Feb

rise and shine

They Gave Us A Republic: ….…I admit to watching, dumbfounded, as contraception became, in the immortal words of the Vice President, “a big fucking deal” over the last week or so…. I had a busy week, and just left it up to Obama…..

What he was up to, it looks to me like, was positioning his pieces to call “checkmate” in one of those games of eleventh dimensional chess that I am starting to believe might actually exist.

He must have been laughing his ass off when the Bishops and their GOP allies picked this fight… Some pro-choice republicans were aghast, and pleaded with the leadership not to, but they charged ahead, like a two-ton bull, right through the doors of the china shop. And Barack Obama smiled and stood aside, holding them open.

…. Obama wasn’t boxed in. Not at all. But now the Bishops are. So far, they have been silent after thunderously declaring that nothing short of total repeal of the mandate would suit them. And as they lost the healthcare reform battle, they are going to lose this one, too. Because they are wrong and their time is past. And by their silence, I think they are telling us all that they realize they’ve been had.

Full post here

Deaniac (The People’s View): Nontroversy resolved. Another stroke of genius by Obama.

… now the President has stripped off all the cover for the GOP’s anti-women agenda, and they are still not smart enough to hide it. Now women know for sure that this fight is about birth control and not about religious liberty. Now women also know who stands in their corner to protect birth control and which party wants to take this very basic health care right away from them.

Full post here

Smartypants: In The Atlantic, James Fallows has written one of the most interesting analyses of the Obama administration that I’ve seen.

…. if you’re like me, you won’t agree with some of the things he says. But what I appreciated about it is that he doesn’t seem to have an ax to grind from either side. He’s not trying to defend Obama or take him down. I’ll admit that its rare to see an analysis these days that doesn’t at least seem to have one or the other agenda – no matter how deep people try to bury it.

More here

TPM – thanks Loriah

Addictinginfo: The Republican Party is tearing itself apart and many conservative voters are considering abandoning the sinking ship to vote for none other than President Obama in 2012.

According to a poll conducted by Wenzel Strategies on behalf of conservative publication World Net Daily, 1 in 5 Republicans will vote for or are leaning towards voting for President Obama in the upcoming Presidential Election in November.

Full post here

Otrainofthought

Steve Benen: Chronicling Mitt’s mendacity

Several weeks ago, I launched a new Friday afternoon feature, highlighting the most blatant Mitt Romney falsehoods of the week. It moved to Maddow Blog last week, and here’s this week’s installment. (It does not include mendacity from Romney’s CPAC speech this afternoon.)

More here

Toons

Bob Cesca

Maddow Blog

Eclectablog

Morning everyone ;-)

190 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 CTGirl
    February 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

Another beautiful day! Good morning!

2. February 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

Good morning all! :-) I got up pretty early here in California! o see what goodies Chips has for us today :-)

3. February 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

So how are the beltway morons spinning the bishops’ b.u.hurt this morn ? Have the serious morons like ej dionne ‘weighed’ in ?

• 15 africa
      February 11, 2012 at 9:50 am

Crickets from the pious ones.

• 16 Bill
      February 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

E. J. Dionne believes it is a good solution, but said it will not satisfy the right wingers.

• February 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

And did he call them out as nutters ? I bet not. fair & balanced shite

February 11, 2012 at 10:08 am

E.J. Dionne, sometimes we think these people who sit on tv are way smarter than we are. Wrong. A dam idiot knew that the right wingers wouldn’t be satisfied. Have they ever been satisfied with anything President Obama has done? Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 19 Bill
          February 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

Anniebella, your point is so true. I am amazed at their ignorance sometimes.

• 20 JoJothecat
          February 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

I think the only times right wingers were satisfied with a PBO decision was when he increased troops in afghanistan and when he killed bin laden and it was only temporary, they later found fault with it or said he was forced too or Bush really got bin laden. They will never be satisfied until PBO is out of office….and they might complain about that too because they have no one to hate.

• 22 isonprize
        February 11, 2012 at 11:29 am

and satisfying the right winger matters because…….?

• 23 Linda
      February 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

I saw him on last night but I cannot remember which show……..he is kind of creepy to me. I thought it was the Ed Show…but I don’t see that segment on the website.

He seemed wishy washy in his comments.

• 24 Puddin'
      February 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm

He told Rev Al that he wished PBO would have done “this” two weeks ago…and that PBO disappointed him and many because he went against his promise he made back in ’07 (or something or another)…anyhow, HE thinks PBO did the right thing. I have lost respect for E.J. because he know as well as we all know this birth control shite was fake outrage for no other reason than to take the spot light off of the GOOD ECONOMY news.

