Feb

evening all

Secretary of Defense Leo Panetta, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden at an event to announce a new report outlining opportunities and best practices for states to better support military spouses serving in professions with state licensure requirements at the Pentagon in Washington

More here – transcript here

CNN

Nate Silver: The last time I considered Barack Obama’s re-election chances in this magazine, in mid-November, things were looking pretty bleak for the president. The statistical model I used measured three key factors — a president’s approval rating, economic growth and the ideological orientation of his opponent — and taken together, they showed that Obama had become a slight underdog to win re-election.

Three months later, his position is much stronger……

Full article here

PPP: Michigan is looking more and more like it won’t be in the swing state column this fall.  PPP’s newest poll there finds Barack Obama leading the entire Republican field by double digits.

The biggest surprise in the numbers might be how badly Obama is beating Mitt Romney- he leads him by 16 points at 54-38. That’s a major departure from PPP’s previous 3 Michigan President polls, which found Obama ahead by only 4-7 points. Romney’s seen a major decline in his personal favorability in the state over the last 6 months from 39/43 to now 29/58. His numbers have dropped across the board but the most striking shift is with independents. He’s gone from a +14 spread with them at 48/34 to a -20 one at 32/52.

More here

Link – thanks Rikyrah

USA Today: President Obama has outraised the top Republican presidential fundraiser in two-thirds of the country, including battleground states such as Pennsylvania and North Carolina considered crucial to his re-election prospects, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

In 19 states, Obama collected more than his four major GOP rivals combined… Obama also has a fundraising edge over Romney in all but two of a dozen swing states – Florida and Michigan, where Romney was born and his father served as governor in the 1960s.

More here

Today:

Thursday: PBO will attend campaign events in Corona del Mar, California before traveling to San Francisco, California to attend campaign events. He will spend the night in San Francisco.

Friday: PBO will travel to the Seattle where he will continue to discuss his blueprint for an economy built to last. He will also attend campaign events in the Seattle area before returning to Washington, D.C. later in the evening.

The Week

BMG: The next big prize in the GOP primaries is Michigan, one of Mitt Romney’s five home states. He’s released an ad showing him driving around in a fancy Chrysler while he talks about how much he loves Michigan, and all…..

And here’s the problem: that Chrysler that he’s driving is a 300 model, and the 300 is made in Canada…..

More here

Thanks Loriah

President Barack Obama greets people as he arrives at Los Angeles International Airport

263 Responses to “evening all”

1. 1 EWOK2
    February 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hi everyone.

2. February 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Uh huh, so it seems that the Asian actress who starred in that Hoekstra ad has apologized.

Star Of Hoekstra “Racist” Ad In Michigan Apologizes

I guessing she got an earful from her people about this ad.

3. 15 tally
    February 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Wish AF1 would land in BUR – too bad it’s not really big enough for Heavies.

4. February 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Denise Bestman: 11-year-old becomes post-Grammy sensation by covering Adele

There were several amazing performances during Sunday night’s Grammy Awards, but one in particular is standing out today among the rest. Eleven-year-old Denise Bestman has become a YouTube sensation after starring in a 30-second Target commercial that aired during the ceremony

5. 18 Pamela
    February 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

MythRobney: dumbass.

6. 19 tally
    February 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm
  7. February 15, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Chips, you made my day with the first two pictures. I almost didn’t scroll any further, but my wife caught staring at the computer and drooling, so I had to quickly move on.

As usual, a day full of good news. And as to the Michigan poll, keep in mind this is with the good citizens of the great state of Michigan, home of the first land grant university and still the greatest, MSU, have been subjected to these clowns so they are probably at their ceiling.

Wait until the campaign begins in earnest.

• 21 utaustinliberal
      February 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Hahahaha. You’re funny Japa21. The ladies of TOD with Chips leading them, end up on the naughty mat so much we tend to forget the men of TOD also need their own naughty mats. :lol:

• February 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Japa, you make a good point about the people of Michican “being subject to these clowns,” because it’s true of voters in every one of the Republican held states right now. This is something Nate Silver just fails to “get” in his analysis. States like Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey know what’s it’s like to have a Republican takeover and it’s going to produce a big “ew” factor in the election. I don’t for one minute believe that the president’s populist message is going to turn off voters in these states, nor do I accept that Rick Santorum could carry a populist message with any credibility whatsoever. The guy is so visibly slimy, personally repellent and openly bigoted that he actually carries an anti-charisma gene. Nate is used to dealing with figures, but he sure doesn’t get people.

