Feb

catching up

Greg Sargent: ….. anyone who comes out against the proposal Obama outlined today will be asked a simple question: Are you saying that employers should dictate to female employees whether they should or shouldn’t have access to birth control coverage?

….  What kind of impact do you think GOP opposition to free contraception for female employees of these institutions will have on that gender gap?

….. a new poll came out just today illustrating how perilous this position may be ….. It found that a big majority, 61%, approve of “requiring employer health plans to cover birth control for women.” Only 34% disapproved. Independents approve 58-34; women, 67-29 …. The polling organization that published these findings? Fox News.

Full post here

Amanda Marcotte (Slate): …. The fun part of this is that Obama just pulled a fast one on Republicans. He drew this out for two weeks, letting Republicans work themselves into a frenzy of anti-contraception rhetoric, all thinly disguised as concern for religious liberty, and then created a compromise that addressed their purported concerns but without actually reducing women’s access to contraception, which is what this has always been about.

…. what most people will remember is that Republicans picked a fight with Obama over contraception coverage and lost. This also gave Obama a chance to highlight this benefit and take full credit for it.

…. hijacking two weeks of the news cycle to send the message that he’s going to get you your birth control for free is a big win for him in that department … It’s all so perfect that I’m inclined to think this was Obama’s plan all along.

Full post here

ThinkProgress

Ed Kilgore: …. make no mistake: it just got an awful lot harder for conservatives to frame the mandate (as now formulated) as an assault on religious liberty that will drive Catholics back into the catacombs – or even affect the operations of Catholic hospitals and charities. Indeed, it will look a lot like one of those interminable disputes between “modern” and “traditionalist” Catholics – with the latter backing a church hierarchy with a rather notably reduced credibility these days – in which Catholic lay opinion is decisively, if often quietly, with people like Sister Keehan who actually do the charitable work of the church.

Full post here

The Economist: …..For the past three years America has been walking softly, and it’s working very, very well. Ten years back, America often found itself isolated, struggling to pull together “coalitions of the willing” packed with small client states. Lately, we have been finding ourselves in the majority, along with the democratic world, while Russia and China front a dwindling coalition of the unwilling …. this reflects a smart, subtle foreign-policy presence in which we have done a vastly better job of looking at what other countries actually want, and seeing where our interests align, rather than trying to bully other countries into supporting our goals…

And to some extent, there’s a personal factor. Look through the Pew Global Attitudes project data on confidence in the US president. In almost every country, you’ll see a dramatic or startling increase in confidence between 2008 and 2011.

…. When Hillary Clinton and Susan Rice try to win backing for American positions at the UN, the exceptional popularity of the president they represent in other countries is obviously a factor ….

Full article here

Don’t miss Liberal Librarian’s first post at The People’s View

The Week

Nice to see so much diversity at CPAC today:

Daylife

Protesters from the Occupy movement and labor unions gather with an inflatable ‘fat cat’ outside the American Conservative Union’s annual Conservative Political Action Conference prior to an address by Mitt Romney

TPM: The awkward elements of Mitt Romney’s speech at CPAC Friday began even before the flailing GOP frontrunner opened his mouth.

….. he stood behind a pair of teleprompters and in front of a pair of fake Grecian columns … Just the other night, when he was giving his address amid the defeats in Missouri, Minnesota and Colorado, Romney took a shot at the man he’s trying to oust from the White House for – well – using teleprompters and standing in front of fake columns.

More here

You know, if the dog came with the sweater I’d buy it right now

212 Responses to “catching up”

1. 1 itgurl_29
    February 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm

First?

2. 4 itgurl_29
    February 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Woooohoooooo!!!

3. February 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

If Stewie would stop growing, I’d buy him an Obama sweater. But he’s way past 30 lbs. now.

4. 12 LOL
    February 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Can we just spend a little time to make fun of Willard. He said he was “severely conservative” Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

5. 18 #1 obama fan
    February 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hey told ya “I Got This” ..Love President Obama ..congrats itgurl on being 1st

6. February 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Did I mention…How much I love President Obama??? I do…I do……

February 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

True…true….

• 21 Pamela
        February 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

He is strong and brave and true because he loves and is loved, and he knows it! We bring strength to him, and to FLOTUS, and they are kind enough to be grateful for it! We do live in interesting times!

7. 22 SarahT
    February 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm

No, very sorry, but that doggie is going to be MINE !

8. February 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm

MSNBC contact email:

Please share with them your unhappiness about their lopsided contraception debate, i.e. we don’t need more Luke Russert, Tweety, or Dana Millbank types telling us how they feel.

