Feb

evening all

People reach out to grasp hands with President Obama after he spoke at the University of Miami, February 23

Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, Fla

First Lady Michelle Obama views The Slave Pen exhibit while touring the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, Feb. 23. Pictured, from left, are: Dina Bailey, Associate Curator of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center; Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory; Verna Williams; and Allison Singleton. (Official White House Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)

Friday:

11:15 AM: PBO attends the Democratic Governors’ Association meeting.

3:00 PM: PBO holds a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark.

More photos from Miami:

Denver Post

ThinkProgress

Greg Sargent: It’s becoming clearer and clearer that the auto bailout will be central to Campaign 2012’s argument over government and the economy, and Pew Research releases some striking numbers….

The latest national survey …finds that 56% say the loans the government made to GM and Chrysler were mostly good for the economy, while 38% say the loans to the automakers were mostly bad for the economy.

Opinion about the auto loans has reversed since October 2009. At that time, just 37% said the loans were mostly good for the economy while 54% expressed negative views…..

…. independents think the auto bailout was good for the economy by a wide margin, 54-40. Even moderate/liberal Republicans agree, 57-39. And Pew tells me that non-college-degree whites – a key swing constituency that will be pivotal in the Rust Belt states – also agree, 51-40.

More here

Mother Jones

ThinkProgress: Earlier this month, the nation was barraged with media coverage of the Catholic Bishops’ opposition to regulations promulgated under the Affordable Care Act protecting working women’s access to contraception. The loudness of the bishops’ complaints ….  easily could have conveyed the misimpression that churches and other religious groups are at odds with the Affordable Care Act.

On Friday, however, a broad coalition of religious organizations filed an amicus brief supporting the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion that should give the lie to any claim that the faith community opposes the ACA …. the brief’s signatories include a wide range of Catholic groups….

More here

Thanks Loriah

ThinkProgress: As further proof that conservative efforts to paint President Obama as the enemy of religion are a red herring, nearly two dozen leading Catholic nuns filed a brief in the Supreme Court last week supporting the president’s signature legislative accomplishment. The Catholic sisters who joined the brief include the leaders of many prominent religious orders providing health care and other services to the needy…

More here

Full interview here

Thanks CTGirl

Thanks Edwina

The Clowns:

Esquire

Get your iPhone case – now!

145 Responses to “evening all”

1. 11 Lorraine
    February 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm

ABC World News was informative again today. They had a Commr on who said that the gas prices are the fault of speculators. He was great. I don’t know what is happening to ABC, they are telling the truth. They should since Jeremiah Wright was their creation.

February 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm

They weren’t telling the truth before today – and they’ve been covering the rising gas prices for many weeks now. The only reason they told the truth today is that they were FORCED to, because President Obama told the whole truth at his Miami speech this afternoon, so ABC news could no longer pretend to not know what the reason was.

This is what I tweeted earlier in the week:

2. 14 CTGirl
    February 23, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Pic 1 is just so beautiful! Talk about a melting pot!

3. February 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm

ha! I half expected another bout of ‘insider trading’. Tally is conspicuously absent, Ms. Chips. Did the price go up? Is there a little spat between management and briber? Is there a union for that? A National Briber’s League (NBL)? $246000 is a lutta mooooola to pay to get to first place. my guess is that Talz is negoctiating down.

4. 26 Ladyhawke
    February 23, 2012 at 9:47 pm

AN AMAZING DISPLAY OF ADVOCACY FOR WOMEN BY SANDRA FLUKE

============================================================

For anyone who has not seen Georgetown Law Center student Sandra Fluke testify today on contraception for women, I highly recommend it. The clarity that she brings to the discussion is just remarkable. Her testimony was the most powerful display of advocacy for women that I have seen since the women senators in the Democratic Party held a press conference to slam the Republican Party for trying to defund Planned Parenthood during the budget debate in April 2011.

1) Democrats Hold Hearing on Contraceptives & Women’s Health (2/23/12)

2) Democratic Women Senators of 2011 Budget (4/8/11)

• 27 Cathy from MN
      February 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

She was quite impressive; no wonder they were afraid to let her voice be heard….guess that is what we can do!

