Feb

rise and shine

President Barack Obama sits in the cockpit of a 787 Dreamliner during his tour of the Boeing Plant production facility in Everett, Wash., Feb. 17, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama arrives on the South Lawn of the White House after a three day West coast trip, early February 18

The week ahead:

Monday: No public events.

Tuesday: The President and First Lady will invite music legends and contemporary major artists to the White House for a celebration of Blues music and in recognition of Black History Month as part of their “In Performance at the White House” series.

Wednesday: The President will deliver remarks at the construction site of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Thursday: The President will travel to Miami, Florida, to participate in an official event.

Friday: The President will host Prime Minister Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark for a meeting in the Oval Office.

Thanks Meta

John McDonough (Boston.com): I’ve written before about the Obama Administration’s breakthrough efforts to fight health care fraud and abuse. Now there’s more, $4.1 billion more.

Earlier this week, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced that the federal government recovered $4.1 billion in taxpayer dollars from individuals and corporations attempting to steal Medicare and Medicaid payments to which they were not entitled.

What’s $4.1 billion? It is the largest amount of money ever recovered, by far, in the history of the programs since they were established in 1965. Here are the numbers from the most recent years….

More here

Thanks amk

Robert Shrum: The unholy alliance between Catholic bishops and the GOP

Catholic leaders are self-righteously trying to infringe on the liberty of all Americans. And head-in-the-sand Republicans are cheering them on

The Episcopal Church used to be described as the Republican Party at prayer. Today’s GOP has moved far right, and suddenly the Catholic bishops are now the Republican Party in the pulpit.

For many Catholics — and I intermittently try to be part of the church I was raised in — this is a betrayal of their beliefs about the place of faith in public life….

Full post here

The Week

Morning everyone – will be back later ;-)

231 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 Suzette
    February 18, 2012 at 7:48 am

Good morning all.

Am I really first. I think so, I hope so…
    Have a great day and I will check back later.

2. 4 aristac
    February 18, 2012 at 7:54 am

yes you are, and here i thought i was going to be first. Congrats! Good Morning everyone

3. 7 cuphalffull
    February 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

I hope this adage gains momentum across this country. I know BobFr as the person connected with this sentence but I have loved it since the first time I read it, “Yes We Can Do More Together”. If we once understood how important it is to rise about tribalism and see ourselves as a more perfect union we could not be played so easily by those that would abuse power. The President speaks to our national story as E Pluribus Unum and a can do mentality. Remember when a small American drilling company used their equipment down in Chile to rescue the miners much sooner than expected. Who wasn’t feeling good about that.

4. 8 Marlz (@marjgra)
    February 18, 2012 at 8:09 am

Good Morning everyone and thanks for President Obama’s Weekly Address Chips.
    This President has inspired me (and so many)! He makes me want to go out and do more . . . not only for myself but others.

I have been wondering and will check on Pres. 43 (just cannot say the name) what he weekly addresses are like. I am sure they were not this encouraging!

BBL!

• February 18, 2012 at 9:09 am

PBO pioneered the video address. GWB and all previous presidents only did radio addresses. Likewise the dynamic White house website is a President Obama innovation. Previous White House websites were like placeholder stumps.

A lot of people do not realize just how revolutionary this Presidency is on so many different fronts. :lol:

• 10 aristac
        February 18, 2012 at 9:51 am

agree zizi, the wh website alone is a bastion of knowledge and so innovative.

• 11 Ceb
          February 18, 2012 at 10:10 am

And it is participatory. All of this is what you get when you have a president who is still a community organizer; only now his community is world-wide. I love it. What SP tried to belittle, we have seen elevated.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

Good points, zizi2. But who would have known it; that is, I’ve never been interested enough nor excited enough about a president to even check-out their website. That doesn’t speak well for me, though, does it? The fact is, it has been easy to feel cynical and discouraged about American governance, but I feel emotionally connected to President Obama and his family. I don’t feel it’s just a racial connection, although I must admit that racially he makes me feel ten-feet tall. But more importantly it is his positive demeanor, his generosity of spirit, his strength to ignore the pouters and saboteurs that inspires me on a daily basis. So here I am, crawling out of my cave of cynicism and disengagement, wishing he could be president for more than two terms precisely because of “how revolutionary this Presidency is on so many fronts.” And because, as BWD would say, “he is a good man.”

5. 13 collegekay
    February 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Look at him. God, he’s beautiful.

Good morning everyone.

February 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Woohooo front page news. Love it when PBO gets out of Washington because he tends to get front page coverage due to the excitement generated by his visit. Local reporters get to interview him, his accomplishments get touted, and more people are educated about how his policies help, will help, or have helped them.

p.s. Morning Chips and TOD

February 18, 2012 at 8:17 am

There i am going through last night’s thread and chatting merrily, while Chips sneaks in and pulls you guys over here! SIgh.

TOP OF THE MORNING to you TODville! It’s a beautiful WHITE day in the neighbourhood, and I’m happy to be here!

• February 18, 2012 at 8:20 am

:lol: Morning VC, morning UT, morning everyone!!!!

February 18, 2012 at 8:42 am

A very GOOD morning to you, Chips Chica! :lol: :lol:

I was just thinking that PBO himself is the best healthcare answer for America and the world! Our President is an exceptional tonic! I have never seen a video of him arriving/leaving anywhere without a resultant uptick in my heart rate and a big smile on my lips. Even WATCHING OTHER PEOPLE REACTING POSITIVELY TO A BRIEF SIGHT OF PBO INCREASES MY HAPPINESS! We are so, so blessed at this moment in history to have a positive leader with vision aplenty, empathy for everyone, an actual PLAN to put America back on track, AND the will to do it….. TOGETHER WITH ALL AMERICANS! Can you tell I’m happy guys? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the video, VQ Donna! Enjoy your Saturday! I’ve missed you & your video presence, but I know you have been busy in your other life. ;)

• February 18, 2012 at 8:46 am

Morning VC ;-)

Just sayin’

• February 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

Something so elegant and moving about PBO’s umbrella photo. He looks pensive but serene at the same time, moving ahead out in the elements. Gorgeous moment.

• 20 utaustinliberal
              February 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

It’s a GQ Ad in the making.

• 21 Alycee (@jazziz2)
              February 18, 2012 at 9:42 am

He has that “something”…

• 22 Cindy Sweatt
              February 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Something about this photo makes me tear up. When does he ever get to be alone? What is he thinking? What can we do to help this man help us? I love this photo almost as much as the one where is has that water drop on his ear. This photo is the real reason all of us work so hard to make sure he is our President. Thanks!

