stood behind Meeks, as the actual Democrat. Crist actually refused to commit to voting as a Dem, and said he reserved the right to vote as a GOP or Dem. He wasn’t loyal to any Democratic cause or principle, and he really just wanted to win. Meeks was a loyal Democrat, and it was upsetting to see people call for him to step aside for someone who had changed horses already, in order to win. Sooner or later, Dems would be complaining about how Crist had betrayed them, too, just like he promised to do.

• 135 Mae who love our CIC
          January 31, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I disagree, Crist should have not run as a independent. He should have waited. After all he lost the repub race. Meeks was the Democrat who rightfully stayed in the race.
          Crist thought that he was entitled to run.

January 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Charlie has been inching toward become a Dem for quite some time. This is a good beginning, at the start of 2012. I’m sure Joe Biden or Debbie W-S, or somebody else has been in touch with him, off and on.

January 31, 2012 at 9:20 am

The RNC wish they had a spokesperson like Debbie .W. Schultz. She was on Morning Joe and she decimated RNC Chair Reince Priebus for his disgusting statement about PBO being just like the Italian ship captain charged with manslaughter. She was phenomenal. Rep. Jack Kingston (R) of Georgia and Chris Matthews were on the panel and Debbie crushed every pathetic right wing talking point Kingston tried to bring up against PBO. Kingston said that Priebus was kind of wrong to use that analogy but his statement wasn’t meant with malicious intent and that PBO has indeed abandoned the economy. Debbie and lo and behold Mika came back at him and Priebus with guns blazing. Then Kingston who doesn’t know jack shit about the Floridian economy said PBO hasn’t done anything to positively impact the lives of Floridians. Debbie and Chris once again came at him guns blazing. They reminded him that when PBO took office, Florida’s unemployment was 15% and now its down to 9% so that’s an improvement. It’s not where PBO would ultimately like it to be, but it is a huge improvement. They also pointed out that when PBO took office, the DOW was at 6500 points and now it’s at 12,000 points and Floridians, especially older Floridian voters who watch the DOW very closely, know that it’s PBO who saved their bacon/retirement savings. They told Kingston that if it was a republican president who had saved the DOW, the GOP would be on a non-stop ticker tape parade and Kingston tried to deny it and down play the huge improvement of the DOW.

When asked about Romney’s new pandering statement to older Floridian voters; that he will never ever cut/reform Medicare and Social Security, Debbie cut Romney to the quick. She pointed out that he 100% embraced the Paul Ryan Medicare bill which would fundamentally change Medicare as we know it and that while Romney panders to the Medicare crowd, voters should know that he served on the board of a corporation accused of and charged with Medicare fraud.

Debbie was great! Just fantastic. Jack Kingston came to the adult table to try and play but was sent home with his tail between his legs. It was wonderful to watch. The viewing was made even sweeter because Joe Scarborough wasn’t there to ruin it with his priggishness.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:26 am

Debbie is awesome, but they don’t allow her to speak. However, she is not shy, that is for sure.
      Lol.

• 143 ChristiMTL
      January 31, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thanks for the recap UT….she is great indeed! I love her……….I had to check who was Jack Kingston on google image……oh yea, I know that guy, I see him way too often.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:27 am

Go DWS. Thanks ut for that great commentary. Loved reading every bit of it.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:29 am

She also got in a zinger about Robney Medicare fraud before Mika cut her off by saying, this is to easy!

• January 31, 2012 at 9:37 am

anyone have the video?

• 150 Ladyhawke
      January 31, 2012 at 9:47 am

ut, your updates are freaking awesome. I didn’t see the segment (I hope it will be posted eventually), but you make me feel like I was there on the panel. Thank you so much for this update. It makes me giddy to hear that THE FACTS GOT OUT THIS MORNING. What a pleasure to hear that the LIES were challenged and dismantled in real time on the tv. I am so proud of DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz. She doesn’t take any guff from nobody. The woman is fierce. She made the RNC Chair look petty and small like an ant.

As I said the other day, if a Democrats had said the same thing about President George W. Bush the outrage and indignation would have made the 24X7 coverage of Reverend Wright look tame. There would have been a chorus of Republicans demanding the resignation (forget about apology). The hypocrisy of the GOP knows no bounds.

• 151 JoJothecat
        January 31, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thank you UT for giving us the blow-by-blow of DWS beat down of that GOP troll on morning joke. I can’t stomach that show.

• 153 Obama Grandmama
      January 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Did Debbie straighten out the claim Obama cut $500 Billion from Medicare? I want that to be explained as I see it all over ads even in lower Dem races. I think it needs to be explained so older people get it.

30. January 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

LOL. Hit him lil ricky.

31. 155 halo
    January 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ok, I hate eto say it, but I think PBO stepped in it on this one: http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/30/obama-admits-to-pakistan-drone-strikes/

It’s one thing when it’s the “worst kept secret.” It’s another thing when the President confirms it publicly.

32. January 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

Go noot. Him willard on the nose..

33. 163 Bill
    January 31, 2012 at 9:28 am

Charlie Crist, former Republican Governor of FL and now an independent, has been interviewed a couple of times recently on MSNBC. He lost to Rubio in the 2008 three way Senate race. He said today he could support PBO for president and would not rule out running as a Democrat in the future. If the Republican party had not run him and similar people out their party the GOP would not be such a disaster.

34. January 31, 2012 at 9:32 am

Why ?He spoke the truth. Only the PL crowd will whine about it. Majority will agree with him.

• 165 halo
      January 31, 2012 at 9:42 am

Because that’s official US policy. That’s why.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:47 am

So, he openly stated the official policy. So, how did he ‘step in it’ ?