• 24 L3
      February 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Just the other day I figured out why I did not like Alex Wagner. I am insulted by her immature, mean girl schtick. The other day I heard her say, “Well, let’s see where Rick Santorum and his sweater vest goes from here.” Now I despise Santorum with the intensity of a thousand suns but the comment just seemed very silly and girly like something you would say to your college friends in a dormitory, not something a mature, serious person would say on a national TV show about politics. I thought, who is she and what has she done in life to constantly make these snide comments about people she’s supposed to be covering? It’s as though this whole thing is a joke to her or nothing that requires seriousness as her perma-smile suggests.

My apologies to the youthful commenters here but it’s like these children who all look like they are about 12 years old (Hayes, Klein, Russert and to a lesser extent Maddow) are lecturing the President. PBO, a man who is older, wiser, far more intelligent, sophisticated and worldy than they could ever hope to me and yet their tone is so disrespectful and dismissive when they talk about him. I don’t know how old she is but I feel like she’s a child playing dress-up in her mother’s heels. I don’t take anything she says seriously. I know that being telegenic is more important than being a professional journalists these days, but Im shocked at how low MSNBC is willing to go to attract viewers.

• 25 Bill
        February 10, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Well said, L3

• 26 vitaminlover
        February 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Spot on, L3!

February 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Thank you L3. This “journalist” behaves more like a high-schooler commenting on an “American Idol” or “Housewives” message board, than a political news analyst discussing serious issues facing the country. Except that she’s probably getting paid way more than the average working adult in any position of responsibility such as a nurse, teacher, military soldier, or scientist.

Like I said, it’s time we held the media accountable. They need to stop hiring these overpaid airheads to spread their false propaganda while turning politics into some middle-school reality show.

• 30 PoliticalJunkessa
        February 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

She’s another of the “valley girl” commentators — there was a guest who used to be on there all the time, I forget her name — I think it was Ana Marie something-or-other, but she had a blond bob cut hair do and I think she used to be on Rachel’s show a lot about two years ago. Every line she said, she delivered in a silly, snarky, sarcastic, valley-girl voice. Same thing Meghan McCain does — it’s annoying and ridiculous. For some reason, Lawrence decided Alex Wagner and Chris Hayes were to be his opening experts on this whole contraception brouhaha. They were both woefully inadequate and had absolutely nothing to add on the subject expect for a few generic points on the “white, working middle class’ dificulties with Obama” (again! :roll: ). It was pitiful.

• 31 L3
          February 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I turned LO off as soon as I saw those two kids sitting at the adult table. I don’t doubt that young people can add something intelligent to most conversations, but the people MSNBC have selected are not the people. I am 48 and have always taken great care to respect my elders to the point of deference. I was a Fall Fellow and my neighborhood team was comprised entirely of retirees and they were great and I was so careful with them because I did not want anyone to feel that I did not value their intelligence and their life experiences and let me tell you those folks had more energy, ideas and initiative than people my age. They are a fabulous, involved and politically astute team and are pretty much operating on their own now. They call themselves “The O Team” and I love it.

• 32 HZ
          February 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

The one you are speaking about PJ is Ana Marie Cox. She has longer hair now. A little know it all.HZ

• 33 Proud of Obama
        February 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Thank you so much for this. I have felt this way about her and all the media really. They talk abt PBO as if he’s 13 and needs their wisdom. They who did not run the most magnificent campaign in the history of politics, who has achieved more in foreign and domestic policy than any other President. This man who is President and governing while they are overpaid mouthpiecea who’ve achieved what exactly. It really frosts me. I’ve been searching Google for background on Alex and can find very little. Her parents were probably some big wigs at a network. No way she should have that job.

• 35 Mel
        February 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It seems that Alex is a joke, she has no idea or understands dificults issues and to attract viewrs
        MSNBC needs to get people like Martin Bashir he extremely smart and takes downn the GOP that
        come on his show very nicecely and I really would like Martin to before tweety Ratigan is a Republican.

• 36 L3
          February 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Martin Bashir has great intellect and gravitas. He is a man among boys on that network, with the exception of Rev. Al who at least brings a lifetime of civil rights activism to the table.

• 37 nathkatun7
        February 11, 2012 at 1:32 am

You make good points, L3! On the other hand, I don’t think Alex Wagner’s age really has anything to do with her immaturity. I know many people younger people, who are actually younger than her, that behave differently than her. Just to cite one example: our own Utaustinliberal who writes some of the most serious, thorough, and well grounded commentaries on this site. She is probably younger than Ms. Wagner but her age has not hindered from exercising her critical thinking in analyzing important issues. The problem with the people you listed is that they are trying to fit in with the MSM club. Their age is not the problem because people older than them, like Chris Matthews, LOD, David Gregory, Chuck Todd, etc., are worse than them when it comes to indulging in trivia. The problem of the young people you listed is that they are trying very hard to gain acceptance from their fellow media people who are much older but who still obsess about trivia.