• February 18, 2012 at 8:56 am

How come the SS guyz don’t accompany him all the way to AF1 ?

February 18, 2012 at 9:00 am

Morning Everyone :) That was nice to wake up to, Chips :) Good Lord. What a buffoon that “other one” was! PBO is nothing short of sheer style and grace.

• 25 Ceb
            February 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

The photos say it all.

We had to kiss a lot of frogs before we found the prince. Thank God that we finally got there.

February 18, 2012 at 9:05 am

Chips, I TOTALLY, TOTALLY forgive you! (My eyes just passed right over the first pic) If you could only see the mile wide grin on my face when I saw this! I’m turning cartwheels inside – never having been able to do cartwheels when I was younger. Chica, my dear, this personal picture sharing totally absolves you for the only two occasions I was first and you weren’t around to pictorally(no such word?) pat me on the back. Oh man, this day is made in my opinion! I bet PBO was thinking of me. Yeah I know he’s not winking or pointing, but that’s because I do cause friends to be pensive at times about my reclusiveness. Plus, **ladies who flutter when he winks at them**, it makes me feel MORE SPECIAL to know that his reaction to ME is different! I guess Chips, in her wisdom, was waiting for the president to respond directly to me before posting my picture, Wooot! :razz: :lol: :lol:

• February 18, 2012 at 9:33 am

Thank you Chips for that hilarious photo of GWB with his umbrella. I laugh out loud every time I see it. What a contrast to our very suave and debonair President. (my late mother’s description))

• 36 SUE DUVALL SMITH
            February 18, 2012 at 10:00 am

G.W. MOMENT…FITTING FOR HIS CHARACTER…UPSIDE DOWN AND BACKWARDS…A TOTAL STATE OF CONFUSION WEARING SHOES! AND WE PUT UP WITH THAT FOR 8 YEARS….NEVER,EVER AGAIN!

• February 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

Oh, I have thought this so often. Thank you for saying it. The man is a healer!

• 38 susanne
          February 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm

i love how you said this: our president is an exceptional tonic. i have the same reaction, and that’s why this site is so necessary, dear chica. our inspirational president is hidden from us, by the traditional media, so you’re going around them, and bringing him direct. thanks to you, again, for this important work, and to vcprezofan2 for putting it in words.

February 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

I loved that segment. The local news are the best sources of information, honest, matter-of-fact, objective reporting – quite a contrast to that snarky spin-filled drivel that permeates the national cable news scene.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

What a classy and positive report! Amazing. Yes, we do not see that with our national “news” mainstream media! This was just perfect. Thanks for posting how a respectable tv station reported on the President’s visit!

8. February 18, 2012 at 8:29 am

Dragged from last thread kicking n screaming. (hint, hint, hello ?)

9. 52 Ceb
    February 18, 2012 at 8:35 am

Good morning, Chips.

The continuing evolution of this blog site is breath-taking. The easy access site links to the speeches, favorite videos, donations, contacts, etc. make this already special place, inspiring, challenging, informative, welcoming, and so much more. But, most importantly, you welcome and encourage participation. Like PBO, you help us to know that we are the ones that we have been waiting for to change the world.
    I only get to check in the evening when the more frequent posters have commenting on the day’s events, and because I have nothing new to add to the discussion and most have moved on to new thread, I seldom comment. However, I am here everyday learning and laughing and sometimes shedding a few grateful tears. You have affected millions around the world, many like me who seldom or never comment. We are so grateful.

To the TOD family: the most smart, funny, sweet, caring, dedicated, yet naughty group of people from around the world, thank you for sharing your wit, charm, information, tech skills and so much more.

Have a wonderful weekend and Presidents’ Day (we should lobby for PBO to be included in this after he finishes his second term).

• February 18, 2012 at 8:47 am

Wow Ceb, what a wonderful comment and I second everything you said about this site and the people on it. We keep each other sane and we keep each other going.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

Morning Ceb, you’re the kindest – but I don’t ever want you to be shy about commenting, we want to hear from you!! There are lots of things I want to with the site to make it easier for people to find stuff, but I never seem to get around to doing it – but hopefully I will (soon-ish). Thank you Ceb, really appreciate your comments and support.

• 55 utaustinliberal
        February 18, 2012 at 9:15 am

That’s because you’re busy trying to kick Calista Gingrich off to the side and be Mankini’s number one woman. How was Valentine’s day? Did you and the Newster “reconnect?” ;)

• February 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

UT, we certainly did ‘reconnect’, I can hardly find the words to describe how beautiful it was. Here’s a photo of us on Valentine’s night:

February 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

Ut I know you’re angling for a “maid-of-honor” spot in Chips’ wedding to Mankini. But I assure you that Chips promised me that I would be selected for that position. So you’ll have to settle for bridesmaid or wedding planner or somethin.’ Sorry!

• 59 utaustinliberal
            February 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

Oh hell no you can be wedding planner. I don’t want to plan that mess. I just want to be maid of honor so I can have a front row seat and drink to my laughter’s content.

February 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

No friend…Here’s the wedding party – as determined by Chips & Mankini

1. Bride – Chipsticks
              2. Groom – Mankini
              3. Maid-of-Honor – hopefruit2
              4. Matron-of-honor – donna Dem 4
              4. Best man – Willard
              5. Bridesmaids – Utaustin, VcPrez, Ladyhawke Tally, meta, Jovie, (and more)
              6. Junior bridesmaid – collegekay
              7. Groomsmen – Bobfr, japa21, Bill, Dave, Jeff, Mel, amk, (and more)
              8. Ushers – Chuck Todd, Halperin, Morning Joke, David Gregory

(Ut will provide the names for the other roles that I can’t remember, since she’s THE wedding planner.)

• 70 LunarSea
      February 18, 2012 at 10:30 am

ditto :lol:

• 71 Cece
      February 18, 2012 at 10:57 am

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!!! I visit this site several times per day to get all my PBO info. Chips you are a wonder, I don’t have the words to thank you for this site. This is my 3rd time commenting but thoroughly enjoy reading all the comments. It seems like I know all of you. It really feels like a family here. Keep up the good work Chips!!!!
      Love you all.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with your beautifully articulated comment, Ceb! I always come in too late to join the ongoing conversations, but I still feel energized and moved by how others so wittily and informatively engage. This is my morning coffee and my bed time snack, harbinger of a good day and off-ramp to a sweet sleep, when I sleep.

Thank you, Chips and co.

