Feb

afternoon all (updated)

Thank you ObamaBuilt2LastNZ!

First Lady Michelle Obama participates in a tug of war with Jimmy Fallon in the Blue Room of the White House during a “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” taping for the second anniversary of the “Let’s Move!” initiative, Jan. 25. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

** NBC tonight at 12:35 am ET **

AP: The number of available jobs in the United States jumped in December to near a three-year high, supporting other data that show a brighter outlook for hiring.

Companies and governments posted 3.38 million jobs in December, the Labor Department said Tuesday. That’s up from the 3.12 million advertised in the previous month and nearly matches the three-year high reached in September. Job openings in the private sector reached the highest point in almost three and a half years.

…. The report on job openings follows Friday’s optimistic employment figures. Those showed employers added 243,000 net jobs in January, and the unemployment rate fell to 8.3 percent.

….. It generally takes one to three months for employers to fill job openings. December’s big jump in postings is likely one reason January’s jobs report was healthy. But it also suggests job growth may continue in the coming months.

More here

TPM – thanks Loriah

Steve Benen: For months, Republican presidential candidates have been eager, if not desperate, to accuse President Obama of waging a “war on religion”….

…. Mitt Romney seems to have settled on a policy to match the attack: the Obama administration’s decision to require coverage of contraception as preventive care under the Affordable Care Act is, according to the former governor, an “attack on religious liberty”.

…. As a substantive matter, Romney’s lying. The administration’s policy already exempts churches and other houses of worship and “doesn’t require any individual or employer to violate a religious belief – it simply ensures that their employees with different beliefs have the same access to birth control as all other women.”

…. he’s not only lying; he’s also denouncing Obama for adopting a policy similar to one Romney used to support …. as governor, a previous iteration of Romney required all Massachusetts hospitals, including Catholic hospitals, to provide emergency contraception to rape victims.

More here

Link

USA Today: Pundits and bishops warn President Obama he could lose the white Catholic vote over requiring a contraception option for insurance plans. But Catholic women say they want birth control covered in employee health plans.

…. The Catholic bishops, backed by conservative evangelicals, say the Obama administration shouldn’t include contraception coverage as part of free preventive care options in employers’ health insurance plans …. here’s where the Catholic women come in. According to the Public Religion Research Institute poll released today:

….58% of all Catholics agree employers should be required to provide their employees with health care plans that cover contraception. That slides down to 52% for Catholic voters, 50% for white Catholics.

… the numbers might bring pause to pundits mulling the “Catholic vote”.

More here

Steve Benen: For months, Republican super PACs have been raising vast sums from wealthy donors …. the political world, however, hasn’t heard much from Democratic super PACs, which have raised far less money.

That will apparently soon change … Jim Messina argued overnight that the Obama campaign just doesn’t have a choice.

He added that Republican super PACS, in aggregate, are “expected to spend half a billion dollars, above and beyond what the Republican nominee and party are expected to commit to try to defeat the President.” That may sound like hyperbole, but it’s a reasonable estimate. The Koch brothers alone are prepared to spend $100 million later this year to defeat Obama.

…. Democrats had a choice: stick to principle, refuse to play by the new rules, and make defeat far more likely, or level the playing field …. The only surprise here is that anyone would be surprised by the decision.

Full post here

Thanks Mary

NYT: The delicate Karl Rove said he was “frankly, offended” …. (by)…. the Chrysler ad that Clint Eastwood narrated, which many people who don’t share Mr. Rove’s political worldview thought was rather uplifting.

…. he suggested the words were dictated by “the President of the United States and his political minions,” who bailed out Detroit with taxpayer dollars. It’s just another example of “Chicago-style politics,” he said, whatever that means.

The White House said it had nothing to do with the ad, but it had a great deal to do with Detroit’s resurgence, and that’s what’s really offensive to Mr. Rove and other Republicans. They’d prefer to drown out the good news coming from the carmakers, such as these recent headlines…

More here

Flashback … from 2004:

I’m still catching up with the news – and all the comments! – after being out today, will post again soon-ish ;-)

271 Responses to “afternoon all (updated)”

1. 1 nospin
    February 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Wow! you have been a busy bee Chips.

2. February 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Good afternoon TOD. LOVE the picture of Lily ledbetter and the Obama’s.

3. 6 GGail
    February 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hey Chipsticks – you are doing GREAT work today :-)

Say Karl Rove – that commercial hit a nerve – did it?

LOL!!!!!!

4. 11 Desraye
    February 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I wish I knew how to twit. I would twit that poll about the catholics supporting the president on contraception.

5. February 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

President Obama & the Guy with the Purple shirt……. man what an awesome video!!

• February 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Love it ObamaBuilt2LastNZ!!!!!!!!!! Added it to the post, thank you!!

February 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I usually don’t watch Jimmy Fallon, but I will tonight. It should be a blast.

• 21 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      February 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

THE PURPLE SHIRT IS A PRICELESS STORY…AND THIS PRESIDENT HAS MANY WHO HAVE FOLLOWED HIM FOR YEARS…FOR GOOD REASON…TIS’ THE SEASON OF THE GREAT PRESIDENT…THE ONE WHO WAS BORN TO LEAD AMERICA DURING SO MANY MOMENTS OF CHALLENGE!

• February 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I LOVE the video, President Obama is so consistent and honest. Just one of the many things I love about him. It was good to see this, I’ve been feeling crap for the last few days (coming up to the anniversary of losing my second baby) and this has cheered me up a little. Been lurking most of the day and I’m off to bed early tonight. See you all tomorrow.