5. 28 isonprize
    February 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Ya know, President Obama is so aloof. He doesn’t connect well with people at all. He’s actually rather stand-offish, with a very flat affect. He seems uninterested in the job that he’s supposed to be doing. He moves very slowly and looks to be very out of shape.
    :grin: NOT!!! :grin:

• February 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm

yup! he’s an elite, libural! don’t care about us gun tooting, bible thumping, gay bashers! who does he thing he is? acting like he’s better than us common folk. arugala loving, kenyan mou mou soshulist arab muslim!!!!!

6. February 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Hey all- I hope that everyone had a good day….Mine was absolutely rotten, and work has been horrible :-(

And I’m still not done….I hate missing out on all the fun conversation, I’ve got to find another job that doesn’t suck the life out of me…

• February 23, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Sorry to hear that pinkbunny. Just remember bad days or times can’t last forever.

• February 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Oh Pink, I am so sorry! I know the feeling…stuck in a job that you absolutely can’t stand. It really takes it’s toll. Hang in there, get that resume updated and get it out there! I feel good things will come your way. We’re all behind you, that’s for sure.

• February 23, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Oh Pink, sorry you’re having a horrible day – we’ll be waiting for you when you’re done ;-)

February 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Sorry :( Don’t leave the job you hate until you have a new job! Trust me on this one…..the well qualified, MBA, ABD…has been without work for months now….find one first :)

• 38 HZ
        February 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Pink, find at least 2 things in your personality that you really know and believe that you deliver in an excellent manner and work hard on those two things as hard as possible. While working on those two things make sure that you can see yourself joyful, very free in your spirit, very confident, and as sure of yourself as like NO OTHER PERSON on the planet. Dress yourself in those two things everyday that you get up to go to your job.

Then when other things start to creep into your task(s) throughout the day, remind yourself of those two major things about your personality, ability, core, appearance, and the hope and joy of helping someone else make their life a little better for that day. Put those two things in how you speak to another co-worker, how you look at yourself as you speak, how you walk through the office, how you get out of the car, how you carry your briefcase, and how you walk into your office or place of work and how you deliver what you know you are capable of delivering in your job.

Trust me, we All have many wonderful assests but others will try to put the fire out for you, but do not allow anyone to put the fire that is already deep within your soul out especially when you know that you darn well have those two things going for you. They are there. Find them, promise to use them beautifully, and respectfully, and the rest will come and fall in its place until you are ready to move to a better place.

I am going to meditate and pray for you in this way. Trust me, it can be done. That is what carried me through a very demanding career for 36 years, and they were darn great years. I did not say all were cool and collective, but they were beautiful and I lifted my life daily along with thousands of young lives daily. Take inventory of what you already have first, and then make your move, but remember to have someplace you really want to go from where you are already before you just leave it all. Be kind to with your thoughts about you.I wish you the very best.HZ

• 39 Dudette
          February 24, 2012 at 12:05 am

THIS!

…is why I love you HZ. Although your message was for pinkbunny, it also speaks to me and my situation (and I suspects other TOD’ers as well). You have the most beautiful way of encouraging and nurturing the best in each of us. You are such a treasure!!

• 41 susanne
          February 24, 2012 at 4:05 am

what a wonderful way to address life challenges: ‘dress yourself in those two things every day’. so beautiful, and so practical!

• February 24, 2012 at 8:46 am

Words of wisdom, HZ. There are many times during my working years when I wish I had followed your advice.

7. 43 Uche
    February 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm

LOL Lisa….I was thinking the same. I said to myself, if Tally appears 1st again on this thread, I’m reporting someone to SEC for bribery/insider trading. Maybe I’ll bribe her to let me in on the action.

8. February 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

the look on the faces of those kids is awesome. they are the future and you can see that they are filled with a hope given to them by this president!

9. 46 EDP4BHO
    February 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

David Gregory is a lying POS, sitting there with his 50 questions of how is PBO doing. Never has a man been so scrutinized, micronized, all the while vilified just for looking like me and daring to dream big. They must have forgotten the scripture that says God is no respecter of persons. Bigoted America -as opposed to rational America- had better get its racist self together tout suite, or it will fall by its own deviousness.

• February 23, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Ed, there was a time in my memory (yes, once upon a time) when journalists actually pretended to be neutral and non partisan. They were trained to report facts, whether they liked the facts or not. If they were providing editorial comment on those facts, they clearly told you so. Now corporations choose anchors and so-called hosts for their “news” programs based on looks (although not in Gregory’s case) and partisan hackery. Gregory is a Republican and he will do everything in his power to pull down a Democratic president. The racism is an added little incentive to his mission, although he would protest to the high heavens that this is the case. If you’re on twitter, you should tell him what you think. I often tell him he’s a disgrace to journalism and too obviously partisan to be credible. Or, send him an e-mail. He needs to have his arrogance deflated on a daily basis so he knows that people are on to him.