• 74 nathkatun7
      February 18, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Ceb, thank you so much for saying so well everything I feel about this site and the incredible host, Chipsticks. Like you I usually visit in the late evening, California time, when most of the people on the East Coast are sleeping. But this is a wonderful place to come to for news, reinforcement and inspiration. To be honest, I also come here to laugh because of all the witty and humorous comments by many wonderful people who post here.

10. February 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

Reid talked Harkin out of payroll tax filibuster ? wtf ?

11. 77 Ladyhawke
    February 18, 2012 at 8:43 am

Newt Gingrich: The most disliked politician in America

========================

Newt Gingrich hasn’t just fallen in the GOP presidential race; he may be the most unpopular person in American politics right now.

Two new polls out this week show the former House speaker with an absolutely atrocious favorability rating.
    Gingrich appears to have put together the rare combination of turning off Democrats and independents, but also being unpopular within his own party. The new CBS/NYT poll showed just 36 percent of Republicans view him favorably, compared to 29 percent who don’t.

========================

• 78 L3
      February 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

I’m sure his moralizing to the country after he’s been married three times is not going over well. Not to mention his race-baiting and disparaging of the President. Has he offered any policy ideas on how to improve the country other than having poor kids work as janitors? He has truly earned that dubious distinction.

12. February 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

Here goes Chris Hayes slamming war on drugs, sticking up for libertarians.
    That’s right Chris, we should all smokeout and have No Government.
    He is a snotty little jerk.

• 81 Bill
      February 18, 2012 at 8:53 am

Do you think the war on drugs is working and should not be discussed?

• February 18, 2012 at 9:07 am

I think prohibition was a good example of what happens if we legalize.
        People just find another drug.
        Do I think it should be discussed?
        Have you ever been to an NA meeting?
        I assure you, the last thing people talk about is, gee if only if we had legalized drugs, we all would be ok!

• February 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

I think the biggest problem with the war on drugs is that it is focused on penalizing rather than treating. A lot of countries have gone the route of decriminalizing possession and use, keeping ciminal charges to th suppliers. However, people caught with possession or use are given good treatment. Part of the problem is that treatment does cost money, and a lot of insurance policies still limit the treatment one can receive. If the money spent in imprisoning users was put into treatment and some of the drugs (marijuana is a good example) was actually less demonized, I think that would go a long way towards solving the drug problem and all the other things that go with it.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:49 am

This President does focus on Tx.

Chris Hayes left that out.

He also left out that marijuana is not exactly good for your lungs.

LOL!

• 85 prettyfoot58
            February 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

i saw that segment as well….japa…you have given me some insight as to a solution…decrimilization for the user…..and instead increase treatment funding…

drug issues are so complicated….there is no single way to attack it….but your suggestion is one that needs to be done…

February 18, 2012 at 11:03 am

To use the money spent imprisoning for treatment is a good point, Japa.

• 87 Bill
          February 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

Very few believe ending prohibition was a bad thing.

I have no idea what the answer to our drug problem is, but drugs are destroying lives, and it seems reasonable for people other than NA attendees to discuss the problem. No one is offering a total fail safe solution, but trying to find a better approach than the current failed policy is worthy of consideration..

February 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

Chris Hayes could put his money where his snotty little mouth is and do a 2-hr long segment on Cable Networks that make $$$$$ off prisoners with their 24/7 “lockup” weekend programming.

• 92 Left-Indie
          February 18, 2012 at 10:18 am

Chris Hayes was on point. The drug war is stupid. I was hopeful Obama would bring a fresh prospective to it. Maybe the second term. But it’s even stupider what the Adminstration is doing with the undocumented, many of whom are Hispanics. He delivers record deportation and the other side doesn’t give an inch. The adminstration chose to stop inforcing DOMA, they should stop this wholesale deportation of Hispanics, too.

• 93 jeff
            February 18, 2012 at 10:37 am

troll alert.

• 94 LunarSea
              February 18, 2012 at 10:51 am

you speak the truth. They are soo very easy to spot, like a crow in a gaggle of geese

• 96 Left-Indie
              February 18, 2012 at 10:55 am

Sorry, Jeff, not me. I happen to think the Hispanic deportation issue is self-inflicted wound. This is a group inclined towards the Dems and Obama. Repubs try hard to put a wedge between them and the Dems in general and Obama in particular. He should give them little amunition.

• 97 LunarSea
      February 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

Frankly I see nothing wrong with marijuana and don’t even think of it as a drug so that whole war on it is just rediculous to me.

It was a natural, wild growing plant (herb) all over this continent. The early citizens used it for lots of things. George Washington grew the stuff. Did he smoke it? I don’t know but I do know that
      1. it is a fast growing (2-3 crops per season) plants that can be used to make very good paper and would have saved the cutting of lots of forests.
      2. you can make cloth from it that is light and soft as cotton or sturdy as burlap. my favorite summer pants are made from it as is a durable wallet I’ve had for years that defies it’s age
      3.the oils are really good and can be used in things from food to ink for pens
      4. it provides medicinal relief to those suffering from such illnesses as eye problems to failure to thrive. And it really helps people overcome nausea from chemo treatment.
      5. no one has ever gone on a marijuana induced rampage killing people
      6. there is a lot of money to be made by taxing it
      7. the minute a republican comes up with a way to make money from it and keep others from doing the same, there will be a big push to legalize it.
      8. the money and resources spent on criminalizing it is just plain absurd.
      9. I have an old booklet put out by the USDA (cir 1940s I think) telling how to grow and cultivate it, as well as touting it’s many uses.

In Maine their have near clear cut the northern woods for lumber and paper. Yet large farms sit fallow. I never understood why they didn’t encourage ppl to farm industrial hemp for paper and cloth products while saving the woods. 2-3 crops per year would really have gone a long way.

Industrial hemp has no or very low amounts of THC which is the chemical that gets one ‘high’. So that is no excuse for banning industrial hemp. It is just a knee jerk reaction that it is a drug and bad bad bad at all costs.

Having said all that (sorry for the length) that in no way implies that I want Ron Paul’s vision of anything. I fear his vision for this country as I fear the plague. And Chris Hayes should have stayed an occassional voice in politics. He’s over his head as a regular pundit

13. February 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

Good morning, TODville. Another great rise and shine, Chips!!

The week ahead:

Schedule for the Week of February 20, 2012

On Tuesday, the President and First Lady will invite music legends and contemporary major artists to the White House for a celebration of Blues music and in recognition of Black History Month as part of their “In Performance at the White House” series.

On Wednesday, the President will deliver remarks at the construction site of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture. The museum is scheduled to open in 2015 and will be the only national museum devoted exclusively to the documentation of African American life, art, history and culture.

