Mar

afternoon all

Supporters of President Obama stand outside a campaign stop by Mitt Romney in Youngstown, Ohio, March 5

“Autoworkers can’t trust Romney”, Youngstown, Ohio

Text of remarks

President Barack Obama meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, March, 5, in the Oval Office

David Firestone (NYT): Iran represents one of the world’s most grave foreign policy challenges, but don’t look for much gravity in the speeches to American Israel Public Affairs Committee this week by the top three Republican presidential candidates. There will be plenty of empty fist-shaking and ridicule of President Obama at the pro-Israel lobbying group, but not a single new thought for preventing Iran from developing a nuclear weapon.

…. Romney, Santorum and Gingrich have consistently been at their most dangerous when discussing the Middle East, combining a simplistic bellicosity toward the Islamic world with a reflexive agreement with the Israeli right….

….. On Sunday, in his speech to Aipac, Mr. Obama made clear that he will not accept a nuclear-armed Iran, and is prepared to use military force to prevent it if necessary. But he said he prefers the route of diplomacy, and regrets the “loose talk of war”…

….Mr. Santorum bizarrely suggested recently that the Obama administration is helping Iran develop a weapon by leaking Israel’s plans for an attack … The administration would rather let Iran go nuclear than give up its oil, he charged.

That’s too ridiculous to even bother refuting, but it’s hardly out of line with a Republican field that has responded to the globe’s most serious issues with precarious posturing.

Full post here

Don’t miss:

SmartyPants

Thanks VC

Well…. the camera never lies:

Miamisburg, Ohio, March 5

214 Responses to “afternoon all”

1. 15 nintendowii10
    March 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Hello!

2. 17 Judith Fardig
    March 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

GoBAMA!!

3. 18 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’M LOVIN’ ALL THOSE ‘O’ SIGNS!

4. 22 CTGirl
    March 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Bibi is not happy :-) Well, that could mean the meeting went very well :-)

• March 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’m sure the President reminded PM Netanyahu just who doles out the foreign aid and gives diplomatic cover in this relationship.

March 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I hope PBO did, and I hope he did it in true PBO style – blunt, truthful, calm, and eye t- eye! Netanyahu’s effrontery last time in seeking to undermine my President in his own house REALLY, REALLY annoyed me; you can have NO idea how much!!!!

• 25 utaustinliberal
        March 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Exactly. They’re dependent on OUR foreign aid, OUR national security, OUR friendship.

• March 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. I am sure he came to DC figuring he had PBO in a corner. Looks like he is the one up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

March 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

And he has every reason not be. The American people support PBO’s idea of diplomacy.

• 28 CTGirl
        March 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm

There is war fatigue not only in America but globally. We need to try something else and diplomacy is the sane start?

• March 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Agree CT. I just don’t understand why the GOP and their hapless candidates think launching another war is a winning position. Most people I know are tired of war and will be thrilled to finally bring the troops home from Afghanistan. They’re also not happy about spending another fortune to fight a war when we’re in the midst of a recovery. Romney, Santorum and Gingrich are acting like irresponsible twits with all their hotdogging about war and everything out of their mouths is a lie. Why would anyone want a hair-trigger, unthinking, reactive leader of the world’s biggest military when you can have a calm president and CIC who keeps his head and does what is necessary to protect the American people and its allies without acting like a hair-on-fire crazy person.

• 30 TrumpDog
            March 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

McCain wants us to bomb Syria.

A reminder that we really dodged a bullet with McCain losing the presidential election.

March 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

‘I just don’t understand why the GOP and their hapless candidates think launching another war is a winning position’

JG. it is a winning position to them! What I understand is that they have nothing else to offer. It’s clear they have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA or plans re nation building, not one. Look at how long it has taken them to come up with a real health care alternative, or job creation bills, or anything that is productive!

The current GOP lacks insight. They CANNOT LEAD, BUT THEY ARE EXPERT DEMAGOGUES! Doesn’t the deficit always go up under their reign and their friends’ taxes go down? War shifts the focus from them and keeps the mind of the plebs occupied. In a war these so called leaders can keep pointing attention away from their ineptitude, much like they do when they point blame at ‘foreigners’, ‘illegals’, ‘coloureds’, ‘blacks, etc for taking jobs, or whatever. Plus their buddies generally benefit from war spending.