• 167 halo
          January 31, 2012 at 9:53 am

No the official policy is NOT to acknowledge it or confirm that we fly drones over Pakistan.

• January 31, 2012 at 9:57 am

Well then, he changed the ‘official’ policy. And he did it in public. So again, how did he step in it ?

• 169 halo
              January 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

Seriously, I’m trying to respectful here w/o rolling my eyes, but you can’t just justify everything PBO does, even if it’s a misstep, as some planned thing, especially to a random questioner on the internet about official AfPak policy in a Google forum. The national security establishment knows that was a misstep. It’s not trying to be negative. It’s just a fact. Will there be ripple effects? We don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not. But the fact is even Tom Donilon his top NSA wouldn’t talk about drones on Charlie Rose just last week. Nobody in any paper, on the record, ever, in either admnistration has confirmed US drone strikes in Pakistan. It’s just the deal we have with them. You can say it’s pretty dumb since everyone knows about it, but there are things the US does not acknoweldge. Drone strikes in Yemen is another one of those “secrets.” To say PBO planned to just change officla US policy it to a random perosn on the internet is pretty hard to believe. He’s a human being, not Superman.

Anyway, I just think it’s best we don’t engage each other bc I have trouble talking with you anytime I have an ounce of criticism or opinion about PBO. I assumed we could have a reasonable conversation, but your latest justification just doesn’t pass the laugh test. I love Chips and love her for providing such a wonderful forum for information about PBO and don’t want to sully it by getting into a pissing match. We just don’t get along too well. And I’ll leave it at that.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:27 am

yeah, I want to do the rolling eyes stuff also when people talk through their hats or concern troll with some bs.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:46 am

Ok, from what I have seen of President Obama over the years he doesn’t make gaffes that are substantial. Of course, there is a first time for everything. However, I’ll go with his past performances. If he said it, he meant to say it. I’m sure he or Carney will address it at some point. I don’t think it’s a hair-on-fire moment. The far-left have been against the drone strikes since day one. So obviously we’ve known about them. If he made a mistake, I’m sure he will admit to it. It usually does.

• January 31, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I think it really depends on how Pakistan reacts. At this point I don’t see it as anything significant considering all parties involved already knew what was going on. We’ll just have to wait and see. Not trying to jsutify anything but right now none of us knows whyat’s going on in the back channels.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

Pretty strange to deny this when every so often its reported that a target was taken out by a US drone.

• 174 collegekay
          January 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

Right, I don’t see the issue here.

35. January 31, 2012 at 9:32 am

*rikyrah* thank you so much for this video. It’s a nice reflection of Election night In 2008, wowwwwwwwww. Thanks again :-)

January 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

DWS IS ON FIRE!!! GO DEBBIE, GO!

Wasserman Schultz To Hold Event On Romney’s Ties To Medicare Fraud
    Tuesday morning, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz will hold an event at a Florida Senior Center highlighting Mitt Romney’s ties to Damon Corporation and Medicare fraud.

A little background: According to the DNC, Romney served on the board of Damon Corporation which was committing Medicare fraud by falsely billing Medicare for unnecessary blood tests. Bain Capital put $3.39 million into Damon and walked away with $7.4 million.

Tuesday’s event is scheduled for 9:45 a.m.

• 177 ChristiMTL
      January 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hey that’s good news!…..thanks for the link deserflower.

• 178 TrumpDog
      January 31, 2012 at 9:46 am

How will this affect Robney? Florida elected their governor, despite his Medicare fraud.
      Floridians seem ok with this type of behavior.

January 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

Wonder how many people actually KNEW that? Will have to ask my FL living, senior citizen, dad. THEY HATE SCOTT IN FL! I think they may have learned their lesson the hard way….this talk could perk up MORE ears, not fall on deaf ears:)

• January 31, 2012 at 11:51 am

we knew. I don’t watch the news and months and months before he was elected, there were ads everywhere about his involvement with medicare fraud. Repug electorate didn’t give a shit. They were mad at PBO and voted that numbskull in. The good thing is that the Tea Party fever has abated so hopefully, cooler heads will prevail this time.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

That is because Alex sink also ran avaunt the President instead of focusing on Rick Scott!

• January 31, 2012 at 11:47 am

YES MY FRIEND IN FLORIDA SAIID ALEX SINK RAN A LOSEY CAMPAIN…RAN AGAINST THE PRESIDENT INSTEAD OF AGAISNT SCOTT…AND SHE DIDNT GO INTO THE DIVERSE COMMUNITIES…SHE WAS TERRIBLE. SCOTT BOUGHT THAT ELECTION IN THE SAME FASHION MEG WHITTMAN” TRIED” TO BUY CALIFORNIAS ELECTION…ONLY WE CALI FOLKS WERENT BUYING WHAT SHE WAS SELLING….AND MOST IMPORTANTLY NO ONE RAN AGAINST THE PRESIDENT…ALLL DEMOCRATS WERE ROLLING SIDE BY SIDE WITH HIM WHEN HE CAME HERE TO CAMPAIGN!!!!

• January 31, 2012 at 10:03 am

She mentioned that on joes show.

She is the best dnc chairman we have ever had, and she connects on the grass roots level too.
      Love her!

37. January 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

Chuck Todd says their is an enthusiasm gap in the WH.

Really?

Prove it!

38. January 31, 2012 at 9:48 am

39. January 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

africa is a country, chips. ask tundra twit.

40. 194 CTGirl
    January 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

I am singing “Happy Birthday” to you in my Stevie Wonder voice :-). Enjoy your day Africa!