On Thursday, the President will travel to Miami, Florida, to participate in an official event. More details on this event and other stops in Florida will be released as they become available.

On Friday, the President will host Prime Minister Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark for a meeting in the Oval Office. Denmark and the United States are close NATO allies and the President looks forward to thanking the Prime Minister for Denmark’s important contribution to the NATO mission in Libya and for its continuing commitment to the ISAF operation in Afghanistan. The two leaders will discuss preparations for the upcoming NATO Summit in Chicago, including proposals for supporting the transition in Afghanistan, increasing Alliance defense capabilities, and advancing NATO’s relationships with key partners. With Denmark currently holding the European Union presidency, the President and Prime Minister will talk about the recent European summit and the latest steps that Europe is taking to address its sovereign debt crisis. The President and the Prime Minister will also discuss common efforts on counterterrorism, counterpiracy, green growth, economic development, Arctic cooperation and support for the democratic transitions in North Africa and the Middle East.

14. February 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

Well, wait until people get to really know Ricky Santorum–the cold, sanctimonious prig. I think all the R candidates have huge unlikeability problems (they can’t even fake warmth, let alone charisma), but Ricky is pure, unadulterated slime. The way he cloaks that sliminess in religiosity makes him all the more frightful. The only warm thing about Ricky is the hideous sweater vests he sporst. He needs them to disguise his coldness and contempt for other human beings.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

gopolitico’s 24 point headline today “will women vote for santorum?”.

idits.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:10 am

Well amk, I’m sure the women with aspirins between their knees will vote for him – merrily.

• 105 Ladyhawke
        February 18, 2012 at 9:12 am

REPUBLICANS FOR CHOICE

Chris Hayes interviewed Ann Stone. National Chairperson at Republicans for Choice this morning. It was fascinating and very interesting to hear her say that the GOP is gender stupid about the contraception issue and that they are walking off a cliff. I’ll try to post it when the link is available.

• 106 utaustinliberal
          February 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

The banner “Republican Women For Choice” sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. Also, the other thing I found strange about the interview LH, is when Anne Stone said that pro-choice GOP women from her organization and other organizations like the Susan B. Anthony List were aghast at Issa’s hearing but at the same time were too courageous to come out and protest his hearing. She said their silence showed how strong they were. Their silence depicted their strength. That line blew my mind away. I don’t call that courageous. I call that cowardice and I tweeted her (@aews) to let her know. She was right to call the GOP men at the hearing “gender stupid” but her latter statement made no sense.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

Yup. at the end of the day, they do vote for the ‘gender stupid’, don;t they ?

Republican choice is an oxymoron.

February 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

I’d be surprised if most of them vote for the ‘gender stupid’ this time around. PBO, IMO, has been methodically stripping away the last scales over the eyes of the voting public vis a vis the Republicans, and doing an excellent job.

UTAL, consider the fact that many of these women have built their lives around male ‘superiority’/authority for sooo long (Laura B?) that they haven’t the courage to stand on their own two feet, even in voicing their opinion. (Remember when Cindy McC quickly backtracked on her opinion re DADT?). Some might have even lived lives where they were dominant (Alaska barbie? Bachman? etc?) while going through the motions of subservience. Don’t forget that your generation hasn’t actually had to LIVE the constraints that many older (Republican) women have. I didn’t see this woman, but I’d venture a guess she isn’t a young woman. Yes, she seems mixed up in her use of the word ‘courageous’ within the context you described, but the GOP women might to a certain extent be smart in their silence IF they follow it up by voting their interests. You and I may not be able to perceive of this in this day and age, but sometimes, in a situation where you are oppressed, silence is a wise choice, if not a courageous one.

• 110 Ladyhawke
            February 18, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’m glad you tweeted her ut. I thought that was odd too. It definitely smacks of cowardice to sit back in the background and not speak out. She really twisted herself into a pretzel trying to justify that.

• 111 prettyfoot58
            February 18, 2012 at 10:29 am

yanno…UT…that is how i felt about the Catholic women who use Birth Control but did not speak out against the Bishops…

• 113 LunarSea
            February 18, 2012 at 10:57 am

“…too courageous to come out…”

Ooookkkkaaaayyy, Ladies can spin it any way want, but all we (the rest of the world that isn’t rethug and female) call bullshit when we see it

BULLSHIT @ ‘their silence depicted their strength’. It’s classic batter spouse syndrome

February 18, 2012 at 11:21 am

‘their silence depicted their strength’ is ‘classic batter spouse syndrome’

This second part is some of what I was implying in my answer above. (**as an aside** I suspect from her 2008 appearances that C. McC is an abused wife. There seemed to be little ‘ease’ between the two while the ‘warrior’ was campaigning, and her swift public retraction of support for DADT added fuel to my suspicions). Yes, these silent women are cowards, but we do not really know their true circumstances and what private consequences there would be if they spoke out publicly. Not for ALL of them, mind you, but.. who knows? I venture to think, however, that their daughters and granddaughters will be more ‘honest’. My hope is that the cowardly ones will be more honest at the ballot box in November.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:23 am

This is a really thought-provoking article about why the Republican Party relies on religion to rouse their base and win elections.
      Here’s one great quote:

“Today, Obama remains accused of being secretly Muslim, a corrupt Christian programmed by the radical Reverend Wright and an anti-religion secularist who wants to kill God with an abortion tool.
      The ability to to carry multiple conflicting hatreds or fears simultaneously in most other countries would be referred to as “schizophrenic” but in America it’s called “The Core of the Republican Party”.”

I also agree with this statement, and I think it’s where so many of is go wrong in talking with right-wing people:

“There’s a saying I’ve adopted, “If people didn’t use reason to arrive at an opinion, you can’t use reason to convince them out of it.””

I think our reasons and quotes of statistics don’t work because they are not meaningful in the world view or maybe values system of many people. And we may feel that’s wrong or stupid, but we won’t convince anyone by calling them wrong or stupid. We have to find a common base of agreement and then make an appeal to something they value. Don’t know if I’m making myself plain.

15. February 18, 2012 at 8:55 am
      February 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

Oh what total hogwash!!! – you can’t simply compare presidents across vastly different time periods, different electorates and make a blanket statement about who was more favorable than who based on those numbers. Obviously folks are going to have a very glossed over sentimental view of George Washington and other presidents who were presented a certain way in history books. Secondly, our current President has not finished serving his term yet, so what’s the rush to categorize him?