• 48 EDP4BHO
        February 23, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Hey Jackie, fellow Pennsylvanian. I just left YT, watching the Philly Soul Train Line–yes, Philly broke the record, I guess you know :-D Anyhow, I am not yet on Twitter. I fear I may get too wrapped up in it. Chips already has me hooked here, so I need to take precautions. I am old enough to recall what you remember, as well, the distinguished news men and women, who gave you content, and not context. Those days are long gone, along with so many other gentler ways. Loved your crack about Gregory’s looks…LOL. If he wasn’t such a meathead, I would not laugh at his lack thereof, but he takes himself way too seriously. I am just watching for it all to back fire on him. Karma can be so damned slow, but she’s for real. He’s such a loser. I’d better get to bed, so a very peaceful night to all. And always say a prayer, or a thought, for PBO. I myself love him too much not to.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:41 am

Ed, I am the least technologically adept person you could meet, butI I find Twitter a useful tool for getting a point across quickly. I spend no more than a few minutes a day looking over the highlights on Twitter and either reply to something interesting, retweet something well stated, or write something less than 140 characters. I don’t think you’ll find it additive; I think you’ll find it less cumbersome for expressing your feelings than e-mail or letter writing. You’ve got nothing to lose by giving it a try.

• 50 HZ
        February 24, 2012 at 12:35 am

Jackie, I have been around the blocks as well, and I find it very difficult to watch and try to listen to David Gregory for the same reasons that you have so beautifully stated. I finally had to sit and write to David Gregory(maybe he read it, maybe not) a note expressing my disappointment in his reporting to the masses. I expressed to him my dissatisfactions about his partisan reporting, especially as it pretains to how President Barack Obama is governing.

I am a strong believer in that one must express the discomfort in how journalists want to parade around as a real journalist, when in reality he/she is nothing more than a hot headed opinionated gasbag spewing discord amongst the masses for the sake of trying to look good for the person delivering his or her pay check.

I believe deeply that David Gregory is not sincere in his so-called concern how this president is being treated. I believe that David Gregory is part of the problem in how President Obama is preceived on tv because of David Gregory’s own delivery in his reporting about President Obama.

So, I will concur with you and Ed, we need to express our dislike to these reporters, anchors, journalists of how we feel about how they are reporting about President Barack Obama. These impressions that the likes of David Gregory are certainly very much a negative and ugly part of the problem. Mr. Gregory needs to be told constantly about his report in regards to President Obama. Let him know.HZ

• February 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

HZ, every note we write, every tweet, every e-mail, every phone call makes a difference–like water on a rock. Eventually it becomes clear to even the dumbest of the tv boobs that people aren’t buying what they’re selling.

• February 24, 2012 at 1:54 am

I admit to being very disappointed with Gregory. Initially I thought he was a great choice after Russert but he has become so intensely partisan, it is painful to watch him fawning over his republican guests and treating democrats and the president with barely concealed animosity. For the first time in years, I have no desire to waste my Sunday morning on him, or CNN’s Candy Crowley. I preferred John King and still like Fareed Zakaria.

10. February 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm

The disconnect between the media narrative and what we see in these photos almost every day, is just amazing.

February 23, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Politicususa seems to be having problems again.

12. 68 Dakota
    February 23, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Did y’all hear about the hairdresser that called Gov.Suzanna Martinez’ office and cancelled her hair appointment because she’s against gay marriage? He’s openly gay and has done her hair several times. He said she’s against his equal rights so, she can find someone else to do her hair. Taking a stand, small as it may seem, adds up and helps us win this war against human rights.

13. February 23, 2012 at 10:37 pm

(CNN) — President Obama isn’t only in Florida to talk energy at the University of Miami. He’s here to line his campaign coffers with an additional $4 million.

After his 25-minute speech wrapped, the president headed off to the first of three fundraisers of the evening in this politically crucial state: a $1,000 per-person rally at Miami’s Biltmore Hotel, according to a Democratic official.

The event – which is expected to draw 450 people – will feature entertainment by R&B singer Deborah Cox. Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Florida Sen. Bill Nelson will also be in attendance.

