Feb

evening all

Irish TV, February 24

President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark talk at the end of their bilateral meeting in the Oval Office, Feb. 24, 2012. Pictured, from left, are: Christian Kettel Thomsen, Permanent Secretary of State; Peter Taksoe-Jensen, Ambassador of Denmark to the United States; Liz Sherwood-Randall, Senior Director for European Affairs; and Bill Moeller, Director for Central European Affairs. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Link

The Guardian: Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney’s much-heralded economic speech flopped Friday, overshadowed by a gaffe over luxury Cadillacs and his choice of an over-ambitious venue….

Romney opened himself up to derision for choosing a 70,000-seat stadium which attracted just over 1,000 people, many of them school children bussed in to help fill out the crowd, tucked into a corner of the astro-turf pitch….

The speech too turned out to be a flop …. It will be the picture of the near-empty stadium, contrasting with a much fuller one when Barack Obama was campaigning in February 2008, that will be remembered.

…. his words echoed round the empty stadium seats. He was not helped by the near-silence, winning only an occasional round of applause. At one point, having made a joke about the reluctance of children to leave home, only a handful of people in the audience laughed, an embarrassing response that the empty stadium amplified.

… In an attempt to ingratiate himself in the motor capital of America and undo some of the damage caused by a call in 2008 to let the car industry go bankrupt rather than be bailed out by the federal government, he listed cars owned by himself and his wife Ann.

He would be a president who loves cars, he said. “I like the fact that most of the cars I see are Detroit-made automobiles. I drive a Mustang and a Chevy pick-up truck. Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually. And I used to have a Dodge truck, so I used to have all three covered.” …. It is a mistake on par with his $10,000 bet in a televised debate with Texas governor Rick Perry.

Full article here

Steve Benen

Steve Benen: Paul Krugman argued today that Mitt Romney “is running a campaign of almost pathological dishonesty.” That need not be considered hyperbole.

Indeed, Greg Sargent added this morning that Romney’s “falsehoods and all around dissembling” may be designed to “simply wear reporters and commentators down by trafficking in them so heavily that they throw up their hands and give up on trying to track or debunk them.”

But I remain undeterred…..

Full post here

The Week

Nick Anderson

Thanks Linda

Front page ad on the Detroit Free Press website today

How smart is that? ;-)

211 Responses to “evening all”

1. 1 Dudette
    February 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Love Him!!!

2. 6 symmetry11
    February 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Good evening all

3. 12 Dudette
    February 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Ha ha! First! Woooot!! Take that Tally, with your auto-subscription doodad thingy! :-)

February 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yet the Detroit Free Press ENDORSES Mitt Romney? WTH! Bet THEIR cred just went down a few notches!

February 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hahahahahahaha. That wide view of Romney’s “packed” event cracks me the hell up. This moron can’t resist the foot in mouth disease.

Oh snap! Genius OFA team. Putting that ad front and center in the Detroit Free Press. Huge WIN!

6. 33 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Yet another outstanding essay by Deaniac at TPV!

#PRESSON

7. 34 defytheodds
    February 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm

photo/1

New movie starts today—Tyler Perry and Gabrielle Union are big supporters of PBO

Dudette congratulations for being 1st

• 35 Dudette
      February 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Thanks dto. I’m going to see the movie tonight!

• 36 defytheodds
      February 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm

GOOD DEEDS opens… Friday February 24th, everywhere. It’s the opening weekend box office numbers that count in Hollywood. That is how they judge you, so if you can make it to the theaters this weekend, please do so. I never ever take for granted that you are automatically going to show up, but I tell you, I thank God that you do. I’m hoping that this time is no different….
      Love you and know that I appreciate you so much,
      Tyler

• February 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I want to see Good Deeds so badly! It looks like such a cute feel good romantic comedy!

• 42 GGail
      February 25, 2012 at 12:11 am

I saw Good Deeds tonight with two of my girlfriends and it is a good movie. I hope y’all will support TP because you will see a side of him like never before. He’s even a little sexy – hubba hubba. But seriously, the whole movie is wonderful with a message – of course.

Congratulations Dudette on getting to the top First!