41. 195 Ladyhawke
    January 31, 2012 at 9:58 am

DID BAIN LOBBY FOR LOWER TAX RATES??

Rachel Maddow Slams Romney For Still Getting Paid For Killing Florida Jobs

======================

After she played the Stewart clip, Maddow continued, “The reason Mitt Romney pays only a mini tax on the money he made closing factories at Bain because Bain uses their share of the money they made closing factor is to lobby for executives to keep paying that rate. So yeah, poor people do have sucky lobbyists. On the eve of the Florida primary, Mitt Romney is getting paid for laying people off in Florida, but money from his campaign and from his Super PAC has bought a on the eve of the Florida primary, Mitt Romney has bought a whole lot of TV ads that make it look like he would be great for Florida.”

So either Florida Republicans are so desperate to beat Obama, that they are willing to vote for a man who made his money by laying off some of their fellow citizens, or they are some of the dumbest people walking the planet. Since certain residents of an entire state idiots, although they did elect Rick Scott, is a gross generalization, the answer must be that Florida Republicans are looking the other way because they want to believe that one of the Underwhelming Four men left standing in the Republican primary fight can beat President Obama.

======================

42. January 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

Millions of consumers like Patterson, who traded her 2001 model for a new Chevrolet Malibu, deferred purchases to replace older vehicles. With the average age of U.S. cars and trucks rising to a record 10.8 years, according to R.L. Polk & Co., analysts see pent-up demand boosting sales in January and driving demand to a third straight annual gain, the longest streak since U.S. sales peaked in 2000.
    Light-vehicle sales in January, set for release tomorrow, may have run at a 13.4 million seasonally adjusted annual rate, the average estimate of 14 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg. The pace probably accelerated from 12.7 million a year earlier while automakers’ spending on incentives stayed steady or slid from a year earlier, according to analysts at JPMorgan Chase & Co., RBC Capital Markets LLC and Barclays Capital.

• 197 JoJothecat
      January 31, 2012 at 10:12 am

My car is 18yrs old with over 160,000 miles on it. The job scene is still real shaky so I am paying to maintain it and keep it running unitl it poops out. My next car will be american, hybrid or electric.

43. 199 Ladyhawke
    January 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

THE QUIET TRIUMPH OF OBAMA CARE

By Harold Pollack and Greg Anrig

=================================

Yet surprising even to many advocates of health care reform, evidence is emerging that the ACA is already improving life for millions of average Americans. It is promoting long-overdue fundamental changes in our dysfunctional medical system. Moreover, because those reforms are starting to directly address heightened economic insecurities of average families – the personal financial conditions that will largely determine this year’s election outcomes – President Obama would be wise to more forcefully and more specifically explain how his health care bill is already helping millions of vulnerable families and the country as a whole. Sure, financially-pressured families will celebrate the derring-do of Seal Team Six. They should directly appreciate the immediate impact of improved insurance coverage and reduced medical costs.

1) About 2.5 million more young adults are now insured because of the new law.

2) Older Americans have stronger prescription drug and preventive care coverage.

3) Individuals with pre-existing conditions have greater access to coverage.

4) Structural changes are already making the health care system more efficient.

5) The Affordable Care Act brings greater fairness, transparency, and integrity to private insurance.

====================================

• 200 utaustinliberal
      January 31, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thanks for this LH. Just tweeted.

• 201 57andFemale
      January 31, 2012 at 12:41 pm

We’re kinda broke this month (no paychecks the last few months — we’re self-employed). My husband, in a Medicare HMO, is probably at the point where he needs cataract surgery. I checked our benefits — he now gets a free eye exam every year. We’ll get the referrals we need, but the initial exam– free.

That’s ACA, I believe. I wonder how many FL seniors know that. I wonder how many know how much they got from ACA, and they got their benefits faster than anyone.

• 202 Obama Grandmama
      January 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm

The 4) structural changes may not be so evident to some, but I have noticed it already and pass my little story on to others as often as the opportunity presents itself. Yesterday while in the salon chair getting my hair cut I told the lady cutting my hair about my own personal experience handling my own and my Mom’s health insurance paperwork before and since the ACA.

One of the little known changes involves Medicare being billed first then sending on the bill to the secondary insurance company. This little change helps the patient so much. Before the ACA the patient got statements from the insurance companies saying denied. The patient then needed to follow-up with calling to find out why they were denied only to find out it was because the bill was received in the wrong order. It used to be very time consuming and annoying. Now it is much smoother.

Another small thing is getting the medical records online. My knee Xrays were obtained from my primary doctor by my specialist without having to take new Xrays. That saves a lot of money, time and is much more efficient. I tell this story in a way that lets people know the ACA has important parts that are improvements in our lives so regular people understand. I also tell it in particular when I know other people will hear me too. I try to make it fit into the conversation and not be a political lecture but just a natural occurance. LOL

• January 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Way to go OG, way to go! :lol: I have this firm belief that personal sharing will make a significant difference in the midst of the Citizen’ United noise. People will see the ads for sure, but they will also be reminded of what they heard from ‘the person that they meet when they’re going down the street’, or when they were sitting in the salon, and I feel the latter will seem more real and carry more weight at crunch time. Especially if they’ve been lucky to have heard more than one personal testimonial. :lol:

44. January 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

For today’s giggles, a comedy sketch where President Obama has an “anger translator. It’s pretty funny and also cathartic.

45. January 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

Willard, Jumping on the Couch
    by Anne Laurie

Another analysis of the Presumed Republican Nominee, from Paul Constant at The Stranger:

As for Mitt Romney? For some reason, the guy has always reminded me of Tom Cruise, and I never could figure out exactly why that was. It’s not that both men have made People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People list, even though they have; or that both men belong to religions that creep everyone else out, even though they do; or that both men are ridiculously wealthy and unnaturally moisturized, even though they are. It wasn’t until watching Romney’s South Carolina concession speech that I finally realized what it was about him that made me think of Cruise.