Obama then heads to a more intimate setting – the home of Chris Korge, a prominent Miami lawyer who was formerly a big booster for Hillary Clinton’s 2008 bid. About 100 supporters are expected at that event, each of whom paid at least $15,000 to get in the door.

14. February 23, 2012 at 10:41 pm

President Obama’s reelection campaign will host a youth summit this weekend in Richmond, with a few big-name Virginia politicians on hand to lure a crowd.

Former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine (MARK GORMUS – AP)
    Former governor and Democratic National Committee chairman Timothy M. Kaine, now a candidate for Senate, will be present for the “Virginia Great Together Youth Summit,” which begins at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at 107 W. Broad Street. Also taking part will be ex-congressman Tom Perriello, who now heads the advocacy arm of the liberal think tank Center for American Progress, and former U.S. Chief Technology Officer Aneesh Chopra, who is expected to run for Virginia lieutenant governor.

Rounding out the lineup will be actors Hill Harper (of CSI: NY fame) and Rachael Leigh Cook.

15. February 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm
  16. February 23, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Not sure if this will go through…

17. February 23, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Okay Chips…thank you for the link to those other photos. This one of the South Lawn at sunset is staggeringly beautiful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/6893047989/in/photostream

18. February 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm

How Stupid and Desperate Are Republicans? Very: via TPM

“RNC Turns Obama Sings The Blues Clip Into Negative Ad (VIDEO)

The Republican National Committee has turned the clip of President Obama singing the blues hit “Sweet Home Chicago” into an attack web ad about gas prices. That is all.”

The video is at the link. Not gonna embed it here. More lies.

19. February 23, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Now here’s a Republican I wouldn’t mind voting for! (In the primaries, anyway…)

• 82 nospin
      February 24, 2012 at 11:18 am

this is a joke right?

I get that he is running for President but to suggest anyone would vote for him in the Primaries?

Why?

• February 24, 2012 at 11:28 am

Well,in Michigan you can vote in either primary. In fact, one Republican legislator invited Democrats to vote in the Republican primary. Several of my Dem friends are planning to do this to mix up the Repub. results and maybe try to take down Romney in Michigan. Several Repub. friends are not so eager to vote for either Romney or Santorum either. So here is a guy that maybe some folks will vote for as an ‘old school’ Republican. And it was a bit of a joke.

20. February 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Liberal Librarian: History question. I asked my uncle if he knew why his grandmother’s family came to America. He didn’t. So I checked the year and learned that they left Germany the same month that Kaiser Wilhelm I became Emperor. Did a lot of people leave Germany at that time, do you think? Or was it just a coincidence?

21. 89 Zekke LyDonna
    February 23, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I am still shaking my head, after last night’s debate. What a bunch of clueless morons.

Loved the President’s energy speech today.

I think it’s time for us to petition our President, to see if we can persuade him to make a speech on Women’s Rights and Women’s equality. That might put the final nail in the GOP coffin. It might also serve to get Congressional Republicans off their obstructionist asses, so we can get the Jobs Legislation passed.

This is turning out to be the ‘Year of the Woman’. Repugs and haters won’t want to be on the wrong side of that wrath.

February 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm

That would be wonderful if he gave a speech on women’s rights and equality. Perhaps he’s saving these for closer to the election when more people are paying attention.

22. 91 ber6964
    February 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm

The Clowns……………..Chips your Killing Me!!!!
    LMAO

23. February 23, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Bill Maher just donated one million to Obama. YES!

• February 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm

You mean the super PAC or was he kidding?

• 98 ber6964
      February 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm

He can’t buy his way into my good graces but ya for the Campaign!!

• 99 57andFemale
        February 24, 2012 at 1:01 am

Of course he infuriates me a lot. But it is just his irreverence that more often than not, he will say out loud what we’re thinking with no filter. And I cheer. PBO can’t talk that way and no one from progressive media does it. Bill Maher is the only one with a pretty large audience. I loathe his shortsightedness that he evidenced against the President, but he hates the bad guys more, and he says so, loud and proud.

If he is learning and appreciating what’s. At stake, I welcome his support.

• February 24, 2012 at 12:14 am

It’s pretty astonishing. Just imagine if most of the PL strolled out of fairydustland and joined us by standing up for PBO in this election.

