Feb

afternoon all

Steve Benen: …. It’s a safe bet the Bishops won’t be satisfied, but it’s a pretty straightforward fix: religiously-affiliated employers that don’t want to pay for contraception coverage as part of their benefits packages won’t have to, but these employees will still get the coverage because the White House will instruct insurers to pick up the costs.

…. several major stakeholders in this fight have already offered praise for the White House move. Planned Parenthood, for example, endorsed the compromise …. Similarly, EMILY’s List said it was “reassured” by the new policy, and NARAL Pro-Choice America’s statement struck a similar note.

What’s more, Sister Carol Keehan and the Catholic Health Association have also endorsed the administration’s position, which not only offers the White House some political cover, but also further isolates the Bishops…..

For the White House, having support from both the Catholic Health Association and Planned Parenthood was critical…..

Full post here

Greg Sargent: …. the Obama team is betting that any further objections to this policy will unmask opponents primarily as hidebound foes of birth control at any costs, a politically difficult position to sustain, rather than as defenders of religious liberty. Indeed, this looks like an effort to reframe the debate to Obama’s advantage: If Team Obama has its way, the argument will now be about whether all women should have access to contraception, and not about whether these institutions are having their religious freedom impinged upon.

More here

For those who freaked out about a major compromise with the Catholic church (eh, me):

When will I ever learn?

Don’t miss Liberal Librarian’s first post at The People’s View – it’s predictably brilliant

President Obama signs the Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2012 as former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly look on. The bill was the last piece of legislation on which Giffords voted before she resigned in January, a year after she sustained a gunshot wound to the head.

TPM

First lady Michelle Obama high-fives the Dallas Cowboys mascot Rowdy as she arrived at the Kleberg-Rylie Recreation center in Dallas

Michelle Obama judges food, along with assistant White House chef and food initiative coordinator Sam Kass and “Top Chef” judge Tom Colicchio, during a taping of the TV cooking show “Top Chef” in Dallas

372 Responses to “afternoon all”

1. 1 auni
    February 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm

NO! Am I first!!!

2. 3 LOL
    February 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Second..or third

3. 6 JoJothecat
    February 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm

STOP TURNING OUR PRESIDENT’s HAIR WHITE….HE’S GOT THIS! WHEN WILL BE LEARN?

4. 9 Don
    February 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I was robbed!!! again

5. February 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Ok, am I the only one a little bit freaked out by the Dallas Cowboys mascot? I think I’ll have some weird dreams tonight.

6. February 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

love it. thx for the egg splat pic, chips. :)

• February 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Sorry amk, I can hardly see your message, I still have egg in my eyes :???: To be honest, it kills me that any ground was given at all to the Catholic ‘leaders’, but all that matters here is that their employees’ contraception costs will be covered. Now, let’s wait to see if they’ll reveal themselves on this and show that – in 2012 – they still can’t handle women having control of their bodies.

• February 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm

LOL. Love ya.

At the end of the of it all, it’s them who lost their collective faces. fuck tweety.

• February 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Well if they follow Santorum’s lead they will still be against contraception for ANY reason – illness, rape, incest, life of the mother. The ultra right asswipes should have to have at least 8 hours of intense labor pains.

• 22 Cha
          February 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The repubs want babies coming out of women no matter what but they will not give them a helping hand to feed them if needed. Fuck ‘em if they can’t handle reality. They’re insane.

• February 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I do so want to have Santorum be the face of the GOP for as long as possible. He is so smarmy, so misogynist, so hateful, so weaselly and such a throwback to another era that he is the perfect poster boy for all their right-wing extremism. I want him to keep spouting all his anti-women positions and all his backward views on marriage and his anti gay bigotry and I want him to flout his ignorance on economic policy and his great hulking dumbness on military policy. Then I want the great American public to stand up tall and smack him back so far he never pollutes the US political scene again.

• 24 gn
        February 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

The brilliance of what was done here is that POTUS did not give ground to anyone nor did he demonize his opponents. He simply has made people who are behaving irrationally with regards to women’s reproductive health choices *irrelevant* to those choices. What they believe simply doesn’t matter now with regards to a very necessary public policy, and thus they’re free to believe it. Won’t affect access to birth control one whit, so free country. This is leadership, and this is how a country, whipped into division and armed camps, heals.

• 25 donna dem 4 obama
          February 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

“POTUS did not give ground to anyone nor did he demonize his opponents. He simply has made people who are behaving irrationally with regards to women’s reproductive health choices *irrelevant* to those choices”

****BINGO**** GN.

• 26 Lovepolitics2008
          February 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

GREAT comment gn.

And you know what? I think you’re touching the core of President Obama’s success. He fights for what is right but he is NOT practicing the politics of confrontation for confrontation’s sake. He never adds negative energy to a debate. Firm and refusing any bull**, always acting with a moral compass, and NEVER demonstrating hate or meanness. And in the long run, he WINS, in the most elegant and dignified way possible.

I can never say enough how much I admire and love this man ( in the political sense of course lol !)

• February 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love this comment. So true.

• 28 gn
            February 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm

This couldn’t be better said. I have NEVER in my life seen a politician more skilled at threading the “your rights end at my nose” needle. He respects disagreement and is vigorously preservative of that disagreement, but where people’s “beliefs” are unjustifiably imposing onerous restrictions on others, he lovingly draws a line with no negativity or hate towards anyone. Just stellar leadership, just excellent. I was hoping that someone like this would come onto the national stage, and here he is in the WH. I’d crawl over ground glass to make sure that he and Michelle stay there for four more years.

• 29 Betsy
            February 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Well said, well said lovepolitics2008!

• 31 susanne
          February 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm

so true! only 3 years into his presidency, pbo has proven himself to be the finest leader in the world. four more years!!!

• 32 nathkatun7
          February 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Exactly! Good to see you back GN! I missed your brilliant commentaries.

• February 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

But Chips, that’s the beauty of it. Any ground that he gave was purely cosmetic. The real attack was against any contraceptive coverage in the ACA. He just gave them an aikido throwdown, using his adversaries’ own momentum against themselves. If they offer contraceptive coverage in their health plans, wonderful; but, if they don’t, women will still have free access to that care, and the employers that don’t offer it directly will look like they hate women. The bigger picture is the war against women that’s been waged by conservatives since the 1970s; in that war, this was a major victory.

• February 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Spot on LL, as ever. My biggest mistake on this was to lose sight of the goal, ie that women have their contraceptive costs covered – I was too blinded my desire to see the Catholic ‘leaders’ told to go **** themselves. See? It’s really just as well PBO is President and not me.