4. 25 carolyn
    February 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

A wealth of good viewing and reading this morning! Thanks…how do you do it!!!

5. February 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

February 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Good Morning chips and everyone here at TOD!

7. 28 africa
    February 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Good morning all. I see the storm ratcheted by beltway pundits was no match for the calm delivered by PBO, as usual. The president is always quiet in these brouhahas, sitting back watching the chatters twist in the wind.

Monday, they will all be spinning in the wind, starting with chief GOP talking points purveyor Joe Scarborough.

8. 29 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    February 11, 2012 at 9:55 am

GOOD MORNING TOD FAMILY…I NEED SOME HELP HERE…SOMEONE HAS POSTED ON MY FACEBOOK THAT THE STATE DEPT. HAS BEEN PAYING TO REFURBISH MOSQUES OVERSEAS AND IS PAYING FOR THEIR INTERNET SERVICE AS WELL…PLEASE HELP ME WITH AN ANSWER! I’LL KEEP CHECKING IN HERE TO SEE IF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT.

• 30 Bill
      February 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

Sue, ask them for a link. You should not feel obligated to run down crazy sounding statements. A caller on C-SPAN this morning said Planned Parenthood was founded by Hitler. One is liable to hear anything. It is the obligation of the person making the statement to back it up with facts.

February 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/03/funding-mosques-overseas/ I haven’t read the whole thing yet….so many RW looney sites on Google writing about this. Something MORE than what they say has to be the truth.

February 11, 2012 at 10:08 am

But the program isn’t the brainchild of President Barack Obama. The program was created by Congress in late 2000 under President Bill Clinton, and the first grants were announced under President George W. Bush in 2001. The State Department says that, in total, the fund has contributed nearly $26 million to approximately 640 cultural heritage sites in more than 100 countries, and more than half was given before Obama took office.

February 11, 2012 at 10:09 am

It’s true that mosques are among the cultural sites that have received grant money under this program. But temples and churches around the world also have received funding, contrary to AFA’s claim that the “secular left” would be upset if “these monies had been spent to repair Christian churches.” When we searched the State Department’s database and lists of 2009 and 2010 projects for “mosque” and “minaret,” we found that 30 mosques or minaret restoration projects had received funding under Bush, and seven such sites had been funded under Obama. Also, 29 projects for churches and cathedrals were funded under Bush and 13 under Obama

February 11, 2012 at 10:12 am

There’s more…but I hope this helps. Just as I thought, hair on fire moment for the wingnuts that need not be. They are DESPERATE!

• 39 SUE DUVALL SMITH
              February 11, 2012 at 10:40 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK…I’LL DISH THIS OVER TO THE PEOPLE IN MY CHURCH WHO GIVE ME A RASH…THAT’S CONSTANTLY BTWAY! BLESS YOU. THIS WILL NEED SOME WORK AND REBUTT…BECAUSE I’M SURE IT’S GOING EVERYWHERE!

• 40 SUE DUVALL SMITH
                February 11, 2012 at 11:01 am

I DID IT…LIKE A LADY…LOL…NOW HE CAN ……………..FILL IN THE BLANKS…MERCI’,GRACIAS AND THANK YOU! TOMORROW IS SUNDAY..IT SHOULD BE A ‘PEWBANGER!’

• 41 isonprize
                  February 11, 2012 at 11:40 am

“PEWBANGER”

Sue, you are a scream. So funny!! You have the patience of a saint. It is people like you who renew my faith in people.

• 42 SUE DUVALL SMITH
                    February 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

THANK YOU…I LOVE MY JESUS AND HE LOVES EVERYBODY. I LOVE PEOPLE WITH A PASSION AND I CERTAINLY LOVE THE RAINBOW OF ETHNICITY OUR LORD HAS BLESSED US WITH! THE GUY IN QUESTION SITS NOT TOO FAR BEHIND ME IN CHURCH…IT WILL BE INTERESTING..HOWEVER..THIS GIRL LOVES A CHALLENGE!

• 43 HZ
                      February 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Good Morning/Afternoon my Chips and TOD Family.

Thanks for all of the great read above, Chips.

Sue, I love you so very much. You keep my spirit running high. You are a fighter and a go get them. I love your word,”pewbanger.” I would love to be sitting next to you in your church on Sunday. Great warrior God has in a beautiful instrument like our beloved Sue. Love you so very much, sue. HZ

• 44 nospin
      February 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

here is a link to http://www.samhsa.gov/

Great resource for folks who need support with mental health issues.