• 102 cos
          February 24, 2012 at 12:19 am

Now when will MM realize that he is on the wrong side of the aisle. Speaking of MM, it was interesting to see him explain the demographics in MI on Rachel’s show. Of course he said that he stays in the Red part of MI whre the folks there will vote for Robney. That said it all for me.

• February 24, 2012 at 2:00 am

He would have had more cheers than jeers if he had remained steadfast to the president and trusted Obama to work for the people. Never forget him saying that the ‘magic is gone’. Does he think politics is Fantasyland at Disney. Grow up Bill but thanks for the money. When he said those about the president, it was the first time I ever tweeted anyone about being an ass….!

• 105 jeff
      February 24, 2012 at 4:29 am

I’m really not sure why so many on here dislike Maher so much. He’s a comedian and may not always like President Obama but he’s seen the alternative and he does like the many things that the president has done so far.

24. 106 Cheryllou
    February 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm

did Bill Maher really donated 1 million to Obama’s super Pac? it’s all over twitter.

25. 108 sabreen60
    February 24, 2012 at 12:01 am

All I have to do to put a smile on my face is listen to the President sing “Sweet Home Chicago” and “Lets Stay Together. Thank you Chips for placing the videos at the top of the page. :D :D :D

26. 109 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 24, 2012 at 12:08 am

Just to be crystal clear the gift the GOP has given the Republic during the past few weeks:

The choice is simple for each American – 1850 or 2013. Anyone wondering what it would have been like to be in those meetings with Jefferson, Franklin, etc …. in those years of agony with Lincoln …. Well YOU ARE LIVING THAT VERY MOMENT NOW.

Yes We Can … DO More Together

We MUST!

27. February 24, 2012 at 12:47 am

10:00 AM
    Obama receives the presidential daily briefing.
    10:30 AM
    Obama meets with senior advisors.
    11:00 AM
    Biden will join Jill Biden and Solis to deliver remarks at Davidson County Community College in Thomasville, North Carolina.
    11:15 AM
    Obama attends the Democratic Governors’ Association meeting.
    11:30 AM
    Josh Earnest briefs the press.
    3:00 PM
    Obama holds a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark.

28. February 24, 2012 at 12:58 am

May peace, love and abundant wisdom and favor be granted to POB and VP Biden as they travel through their day tomorrow with God’s grace.

Goodnight Chips and TOD Family. Again Chips, thanks so much for all that you do to support POB on this site. Now it is our responsibility to keep it safe, sound, and respectful as we gather here each day. I love you all so very much.

Love to Fred, Desertflower, BWD, and all of our TOD Family members whose lift may require our quiet, loving, and prayerful moments going up for each of them. Grace and peace to all of you.HZ

29. 117 JoJothecat
    February 24, 2012 at 1:03 am

Hello TOD Family…

I went to my first official OFA meeting to start volunteering. Tonight they showed us how to phone bank online and we did alittle tonight. Got mostly voice mail, folks were answering, I got two very enthusiastic folks are are ALL IN! But my last call was to a young woman who said she wasn’t sure it she was going to vote, she was disappointed in PBO over Wall Street, she didn’t get what she wanted after four years and wanted to send the President “a lesson” that maybe if it gets really bad people will stand behind OWS. I told her what the President was focused on getting the economy stable, getting healthcare through, working with a difficult congress, that he is not a dictator, that no one gets EVERYTHING they want, I finally got off the phone and she said she would keep an open mind. The team leader said that the college students are deflated and just not interested right now…I hope this is not an example of what’s out there as far as young voters. It was so different from last night with the older women…they seemed to have woke up.

• 118 PurpleShoesLA
      February 24, 2012 at 1:36 am

“maybe if it gets really bad people will stand behind OWS” ???!!! criminey! how much worse does it have to get for cripes sake? As a woman, isn’t she even remotely aware of what the GOP is doing to women’s health care and that they will ratchet that up to DefCon levels if they get the WH, the Senate and various state rep positions in 2012? Does she really want to sit through 4-8 years of that? How does she think people being subjected to the pain of more failed Repugnants policies is going to inspire people to rally behind OWS, a leaderless, rudderless “movement”. Wow, that kind of naive selfishness instant gratification mindset is just mind boggling. You have incredible patience JJ; bravo to you! Take comfort in that the pix from today at Univ of Miami show that not ALL college students are deflated.! Just the opposite.