8. February 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm

+###############++++++#++############++
    +################+++++#++############++

9. 26 GGail
    February 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hiya Chipsticks!
    You are doing a Barack-tastic day today :D

Chrysler 300 – made in Canada (hahahahahahaha – Mittens just can’t seem to catch a break – hahahahahaha)

• February 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Chips-
      I figured out that the President is, at least, to raise 10 million smackers, green back, squibs, dough, on this trip.
      NOT bad, not bad!

• 34 Jessica
      February 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I’m still amazed at how much of a production it is just for him to go somewhere.

• February 15, 2012 at 7:27 pm

It’s an extraordinary operation Jessica, isn’t it? It never fails to amaze me, no matter how many times I watch.

• 36 GGail
          February 15, 2012 at 8:32 pm

POTUS flew over my house about 15 minutes ago (I went outside when I heard the helicopter hum) and is on his way to his first shindig. It’s chilly, but the sun has come back out.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I ran outside when I saw all the helicopters lifting up from AF1, and I waved when three of them went over my home (even though I knew they couldn’t see me…). Very exciting! Glad I worked from home today.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Interesting documentaries on Discovery Channel – “Secret Service Secrets”
        “The Home Front” re efforts to protect the president on US soil
        “Campaign Nightmare” re protecting the president on the campaign trail

Each documentary includes incidents with past presidents as well as PBO but good bit on PBO especially in the campaign documentary – including the 400-fold increase in threats against PBO mostly racially based, the strategies and training for the SS protection. Aired 2/13 but the older SS documentaries had repeat airings and expect these will also

10. February 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Ok, yes, it’s Fox. But, on the other hand, IT’S FREAKING FOX. Even they can’t hide the news.

A new Fox news poll of swing states (Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, NewMexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin) leads all of his possible Republican challengers in 2012. The President leads former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney 47 – 39, former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum 48 – 39, along with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) by double digits.

Yes, it’s early, yes, we need to keep our noses to the grindstone. But, the wind is at our backs. Obamanos!

Story here: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/fox-swing-state-poll-obamas-up

11. February 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Tweety is such a sexist dingbat. He says: “I don’t watch tv like most regular people do. I mean…….Regular people come home, they’re tired, they go into the living room and watch tv while their wives in some cases are making dinner, or in some weirder cases, the husband is making dinner……..” {{{chuckle, chuckle}}}
    ——seriously?! WTF is wrong with this asscrack?!!! Did he sleep through the feminist movement? What? husbands don’t cook? mutherfracker! This reminds me of the time Weinershnitzle was unmasked as a grade a PERV and Tweety turned to Coward Fineman and asked if the wife was somehow at fault for her sleazy stinking husband being a perv. I’m telling you, some people just can’t evolve. :roll:

12. February 15, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Just a random thought: The Romney campaign makes John McCain’s 2008 GE effort look like a model of military precision.

13. February 15, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Trader Joe’s & Coalition of Immokalee Workers, Sign Fair Food Agreement

Good for the workers who organized and applied pressure, I am glad Trader Joes agreed

14. February 15, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Energy Department to Launch New Energy Innovation Hub Focused on Advanced Batteries and Energy Storage

15. February 15, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Bringing this over from the previous thread

This is a very cool chart

Obama’s Budget Health Care Savings In One Chart

16. February 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Hi TOD Family! Checked in on you during work so not too much to catch up on. Saw Scott Walker gave Pres.Obama a jersey with the #1 on it. It better not mean one-term president or I’m going to WI to kick Walker’s ass. Also read on TPM that he claims he has a stomach flu so can’t make a certain even with the Prez? :roll: – YEAH RIGHT.

17. February 15, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Three months later, his position is much stronger.

Full article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/nate-silver-obama-reelection-chances.html?_r=1

I’m always kind of puzzled by Nate Silver’s analysis of polls so far out from elections, even though I know there’s huge respect for him and his record.

In the previous article he refers to above, it was all doom about PBO’s 2012 chances, based on the polls and state of the economy at the time. Now he’s way more upbeat about his chances, based on current polls and the improvement in the economy.

But isn’t this kind of analysis, well, a bit pointless? It’s only February, who knows what might happen between now and November? I know he allows for that, but I’m still struggling to see the point in guessing how PBO will fare in November based on what’s happening in February.

Enough of my puzzlement, all I hope from the current waves of polls is that the msm will be forced – however much it might hurt – to change their ‘PBO is doooooooooooomed!’ narrative. And narratives matter, a lot.