• February 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Chips, if you wish, I can arrange a meeting with teh pope. :)

• 37 Frenchie08
            February 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm

That is why I love you so much Chips. You are so honest and intropspective. When you profess your so-called short commings, (whic are sooooo few compared to my own) you grow even that much more in my eyes; as it that was at all possible. You do more than provide a safe place for us to love the President, you teach by example. Thank you for all that you do!

• 38 Frenchie08
              February 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Excuse me, which and as if.

• February 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Oh Frenchie, you’re very forgiving of my hot-headed-ness, thank you so much! Next time I’ll take a deeeeeeeeep breath before I start typing, and I’ll try to engage my brain. Thanks again Frenchie.

• 40 nathkatun7
              February 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Lovepolitics2008, This is really a great Comment! You captured so well the true essence of President Obama’s style of governing. Clearly, this is why during the 2008 campaign he was depicted as the “No Drama” candidate.

• 41 nathkatun7
              February 10, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Thank you, Frenchie08, for this comment. I absolutely co-sign everything you said. Chipsticks is truly a treasure. Her humanity shines through in everything she does.

• 42 jeff
          February 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I love Aikido myself, used to practice it and will probably be taking it up again.

Its a great analogy and Obama uses it through words and deeds so effectively.

• 43 tally
          February 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm

And the only way to not offer birth control, is to not offer Rx pretty much, because the employer doesn’t dictate the formulary, the insurance company does – and must to cover their own asses due to malpractice lawsuits.

• 46 Bill
        February 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Chips, I don’t see that any ground was given. Contraception costs are still being paid by the insurance provider not the insured. And the bishops and Republicans were punked.

• February 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hi Bill, I was just referring to, as Steve Benen put it, the fix here – ie that “religiously-affiliated employers that don’t want to pay for contraception coverage as part of their benefits packages won’t have to”. As I said to LL, I was too blinded in all of this by my desire to see the Catholic ‘leaders’ put in their place, rather than focussing on the important issue: ie that women’s contraceptive costs are covered. Which they are. It’s a beautiful day.

• 49 tally
            February 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm

PBO telling the bishops they don’t have to pay for something they never had to pay for makes me cry from laughing so hard.

• 50 smoothscotch
              February 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Tally, that made me laugh so hard I almost lost my mouthful while eating my lunch. lol

• February 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Tally, thanks for the real story. At first I thought, PBO was sticking it to insurers and we would hear some outcry from that source. But now I see he didn’t change anything, just rearranged a few words to describe a situation that had been true all along. Now that is genius. I doubt there were a handful of people in the room who got it. I wonder if the bishops themselves understood how they got marginalized. But I bet Sister Carol Keehan did. She’s probably been used to manipulating male hypocrites for a very long time.

• 52 nathkatun7
              February 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm

There you go again, Tallym with your brilliant self! I am thankful that I was not yet drinking my usual Friday glass of wine because I would have ruined my key board & monitor by laughing so hard and spilling wine all over.

• 53 tally
          February 10, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Bill you nailed it.

• 54 miss pat
        February 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

We have to do is stay calm, cool and collected like the President. But it’s hard when idiots are screaming and telling lies and half truths. We can breathe a sigh of relief and get ready for the next bull ****.

• 55 nospin
        February 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

hey it is all good Chips. That is why we support each other. I believed enough for the both of us.

7. 56 Don
    February 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Stop it Mitt, stop embarrassing yourself.

8. February 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

That’s ok Chipsticks. Everyone is entitled to a “freakout”, oohhhhh, twice a year.

He does indeed “HAVE THIS”!!!!!

• February 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Ha, thank you Sabreen – that means I only have one rant left for all of 2012. :???:

• 65 PoliticalJunkessa
        February 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

It’s okay Chips — you still provided EXCELLENT coverage in between the rants :lol: !

February 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Chips, I’m donating you my two rants because as owner and maintainer of this lovely blog, I think you’re more than entitled to have a rant every now and then so you now have THREE! I’m sure you won’t need all three – but this is an election year so just in case!!! :) :)

• February 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Heh, no more rants here. Especially from chips. i”m putting my foot down.

/ducks and runs.

• February 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm

You’re going to regret that kind offer Hopefruit :lol: Okay, I have two left in the bank!!

February 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

HAHA! Unlike Mitt bull, I’m not a flip-flopper. I’m a TODer of my word.

The rants will come in handy in the silly summer season when there will be one controversy after another when Mitt Bull is 20 points down in the polls and the GOPMEDIA needs a “story” to bring PBO down!!

• February 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Chips, you will NEVER acquire self-discipline if people keep bailing you out. Now I know you are worthy, but I expect you to decline all offered rants from this point forward.

Note to hopefruit: ENABLER!!!

• 71 nathkatun7
            February 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Two rants in the bank are not enough! This is only February. We still have nine more months before the election. I think you are entitled to more than that. In the spirit of love togetherness I am willingly donating four of my rants. With all that you do for us, I think six rants (hopefruit’s two and four of mine) should allow to say exactly what’s on your mind.

9. 72 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

A moment of thanks ;)

And, Ms Chipsticks, you’re a truly honorable, humble person.

#PRESSON

• February 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

You shouldn’t BWD, you should be saying “you dick, take a deep breath before you rant again” … but you’re way too nice to do it. ;-)

• February 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Don’t beat yourself up Chips, you care deeply about this issue as we all do. The media did a great job of stirring this big cauldron of nothing to a boiling point.The president has once again demonstrated why we work so hard for this man and you, chips, have provided many of us with daily consolation and sanctuary from the loony tunes that is our MSM.Thanks from the bottom of my formerly Catholic heart.

February 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Chips rather than egg on your face the egg should be on Tweety, LOD, and Mourning Joke’s faces! After all it was they who’ve been going at this for the whole damn week, not you.

• 77 JoJothecat
          February 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Oh Chips, you know we love you, so stop beating up on yourselve and beat up on some of the REAL trolls. Besides, PBO still looks handsome with all that grey hair you caused over this..snark/ducks and runs behind amk hiding behind his wife.

• February 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Heh, I can outrun my wife. Anytime.

February 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Everyone likes and need to know that what they do is appreciated every no and then. Chipsticks thank you for all you do. I, We all appreciate you.

• 80 HZ
              February 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Chips, my compassionate Chips, you are so loved, appreciated, and respected for being you. That is what I love about you. You share your thoughts, your have your core connected to your caring heart and brilliant brain, and when that mixture is exercised, the world is a better place.