In all his movies and, more importantly for our purposes, in all his talk show appearances, Cruise only comes in one flavor—INTENSE. Even when he’s not gibbering up and down on an overstuffed settee, he’s staring directly at the person he’s talking to, his jaw clenched, his eyes smoky and penetrative. He can’t make jokes, because jokes are born of nuance and self-understanding, and Tom Cruise doesn’t have time for any of that shit. He’s busy being Tom Cruise all the goddamned time, and the only thing harder than being Tom Cruise all the time is being Tom Cruise when he’s pretending to interact with other human beings.

For the last six years, Romney has set his formidable brain to one task: become the perfect Republican presidential candidate. He’s surrounded himself with the best political team money can buy. He’s financed extensive surveys of early primary states, he’s paid experts ridiculous sums of money to run scenarios for every single eventuality that could occur in the 2012 campaign, and he’s in all likelihood dropped exorbitant sums of money in the laps of branding experts to tell him at what angle he should hold the microphone away from his body to look most presidential.

But like Tom Cruise, Mitt Romney gets lost in the Uncanny Valley because his outsize ambition blinds him. He’s spending all of his time thinking about what a perfect presidential candidate should say and look like and do rather than being a presidential candidate…

46. January 31, 2012 at 10:11 am

+###############++++++++++###########++
    +############### ++++ +++++###########++
    +###############++++++#++############++
    +################+++++#++############++

47. 214 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

MSNBC GOING TO DISCUSS PBO HELPING MAN WITH RESUME LAST NIGHT…TUNE IN NOW!

48. 227 JoJothecat
    January 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

Sounds like Willard is going to stick the stake in Newts heart one last time to get him out of the race. All the stories about Newt not wanting to work while going to college, his first wife paying worked to put him through all his educational endeavors then divorces her, now I am hearing he did not pay child support and that the first wife had to get help from her church. Can’t wait until the next debate if Newt is still standing.

• 228 Lorraine
      January 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

That is how evil Romney does it. I’m no fan of Newton Leroy but this is beyond the pail. Chris Matthews was right, Romney is going to get his, and it will happen soon. I think talking about someone’s personal life is not fair game but since Romney bought it, his personal life should be fair game too.

• January 31, 2012 at 10:44 am

He spent over 20 million in Florida. Where are all his campaign offices?

• January 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

I watched about 5 minutes of Brian Williams last night – that was all I could take – where they interviewed 4 people in Florida and all of them were pretty negative on PBO. One of the guys said PBO has done absolutely NOTHING for the country since he took office. Really, nothing? Said PBO gave our money away to the auto industry and Pakistan. Duh, it was a loan that saved millions of jobs. And no push back from anyone about the facts. These idiots represent the worst in our country. Sometimes I wish these jerks could have seen the edge of the precipice before PBO stepped in. They’re just all liars and bigots. GRRRRR. This is why I can’t watch this crap on TV.

• January 31, 2012 at 11:01 am

They mimic fox news talking points.

• 233 FiredUpInCA
          January 31, 2012 at 11:34 am

“Said PBO gave our money away to the auto industry and Pakistan. Duh, it was a loan that saved millions of jobs.” The fact that Bush initiated the GM loan and funded Musharaff and this guy apparently didn’t have a problem with it tells me all I need to know. This guy and that Jennifer Wedel person yesterday are playing a game by pretending all of what they’re complaining about happened since President Obama took office. They do not represent the majority of Americans, who to this day, three years later, rightfully lay the blame for this economic turmoil on the Bush administration.

I have no respect for people like the Floridian you described who selectively take in facts in order to support ther preordained conclusion that President Obama should not be President.

• 234 Ladyhawke
          January 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm

There is just plain ignorance about the issues and then there is willful ignorance about the issues. Both are deadly to our political discourse. The facts are taking a backseat to lies and distortions.

• 235 JoJothecat
        January 31, 2012 at 11:00 am

I can’t wait to see Mittens and his minions spend millions to only lose much like Meg Whitman and Carli Fiorina did in California. Mittens will inundate the airwaves with lies that people will be turned off while PBO will have a very strong ground game plus his winning team of supportors.

• 236 utaustinliberal
      January 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

This very very personal and scumbag line of attack Romney and his cohorts are undertaking will bite him back in the ass. I am no fan of Newt but he was right when he asked the question; “How do you debate someone who lies all the time.” Romney lies with such ease and comfort, it says a lot about his character. He pretends to be above the fray, yet his super pac has been bombarding Floridians with negative ad after negative ad about Gingrich just as he did in Iowa.

Come the general, Romney won’t be able to get away with this morally corrupt behavior; because a general election has a far wider base than a primary.

49. January 31, 2012 at 10:40 am

It’s media day for the Super Bowl!

50. January 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

So, Exxon/Mobil misses it’s earnings estimate by 1 penny, One Penny, and the Market is now in negative territory.
    That is actualy sad.

51. January 31, 2012 at 11:00 am

WAH. I just got an invitation for a big fundraiser for PBO just a few blocks from me on Feb 16th but I don’t have the big bucks to go. WAH.

52. 241 JoJothecat
    January 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

People are just selling off taking advantage of the gains, then when prices drop enough they will go on a buying spree.

53. January 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

Yikes, be careful what you tweet people!

Holidaymakers have been warned to watch their words after two friends were refused entry to the US on security grounds after a tweet. Before his trip, Leigh Van Bryan wrote that he was going to “destroy America”. He insisted he was referring to simply having a good time – but was sent home.