• 119 JoJothecat
        February 24, 2012 at 1:49 am

I did PurpleshoesLA, it was a comfort to see that the young folks at UM came out in force for the president. It was just amazing that this young person could not think past her one time effort to vote into office the candidate they really wanted and had a lot of hope to make the world better in less than four years.

• February 24, 2012 at 1:55 am

Sounds like a libertarian!

• February 24, 2012 at 5:05 am

That’s the effect of the PL. They’ve gleefully and maliciously done a lot of damage for nothing other than page clicks and viewers; it’s not surprising that the least experienced and most impressionable people fell for these charlatans at HuffPo/DailyFox/etc. This is the effect of THREE YEARS of nonstop propaganda depicting POTUS as weak, a sell-out, with his accomplishments dismissed and weak areas highlighted without cease. And the miscreants most responsible for this narrative will be claiming to have been Obamabots all along when October 2012 rolls around.

That said, I think that the campaign can make a compelling case to reinvigorate the youth vote. But the challenges arising from what is nothing less than propaganda coming “from the left” can’t be dismissed and in my opinion, they’ve got to face the fact that some presumed allies have done nothing but spread this disappointment meme for their own purposes, and cannot be trusted to behave with integrity.

February 24, 2012 at 7:57 am

Well said gn! And unfortunately, the PL contingent includes people like Bill Maher, Michael Moore and John Stewart who’ve contributed to that misinformation and disinformation where our President is concerned. So yes, there is a reason why people on this blog have had misgivings about Maher, despite his recent change of heart and $1M donation to our President’s Super PAC.

I think as it gets closer to the election, many of these young people who are now on the fence or still influenced by that phony Ron Paul (legalize weed) schtick, will have no choice but to face reality and look at the election choices in front of them. When that young woman realizes that under “President Repub” she has to shell out $100’s of dollars for a 1-m supply of birth control because it’s not covered by insurance or that she has to lose her coverage under her parent’s insurance while she’s looking for work after graduation, and that OWS is not accomplishing ANYTHING on her behalf, she will get off that damn fence.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:38 am

Take heart. It’s still early days. People like the young woman you mentioned think a one-time vote with no follow up is all she needs to do as a citizen. It’s naive and not very smart. I think your team leader is making a pretty big generalization because there are a lot of energized young people especially as they learn more about alien Romney. Plus, there are a lot of young ones who weren’t 18 yet last time and are super anxious to vote this year. The campaign will heat up and the contrast with Romney will become stark. Keep the faith. For every young person who drops out, we’ll find two to take their place.

February 24, 2012 at 7:59 am

Jackie excellent comment. I wanted to say in my previous comment that I also tended to disagree with Jojo’s team leader about college students being deflated and not interested right now – perhaps in JoJo’s area, but not across the board. And it’s still a way off from the general election and college students tend to take interest in a shorter time span. In addition, the excitement and novelty of 2008 won’t be the same in 2012 to be sure, but it doesn’t mean that people no longer support our President. Just like the 2nd or 4th birthday of a child doesn’t garner the same excitement and euphoria as the day the child is born doesn’t imply that the child is less loved or that the parents want to replace that child!

• February 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

Great analogy! When you’re born you get printed up in the newspaper. When you’re 4 years old, you get a birthday cake. But the parents who oohed and aahed at the tiny newborn are completely, deeply, emotionally connected with their 4-year old.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:25 am

Thanks for volunteering, your efforts make a huge difference in this campaign. One of the things you will develop is phone bank “calluses” regarding disappointed voters. The fact that someone calls them, let them know about the President’s accomplishments and commitment will stay with her for days. After hearing this from others eventually the message will stick.

• February 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm

It’s sad to hear, but we’ll hear it a lot. I recommend challenging people to provide examples of when and where the tactic of making things bad enough that people get behind one fringe philosophy has ever brought about POSITIVE change in this country.

30. February 24, 2012 at 1:16 am

White House press secretary Jay Carney sparred Thursday with a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) over President Obama’s energy speech.

The quarrel on Twitter underscores the heightened tensions surrounding White House and GOP energy proposals amid rising gas prices. The tensions boiled over Thursday after Obama delivered a speech arguing that the GOP is using rising gas prices to score political points.

The Twitter fight started when Carney, who has more than 280,000 followers on the social networking site, linked to 2008 remarks by Boehner in which the then-minority leader touted an “all of the above” energy plan as a response to rising gas prices.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

All I can say, Jovie, is if Boehner is sparring with Jay Carney, Boehner is out of his league. Our so-called Speaker should know better than to take on someone smarter and faster than he is–especially when all he’s got is lies.