• 43 MB32
      February 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I saw it last night. Really liked it but my goodness the folks in the theater were loud and drunk. One of my friends picked up tickets for all of us at the Icon in the VIP section and they serve alcohol up there. Lord, some people should’ve just said no! lol Talking loud and signifying during the whole movie. And then the people on my row kept getting up and walking out…multiple times…to get more drinks…smh

I gotta say that Tyler Perry has made a lot of folks here on the South Side of Chicago happy. He donated $98,000 to a local pastor who has been up on the roof of an abandoned motel for 3 months. It was for a good cause to buy the motel, clear up the crime and create opportunities for people in the neighborhood to help them realize their dreams. My pastor spent time with him on the roof and he’d announced on Wed that we were gonna go over and help Corey Brooks raise more money to get him down. So when I heard the TJMS show Friday morning with Perry’s announcement, I was so excited.

I know some people don’t like Perry’s movies because they’re not “high-brow” enough but when he does Good Deeds like that and some of the many other things he’s done for the community, I appreciate him all the more. And I will always go support his movies. I think he gets better with each one.

8. February 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm

LOL @ Dudette @ doodad thingy

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 45 Dudette
      February 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Hey there Kasai, our dear “Artist Laureate”! Thanks!

If I wasn’t such a broke heiffer, I’d be buy out a gallery full of your gorgeous work. When my ship comes in, you just wait… :-)

February 24, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I promise you, when my husband gets a job….your beautiful art is DEFINITELY on my list :) I can’t get my artistic daughter to create a masterpiece for her Mama….though she DID paint and incredible picture of PBO. It’s hanging proudly!

• February 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Desertflower..My prayers are with you and your husband…hoping he gets a job sooner than later….
        I am optimistic that..better day are just around the corner….Glad to know your daughter is an artist…how cool is that :-)

February 24, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Who had the info a while back about the proper way to address a former govt official? I thought it was Tally…so Tally if you’re here and you still have that link, may I have it??? Thank you :)

February 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Good on Martin Sheen for recognizing a true leader. He’s been consistent in his support of PBO since 2008 and it’s refreshing to see that he’s going to work just as hard as he did in 2008 to make sure PBO is re-elected. I saw his appearance on Piers Morgan last year and he was as effusive in his praise of PBO as he was virulent in his disgust at the GOP and the teabaggers.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

He’s a good guy. I happened to watch a recent show where he was searching for his ancestors and it was fascinating. Of course, he was tremendous in West Wing. Loved that show. I saw it via Netflix and would watch 3 – 4 episodes at a time and I sweat so many episodes just put a lump in your throat. I’m watching The Wire right now for the first time. Whew!!

• February 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Immature Damon could take some pointers from Martin and stop whining.

February 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Just a gentle heads up in case anyone might be interested (and in a good mood). Rick Santorum is giving his grand economic speech in Lincoln Park, MI detailing his “first 100 days” in office (the delusional thinking…). It starts at 8PM ET, and is being aired live on CSPAN. I

12. 61 PurpleShoesLA
    February 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Every bi-lateral meeting clip here at TOD, I watch I am amazed, proud and grateful that PBO is our CIC. The calm and respectful demeanor he exudes with each visiting dignitary is something to behold. I watched the clip above in awe as he spoke extemporaneously for over 6 minutes, no notes, and clearly and concisely relayed what he and the Prime Minister from Denmark discussed and then closed with a little smile and talked about what they both have in common, their daughters. The possibility of seeing Frothy/Mittens/Fig Newton in that chair in 2012 makes me violently ill AND Fired up; which is a good thing as I head out to volunteer tonight. Have good night all. Obama/Biden 2012!

• 62 theo67
      February 24, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I’m always thoroughly impressed with the President during those bilateral meetings. He is able to articulate the discussions so concisely and with such structure – it’s amazing. He’s amazing.

13. February 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Watch ESPN. Arnie Ducan is kicking a little ass in the NBA Celeb game. He has gained 15 points in the first half and can run the court. He is having an MVP Game. It is the half right now. We are on our way out to dinner so I will check back later.

• 64 L3
      February 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Kevin Hart was named MVP officially; but, unofficially he said he’d share the honor with Arne Duncan who also played really well.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I hope this Rep. Yasmin Neal gets lots of co-sponsors and ties up debate in the Georgia House til doomsday. This is what we need–more women fighting back and underscoring the absurdity of men with no medical training making health decisions about women’s reproductive organs.