Trade association Abta told the BBC that the case highlighted that holidaymakers should never do anything to raise “concern or suspicion in any way”.

The US Department for Homeland Security picked up Mr Bryan’s messages ahead of his holiday in Los Angeles. The 26-year-old bar manager wrote a message to a friend on the micro-blogging service, saying: “Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America.”

Err, I can confirm that when an Irish person says “I’m going to get destroyed” they mean ‘I’m going to get drunk’. By “destroy America” I assume he meant he just intended partying hard during his visit ….. but still, he wasn’t exactly smart.

54. January 31, 2012 at 11:17 am

55. 246 Canuck Joyce
    January 31, 2012 at 11:18 am

Good morning TOD family, another beautiful day! Enjoy it :)
    Blessings to all!

56. 247 Linda
    January 31, 2012 at 11:23 am

LukeRussert

CBO: The result of Bush tax cuts being EXTENDED would add $3.8 trillion to the deficit over the next 10 years

57. 249 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 31, 2012 at 11:27 am

OFF AND RUNNING…HAVE SOME HOMELESS SHOPPING TO DO TODAY! BLESSINGS EVERYONE!..BBL…

January 31, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Sue – Every day is a great day for you, with all of your enterprises. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being you.

58. 251 donna dem 4 obama
    January 31, 2012 at 11:30 am

DWS our DNC Chairwoman on Morning Joke.

Thanks for the heads up UT ;)

59. January 31, 2012 at 11:42 am

“99% Problems”…..but being rich ain’t one – Funny. Watch

60. 253 FiredUpInCA
    January 31, 2012 at 11:45 am

I didn’t watch Mitch Daniels State of the Union rebuttal, so I wasn’t aware of this:

Obama and the GOP agree: Eliminate tax breaks for millionaires

“If you’re earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn’t get special tax subsidies or deductions,” said Obama, who credited the idea to Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.). Daniels was on the same page. We should “stop sending the wealthy … so many tax preferences that distort our economy and do little or nothing to foster growth,”he said. If the apparent agreement here is real, it’s huge. But it went virtually unnoticed amid the fireworks over the Buffett rule.

In a column criticizing Obama’s State of the Union, my colleague Charles Krauthammer wrote “it took Daniels about 30 seconds” to “demolish” Obama’s ideas on taxing the rich, and that Daniels had it right when he said that the way to get the rich to pay more was to “eliminate loopholes from which the rich benefit disproportionately.”

If the two parties could come together around this change to the tax system, it would be a very, very big deal. Coburn’s office estimates that millionaires received $30 billion in tax breaks in 2009. Extend that over 10 years, adjust for economic growth and reductions in interest payments, and cutting out those subsidies would save the Treasury well over $500 billion and while making the tax code considerably more progressive.”

So my question is, if this really is the official GOP position, then why isn’t this more widely reported instead of the narrative that that two sides are more polarized than ever?

But far more importantly, why hasn’t Coburn led the way in getting obstructionist Republicans to agree to eliminate loopholes for millionaires?

I am genuinely baffled. Why isn’t this done already, if this is the GOP’s official position?

• January 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

This is not their position at all. They are full of it. Pres.Obama has been saying this for a couple of years and the GOP has not done a damn thing about it. GOP wants more tax cuts and wouldn’t care if the loopholes stayed open forever.

61. January 31, 2012 at 11:52 am

So uhm, I learned on twitter that Jennifer from the Google+ Hangout was on MSNBC today. Someone I follow on twitter was exasperated that she called him Obama and not President Obama.

62. 256 anniebella
    January 31, 2012 at 11:53 am

I saw that Jennifer woman from yesterday, she was on MSNBC Live, and the thing which really piss me off was that this woman mention POTUS name several times, but she never call him President Obama, she call him Obama. To me that is not showing respect. Even though this man President Obama is reaching out to help her husband, she still doesn’t show him the respect due him by calling him President Obama. I didn’t like that at all and if I could get in touch with her I would let her know that too.

• 257 halo
      January 31, 2012 at 11:57 am

Matches up with how she said she “stumped” him and how she wanted him to “dance a jig.” She’s a Texas Republican who didn’t vote for PBO last time.

• January 31, 2012 at 11:57 am

Who interviewed her and what was she saying?

• January 31, 2012 at 11:57 am

Apparently her husband lost his job under shrub and she whines on about PBO.

• January 31, 2012 at 12:06 pm

She turned up – surprise, surprise – on Politico today too. “I just think I stumped him a little and he wanted me to hush about it.” Really?! I’d love to know her background.

• January 31, 2012 at 12:13 pm

he wanted her to hush about it?! seriously? then why did he keep going back to you again and again Jennifer? why didn’t he just answer you and move on? She’s so ridiculous. He offered her help and then badmouth’s him for 5 seconds of fame? Which does she value more? a job for her husband or the chance to yak it up with the media that doesn’t give a shit about her. She’s so sad……….. she has a lot of nerve. she’ll probably still send him the resume too and it will be just like PBO to follow through on his commitment. I’m still glad he answered her the way he did cause he’ll be hearing more of that on the campaign trail but boy am I disgusted by her. :x

• January 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

That’s it Lisa, she’s entitled to whatever political allegiances she holds, but to lie about the exchange – when we all saw it – says it all about her really. What a pathetic woman.

• 265 halo
            January 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Exactly, Lisa! He says he wants to help. He actually says send me your resume! He doesn’t have to do it, but he did. ANd htne she turns around asks him to dance and sing for her like he’s a circus animal while blabbing to the media how PBO wanted to “hush” her? WTF is that? And to top it all off, she says she won’t vote for him unless he personally gets her hsuaband a job. She’s of the party of “you’re on your own” and now she’s whining about help from the government?