• 38 L3
          February 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

Agreed, which is why I expressed my apologies to younger commenters and indicated that I do believe young people have something to contribute but those that I mentioned are not those people. And, I also indicated that some of their older hosts and pundits are also woefully inadequate and I do agree about Utaustinliberal. I’d love to see her hosting that show instead of Alex. I did not want to offend anyone which is why I couched my comment and replies to the comments of others in the way that I did. I’m going to assume that your comment is in response to my initial comment and maybe you had not yet read my subsequent comments. I just find it appalling that these young pundits seem not to have a lot of respect for PBO and you’re right it may have nothing to do with their age but when you’re close to PBO’s age as I am you don’t take too kindly to that level of disrespect from young people no matter who they are.

February 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Rising….rising…

10. February 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Chips already said it but I will add my own “pimp” Please check out Liberal Librarian’s first diary at The Peoples View. LL rocks! He is a great addition to the diarists there. TPV is so fortunate to have him & anyone who isn’t familiar with TPV should check it out. TPV is a great source for accurate information and real activism. The TPV Fam is totally for PBO and Dems. Deaniac runs a tight ship & trolls are yummy in the tummy! So feel safe and free to comment or just visit when you have the time.

11. 42 joyce
    February 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I thank God everyday for our first family. Love this site and everyone here

12. February 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Who says that one man, committed to an ideal, can’t make change?

13. 44 Robert
    February 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm

OMG. Did anyone catch that sexiest jackass Rick Santorum on CNN? what moron.

14. February 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm

President Obama is a genius. Loved how he compromised in such a manner that women still are the women — they get contraceptives without having to spend any additional funds. Perfect.

• 52 susanne
      February 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm

actually, i think he played the rethugs like a pro. again and again, we’ve seen the media declare pbo has compromised or caved or failed in some way to push back. to me, it looks more like aikido moves–take their energy and use it to sling them to the floor. splat!

• 53 Debz
        February 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Agreed, as always he has a way of making his opponents make fools of themselves. Not one of the gop figured out that their war against women is out in the open and how can ever the flip/flopper get out of this for the GE

• 54 Gramiam44
        February 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I say it yet again! NEVER play poker with President Obama! He will OWN you!

• 55 gn
      February 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Gives me warm fuzzies. All progress, no hate. What a terrific POTUS.

15. February 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm

the pictures are cracking me up

16. 59 Linda
    February 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Halperin is talking about CPAC…so just assume the opposite is true.

• 60 utaustinliberal
      February 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Honestly, anytime I hear Halperin speak, I just keep saying…..”oooh and that must mean McCain wins.” He’s such a dumbass, that he gives regular dumbasses a bad name.

17. 61 Andy46
    February 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm

A President that continues to look out for the “least of these”….America you are truly
    bless *sigh*

18. February 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the brilliant articles Ms Chips…. I would buy some of those sweaters for my two cats, but they would take them off after about 30 seconds.

19. February 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm

This was really something, what he did to the GOP and their media tools today. This man’s brain should be illegal.

February 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm

:) :) :)

As you keep telling us BWD – He is the ONLY adult in the room!

• 66 SarahT
      February 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Glad to see you, BWD – hope you’re doing well.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm

And he’s not done. Next up the payroll tax extension.

• 68 Gramiam44
      February 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm

BTW, bwd, When are you revving up the blog again. TOD is awesome, but we need both of you.

• 70 nathkatun7
      February 11, 2012 at 1:46 am

BWD, It is so nice to keep hearing your voice. I hope you are taking care of yourself and slowly recovering from the trauma you went through. You mean so much to many of us who followed you when you made your courageous break from DKos. I am delighted that once again the President came through and fulfilled his promise. I hope that he confirmed your faith in him when you declared that he was “The Only Adult In the Room.”

Again, I am praying for your speedy recovery!

20. February 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm

“This man’s brain should be illegal” :-) :-).

• 72 HZ
      February 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I love that statement from BWD as well kasai.

BWD, everytime I see you commenting here and on Twitter, my heart sings a song for our BWD. Relax, sip you favorite drink and if you are not allergic to bananas, eat a few. ((((((((Hugs to you, BWD)))))))))))HZ

21. 75 criquet
    February 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm

More GOP/Teathug lunacy:

22. 76 criquet
    February 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

More GOP/Teathug lunacy:

PBO says-go on, make my day!

• 77 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      February 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm

GEESH…WHAT A GOP CLUSTER-MUCK!