• 74 Melanie
      February 15, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I agree with you Chips that narratives do matter a lot. Feelings build based on narratives both positively and negatively and right now it’s undeniable that the narrative is more positive than it was 3-4 months ago. As far as Nate goes he’s a numbers geek and this is what he does; I gather it’s his passion. A lot can happen in nine months as we all know but it’s interesting to note I’ve heard several people speak about the period between September of the third term and March of the fourth term actually being the crucial period. Whatever the trajectory is during that period, many people start to lock in and make up their minds. If this is true POTUS trajectory is looking really good right now and the current narrative is reflective of that.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Ah, that’s interesting about the Sept-March period Melanie, and it makes makes perfect and obvious sense. The trajectory looks encouraging right now, and I’d guess the campaign can’t wait to get its ‘hands’ on Romney or Santorum – and, I’d imagine, PBO can’t wait to debate whichever one of the freaks emerges from the clown race. I’d like to think at that point the trajectory will go through the roof.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Chips..that is what I want to see happen to. The end of the narrative of the “doom” of Presidents Obama’s re-election chances. I want Americans to shift gears, re-think the possibilities, and feel that Yes not nly is the re-election of President Obama possible…but it’s what’s best for our country.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hiya Carla, I’m with you. I’m always afraid to hope too much, but I get the feeling people are finally waking up and realizing that this fella is doing a pretty remarkable job. Let’s hope it stays that way.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I like Nate, but he’s slave to the numbers. Not everything is number. But the polls whore that is me feel much much batter now. I only pray for gas prices not to take us back, and for the war against Iran to start after the election….

• February 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I’m a complete polls junkie too BWD. I wish I wasn’t, it’s not good for the health (or sanity) – and I don’t know why I am. Because good (as they are now) or bad (as they have been) I know everything is likely to change, for the better or worse, between now and November. Yeah, I get the feeling Silver deals with it all like it’s science, or a mathematical equation. And when human beings are involved, it’s anything but scientific.

But damn that, the latest polls have made me a happy bunny – so I’ll take that, and stop puzzling.

The gas prices are infuriating, one step forward, one and a half steps back. Iran? I still reckon the biggest worry on that issue is Netanyahu, not Ahmadinejad. We’ll see.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Chips, it is what he gets paid to do. If he didn’t, he probably wouldn’t have a job.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Well, that’s true. I’m not criticizing him at all, I’m just always curious why these poll analysis pieces by him are regarded as almost gospel by his media colleagues – regardless of whether they’re good or bad for PBO – when we are so far away from the election. Even GOPolitico frat boy Byron Tau was linking him today! Unless you’re armed with a crystal ball I don’t know how you can make any solid 2012 predictions until we’re much closer to election time.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:36 pm

That’s what they get paid to do. After all, none of them have ever had an original or fact based thought in their lives. Silver at least works from concrete data.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I remember a lot of people questioning Nate Silver’s sanity back then, and having a lot of fun at his expense. He got raked over the coals and rightly so. I don’t pay attention to anything he says until two months prior to an election.

• 84 donna dem 4 obama
      February 15, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Chips, its just theatre at this point. Nate’s job is to project the outcome of these elections and he gets much more favorable views and followers when he gives these more positive outlooks for PBO. Our lazy, sloppy media has forced me to reluctantly become a narrative believer (I was hoping that the public was smarter than to be led by their noses but they proved me wrong with the mid-term election). If the media paints a positive narrative about this President the public tends to follow suite so I’ll take whatever we can get from these bozos.

• February 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hi Donna, the narrative thing infuriates me, it’s a pathetic media’s way of saying ‘don’t bother me with facts, my mind’s made up’. And every piece of news that comes out, they try to fit it in to their narrative, even if the news smashes a very large hole in the story they’ve been trying to tell. Whether it’s their laziness, or personal agendas, I don’t know. But anyway, with all these latest polls and improving economic figures, they’ll really have no choice but to ‘tweak’ that narrative. I’ll take that too.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Nate gets on my nerves every now and then, especially since he left his own site. Remember the big “Obama is Toast” article he wrote? And his tweets about the prospects of Ron Paul and Santorum make me gag. I mean, I know he’s a data guy but sometimes it seems like a big game to him. His computational models may not hold up over time but I suppose he works on the theoretics behind them in his own fashion. Whatever.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Nate Silver’s analysis doesn’t take into account the alternative. It’s one thing to lament that the most severe economic disaster since the Great Depression is taking longer than five minutes to recover. It’s quite another to imply that the people who caused the most severe economic disaster since the Great Depression, who also haven’t lifted a finger to help the recovery and are actually advocating the exact same policies that caused the disaster – that they would somehow be better equipped to handle the recovery than the person who has consistently come up with idea after idea, and who’s been almost single-handedly and optimistically holding the country together. When you look at all the facts as they actually are, it’s impossible to conclude that the GOP should have even one finger on the levers of power.