• January 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm

” And to top it all off, she says she won’t vote for him unless he personally gets her hsuaband a job. “—-WHAT?!!!!!!! What? What? Seriously, she said that?! Fuck her. Fuck. Her. That’s the last time I show empathy for a PBO detractor. Fuck it. The job her husband is supposedly qualified for is hiring like hotcakes. The fact that he can’t get a job and companies are having to look outside of the country says more about her husband’s credentials than it does about the state of our economy. That’s fricking it. No more Ms. Nice ‘n’ Understanding. Fuck her. Evil witch. :x

• 267 halo
                January 31, 2012 at 12:40 pm

“I don’t think he was trying to be condescending or anything,” said Wedel, who never completed college and was a stay-at-home mom before her husband was laid off, but now has a full-time job at State Farm to help make ends meet. “I just think I stumped him a little and he wanted me to hush about it.” Wedel said. “I don’t think what he was telling me was true, and I think he knew it, and that’s why he offered to take my husband’s resume,” she said, adding that her husband has kept it updated.

“She said she’s not drawn to any of the Republicans in the presidential race and might vote for Obama because at least she knows how he’ll handle the presidency. Wedel said she’d be more inclined to vote for him if the White House helps her husband get a job.”

I read that as “My vote is decided on whether Obama, PERSONALLY, can get my husband a job.” Who does that?

• 268 Ladyhawke
              January 31, 2012 at 12:34 pm

She apparently blames President Obama for the fact that her husband is unemployed. She must be willfully ignoring the fact that President Obama developed the American Jobs Act that has been blocked by the Republican Party. I guess it wouldn’t occur to her to question what the Republican Party has been doing about job creation since taking the majority in the House of Representatives (and before). Here’s the answer “NOTHING”.

REPUBLICAN JOB CREATION

========================

Shortly after gaining the House of Representatives in 2010 the new Speaker of the House, John Boehner, made the welcome claim that the primary goal of the Republican Party was to increase employment. His exact words were:

“We’re going to have a relentless focus on creating jobs.”

The following, therefore, is a chronological list of legislative activities by the GOP beginning 2-10-2011. I’m sorry to report that none, so far, have resulted in a single new job being created in America.

========================

• January 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Mother Fukcer! I knew that chick was no good. Another Jan Brewer that one. Oh look I told off/stumped the president.

• 271 terim
          January 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

She’s just trying to be another Joe the Plumber. Unfortunately the media just loves these ——-. (I’ll leave it blank, as this is a family site.)

• January 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

what was she saying? I’m more interested in what she said.

• 277 Ladyhawke
        January 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Last night I made a snarky comment that I was hoping she wasn’t being booked to be on the Today Show to explain to Ann Curry what it was like to interview President Obama during the Google Hangout. So much for snark. Looks like she will be making the rounds. As she appeared on Fox and Friends yet? From the time she asked her first question, my antennas went up. She seemed to be implying that if it were not for the H1 visa program, her husband would have a job. Apparently, that was President Obama’s fault.

• 280 Linda
      January 31, 2012 at 12:05 pm

How Fox like of MSNBC….

Why not bring on one of the others…like those high school students ?

• 281 Bill
      January 31, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I have a sense the woman and her husband have “issues”. The way she was touting her success as an insurance agent was offsetting and pointless. There are reasons other than lack of job openings that some people are not employed.

• January 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

” There are reasons other than lack of job openings that some people are not employed.”
        ——– I thought this yesterday when I was listening to her and PBO speaking especially when he said that the only reason business would give the jobs to foreign workers is if there aren’t enough American workers and I thought, well maybe he graduated with the degree but he can’t do the job, but I quickly crushed the thought because I thought it was too mean. Even PBO was a bit like: ‘if he’s qualified, why doesn’t he have a job….hm’ that’s why he asked for the resume. It’s the same thing in my program, a lot of people jump through the hoops and make it to the internship phase and get sent back because they just can’t hack it. Some of my professors have had to talk people–who have spent years in this program and a lot of money— out of this program because they just can’t do it. If these businesses are hiring like PBO said, there is no reason other than the husband’s incompetence that he shouldn’t be hired.

• 283 FiredUpInCA
      January 31, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I can’t shake the feeling that Jennifer is this year’s Joe the Plumber. She did not meet the President to be persuaded. Her goal was to prove that her problems would be solved if someone else was President, even though her husband’s job was apparently lost under a millionaire tax-cutting Republican President and Congress.

Over time, I think we will see that Jennifer is not genuine and she has an agenda. Or at the least she is just has a negative take on every damn thing. She contradicted the President on everything and said showed zero gratitude.

The most powerful man in the world offers to forward a loved one’s resume to prospective employers that he knows ‘thank you very much Mr. President’ is the first phrase that should pop out of you mouth. Not “I’ll have to take you up on that,” later followed by ‘could you do a jig for us or sing’.

Still, Jennifer is irrelevant to the overall positivity of that event. The President got closer to constituents than FDR’s fireside chats, or even his weekly Saturday addresses. it was a monumentally close connection between a President and voters and neither Jennifer nor the marine who referred to his former Commander-in-Chief as Mr. Obama, cannot ruin that.

• January 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Never thought of that FiredUp, but I bet you’re right, she’ll be wheeled out now by the GOP just like the plumber fool. The thing is, if the full exchange is actually shown by the media, it’ll be clear PBO wasn’t offering to get her husband a damn job – :roll: – he wanted to understand why he wasn’t able to get a job in light of his (supposed) qualifications, all part of looking in to the H-1B visas’ issue.