• 78 Linda
      February 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Yep…he will sign that…….What a bunch of losers

• February 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

The insurance industry is not going to like that.

• 80 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      February 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm

They really are at war with women, with immigrants, with …… anyone who’s not ‘one of them’ i.e., the remnants of the Confederacy and the tiny number of plutocrats who control them.

#PRESSON

• 81 utaustinliberal
      February 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm

These morons are messing with the wrong category of voters: women. Women vote, women advance the agenda in their homes, amongst their friends, and in the public. They keep screwing around and what they don’t seem to realize is that they’re screwing their chances in 2012. They subliminally want President Obama to win. Who shoots themselves in the foot by proposing and backing legislation that denies women any preventive health service? Everyday, they get a little bit closer to kissing 2012 goodbye.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:56 pm

of all the dumb things these toolbags have done, this is the dumbest!!!!! are these fucktards for real? Bad idea, shytheads!!! this will guarantee that you gin up PBO’s base and women in general whether they are repus, indies or democrats. There is one thing regular American women have in common: they don’t want your old, crusty, nasty hands on their lady bits! They especially don’t want you asshags involved in their uterus! #Tally: StayTheFuckAwayFromMyVa-j-j!!!!

23. 87 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    February 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm

PBO WON THE MATCH TODAY…AS USUAL…SORRY I MISSED IT…CHECKED THE VIDEOS…THANX CHIPS FOR THE CATCH-UP. BEEN A LITTLE SICK AND SLOW TODAY!…:)

• February 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Hope you feel better Sue….

• 89 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        February 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

• 90 HZ
          February 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Sue, I hope that you will feel better soon. Try and relax as much as possible. Rest and sip on your favorite tea, coffee, or wine. Keep yourself first on the list. Remember we need your fierce love and support, so please take very good care, ok. Promise me. {{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs coming your way}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

24. February 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Navy names ship for former congresswoman Giffords

Mabus said: “God bless the USS Gabrielle Giffords and all who sail in her.”

25. 95 BIGFan
    February 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Ms Chipsticks – You are simply the best with giving us the latest and greatest!!
    Just can’t wrap my head around how so many people seem to buy the Repug hypocrisy. Even France is dismayed how Robme can dis them after he was so “charming” when he lived there. He is revolting, especially today.
    So happy to see our President with his warm, genuine smile! It makes my day.

26. 96 Pamela
    February 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm

ROTFLMAO! and my iPhone is nearly out of juju. It has been a long week, I’m kinda tired, but hey: Friday’s Good, Chips is awesome, and I’ll be around later this evening. Who’s The Man? Lmao! Hugs all around, catch y’all later! ;)

27. 97 Janine
    February 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I just love it when a plan comes together. Women’s right to contraception is preserved. That was the point. President Obama really is brilliant.

28. February 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Hey Pamela..Cheers is Friday :-)

WHO’S THE MAN AGAIN???? lol

(HUGS)

29. February 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I just love the fact he got to say FREE CONTRACEPTION NO CO-PAYS live on TV. I expect many women did not know of this feature in the ACA. For many of the working class poor this makes all the difference as I can’t believe (i’m too old now:>) the pill costs so much these days. I had no idea.

• 100 Ladyhawke
      February 10, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I thought the same thing. With any luck, maybe some of those women will logon to whitehouse.gov and get the facts about the Affordable Care Act and the plethora of services for women. Then maybe they will ask themselves why on earth is the Republican Party vowing to repeal this legislation that helps me.

• 101 susanne
      February 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

i agree–so much of the ‘news’ about the affordable care act (obama-cares) has revolved around senior citizen’s concerns–because that’s who the rethugs can get to attend their media non-events. the recent media orgy was turned back on them, and instead highlighted how young women will be supported by the legislation.

and yes, it gives us another talking point with women voters, who may not see the loss of the affordable care act under a potential rethug administration as a big issue. now they do!

oh, how i love to see the rethugs twisting into pretzels, trying to save a scrap of traction as they sliiiiiiiide over the crumbling cliff!

30. 102 carolyn
    February 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Those pictures of the CPACers crack me up! I get more enthusiasm from my college freshman in English Composition classes…..!!!

• February 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Love your comments, Carolyn. I reacted in the same manner when I saw those people. Sad group.

Hope all is going fine for you. Keep the thoughts and candles going for all of my TOD family members. HZ

31. 104 ChristiMTL
    February 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm

thinkprogress ThinkProgress
    Gov. Scott Walker says he’s facing a recall election in Wisconsin because he’s too “pro-worker”

32. 106 ChristiMTL
    February 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Oh now Chris Matthews is giving President Obama a GOLD star ………

33. 110 donna dem 4 obama
    February 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ll be accepting $5.00 donations this evening for anyone who would like to thank the President for his strong leadership on women’s rights this week.