• February 15, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Theo, Nate grossly underestimates personality, appeal and organization. Romney and Santorum have serious problems relating to actual human beings. Each of them grows more repellent the longer you know them. Neither can match the world class quality of the President’s Re-election campaign no matter how much SuperPac money they throw around. There is going to be good news and bad news in the months ahead, but you will see Romney and Santorum freaking out about the news and becoming hateful in their attacks while the president quietly goes about addressing problems and finding solutions. The contrast will be stark just as it was with McCain.

• February 15, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I totally agree with you, Jackie. The GOP and pundits think the President will run some expensive negative campaign, but I just think, based on what we’ve seen of him, that he’ll focus on his record, his policy proposals and contrasting them with the failed GOP policies. He’s got a stellar record and he’ll be touting it proudly.

18. February 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Question: Ed or Star Trek the movie which I’ve never seen before but have always wanted to watch but missed last night because I had a late client?

19. February 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Give Ed Schultz another shot….he is back in love with the President…loved his speech in Wisconsin as he spoke about Good Union Manufacturing jobs!!!

• 96 Ladyhawke
      February 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I was waiting for Ed Schultz to say that President Obama had missed an opportunity because he didn’t say (FILL IN THE BLANK). You know, something that Ed Schultz thinks he should have said. Spare me. As I said yesterday, I wish these gasbags on cable would stay out of President Obama’s head. He’s got this. He knows what he is doing. Thank you very much……

• February 15, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Has Ed come out and apologized for all that he has said against our Presidents? How he was part of the left that help cripple the perception of our President? I am always glad when I hear Ed say good things about our President, but the line between love and “disappointment” with these types makes me skeptical. I’m looking for a “mature” love, not the love of a 16 year old that changes based on “the next hot thing (ie issue).

20. 100 Alma Blanca
    February 15, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Lovely speech by FLOTUS. That’s why I love this site. We can see them both at work. Thanks Chips

21. February 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I’m loving the heck outta this movie!! Wish I had surround sound!!!

22. February 15, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Mrs. O will go down as one of our finest first ladies. She has really come into her own. Makes me so proud.

23. February 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

This is what the GOP got in the tax cut deal-

Repeals key parts of ObamaCare and includes other health savings
    —Cuts to ObamaCare pay for more than half ($11.6 billion) of the Medicare spending in the agreement.

—Cuts an ObamaCare slush fund (the Harkin Prevention Fund) by $5 billion.

—Eliminates an ObamaCare giveaway to Louisiana saving $2.5 billion.

—Reduces Medicaid spending (DSH rebase) by more than $4 billion.

—Other health savings total $9.6 billion and include reductions to Medicare “bad debt” and clinical laboratory payments

Wwwwhhhhhaaaaattttt?

• 105 Jessica
      February 15, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I thought it was going to be a clean deal what happened?

• February 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm

this is attached to the payroll deal?

February 15, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Jovie, what did the Dems get?

• 111 Cathy from MN
      February 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Jovie – where did you find this info? All sources I have found over the last hour have noted only one of these items, the $5b reduction to the $8b fund. I couldn’t find any other health care related changes.

There were trades related to inclusion of unemployment extension.

Do you have a source for the others? I’d be interested in seeing the context.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Talking points memo!

• February 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm

While Democrats will claim victory in the impending deal to extend the payroll tax cut through 2012, Republicans have also won some fodder for their base on a key issue: They’ve managed to slice off a piece of the health care reform law — albeit a fairly small piece.

A summary of the deal circulated to allies and insiders by House GOP leadership boasts that they’ve extracted concessions worth $11.6 billion from the Affordable Care Act in negotiations with Democrats. The cuts hit the prevention fund and provider reimbursements — it’s not a big chunk of the nearly $1 trillion law, but it’s a salient political win for Republicans after Democrats repeatedly resisted efforts to cut the ACA in the Super Committee and December deal……

…..Update: A Dem aide adds some context, emailing: “Democrats stopped Republicans efforts to cut benefits for Medicare beneficiaries and to undermine health coverage for millions of Americans and now the GOP is trying to spin that away.”