14. 67 defytheodds
    February 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Willard’s former tormented-pooch “Seamus” must be laughing his tail-off at an empty-stadium, 2 Cadillacs statement & all the other screw-ups by Willard… Thanks, Seamus! :)

February 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Is Nate Silver a Romney supporter? Based on his tweets, I’m beginning to think he is. He has been tweeting breathlessly about Romney’s coming from behind to now take the lead in Michigan primary. During the CNN debate, he gave Romney a B+ and tends to underplay any fixed advantage (e.g., the audience during debates, the amount of $$$ and time spent ) that Romney has relative to his other opponents. Now I notice that he hasn’t tweeted a single thing since Romney held that dreadful economic speech earlier today.

16. 75 defytheodds
    February 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

This is funny.

17. February 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Do you guys feel like I do, that the Pro-left finally got it to their collective mind that it’s time to end the games and get behind this man?

• 91 theo67
      February 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I’m hoping that’s true. There’s just still too long before the General Election starts – anything can happen. When we start hearing from the left that they realize what a gem the President is, and talking about his accomplishments not just to compare him to the Republican crazies, but to actually appreciate his efforts – then I’ll believe it.

February 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm

For the most part yes, but I don’t know about the die-hard PLers like Hamsher, MMFlint, Greenwald, etc.. We will see.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hamsher and Greenwald and their followers were never on our side. Moore probably voted for PBO, but the rest of them didn’t.

But overall I hear far less whining from the pro-left lately.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

oh thank the lord i am up to here with whining. gosh i hope that’s true BWD

February 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Yes. And ironically, I think they gained a little more respect if nothing else for PBO, his approach to getting things done and his exceptional organizing team when their beloved OWS didn’t accomplish the massive change on Wall St that they claimed it would, nor did it maintain the momentum that it had in the first couple months.

• 96 aristac
      February 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Don’t know, quite frankly i wish they would all dissappear. They are the most useless bunch. They all need to read up on how to get things done.

February 24, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I don’t know if I believe that they finally got anything in to their collective minds, but I DO think that they are beginning to realize what the unadulterated crazy from the other side would actually mean. They will resume their idiocy when PBO gets reelected.

• 98 57andFemale
      February 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Yes I do. The real craziest like fdl and gt are irredeemable, but it feels like a lot are ‘getting it’ and getting it enthusiastically. They are finally getting who the enemy is, and it’s not PBO.

I wonder if seeing their reflection in Republicans’ eyes hasn’t helped.

• 99 57andFemale
        February 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm

“I hate these tiny keyboards! “Crazies” and “gg”

• February 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I know people don’t like to link to Daily Kos, but i just found this on twitter and it is amazing. This is so powerful and moving. Intense. It just hits you all at once: how far we’ve come and how much our president has accomplished. I know we say that over and over again, but this has a visceral impact. It affected me that way anyway.

February 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Indeed an amazing diary – very moving and inspiring and fantastic comments!!! …and here’s a comment from that said diary:

// Makes me miss BlackWaterDog! (18+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:MidwestTreeHugger, Onomastic, bosdcla14, Dvalkure, rubyr, TenthMuse, jfromga, JoanMar, UtopianPablo, radarlady, COwoman, HappyinNM, collardgreens, Fonsia, fcvaguy, hopeful human, BlueOak, Hopefruit2
          Great photo diary. Great collection of factoid screen-shots.

by leftykook on Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 11:22:44 AM PST //

• 102 susanne
          February 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

wow–this is a fascinating recap of recent events. it’s hard to believe we all just experienced this magnitude of news, but simply incredible when you think what it must have been like for pbo, and all those doing the work behind the scenes.

todistas, this is a long piece, but you’ll be glad you gave it a look.

• February 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Maryl1, thank you for linking this since I would never have checked DK. This is a truly magnificent piece of work by Al Rodgers that deserves to be widely seen and appreciated.

• 104 JoJothecat
          February 24, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Thanks Maryl1 for linking it and I also saw the comment that they miss BWD. Also I did not see the nasty comments that follow the positive Obama diaries at that place…maybe the trolls found a better home at Red State or Politico.

• February 24, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Thank you so much, Maryl1, I’ve always loved Al Rodgers’ photo diaries — as I loved blackwaterdog’s. This was a stupendous one, beautiful, intricate, and devoted. I’m saving it and will read it again and again.

My love to you as well as Al Rodgers. I’ll write him separately.

• 106 Betsy
          February 24, 2012 at 11:57 pm

These words sent a chill down my spine.