• 23 PoliticalJunkessa
        February 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

((((((((((Sam UK)))))))))) ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• 24 nospin
        February 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm

hugs hugs hugs Sam UK. Hugs to you

• February 7, 2012 at 6:51 pm

HUGSSSS Sam…. sending L♥ve to You and your ♥ ♥ Angels ♥ ♥

• February 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Sam, thinking of you, hope you are sleeping well.

• 27 sjterrid
        February 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Sam UK I’m so sorry for the loss of your babies. I know how devastating this can be. My mother had a baby that was still-born between me and my brother. This was in the early 1960′s. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist she was seeing decided to give her shock treatment to treat her depression, which made her condition worse. Thank God she had gone to a state hospital to be evaluated, and they were able to help her and was released in a few weeks. You and your family are in my thought and prayers, and may God bless their souls.

• February 8, 2012 at 3:09 am

sjterrid thank you so much for sharing your mom’s devastating story, my heart goes out to her and you. I am SO sorry to hear how she was treated back in the 1960′s and I am glad that she did get some help from the state hospital.

Thank you all for your kindness it REALLY means a lot to mem

God bless you all.

• 29 Cha
      February 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Oh Boy, is that a tear jerker and a keeper! Thanks,NZ! That speech and all the rest about then Senator Obama was what made me a supporter and it’s only gotten stronger.

February 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for finding this, NZ! Great video :)

• 31 Mary Gray
      February 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Love this and thank you so much for posting it. Love that purple shirt.

6. 32 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    February 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I LOVE THESE VIDEOS…TODAY’S SPEECH FROM PBO WAS WONDERFUL AND A GREAT ENCOURAGEMENT TO OUR ‘SCIENTISTS OF TOMORROW!’ HIS PRIORITIES ARE RIGHT WHERE THEY BELONG…EDUCATION…EDUCATION…EDUCATION IS THE KEY! THE PIC OF FLOTUS AND JIMMY FALLON…AWESOME…IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE FUN IF THEY WERE USING ‘MITTENS’ FOR A RUBBERBAND!

7. 33 Linda
    February 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm

teehee…..even if I did get this at kos

8. 36 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    February 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

OUR PRESIDENT IS SO ACCOMPLISHED…WAKE UP AMERICANS AND SMELL THE COFFEE! YOU DON’T GET BETTER THAN THIS! THEY BROKE THE MOLD ON PBO!

9. February 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm

President Obama looked like he was having a blast today with the science kids!

10. February 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Glad that Prop 8 is overturned!

11. 45 Linda
    February 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Mitt Romney: “Today, unelected judges cast aside the will of the people of California who voted to protect traditiona­l marriage. This decision does not end this fight, and I expect it to go to the Supreme Court.

That prospect underscore­s the vital importance of this election and the movement to preserve our values. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and, as president, I will protect traditiona­l marriage and appoint judges who interpret the Constituti­on as it is written and not according to their own politics and prejudices­.” -

so Romney’s solution to unelected judges is to appoint unelected judges… just as long as they are going to make decisions the way he wants them too.

• February 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This makes my blood boil. The way they’re pandering to the religious right is disgusting. What happened to being President of ALL THE PEOPLE? And why does he have to emphasize “unelected judges”? Aren’t they all appointed? Who would want a judge that has to run for election, and then pander to voters? Romney is extremely dangerous.

• February 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Agree Theo. There are so many levels of hypocrisy in Willard’s statement it’s like a Dagwood sandwich. The whole issue of the judges is absurd. You do not elect judges to any higher court and, in a decent society, you respect their right to make constitutionally based decisions. I would also like to know who the “our” is in the values he’s preserving. They’re not mine, nor the millions of gay/lesbian citizens of this country and their families and friends. And I’m sorry to say this, but a man whose family moved to Mexico to engage in polygamy needs to stay far away from the issue of so-called traditional marriage. Besides, sanctimonious Rick has that market covered.

• 50 Lovepolitics2008
      February 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Ha ha good for you to point it out. I admit I didn’t think Romney was THAT incoherent. I mean… A contradiction of principle within a couple of paragraphs.

This should go VIRAL.

My goodness, is Romney a weak candidate or what…

• 51 PamfromCalif
      February 7, 2012 at 11:15 pm

How much of Mitt’s tithing $$ help the Mormon Church interfere with California Politics? The Mormons spent tons of $$ and their members worked to have Prop 8 on the ballot and to disenfranchise Californians of basic civil rights. I hope Mitt loses in a huge way.

12. February 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Just added this:

:lol:

13. 62 nintendowii10
    February 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Russ Feingold is a fucking sellout. He’s saying that President Obama using a SUPER PAC to fight fire with fire will have disastrous effects and will lead to scandal… he is sounding very much like a Republican, so fuck him! :mad: :evil:

• 63 nintendowii10
      February 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Sorry for my language Chips and all, but this REALLY pisses me off, and how the emoleft go after President Obama and call him a sellout. Are they that STUPID, that they want President Obama to be beaten by the SUPER PACs? This is for ALL the marbles, and it’s typical that the emoleft would worship and kiss the ass of a proven LOSER like Russ Feingold who couldn’t even win his own seat in Wisconsin in 2010!!!!! :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil:

• 64 Canuck Joyce
        February 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm

POTUS is where he is now because he has never listened to the back-seat drivers. He keeps his eyes on the prize and presses on!

• 65 TrumpDog
      February 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I wish he’d fucking go away. He’s not helping one bit.

• 66 Linda
        February 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Did he ever ? The only thing I recall about him is that he always voted against War funding….