I don’t think GOPers countenance war with any values in mind. Remember Willard’s sons were too good to go to war? I doubt McCain cares two hoots about the people of Syria. IMO he cares as much about them as he cares about the Americans he’s happy to send in harm’s way. Frankly I think McCain has been desperately looking for a cause that will temper his ignominious defeat at the hands of PBO in the history books.

• 32 nathkatun7
          March 6, 2012 at 12:49 am

I agree with you, CTGirl! People are tired of wars! The GOP candidates are so eager to start new wars because they know that very few, if any, of the people in their class will ever be called on to sacrifice by sending their children to the war front. I am proud to have voted for a President who doesn’t take lightly the idea of sending young men and women — that is to say other people’s children– to war.

• 33 yardarm756
        March 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

It’s a good thing McCain/Palin aren’t in the WH. We’d be doin’ the camo boogie with boots on the ground going after “WMD’s”.

5. March 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

photo/1

/repost

6. 40 yardarm756
    March 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

The manatee with a microphone is caught in a net of his own making. If he doesn’t surface he will drown in his own pool of excrement!

7. March 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

good going Chips!!!

8. 42 Lorraine
    March 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I love those signs! I pray the meeting with the President and Prime Minister went well.

9. 43 Pamela
    March 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

LUNCHTIME! love the profile shot of PBO, too bad the other guy is looking right at us! Photoshop him out! ;)

10. 45 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

THE MEDIA IS ALREADY RUNNING SEGMENTS OF NETANYAHU STATING ISRAEL’S SOVEREIGN RIGHT TO DEFEND ITS OWN…PUNDITS ADDING THAT HE PROBABLY DOES NOT TRUST PBO TO DO ANYTHING! THE USUAL IN A REPUBLICAN MEDIA RESPONSE WITH THEIR TWISTED JOURNALISM!

11. March 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Is it me or does it seem a bit chilly in OH? It’s 78 in my neck of the woods. (26C for our metric friends.)

• 47 utaustinliberal
      March 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm

It’s 78 in my neck of the woods too! Jinx—–you owe me a coke – it’s not really a jinx – but you still owe me a coke. And yes, OH looks a little Brrrrrr…..today.

March 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh my…what cold necks you have! I haven’t checked but I would imagine that my neck is 98.6 F, pretty much on par with the rest of my body.

12. 49 Ladyhawke
    March 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Eric Cantor Compares Contraceptive Mandate to Kosher Food

By Nicole Belle

================================

I think the Republicans know they overreached this time with the contraceptive debate and the Blunt Amendment. But being a Republican means never having to say you’re sorry. You obfuscate, you reframe the debate into something more favorable to you, you dismiss the concerns of the majority of Americans, but you never, ever say you’re sorry.

===============================

13. 50 eveingeorgia
    March 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Ahh…beautiful Michelle. My favorite picture. Thank for posting, Chips.

14. March 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Née Suffolk poll out just now, has Santorum up 4 on Ohio!
    So, he is hanging in there.
    I know we all hate him, but we must prolong this primary, for many different reasons!

15. March 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

INDIANAPOLIS, IN — Energy Secretary Steven Chu today announced that four new corporate partners – Best Buy, Johnson Controls, Pacific Gas and Electric, and Veolia – are joining the Energy Department’s National Clean Fleets Partnership, a broad public-private partnership that assists the nation’s largest fleet operators in reducing the amount of gasoline and diesel they use nationwide. The new partners announced today join with 14 other major national companies in committing to improve the fuel economy of the commercial fleets, integrate alternative technology vehicles like natural gas trucks and electric vehicles into their fleets, and reduce their overall fuel use.  Collectively, the National Clean Fleets Partners operate more than a million commercial vehicles nationwide, accounting for more than 12 percent of all commercial vehicles on American roads.

Secretary Chu announced the new partners at Green Truck Summit in Indianapolis, Indiana, during which he discussed the Obama Administration’s investments in fuel-efficient technologies for commercial vehicles and truck fleets.

• 59 Ladyhawke
        March 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Amazing things are happening under the radar. Our energizer bunny president and his administration just keep going and going and going. They are a marvel. And sadly, they just don’t get the credit they deserve for actually governing and getting things done for the American people. Secretary Chu is one of my favorite cabinet members. I still remember when President Obama announced his appointment. When I heard that he was a scientist I was thrilled and impressed. How cool is that? And just remembering what he did during the Gufl oil spill is remarkable. He is a treasure.