Please help him build a strong campaign by making a small donation today or tomorrow or the next day or some day soon :)

Thanks TOD!!

34. 118 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

WHILE PRESIDENT OBAMA IS PLAYING CHESS, THE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLAY PICK-UP STICKS

Seriously, will they ever learn? They keep overplaying their hand and underestimating President Obama. This is a fascinating post that delves into several GOP confrontations with President Obama that have not turned out well. I highly recommend it. The Republican Party was on the wrong side of the contraception coverage issue yet they locked arms with the Catholic bishops. They just couldn’t help starting another fight with President Obama for political expediency. Right now, women across America know that it was President Obama who made sure their preventive health services remained intact no matter where they worked.

Politics And Poker: Why The GOP Keeps Getting Backed Into Corners

=====================

And yup, Republicans have overplayed this hand as well. They are jumping in with the Catholic church, claiming that the President’s administration is attacking freedom of religion by enforcing this statute.

Sounds like the President miscalculated, right? Nope.

See, this law is already enforced in 28 states at the state level, not the federal level. It was already on the books at the federal level. There is no real controversy here. So why the announcement, if it’s already a law? Because the Republicans can’t wait to pick a fight. Even a really bad one. The majority of voters believe birth control should be part of health care coverage, regardless of the employer. Of course, women have an even higher percentage than the populace in general. But even a majority of Catholics feel this way. The Republicans are on the wrong side of the table on this, and are playing a vastly weaker hand. And they don’t have the chips to back it up. But they can’t stay away from trying to take on the President, no matter what.

So, now they’re pushing their chips in on a stone cold, blatantly obvious bluff.

=====================

h/t Milt Shook

35. 122 ChristiMTL
    February 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Republicans Will Not Compromise. Ever.

Despite Obama’s decision to shield nonprofit religious institutions from offering birth control benefits, next week Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) is expected to offer an amendment that would permit any employer or insurance plan to exclude any health service, no matter how essential, from coverage if they morally object to it.

February 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

It’s going to die in the senate and the President will veto. Anyone can claim that they “morally” object to anything. What next? No coverage for Gays, or minorities because they are morally opposed?

• 124 ChristiMTL
        February 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

It’s the only thing they have left…..they have nothing else……..

• 125 utaustinliberal
        February 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

It will surely die in the Senate if it passes the House; Hopefruit. But the beautiful thing is that PBO can use this in the campaign to show point by point who is for womens rights. These morons really do love the idea of a clusterf**k. At every turn, they keep shooting themselves in the foot and we haven’t even gotten to the pay roll tax cut extension. Boy oh boy am I gonna enjoy PBO handing them their asses.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I say bring it to a vote. Let it be on record who voted to allow insurance companies to exclude any health services on moral grounds. The ‘Pubs are crazy, but they aren’t stupid… well yeah they are, but still. That’ll just speed up universal/public government delivered health care. Today, we saw one step closer to removing employer based health care delivery.

• February 10, 2012 at 7:24 pm

GOP is not happy unless they are legislating discrimination. There’s your death panels right there.

• 130 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      February 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Simply …

#PRESSON

• February 10, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Bobfr, have I told you lately how much I appreciate all that you do here as well as burning it up on Twitter. Thanks so much for your hard and faithful work for POB and all of us. HZ

36. 133 ChristiMTL
    February 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Ok seriously I am still laughing that Romney said he was ”severely conservative” when he was governor lol….

Desperate!

37. 138 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

‘SEVERELY’ CONSERVATIVE?

His “severely conservative” line was ad-libbed, inserted by Romney on the spot on top of his prepared remarks, which he read from a teleprompter.

Romney boasts of ‘severely conservative’ record in CPAC speech

=============================

But Romney also had his own response to his two most direct Republican challengers ready to go.

“I am the only candidate in this race, Republican or Democrat, who has never worked a day in Washington … As conservatives, you’ve learned to be skeptical of this city and its politicians and right you are,” he said, alluding to Santorum and Gingrich’s long tenures in Congress. “And let me tell you, any politician who tries to convince you that they hated Washington so much that they just couldn’t leave, well, that’s the same politician who will try to sell you a Bridge to Nowhere.”

But most of Romney’s speech was oriented toward selling himself to conservatives.

=============================

38. February 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Rev Al said Willard said he was a conservative over 20 times in his speech. Ha!

• 141 ChristiMTL
      February 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm

lol I just wrote it Lisa……all those tapes, videos from the time he was governor don’t exist anymore…..

