Feb

evening all

@liberalgirl007

Puerto Rico’s Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi and Sen. Carmelo Rios unveil a bronze statue of President Barack Obama, along the “Avenue of Heroes” outside the Capitol building, in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Feb. 20. Puerto Rican officials unveiled statues of Obama and former President Lyndon B. Johnson. Every sitting U.S. president who has ever visited Puerto Rico is honored with a statue, dating back to Theodore Roosevelt. Obama became the eighth when he visited in June.

Steve Benen’s growing list of achievements by PBO’s administration on gay rights:

* announced it will not defend the constitutionality of statutes blocking same-sex military spouses from receiving marriage benefits

* successfully repealed the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law

* expanded federal benefits for the same-sex partners of executive-branch employees

* signed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act into law

* cleared the way for hospital-visitation rights for same-sex couples

* lifted the travel/immigration ban on those with HIV/AIDS

* ordered the Federal Housing Authority to no longer consider the sexual orientation of applicants on loans

* expanded the Census to include the number of people who report being in a same-sex relationship

* directed U.S. agencies abroad to ensure our humanitarian and diplomatic efforts “promote and protect” the rights of gays and lesbians

* endorsed repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act

* stopped trying to defend DOMA against federal court challenges

O……kay:

A carnival float depicts US President Barack Obama as Captain America during the traditional parade in Cologne, Germany, Feb. 20

Charles P. Pierce (Esquire): ….. Having aligned itself in the mid-1960’s with the angry remnants of American apartheid, the Republican party – and the conservative “movement” which is its only real energy – is now scrambling, one state at a time, to undo the achievements of the Civil Rights Movement on the wrong side of which it decided to place itself for political advantage…..

….. The shift is driven by the fact that people do not want black people, or poor people, or Democrats in general, to vote. This was obvious from the voter cadging in Florida in 2000, and in the mischief with the voting machine placements in Ohio in 2004. It was energized recently by the fact that black people and poor people helped elect a black person president, and a substantial portion of the Republican party and its conservative base found that to be an illegitimate outcome and has worked ever since his inauguration to delegitimize him on the grounds that he is a black man who was elected and is, therefore, not really president.

Full post here

SmartyPants: One of the things that concerns me as we watch the Republicans revert to their old culture wars against women, people of color, gays & lesbians, poor people, unions, etc. is that we will all divide again into our camps to defend our root causes and forget the bigger picture that binds us. Other than fear, the right’s most effective weapon against us is division.

What will keep us united is to always remember the big picture of what’s happening. As I’ve been saying, keeping an eye on the forest means recognizing that the old white male heterosexual patriarchy is dying and the Republican Party is in chaos. What we can expect is that the old beast is going to strike out at anything it perceives as a threat and therefore the cause of its demise.

Full post here

Carter Eskew (Washington Post): I was thinking of taking today off, but Rick Santorum wouldn’t let me.

Rick Santorum went and said another stupid thing. “The Earth is not the objective,” he told “Face The Nation.” “Man is the objective. And, I think a lot of radical environmentalists have it upside down.”

I think he says these things not because he is, in fact, stupid, but because he is angry, and anger fuels his supporters.

More here

Go to OFA for the interactive graphic

Ed Kilgore: A good deal of the excitement over the recent contraception coverage mandate has resulted from the hopes of Republicans, and the fears of some Catholic liberals, that the controversy could prove to be a “wedge issue” that would drive significant numbers of Catholic voters into the GOP column in November.

The assumption behind such scenarios, of course, is that there is a self-conscious “Catholic vote” that operates independently of the rest of the electorate, and that can be moved by the pronouncements of Catholic religious leaders.

My latest column for The New Republic examines this assumption, and finds it uncompelling in several respects: Catholic voters are remarkably similar to all voters in their partisan inclinations; they do not have any overall inclination to follow the Church hierarchy on hot-button cultural issues; and in fact, they are not responding differently from other Americans to the contraception coverage mandate controversy. “The Catholic Vote” looks just like America.

More here

Tuesday: 11:35 AM – PBO hosts a payroll tax cut event, VP Biden also attends.

The President and First Lady will invite music legends and contemporary major artists to the White House for a celebration of Blues music and in recognition of Black History Month as part of their “In Performance at the White House” series.

Wednesday: The President will deliver remarks at the construction site of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Thursday: The President will travel to the University of Miami to continue to discuss his blueprint for an economy built to last.

Friday: The President will host Prime Minister Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark for a meeting in the Oval Office.