We are at the midway point; it is half-time in America; we are at a crossroads.
          We can continue the path towards enlightenment or we can return to the dark ages where women have to wear chastity belts under President Santorum.

In President Santorum’s America women would be forced into back-ally abortions, contraception and prenatal care would be banned, Planned Parenthood would be padlocked, women wouldn’t be allowed to work or serve their country, gays in the military would be forced back into the closet, same-sex marriages would be voided, Terri Schiavo’s husband would be imprisoned, collective bargaining would become illegal, evolution would be outlawed, schoolchildren would be indoctrinated in creationism, Medicare would be privatized, education would be defunded, Keystone tar would irreparably damage the planet, and trillions would be wasted on an unwinable war with Iran.

America is a better and freer nation than Rick Santorum thinks.

But in the end, it’s all up to you. As Howard Dean told us, only you have the power to win the future.

• 110 Jenny
          February 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

BREATHTAKING!

Al was always the best GOS had to offer. A giant among trolls.

• February 25, 2012 at 2:45 am

You are right. It’s a great piece.

• 112 Mary Gray
          February 25, 2012 at 8:26 am

So awesome. Don’t do DKOS ,but maybe should return to gab such delights as this. This is required reading!

• 113 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      February 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Yes, bwd, many are. The grifters never will but we have them so out numbered they have no chance of any real influence. My hope is we can prevent the naive from their grifting, but that’s a tiny issue compared to the fact that they will have zero sway regarding the massive support of our President and outstanding Democrats.

#LandslideOBAMA2012

#LandslideDEMS2012

Yes WE MUST

• February 24, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Yep…The remained silent. On all the hoopla about XL Keytstone Pipe…Housing crises..
      I let Michael Flint and Van Jones have it…every time PBO was winning Michael Flint keeps tweetting “Bow Down OW..we did it.
      I tweeted him and Van Jones,,,because they were so quick to take credit…Yet they remained silent when OW threw a smoke bomb at the white house…I was disgusted. Also Van Jones wrote an Op-Ed at HuffPO, based on rumors about the housing crisis…with his “PBO Must do this and that”…..I pretty much told him to suck it…journalism is about facts…and not Rumors…Then when PBO release his 260Bil housing relief..and found out that Scott Walker was using it to balance his budget…I tweet both of them…asking why aren’t they occupying Scott Walker’s office for stealing….They still silent….Amazing isn’t it?
      So that you know every time MMFlint or Van Jones tweet about PBO not doing what they want…I have my list ready to go!!!

• February 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

They are certainly a lot less quiet these days.

• 117 Betsy
      February 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm

That’s what I thought BWD when I watched Bill Maher and saw he donated 1 million dollars to Priorities USA and told others to do the same. I think the chickens are coming home to roost. They realize how bat shit crazy the GOP candidates are and how reasonable PBO is and have decided to vote for him. I’m mad they couldn’t support him, but glad they’re coming round. The only holdouts are Jane Hamsher and GG as I haven’t heard anything about them supporting PBO, and I don’t know what Michael Moore said on Maddow the other night, or if he was still bashing PBO.

• 118 yardarm756
        February 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Hmmm. Seems like Rev. Wright said something about something coming home to roost. Fancy that!

• February 25, 2012 at 3:02 am

he was surprisingly open. I almost thought he liked Obama again. But there is a part of me thinking cynically that it was more of a statement saying he definitely didn’t like Romney. Next time Michael Moore might learn to use the power of his voice more effectively to support change than bite the hand that brought change however small, to the White House.

18. 120 Marlz (@marjgra)
    February 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Love me some Martin Sheen!
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you Ms. Chips for posting.

19. 121 Melanie
    February 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Enjoyed reading this article from Rev. Eugene Cho who had a chance to meet POTUS last week out west. The most striking part of the story is where he recounts the Pres. asking him to pray for Michelle, Sasha and Malia and their protection. It’s something so many of us think about often but I’m sure he thinks about all the time. Imagine carrying that weight.

• 122 Cathy from MN
      February 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Thank you for sharing; what a nice view into the President’s wonderfully human side and true love of his family.

February 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I hope all of us who love this President and his family will pray for them.

• 124 JoJothecat
      February 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Thank you for sharing this, it’s what I love about this place…I learn so much and reminds us what pastor Cho has so beautifully expressed:

“Agree or disagree. Like or dislike. Republican or Democrat. Tea Party or Coffee Party. It doesn’t matter. Lift a prayer for President Obama and his family. Lift a prayer for this fellow brother-in-Christ. Pray for strength, conviction and courage. Pray for safety and peace”.