• February 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm

He’s hoping that if says it enough conservatives will actually believe it. Don’t know if you ever saw it but Pew did a word cloud on Mitt Romney – they asked questions of a group of Republicans and Mormon was the biggest word while conservative was very tiny. So he has a lot of work to do.

• 143 Cha
      February 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Trying to overkill those 4 years as a gov of Mass.

39. February 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Scarlett Johansson is no Matt Ddamon:

….. Touting Obama’s record over his first three years in office, Johansson rattled off a list of advancements made since his inauguration in 2009: “Change for American women: the first bill President Obama signed into law was the Fair Pay Act. Three women now sit on the Supreme Court for the first time in history. And insurance companies must now offer women cancer screenings and contraception at no cost,” Johansson said.

“Change for LGBT Americans: The President ended Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell so no one will ever again have to lie about who they love to serve the country they love. The President declared the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional. And he signed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act into law,” she added. The 27-year-old pitched patience with Obama’s approach to reviving the economy. “…Obama inherited a turkey, he really did, and he’s working to… he’s fighting a kind of uphill battle in a sense and he has these past four years. And he never ran his first term as that — he was always going to be a two-term election in that sense. And change doesn’t happen overnight, you know, we know that.”

February 10, 2012 at 6:38 pm

WOW…did that really just happen at CPAC?

41. February 10, 2012 at 6:40 pm

HEY EVERYONE!!!

I am so happy to hear about “The Compromise”. I was at my job scouring the internets for a task I had to do and I saw the headlines “Obama announces compromise”. The picture accompanying the article made him look like he was beaten (His head hung low and he was pressing his lips) so I groaned and groaned – WHY? WHY?! I had some difficulty getting to this site so I went over to Balloon Juice to get the news and they called it A WIN!! which made me feel much better. So when I was able to get to this site I saw the “egg on your face” pic that Chipsticks put up. I deserved one too. Really I did.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU PRESIDENT OBAMA!

and IN YOUR FACE GOP!

ok. be back. gotta run to the store. :) :) :)

42. 150 ChristiMTL
    February 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Awwwwwwww Beyonce, a true supporter of President Obama….she’s great.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z Reveal First Photos of Blue Ivy Carter

The baby is gorgeous!

Just like her mom….:)

43. February 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm

am watching Al and catching up with Martn. Got to the Luke Russert and Dana Milbank interview. 20 seconds and I ended it. That bastard Milbank said it was a cave and that PBO’s decision has isolated his base. WTF?!!! asscrack!

• 159 Jessica
      February 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Milibank doesn’t know what the hell she’s talking about. I haven’t heard much from the emoprogs on this issue because they know there is nothing to whine about. And they know he played this well.

44. 161 MB32
    February 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Only caught a little of EJ Dionne’s interview with Rev Al but I thought I heard him say that this compromise has been out there since Oct. I wonder if Obama admin held this back knowing that Right Wing Bishops and Repubs would probably still try to attack the compromise. By allowing them to holler and yell and letting them back themselves in a corner, he was able to come out with a position protecting everyone’s right and allowing him to look very sensible while highlighting GOP’s attack on women.

You know, I was getting email from MoveOn early this year talking about PBO had caved to the Bishops on this. I suspect that even they might not have accepted the accommodation initially. Which makes it ironic that PLers and other MSM are saying ‘why didn’t he announce this compromise earlier.’ I think he knew everyone would respond they way they did, especially the MSM – they are always looking for a negative topic to flog. In their coverage they never pointed out that this wasn’t the final rule. That it was going to take a year to work it out. With the compromise, it makes the MSM look a little silly with how they over hyped this. But of course they turn their ineptness back on PBO saying he mishandled it when really he used their hysteria to teach the public about what’s in ACA and to show that he is a protector of woman’s health.

Hope that made sense…felt like I was rambling a little…

• 162 Alma Blanca
      February 10, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Makes sense. Brian williams virtually called it a cave, fixing a mistake. didn’t he listen? I am surprised that he characterized this as a an Obama mistake. Then in the same newscast talking about yet another scandal in the church.

• February 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm

EVEN SOME OF THE DEMS HAD THEIR HAIR ON FIRE (ALL MEN OF COURSE)…PATHETIC!!!

45. February 10, 2012 at 6:55 pm

From WebMD

“Severely conservative” is a condition characterized by a extreme inflexibility, complete disdain for women’s rights and a deeply repressed attitude to sexy-times that commonly manifests itself in multiple wives and a long term Viagra addiction. No known cure is available, although several individuals have undergone liberal conversion therapy with limited results. (see Huffington, A and Uygur, C as examples of failed cures.)

46. February 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm

The national medium income has risen to $51,000.00 per household. This is the most it has been since 2007. The deficit is down, fewer jobless claims, lower unemployment , PBO favorable/unfavorables are at 50/50. and a few other indicators causes CPAC to whimper.