Reverend Keith A. Gordon: Blues fans, circle Monday, February 27th, 2012 on your calendars, ’cause we’re going to paint the White House blue! The Emmy Award-winning PBS series In Performance At The White House is going to document a historic celebration of the blues with a taping of a February 21st concert to be held in the East Room of the White House, the event hosted by President and Mrs. Obama in recognition of Black History Month.

In Performance At The White House program host Taraji P. Henson will oversee the concert, which will feature performances by Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews, B.B. King, Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, Gary Clark, Jr., Keb’ Mo’, Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks, Shemekia Copeland, Warren Haynes, and Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger. Stax Records legend Booker T. Jones will serve as the concert’s music director and bandleader.

….. The concert will be streamed live (from 7:20) on the White House, Public Broadcasting, and Black Public Media websites….

237 Responses to “evening all”

1. 1 Marlz (@marjgra)
    February 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Good evening all.

2. 20 Betsy
    February 20, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Yeah, I’m 4th or 5th or 6th!!!

3. 27 Pamela
    February 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Evening All! Hey, that sounds familiar, eh? :) Home, finally, hot cuppa, kitty in my lap, hanging with ma’ TODObots! Life is good! ;)

4. 32 LOL
    February 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I’ll bet you 10K that Huntsman wished he had stayed ambassador of China….probably would have been a stronger 2016 candidate.

Jon Huntsman’s failed presidential campaign ended January more than $5 million in debt, new campaign finance reports show.

The campaign owed about $2.6 million to Huntsman himself, who wrote a series of big checks last year in an effort to boost his floundering presidential bid that hinged largely on his performance in the Jan. 10 primary in New Hampshire.

5. 37 GGail
    February 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Betsy – as a fellow “west coaster”, I feel your pain. But Keep Hope Alive for you too can be First……or #199 as I normally am! LOL!!!!

I have my calendar circled for Blues Night!!! whooo hoooooo

Thank you Puerto Rico – such a grand and lovely gesture.

• 38 Pamela
      February 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm

LOL, GGail, I find I am often posting right beside you wayyyyyyyy up high in those BIG numbers! Sometimes my iPhone just can’t handle all the scrolling, and gives up until a new thread appears! Oh well, I don’t really mind, just so pleased to be along for the sharing, but is suspect I miss quite a lot! :)

• 39 GGail
        February 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm

LOL! we’re just glad to be in the numbers Pamela. I don’t know what I would do without TOD and Chipsticks. You guys are the glue that holds my sanity.

• 40 nathkatun7
      February 21, 2012 at 1:19 am

GGail, I feel you about us “west coasters.” It’s not that easy to be first. Personally, I don’t mind being one of the last people on this site because I get to enjoy reading all the comments, especially the humorous ones.

• 41 Betsy
      February 21, 2012 at 2:02 am

:D :D Thanks GGail. Nice to know I’m not alone.

6. 42 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    February 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm

JUST CATCHING UP…HAD TO GO TO A 16 YEAR OLD’S FUNERAL SERVICE TONITE…GOD BLESS THIS AMAZING FAMILY WHO ADOPTS SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN. CLAY IS WITH JESUS!

• February 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Ah Sue, 16? Beyond sad, so sorry.

• 44 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        February 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm

HE WAS SUFFERING MISERABLE FROM SEVERE AUTISM AND JESUS CALLED HIM HOME. HALF OF THE CHILDREN THIS FAMILY ADOPTED ARE SEVERELY HANDICAPPED. THIS IS THEIR SECOND LOSS…GOD BLESS THEM FOR TAKING CARE OF CHILDREN NOONE WANTED!

• 45 isonprize
          February 20, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Aw Sue, you are such a winner!! My guy has autism, but he’s doing well. I’m sorry to hear that the young man had such a rough go of it. Prayers and all good thoughts for his family. There really are special angel wings for adoptive parents!!! FOR REAL!!!

• February 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm

May he rest in peace, Sue. What an incredible family.

• 48 JoJothecat
          February 20, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Sue, I am sure they were glad you were there to comfort them during this difficult time. It takes some very special people to adopt..let alone special needs children. Thank God that this young man had a family to love him during his short life and how blessed he was while on earth and now he is with the Lord.

February 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm

So Rachel is having MMFlint on her show @9PM. If he ever utters a word of bashing against my President he will be blasted on Twitter!

8. February 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

The Tea Party on that float doesn’t look too happy.