• 67 nintendowii10
          February 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm

He voted AGAINST the closing of GITMO that the emoleft blames on the President. I bet that if Feingold had gotten re elected, he’d voted for NDAA and then blamed the President for signing it. He’s a less crazy/racist version of Ron Paul!

• February 7, 2012 at 7:19 pm

He voted for Justice Roberts and I remember reading a support post for him on DK by the man who voted against Roberts, Sen. Barack Obama. In that article he suggests that honorable people can disagree without having their patriotism held suspect. I haven’t seen the same support for him from his former colleagues.

Just as I haven’t seen—though it may exist somewhere—a push-back against Orrin’s attack on the president’s NPB remarks. I’d have expected a group of Christian church spokespeople to rally in agreement with the president’s recounting of the Sermon on the Mount; I would have expected a colleague or two to get up and protest the slanderous misinterpretation of President Obama’s biblically accurate remarks from Orrin who was inspired by the Angel Moroni and Mr. Smith Makes a Gospel. I’m not so much ridiculing Hatch’s articles of faith or the belief system of his fellow Mormons as challenging his hypocrisy in making his false and disrespectful public grandstanding of a strawman critique.

Forgive me if I offend any Mormons here.

• 69 Canuck Joyce
      February 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

He needs to have a piece od STFU and go to bed. What’s wrong with the dems? Who needs enemies with friends like these losers? grrrrrr

February 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Why don’t Russ Feingold put the blame for this where it belongs, John Roberts and his Conservatives SC Judges.

• 71 Lorraine
      February 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Well as quiet as it’s kept, when Senator Feingold in Congress he asked that the Bush tax cuts not be bought up. Worked out nicely didn’t it.

• 72 Lovepolitics2008
      February 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Feingold is all about ideology. He has NO CLUE on how to govern and how to bring in progress in the real life of american politics.

President Obama is a realist. The absolute priority is to win the election. In a context where the other party is so destructive, intellectually and morally bankrupt, he is perfectly justified in my opinion to put practicality before purity. Things are already challenging, no need to take unnecessary risks of losing this vital election.

First: keep republicans out of power. Second: with democrats in control of the WH and the Congress, push for correcting the horror of Citizens United decision.

I think that some emoprogs will side with PBO this time.

• February 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Who but the “head in the clouds” emo-left care what Russ Feingold says or thinks? I can’t name one fellow Democrat who would give a damn. Russ was useless in the face of the tea party onslaught in Wisconsin and lost an important Senate seat. So he can stand on his principle in the middle of a Wisconsin cow field for all I care.

• 74 JoJothecat
      February 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I guess that’s why Russ Feingold is no longer in office….he played it safe, didn’t fight for the people of WI and they have a bunch of GOP Rethugs running the place. I am so glad the people of WI have more fight in them than Mr. Feingold. I am proud that our President will fight for us and we will fight for him too!

• 75 Uche
      February 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

That’s why he lost his election in 2010.

14. 76 Canuck Joyce
    February 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Chips for the science fair video. I love POTUS even more, if it’s possible after watching it. He is the Real Deal!

4 MORE 4 44!

15. February 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Do Liberals groups understand politics at all? I tweeted NARAL, Planned Parenthood and Emily’s List that they need to get vocal about the birth control mandate and NARAL tweets me a petition. A petition to tell the administration that we are behind them. NO NO NO – I want these groups out in front. Sounding off as loudly as the church and the right wing.

• 78 nintendowii10
      February 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm

They’re all too FUCKING BUSY attacking the President for his SUPER PAC decision!!! FUCKING MORONS ALL!!!! :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil:

• 79 sherijr
        February 7, 2012 at 4:52 pm

here are our SuperPacs.. if you’re not already following them folks: @PrioritiesUSA @Priorities2012. I am certain POTUS would have preferred not going this route, but he’s basically been left with no alternative.. he knows we can’t match the dollars the GOP will pour in via their huge corporate donations to superpacs.. if Feingold can’t figure that out, then he ought to enlighten himself as to what we’re up against. Maybe he’ll do just dandy under a President Romney or a President Gingrich- I won’t.. and frankly no one I know will either.

• 83 vero804
      February 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Good job. These folks are never ready to help fight the rhetorical battle.

• 84 Desraye
      February 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm

This is why I hope that someone would twit the poll that Chips posted above to David Axlerod, Jim Messina and Jay Carney to let them know not to back down.

• 85 nintendowii10
        February 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm

We need ALL of them upfront and center not just to fight back against this birth control/contraception nonsense from the hard right, but also the SUPER PAC sniveling from the hard left.

• 86 Linda
      February 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Do these religious Hospitals do vasectomies ?

16. 87 Bill
    February 7, 2012 at 4:52 pm

The poll released today on Catholics and contraception is another example of President Obama not making mistakes. Everyone on Morning Joe for the last two days has been apoplectic that the decision was a disaster. I suppose that is why PBO will be one of the greatest presidents of all time, and the MJ crew will remain nothing but irrelevant gasbags.

17. 88 nintendowii10
    February 7, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Again, apologies for my anger and language TODers, but once again the emoleft are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The President’s poll numbers are going up against both Mitt and Newt, and the emoleft WASTES this opportunity to SNIVEL and BITCH about the President using a SUPER PAC that his campaign pledges to disclose the donations of. NONE of the donors will be secret, as opposed to the right wing SUPER PACs. Instead of using this opportunity to assist the President in fighting the SUPER PACs, they choose to bitch and moan and be a part of the PROBLEM, not the SOLUTION. And the irony of it all is that they are mostly RON PAUL fans. I don’t recall the Ron Paul campaign disclosing their donors, does any TODer here do? These morons need to quit throwing a monkey wrench into our progress and efforts! :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil:

• 89 Canuck Joyce
      February 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm

nintendowii10, don’t get yourself worked out, think about your blood pressure.
      Remember the emoleft are doing what they do best: whining, whining and more whining. They are not interested in accomplishing any progress. Their raison d’être is to protest, criticize and scream! They want a repug president, so they can become relevant and tv darlings.