• 285 MsKitty (@michelec64)
      January 31, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Jennifer is on twitter as @mommawedel

I’m sure she would love some feedback about her newfound 15 minutes of fame.

63. 286 Linda
    January 31, 2012 at 12:08 pm

LAKELAND, Fla. — The Newt Gingrich campaign has a robocall out in Florida claiming that Mitt Romney once took kosher food away from Holocaust survivors.

The allegation made in the call, obtained by anti-robocall activist Shaun Dakin, is undoubtedly targeted at Florida’s large Jewish and elderly populations.

The text of the call:

As governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney vetoed a bill paying for kosher food for our seniors in nursing homes. Holocaust survivors, who for the first time, were forced to eat non-kosher, because Romney thought $5 was too much to pay for our grandparents to eat kosher.

Where is Mitt Romney’s compassion for our seniors? Tuesday you can end Mitt Romney’s hypocrisy on religious freedom, with a vote for Newt Gingrich. Paid for by Newt 2012.

• 287 FiredUpInCA
      January 31, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Here is Newt the thrice-married, twice-mistressed, three-way proposing, panderer-in-chief getting religion:

“He has no understanding of the importance of conscience or the importance of religious liberty in this country,” said Mr. Gingrich of Mr. Romney, who is a Mormon. “I will make religious liberty your right, to go with God with no government interference.”

A grateful nation is grateful, that the almighty Newt has endowed us with the an inalienable right to religious liberty.

in the same exchange he accused the President of a war on Christianity:

“Newt Gingrich stepped up his attack against President Barack Obama as he campaigned in Florida Monday, accusing the Democratic administration of declaring a “war against Christianity” with a new regulation requiring employers to cover birth control in their health policies.

At airport rallies in Pensacola and Fort Myers, Mr. Gingrich added a new pledge in his stump speeches, saying he would sign an executive order overturning all “anti-religious” federal policies on his first day in office.”

It remains to be seen if Floridian social conservatives are as situationally self-righteous as South Carolinians, who ignored Newt’s entire biography to give him a win over Romney.

64. January 31, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Who sings better Romney vs Obama? These polls are dumb but Obama is running away with it. ( I have to laugh at Mitt-bot’s transparent attemps to seem life-like.)

65. 296 Dudette
    January 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Have a deliriously Happy Birthday Africa! :-)

66. January 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Good morning all.

Ohioans LOVE THEM some Mittster.

67. 302 xtine
    January 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

“Latter Day Saints For Ron Paul” FB Page:

Methinks I must’ve jumped into yet another universe today. The other was Willard’s pandering,[ahem] singing.

January 31, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Oh, that’s right. With Ron Paul, everybody could be polygamists or close their religion to certain groups again.

People are so stupid it’s mind-blowing.

January 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

HLN just showed a clip of Gingrich talking about why Rs shouldn’t vote for Romney. Among the charges was that Mitt’s “pro-Gay rights.”

He didn’t say “pro-Gay marriage” or whatever, but “pro-Gay rights.” So, I guess it’s clear they have NO RIGHTS? In America? How about the right not to be discriminated against, for starters? Not even that?

• January 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Wow. What a poisonous hate-filled little man he is.

January 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

You are right, of course.

He’ll deny it, if you call him on it. He’ll blame the liberal media. Or Massachusetts. Or “Obama” (I think he means President Obama).

• 307 FiredUpInCA
        January 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Which is why his gay sister is solidly on record saying she will do everything she can to re-elect President Obama.

• 308 utaustinliberal
      January 31, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I saw that clip on MSBC and it rubbed me the wrong way. He didn’t say pro-gay marriage or pro-civil unions; he said pro-gay rights as though they don’t deserve to have federal benefits, state benefits, spousal benefits, etc. He basically disregarded them as inferior and not quite human. Newt will always be his own foe. He opens his mouth and spews hateful verbal diarrhea.

69. January 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm

What kind of show does Alex Wagner have?
    She has lost control of her show , again.

70. 311 FiredUpInCA
    January 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

To my fellow Aquarian Africa: Happy Birthday!

71. 316 Linda
    January 31, 2012 at 1:02 pm

On Monday, 43 Senate Republicans and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) introduced legislation to circumvent the Obama administration and approve the controversial Keystone XL tar sands pipeline. A ThinkProgress Green analysis reveals at least 35 of the 44 senators backing the proposal have received special interest political action committee contributions from the biggest backers of the pipeline since the start of the 2010 cycle.

$644,400 went to 35 of those senators who have endorsed this measure. Sens. Richard Burr (R-NC) and Rob Portman (R-OH) received the most, with $43,500 each. Manchin received $2,500 and the rest went to Republicans.

The most active companies and trade associations lobbying for the pipeline over the last three months were the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, ConocoPhillips, the Business Roundtable, Shell Oil, ExxonMobil, the American Petroleum Institute, the National Association of Manufacturers, the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association, Deere & Company, TransCanada Pipelines, and Devon Energy.

Of those, the PACs for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil, the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association, Deere & Company, and Devon Energy all made contributions to federal candidates over the past three years.

Manchin….again !

72. January 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm

73. January 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm

74. 323 Ladyhawke
    January 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm

CALLING THE KETTLE UN-PRESIDENTIAL (or The breathtaking hypocrisy of the Republican Party.)