• March 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

They can’t get any credit, because of all the GOP noise!

• 61 Debz
            March 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm

It would help if there was someone to “report” the news, oh, wait….
            This administration has accomplished so much, but none of it is reported, since it has nothing to do with the next election. Secretary Chu is a treasure.

• 62 utaustinliberal
          March 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Sec. Chu is so brilliant, so smart, so talented and just blows my mind away. Wasn’t it he and his team who discovered how to fix the blow out that caused the BP oil spill in the first place?

• 64 nathkatun7
          March 6, 2012 at 1:11 am

“Secretary Chu is one of my favorite cabinet members.” He is also my favorite too, Ladyhawke! He is one of those Obama Administration people who “speak softly” while carrying ” a big stick.” This “No Drama” administration will go down in history as one of the most accomplished administrations in getting things done.

• 65 defytheodds
      March 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Newt Gingrich on Thursday called on President Barack Obama to fire Energy Secretary Steven Chu… :)

• 66 nathkatun7
        March 6, 2012 at 1:23 am

Newt Gingrich is delusional! I doubt that any sane person seriously cares what Newt says.

• March 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm

that is a BFD LL!

16. 68 SueBee
    March 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I don’t trust Netanyahu The people of Israel don’t want a war either. When he comes to the US to speak, it makes me wonder if he is the fricken Co-President of the United States. I wish no harm on Israel, but we can’t afford to go into another war, our soldiers are tired and wounded, mentally and physically. I know President Obama will figure all of this out, I trust him.

17. March 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm

With damning evidence such as this, of course Breitbart was assassinated!

Tonight, Breitbart’s fearless heirs have unleashed the BREITBARTOCALYPSE! And Barack Hussein Obama can only cower in terror.

The earth-shattering scoop that will blow this baby wide open can now be revealed: 14 years ago Obama attended a play in Chicago.

Yes! A play!

The subject of this nefarious play: the dreaded Saul Alinsky.

Excuse me while I clean water off of my monitor.

Story here: http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/40015_Everything_Is_Different_Now_-_the_Breitbartocalypse_Is_Upon_Us

18. 71 defytheodds
    March 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm
  19. March 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Republicans have seized on rising gas prices as a political weapon against President Obama. The White House, sensing peril in the attacks as the election gets closer, has mounted a plan to fight back. And rather than simply playing defense, officials believe they can win the messaging war, tough as that may seem, by defending Obama’s record and exploiting weaknesses in the GOP energy platform.

“If drilling were the answer, we wouldn’t be having this conversation, because under the president production is up,” a White House official told TPM. “Our oil imports are down, and even Republicans have conceded we’re in a domestic energy boom.”

The GOP messaging plan has been to paint Obama on the wrong side of energy independence. From speeches to Capitol stakeouts to op-eds, top Republicans have been hammering this notion on a daily basis over the last few weeks, blaming the president for rising gas prices and citing his rejection of the Keystone pipeline and various other House GOP deregulation bills as evidence that he opposes domestic energy production.

March 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Check Nintendo’s post with the video above. There is a treasure trove of FOX News pundits claiming that gas prices have NOTHING to do with the President!!! The same ones who say something completely different now….

• 80 Ladyhawke
      March 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm

THE CFTC CAN’T IMPLEMENT DODD-FRANK GUIDELINES RELATING TO HIGH GAS PRICES AND SPECULATION BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING SUED BY WALL STREET

Speculators and Commodity Prices—Redux

Commissioner Bart Chilton

February 24, 2012

On March 16, 2011, I spoke to an industry group concerning the impact of speculative activity on commodity prices. Eleven months later, I’m still talking about it, and saying almost precisely the same thing. Speculators are necessary liquidity providers to our markets, and while they perhaps are not driving prices to uneconomic levels, they certainly have an effect on prices—above and beyond where they might otherwise go—and American consumers and taxpayers are shouldering that burden.