• February 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thanks chip-
            I guess it’s ok, but Harkin will be mad.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I certainly hope that Democrats and pundits clearly paint what the GOP have taken away from Americans with their so-called “deal”. People need to know that the wealthy haven’t had to put a single dime into helping the recovery, because the GOP worked so hard to take away from elderly people, health care workers and the middle class, instead. Anything they take away from the ACA doesn’t harm President Obama one little bit – but it does harm the Americans who will have a little less health security. People need to know that.

• February 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Theo..agree. Not one dime from the top 1% put into helping the recovery. Just imagine where the economy would be today if we did not have to carry the recovery on the backs of the working middle class. I wish more rich people (like Buffet & Gates) would come out and say that the rich need to pay their fair share……..and it has not happened.

• 118 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
            February 15, 2012 at 9:35 pm

#LandslideOBAMA2012

#LandslideDEMS2012

Yes We Must

• February 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm

A senior Democratic aide downplayed the cuts, telling TPM that “these are mostly consensus items that don’t touch benefits.”

• 120 Lovepolitics2008
          February 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Dems just HAVE to retake te House and keep the Senate. And then, to overcome the filibuster, there needs to be an enormous grassroots effort to force republicans to finally agree to raise taxes on the wealthy.

24. 121 vitaminlover
    February 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Our Beloved President is in L.A.? I just left there Monday–darn it!! I would have stayed a couple more days for a chance to shake his hand. Ding dang it!

25. 124 jeff
    February 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I am extremely worried that McKenna is going to be my states next governor. I’m seriously considering moving if this happens to Oregon as this guy really really bothers me.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I’m not in the least worried. He is going to be so easy to paint as a Scott Walker clone. The Seattle Times will endorse him, but evidence points to people not paying the least bit of attention to the Seattle Times endorsements the last two elections. High turnout in King County will put Inslee over the top.

26. February 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Well, I’m off to Kenya again this weekend on the holy grail quest of “whares teh muslins burt sirt?” (Chip’s words). Anyone want anything else to go with that ?

27. 139 Alma Blanca
    February 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm

BTW thanks for the Canadian flag. It was a treat to see it, even in the context of Moroney

28. February 15, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Fox News poll of battleground state voters:

Obama 47 — Romney 39
    Obama 52 — Gingrich 32
    Obama 48 — Santorum 38
    Obama 48 — Paul 37

Fox?!

:lol:

29. 150 xtine
    February 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I so love that photo @ LA airport! Also the one with FLOTUS, Dr. Biden, & Sec Def Leon Panetta, the one where they’re cracking up. Chips, if I ever make “First” on a post again, could I request the latter? It just made me grin! Yep, you still owe me a “First” photo and I’m not giving up on asking for one! Persistant I am! :) Seriously, though, I love the joy of the “Firsts” and your rapid response photos. Lovely joy! But most of all, I’m so loving the spirit that’s seriously back at TOD! The conversations at TOD are remarkable! Thank you & BLESSl!

• February 15, 2012 at 9:19 pm

xtine, you’re ALWAYS first!!!!

• 152 xtine
        February 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Awww! Chips! You just made my day yet again! Isn’t that a beaut? Damn I wish I was right there, but I’ll just imagine myself in their midst & crack up right along! :)

I was about to go off on a tangent & tell VA ladies to cross their legs at the knees in protest of Gov. McDonnell & his idiocy! OK, I guess I just said that! :) What the heck, VA, stop this crap!

OK, back to my joyous photo! And CERB! Thanks Chips!

• February 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Speaking of knees–and I know this is so crass of me–but Michelle Obama has extraordinarily beautiful knees—so shapely, contoured, clear as opposed to most knees which look like piles of pebbles.

Okay, done and a bit shamefaced.

• 154 xtine
            February 15, 2012 at 10:19 pm

No “kneed” to feel bad about your observation. Why not give a compliment where it’s due? :) Never thought of knees as “piles of pebbles!” Damn, Facieful!, that was funny Hah! I guess as long as the “pebbles” move the body (“Let’s Move”), it’s all good! Pebbles will become sand.

• 155 Pamela
          February 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Her Majesty would like them to be sitting exactly as they are… They look terrific!

February 16, 2012 at 4:40 am

These Republican Governors have just gone crazy.