PPP needs to find a better way of spending their and most importantly, OUR time – stupid meaningless polls like these are just fodder for the RW against our current president, and an unnecessary distraction.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

The best this President will ever poll, is just above 50.
        That is because the Republicans will all vote enmasse against him, and we know why!
        So, this poll is about right!
        It is what it is!

February 18, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yes, but I don’t get the point of PPP’s pushing this as a “President’s Day Poll” because it really isn’t. It’s a propaganda tool for the media to run with – especially now that the President’s ratings are increasingly in favorable territory.

Republicans are racist and will not vote accurately for President Obama, their votes should be invalidated in polls like these. They are voting based on his skin color, not based on his policies, and therefore, their votes are skewing his ratings. That should be emphasized in EVERY poll where Republicans are involved. Yet the media will simply run with this and gleefully report that PBO is in the bottom 10 of all the US Presidents in popularity – when that is simply a BOLD FACED LIE.

February 18, 2012 at 10:13 am

I agree with you Hf, yet I feel sure that media 10% popularity meme or not, this President’s accomplishments are, and will remain, off the charts! When sane minds factor in all the pieces, there will be no doubt of that! So while MSM are polishing their memes and bending over backwards to justify them, PBO continues to focus on the job performance, with VERY ENCOURAGING results that are impacting the lives of ‘real’ Americans. I believe that it’s real Americans who are going to create the real meme come November 6th! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

• 123 Left-Indie
              February 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

“Republicans are racist” is such a broad statement. I think there are many Repubs who simply don’t agree with him. Liberterians among them simply have different approach to economics and “liberty.” Some of the older whites in the south and elsewhere might be resistent to his race, sure. As for polls of presidents, a sitting president is never going to be that high. The wounds of the battle are fresh. Nostalgia polls well.

• 124 Mae who love our CIC
            February 18, 2012 at 10:37 am

I agree with you hope. If a white man would accomplish as much as or as equal to what our President has done, the American people would be ready to give him a crown of diamonds.

• 125 Obama Grandmama
            February 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I actually think most of the polls and tweets asked for are not applicable to anything. It only involves those watching say for example Ed Schultz’ polls. The audience watching are skewed Democratic because of the nature of the program. Also who cares anyway? Those watching opinions are not factual when it refers to what will happen. It is only a guess or what they think. It seems like more and more news is more like an Entertainment gossip show with what people think instead of credible facts.

• 126 susanne
              February 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

agreed–it’s hardly worth watching. they’re pandering to the lowest element, trying to grab attention from people who have t.v as background, and don’t look up from their texting unless there’s a juicy little drama to watch. that’s why i just go to the bbc website, and the nytimes website, etc for actual news.

• 127 Lovepolitics2008
          February 18, 2012 at 10:48 am

In a few decades, President Obama’s approval numbers will be very high in this kind of poll. He will be considered a national hero because he saved America and transformed the world. Progressives of that era will continually bash their own president and compare him defavorably to the great Barack Obama.

• 128 prettyfoot58
          February 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

How does one get to be a participant of these polls…and how legitimate are they…i know we really do go ga ga over polls…..but doesn’t it all really depend on how the question is phrased and who is being asked…

• 129 jeff
      February 18, 2012 at 10:40 am

I’m willing to bet that Abraham Lincoln’s approval rating wasn’t as big as it is today. As far as JFK well the problem with that is he died before anything meaningful got done, granted he did stop this country from going through a nuclear war. Also don’t even get me started on Harry S Truman who was suffering from majorly bad approval ratings.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

Agree with you. JFK had a mystique about him and the whole Kennedy clan which I think made him a larger than life figure. And trust me, if the press was anything like it is today, things would have been a lot worse. And even then, his approval numbers were not all that great. And as you say, Truman’s numbers were in the tank, yet I do consider him to have been a graet President.

• 131 nathkatun7
      February 18, 2012 at 11:44 pm

O.K! So, what exactly is the purpose of this poll at this time? Was it commissioned by Chris Matthews to help sell his book? How do we know that 50 years from now BHO’s favorability with Democrats would not be higher than that of JFK? Remember, JFK barely won the 1960 election, beating Nixon in the popular vote by less than 1%. No one knows for sure if he would have been re-elected by much higher numbers in 1964. No one knows for certain how he would have handled the Vietnam war, a war he had a hand in starting; or the urban rebellions that erupted under LBJ; or the increased Southern white violence against the peaceful Civil Rights movement. I am sorry but this poll is a total waste of time because it’s, for the most part, based on the JFK myth and not on the reality of what he actually achieved as President. I say that despite the fact that I loved and respected JFK, his brother RFK, and his more accomplished brother Sen. Teddy Kennedy!

16. February 18, 2012 at 8:57 am

The tide is shifting…..

Chinese Labor, Cheap No More
    WHEN China’s vice president, Xi Jinping, visited the White House on Tuesday, President Obama renewed calls for China to play more fairly in the world economy. Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. echoed those sentiments, telling Mr. Xi that the two countries could cooperate “only if the game is fair.”

But while China’s industrial subsidies, trade policies, undervalued currency and lack of enforcement for intellectual property rights all remain sticking points for the United States, there is at least one area in which the playing field seems to be slowly leveling: the cheap labor that has made China’s factories nearly unbeatable is not so cheap anymore.

17. February 18, 2012 at 9:02 am
      February 18, 2012 at 9:07 am

The fact that President Obama is in the bottom 10 – invalidates this poll in my opinion. I question their methodology – which seems simplistic and misleading.

I call BULLSHYTE!

• February 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

No, when you have all Republicans voting against him, that’s about right!

• February 18, 2012 at 9:52 am

This is true, but I really don’t think a sitting President would ever be too high in a poll like that. 30 years from now, I would expect to see, if I am still alive then, PBO in the top 5. The Republican Party, if it still exists then, won’t be a) as big and b) as crazy.

• February 18, 2012 at 10:00 am

Who knows? If tge republicans win this next election…?

God help us all!

• February 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

If the Republicans win this next election, I think this country will be beyond God’s ability to help us.

February 18, 2012 at 10:21 am

You made me chuckle, Japa, even though this is a serious point.

• 140 Mae who love our CIC
                February 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

Please don’t short change God. He is all powerful, all knowing and everywhere at the same time. He is Almighty.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

Mae, I don’t short change God. I have a very strong faith. Yet, I also believe that God works through people and I am not sure the people could counter what the republicans would do if they win, at least not for many years. I explained my gravatar once. That is my granddaughter, who represents why I am fighting to have PBO and Dems in general reelected, because if the Republicans win, I dread to think of what her future will be like.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

If the rethugs win this year, god will self-deport.