Once your remind yourself of this fact, dust off your shoulders and press on!

• 90 nintendowii10
        February 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

True… but expect the emoleft pundits like Ed and Rachel to snivel about the President CAVING and have their surrogates on to back them up, all while ignoring the garbage from the far right over birth control/contraceptives. I bet Kooky Kucinich the Keebler Elf and Maxine and her terrible wig make the media rounds attacking the President for selling out with SUPER PACs. We need our Obama surrogates… Gibbs, Burton, Carney to hit the media rounds and get the message straight. PRESS ON!!!!!

• 91 Betsy
          February 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

In fairness to Ed, he sounds supportive, calling it leveling the playing field. He’s been on board these past few months.

• 92 tally
      February 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’m with you. The emoprogs want PBO to run a foot race while the GOP all have Buckaroo Banzai’s jet car that went through the mountain.

• 93 Canuck Joyce
        February 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Tally, that’s right! see above my reply to nintendowii10.
        We need the twitter brigade to push back in full force. Where are you gus/gals?

• 94 susanne
        February 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm

hey, we’ve got the orange marshmallow thingy! take that, emoscum!

• 95 Desraye
      February 7, 2012 at 5:27 pm

The left leaning website that I visited were all for it. There was a couple complaining but they got shut down.

• 98 sjterrid
      February 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I believe these people want President Obama to lose. Every time there is good news for President Obama and the republicans come out against something that shows how dangerous they are for this country, instead of having his back and attacking republicans they attack him. Luckily I don’t think they are as influential as they think they are.

18. February 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Greetings Everyone

I have so enjoyed reading your wonderful comments, watching the videos, (purple is my favorite color too) and reading the insightful articles folks link to.

I wanted to make a suggestion, each time we hear a story about “what the Republicans are going to do”. We answer that post with WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO.

So….. if Repugs try and block the payroll tax cut – will you tweet? Will you create a message on your facebook page about the issue, how many calls can you make? Is anyone willing to start right now building a phone chain of friends and relatives so when the issue hits the Senate or the House we are ready? How many email messages can we send to those who oppose the bill?

If you belong to unions, social groups, or OFA, can you raise the issue of our response – so we will be ready?

We did a great job in December, we need to prepare ourselves for a battle again in February. As speaker Pelosi said – when we raise our voices and stand up for what we believe in – we win.

Put your elected officials on speed dial today, bookmark their email contact web pages, prepare to bring Twitter to its knees……..

19. February 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Hi Chips and TOD Family. Thanks for everything, Chips. This is the place to be. My grateful heart through it is weak, still is filled with much joy from this place. HZ

• 105 nintendowii10
      February 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for posting HZ, I think folks here were concerned about your lack of posting :wink:

• February 7, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Ah HZ, we were thinking about you yesterday, missed you! How are you doing?

• February 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hello my dear Chips. I have missed you and our TOD family, for sure. My computers were down for nine days at least, and the stress of that did not help my heart.

However, I am so happy to be back with my family here and to also have my computers up and working. It is a pain when they are down. I felt so alone without interacting with you all.

I hope all is well with you as well. I had a lot of catching up to do, but it was beautiful to do so. Thanks for being so beautiful, Chips. I love you so much for my home here.HZ

• 110 Betsy
          February 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I know what you mean. I was away this weekend and had no access to a computer. I felt like my right arm was missing and that my friends had left me :D

• 111 Canuck Joyce
      February 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Hi HZ, where have you been? I missed your uplifting comments lately. Hope you’ll feel better soon. glad to see you’re able to post.
      I’ll keep you in my prayers. Please add my grandma to the list of people you pray for.
      ((((((HZ)))))

• February 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Thank you Canuck Joyce for your kind thoughts. I am back now. My computers were down for nine days and my heart could not take the stress from that, and I was really missing my TOD family. However, it is so wonderful to be back with you all.

Canuck Joyce, your grandma has been added to the ‘precious prayer’ list of our family here. ((((((((((((((Hugs to her))))))))))))HZ

• 113 PoliticalJunkessa
      February 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

((((((((((HZ)))))))))) ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• 115 LadyTNT
      February 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Hi HZ, your presence is definitely missed. I know I sound selfish, but GET BETTER BECAUSE WE NEED YOU!!!!
      {{{{{{{{{{{{HZ}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• February 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Thanks so much LadyTNT. I was ill and I was without my computers for none days. Stressed out over that did not help at all. However, computers are up and running and I am kicking as usual. I missed you all so much. Not being able to be here is like not having a car to get around.

I am going to take care because we have a lot of work to get done. I did do some work while resting and waiting. I love you all for thinking of me. I really did miss all of my TOD Family.HZ

• 117 LadyTNT
          February 7, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Welcome back HZ!! I am happy you’re feeling better and that your computer is fixed. I love reading your thoughts. They calm me and make me smile.

PS. I love when you get mad because you even tell people off in a calm manner, LOL!