30. 157 Elly in Maryland
    February 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Did anyone hear tonight’s NPR piece – a long one – on the saga of Seamus the Romney family dog being transported on top of the car? They treated it as a very serious liability for him. Made the point that a huge percentage of Americans own dogs, that the pet business is a big money maker in the economy, that voters won’t like someone who mistreated their dog. Frankly I was surprised how seriously they made it sound for him with voters, but every part of a percentage point helps/hurts, right?

• February 15, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Yes, it’s a $51 billion dollar industry, but more importantly, people take their pets seriously. And every answer I’ve seen Romney give on this has been filled with him laughing it off. I don’t think he gets how much trouble he’s in on this one.

• 159 Mae who love our CIC
        February 16, 2012 at 1:46 am

Don’t worry too much about this. Maybe there is a special coating on the stairs. Notice how clean they are, probably only used by him and other dignitaries.

31. February 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I know, I know, in the world scheme of things this isn’t up there with the major issues of the day – but: I hope my mother doesn’t look at TOD tonight, another photo of PBO running-down-Air-Force-One-steps-without-holding-railings. You know how she is on this. :???:

32. 191 Renegade522/AuntSis
    February 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Good evening, Family:
    You know I don’t comment often because it seems like everything I want to say, has been said. I wish I had a lot of money so I could plan a retreat and invite everyone for a get together.
    I have been watching Ed Schultz too. A majority of his shows have been better since he met with the White House a month or so ago. Sometimes, it’s hard for me to tolerate his faux anger when I know that this time last year; he was calling the president character in question and eventually told his viewers not to vote. Well, I have given him a second chance – at least this week. LOL
    Rachel Maddow – I am sorry. I will never go back to watching her show. She pissed me off with her faux president speech during the Gulf Oil spill. I change even tolerate her commercials. I changed the channel immediately. Also, I just don’t like her.
    Don’t forget: Mellisa Harris Perry will be on Saturday and Sunday @ 10AM. I have set my DVR because I hate getting up on the weekends.

BTW: The president will be in South Florida on next Thursday for a fundraiser in Coral Gables. I am off that week so I may go there and watch his motorcade. :) :) Also, Cornel West is scheduled to speak at the University of Miami next week too. I am trying real hard to get tickets. I want to tell him how I feel about his comments about the President and his faux love for the poor in our community. Hope I dont get thrown out of the venue. I cant believe UM is paying such outrageous fees. Well, he better come correct!!

Gotta catch up. I have been away for two whole days and I need to get my TOD drug fix.

• February 15, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Hey Renegade! You should post more often. :)

• 193 miss pat
      February 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

I too have stopped watching Maddow. Nothing she says or does will ever make me tune into her show. If she says or does anything great I will get it from here. Same for all of them at MSNBC except for Rev.Al. Hope you get to go see Cornell. Tell him for me that his Afro needs trimming. Ugly man from the inside out. Thanks for posting, do it more often.

33. February 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Ho ho!!! Uhura and Spock?!!!! hohoho!!! :mrgreen: —– nice!!! :lol:

34. February 15, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Johnson writes: “When President Obama treks to Los Angeles — again — on Feb. 15, he’ll be looking to convey the sense of a winner: Improved poll numbers and a brightening economy, as well as the bandwagon effect of a smattering of stars coming out in support. The Foo Fighters will be playing for him, and Will Ferrell is among the co-hosts of a high-dollar event at a posh Beverly Hills estate.”
    “…But even as the campaign tries to reignite enthusiasm of the last election cycle, there remains some dismay among the highest echelons of studio and media executives over the way the White House responded in mid-January to a pair of anti-piracy bills in Congress, stopped in their tracks after the administration criticized parts of the legislation amid an Internet-fueled e-mail storm of protest that flooded Capitol Hill to oppose the measures.
    “…Last week, Barbra Streisand posted a statement bemoaning Republican rivals’ rhetoric and praising Obama’s progress on the economy. “Because of the President’s policies, our economy is on the road to recovery, and it’s time we start celebrating the truth,” she wrote. There was no mention of piracy or SOPA.

35. 206 africa
    February 15, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Hello all!!

So much to read, I don’t know where to start. I am so behind.

SEVERELY supporting PBO.

Off to severely catch up.

SEVERELYObamaBiden2012

February 15, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Just a gentle reminder for those who didn’t get to see the BET honors on Monday – it’s airing tonight at 10PM-12Midnight.

37. February 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm

This is strange. I guess the President is staying at same Hotel that Whitney died!
    That has to be a coincidence?

February 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I saw that too. I guess they had already planned for PBO to stay there – it’s just that Whitney’s death wasn’t planned.