February 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Yes, I’m watching on Whitehouse.gov live as we speak! It has a religious/spiritual theme because it involves religious community organizations, but it’s not the kind of religious preaching you’d hear from Santorum, etc., It’s more about getting people to take control of their own lives, their health, make wise choices about what to eat, exercising, etc..The people are fired up.

9. 48 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Blue girl at They gave us a Republic is simply Brilliant.

I cracked up throughout the entire article. She was spot on.

Two of my favorite lines from Blue girl

“And of course, as I watched this fight unfold, I heard the usual voices to my left mewling and whining about “imminent cave-ins” and being “sold out by Obama…again” but honestly, I just ignored them. (Yes, yes, at my peril, I know, but god-damn, they’re more annoying than chiggers.) ”

and “When I saw the Politico headline this morning proclaiming him “boxed in” I scoffed. “Bullshit,” I thought. “They’re out on a limb and he’s behind them with a saw.”

Thanks for the link Chips. It is an absolute MUST READ everybody.

• February 11, 2012 at 11:39 am

Definitely! That ‘more annoying than chiggers’ comment is gonna stick with me. Didn’t think anything could be more annoying than chiggers, but she’s on to something there.

• 50 yardarm756
      February 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

G’day all and a special hail to you nospin for this link. I was aol this a.m. but am ready to resume my watch on the bridge. Btw, Mrs. Blue girl kicked some ass.

• 51 susanne
      February 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm

what a wonderful read! love the story of her daughter and the uniform.i’m glad we’re past vilifying the catholic church for the way some rethugs co-opted some of the bishops. let the record read: yet another large group of americans is now officially wary and/or running from the rethugs.

February 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

Morning everyone :)

February 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

• 54 dotster3
      February 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

Haha—-“severely” amazing! Laughed also at the tweet that noted Willard used the word “severely” to describe his degree of conservatism because “super-duper conservative” would have sounded like he was trying too hard. (which he is)

• 55 HZ
        February 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I love Mr. David Axelrod!!!! Just plain smart. Glad he is on our team. “Severely amazing.” Got you Willard. Keep giving us these gems, Willard.HZ

February 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

They’re welcoming FLOTUS on stage – folks are screaming!

13. 63 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    February 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

WOW – Wonderful introduction of FLOTUS! This is an awe inspiring program — SHOULD be on C-SPAN rather than the CPAC hatefest!

14. 66 dotster3
    February 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

Thought Bill Maher was exactly right in identifying the real dividers in this country:

15. 68 Linda
    February 11, 2012 at 10:27 am

I have been e-mailing TeaNN for days complaining about that awful contributor Dana Loesch and her hatefilled comments.

First was her comment that she would also urinate on dead Afghan’s.

Then her lie that Planned Parenthood does NOT provide mammograms.

And this…”Liberals Only Cared About Breast Cancer If It Was A Way For Them To Push Abortion, Birth Control”

And several others…..but it now seems as though her husband was one of those ” Rappers” at CPAC who may have used the N-word in that pathetic rap they did.

Awful White Rappers Drop the N Word at CPAC, Receive Applause

They are claiming the word was ” knickers”.

16. February 11, 2012 at 10:32 am

17. 78 Don
    February 11, 2012 at 10:37 am

Yep, President Obama pulled a fast one and got the bishops, the GOP, and even some of us to take the bait. The least he could have done was give us cab fare to get back home after he got through with us.

18. February 11, 2012 at 10:39 am

This whole compromise thing was for the Left, not the Bishops.

WASHINGTON — For the White House, the decision announced Friday to soften a rule requiring religious-affiliated organizations to pay for insurance plans that offer free birth control was never really driven by a desire to mollify Roman Catholic bishops, who were strongly opposed to the plan. Rather, the fight was for Sister Carol Keehan — head of an influential Catholic hospital group, who had supported President Obama’s health care law — and Catholic allies of the White House seen as the religious left…

19. February 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

Mornin TOD Hope everyone is having a fine Saturday – Chips! great line up of articles up top – you rock as always! Off to go register voters at a library here in town. Have a great day everyone!! :-)

20. 84 donna dem 4 obama
    February 11, 2012 at 10:44 am

Mrs O is such an awesome First Lady!!

21. 88 Don
    February 11, 2012 at 10:46 am

BWD, people are waking up this morning to the fact that once again President Obama proved he’s the smartest person in the room.