February 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi, HZ :) I have been thinking of you and Fred…wondering how you both are doing as we haven’t seen you in awhile….Just know that you are thought of and loved….glad to see you here today. :)

• February 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hello Desertflower, thanks so much for your kind and generous thoughts. I am back now. I was ill, and I was also without my computers for about nine days. That in itself caused more stress to my body. However, I am so happy to be back with my family here. Love you all back very much.HZ

February 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Welcome back HZ. Glad to see that your computer is up and running and hope your body is on the mend :)

• February 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Hopefruit2, thanks so much. You see why I miss you all so much. You all are so smart, respectful, and so supportive of POB , I just love this place. Really, Hopefruit2, you all give me so much to think about with hopefulness. I am so proud to be able to come here and find out great news, great humor, and even visit the ‘naughty mat’ when Chipsticks put out the delicious photos. Oh, and I forgot when Lisa gets us in trouble with the ‘rain one.’

Do you all know how much love, care, and gentle spirits you share with so many of us who see so much hope in each of you. I love your brilliant conversations, thoughts on how we are going to work together to get our president re-elected, and know how to make sure we help our beautiful Chips keep our space here respectful? I hope you all do. You all give me such peace. Thank you so very much, Chips and my dear TOD family.

My computer tech was so impressed when I told him to hurry and get my computer repaired correctly. He was even a little cute. However, he was young enough to be my son. He was so respectful as well. He was so impressed in that I could not stop talking about how I had to get back to my TOD Family. We can have goodness to share with others even in our everday interactions with others. I think that I had him thinking about how POB has done so much even for the job that he has now as a tech at his company. His insurance and his family’s homes. Great interaction while he did his repairs on my computer. Left with a hug and how he was going to share the positive about POB with his family members. We can share, pray, and be informative with others.HZ

• February 7, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Aye HZ. Good to hear from you. We were a bit concerned about our shipmate. Hang in there and mind your helm, eh?

• February 7, 2012 at 10:38 pm

You are so kind, yardarm756. Thanks so much. I love you all so much. I will hang in here for the long journey. I just got a calendar where I can tear off the days as they pass daily until our “Big Day.”

I hope that you are doing fine as well, yardarm756.HZ

• 124 collegekay
      February 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm

(((((((((((((((HZ)))))))))))))))) <3 <3

20. February 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Jobs Report: Unemployment Rate For Returning Veterans Fell 6 Percentage Points
    great chart

21. February 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Consumer credit — a strong indicator of consumer confidence — continued to soar in December, growing over $19 billion, and considerably exceeding expectations

• 128 utaustinliberal
      February 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for this twitterific news. My twitter senses are tingling! ————————-> Onwards to twitter!

22. 129 Canuck Joyce
    February 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Great News guys all around us. let’s focus on that instead.
    Let’s not get distracted by the other team. They don’t have anything going for them, so they have to make up false outrage.

• 130 nintendowii10
      February 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

But as I pointed out above, we need our Obama surrogates in the media to get the message out.

I don’t have Twitter, but to those that do, tweet Gibbs, Axlerod, Carney, Burton and encourage them to hit the media rounds, calling out the BS and lies about birth control/contraceptives and the SUPER PAC nonsense. The more they hit the media, the less the right wing and left wing folks have to snivel about. PRESS ON!!!!

• 131 vero804
        February 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I wonder if the media just doesn’t invite our side on tv when we have issues like this contraceptive issue coming up. It just seems like far too often, when the administration puts forth their position on something, we get hammered in the messaging. There are no surrogates to be found, they’re bumbling and “ahh’ing” through the explanation (I love Axe but he has a tendency to not spit out his point), or they are getting out talked by the other side. I don’t think it’s just that we don’t have surrogates…I think we can’t get any play on tv.

• 132 Canuck Joyce
        February 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

You’re right about that nin. I replied to you and Tally.
        We have a twitter team here. How can we contact them to get them on the case?

23. February 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Nail, meet hammer. Interesting cry in the wilderness from Erick Erickson:

“I doubt any of [the GOP presidential hopefuls] can beat Barack Obama unless the economy gets worse,” said Red State editor Erick Erickson, in his official non-endorsement cri de coeur, “and I don’t want to be in a position of rooting for a bad economy.”

24. 141 donna dem 4 obama
    February 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

For Desraye ;)

25. 145 Linda
    February 7, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Tweety is speed talking today….but he is wrong on every issue so far.

• 146 nintendowii10
      February 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I don’t waste time on Tweety… he invited and is friends with convicted felon Tom Delay. They need to replace him with Martin Bashir who is actually a straight talker and attacks the Republicans for their BS.

• February 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Yes, Martin Bashir needs prime time exposure. Tweety is ridiculous – you never know whether he’ll be on his meds.

• 148 Lorraine
        February 7, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Martin Bashir is a truth teller on MSNBC, but I still have an alt against him for his interview with Michael. That was the beginning of the end for Michael.

• 149 Cheryllou
      February 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Tweety is getting on my last nerve. I think after today I will no longer watch his show.

• 151 nospin
      February 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

he certainly was wrong on all the issues.

26. February 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Chips,

can you make one of your famous graphics.

a t-shirt with:

“Osama Bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive”

I honestly believe the campaign needs to make up a shirt with this on it.

• 153 donna dem 4 obama
      February 7, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Except I prefer ….and the Auto Industry is alive”

Chrysler just did us a big favor Sunday night. ;)

27. 155 Mary
    February 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This is a great video! It should go viral. I wish I knew how to embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCgYcARiuA “3 Years of Progress”

28. 167 nintendowii10
    February 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Not sure if this was posted yet…

29. 170 tally
    February 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Why are so many CONSERVATIVES ignorant of how science & biology work?