• 214 xtine
      February 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I think once they do their due diligence re: security measures, it’s really difficult to switch & then find that high level of security. Just my guess. I prefer that SS is tight and on top of things at this time & onwards. You might even find that the hotel was a decoy. Just saying.

• 215 AnitaW
      February 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm

And not strange as it’s one of the best hotels in Beverly Hills where his fundraiser is being held. Makes sense actually.

38. February 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm

1:05 PM
    Obama delivers remarks at a campaign event in Corona Del Mar, Calif.
    2:45 PM
    Obama departs Los Angeles, California en route San Francisco, Calif.
    3:30 PM
    Obama arrives San Francisco, Calif.
    5:00 PM
    Obama attends a campaign event.
    5:30 PM
    Biden attends a campaign event with local supporters in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
    7:30 PM
    Biden will attend a campaign event.
    10:10 PM
    Obama delivers remarks at a campaign event.

39. February 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Alice Stewart, Lil Ricky’s press secretary is ridiculous. Atrociously fake blonde hair and big old scary eyes. Yikes……. at least he respects women’s rights enough to allow her to have such an important job in his campaign. That’s shocking.

• February 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm

On LOD. He’s being very respectful to her. Really humoring this Santorum surge. He says he wants Ricky to win the nomination. Ricky should come on his show. LOD said he’ll softball Ricky because he wants Lil Rick to face off with PBO.

40. February 15, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Elie Wiesel will be on LOD later in the show. Can’t wait!

41. 225 Lorraine
    February 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Elie Wiesel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The greatest human being God ever created that is not in those precious 66 books! He is on the Last Word!

42. 228 cos
    February 15, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Oh, how I love how Rachel is advertising the BO Obama gear on the Obama website. :)

43. February 15, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Love how Ed is mocking Willard’s new commercial in his opening segment. :lol:

44. February 15, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Hmm, so Westboro Church has said they will pickett Whitney Houston’s funeral I guess outside New Hope Baptist Church.

I do NOT see that ending well for Westboro. Cause you know Jersey fans and any other will be outside that church to see the casket carried away.

My bet is that the fans of Whitney Houston will not take too kindly to Westboro.

February 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

And what exactly is their reason for picketing? I don’t get these religious fanatics. I just don’t.

• 236 Cindy Sweatt
        February 16, 2012 at 12:06 am

The WBC never needs a reason. They were supposedly going to picket our local high school graduation. They had it on their web-site, but never showed. They try to antagonize people and then sue them. They make all their money that way. Sick

• 237 collegekay
      February 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm

They better not. Whitney’s fans do not play. I remember they were gonna do the same with Michael Jackson but they backed off.

• 238 EDP4BHO
      February 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm

In Newark? These freaks are masochists. Major whoop ass on the way. Just stepped in to comment, saying good nite all. Peace !

• 239 yardarm756
      February 16, 2012 at 12:06 am

They’d be a lot safer swimming in shark infested waters during a feeding frenzy. I would be surprised if some of them didn’t wind-up in a garbage can with one of their hateful signs stuck up their ass.

45. February 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

On Ed’s show, the Milwaukee mayor said he told PBO about Walker’s plans for the $25 million. He said PBO was surprised but that he would be following up with PBO’s staff. Fricking Scott Walker. :x

46. February 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/feb/15/chu-visits-ornl-experiences-3d-nuclear/. Just found this in the Knoxville News Sentinel. Obviously, this was not announced beforehand. I always find it interesting all the Republicans in this area who bad-mouth government and government workers. Yet, thousands upon thousands of jobs in this whole area are supported by ORNL. Bet they never think of that. STUPID Republicans!!!

47. February 15, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Christine Romer was interviewed on NPR today, and she is attempting to undermine the President.
    We need to watch her, she has an ax to grind.

February 15, 2012 at 11:25 pm

an ax to grind,..a book to sell…some money to make. Add all three and you get FAIL.

• 245 Cindy Sweatt
      February 16, 2012 at 12:08 am

What was she saying. That makes me sad. I kinda liked her. She shouldn’t a done that!

• February 16, 2012 at 1:50 am

Not a good move by Christine Romer. She’s the one who made the statement that unemployment wouldn’t go over 8% if the stimulus was passed, and as a member of the Economic Advisory Board,it’s interesting that she would now be throwing rocks from the sidelines. Tells us a lot about her character. I used to like her a lot.

February 16, 2012 at 4:15 am

Jovie, just like with that Kantor book, I have no need of Chrisine Romer book either. The only book I want to read is when FLOTUS and POTUS writes their in the future.