22. 89 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 10:47 am

I adore FLOTUS

23. 95 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 10:49 am

So many folks want Mrs O’s signature.

I hope she doesn’t sign any of those books. Especially if one of them was written by that Kantor woman

24. 100 taiping1
    February 11, 2012 at 10:54 am

Chips. Wonderful round-up for a Saturday morning! Just wanted to emphasize again how much you are loved for your honesty, passion, dedication, and fierce protection of this community. Would be interested in hearing other’s response to Fallows’ article. I thought it was typical white elitist full-of-self claptrap. From all account Ihave read (Plouffe’s, Alter, Wolffe) PBO is a natural executive: skilled at running a meeting, getting contributions from all, setting goals, synthesizing, reaching conclusions. He ran a near billion dollar start-up that captured the presidency. He makes the typical assumption that they could have gotten more stimulus if they had only asked, and ignoring how much got packed into the bill and how tightly the program was run, and with such transparency (thanks VP Biden). He minimizes the racist environment and constraints of Blue Dogs in talking about Health Care. Blames him for Coakley (as if he can be responsible for every campaign). I think his foreign policy accomplishments are a lot less bumbling than he implies. There’s more; it left a bad taste in my mouth.

• 101 MB32
      February 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

I generally like Fallows, especially his insight on China but like you, that article hit me the wrong way. When I recently picked up my copy of the Atlantic and saw that he had written an article about PBO, I was excited until I read it. The foreign policy stuff was okay but the rest of it sounded like the usual drivel from bitter DC insiders, “he doesn’t connect, blah, blah.” It was just less emo and more rational because Fallows himself doesn’t seem to be that type. So, yeah, I was disappointed in the article too

• February 11, 2012 at 11:22 am

That is exactly my response, MB32. It started out well and then got into the usual misguided nitpicking that is the stock and trade of these people who think they know better that President Obama. NOT THIS TIME.

• 103 Betsy
        February 11, 2012 at 11:59 am

I agree with you. I read it too, and the picture he draws of President Obama does not match up with what you see, the actions PBO has taken, etc. I was disappointed in it too. It had much of the same criticisms without very good analysis and the anonymous sources can say anything, can’t they?

• 104 ChristiMTL
      February 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I thought I was the one because I saw a lot supporters of the President linking the article on Twitter.

I read it a couple of days ago and I didn’t like it…It was not all bad of course but so many things I didn’t like. I thought it was me who didn’t get it, language barrier on my part perhaps I thought….I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one.

This in particular really annoyed me:

”If Barack Obama loses this fall, he will forever seem a disappointment: a symbolically important but accidental figure who raised hopes he could not fulfill and met difficulties he did not know how to surmount.”

It is so wrong and not true.

• February 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Just remember, President Obama can, does, and will continue to run circles around these people. He is sitting in the Oval Office, right? And he is actually doing great things for this country that have never been done before, and should have been done.

Where are these people who put so much of their’ low grade knowledge’ daily out on this President? Sitting in a cubicle trying to get the next story out for a few scoffers to churn over as they sip their elitist tea and coffee that was made by the very housekeepers who this President can and does relate to with much humbleness as he fights constantly for them daily;yet in all of this ‘low grade crap that they churn out daily, will only make them look like the fools that they are when they try to make this President look like less than he is. Trust me, that will make these non-essentials in our world look like foolish people that they are everyday.

We know, see daily, and have a record of our President that in such tumultuous times, can and will stand against any previous Presidents of these United States. We move on and work with a President who has a longer vision for a great country that can still be great for many generations to come. We are Pressing On with # 44 for 4 more years. Let them write about that when he takes the oath again in front of the entire world again. Yes He Will.HZ

25. 108 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 10:54 am

Good the secret service shoves back any books for signature. Good on ‘em.

February 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

• 115 donna dem 4 obama
      February 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

Oh my what will the silly Washington punditry do…oh yeah that’s right they will ignore this because it doesn’t fit their meme of doom and gloom for the Dems.

I have to admit that a year ago I didn’t believe we had a chance in this world to get the House back but I am surely starting to believe that YES WE CAN give this President a Congress to work with in his second term.

27. 117 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

FLOTUS represents women in America well. She is so amazing, so compassionate, so strong and so loved. LOVE LOVE LOVE this woman.

28. 119 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

cracking up at the secret service guy bobbing his head to the music. lolol

29. 120 lovingandlaughing
    February 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

Good Morning everyone! Welcome to another wonderful day when we can be so proud of our POTUS and FLOTUS!