• 143 jeff
      February 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

I guess I’m a minority when I say I don’t consider this a propaganda piece, maybe it was meant as such but I would just like to get my two cents worth. The facts are that most people have only read about these presidents, Harry S Truman suffered from some of the worse approval ratings in Gallups history by polling at 36 percent. He was also very divisive and not highly regarded. Most now look at Truman so highly is because of history books and the tough decisions he had to make.

Usually presidents do better in the ‘polls’ after they leave office. BTW I care more about how actual historians regard presidents rather than some fickle polling company.

18. February 18, 2012 at 9:07 am
  19. February 18, 2012 at 9:08 am

White House Blues event:

Keb Mo will perform at the White House on February 21 in a special concert celebrating blues music in recognition of Black History Month.
    Hosted by President and Mrs. Obama, Keb Mo will be joined on stage by legends like Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, B.B. King, Gary Clark, Jr., and more, with Booker T. Jones as music director and band leader.
    The evening will be filmed for a PBS special “In Performance at the White House: Red, White and Blues,” which will air as part of the Emmy Award-nominated PBS “In The White House” series on Monday, Feb. 27 on PBS stations nationwide. (Check local listings.)
    The concert, including the President’s remarks, will stream live at http://www.whitehouse.gov/live. In addition to the performance, Keb Mo will take part in an afternoon educational workshop about the Blues at the White House hosted by the First Lady for middle and high school students from across the country.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:32 am

So glad to hear that Meta…My family chipped in and got me SeriusXM5 radio and I have my Blues going all the time. I only change the channel if I am in the car during a Mavs game…love my Basketball too….funny for a 53 year old, gray haired white woman.

• 148 Ceb
      February 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

OMG!

I am so behind the times that I had never heard of Keb Mo. Just went to his website and watched the video there. Beautiful song and video shoot. Off to download the entire Reflection album from ITunes. Cannot wait to see the entire show ( but Jagger, really?).

20. February 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

Robert Shrum: The unholy alliance between Catholic bishops and the GOP

I flippin’ LOVE Robert Shrum.

February 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

When people start putting St. Ronnie on a pedestal….you may want to point this out.

• 158 nathkatun7
      February 19, 2012 at 12:23 am

Thank you so much desertflower for sharing this! You always find some gem articles to share. This article needs to be shared widely. In my comment in one of the threads yesterday I tried to point out the same comparison between President Obama’s 3 year record with the first three years’ records of both St. Ronnie Reagan, for the Republicans, and St. FDR, for the Democrats. President Obama’s record is far much superior and truly historic! It’s shame that our lazy media never bother to research this and do a comparison. Equally frustrating, however, is to see respected scholars, like Paul Krugman, fail to do an honest comparison of President Obama and FDR, let alone Ronald Reagan. President Obama is being measured using unprecedented standards that were never applied to our so called Great Presidents.

22. February 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

The link above gives you information about my Husbands Priest. He has not been back to Church or even Mass on Easter since this happened..

Hard for a man reared in the Catholic Church and school his whole life. Still is not ready to go back.

• February 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

That must be so devastating for him. So much that is wrong with tremendously tragic results that get perpetuated by the Church’s silence.

• 161 susanne
      February 18, 2012 at 4:58 pm

i read the entire article, expecting, hoping, that at some point the issue of the children’s broken hearts, broken lives, and lost faith would emerge. but it is entirely devoted to the financial impacts on the parishes, and those served by the parishes, and the amazing outcome that lloyds of london now offers an insurance policy for priests, so if they molest children, the church is protected financially.

the article was written in 2001, and recently reprinted, and of course there must have been many such articles in that time that addressed the moral degradation and depravity underlying the entire construct which secretly supported priests’ abuse of children. but still, it was horrible to read this and see the sympathy shown to the priests who do not molest, and the schools losing funding, and the staff losing jobs in areas where cuts are required—but really no mention of the loss to the children.

another issue not addressed is the loss of faith in those who can no longer look to their priests as moral guides, and who, like your husband, have lost their feeling of belonging in a church. this is all desperately sad. and just when the bishops are trying to assert some moral authority over us all, it’s an excellent reminder of who they are.

February 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

Heads up: CNN is televising Whitney Houston’s funeral live (from 11AM-2PM). They have already started pre-program coverage.

24. 163 a4alice
    February 18, 2012 at 9:53 am

morning TOD – love that pic of PBO lifting his glass to the camera up thread – as if to say “Here’s to you TOD” (at least that’s what I am choosing to believe here in my PBO world) :-)

Ack. I have to go to the tax lady. see you guys later. Have a great day TOD

25. 164 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    February 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

WOW…WE HAVE A GORGEOUS DAY TO FEED OUR HOMELESS LOVED ONES…SUN IS SHINING AND IT’S 45 DEGREES…BLESS YOU ALL TODAY…I HOPE PBO IS RELAXING…WOW…THIS IS GOLFING WEATHER! ADIOS…WILL CATCH UP LATER TODAY!

February 18, 2012 at 9:56 am

Good news, Hollywood!!!

U.S. filmmakers won improved access to China’s $2.1 billion box-office market in an agreement that resolves a five-year dispute between the two countries at the World Trade Organization.
    The deal, announced yesterday as Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping wrapped up his U.S. visit, will increase the number of American films shown in China and gives producers such as Walt Disney Co. (DIS), Viacom Inc (VIAB). and Time Warner Inc. (TWX) “fairer” slice of ticket receipts, according to a White House statement.

/snip/

The deal “represents a significant opportunity,” Disney CEO Robert A. Iger said. Warner Bros. CEO Barry Meyer said: “This begins a new era in the history of our relationship.”
    The MPAA said the agreement would let 50 percent more U.S. films into the Chinese market.
    “We will further increase our imports from other countries, in light of our social and economic development and consumer demand,” Xi, 58, said at a luncheon yesterday, joined by Biden and California officials. “We will actively expand imports from the U.S., including from L.A.”
    The U.S. exported than $100 billion of products and services to China in 2011, Biden said.
    Xi’s comments came before an announcement that DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. (DWA), creator of the “Kung Fu Panda” films, formed a venture with Chinese state-owned companies to develop entertainment projects there.

27. 169 Don
    February 18, 2012 at 10:06 am

Melissa Harris-Perry show begins with a bang, she has some Republican on and they are going at it.

• 170 Bill
      February 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

The Republican is Richard Nixon’s son-in-law, Edward Cox, and Chairman of the Republican Party in New York. He does not seem very bright.