- Birth control lowers the abortion rate.
    - Birth control prevents ovulation. Sperm cannot fertilize eggs that don’t exist. Sperm cannot enter the ovary. (exit only.)
    - Fertilized egg ≠ fetus. Pregnancy doesn’t exist without attachment to the uterine wall. You can fertilize eggs all day long in a fertillity clinic, but unless one of those attaches itself to the uterine wall, pregnancy doesn’t occur.
    - The Morning After pill prevents attachment to the uterine wall. So to call it an abortion pill, is a LIE at best, and complete ignorance at worse, and the equivilant of believing that every mentrual cycle is a dead baby minus some sperm and opportunity, and what fertility clinics do is create dead fetuses all day long. Where is the outrage there?

You can’t cherry pick reality.

Makes me want to shake the stupid out of them.

• 171 Obama Grandmama
      February 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Tally-
      Those believing the moment of conception determines life believe that when the sperm permeates the egg that is the moment of life. I have decided that each side has their own beliefs and one side will not convince the other side. Arguments based on beliefs centered on life beginning at a different time than those believing otherwise doesn’t work.

Many in the Catholic religion are considered hypocritical by others in using birth control when the church preaches against it, but instead of hypocrisy it is called using your own concious to choose a different path. The reason I know that is when I converted to Catholicism before marrying my late husband I spent a year studying the religion in Inquiry Classes and disagreed with the Church’s views on birth control. I asked a priest and later other priests about this and was told after praying and using my own concious if I did not agree with this it was allowed. Most Catholic families in the US use birth control atleast that is what I experienced with knowing Catholic friends. Rhythm was not a choice for me as my cycle was never regular.

When I first read Audacity of Hope the viewpoint President Obama expressed in his book about using birth control to offset the need for abortions and helping young mothers after the birth of their children with food etc. is what convinced me to support him. I also was impressed with his respect for the abortion foes that interrupted one of his early rallies. I think we need to remember to be respectful of those that believe different than ourselves.

I am no longer attending church as I was appalled to see the so called Christians bash President Obama under the guise of God’s banner, but I do understand the deep seated beliefs many hold. I also still pray and believe in God. I just have not found a family within the church since moving to this Red county where I live now.

• 172 tally
        February 7, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I understand they believe a lie. But it’s still a lie.

Conception needs uterine wall. PERIOD. If all you needed was an egg + sperm, we’d be growing babies without a mother right now, but that technology doesn’t exist.

• 173 isonprize
      February 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Makes me want to shake the stupid out of them.

Tally, you’d die trying. I, for one, would rather you stay around.

30. 174 tally
    February 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Help this go viral – (they FINALLY talked about this on our local news this morning.)

Conservatives Big on Fear, Brain Study Finds
    Are people born conservative?

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals. The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.

31. February 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Feingold is having a sissy fit because his ONLY claim to fame, is McCain/Feingold campaign finance law.
    The citizens United law basically overturned that, so now he is irrelevant!
    And it shows!

• 185 nintendowii10
      February 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I already had my Russ Feingold rant earlier Jovie, welcome to the party pal :wink:

• February 7, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Sissy fit. Good one. Don’t tell me he’s whining because the President decided to fight fire with fire? Leave it to Feingold in the middle of a war to expect his side to disarm while the other side continues stockpiling.

• 187 nintendowii10
        February 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm

and as I pointed out, its the emoleft accusing President Obama of “caving…” when has Russ Feingold fought his entire political career? He had to call the President and FLOTUS to boost his numbers in 2010, and STILL LOST!

• February 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Yeah after pretending he didn’t need PBO. Then when he finally got a clue it was too late.This irritates me to no end. He watches obscene money being poured into Republican coffers but pretty much keeps his mouth shut. Then the minute our side decide to fights back he finds his voice but as usual points it in the wrong direction. I don’t know how to break the news to him but Dems don’t want to wind up where he’s sitting.

• 189 nintendowii10
            February 7, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Tell it to the Wisconsinites who want him to replace Scott Walker… Russ Feingold said he wouldn’t run for a reason, the reason being that he knows he’d continue to be a do nothing LOSER POLITICIAN and it’s so much easier to throw shots from the sidelines where he can experience ZERO political repercussions for his stupid actions/statements!

• February 7, 2012 at 6:21 pm

This! The Wisconsin Republican Party would love nothing better to run against Mr Higher Principles. And when he gets crushed he’ll just pat himself on the back for running a morally superior campaign.

• 191 JoJothecat
        February 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I hope I never have him as the democratic nominee for president EVER! He really does not know how to fight against these republicans.

32. 192 nintendowii10
    February 7, 2012 at 6:02 pm

LMAO… Mitt said he was a pro life Governor defending SGK, I thought he was a PRO CHOICE governor? Fucking flip flopping lying scumbag!

• 193 utaustinliberal
      February 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm

The other thing that cracks me up about his flip flopping is that he wants to defund Planned Parenthood yet his wife Ann Romney has donated to Planned Parenthood multiple times in the past. Thanks to the late GREAT Sen. Edward .M. Kennedy, the Obama team have so much footage of Romney’s flip flops, so much written evidence about his flip flops and because of the GOP clown race, so much new evidence. So, I encourage Willard to please continue in that vein. It just makes it easier to crush him come November.

33. 194 Zizi
    February 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Hi folks, I’m here at a talk by MSNBC’s Eugene Robinson at my university. Will tell y’all about it afterwards.

34. February 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Ok, Russ Feingold needs to sit down and STFU. He actually thinks the President and Dems should bring a toy gun to fight the nuclear weapons of the Republicans. This is why he lost. He can’t see out the box. If Republicans have Super Pacs who run ads 24/7. just how does Russ think the President should response? Well someone has taken Russ to the woodshed.