I love you our beautiful Chips. Your gifts to all of us are sooooooooooooooooooo appreciated. {{{{{{{{{Love you, Chips}}}}}}}}HZ

• 82 nathkatun7
          February 10, 2012 at 8:08 pm

You Speak Truth, hopefruit!

• February 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Chipsticks – the fact that you’re still here after seeing toxic nonsense from trolls every day, giving us somewhere to come and freak out, be encouraged, speak our minds, make mistakes – it says a lot about your mental strength. I couldn’t do it. I have to go sit down when trolls are uncovered by the TOD folks, just to calm myself. You see this stuff every single day, and yet you still come back. Thank you! Enjoy the victory!

10. February 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m looking at Mittsy trying to convince the CPackers that he has some red meat in his back pocket. He musta hired some people to raise the applause sign. His whole speech is nothing but Lutz focused group talking points.

• 86 utaustinliberal
      February 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

You’re absolutely correct. It’s as though he ran a couple of lines through a focus group and decided to trot them out. He just looked like a phony. In addition to looking like a phony, his ramblings made no sense.

11. February 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

He’s awesome. I hate him.

12. 94 Bill
    February 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Willard is not wowing the CPAC crowd which all the pundits have said was necessary.

• 95 Lorraine
      February 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

This man is tone deaf! He actually believes he can bash President Obama and win. Less is more, flip floppy.

13. 96 gn
    February 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Those colors on FLOTUS look absolutely beautiful, and I always love her shoes.

(The media is going to take us on a roller coaster ride, including the so-called left netroots, if we let them–they need ratings and page clicks to make money from ads, and nontroversies do that for them. BUYER BEWARE. I never read trash like dkos or HuffPo anymore for this exact reason).

• 97 utaustinliberal
      February 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm

It looks like a twin version of the outfit she wore on Jay Leno. She’s such a powerhouse – smarts, beauty, grace, charm, and a wicked sense of fashion.

14. 98 Claire
    February 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm

As a cradle Catholic (as my mom likes to say) I knew without a doubt that our intelligent, stay calm, pragmatic President would handle the bigoted bishops and the phony media freaks by again letting them know that there is an adult running this country. President Obama is the BEST president this country has ever had. Yes, I said the BEST ever!

15. February 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Mitt says that he’s the only candidate that hasn’t worked in Washington. He fails to say that it’s because he lost his bid to become a senator as a stepping stone to the WH. btw, do the Dems have an equivalent CPAC conference? If so, is it covered this extensively?

16. 104 Don
    February 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Romney is on fire!

17. February 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

OK, the Rasmussen snapshot gave me a chuckle.

if RAS says it’s 10 points, you know it’s 15

18. February 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Rowdy the Clown/Mascot/Whatever-the-hell-he-is, looks like a young GW.

19. 115 Claire
    February 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Oh yeah, I LOVE our FLOTUS!!!!!!!!!!!

20. 116 Debz
    February 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I heard everyone here had temporarily lost their minds, glad I missed it. Never doubt our President. The tweet from Bruce Knight is perfect!!

21. February 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Loved the imagery of brucubknight tweet. Kaboom. Indeedy/

22. February 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Uh oh, he lost the crowd when he touched the third rail of changing social security. He got off of that one pretty quickly, pivoted right away to bashing PBO.

23. 130 auni
    February 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Kathleen Sebelius is a wonderful combination of smarts and grace. She speaks in such a calm, intelligent, and charming way–so glad she is on our team! She and our Dear President represent the very best in our nation. Wouldn’t it be nice if the “hair on fire” righties would be able to respond in kind–with some rational dialog—-never happen!!

24. February 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

@Anne_Savage is a good follow on twitter check out her work http://revolutionaryviews.com/obama_poster.html

25. 135 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

All I have to say is ……..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HERE AT TOD “WE’RE SOLID, SOLID AS BARACK” <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Let's all hold hands and sing together now – "A strong foundation, the future looks hot hot hot hot hot"

Solid as Barack – Ashford and Simpson

• 136 debbyeOh
      February 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Ladyhawke, that was beautiful…I’d never seen it before. I love, love, love my my President! ! He is truly solid, and we here at TOD all have his back!

• 138 susanne
      February 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm

yes, yes, yes! thanks, ladyhawke, for giving us this musical boost. i was dancing away here in my chair, just feeling all the toddies rocking out in front of their computers at the same time–staying together!

brick by brick–yes. bricks are hard and they are heavy, but many hands make light work. the hands are all here, clicking away at our computers, and making a difference every day. thank you chips!

26. February 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

CNN said it was a walk back.

It was not a walk back, it was a walk forward!

27. 147 LOL
    February 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

LMAO…..I switch to Mittens big speech…and there is like 8% of the people there standing and applauding at one of his poll tested lines.

28. 148 PoliticalJunkessa
    February 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I LOOOOVE Michelle’s outfit — gorgeous color combo. Go FLOTUS, Go FLOTUS!

29. February 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm

30. February 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Does Willard realize he’s digging his political grave a little deeper with this speech? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much material for attacks ads in the general election culled into one little speech.

He basically told public sector worker they will lose their jobs, and younger people they won’t be able to live long enough to see the meager retirement he has planned for them.

Well done Mittens.

31. February 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

The Knight just took the Bishop LOL! Obama/Biden 2012

• February 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Technically, the Black Knight just took all the White Bishops and Pawns.

Oh, and it’s Checkmate, but you won’t find that out for another three moves.

Good luck. See you next match. =)

32. February 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

33. February 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Our Prez came out, stands in front of the microphones with a big beaming smile, actually even laughing a bit. :-)
    No one, and I mean no one can intimidate our guy. Has heard all the noise and rancour,but came out looking relaxed,said what he had to say and moved on.

Where did this genius come from I keep asking myself? What a man, what a mighty fine man! He has now left the morons on the right to further twist themselves into pretzel-like knots…if thats even possible. :-)

34. February 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel Poneman toured Dow Kokam’s new global battery research and development center, located in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, outside of Kansas City, to highlight America’s investments in cutting-edge energy innovations that are laying the building blocks for an American economy built to last.  The R&D center aims to bring next-generation lithium-ion battery solutions to the market faster, increase battery performance and reduce their overall cost. Lithium batteries are used in a variety of everyday products from laptops to cell phones, but an improved battery could also significantly increase the charge capacity of hybrid electric vehicles, and energy storage systems of wind and solar power generators.