Regarding Santorum’s statement, he is basing that on the biblical statement about God giving man dominion over the earth, and therefore PBO and others who think it is important to take care of the earth have a bad theology. The only problem is that the Hebrew ord for dominion actually could be appropriately tarnslated as stewardship, and some Bibles have it translated that way. And that means taking care of, not plundering and raping the earth. But Santorum also feels the Bible states man has dominion over women, which means it is perfectly all right to plunder and rape them, I guess.

9. February 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

What a great gesture from Puerto Rico!

10. 65 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    February 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

OUR PBO SHOULD RECEIVE THE RESPECT PUERTO RICO HAS GIVEN HIM…IN AMERICA! I AM SO ASHAMED OF SO MANY HERE WHO CALL THEMSELVES AMERICANS AND FAIL MISERABLY WHEN THEY OPEN THEIR DISRESPECTFUL MOUTHS AGAINST OUR PRESIDENT!

11. February 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm

In honor of President’s Day a food blog I visit had this post: How To Eat (And Drink) Like President Obama in Chicago

I’m full right now so everything looks gross. No offense to Chicago or the President.

12. 67 Marlz (@marjgra)
    February 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I was first but did not get an acknowledgement from Chip!
    Feeling quite left out! :(

13. February 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Excellent Henry Louis Gates documentary, “Looking for LIncoln” on my public television now…

February 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Blues Night at the WH on Monday Feb 27th, or Klown Night at CNN on Wednesday Feb 22?

Please advise.

• February 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Oooooooooh, that’s a tough choice Hopefruit. Rick’s Hitlerisms or BB’s magic? I’ll have to get back to you on that one.

February 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Oh Chips I do feel your pain! I knew this would represent a HUGE conflict for you (and many TODers)…it’s one of those very difficult decisions in life that keep you up at night…hang in there.

• 89 isonprize
        February 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I’m not a big fan of rap music, but Common?? WHhheeeew, LAWD, that man is fine. He could rap the ABC’s and I’d be right there, watching him.

BB King, Trombone Shorty and the Orleans Band, Buddy Guy, Keb Mo, Mick Jagger??? WHAT??? I would love to be a fly on that wall!!!

That place is gonna be rockin’!!! All that’s missing is the girls.Sweet Honey in the Rock, Bonnie Raitt, Patti LaBelle …

• 90 GGail
          February 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Don’t forget Booker T Jones as the conductor isonprize. You betcha that place is gonna be rockin’!

• 91 yardarm756
          February 20, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Now see. You want to blow the roof off da WH. :-)

• 92 isonprize
            February 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Hey, I didn’t make the set list. But I think there has been more music at the White House in these last 3 years than over the last 30!!

February 20, 2012 at 9:24 pm

The ghosts of former Presidents Abe, FDR, Jefferson, etc, are enjoying this period in the WH. They love it when PBO sings “let’s stay together.” while getting ready for work in the morning. They love the happy laughter and chatter of the girls, while WH Chef Sam Kass is whipping up some delicious dinner in the kitchen. They love the endless stream of happy visitors who tour the WH everyday. They love the holiday decorations and traditions with FLOTUS. They will be depressed come 2017.

• February 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm

What lovely imagery – but, I’m hoping they won’t be depressed for a long time to come. They may not be as happy as they are now with this remarkable family in the White House, but, let’s hope that a Democratic occupies that house for a long time to come!

• 95 GGail
                February 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm

hopefruit2 that is such a wonderful image of the old guys enjoying the sights and sounds of the House as it was designed to be….The People’s House. You have such a way with words. :-)

• 96 yardarm756
              February 20, 2012 at 9:35 pm

More visitors too. More of everything except b.s.

• 97 Pamela
          February 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Linda Ronstadt!

15. 116 Pamela
    February 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Ok, I know I miss a lot on TOD, and sometimes have to miss entire threads as I just can’t go back to read everything, but I have not seen JO’B on here for what seems like ages, just wondering if anyone knows whether she is away, or what? I miss her…. (JacquelineO’Boomer, where are you?)

February 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Perhaps vacation? Hopefully she’s okay :) ‘m following her on Twitter and the last tweet was on Sunday Feb (12) one week from yesterday.

• 118 Pamela
        February 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thank you, HF, that seems like a long time for her, she is so involved and prolific. We were on the original OFA blog together in ’08, always appreciated her views and her humor. I am sure she is fine, hopefully resting on a sunny beach somewhere, like Boracay Island maybe?

• February 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Hi Pamela and Hopefruit, I honestly don’t know if JacquelineO’Boomer would want me to say that she’s left the blog, but for those worried about her I think it’s only fair to let you know – she’s fine, but just has chosen not to comment here anymore.