• 196 nintendowii10
      February 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm

And the emoleft worship him for fighting the President, yet it was Russ Feingold who NEEDED President Obama’s help to boost his low numbers in 2010 and STILL LOST! He lost because he sounds EXACTLY like a Republican on most issues, but continues the false claim he is a progressive Democrat! He’s a TRUE Democrat in Name Only (DINO) and needs to join the club of other DINOS like Ben Nelson and Evan Bayh!

• 198 tally
      February 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

He wants us to fight fire with spit and a straw, while the other side is pouring gasoline on our house.

• February 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Sabreen this is what I’m talking about. Where’s this big lecture to Republicans? No of course not. We have to stand on principle and if we lose the Presidency and The Senate for the next 30 years so what? Americans will put us on a pedestal because we stood our ground when it came to values.

Yeah right. And what’s Feingold doing to get The Supreme Court to reconsider? Is he hounding Boehner to make sure that a bill is introduced to overturn Citizens’ United? No of course not. Because the easiest thing in the world is to sit on the sidelines and lecture The President. It makes for good cable chatter and besides Arianna will give him a well deserved pat on the head while she shares a laugh behind his back with her Republican buddies.

Go away Russ.

35. February 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I guess Gingrich is already to speak, only moments away, that’s what CNN little box in the corner says!

36. 206 Linda
    February 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Question :

Does anyone know if these Catholic Institutions that do not want to cover birth control in their insurance plans cover vasectomy’s ???

37. February 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Any bets Lt Choi still votes for Robney?

February 7, 2012 at 6:32 pm

All those screaming about Russ Feingold…need to read this :) Incomparable Deaniac…

39. February 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

On CNN, they have some Black guy covering Ron Paul tonite!
    Isn’t that cute?

40. February 7, 2012 at 6:36 pm

During the GE, this will all come out!

41. 226 nintendowii10
    February 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Reverend Al is backing the President on the SUPER PAC issue and speaking facts. Mr. Feingold needs to listen to Reverend Al and quit taking money from the Koch Bros to attack the President (if that is true).

42. February 7, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Mitt Romney’s latest line of attack against President Obama is that the administration is “using Obamacare to impose a secular vision on Americans who believe that they should not have their religious freedom taken away.” He’s launched a petition against the administration’s new regulation requiring employers and insurers to offer coverage for women’s contraception.

Romney’s attack has been called an “outright lie”—and it certainly doesn’t square with his own record as Massachusetts governor, when he stood behind a state law that required all FDA-approved contraception, including emergency contraception, must be covered.

In other words, Romney is attacking President Obama for providing women with the very same access to contraception and preventive care that Romney did as governor of Massachusetts. It’s another breathtaking example of Romney’s hypocrisy—and his willingness to do and say whatever he thinks it takes to get elected.

This infographic shows that the Massachusetts law and the federal law are nearly identical. Share it widely.

Good stuff!

• 229 utaustinliberal
      February 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Hypocrisy, thy name is Romney. It’s as though he doesn’t think before he speaks. He championed a law in MA that’s nearly identical to the Obama administration’s mandate and yet he cries foul. Jeez; his campaign advisers need to tell him to STFU.

Nah……scratch that. Keep talking Willard. It just makes it that much more easier to crush you come November.

February 7, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I guess Romney has decided that being President is more important than his soul, because this man will say or do anything if he thinks it will help him. Meaning he will lie his soul right to hell.

• February 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm

he really shouldn’t be talking about religion right now. Didn’t a poll show that 20% of respondents wouldn’t vote for a Mormon? You would think he could keep his trap shut so as not to remind good ol’ gun loving, bible thumpers that he’s of the LDS.

February 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm

So. Karen Handell resigned from Koman? Good riddance.

44. 233 nintendowii10
    February 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I’m getting fed up of seeing Dylan RATigan’s commercials for his “Jobs” tour. Wasn’t he the one ranting AGAINST the American Jobs Act last fall and was EXPOSED by one of the Occupy folks as taking money from Wall Street? He needs to go away!

45. 239 nintendowii10
    February 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Bill Press has a book about all the negative attacks on the President and who they come from… I wonder if Olberloon, Feingold, and any of the emoleft losers are in there?

February 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I think this needs to make the rounds!!

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2012/02/07/mitt-romney-and-voter-supression/ Little, slimey, POS.

47. February 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I guess Msnbc is not covering these primaries and caucuses, but CNN has their whole team ready to go!

February 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm

MSNBC is depressed because their boy Romney blew his double-digit lead to Santorum (not MSNBC’s favorite), so instead they have Tweety and Morning Joke pushing the Catholics/contraceptive nontroversy.

February 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Have Tweety mention that new book which just come out from a woman who said she had a affair with JFK when she was 19.

• 244 Bill
          February 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Not yet, Anniebella, maybe he hasn’t heard about it yet. We need him to tell us all about JFK’s leadership again.

48. 245 tally
    February 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm

The best thing about this SuperPac THING is it dispels the BIG GOP LIE that PBO has had a billion of them, and that Goldmen Sachs was the BIG DADDY funder.

That, for me, is #EPICWIN. :D

• February 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I concur, Tally. POB always is thinking and always a step ahead of them. I think this will keep the GOP heads spinning now for sure. Smart move, I think by POB. Love our President. HZ

49. 247 Proud of Obama
    February 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I support President Obama with the decision to use a super pac 100%. And I admire him for having the guts to fight. So I’m fighting with him all the way. Losers like Feingold can suck a rotten egg.

On this contraception issue, Sebelius made this announcement two weeks ago and the church is just now getting “outraged?” This is a staged phony issue that they rolled out because the Pres’ poll numbers are soaring and the economy is doing great. They rolled this ugly smear out right after the great jobs report. They are so evil.