48. 248 Janelle
    February 15, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I’m not sure if this posted already…..this was a fuzzy photo taken inside the restaurant of PBO and FLOTUS having dinner on Valentine’s Day as well as an article of someone’s encounter with them. On one hand, I felt bad that someone took a photo but then again I think they must of known it could be a possibility since they chose to dine out in the open with others and not in a private dining room, like for FLOTUS’ birthday when they had a larger group. I think they like to feel normal sometimes and dine amongst others when it’s just the two of them.

• 249 Janelle
      February 15, 2012 at 11:35 pm

P.S. From the above article, “They looked like a really “cute happy couple,” said Stone. “Honestly,” he added. “They were so into one another. “What really struck me is that they looked like a very happy normal couple who were in love with one another,” said Stone, who called the night very interesting.

• February 15, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Thanks Janelle – I was wondering if there was any inside scoop on last night! :)

• 251 Cindy Sweatt
      February 16, 2012 at 12:12 am

I would have never taken our President as a martini drinker. Hmmm interesting.

February 16, 2012 at 4:32 am

I wonder if POTUS did alittle singing on Valentine’s night.

49. February 15, 2012 at 11:26 pm

The U.S. and Afghan governments have begun secret three-way talks with the Taliban, Afghan President Hamid Karzai told the Wall Street Journal, in a move that could bolster U.S.-led efforts to convene fully fledged peace talks within months.

Karzai’s government had previously been excluded from early, exploratory contacts between the Taliban and the United States, with the insurgents seen as resisting the involvement of a administration they regard as a puppet of Washington.

And if he wraps up the Afghanistan war, by the election?

50. February 15, 2012 at 11:33 pm

With global efforts to reduce carbon dioxide emissions stalled, the United States and five other countries are starting a new program to cut other pollutants — including methane, soot and hydrofluorocarbons — that contribute to global warming.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is set to announce the five-year initiative Thursday morning. Canada, Sweden, Mexico, Ghana and Bangladesh are also participating. The plan will be administered by the United Nations Environment Program, with a $12 million contribution from the United States for the first two years. Canada will add $3 million; contributions from the other countries are not known.

Carbon dioxide — from burning fossil fuels — plays the largest role in pushing up global temperatures, climate scientists say. But methane, soot and hydrofluorocarbons also contribute to global warming. Combined, those three pollutants are believed to account for 30 to 40 percent of the nearly one degree Celsius rise in global temperatures since the beginning of the 20th century.

But Van Jones…

51. February 15, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I happened to notice I hit 4400 tweets :-D

hahahaha!

52. February 16, 2012 at 12:03 am

If you’ve been following what’s going on in Virginia by the legislature then you know women are under assault. I think this is a good damn idea for starters.

53. February 16, 2012 at 12:20 am

Rick Snyder just endorsed Robney!

LOL!

54. February 16, 2012 at 12:25 am

President Obama appeared at two star-studded Los Angeles fundraisers on Wednesday night and, as he spoke to a crowd that included actor George Clooney, acknowledged that governing hasn’t been easy.

Mentioning former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo’s quip that politicians campaign in poetry and govern in prose, Obama said he’s written more of the latter than the former in his first three years in office. “We’ve been slogging through prose for the last three years,” he said. “People, they like the poetry.”

At the Holmsby Hills home of Bradley Bell, the executive producer of “The Bold and the Beautiful,” and his wife Colleen, Obama said he still has plenty of campaign promises from his 2008 bid left to fulfill – including ending the war in Afghanistan and closing the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba – and understands the frustration that some of his supporters have. “I feel the same way sometimes,” he said.

Yeah but…

55. February 16, 2012 at 12:48 am

Massachusetts officials reached a breakthrough deal with NStar and Northeast Utilities today that would allow the two electric companies to merge in exchange for freezing rates for four years, and a commitment from NStar to buy a significant amount of power from the offshore Cape Wind project.

Under the agreement the new utility would keep it its electric distribution rates steady through 2015, and providing customers with a one-time rebate of $21 million, or about $12 to $15 for the average ratepayer. NStar still must work out the details of its power purchase with Cape Wind, but the deal means the offshore wind project would soon have enough power under contract to attract the financing it needs to start construction.

The terms are a huge concession by the utilities to Governor Deval Patrick, who had insisted the merger should promote cleaner sources of energy, and to Attorney General Martha Coakley, who said it should result in cost savings and efficiencies that would benefit ratepayers.