I don’t want to put words in her mouth, but again, just to explain what it’s about, she was upset by my rant about the Catholic church last week – she took it as an anti-Catholic rant, but I tried to explain to her in an email that I was attacking the leadership of the church, not Catholics themselves.

As I said to her, “my entire family is Catholic, my elderly mother devoutly so, as was my late father … It’s the church I grew up in, so that’s probably why I feel more at ease ranting about it than I would about Islam, Judaism, Protestantism, etc. You tend to be most critical of your ‘own’.”

But, as usual when I lose my head, I don’t make my point too well, so I don’t blame Jacqueline at all for being offended. It did read like an anti-Catholic blast.

I really hope she comes back some day, I miss her. I wish her only the best.

• February 20, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Oh, I’m so sad to hear this. JO’B goes back a long way with some of us to the early OFA blog. She’s such a great force. I hope she knows how much we all love her.

February 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Oh dear – I’m sorry to hear this! I do hope she returns after a cooling down period (which we all need from time to time). I used to enjoy her posts tremendously, but I haven’t seen her on Twitter either, so I guess she’s taking a break from politics.

Chips don’t blame yourself! The GOP is very divisive and not conducive to civil political discourse. Many times we have fights on this blog, it’s almost always over some silly wedge issue dredged up by the useless REPUBLICANS. And the media doesn’t help either with their endless unsourced rumors about some anonymous WH official that leaked FALSE info about what decision PBO is going to make – just to get people riled up over nothing!!!

• 123 GGail
              February 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I’m sorry too that even with your apology/explanation Chipsticks that J’OB has remained silent. I hope she does re-read your words and return to TOD. You have a good heart Chipsticks and I believe she does too. I admire you for being a big enough person to explain the absence to us Chipsticks.

• February 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Good Evening
                It seems like this is the division SmartyPants was warning us about. What the Bishops did was outrageous!!!!! All of us have every right to be really pissed. Espcially since PBO went out of his way to find the compromise. I hate the silence and stifled anger of women. We should be shouting from the rooftops. If 2% Catholic women want to support them, so be it. I am so mad I am gagging! And dont even mention VA!

• 125 prettyfoot58
                  February 21, 2012 at 7:20 am

I hate the silence and stifled anger of women….

***********************************************

true words…..

but what gives me hope is that protest that took place yesterday in VA outside the statehouse…their silence was heard all the way to the Heavens,,,,

Pressssssssssssss ON!

• 126 sabreen60
              February 20, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I agree. Republicans know that religion is very personal. Therefore, it’s a difficult subject to discuss. People do get offended and often offense is not intended. There are several wedge issues in the media right now and if we aren’t careful the will do exactly what they are intended to do – place wedges between us. We’ve got to be mature about these things and realize that we’re on the same team.

• February 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that. I so enjoyed her posts.

• 128 Pamela
            February 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Well, in some ways I am glad to know that much, at least. That was a tough week for so many people, the ire was high, the deep seated fears the church, not only the RCC, instills in all of us from an early age, emerged that week, and the release was not cathartic for some, but was very necessary for others. JO’B, if you are still reading, just not commenting, please know you are not alone in seeking out a balance in Soul Consciousness as it relates to what must seem like suppression and mind control to a great many people. I, too, am from a deeply Catholic family; my mother birthed 11 children in 16 years: 9 boys and 2 girls. She was completely worn out, she was a wonderful, fun loving woman, a tiny little lady, a great mom, but her Soul was in torment in her final years, when she was so sick, so damaged from giving birth too many times. She became so upset with the teachings which seemed to have failed her when she needed them most. I think her guilt hastened her early demise at the tender age of 56. I was blessed to be at her side, holding her hand when she passed. In the wee hours of the morning, it was the 4th of July, in Washington DC. Her Body Of Light lifted from her worn out shell, filling the room with a vast and tangible sense of the Eternal, the Endless, the Infinite, and she told me then that there is no goodbye. I have since learned the only and greatest sin is separation. When we fail to recognize God in each other, when we choose to create a void between ourselves and all other life forms, we succeed only in alienating our own Self, further creating a longing for God, and we risk becoming lost, frightened and alone. That is no way to live, it is not what we are here to do. Please come back JO’B. We are only human, seeking Light, Love and Blessing. Each in our own way.

• February 21, 2012 at 2:08 am

Jackie is fine, Pam. She is taking a break.