30. 121 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 11:01 am

Crowd yelling “We LOVE YOU Mrs. Obama”

31. February 11, 2012 at 11:02 am

That was invigorating!!!!!!!!

32. 124 donna dem 4 obama
    February 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

Mrs Obama will be hosting a conference call on Monday afternoon with AA’s for Obama supporters from accross the country:

You can register to be a part of this call here:

• 125 nospin
      February 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

just curious Donna dem – why isn’t the link directly from WH.gov? Was this link provided in a direct email from the dems or from the WH?

Just hesitant to register for something without knowing the source.

• 126 donna dem 4 obama
        February 11, 2012 at 11:13 am

Actual phone call conference calls are never linked directly to the WH. Maestro is always used when we have to call-in for conference calls. Also, as I understand the campaign rules you cannot use the WH for campaign events. This is why when the President does Fundraisers its not on the WH live link. Those have to be separate from the governing activities. The email is from Stephanie Brown at BarackObama.com

• 127 nospin
          February 11, 2012 at 11:15 am

ok now I feel comfortable. That works for me. as long as it is linked to someone representing him, I am fine with it.

Thanks. registering now.

• 128 donna dem 4 obama
            February 11, 2012 at 11:33 am

nospin, are you a member of AA’s for Obama? If not, you can sign up to join here and you will be on their mailing list.

There are other groups at OFA as well. We supporters should all be part of one or more groups at OFA. They also have:

Women for Obama
            Asian Americans for Obama
            LGBT for Obama
            People of Faith for Obama
            Jewish Americans for Obama
            Veterans and Military Famlies for Obama
            Young Americans for Obama
            Latinos for Obama

• February 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

YES, I agree with Donna. Joining these groups means you get regular email updates and invitations to conference calls with top WH administration as well as POTUS, VPOTUS and FLOTUS. Always very informative.

• 130 nospin
              February 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I get emails and letters from certain groups to include Women and Young Americans for Obama and I usually post the events here. But the link you posted above looked different from the communications I usually get. Thanks for the follow up.

• February 11, 2012 at 11:36 am

It’s definitely safe and secure, nospin. You will get an email with the conference code.

33. 132 Melanie
    February 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

Wow FLOTUS is great on the rope line. She really knows how to work a crowd. Wonder if the J-5 was from her personal Spotify list:))

34. 133 MB32
    February 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

I just love the first lady. She is a powerful speaker and what she is doing with Let’s Move is amazing. Its too bad she doesn’t have an interest in political office beyond PBO because I think she would have a wonderful future and be quite effective as a Senator, etc. She’s so amazing… now its time for me to move, clean up the house, run errands, etc. :)

35. February 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

I’m pretty sure the SS is glad that is over. Mrs O was seriously making them crazy.

36. 136 Debz
    February 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

Morning all. I thought Fallows article was interesting, I appreciated the fact that rather than comparing PBO to specific Presidents, he put the office in historical context, making clear that all Presidents walk into the WH unprepared and they are judged by how they grow in office. He also was honest about the left’s complaints about Clinton who is now considered some liberal hero. I agree with him that a President will not be considered to be great unless he has a second term. Carter’s mid east accord has been forgotten. Also I was happy to read that dems didn’t want to comment during an election year. What I wish he would have added to the article is the fact that PBO walked into the biggest disaster since Lincoln, FDR had only a depression that was already in full swing and no war. He also should have talked about the unprecedented filibusters, and the fact that we have the most extremist members of Congress since the 1850s. Also, no one should write about this Presidency without discussing the fact that President Obama is the first African American President. Falllows only mentioned it in passing, but it is wrong not to go into some depth on the subject. PBO is under constant attack by the right who may as well be burning crosses on the WH lawn, and the complaints from the left are nothing more than the rantings of white privileged class. The demeaning language they use, the distrust, (“he’s going to cave”). Also, no President in history has had hate radio and a 24/7cable channel devoted to destroying him., they were just getting started when Clinton was in office. His Presidency can not be looked at in the same way as those who came before, that should be left to historians in the future.

• February 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

I disagreed with the article, although I do give Fallows benefit of doubt that article was written in unbiased look. First NO PRESIDENT ever enters office knowing everything. Second, every President encounters push back & obstruction with opposition party, and even members from their own party. But President Obama has faced MORE VITRIOL than any other. He hadn’t had ONE day in Office, when that dickhead Mitch McConnel vowed to make President Obama a one term President.