February 24, 2012 at 10:46 pm

JoJothecat, we see the right who claim to have so much religion, they will not pray for this President. And I don’t want them too. I want those who truly know who Jesus Christ is to pray for our President and his family, we Americans and this country.

February 24, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Santorum is not a religious man, if he was he wouldn’t be able to lie so easy. Just like Paul said SAntorum is a fake.

• 127 cos
            February 24, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Anniebella, Martin Bashir commented on this yesterday. I just recently starting watching Martin’s show. I am hooked and I now record it everyday. :)

• 128 cos
      February 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Melanie this is a very good read. Thanks for sharing.

20. 133 defytheodds
    February 24, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Maine Democrats will caucus on February 26th

This coming Sunday, Maine’s Democrats will caucus to decide everything from town committee chairperson to the president of the United States.

While the top of the ticket may be uncontested in 2012, there is still plenty of reason for the party faithful to show up and caucus, said local town committee leaders.

Maine is a caucus state, which means that registered members of a political party gather to select candidates for office and consider policy.

To be decided at the caucus are town committee officers and delegates to the state convention. At the federal level, there are five candidates vying to run against Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, in the fall.

Times and Locations: http://mainedems.org/caucus.html

21. 134 CTGirl
    February 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Love Martin Sheen! “Yes, he is ready!”. We knowv POTUS is ready to go! :-)

February 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm

This is the idiot Teabagger running for Gabby Gifford’s seat….stupid abounds!

23. 136 Cathy from MN
    February 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm

The Moveon.org Auto Industry ad is spectacular! I love that her grandad worked for Chrysler for 42 yrs…. I hope this ad gets run over and over again!

• 138 Cathy from MN
      February 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

When will we get people to wake up to the moral issue with these run-on attacks on those in the lower income levels….Why is this Ok?

24. 139 yardarm756
    February 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Oh hell yes. Spank the monkey and keel haul the whale blubber.

25. February 24, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Is that Houston Chronicle cartoon a spoof of the Beetle Juice ‘lost souls room’ Barbara and Adam are shown…or something else?!?

26. 143 yardarm756
    February 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm

let’s hear it for Santorum. Our potential foreign policy expert. I don’t think Jesus would have made him a disciple. PIG!

February 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I tried to listen to his silly “100 days” economic speech but couldn’t make it past 10 mins into the speech.

27. 145 defytheodds
    February 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I think on Rachel it was pointed out that Willard is hiding his BMW…

He was at Ford bragging about his Caddies…

And one of his Caddies is at his mansion in MA & the other is at his mansion in CA…
    I’m sure the red sates can related to that Willard. Wow this guy is unbelievable

How many homes and home states does Willard have? Maybe 4 or 5 different homes / in 5 home states: CA, UT, MA, MI, NH?
    Did I miss any?

28. February 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Hey everyone – needs some special help here – especially if you’re on TWITTER, and FB – even if you’re not in CA – please share this as far as you can. It means a lot – a friend’s daughter has gone missing. Thanks.

29. 158 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 24, 2012 at 9:38 pm

We are going to get this done, BIG TIME, TOD.

#PRESSON

30. February 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Lawsuit claims Obama can’t be president because he’s ‘mulatto’
    By Clutch Magazine
    4:43 PM on 02/23/2012
    by Britni Danielle

If we thought President Obama silenced all the birthers by releasing his long form birth certificate last year, think again. Apparently, some folks still have doubts and are taking it one step further: to court.

Tuesday, Gordon Warren Epperly filed a lawsuit in Alaska challenging President Obama’s inclusion on the 2012 presidential ballot. What’s Epperly’s beef? Apparently, he feels Negroes and mulattoes can’t be president because they aren’t really citizens.

His lawsuit states:

Barack Hussein Obama II, a.k.a. Barack Hussein Obama, a.ka. Barack H. Obama has the race status of being a “mulatto.” Barack Obama’s father (Barack Hussein Obama I) was a full blood Negro being born Nyang’oma Kogelo, Nyanza Province, Kenya and raised in the Colony of Kenya. Barack Obama’s mother (Stanley Ann Dunham) was a white Caucasian woman being born in Wichita, Kansas on November 29, 1942 and raised in the state of Washington and in the state of Hawaii.