16. February 20, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Insightful words by Smartypants re: the angry teapublican base. They have systematically tried to work revenge on every group they perceive to have elected this man to office. How dare they?!?!?! Don’t they know that only THEY are entitled to fuck up this country any way they see fit?

Bring the economy to its knees? Still entitled!

Start ill-fated war after ill-fated war? Still entitled!

Ship jobs overseas while paying Americans less? Still entitled!

Ignore crumbling infrastructure? Still entitled!

…..and so on, and so on….

It’s been predictable, but still amazing, to see them attack practically everyone but a small sliver of the populace: male, rich, white millionaires — almost no other group has been immune from their frenzied attacks — they hate practically everyone, LOL!

They’re sowing the seeds of their own destruction, but their hate blinds them to this very real fact.

• February 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Junkessa, very well stated. The tea party was created by and for rich white male millionaires so it’s natural that’s who they owe their allegiance to. There would always have been dead end racist and angry groups around the country, but the millionaires packaged and promoted the discontented ones as some kind of grand movement and got the corporate-owned media to play along with them. The so named tea party groups then did the dirty work of stirring up voter resentment and getting the GOP a lot of lapdogs back in power. Now they want a papa lapdog in the WH to complete the takeover.

• February 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Exactly, Jackie. It seems that there *may* be enough middle class/working class folks who are waking up to the fact that they’ve been had and sold out. We shall see if there are enough to realize that this GOP isn’t thinking about them, and in fact loathes them, with their middle class teaching, police, firefighter, and union jobs. We shall see. :roll:

17. February 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

A belated

Missed the big announcement until now!

• 144 susanne
      February 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

if they took all the money they spend electing repugs, and all the money they spend busting unions, and just paid their employees a decent wage with decent benefits, they’d probably be ahead financially. plus, they wouldn’t have to rot for eternity in hell, as they now will.

18. 146 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Just to be clear …

#PRESSON

19. February 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Happy belated Birthday Smoothscotch.

20. February 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Also, just wanted to say hello and (((((((((((((((hugs to Fred and Mom)))))))))))))))))))))) Hope all is going fine. Sending good thoughts to you, Fred and Mom.HZ

21. 151 Lockewasright
    February 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Oh my!!1!!one!! The collection of guitarists set to perform at the White House is nothing short of magnificant! I will be catching that performance for sure! Wow!! I can’t wait!

February 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Piers Morgan is to Whitney Houston what Larry King was to Michael Jackson!

• 153 collegekay
      February 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Lol, Larry King did Michael Jackson coverage for like a month straight.

February 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Until they fine out what Whitney died from, they will continue covering them. And because Michael was rule a homicide, you knew dare well they were going to keep talking about it.

February 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Fun Presidential Trivia:

President Coolidge took a 2-hr nap EVERY day.

24. February 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm

WASHINGTON–President Obama hits Florida this week for more high-end fund-raising. Last week, a string of big money fund-raisers in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle brought in about $8 million for the Obama 2012 Victory Fund–a combined operation of the Chicago based re-election campaign and the Democratic National Committee.
    As in California and Washington State–and other fund-raising swings–Obama has wrapped official business around the political stops. In Miami, Obama will deliver a speech on the economy at the University of Miami. On last week’s swing, Obama stopped for official business in Milwaukee and at a Boeing plant in Washington State.
    On Thursday, Obama has an event at the Biltmore Hotel in Miami with contributions ranging from $1,000 to the maximum, $35,800, another hosted by Coral Gables developer Chris Korge, a major “bundler”–someone who uses his personal connections to raise money–where the tab starts at $15,000 to $35,800. Obama flies up to Orlando for dinner at the home of basketball star Vince Carter, held the day before the NBA All Star game in Orlando.

25. 185 eveingeorgia
    February 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Why is Rachel so enamored with “The” Michael Moore, as she calls him. I find him as toxic to my mind as FOX news. As someone said on this post recently, I guess I”deserve” to be let down by Rachel. She seems to lull me into believing we’re on the same page, then she spits at me by show-casing Michael Moore…I guess I asked for it, again.

26. 191 eveingeorgia
    February 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

@theo7 I feel the same about Michael Steele, too. I can’t figure him out. Being African-American (that’s me), he’s like a bad dream that turned out to be real. I wish I didn’t feel that strongly, but I do,

@Jovie, I’m glad to hear that. I’ll watch on-line later. Just the thought of watching him was too much for me tonight..

And now LOD has on DeWine!?!. I’m going to try to listen, Jovie…just because you said “Albeit”

27. February 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Ari fleisher caked on the lipstick, he looks like Miss Piggy the Muppet!