I disagreed with article assumption that it’s either dumb luck that got Pres Obama this far, or he was too naive. I do NOT think that was the case for President Obama. People (esp emo-progs) think that he’s stupid for continually trying to negotiate or give benefit of doubt to GOP. I do not think that’s what he is doing. President Obama KNOWS that GOP are morons, and he knows that they are crazy & pushing their luck. But he keeps trying by setting an example. In some cases, he sets the trap, and lets the morons walk into it, all the while smiling as he watches them fall off a cliff.

I think above all President Obama keeps trying to do what’s right to the best of his ability. And he always has realistic expectations on outcome, so instead of going for NOTHING and DRAMA off the top, he’ll go for middle ground, knowing even that will cause drama, because NOTHING he does will be something MSM or GOP will let happen without some bitching and bellyaching.

• 138 isonprize
        February 11, 2012 at 11:54 am

Spot on, pinkbunny, spot on! There is nothing lucky or naive about Pres. Obama’s tenure thus far.

Lucky? I don’t think so. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Besides, nobody is that lucky. The things that have been accomplished during PBO’s first administration could not be attributed to luck. He’s accomplished way too much.

And naive? Ooooohhh, far, far from naive. If anything, the folks who keep underestimating PBO are the naive ones. To quote my favorite passage from the “Republic” link I just read… “When I saw the Politico headline this morning proclaiming him “boxed in” I scoffed. “Bullshit,” I thought. “They’re out on a limb and he’s behind them with a saw.”

• 139 JoJothecat
          February 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm

so true isonprize, whenever I hear the GOP, media pundits, and the left start talking about “they have PBO cornered now..what do YOU THINK he should do?”…I think about Wiley Coyote (them) with the anvil and the roadrunner (PBO) going “meep, meep”, and Wiley meets ACME anvil.

• February 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Truth!

“…Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

Oprah believes this, too! ;)

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together – WE MUST!
          YES.WE.CAN, Again…Obama/Biden 2012!
          WE CAN’T WAIT/WE CAN’T GO BACK…So, LET’S STAY TOGETHER 2012! ;)
          PRESS ON!

• 141 Mae who love our CIC
        February 11, 2012 at 11:59 am

I like what you are saying. The GOP is motivated by hate. President Obama is motivated by love. Love always casts out hate.

• 142 ChristiMTL
        February 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I so agree with your analysis pinkbunny92…

• 143 Betsy
      February 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Excellent analysis. Thanks for this. I always find it hard to express what I am thinking and am so glad there are so many like you who can capture my own ideas so perfectly. I knew instinctively that something was wrong with the article, but couldn’t put my finger on it. Thanks again.

February 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Debz, i get so dam tired of so call supporters of President Obama talking about him caving. Where is that article, I want to read it.

• 145 isonprize
        February 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Anniebella, scroll up to the Smartypants link that Chica posted above. The Atlantic article by Fallows is linked in the Smartypants article.

• 146 FoxfireTX
      February 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’ve lurked here for a long time, basically since BWD stopped her blog. Long time supporter of PBO, was the volunteer coordinator for my large county in TX during the 2008 campaign. I’ve read this article several times and it has caused me to really think hard about the last 3 years. I disagree wth much of it, think it does not give enough emphasis to his foreign policy successes as laid out in the Economist but do think that it is basically correct in the analysis of the budget fight last year. I suspect PBO did underestimate the crazy class of 2010 reps and did not believe they would let the US default. On this he was wrong and it cost him mightily. But in the long term, it also was a wake up call to many and it gave him time to adjust and recover. It also allowed the country to see just how crazy this new class of repubs are in their willingness to take us all down. I also believe that Fallow is probably correct in his assessment that PBO did not have the national network of advisers that Clinton and others did at the time he took office. This did not serve him well, particularly given the size of the problems he faced. But he has clearly learned from it all, and has found his voice as evidenced by the events of the last couple of weeks. All this means is that is that we have to ensure he has that second term to put the lessons of the first term to work.

37. 147 anniebella
    February 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

I just love the introduction of FLOTUS by the Pastor. And the crowd, Wow We!!!! They were happy to see her. FLOTUS is such a great speaker and I love listening to her. The entire program this morning was enjoyable.

38. February 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

Morning all. Wow, the Prez did it, as I knew he would. Chips,my dear, you are human as we all are, and we all have our moments. That is why the support here on this site by all the many -faceted personalities and voices, even through the disagreements and perceived scolding, is sooo important to keep us on the straight and narrow, sometimes a tad beat down,but always fired-up and ready to roll! Go TODERS.
    Today is Kiddies Carnival in Trinidad, so I am off to watch the street parade and see them strut their portrayals. As they say…laters!