February 24, 2012 at 10:56 pm

rikyrah, the only way I can explain it is these people are sick, they need prayer also.

• 162 EDP4BHO
      February 24, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I love this comment on the article:

“That’s one of the things that I love so much about 44, that he was the only dude to cause so much of Anglo-Saxon Amerika to have a collective mental break with reality. I mean dude had to think long and hard on this line of reasoning. That is one of the reasons why I support his re-election. If he can do this with one term, the Anglo-Saxon will really go bat shiite crazy if he gets two”.

• February 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Well, Jill Scott said it best.

You know, personally, I’m glad at least one is at this stage. The REAL reason they believe Barack Obama or any other free man of color cannot be President of the United States of America. Sunshine is the best disinfectant and I just remember what Maya Angelou said in 2008.

31. 166 Lorraine
    February 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I’ve always adore Martin Sheen; he is a National Treasure.

32. February 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm

OMG — looking at that clip of Willard echoing in Detroit today — was EVERYBODY told to wear the same color? It seems like every single person is sitting there in various shades of grey. Drab and creepy! Just like Willard. :shock:

33. February 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Our President is respected all around the world.Now it’s our turn to give him his props.He’s our political Rocky.”Go Baracky!”LOL

34. 172 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    February 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Some reflections:

And then there’s the slaughter of countless Syrians … we have so many reasons to do everything possible to have President Obama as our President during the next 5 years.

Back with all of you sometime on Saturday.

#PRESSON

35. 173 EDP4BHO
    February 24, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Good nite TOD.

36. February 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

willard’s words trippin’ over each other.

Sure fire indication that the mofo is lying. The worst phony ‘candidate’ evah.

37. February 24, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I just watched a debate between Gov O’Malley of Maryland and Gov McDonnell of Virginia on CSpan. O’Malley was wonderful. He spanked McDonnell with the facts about the Obama administration and what our President has actully done in turning around the country. As usual McDonnell hit every Republican talking point to which O’Malley deftly knocked them all down. I highly recommend you watch this if you get the opportunity. O’Malley navigated through the Democratic agenda beautifully. He made my day.

38. February 24, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share a quote i remember reading from Ralph Waldo Emerson that i think sums PBO up completely:

“To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch…to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!”

I think Emerson knew something even way back when! ;)

39. February 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Just listened to the Michael Higgins clip – Wow! No hair on his tongue! You go, sir!!

40. 189 SueBee
    February 25, 2012 at 12:21 am

This is the Governor O’Malley video..sorry if its a repeat..he had Gov Vaginal Probe squirming in his seat

• 190 Ladyhawke
      February 25, 2012 at 12:50 am

Thanks so much for posting this video. I can barely contain myself. Governor O’Malley was spectacular. First and foremost, this video needs to be studied by every Democrat in the congress. This is how it’s done. It is remarkable the amount of facts that Governor O’Malley ticked off in about 5 minutes. He had the facts and he stayed on message.

Note: I found it fascinating to watch Bob McDonnell’s body language while Governor O’Malley was giving the audience the 411. He was definitely squirming and very uncomfortable. But John Harris also looked uncomfortable and nervous. Poor John, the media firewall was severely compromised because the facts got out. Oh dear……

• 191 susanne
      February 25, 2012 at 4:53 am

wow–what fun! gov o’malley made a rational, yet fervent case for pbo’s re-election. the man was prepared, lucid, respectful, and grabbing the moment to preach!

• 192 utaustinliberal
      February 25, 2012 at 6:19 am

Thanks so much for the link Sue Bee. Just finished watching the full Q & A session and it is a must watch for every Democratic leader and every citizen and political junkie. Everytime I watch Gov. O’Malley I fall more in love with him. With his magnificent brain and his retention of a plethora of facts. He’s the epitome of speaking softly yet carrying a big stick. He knocked McDonnell’s opinions – they sure as hell weren’t facts – to the way side. Crushed his lies into dust. Watching McDonnell’s and John Harris’s body language during O’Malley’s fact driven responses was hilarious. They were so uncomfortable at the idea that the audience was being allowed to hear truth and not bunk.

Democrats in leadership and power should take a lesson from Gov. O’Malley and stop being shy about lauding PBO’s praises, his accomplishments, and their accomplishments. It’s time to step up and take a stand. You’re either IN or you’re OUT. There can’t be anymore wishy washy BS. This is 2012. A President with long political coattails is an advantage to all Democrats down the ballot and they’d better wise up to that fact.