31. February 24, 2012 at 1:52 am

Feb. 24 (Bloomberg) — Japan’s yakuza organized-crime groups, having operated openly in their home country for more than a century, are facing tougher treatment by an overseas foe: the U.S. Obama administration.
    The largest of Japan’s yakuza organizations, the Yamaguchi- gumi, and two of its leaders will have their U.S. assets frozen and transactions barred under sanctions announced yesterday by the Treasury Department. The group earns “billions of dollars” a year from crimes in Japan and abroad, including drug and human trafficking, prostitution, money laundering and fraud, the department said in a statement.
    The U.S. move represents “a slap in the face of the Japanese government” for failing to rein in organized crime, said Jake Adelstein, a Tokyo-based writer who covers the yakuza.
    “The U.S. government feels that the Japanese government is very tolerant toward organized crime,” Adelstein said today by telephone. It’s telling Japanese authorities, “Start doing something about your problem,” he said.

Wow!

February 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

WOW! As I understand, the people of Japan live in fear of these guys……maybe they’ll start DOING something now!

32. 134 susanne
    February 24, 2012 at 4:22 am

sweet dreams, chips and toddies! thanks for all you’ve done today.

33. 135 xtine
    February 24, 2012 at 5:17 am

OMG, could my TeeVee have witnessed the mini-rise, final fall, and now the funeral procession of the “self-imported” Whigs? Couldn’t they have just kindly “self-deported” before traumatizing generations? Hey, Leroy could your buddies, Willard, Paul, Ricky join you at warp speed to that bridge to nowhere. The Outer Limits are off bounds.

Seriously, though [wink!], my TeeVee is in serious need of Voter Therapy!

Darn, TeeVee just heard me & pumped up the volume, and is now in triage. Code Blue! Tweety killed my TeeVee. Oh heck, Intervention: TeeVee’s relative, R’Mote, the one who just likes red buttons, sometimes green. Well, R’Mote just took over and is clicking those red/green buttons simultaneously. R’Mote just doesn’t know when to stop.

Hi my NOLA, I hear you do a mighty fine send off! TeeVee & R’Mote just didn’t make it. Bless! NOLAS, could you add Chuck, Dana, & Gregory to the pile? Might as well put FOX out of their misery while you’re at it.

Now, you do know, that TOD has plenty of material for the procession?! Thanks!

My Keyboard is now clicking: Voter Therapy in November!

PHEW! :)

I love that photo w/ the hands. How beautiful.

34. February 24, 2012 at 7:34 am

Good morning TOD Family. I have been up since 3:30 a.m. and have finally gotten caught up on all the threads from yesterday. Thank you chips for the pictures. I love seeing crowds love our President the way we do. I got a huge laugh from is that clip of the three stooges – Romney’s flailing arms, and Paul’s goofing fist pounding.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:47 am

Good Morning Jackie and everyone! I am off today. Spent the early morning watching the Sunrise and playing Frisbee with my dogs. I then came in and made a donation to re-elect the President. How did everyone start their day,?

• February 24, 2012 at 8:16 am

I got 2 shocks trying to replace a light bulb in Fl. rental. Finally figured out I had to replace the bad lamp with another after blowing fuse twice. Then I continued to try to find out if what my 94 yr. old mom wrote in a journal I read yesterday had any authenticity. She wrote that Eleanor Roosevelt visited the one room school where she first taught in rural Iowa. Mom, is this true? She swore it was. Why wouldn’t you have mentioned that somewhere along the way? It’s a biggie. No credible answer. So far, I cannot confirm, but I did see that rural schools were one of Eleanor’s causes, and she did visit such schools in Iowa. Then I saw that Bill Maher gave a million bucks to help Obama’s super-pac fight back against the barrage of “evil Satan” ads that await, and I was thankful. Then I saw it’s snowing back home in Illinois, and i was happy I am in sunny, warm Florida for one more ‘escape reality’ week.

• 139 susanne
        February 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm

sipping some iced green tea on my lanai, watching the birds visit the flowers–aloha all you chipsters!

35. February 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

NATO has a Summit in Msy in Chicago. If these riots continue up until that time, maybe the President might want to pull our Troops out of there and just run Couter terrorism Sorties from The Aircraft Carrier.
    This is Ridiculous.