“Forward looking battery manufacturing facilities like Dow Kokam’s in Missouri are helping American workers to compete in the fast-growing advanced battery and energy storage industry,” said Deputy Secretary of Energy Poneman. “We at the Department of Energy are proud to support 30 new advanced battery and electric vehicle component plants and their efforts to develop new technologies and create jobs.”

35. February 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Ok, more blog pimping. My post at TPV is up: http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2012/02/few-thoughts-from-lapsed-catholic.html

If you have the time, give it a look.

• February 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Wooooooooooot, heading there now!

• 163 collegekay
      February 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Excellent, LL. I’m reading it now.

• February 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

LL, words cannot express how happy I am today to be exposed once more to your brilliant writing. TPV readership is surely headed much higher. And Chipsticks, I wanna grow up to be more like you. Endless thank you’s!

• February 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm

The institutional Church had long been losing its authority on sexual morality; most Catholics ignored it on premarital sex and contraception, and polling of Catholics saw approval for abortion rights that mirrored that of the population at large. With its sex abuse coverup, it lost any last vestige of authority it had on that score. The chutzpah is amazing.

For a Protestant like me it’s all too easy to cheer this – but (as you allude to earlier in your article) I remember the Catholic Workers, who actually fed the hungry and clothed those without decent clothes, visited those in prison and helped others in need.

The gospel according to Matthew contains these very last (publicly spoken) words of Christ, and only the 19th century revolutionary movements would render this “socialist”.

• February 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Exactly. I grew up with people who took the teaching to look after the least of us as a life’s work. For that reason I can’t quite bring myself to castigate the entire Church, if you understand that word as the body of believers. But, I have no use for the hierarchy. One can claim that they do some good work, but their failure to protect children—who fall squarely into the category of “the least of us”, the ones who can’t defend themselves—vitiates any authority they had.

• February 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

This is fantastic work, Lib-Lib. The hypocrisy of them sticking their noses into women’s reproductive rights when their obligations should be to children molested by their brethren is beyond ridiculous. The energy expended on this manufactured outrage should put the Catholic church and it’s bishops to shame. The real outrage is that they haven’t done right by the children abused by pedophile priests for decades. Instead, they close ranks and engage in “musical parishes.”—Bastards. Hope they get what’s coming to them.

• 169 MTmarilyn
      February 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I checked it out LL!!! Brilliant as usual. We can now say we new you when!!!!

• February 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Okay, LL, you can’t see it, but I’m standing up and shouting Bravo, Bravo after reading your TPV post. Used to comment there, but my log on got screwed up and I haven’t taken the time to fix it. I’ll try again. Thank you for the great post!!!

• 171 Betsy
      February 10, 2012 at 9:29 pm

great read LL. Thanks.

36. February 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Wow, I’m glad you did the egg-on-face routine yourself …

When I entered this site at 7:30 CET this morning, I thought it was hijacked by trolls overnight …

Thanks for keeping the straight course to #Landslide2012 !

37. 178 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm

WILLARD IS “ANTI-CHOICE”

========================

At the CPAC Convention today, Willard Mitt Romney said “My presidency will be a pro-life presidency”.

38. February 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

39. 186 Debz
    February 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I must say, Gabby looks lovely in that photo, she looks so proud.

40. 187 collegekay
    February 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I absolutely adore my guy, PBO. Damn right he cares about women. He’s a genius. I am glad this notroversery is over.

41. February 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

February 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I love my President.

43. February 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Why is everybody watching cpac?

44. February 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm

In honor of POTUS being smarter than everyone, I’m donating to OFA today~ I hope others will also. :)

45. 208 CEB
    February 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

THAT’s MY President!

Another slam dunk, getting what he wanted for us from the get go. Why do so many still doubt and fear? I guess it is hard for some who have sufferred fear and disappointment to believe that sometimes the good guys can win.

As a life-long democrat, to paraphrase Henley, our heads have been bloodied, but they should be unbowed. We should get out of the habit of thinking that we are going to lose.

46. February 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

did y’all catch the end of PBO’s presser where some tool asked him what he’d learned from this? Was I the only one waiting for him to turn around and say: “yes, I learned that you fucktards are the biggest bunch of idiots alive.” :roll:

47. 220 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

ABOUT THAT WALL OF SEPARATION BETWEEN CHURCH AND STATE

Perhaps It’s Time to Start Taxing Churches

By Milt Shook

============

So, the Roman Catholic Chuch in the United States wants a special exemption in regulations governing health insurance, so that they don’t have to “pay for” contraception. Of course, as I pointed out in my previous post, it’s not their insurance, it’s their employees’, and they aren’t paying for it. It’s part of their compensation package.

I’m getting tired of phony religious nuts constantly trying to push their way into the political arena and make us accept their absurd superstitions. I’m not talking about truly religious individuals; those who truly believe what they claim tend to act in a way that makes you want to be like them. I’m talking about the fakes; the people who lack humility, and usually push political positions that actually go against their stated belief systems.

============

48. 221 anniebella
    February 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Look at the response FLOTUS is getting. These kids seem happy to see her. And she looks like she is having fun too. FLOTUS is the best.

49. 222 criquet
    February 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Hug this up GOP/Teathugs:

50. February 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm

51. 224 criquet
    February 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Message in a tweet for the GOP/Teathugs:

52. February 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Brilliant speech. So calm and commanding no less than I would expect from PBO. When all of us around him are losing our heads (I speak for myself here although I do totally trust him) he reminds me of the words of my favorite hymn at school

…….. speak through earthquake wind and fire oh still small voice of calm………

PBO is most definately that voice of calm that the whole world needs.

• 226 lovingandlaughing
      February 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

you said it, samuk. he is that voice of calm. i love how when we are all biting our nails wondering what he’ll say in a tense situation such as this contraception issue he steps up to the microphone and immediately puts viewers at ease with his calm and his smile and his even keel way of being. oh i am so proud of PBO. i felt like kathleen sebelius was thinking the same thing today as she stood beside him. she looked to me like she respected and was proud of her boss.

• 227 xtine
      February 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I’m happy. This morning on the “Rise & Shine” thread, I said:

I totally believe PBO has THIS, and with our total support, will deliver some comeuppance to those overreaching Bishops and their irrelevant Republican cohorts. Let them continue to have their romance with 1954 and MSM. Their posturing reeks of desperado in search of relevance.

53. 228 ed
    February 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

President Obama did a rope-a-dope on the repubs.