From Jack Abramoff to Ann Coulter: Newt’s Most Hypocritical Critics

========================

n advance of today’s primary, the Republican establishment has gone into overdrive to convince Florida voters that Newt Gingrich is a faux-conservative, ethically challenged has-been. The collective Republican panic has been fun to watch, not least because some of the GOP all-stars condemning Newt are best known for their own ethical lapses and heated rhetoric. Here’s a rundown of some of the Republican leaders calling the kettle unpresidential.

=========================

75. January 31, 2012 at 1:13 pm

President Obama’s small-business growth plan includes a proposal to eliminate country-specific caps for certain immigrant visa categories.

The proposal, which is likely to run into opposition from some members of Congress, would eliminate the caps to “attract more high skilled foreign workers, including entrepreneurs” to the United States, according to a White House statement.

Business groups, particularly in the technology sector, have complained for years about the caps, which they say prevent them from hiring skilled workers and growing their companies in the United States.

76. 325 meabloom
    January 31, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hi All!

Happy Birthday Africa!!
    Also, I don’t know if someone else has posted it yet but our FLOTUS is to appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on Thursday morning. Where I am it only shows at 6 a.m..

77. 326 LDS
    January 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Good morning, Chips and family: My radar racist meter went off when this Jennifer person was defiant, no, he’ll bent on contradicting the President and tried to talk over him like that idiot Chris Matthews does when he does not want to hear what the other person is saying whether it is good or bar. But what really stood out was if my husband was out of work, I sure would not have any interest in seeing the President of the U.S. who offered to review his resume, “do a jig”.

TOD, this is a code word for racist. Why in the hell do racist think AA have to entertain them all the time? That’s what Hermain Cain was hired for and it backfired on them. And now, I am supposed to dance for you after I open the door to help your husband obtain employment. I can smell racisim and sense it. The You Tube video did not show , so I only had the audio. Her agenda was and is not forthcoming.

They are trying to do undercover, code words to entrap this wonderful human being. What they fail to realize is that it is exposing themselves and their ugly evil, vile selvess to a lot more people, thanks to technology. None of their lies, tricks, and hate will prosper.

Our President came across so caring, concerned and once again a gentleman. And even ended his last words,”Jennifer, get that to me”. She blew an opportunity to receive the greatest gift of all, love. I hope she spends her money wisely.

• 327 Proud of Obama
      January 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I felt the exact same way, LDS. She appeared close-minded and to already have her mind made up about what the president would say. Then she got on Thomas Roberts show today and tried to say the president changed his response to her when he clearly did not. And she called him Obama and would not say President.

There are some people who simply want to hate and can never be reached. I feel she is one. Even if her husband gets a job because of the president, she still won’t give him credit.

I am still irked about the “Jig” request. Told me she refuses to recognize he is the PRESIDENT like so many repubs. Such a shame.

78. 328 FiredUpInCA
    January 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Self-described avid Republican:

FORT WORTH — Jennifer Wedel was all ready Monday afternoon to challenge President Barack Obama on an issue that hits her where she lives: her engineer husband’s unemployment.

“When you’re given the opportunity to speak with the president, it’s either take it or leave it,” she said.

The 29-year-old mother of two and self-described “avid Republican” never expected that the commander in chief would ask for her husband’s résumé so he could look into his situation.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/31/2038657/texas-woman-talks-to-president.html#storylink=cpy

• 329 JoJothecat
      January 31, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Uh, I hope we hear more about The Wedel’s. At first I thought it was a setup then after reading more it appears to be the real deal, however, I am curious about a few things: Her husband must be four or five years older to have ten years experience as a semi-conductor engineer since she is only 29yrs old. I know that many high tech jobs went to Texas back in the 90’s but they were in Austin or Dallas…I am wondering if he refuses to re-locate due to being upside down on their home, reluctant to uproot their kids, etc.,

79. 330 yardarm756
    January 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

A bit of topic but I’m not sure if the following was posted here. Mark Oxner, a Republican congressional candidate from Florida, released a 39-second spot this week depicting the Obama administration as a slave ship.

• 331 Linda
      January 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I saw that the other day……it is disgusting….

January 31, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Just can’t even bring myself to watch that. They will all rot in hell. But I’ll tweet it, sight unseen.

January 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm

WIW had posted his contact info on a thread yesterday. I tweeted him and gave him a piece of my mind. He’s a vile disgusting human being. And his tweets suggest that he’s functioning at the level of a 5th grader.

80. 334 Ladyhawke
    January 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm

How Bain’s Lobbying Saved Mitt Millions

Private equity titans like Bain Capital used K Street to preserve the GOP front-runner’s favorite—and most lucrative—tax loophole.

========================

With the sting of defeat in the South Carolina primary still fresh at last week’s Republican presidential debate in Tampa, Mitt Romney slammed Newt Gingrich for his record as a consultant—or “historian,” in Newt-speak—for government mortgage-backer Freddie Mac.

But perhaps Romney should think twice before setting his sights on the former speaker’s lobbying-related past. That’s because the ex-governor has benefited handsomely from the influence-peddling of Bain Capital, the private equity firm he cofounded in 1983. Though he’s been gone from Bain for over a decade, Romney continues to rake in millions from accounts with the firm—and in 2007, he took Bain’s side in a key lobbying battle with Washington—one that saved him millions of dollars.

========================

81. 335 LDS
    January 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Happy Birthday, Africa!
    Many, many more.

82. 338 symmetry11
    January 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm

“`*•.¸(`*•.¸ ¸.•*´)¸.•*´)
    «´ ╠╣APPY `»
    «´BIRT╠╣DAY AFRICA!
    (,.•*´(¸.•*´ `*•.¸)`*•.,)

83. 341 tally
    January 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

84. January 31, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Thanks to everyone for the beautiful birthday wishes. This site is the best. Lots of great news!!!!