February 11, 2012 at 11:16 am

Won’t able to use THIS argument anymore:)

When multiplied by thousands of similarly situated taxpayers, this after-the-fact tax-cut windfall contributed significantly to the budget deficit, even though its value to the economy remains dubious, as numerous analysts of capital- gains rate cuts have concluded.
    At a time of ballooning federal deficits and frayed social safety nets, higher capital-gains rates can contribute meaningfully to deficit reduction and to helping a middle class that is struggling to stay afloat, without hampering good investments in American businesses.
    The Romney tax returns vividly illustrate that fair tax rates don’t deter those whom Republicans now routinely call “job creators” from investing.

40. February 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

As modernization of the nation’s electric grid moves forward, consumers and businesses are experiencing fewer outages, faster power restoration when outages do occur, more efficient operations, and cost savings.  Here are some of the latest examples of how Smart Grid Investment Grants from the Energy Department are helping the electric grid to better serve the American people.

41. 160 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

The clip posted above regarding Fox Noise misrepresentation of the Obama Administrations move to cover contraception was the same garbage spewed by Tweety and LOD. Will they both apologize for willful ignorance, blatant lies or not?

• 161 donna dem 4 obama
      February 11, 2012 at 11:38 am

Nope they just keep rolling along as if they never said the things they said. I blasted tweety via email. He never responds to twitter. Also, most of these male dominated shows had men “experts” on to tell me what I should think about my Health Care Rights. I let MSNBC know how I felt about that as well.

February 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Exactly, and I notice that MSNBC is now doubling down on the lies that were being spread initially (see my comment below). I’ve been emphasizing the fact that the media is the chief source of misinformation where this administration is concerned – not the so-called “poor” messaging of the administration. The President himself came out yesterday and said what needed to be spread, yet this morning, this WaPo editor on Alex Twitt is spewing garbage about “so many people, Dems, Repubs, Catholics are unhappy” about the contraceptives deal, when she doesn’t report any data to support her wild claims. And Ms. Twitt of MSNBC doesn’t have the decency to call her out on it.

When people simply echo the media’s misinformation in their posts without challenging their sources it’s a problem, and it’s precisely why the media has been able to get away with this nonsense all along.

42. February 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

Good morning everybody from a sunny but very cold Chicago.
    I was thinking this morning how boring everything is getting.
    I come here in the morning and all I see is good news. I come back in the afternoon and there is even more good news. I check in at night and guess what, more good news.
    It is getting to be like the movie Groundhog Day.
    The only excitement anymore is when we sometimes forget just how good this man is in handling things and have moments of doubt. Chips, that isn’t directed solely at you, we all do that from time to time.
    I think it is hard, after all the years of cynicism and losing trust in all politicians to actually believe there could really be someone like our President, who actually talks the talk and then walks the walk.

• 168 JoJothecat
      February 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm

beautifully said japa21. I bet this is much better than last year in Chicago with all the snow you got? We had two beautiful warm days in SoCal and today it’s cold and rain is coming in a few days…oh well.

• 169 yardarm756
      February 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

japa21 your fellow Chicagoan couldn’t agree with you more. 4 more for 44!

43. February 11, 2012 at 11:32 am

Still no equal time on msnbc, despite calls from Democratic senators.
    This lady was just on saying everybody is pissed off about this contraception Thingy, and this is only the beginning.
    WTF?
    Anyways, my point is msnbc has gone hard right on this issue, and they are ok with it, as they have gotten complaints from Boxer and the like!

February 11, 2012 at 11:42 am

OMG! I also saw that WaPo “journalist” LYING out of her arse about the contraception thing saying that it’s going to be a “problem” for the administration on the campaign trail, how so many people, Dems, Repubs, Catholics are STILL not satisfied…etc…

This is just absurd how this woman was allowed to LIE as a journalist on National TV without blinking. No facts, no data, just yapping her flytrap, and that’s what MSNBC calls “reporting?” This woman sounded more like an RNC spokesperson than a supposed objective journalist from a national news outlet.

I’m going to write MSNBC about this. This is WAY beyond the pale.

• February 11, 2012 at 11:52 am

Exactly! And they know it and are deliberately misleading their viewers, sort of all fox newsy like!