54. 231 Don
    February 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

My only problem with President Obama is that he to kicks ass on Friday and not Monday. I wish he kicked ass on Monday thereby giving us the entire week to enjoy the beauty of his ass-kicking. But when he kicks ass on Friday, I’m left with an empty feeling the whole weekend.

55. February 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm

WHOAAAAAAAAAA! This is going to send the GOP stark raving MAD!!!!!!!!!

Breaking News
    US Treasury Department: Budget deficit drops to $27 billion in January – @AP

on.msnbc.com/Af1imL

56. 256 Bill
    February 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Senator Roy Blunt has just said the change is nothing but an accounting gimmick and is not a solution. Between political positions from 1993-1996 Blount was President of Southwest Baptist University, his alma mater. In 2002 Blunt divorced his wife of 35 years and in 2003 married a Kraft Foods lobbyist. Good to know that this family values Baptist is looking out for women.

57. February 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm

A brief altercation broke out between Occupy Wall Street protesters and conservative activists at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday.

A group of Occupy protesters who infiltrated the hotel by registering and paying for the conference blocked a television screen where an overflow crowd was watching Mitt Romney address the convention, their mouths taped over to symbolize being silenced.

There was a brief clash between the protesters and conference-goers, who booed and yelled while shoving them out of the way. Security was summoned to the scene and escorted out the protesters, to the applause and cheering of the conservative activists.

58. 260 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Have I said how much I love Steve Benen lately?? These Friday posts on Willard and his penchant for lying are just terrific. There is an endless supply of material. Willard is a flip flopping pathological liar and Steve is one of the few people calling him out on it. The mendacity chronicled below does not include the CPAC convention mendacity. That will be covered next weeks roundup. Way to go Steve……

CHRONICLING MITTS MENDACITY

============================

1. Romney claimed, “We are the only people on the earth that put our hand over our heart during the playing of the national anthem. It was FDR who asked us to do that, in honor of the blood that was being shed by our sons and daughters in far-off places.”

This is both untrue and rather strange.

2. Romney argued in a speech, “You know, like his colleagues in the faculty lounge, who think they know better, President Obama demonizes and denigrates almost every sector of our economy.”

Asked to back that up, the Romney campaign pointed to President Obama’s criticism of Wall Street recklessness, insurance company abuses, and oil companies. If those three represent “almost every sector of our economy,” then Romney doesn’t understand the private sector as well as he thinks he does.

============================

59. 262 eveingeorgia
    February 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm

@LiberalLibrarian

What a great article. So proud for you, and so glad your writing is being noticed and appreciated. I left a comment for you at The Peoples View.

Cant wait for the next one!

60. 264 eveingeorgia
    February 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

@Chipsticks

Leave yourself alone, dear. Your honesty and humility are so refreshing. Your hard work on this site is a great service to all who come here.

I spent many anxious moments worrying that you would not be here this morning. That thought affected me more than I would have imagined. Rant all you want, but please don’t shut down. I can’t bear the thought.

61. 265 Don
    February 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I remember when I was very young; my older brother lit a fire-cracker and told me to hold it. He told me it wouldn’t hurt and that the only thing that would happen was that smoke would come out of the fire-cracker. I held it, and POW!, It popped in my hand, I started crying and went and told my mother what my brother had done. Later when the ice cream truck came around the neighborhood he bought me ice cream. President Obama does that same thing to the GOP, he lights fire-crackers and tells the GOP to hold them in their hands, but unlike me, the GOP doesn’t get any ice cream at the end of the day.

62. 268 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

#PRESSON

63. February 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Excellent article, LL. Have not commented for a while, but had to let you know how much I liked the article. Cool, sane and well written

64. 274 tally
    February 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

February 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm

66. February 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm

67. February 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Greece has a deal, no they don’t! Greece has a deal, oh wait a minute. Greece has a deal, finally, Not! Greece has a deal, meh!

These guys are pathetic…

68. 284 MK
    February 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I just spoke to my friend Tina at the White House. Congratulations to all who signed the WH petition in support of free coverage for contraceptives for women! Your voices were heard loud and clear and made the position of the women inside the White House who were strong proponents of this measure stronger too! So thanks.

• 286 MK
        February 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Jovie, it really does matter. Tina does the day to day work for the WH Council on Girls and Women. People’s voices really do get heard. They can point to them in staff meetings to say — the public is on our side. Stand with women and girls. So if you wrote in to the WH, thank you for helping to make today possible.

69. February 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Hi Everyone,
    First, after trying so hard to lose my faith in my president, he just told me to sit down & shut up…I Got This! Isnt he amazing?! I just love his checkmate, rope-a-dope, hand grenade throwing self! God, he is just the cat’s meow and then some! Love PBO!

Now, if this post has not already been posted. I would like to say I found it extremely helpful in getting focus on what is really important in this election cycle. I hope it passed around to some or your contacts. I found it energizing and informative since so many busy people dont get to come to this site and other blogs.

Ms. Chips, thanks so much for posting the PM of Ireland’s speech. I was in tears and have shared with lots of people. Also, I was swinging from the trees right with you at 1:00 a.m. I just could not go to bed I was so worked up.
    Anyway thanks for all you do for us.

70. 291 Don
    February 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I don’t know which is funnier, the Bishops having their asses handed to them or the Insurance companies being told by President Obama to cover the cost of contraceptives for free.

• February 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm

The contraceptive companies should chip into the campaign pot for all the free publicity they got today. :)

• 293 tally
      February 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

The insurance companies want more women on birth control. Like ALL preventative care, it’s cheaper than having a baby, and all the pre/postnatal care costs that come with that. It saves them money, so they can spend more of your premiums on the 85% of the health care they’re required by the ACA to spend on actual CARE.

71. 295 tally
    February 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm

• February 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Had to retweet that one. Brilliant. Reminds me of Stupak during the health care debate. give him a note saying the Hyde amendment which is the law of the land is the law of the land. Stupak actually thought he won something while the Congressional women in the room with The President could barely contain their laughter.

72. February 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Next week, the GOP goes back to deficit control, as the WH releases it’s budget.
    The GOP will grill several cabinet heads for budget requests. This is ridiculous.
    Placate the base, a little more.

73. February 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Ok. It’s 1:30 am here. I’m celebratory mood. Time to harass wifey. Gunnite folks.