February 7, 2012 at 7:16 pm

You are so right about this Proud. It kills me to see the media get away with this crap time after time, while people blame the President or his administration as being bad at “messaging.”

50. 249 Proud of Obama
    February 7, 2012 at 7:16 pm

New Reuters poll. PBO looking good.

A new survey released by IPSOS Public Affairs and sponsored by Reuters shows the president outpolling both Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich in hyopthetical general election matchups.

In the nationwide poll of registered voters, Obama bests Romney 48 percent to 42 percent, making it the third consecutive IPSOS survey in which the president tops the former Massachusetts governor. Obama fares even better against Gingrich, winning the matchup 50 percent to 38 percent.

The IPSOS poll reflects the TPM Poll Average, which shows Obama steadily separating himself from Romney since the beginning of the new year.

51. February 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I just want to say hello to Fred and Mom. ((((((((((((Hugs to Mom, Fred.))))))))))))) Candles were going last evening for my TOD Family. I pray that there are healing angels surrounding you and Mom, Fred. Love you.HZ

• February 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm

HZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is so wonderful to have you back. Lots of love and prayers have been sent your way. Keep that beautiful heart under control!!! All your wonderful comments were missed.

Also prayers for Fred and her mom. You are thankful for each day you have with your parent, but I also know it is not easy caring for them. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• February 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hi mtmarilyn. So wonderful to hear from you as well. How are you doing. I hope that will be a great!. Yes, I am back. It was very difficult to be away. No computers and then the stress did not help the situation.

However, I am grateful to be alive and to be able to get the computers repaired. I am also grateful to be able to reconnect with my beautiful TOD Family and my beautiful Chips. This home gave me so much joy in my return to you all. Thanks for keeping the love coming my way. I love you all very much.

I watched our wonderful President, and all of the hearings etc., on C-SPAN. Stressed a little, but took the orders from my doctors to rest. I have to obey in order to be able to do my little tasks when and where needed to help in any manner that I can to get POB reelected. We will do this. I get so nervous at times, but then I cry, yell, pray, light the candles, and talk to my best friend. We all will make it through this long journey. However, it will be worth it all in the end. I love you all very much.HZ

52. February 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I just saw a blurb on Nightly News about Michelle Obama’s appearance on Jimmy Fallon tonight. I see that Chipsticks is already on top of this. :)

I normally don’t watch his show, but based on Michelle’s facial expressions, this may just be priceless. (plus she clocks Jimmy upside the head with a ball…lol) Oh who am I fooling…If Michelle Obama is on anything, I’m watching it. ;)

53. 259 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm

The fastest path to overturning Citizens United is #LandslideOBAMA2012 #LandslideDEMS2012. Our team would be totally stupid to not leverage the hell out of Citizens United to ensure that scale of victory. Never, ever go into any type of fight not knowing what your enemy’s capabilities are and that you can exceed them, massively. Otherwise, you’re dead.

#PRESSON

54. February 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm

CNN says these primaries are Americas choice.

How Republican!

55. February 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Where did everybody go?

CNN said Colorado turnout is way down!

56. February 7, 2012 at 8:21 pm

If he weren’t killing babies, this would be a lot funnier.

Israeli newspaper Haaretz on Tuesday reported that Anonymous hacked the office of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and dumped hundreds of emails online, including damning prep notes for Assad’s December 2011 ABC News interview with Barbara Walters, in which a press officer encouraged bringing up America’s police response to the “Occupy Wall Street” protests as well as America’s “policy to torture people,” as counter-examples against allegations of Syrian regime-ordered killings.

Seventy eight inboxes of Assad staffers were compromised, according to the newspaper, including several that used the password “12345,” one of the most-common but obviously least secure passwords possible.

57. February 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Jonathon Alter is an ass. He’s on Ed’s show saying that even with PBO now holding his nose and going with SuperPACs, it won’t level the playing field because Soros isn’t gonna be giving PBO any money. He said the Dems have no chance of matching the repugs and their PAC money. He’s downplaying small donors and bundlers for PBO then comparing it to Koch money on the right. He says it’s frightening- how Koch’s are trying to buy government. Ezra said that maybe PBO won’t have as much money as Willard and his superPACs, but PBO will have a lot of money, probably close to that Billion dollar mark.

February 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm

lisa, I caught that Alter jackass and you can tell he has become anti-Obama. I don’t even like listening to anything thing he has to say. What’s up with Ed tonight? He are having these jackasses on his show tonight, Jonathon Alter and Dan Choi.

• February 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm

as soon as i saw the tease for the prop 8 story, i switched over to ION. i will not subject myself to that ingrate.

• February 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm

When I heard Alter and Choi were going to be on we turned the channel. I can’t stand listening to either one of them.

• February 7, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Lisa and Mtmarilyn, I threw the remote after hearing a few words, then I decided to turn it completely off and went and ordered some more journals to write our great TOD news, prayer requests, and meditations for POB, FLOTUS, VPOTUS, and Dr. Biden and the entire Cabinet.

After watching the hearing with Attorney General Holder, I was so pissed, but AG Holder told them where to go. Love AG Holder. We will all need to lift each other up daily and especially POB and his entire staff and Administration. Just say something positive, peaceful, and ask for the Higher Power to give him wisdom each moment of the day. That is how I start my day for him and VP Biden. If we all just ask or speak one good and powerful thing daily and send those thoughts his way, just think of all of that great good energy that will be flowing in his path. Let us get it done along with all of the other work that we are doing to help get him reelected.HZ

RSS OFA