• 173 Debz
          February 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm

This is next week’s media meme and they are going to beat it to death, facts be damned! It’s about time women’s groups got out there and started screaming, they have been too quiet for the past 3 years, while the gop has been doing all they can to take away women’s rights. Now the msm is getting ready to push the gop/Santoum extremist anti-woman agenda as a good thing. It would be nice if women in public positions would get ahead of this like they did with the Komen disaster.

February 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

hopefruit2, Who was the woman and what show was she on? i don’t mind sending these lying folks a email.

• 176 ChristiMTL
      February 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Do you guys know her name?

I’m not sure if it’s the same one I saw on Hardball a couple of times.

I kept shaking my head and thinking: Who the heck is that lying idiot?…..

If it’s her

Yickes!

She was awful

44. February 11, 2012 at 11:34 am

The Obama budget for 2013 has a deficit of 913 billion. That is an improvement!

45. 178 donna dem 4 obama
    February 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

Heading out to Chesapeake Beach to recruit volunteers and register voters.

I’ll also be fundraising for the President so if you can make a $5 donation to my grassroots fundraising page for President Obama it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great Productive Day TOD.

46. 179 LOL
    February 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Hey CHip….Have you seen this?

“You’ve got a full scale Republican working for you”

• 180 nospin
      February 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm

thanks for this LOL. The comments also included Republicans equally committed to supporting PBO in 2012.

February 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Geez LOL – We are clearly on the same wavelength here..I had just copied the link off Twitter and about to paste here :)

Thanks for posting – this is a great story! Indeed I think there a MANY others out there like Richard who are working for PBO because common sense and PROGRESS speaks to them, not RW ideology in the form of hate, division, and fear.

47. 182 Betsy
    February 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I just wanted to say that out of 205 students I teach everyday, about 70 did my extra credit on the State of the Union. All but 2, loved the speech, thought it was inspiring and really listened to the issues. In addition, most of them had their parents watch with them, and as I encouraged them to watch it on CSPAN without commentary, most of them did so. I got 4 parents so far telling me they loved the assignment for their kids, and one email thanking me for teaching her son to learn what issues are important for today’s world. It was really great.

48. 184 nospin
    February 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm

ok. Gotta get off my arse and do something constructive. Heading out to my local OFA office to see what I can do to help today.

catch ya’ll later.

49. 185 Linda
    February 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Rupert Murdoch Flying To London After Eight More Arrested In Tabloid Bribery Scandal

LONDON — Britain’s biggest-selling tabloid newspaper was fighting to contain the damage after five of its employees were arrested Saturday in an inquiry into the alleged payment of bribes to police and other officials, detectives and the newspaper’s parent company said.

Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. said the five employees from The Sun tabloid had been detained and that police had searched their homes and the group’s London offices, potentially deepening the scandal over British tabloid wrongdoing.

A 39-year-old female employee at Britain’s defense ministry, a 36-year-old male member of the armed forces and a 39-year-old serving police officer with Surrey Police, were also arrested, police said.

The development follows the arrest of four current and former journalists at the newspaper last month in connection with the same bribery inquiry.

• 186 JoJothecat
      February 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I hope they arrest him too…..so glad he’s getting his just deserts.

• February 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Same here!

Although CNN and, sometimes, MSNBC copy Fox “News,” it ain’t a legit news organization!

Ailes and Fox “News” need to be “takin’ down,” too….

It’s a 24/7, 365 days a year PBHO bashin’, communications/PR and propaganda arm of the TeaPUBLICAN Party…Grrr! :mad:

Enough *IS* Enough!

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together – WE MUST!
        WE CAN’T WAIT/WE CAN’T GO BACK…So, LET’S STAY TOGETHER 2012! ;)
        PRESS ON!

50. February 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

New post everyone:

Will start catching up with comments now, just back ;-)

51. February 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I just left this message on the United States Conference of Bishops with the knowledge that my email will not influence them one iota. It was cathartic none-the-less.

“As a former Catholic, I rejoice in your continued resistance to birth control because it means that you will push more and more people away from the Catholic Church. I rejoice in that knowledge that the Catholic Church is obsolete in everyone’s minds but your own.The horrific child abuse cover-ups and your own repressed sexual issues have made you the living symbol of hypocrisy in this 21st century. You will surely lose this birth control battle, along with what little credibility the Catholic Church has as a moral force in this world. That is the comforting silver lining in all of this, you are waging a PR battle over women’s rights and gay rights that won’t be won. That shipped sailed in the 14th century and will NEVER return. Deal with it.

Ghandi said it perfectly:
    “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

RSS OFA