• 171 utaustinliberal
        February 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

You’re too kind Bill. He’s a bloody dumbass. He doesn’t seem to understand that facts will always trump fantasy. He was incredibly rude. He kept talking over MHP and interrupting her. Ugh.

• 172 LunarSea
          February 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

“He was incredibly rude. He kept talking over MHP and interrupting her.” It’s a typical rethug quality/tactic.

• February 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

She should not have had that republican on, he is crass and wants to embarrass her!
      Anyways, it’s good to see her have her own show.

• 174 Don
        February 18, 2012 at 10:22 am

Jovie, Harris-Perry can handle her own business. Don’t worry about her getting embarrassed by the Republican, if anything he’s the one that needs the help.

• 176 Linda
        February 18, 2012 at 10:22 am

He was trying to steam roll her.

• February 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

She’s getting hammered on twitter for having this much GOP nonsense right out of the gate on her debut show.

• 178 prettyfoot58
            February 18, 2012 at 10:45 am

I think that she wanted to talk about the state of Conservatism..and what is a conservative…which is a discussion worth having…because the word is thrown around very much today…but i am not sure that Colin Powel and others like him recognize this brand of conservatism that is practiced by today’s Republican Party…….

but he could not talk about it in the 3rd person…he wanted to use this opportunity to bash the president and his policies…

and twitter will be overly critical of MHP…cause that is the way things work…..

28. February 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

Good morning, all!! Does anyone how you go about being part of the receiving crowd for the President at the airport? I live in Miami and want to go see him when he comes here on Thursday. Do I just show up and hope I get in or do I have to get some kind of special pass?

• 180 utaustinliberal
      February 18, 2012 at 10:38 am

I think you need a special pass; I’m not so sure. Maybe you can call your Rep or Senator’s office and inquire about the process. Any other TODer have other ideas?

February 18, 2012 at 10:45 am

I seem to have a vague memory that Isonprize got her ‘pass’ through her OFA connection as she is a volunteer in her area. Maybe you could check with your local OFA and also ask here again when you see Ison or Meta, I think.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

I read somewhere a while ago that airport greeters tend to be Secret Service, military and local official families but I don’t know if that’s correct. I haven’t tried at SFO because the airport is not close to the city and it’s huge. I wouldn’t even know how to find where AF1 lands. Sometimes he takes a helicopter into the city and lands over near the Golden Gate Bridge onto Crissy Field, which I would love to try and catch someday if I could figure out his itinerary.

• 183 Bill
      February 18, 2012 at 10:52 am

Is there a PBO campaign office in Miami you could call?

• February 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

Call the Politics section at the Miami Herald, and ask them to find out.
      It’s what they do.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thanks everyone!!! I’ll let you know how it works out :)

February 18, 2012 at 11:02 am

Ok. Totally O/T…but you HAVE to watch this! I was crying :) WARNING:DO NOT HAVE FOOD OR DRINK IN YOUR MOUTH!!! You will either need to throw yourself against the kitchen counter to dislodge the food, or you will ruin your computer…..

30. 187 jeff
    February 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

Hi everyone.

I usually just scroll through the comments but occasionally throw my opinions in the mix. I just wanted to share that my mom’s health has taken a serious turn for the worse. She has stage 4 lymphoma and the nurse that comes by told me that she’s pretty much near her end she guessed a week or two because I pressed her as she told me you can’t really accurately predict these things.

Anyway I just wanted to say I love coming on here and seeing the positivity vs the gloom of Huff Puff. I know I really shouldn’t go on there but I have met a lot of positive affirming people on there as well despite all the trolls. Take it easy everyone.

February 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

So sorry to hear about your mom, jeff. I guess all that you can do is to be there for her…and make sure that you have no regrets. Say all the things that you have always meant to say and never quite got around to….she will know when her time has come. Just be there for her. Many hugs and good thoughts for you and your family

February 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

Jeff, I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

No words, but prayers are headed upstairs for you and her. The tough thing is to remember to take care of yourself a well as her.

• 191 donna dem 4 obama
      February 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

Oh jeff my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this trying time.

• 192 LunarSea
      February 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

{{{{{Jeff & Mom}}}}}

So very sorry. I agree with desertflower. Spend this time removing any regrets you may have so when the time comes it will be met with peace (as much as can be found in this circumstance) My heart goes out to you both.

February 18, 2012 at 11:37 am

We appreciate your presence with us, Jeff, and we will hold you and your family in our thoughts. May you and your family strengthen each other as you share your mother’s remaining time on this side of the divide. VC

• 194 prettyfoot58
      February 18, 2012 at 11:51 am

jeff…

my prayers are with you and your mom and your fam …..

• 195 lovingandlaughing
      February 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

Love to you and your mom jeff at this time…and a great big michelle obama hug.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm

HI Jeff

So sorry about your Mom. Feel free to vent hear, we can listen and offer support.

• 197 miss pat
      February 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Jeff, I lost my mom and dad within two weeks of each other in 2002. Just stay strong, let her know you are there for her and tell her you love her. I got my mom to say “I love you”. Never heard her say those words in all my life. I sang hymns to them, read the Bible verses that they loved . I am so glad I went home and was able to be with them. I will pray for you and your family. God bless you.

• 198 sjterrid
      February 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom’s health. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• February 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Oh, Jeff. I’m so so sorry. These are the hardest times in our lives. Take each moment and each day you have with her and make all you can of it. Many of us have been where you are–both my parents are gone now. Come back and talk to us when your day is just too much to take.

31. February 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Greetings to all the lovely TODers.
    Hope everyone’s having a wonderful saturday.

Eeek….. CNN just ruined mine by putting that pompous ass, Piers Morgan, to host Whiney’s funeral. Damn, I wish I could watch it on another channel, but I have no choice. I’m just gonna have to mute every time he talks. Ugh..

• 201 utaustinliberal
      February 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

Piers Morgan is a jerk. This is a human being who died and he’s treating her death like the next ratings or sweeps week for his show. He’s being very rude and offensive. I know MSNBC, E!, and BET are also covering the funeral so you have some other choices if you want to channel surf.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm

A jerk indeed, UT. Ratings is all a Murdoch phone hacker like him knows. Shame on CNN for keeping him on.
        Anyway, thanks for the info, but unfortunately I’m not in the States and the only channel I can get is CNN. I’m stuck. But to say goodbye to my beloved Whitney, I’ll bear it.

February 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

great comment from the orange place regarding Vagina’s (used to be known as Virginia) govt sanctioned rape law:

The same people pushing for these mandatory sonogram bills have also been pushing for years for “conscience clauses” …like allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control. So what do you suppose they would say if a doctor refused to perform this government-mandated invasive sonogram as a matter of conscience?