47. 169 carolyn
    February 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Maybe Romney should have stopped with “I am the only Republican candidate who has never worked a day.” That would be a true statement!

48. 170 Ladyhawke
    February 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm

WILLARD SHOULD HAVE STUCK WITH THE TELEPROMPTER

==================================================

I wonder how long it will take for Willard to walk back his “severely conservative” line. Already, Rush Limbaugh is complaining that “severely conservative” is something that liberals would say about Republicans. For someone who criticizes President Obama for using a teleprompter, it really is ironic that Willard was himself using a teleprompter but he ad libbed the “severely conservative” line that’s drawing so much attention from both sides of the aisle.

So is Willard saying that he was “severely conservative” just like Republican Governors Scott Walker, Bob McDonnell, Rick Scott, John Kasich, and Rick Snyder? The Democrats must be giddy tonight.

SEVERE  ’uncompromising, stern’

SYNONYMS:

astringent, austere, biting, caustic, close, cold, cruel, cutting, disapproving, dour, earnest, firm, flinty, forbidding, grave, grim, hard, hard-nosed, harsh, inconsiderate, inexorable, inflexible, iron-handed, obdurate, oppressive, peremptory, pitiless, relentless, resolute, resolved, rigid, satirical, scathing, serious, sober, stern, stiff*, strait-laced, strict, tight-lipped, unalterable, unbending, unchanging, unfeeling, unrelenting, unsmiling, unsparing

ANTONYMS:

amenable, compromising, easy-going, friendly, willing

49. February 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm

fellow Adele fans…I’m way excited for the Grammy’s Sunday if like me you just can’t wait ’til Sunday to hear if Adele’s voice is back after her surgery….check this out.

Adele sings for Anderson Cooper and she sound fabulous!!!

50. February 10, 2012 at 7:18 pm

In case no one saw this on TPM:

51. 174 carolyn
    February 10, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Brian Williams so often is wrong when he attempts analysis instead of reporting the facts. He doesn’t listen to the president…he makes up hism ind before listening. Those of you who heard him…why don’t you write him? His skin is thin, and you can really hit him. He should know better! W(We were listening to Rev. Al instead of BriWi)

52. 176 nospin
    February 10, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Is it possible to block the term “cave” from being posted at TOD?

I abhor that term.

53. February 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm

About those Kim Jung-Eun rumors:

(CNN) — The U.S. intelligence community has found no evidence to suggest North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is dead, a senior U.S. official said Friday following posts on China’s version of Twitter that claimed Kim had been assassinated while in Beijing.

U.S. intelligence officials have been looking into such rumors for more than a week, according to the official, who has direct knowledge of the latest U.S. analysis.

“With that society you can never be 100% sure, but we just don’t see any evidence of it,” the official told CNN. “It’s a closed society, but at this point we do not believe it’s true.”

The preliminary analysis of the rumor suggests it is part of a “calculated effort to disrupt the economy of South Korea at a fragile time by suggesting things are going haywire up north,” the official said.

Story here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/10/world/asia/north-korea-leader-rumors/index.html

• February 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I looked at the timeline of the phony tweet and it’s really bogus, so I doubt there is any truth to the rumor. I guess the reason I fell for it is it’s hard to believe someone would actually punk about something like that. Disgusting and weird.

54. February 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

This is going to be the last concept I will make about this whole “contraceptive” “war on religion” faux controversy. (Of course I say that, but then will probably change my mind. I’m a lot like Romney in that.)

This has been a quadruple win day for this country.

1. Women’s rights have been not just affirmed by the President but in probably the strongest way I have ever seen.
    2. The Republicans are left with the choice of pursuing it or dropping it. Either way they lose. (It really doesn’t matterv what the Catholic Church does at this point. They really only have clout if a lot of politicians mke a stink.)
    3. Virtually everybody on the left is in unity on this (there are a few exceptions, but not many.)

4. And probably the biggest. The ACA has gotten the very best public exposure it ever has and in a positive way. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next polling shows a respectable jump in approval for the ACA. As one poster a BJ pointed out, a lot of women didn’t even know about this provision.

• 182 Ladyhawke
      February 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

>>>>The ACA has gotten the very best public exposure it ever has and in a positive way.<<<<

This to me is one of the best outcomes of this manufactured controversy. Knowledge is power. The more women know the facts the better it will be for President Obama.

February 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm

THIS!!!!!

55. 184 collegekay
    February 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Access Hollywood is on for all my east coasters. They gonna air Miche’s interview.

56. February 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Thanks collegekay for the reminder. Our lovely FLOTUS has been busy doing great deeds and our POTUS and Attorney General’s Office doing the same.

The Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force(FFETF) is doing moving things along very nicely. On their job for the people.

57. February 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm

58. February 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I posted kay from Balloon Juce’s post earlier today about the POTUS speech before it happened. I thought it was a great primer, especially during today’s “rise and shine” thread. I hope ya’ll read it.

Anyway, please check out kay’s update, cause I think it definitely speaks to those of us who were convinced that POTUS would not cave. Please check it our guys. Read past the headline.

This might have been helpful to have a week ago

by Kay

I agree with ABL that Obama did good, but as I said earlier, I would have been grateful to him for trying had he failed. I listened to the debate closely, and I’m still convinced there was one person in this who was looking out for my interests, and oddly enough, it was the President. I don’t ordinarily feel as if the President of the United States is my one and only advocate, but I did this time…

February 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Unfortunately we won’t get to hear LOD’s take until Monday – thanks to MSNBC’s “lockups” weekend tradition.

60. 192 collegekay
    February 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Ok Access keeps punking us. They only showed like 3 minutes of Miche. The rest will be Monday. SMH.

61. 197 carolyn
    February 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Is what Scott Walker is doing with the settleent legal? Sounds like a suit should be in the making, and soon. It sure sounds on the shady side of legal.

62. February 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Via ThinkProgress: We Take Care Of Our Own – The sing along version

63. February 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Listened to the President. Smart smart guy. He’s running circles around these clowns and they just keep falling for it. Seems like the people are not paying too much attention to the talking heads. The media are completely out of touch with the way people really think. We have our own means of getting the news out and taking action now and we don’t need them anymore. They should get used to it. If the media think that women are not able to recognize who’s on their side they are deluded. The President has real respect for women and trusts us to make our own decisions. That is why he’s a happily married man.

64. 203 nospin
    February 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Official White House Response to Stand Strong in Support of New No-Cost Birth Control Policy
    Protecting the Health of Women While Accommodating Religious Liberty

By Cecilia Muñoz

Thank you for using We the People to make your voice heard about the Obama Administration’s decision to ensure that women have access to free preventive care with no co-pays, including contraceptive services, no matter where they work.

As background, the Affordable Care Act requires insurance companies to cover preventive services, including preventive care for women, without charging a co-pay starting on August 1, 2012. These preventive services include well women visits, domestic violence screening, and contraception, and all were recommended to the Secretary of Health and Human Services by the independent Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science.

65. 204 Andy46
    February 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Ralph Reed is on CNN as pundit wasn’t he investigated for something?…now judging President Obama
    Wow, Anderson Cooper allow this joker on his show…call what President Obama did to day a “walk-back”

February 11, 2012 at 6:00 am

Anderson Cooper has become a very big disappointment, but so has the whole network, TeaNN. Someone said that they saw on TeaNN that someone said the POTUS had cave, I email Wolf and I ask him to please explain to me how the President cave. They need to take that word and shove it.

66. 207 dotster3
    February 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I am sad because I just saw news that author Jeff Zaslow died in a car accident today. I am currently reading his book, “The Girls from Ames”, which I mentioned in a comment last night. He just wrote, “Gabby: The Story of Courage and Hope”, the story about Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly, of course. A real shame, driving in snowy conditions, lost control of his car, such a talented writer.

67. February 10, 2012 at 8:34 pm

‘Nice to see so much diversity at CPAC today:’

Forget the diversity piece – have you really looked at all their faces? Most of those pictured look really, really uptight! I wonder if ANY of their speakers, or leaders, every inspire anyone POSITIVELY? Then again, maybe the camera just caught them at a bad or serious moment.

Well, now that I have the weekend to catch up I’m not sure where to start. **musing to self**

Maybe I’ll just ignore the posts I missed and continue from here. Of course this means I’ll be forever out of the loop on certain references. For example,
    What if Ms Chips started a family and TOD is planning a surprise baby shower for her?
    Or, what if someone managed to nail Amk when he threw an incendiary comment and tried to sneak out?

You’d never know unless you read everything. This is a hard choice, VC, but you’ve got to PRESS ON! Sigh. **end of musing**

I must say, though I don’t know the full details, I am PROUD to see that PBO has pulled another rabbit out of his hat! Way to go, Mr. President! I’m with you all the way, through thick and thin!

• 211 susanne
      February 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

‘maybe the camera just caught them at a bad or serious moment.’
      well, yeah–they’re at a cpac meeting! that sounds like a seriously bad moment to me! can’t you just see the thought bubble, ‘oh, shit, what crazy turn in the road of life brought me to this low point?’

• February 10, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Heh vc. You can’t blame me if I am good at running.