28. 194 eveingeorgia
    February 20, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Okay, I’m slow tonight…Who is GG?

February 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

30. February 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

How much more Santorum crud are we expected to tolerate? He’s insane. He keeps escalating his scare rhetoric against PBO, saying everyone should be very nervous about Obama and religion, that Obama is behaving like a tyrant, limiting peoples’ faith. And on and on. He’s just whacko. If we had any decency in our news media, they would be calling his accusations preposterous and goofy and a bunch of ugly lies. I swear the Repubs are all suffering from some debilitating disease—-brain erosion of some sort. Birth control, contraception, voting rights act—–what in the damn world? And I see that some loony bird In. Repub said today that the Girl Scouts were a radical organization which is promoting abortions and homosexuality. They’re all delirious! Just nuts! Here is Sick Religious Paranoid Freak Santorum:

February 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

dotster3, I agree with you that Rick Santorum is a lying wacko.

• February 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Dotster, I’m actually wondering if this national campaign has totally burned out whatever working wiring Santorum had left in his brain. He was horrible as a senator from PA, but even then he didn’t show this level of insanity. I think the attention and the recent startling surge in “popularity” (that probably surprised him more than anyone) has made him feel that his cracked up way of thinking is catching on and he just has to give more of it to clinch the nomination. Would love to see him end up talking to the air as more and more people slink away from him with a look of utter revulsion on their faces.

• 200 prettyfoot58
      February 21, 2012 at 8:23 am

There was a point that Rachel made on her program last night….that since 2010 when there was a rush of Repubs into the state houses….the very first thing they did was to try to roll back womens’s rights….workers rights…..voting rights….

they have attacked contraception thru the personhood amendments and trying to defund Planned Parenthood…along with passing laws that make it more difficult to attain an abortion….

if we take all this into consideration…we should not be surprised by the rise of a Rick Santorum…

31. February 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Newt raised $5.5 mill, with $1.78 mill on hand
    By MAGGIE HABERMAN | 2/20/12 7:46 PM
    POLITICO’s Ginger Gibson reports:

32. 202 eveingeorgia
    February 20, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Oh no!!! No she didn’t!! Not the other horror story!!! Glen Grenwald literally drips with hate for PBO.

I love Steve Benen, but Rachel just lost me. I think permanently.

33. 206 Insomniac
    February 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I don’t know if this has been posted here yet, but this is Santorum’s press spokesmodel referring to President Obama’s “radical Islamist policies”. These people can’t help themselves can they? Morons! http://youtu.be/lVQmgjdiP8Q

34. February 20, 2012 at 10:29 pm

35. 208 Dudette
    February 20, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Wow, Chips! Lots of goodies in this post! You are rockin’ it!
    I need to kick my shoes off and settle in to catch up.

• 209 Dudette
      February 20, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Way way off-topic: It’s late and I’m in a slow groove kinda move. Just thought I’d share some good music with my fam..

I was going through my CD collection and hit one of my all-time faves who seriously doesn’t get enough props for his incredible talent — Mr. Rahsaan Patterson. If you’re into smooth jazz or what some of us call “quiet storm” R&B, curl up in a comfy chair with a nice glass of wine and let his voice wash over you. Here’s a great performance of his:

36. 210 eveingeorgia
    February 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm

GREENWALD excuse the incorrect spelling.

37. February 20, 2012 at 10:46 pm

It was nice to see that Louis Gates documentary, “Looking for Lincoln” ended with a clip from PBO’s election night speech. It was a perfect ending to a fascinating work of history.

38. February 20, 2012 at 11:02 pm

BRUSSELS (Reuters) – Euro zone finance ministers approved on Tuesday a second bailout for debt-laden Greece that will resolve Athens’ immediate repayment needs but seems unlikely to revive the nation’s shattered economy.

After a marathon 12 hours of talks through the night, euro zone officials said ministers had agreed measures to cut Greece’s debt to around 121 percent of gross domestic product by 2020, close to their original target of 120, after negotiators for private bondholders offered to accept a bigger loss to help plug the funding gap.

Agreement on a 130-billion-euro rescue package with strict conditions attached will help draw a line under months of uncertainty that has shaken the currency bloc, and avert an imminent bankruptcy.

• February 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thanks Jovie. My heart breaks for the Greeks, their country has been utterly destroyed by this disaster, and it will take more than a few lifetimes to recover. And wouldn’t you know, Goldman Sachs played its part.