Good question.

33. February 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

Good morning family. Need your help. We have family visiting this weekend (from northeast TN)……up where there’s a lot of uninformed folks; also a lot of people on TennCare, Medicaid and Welfare. Both my husband’s niece and her daughter work in the health care field (ER and an OBGYN office). All they can talk about is Obamacare, how awful it is, how awful “the system” is, the fraud in the system–which is definitely true! I’ve pushed back with quite a bit of info, suggested she read Wendell Potter’s book, Deadly Spin. (Told her about his background since he is a UT grad and is from northeast TN!) Anyway, the final straw was both their insistence that people who have Medicaid do NOT EVER pay any sales tax on anything they buy……the 20 yr. old said, “They have a different pay scale.” I kid you not. I flat out said that is not true……they continued to insist that it is definitely true. They are the kind that I need to show them absolute proof. Sooooo, I need help folks. They are gone for a few hours and granddaughter is asleep. :)

February 18, 2012 at 11:17 am

Tnmtngirl, I recommend at this point that you not waste your time with people who are clearly invested in not knowing the facts. There’s enough information out there for people who are REALLY interested in knowing the truth about the Affordable Care Act. If anyone who works in the health care field claims to not know about ACA – then they are covering their arses to disguise the TRUE source of their irrational hatred towards the President. Period.

• 206 JER
      February 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

Take them to the store with you to buy something. Then ask the salesperson/cashier about how to get the Medicaid sales tax scale.

February 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

http://www.elderlawanswers.com/elder_info/medicaid-planning.asp See if you find something here…..Healthcare.gov maybe……even WH.gov…..from my quick read, Medicaid is run on a state by state basis….so the problems they site may have more to do with the TN govt setup than the Feds :)

• February 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

Thanks to all. I did point out numerous times that the problem with addressing the fraud in TennCare MUST start at the top with the governor and the attorney general. I threw in how PO has made the fraud issue a priority and how much the DOJ had recovered just last year. Thankfully, I had read that earlier on TOD. JER, I love your suggestion. Next time I go to the store, I am going to ask if there’s a TennCare/Medicaid sales tax exemption. Love that idea. :)

• February 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

See the article chips has posed above on how PBO has recovered billions from individuals and companies engaged on medicare fraud. These are record levels since the system was started.

• 211 LunarSea
      February 18, 2012 at 11:46 am

You can always laugh at them and end the conversation. Tell them there is no point in discussing it further but when they are ready to discuss the actual facts, you will be available. Tell them that you would rather enjoy their company than debate something that neither of you are capable of agreeing on during their visit.

If they keep bringing it up, ask them why? Ask them if deep down they are searching for the truth because they know there is something wrong with the info they’ve been exposed to. If not searching for answers, then they are itching for an argument to nowwhere and the conversation needs to be dropped, as I suspect they are just doing this to get a rile out of you. Don’t take the bait. It’s a republican thing.

They are making a conscious decision to believe what they want and nothing you can say will change their minds at this point.

I’ve never liked the way it feels to bang my head against a cement wall. That sounds like what you are, in essence, doing.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I like to mess with folks heads and ask them to prove their claims. Put the burden of proof on them instead of trying to convince them otherwise. It’s impossible to convince them for one thing, because you have to deal with cognitive dissonance, which makes them dig in and believe more strongly in their set of ‘facts’. But when you challenge them to prove to you what they are stating, then it gets more difficult for them. They expect you to just believe them because they said so.

34. 213 vitaminlover
    February 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

The cartoon with Mr. Romney cutting down the tree is so on point. That man is so socially and verbally inept. He just doesn’t get it. He does not know how to act and is a weak copycat obsessing over everthing President Obama does.

35. 215 donna dem 4 obama
    February 18, 2012 at 11:17 am

Good Morning TOD!

I missed everything last night. Hubby took me to the Kennedy Center as a Valentine’s Day gift to see Chris Botti. Fantastic Show!

That Picture of PBO walking with the umbrella is off the chain swaggerlicious. I’ve posted it everywhere. The man is simple the whole package. Brilliant, Kind, Thoughtful and Lord Have Mercy Fine to look at.

Have a great O’Day Everyone!

36. February 18, 2012 at 11:26 am
    February 18, 2012 at 11:28 am

How come the CNN feed of Whitney’s funeral is moving but i can’t get any sound, at least for the past 20 minutes?

February 18, 2012 at 11:33 am

TROLL ALERT on TWITTER (who should be reported): Just a heads up, folks, there is a troll (supposedly Santorum supporter) on Twitter who is posting a series of vile tweets about the President and anyone who he perceives to be a PBO supporter including BWD, Rev Al, DailyKos, and Jay Leno. His handle is @nankerphelge4. Here’s an example of a recent tweet:

• 223 utaustinliberal
      February 18, 2012 at 11:48 am

I saw that. His tweets are vile, disgusting, and very very disturbing. He’s also threatening PBO. I saw that people on twitter are reporting him to SS.

• 224 LunarSea
      February 18, 2012 at 11:51 am

This guy is following 5 ppl: herman cain, gay barack obama “I’m barack & I’m gay”, rick splattorum, and chris christie. And last but not least Barack Obama.

LOL another deranged soul from the denizens of the deep

• 226 prettyfoot58
      February 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

…i wonder why this “N” keeps popping up on this blog…..

The “N” word is not a 3rd person word for me….it is a very much a 1st person vibe…..

39. 228 LDS
    February 18, 2012 at 11:41 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family, Michelle’s husband , Sasha and Malia’s father looked so deep in thought while carrying his own umbrella right side up.

Chips, you did go there. Thank you for making me laugh so hard early in the morning. I just want to thank whoever posted the article about Caterpillar in Athens, Ga. making a come back. That is where I was born and raised. I am so happy that the county of Clarke and nearby Oconee will get a boost in the economy. My prayer is that the “playing field will be fair”. And that Georgia as a red state will realize that it was on POB’s watch that the economy is getting ht boost that it needs.

I have some good and bad memories of growing up there. But thank God we have a President in office who is for all people and he just GETS IT!
    Love conquers all!

Have a great day everyone. I know when I get back there will be more excitement here. I am so glad Our President is home with his wonderful family. That always makes me smile. Thank you, Chips!

40. February 18, 2012 at 11:52 am

Wow that news coverage from KOMA in Washington was wonderful.. how it ought to be – none of the bs talking points.

41. 230 Tally
    February 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Am I the only one not watching #whitneycnn?