74. February 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Ok.One more and I’m out.

75. 305 carolyn
    February 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for the video clip. I was out and couldn’t watch. I hate to say I told you so to the doubters, but I told you so in several posts yesterday. I said that any man who signed the Lilly Ledbetter bill into law, got DADT repealed, and countless more good things accomplished, would not suddently turn anti-woman and pro-bishop. I didn’t know how he’d do it, but I knew he’d do it. As I said, he LISTENS!!!
    He is a good man, heart and soul. This is so rare, that we hardly know how to handle it.

76. February 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I just wanted to say to fellow TOD member 57andFemale… that there were quite a handful of people on here who ‘panicked’, ‘had self doubt’ and ‘freaked out’… about the President compromising, and questioned how PBO would take the fight to the GOP, or quoted media as saying that PBO was going to cave and yet the President hadn’t even addressed the media yet lol So, I am sorry that you felt like folks scolded you regarding the contraception issue… but you were not alone. Maybe sometimes the tone in how people question you (and others) may seem like you are being scolded, however I hope you do not take that to heart, you know all too well how passionate we can get on TheObamaDiary with the fierce but respectful debates that we sometimes have on here lol but at the end of the day.. we are all here to support President Obama!! If people doubt President Obama in some way, we are here to correct any doubt you may have. It’s not to be rude, it’s to correct what media/pundits etc are spewing out in the World that is incorrect and not fact!

Anyway, I really hope that you continue to comment on future posts because you have had really good comments in the past that I have enjoyed reading :)

Chipsticks……….. you are totally THE BEST EVERRRRRRRRR!!! My birthday pic you made with President Obama holding the cake….. I saved it as my desktop wallpaper, its on my android and on my work computer ROFLMFAO!! :lol: I even saved it on my Twins iPhone! He thinks it’s cool I’m on here and said he will pay visits here too! My family have always said of all their children… I am the odd one out lol since I am the only hardcore NFL/NBA and ESPN junkie in the family (my brothers are starting to get into NFL/NBA now, and do wagers with me lol)… and to add Politics on top of it… my parents are starting to question whether they took home the right ‘Twin baby’ at birth lol That maybe an American family somewhere in the World has taken an NZ child by mistake who is a big fan of Rugby like they are :lol: It’s at the point that…anytime President Obama is in the news here and I’m around my family… they always yell out for me and say… “President Obama is on TV hurry up! You’re going to miss President Obama, hes on TV” LOL cracks me up that my family get behind my love for PBO :) :)

February 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Watching Bashir Live – gosh do I love that man’s brains – and he just showed the Herman Cain CPAC clip where Cain said “We must outsmart the Liberals! We must outsmart the stupid people!”

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha. How’s that for ROTFLMAO irony? He talks about outsmarting the stupid people; well Herb, look into the mirror. And tell your merry band of clowns to do the same.

78. 310 criquet
    February 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Facts the GOP can’t spin:

“And to some extent, there’s a personal factor. Look through the Pew Global Attitudes project data on confidence in the US president. In almost every country, you’ll see a dramatic or startling increase in confidence between 2008 and 2011. In Germany and France, George Bush had approval ratings in the low teens in 2008; Barack Obama’s approval has never dropped below 80%. In Japan and Britain the shift is nearly as striking. In Egypt, the corresponding figures are 11% and 35%. Even in Russia itself, they are 22% and 41%. When Hillary Clinton and Susan Rice try to win backing for American positions at the UN, the exceptional popularity of the president they represent in other countries is obviously a factor. Commentators who envision Barack Obama running on his foreign-policy successes in this year’s campaign generally adduce examples like the assassination of Osama bin Laden and the crippling of al-Qaeda. Perhaps these are the examples that figure most clearly in the American voter’s imagination. It would be nice, though, if voters evaluated presidents’ foreign policies on the basis of whether they had won the respect of the world and advanced American interests internationally. ”

79. February 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm

BuzzFeed’s Ben Smith notes that female Democratic Senators are furious at Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, hosts of MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe,’ for their opposition to the Obama Administration’s contraception mandate:

California Senator Barbara Boxer and New Hampshire’s Jeanne Shaheen both got in touch with MSNBC after the two hosts of the show that starts many politicos’ days were unanimous Monday in their criticism of the rule, which would require Catholic hospitals and other institutions to offer health care plans providing contraception to their employees…

“The women Senators are up in arms. They think the coverage is slanted, Mika is not doing enough to articulate their position, and they can’t get equal time,” a Democrat familiar with the situation told BuzzFeed.

Hmmm!

• February 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Mika is useless. She just lets Joe run roughshod over her. Of course, MSNBC won’t replace her, because if Joe had a cohost who swatted him down, he’d get a sad.

• February 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm

The thing that got me was that the Democrats said they could not get equal time, the coverage was slanted.
        On msnbc no less!

• February 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I really don’t know why Morning Joe still has a time slot. He’s low rated and a GOPosaur. Give the morning slot to Martin Bashir. That’s a show I would DVR.

• February 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm

“The thing that got me was that the Democrats said they could not get equal time”

That’s what I’ve been saying about the majority of issues. The Beltway media remains hardwired to the GOP. Now if Senator McLame so much as sneezes he’s going to get airtime.

February 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm

When ever I used to look at Morning Joke, which was years ago, I would see Mika sitting there with nothing to say. She act like some airhead Miss America sitting there, thinking she was cute. A waste of time.

80. 317 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

// begin rant

HOW LONG WILL THE MEDIA MILK THIS ACA CONTRACEPTION COVERAGE?

The little bit of cable that I have watched today shows that the media just doesn’t want to let go of this manufactured GOP controversy. President Obama’s announcement was brilliant. But you can tell that the media is really disappointed and deflated. They can’t accept that the GOP talking points about attacking religious freedom have bee demolished in such a tidy manner. Now what will they obsess about?

I just watched a segment with Tamron Hall interviewing Tim Kaine. She said to him I’m not trying to find blame, but how did we get here. You don’t have to name names, but did the White House miscalculate. Was there pressure from Democrats? Was that the reason for the announcement. Also, the Catholic bishops say it’s too soon to tell if this is acceptable. And I have several emails here on my computer from people who are not happy with this announcement. Roy Blunt says it’s just an accounting gimmick. She goes on ad nauseum wringing her hands. She just can’t understand how we got here. Might I suggest looking in the mirror Tamron? Stop playing dumb. You should be asking your colleagues in the media that question. The coverage was shameful. Most of you were accomplices in this charade.

This is just exhausting. Bottom line, President Obama drank the GOP’s milkshake. The announcement was brilliant it just makes sense. Now I am waiting for the GOP to do what they always do “move the goalposts”. The next manufactured controversy can’t be far away. Any distraction will do to keep the focus off of the improving economy.