• 218 JoJothecat
        February 20, 2012 at 11:30 pm

there is a special place in hell for the Goldman Sachs and others that duped so many over their greed. I was listening to NPR over the weekend and heard stories of how once working adults have moved back with parents with NO hope of finding work (sounds similar to here) how hard things are with the austerity measures are…it could easily been the USA if PBO had not stimulated the economy and is doing the things he is doing.

• 219 Smoothscotch
          February 21, 2012 at 1:23 am

It’s so bad in Greece, on my news right now, the Greek community here are getting inquires from their homeland as to the Alberta advantage. So many inquires, they are now being referred to the Canadian embassy in Italy(?).

39. 220 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 20, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Good evening Ms Chipsticks!

Please share with all you know …

I will notify all of you when it is published – should be within the next 6-8 weeks. And, yes, you’ll likely recognize one of the contributors ;)

Yes We Can … DO More Together

We Must

40. 224 Dudette
    February 20, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Clap, clap, clap, clap… file this under ’bout damn time!
    ———————————————————————————————

Gov. Mark Dayton Calls Out ALEC By Name, Is A Model for Other Democrats

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton (D) specifically called out the American Legislative Exchange Council in a recent speech, taking on one of the key operatives on the right wing in a way that few other Democrats have done in recent years, despite ALEC’s rising power in state legislatures across the country. ALEC has repeatedly attempted to push pro-corporate, anti-working family legislation in numerous states and has managed to largely fly under the radar in the media and with the public. The more high profile politicians like Dayton call them out, the more pressure the organization will face from working families and their allies.

February 20, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Liberals vs. conservatives
    We are not the same. I equate Republicans’ political views with thoughtlessness, intolerance and narcissism. They’re neither kind nor empathetic.

42. 227 Dudette
    February 20, 2012 at 11:33 pm

How on earth did we miss this?

All the Presidents’ Jams
    Listen to these 44 songs about our 44 presidents—and today’s otherwise ho-hum holiday might just blow your mind.

43. February 20, 2012 at 11:36 pm

WASHINGTON–Days before the Illinois primary, President Barack Obama returns to Chicago on March 16 on a fund-raising swing. One high end event is a lunch at the Palmer House Hilton in the Loop.
    “Lawyers for Obama invite you to join President Barack Obama for a lunch with supporters like you in Chicago,” reads the invite. The tab is $35,800 to be a lunch chair; $25,000 to be a host with “campaign discussion and preferred seating” ; $10,000 for just preferred seating and $2,500 just for the lunch.
    Obama returns just before the March 20 Illinois primary.

44. 230 eveingeorgia
    February 20, 2012 at 11:39 pm

About Jacqueline O’Boomer

I hate to know that anyone has left this site.This is where I come to escape the madness, the lies, the ugliness in our political discourse.

I expect there to be occasional disagreements, because we’re human. Sometimes, I read things that make my ears burn, and have me expecting to feel the effects of a lightening bolt. But then, I remember that we are human, and there is no way I am going to always agree with everyone, or everyone with me.

And that is what makes coming here such a good, even healing thing, lightening bolts and all(!) – we recognize and respect each other’s humanity. Sometimes we chide each other; sometimes we correct each other; sometimes we leave in a huff, and find ourselves sidling back, because we miss the love, the joy, the affection and the fun.

We can come back because Chips sets the example by baring her soul to Jacqueline, for instance; by sharing her pain…by caring enough to let her go with grace; and loving her enough to leave the door open, should she want to return.

I was thinking the other day: What happens to this site, once the Obama administration has taken its place in history? We will all move on, probably. Some will remain in touch. But we will all have been touched by the time we have been a part of this most unlikely family; formed because of a most unlikely candidate, and maintained by our mutual recognition that we have all lived to witness one of the most remarkable leaders this nation has ever been blessed to receive.

It is because we instinctively “understand” the gift that he is that we are drawn here. We are not Obamabots, if you define the term derisively.
    We are Obama supporters because we understand what he is trying to do and what he stands for. We come together because we know it must be hell at the top, with a million different arrows aimed at him every day. We come together because we understand him to be only human, just like the rest of us, and he needs all the help, support, encouragement and prayers that we can give him.

And so, that’s what we do:We support him and Michelle with our fists clenched, with our jokes, with our, ahem..flirtations , with our tweets, and while doing these things, we make new friends. We see the world through different eyes. We exchange ideas and watch each other grow. We cheer each other on, and grieve when a family member leaves.