February 25, 2012 at 12:53 am

Maybe someone can Tweet this to the media…..they shouldn’t be saying “Gov” Romney or “Speaker” Gingrich….

There can be only one of those in office, and it is in poor manners to call them that now.

• February 25, 2012 at 5:46 am

Meanwhile, they refuse to address the one who IS in office by his title. sigh

• 195 57andFemale
      February 25, 2012 at 8:11 am

I believe that is the proper protocol. However I seem to remember that ‘former’ used to used when referring in the third person and you only referred to the title when addressing them in person. Of course I could be wrong.

42. February 25, 2012 at 1:08 am

Hi to the TOD family. I know there’s a thing about linking to DKOs, but OMG is this diary hilarious. It’s a caption contest of the picture of Mittens standing at the podium in the empty Fords Field. I’m still ROTFLMAO and I haven’t gotten half way through the comments yet.

• 197 lovingandlaughing
      February 25, 2012 at 8:13 am

Oh for Pete’s sake, those are hilarious!

• 198 57andFemale
      February 25, 2012 at 8:18 am

They’ve been much better lately and most are coming home. I hadn’t gone there in months and months but wandered over there on election days because I like their live blogs. Much less crazy and I admit I do like one-topic diaries on policy and issues.

February 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

Yes I’ve noticed a calming down of sorts lately. The hair-on-fire diaries are considerably few and far between, and the positive diaries are not treated with hostility and sarcasm as they once were. I hope it remains that way through Nov 2012 and beyond!

• 200 57andFemale
          February 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

I think they are coming home. At least it is clear that they are finally understanding who the enemy is, and it is not PBO. At first I would only read the diary that interested me and stayed away from the comments. But increasingly the comments are sane and most important, supportive of PBO and enthusiastic. Are there criticisms? Yes. I’ve never been against reasonable discussions as long as the line was clear that damage to this president did damage to the country and progressive causes. Republicans are the enemy and they seem to finally get that at dkos.

We need every vote so i swallow my anger and disgust from a few years back and welcome them. If a number of them finally realize what this president has been up against, I’m thrilled.

February 25, 2012 at 1:19 am

Just came across this again and thought it was worth sharing….. hypocrisy at its finest.

February 25, 2012 at 1:47 am

This study, however, did not consider whether negative feelings toward white immigrants would also lead to a preference for less immigration. It could still be the fact that the American public dislikes immigration because they have a generalized animus toward all immigrants. To test this proposition, political scientists at the University of Michigan (Brader, Valentino, and Suhay 2008) conducted a study where survey respondents were asked about immigration in the context of a story that either featured José Sanchez or Nikolai Vandinsky. The researchers found that negative feelings about immigration grew when the immigrant group in question was Mexican rather than Russian.

• February 25, 2012 at 9:06 am

Good point – perhaps I should just try it.

After all, for the first time in 30 years it actually makes economic sense to migrate to the US of A from Europe.
      :-)

45. 204 AnitaW
    February 25, 2012 at 2:54 am

Late to the party, but loved the Michael Higgins clip and Martin Sheen has always been a favorite.

46. 205 susanne
    February 25, 2012 at 5:02 am

okay, i’m turning out the lights. sweet dreams chips and toddies.

47. February 25, 2012 at 8:26 am

Meagan McCain, Again? Really?

February 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

I don’t get that either. Besides the fact that she’s John McCain’s daughter and has a column (which she probably got by virtue of her pedigree), what is her qualification for giving TV appearances as a political analyst? Any one of us on this blog can call ourselves “expert analysts” if that’s the case!

February 25, 2012 at 8:40 am

Morning, Hf. Haven’t you seen the evidence over the years? Living in the house of a well-known politician or journalist are the only creds needed to qualify you as a savvy analyst/reporter/pundit. Your own personal skill level hardly matters – a moment’s pause could provide a lllooong lists of such ‘expert analysts’ …who bring such ‘confidence’ and insight to their expert musings! :roll:

February 25, 2012 at 8:46 am

Pardon my ignorance, but do these visiting “experts” (like M. McCain) get paid for each sharing of their opinion, informed or otherwise?

49. February 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

Bob Herbert, again? Really?

His guests are the absolute worst!