// end rant

• 318 Don
      February 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I saw that same interview LadyHawke, Tamron just figured out that the joke was on the media. The GOP once again had the media carry the water for them, and she’s upset that they feel for the same trick again.

81. February 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

BOTTOM LINE….BARACK OBAMA REALLY IS THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE ROOM! Oh ye of little faith. Trust & believe…He’s GOT this.
    The Chessmaster punked them all AGAIN!

82. 320 Linda
    February 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Who is this Kristen Walker woman ?

She NEVER gets anything right……

83. February 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I think I’ve watched that 5 years video 10 times today. Just brilliant.

84. 324 auni
    February 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I was walking through the Denver airport a couple of days ago. My kids gave me President Obama’s book Dreams From My Father for my 70th birthday. Hadn’t read it yet. I was surprised that, out of the blue, two different people stopped me and commented on how much they loved the book–that seemed like an outstanding demonstration of how people feel about this President. I mean, how often do people do that sort of thing?

85. February 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Just ran out to do an errand and listening to Thom Hartmann who does a special hour just for Chicago listeners as he normally is taped. He called the President’s move “brilliant”. Coming from a man who had no problem being harshly critical of the President in the past (although he has softened lately) is high praise indeed.

86. February 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Recipient: Executive Office of the Virgin Islands

Award Amount: $4,782,469

The recipient reported that these Recovery funds would be used to:

Repave over 2 miles of asphalt roadway;
    Replace culverts and pipes along the roadway to prevent flooding;
    Install pedestrian signage and new road signs;
    And paint new yellow and white pavement striping.
    Project Status: More than 50% complete

To see how funds were distributed between the project’s prime and sub recipients and to learn more about the project, check out the Award Summary or enter your zip code to find Recovery projects near you.

87. 328 Linda
    February 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Dana Millbank and Luke Russert ….STFU

88. February 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Thanks again so much for all the articles, videos and updates, Ms Chips! So happy all is well here now, and everyone is happy! LL, that was a fabulous post at the “People’s View”, I shared it with everyone I know. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

89. 330 Don
    February 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Luke Russert gives off that snobbery private school vibe like his shit smells like potpourri.

90. 331 dotster3
    February 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Dana Milbank said it’s a real shame that President Obama got himself in this mess when things were going so well for him. Luke Russert said that Obama has had this problem before and he can’t believe that he was doing it again, dictating contraceptive policy to religious people—–or some such nonsense—-have run out of patience with Catholic Luke Russert’s deep thoughts on this subject—–and Dana Milbank always smirks when he has an opportunity—or thinks he does—-to kick sand on Obama and his policies. Actually, I am out of every teeny, tiny speck of patience with the whole lot of them.

• 332 Linda
      February 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Here is something that will make you laugh.

Tim Russert….who always rah rahed ” South ” Buffalo NY actually ended up living in the suburb of West Seneca.. Upper Middle Class.

There is a park there named after him where I used to often go to have lunch……it turned into a dog park with dog shit all over the place and stunk. There is even a statue of Tim there.

• 333 Ladyhawke
      February 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Newsflash to the feckless media in this country:

IT’S NOT A CAVE IF YOUR OPPONENTS AREN’T GETTING WHAT THEY ACTUALLY WANT.

Obama Birth Control Rule Change: Why It’s Not a Cave

—By Nick Baumann

=========================

The policy change still won’t satisfy the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, which opposed the birth control provision from the start. It’s not a cave if your opponents aren’t getting what they actually want. What the bishops desire is for the entire birth control rule to be repealed. They believe that no employer—religious affiliation or not—should be required to offer birth control coverage.

The most important reproductive rights groups—Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice America, the American Civil Liberties Union, and so on—all support the policy shift. You can bet that these politically savvy groups would be hollering to high heaven if they thought that women had been betrayed.

==========================

91. February 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Hello all my Friends!!! Just heard the great news of how our great President punked the media and associated eggheads again! When will these folks learn? I will never understand why they even try!!! I stopped watching Moring Joke and little Meme a while back, and even though I do not like CNN either, I started watching Soledad, because I least I can tell she is on the President’s side! Please everyone have a blessed and joyful weekend…pray for my patients and their families who I work for…some are very sick and frail….Be blessed my TOD family and much love to all!!!

92. February 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm

P.S. Chipsticks, I do not know what I would do without this great site!!! Bless you from the bottom of my heart!!!! You make my day happy!!!

93. 336 Dakota
    February 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I have an engagement this evening so I went on my lunch hour to get a manicure. They had CNN on the television…Ben Stein running his trap and two other “women” who’s names I blocked out. It took super-human strength to control myself from shouting obscenities at the televison. What a bunch of whining, delusional losers! But it’s ok, because every time my President puts his foot up their asses, it brings me JOY!

I should have just taken the extra time and went to my regular shop…they have the Sci-Fi channel on all the time and I’ll never complain about it again.

94. 337 LDS
    February 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm

LL, once again your words of wisdom is beyond brilliance. You have such a gifted way of expressing yourself because it is honest, truthful and from the heart. Thank you for sharing and helping me to understand why a lot of my fellow brothers and sisters who were Catholics are now sitting beside me in the pews of their new home of worship. And I am so grateful that they did not lose their faith in God when man let them down.

Their focus is on the one and only God who created us all our of His own image, not man’s image.

On another note, our President just continues to do what he does best and that is BE THE BEST!
    The calmness, the class, the genuine focus. They can call him Obama, Barry, that one all they want. But when he leaves the podium, they know that Mr. President just left the room.
    And when he slaps the podium, I am done! Until the next speech.
    I just knew that he was going to slap the taste out of their mouths…..and he did just that. He called them out even the pundits, MSM and their momma……Checkmate,bishops. He is playing chess while they are still playing checkers……no, more like marbles. Bumping heads and spinning around saying stupid stuff. They are going to start telling on each other and I for one cannot wait.

Michelle is having fun and the kids are enjoying her energy. A good day to be alive and in Tod’ville.
    Love you, Chips and TOD family.
    LET’S seriously STAY TOGETHER!

95. February 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

OK, lovely TOD family – I am off to bed.

Have to rise at 5:30 tomorrow to catch a plane to Las Vegas, Nevada (home to all those evil illegal brown immigrants – snark).

I will be attending the 197st meeting of the Fortran Standardization Committee (http://j3-fortran.org).