So, while I did not get to “know” Jacqueline as well as others, I miss her. She was a part of this family, and I like the rest of us hopes she’ll see that the door is still open.

We need each other for Obama-Biden 2012.

• 231 Dudette
      February 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Beautiful thoughts eve… I can’t imagine anyone saying that better. {{{hugs}}}

• 232 Pamela
      February 21, 2012 at 12:14 am

Amen, amen, eveingeorgia, thank you for closing the night with these beautiful, unifying thoughts and ideas, bless you!

• 233 taiping1
      February 21, 2012 at 12:41 am

Thank you for such an eloquent summation of why we love this community and this First Family.

• 234 nathkatun7
      February 21, 2012 at 2:28 am

Eve, thanks for this very thoughtful and beautiful statement! I am glad that I always come here late because I get to read statements like yours. I hope Jacqueline Oboomer is able to read it because she is certainly missed by many of us. I also hope she is able to read the heartfelt statement and apology from Chipsticks. In my humble opinion, Chipsticks is such a great soul. She is not shy about her passions. She is not consumed with false pride and that’s why she always acknowledges her mistakes and apologizes to people she offended. Above all, She has a tremendous sense of humor, which clearly reveals her deep love for life and people.

You are absolutely right: “We need each other for Obama-Biden 2012.” But we also need Chipsticks who works so hard to provide this beautiful and fun filled space where we can get together to think, argue, laugh, cry, support one another during hard times and good times; and above all, show our support and determination to re-elect President Obama.

• 235 prettyfoot58
      February 21, 2012 at 9:16 am

**********************************************8

ohhhhh EVE…

such a beautiful sentiment….i feel this so very much….

WE NEED EACH OTHER FOR Obama-Biden 2012….

Pressssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ON!!!

much love TODville

45. 236 Dudette
    February 20, 2012 at 11:45 pm

What War on Religion?
    If Obama is hell-bent on waging battle with religious institutions—as his critics allege—he sure has a funny way of showing it.

====================

“But all the outrage about religious freedom has overshadowed a basic truth about the Obama administration: When it comes to religious organizations and their treatment by the federal government, the Obama administration has been extremely generous. Religious groups have benefited handsomely from Obama’s stimulus package, budgets, and other policies. Under Obama, Catholic religious charities alone have received more than $650 million, according to a spokeswoman from the US Department of Health and Human Services, where much of the funding comes from. The USCCB, which has been such a vocal critic of the Obama administration, has seen its share of federal grants from HHS jump from $71.8 million in the last three years of the Bush administration to $81.2 million during the first three years of Obama. In fiscal 2011 alone, the group received a record $31.4 million from the administration it believes is virulently anti-Catholic, according to HHS data.

Far from waging war on religious organizations, Obama has largely left in place the federal faith-based infrastructure created by President George W. Bush. He has also increased the amount of federal dollars flowing to religious groups—much to the chagrin of civil liberties and civil rights groups. They believe the administration is turning a blind eye to ongoing and egregious constitutional violations over church-state separation by religious groups receiving millions in taxpayer dollars.

“Religious organizations have greatly benefited from the Obama administration,” says Amanda Knief, the government relations manager for the Secular Coalition.

During the 2008 campaign, in a speech in Zanesville, Ohio, Obama promised to expand the role of faith-based organizations in delivering federal services. But he added a caveat acknowledging the need for a firewall between evangelizing and serving clients. “If you get a federal grant, you can’t use that grant money to proselytize to the people you help, and you can’t discriminate against them—or against the people you hire—on the basis of their religion,” he said. “Federal dollars that go directly to churches, temples, and mosques can only be used on secular programs.”

Obama’s comments struck a chord with civil libertarians who’d been fighting the Bush administration for years over its policies, which included exempting faith-based groups from compliance with federal anti-discrimination statutes. That meant religious groups with federal contracts could refuse, for instance, to hire gays if their religious beliefs found gays and lesbians an affront to God. And they could do so even if that gay person were seeking secular work on a federal contract to, for instance, help underage kids who’d immigrated illegally to the United States without their parents..”

Too much good stuff to post here, please read the full article.

• 237 nathkatun7
      February 21, 2012 at 2:58 am

Thanks Dudette for sharing this! This is what is wrong with the so called mainstream media! They would rather pour gasoline on the right wing manufactured fires of outrage against President Obama, instead of truthfully informing the people about President Obama’s actual policies and his accomplishments. For the most part, the media uses the First Amendment’s Freedom of the Press, as cover for a freedom to tell lies and freedom to stoke manufactured controversies.

RSS OFA