On the side, I’ll try to stimulate the local economy: The Gandhi restaurant run by people from India, the local liquor store run by Iraqi’s, the Latina’s who make our rooms, the taxi drivers who seem to have 1 nationality per taxi, etc …

Note that the Fortran Standardization Committee is a white, male, 50+ only club (almost).
    :-)

96. 341 tally
    February 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Have a feeling this is going to die pretty quickly once THE CHURCH™ figures out that President Obama gracefully allowed them to save face by pretending to allow them something.

THE CHURCH™ must have someone with brains enough to realize this was starting to be a PR nightmare of epic proportions (hot on the heels of and bigger than the Komen debacle) when the Bishops overreached with their, “NO EMPLOYER should be forced to offer birth control” idiocy.

97. February 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm

REPORT: By A Nearly 2 To 1 Margin, Cable Networks Call On Men Over Women To Comment On Birth Control
    By Faiz Shakir and Adam Peck on Feb 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm

TP interns Zachary Bernstein and Fatima Najiy conducted the research for this report.

President Obama’s regulation mandating that health insurance plans offer free birth control is an issue that most directly affects women. And yet, the cable news chatter over this controversy has been driven mostly by men, according to a new ThinkProgress analysis.

From Monday through Thursday evening, the leading cable news channels – Fox, Fox Business, MSNBC, and CNN – invited almost twice as many men as women onto their shows to discuss contraceptive coverage.

Out of a total of 146 guests who discussed contraception, the cables invited 91 men compared to 55 women as commentators. In other words, males comprised 62 percent of the total guests who commented on contraception. Fox was the most gender stratified network – on the Business network, 10 of 11 guests were male; on the News side, male pundits took up 65 percent of the guest lineup (28 men vs. 15 women). Sixty percent of MSNBC’s lineup was male (44 men vs. 31 women). And while CNN was more evenly balanced, it was still slightly tilted in favor of male perspectives (9 men vs. 8 women).

• 343 Ladyhawke
      February 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

And how much discussion was there with these men about coverage for VIAGRA and VASECTOMIES??? I know crickets.

• 344 nathkatun7
        February 10, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Bravo, Ladyhawke, for exposing the double standards! There is something wrong with these men who think the country should go back to the standards of the 1920’s. Do these men have wives, daughters, sisters or other female family members?

• 345 donna dem 4 obama
      February 10, 2012 at 4:41 pm

And this my friends is the “real” story about this fake controversy. It’s very telling!

98. February 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm

To All In the TOD Family, We of all people should know by now that our Chess Master leader moves in a quiet peaceful way .He fights the battles needed with calm reserve and know how. He never served in the Military but he is the best Commander In Chief ever.Don’t forget one main fact he always lets the opposition rattle on and on. Until he has heard enough and like a good father always does steps up and puts a end to all the BS with a stern smile and quiet speech puts a end to it.Watching Our President should remind us of The Thinker statue, in this way all the noise is all about, but He is always thinking way ahead of us all. That is way He will lead us all into a strong future.Press ON 4 more for 44 !!

99. February 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm

OT comment for my fellow football-heads.

Sepp Blatter needs to take a giant dose of Shut The Fuck UP ™. He makes it very hard to be a soccer supporter.

100. 350 xtine
    February 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Hope I’m not repeating, but this had me laughing, from “My God How the Money Rolls In (and Rolls Out)!”:

“For now, the Adelsons don’t plan to deliver another big check to float Gingrich’s campaign, according to a person familiar with their deliberations. The family has donated a combined $11 million to Gingrich’s super-PAC in the past two months, according to interviews and Federal Election Commission records. An Adelson spokesman declined to comment.”

More here: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2012_02/my_god_how_the_money_rolls_in035322.php

101. 361 #1 obama fan
    February 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Goodness gracious I Luv the the First Lady..she a rock star !! Mr President is no shrinking violet either :0)..Like I posted earlier on Rise and Shine..

President Obama is a skilled leader ..and knows just the right tone and language to use to let women know I’m with you..politics is a game of chess…PBO already has anticipated his opponents move before they have decided to make a move..these rt wing/baggers are playing a child’s game of dime store checkers..Love Me Some President Obama..Landslide 2012

• 362 Grab a Mop Grace
      February 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Loser Dana Milbank and the young Russert seem to enjoy calling what the President handled today a “miscalculation”. I guess they have to say that. It seems so obvious to me that the President played this perfectly.
      He’s made everyone go on record (on video) on where they stand on the matter of women’s health, and has now deflected the issue of mandating against ones beliefs.
      He’s playing chess, they’re all playing tiddly-winks:)

Obama/Biden 2012

102. February 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Obama Punks the GOP on Contraception
    By Amanda Marcotte

Romney was provoked repeatedly to go on the record saying negative things about contraception. Sure, it was in the frame of concern about religious liberty, but as this incident fades into memory, what most people will remember is that Republicans picked a fight with Obama over contraception coverage and lost. This also gave Obama a chance to highlight this benefit and take full credit for it. Obama needs young female voters to turn out at the polls in November, and hijacking two weeks of the news cycle to send the message that he’s going to get you your birth control for free is a big win for him in that department. I expect to see some ads in the fall showing Romney saying hostile things about contraception and health care reform, with the message that free birth control is going away if he’s elected. It’s all so perfect that I’m inclined to think this was Obama’s plan all along.

• 364 Ladyhawke
      February 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm

The accompanying picture with this article is priceless. The Republican Party played right into President Obama’s hand. Their knee jerk “NO” to anything President Obama is for continues to bite them in the arse.

————-

That’s the nitty-gritty. The fun part of this is that Obama just pulled a fast one on Republicans. He drew this out for two weeks, letting Republicans work themselves into a frenzy of anti-contraception rhetoric, all thinly disguised as concern for religious liberty, and then created a compromise that addressed their purported concerns but without actually reducing women’s access to contraception, which is what this has always been about.

—————

• 365 MsKitty (@michelec64)
        February 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

That picture is too awesome. You know he’s laughing like that several times a day at the amateur hour shenanigans the GOP and MSM keep coming up with.

• February 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Loved that Meta, thanks a million – added it to the post.

• 367 tally
      February 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I am embarrassed and stunned at the depth to which MOST OF THE WORLDWIDE MEDIA hasn’t a clue about how insurance works.

103. February 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Now, for a real BBC tweet.

104. 371 Bill
    February 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Newt just mentioned Saul Alinsky in his closing remarks.

105. 372 nospin
    February 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Chips you are an amazing woman. No one is perfect and we all have our low times.

Keep up the good work. PRESSON!