President Obama spoke about rising gas prices yesterday. You can’t turn on the television or the radio without hearing about record high gas prices, and yet the CFTC has not yet been able to implement Congressionally-mandated position limits to put the brakes on excessive speculation in oil and other commodity markets. Meanwhile, trade associations representing Wall Street interests have sued us in federal court in order to impede our imposition of position limits.

So, I find myself repeating—and repeating—the same message: it’s high time to kick it in gear and use the one tool we have to appropriately address high oil and gas prices.

March 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Here’s my attempt to slip in a plug for HZ’s parade replacement idea (typo included :( )

March 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I addressed the suggestion to Maddow & Joining Forces. I figured if states, cities, towns or … focused around a chosen date they could all offer help of the type suggested by HZ recently, and picked up by Bobfr. Working on specific needs of vets would have more lasting for local vets I think. Parades are one day events that probably have greater impact for the watchers than for those being honoured.

Feel free to retweet if any of this makes any sense to you.

21. 88 CTGirl
    March 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Obama To Host G-8 Leaders At Camp David On May 18-19
    President Obama will host G-8 leaders at Camp David on May 18 and 19. Here’s the White House’s full release:

March 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm

OWS is planning a huge protest in Chicago for the g-8 summit in May.

• 90 Jessica
        March 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm

*Heavy sigh* What are the protesting exactly? Afghanistan? Income equality? Throwing bankster in jail?

I’m not against protesting and speaking out but something about them completely rubs me the wrong way. And I’ll never respect them for the smoke bomb-throwing incident on the Obamas anniversary when they wasn’t even home.

• 91 utaustinliberal
      March 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Wow. PBO’s May is shaping up to be a busy busy one. He has two commencement addresses, – one at Barnard College and the other at a high school in Joplin, MO – Then G8 and some other stuff I forget.

22. 92 ChristiMTL
    March 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

BREAKING: @Sears will also end all advertising on Rush Limbaugh. That’s #11.

• 93 donna dem 4 obama
      March 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Yep Yep!!

“Update: Sears and Kmart did not intentionally advertise on the Rush Limbaugh show. Sears Holdings has taken actions to ensure our ads do not run on this show. We appreciate our customers, fans and followers and thank you for your business.”

• March 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm

that’s the ticket! Another great getting up day in TOD world. Keep it coming. It’d be something if it was a young lady who finally took down Flush Limpblah. She, with a little help of her sistas, would have done what many before her have tried, but failed to do. To think, her name will now be in the history books. Somebody gotta tell the ‘Pubs, when you’re in a hole….stop digging.

• 97 susanne
        March 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm

oh, yeah! and it’s a perfect opportunity for companies to say, ‘hey, in case you were wondering, we never have advertised with that slug, and we sure would never start after this!

• 98 CTGirl
      March 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

drip, drip :-)

• 99 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        March 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm

WE CERTAINLY HAVE TO KEEP GOING…CNN JUST ANNOUNCED THERE IS A BACKLOG OF ADVERTISERS THAT WANT TO BACK…………RL…..FILL IN THE BLANKS!

• March 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

That’s a big one Christi and may generate more followers. Good news.

• March 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

“And then the King spake: Render onto Sears what is Sears’, for what profited a man to gain a color television set and lose his soul, brother ….”

The Begatting of the President

• 102 lovingandlaughing
      March 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm

fabulous!

• 103 vitaminlover
      March 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Hooray!

23. 104 CTGirl
    March 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The nation’s first lady was greeted Monday afternoon at the Kansas City International Airport by gusts of wind and nine active service members from the Missouri Army National Guard, along with their families.

24. March 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Israel is probably going to strike Iran and it’s not going to be pretty. It very well could slow our already shaky economy and I expect gas prices to spike even more.

But the big fear isn’t necessarily the strikes themselves but what come after those strikes. It’s entirely possible they just don’t work – that, at the end of the day, the nuclear program is still intact. Then what?

This is a mess. I understand Israel has to defend itself. But this is a monumental decision that will impact the entire globe – from the economy to potential peace. It’s going to be a mess if they strike and it will definitely play a role in November’s elections if things get out of hand quickly.

It’s scary to think that one nation, one guy really, might have the power to decide who’ll be our next president. Yet, that’s exactly the power Netanyahu holds in his hands. With one stroke of the pen, he can cripple Obama’s reelection chances. I think Obama knows this and I think the Republicans know this. It’s why Romney is out there supporting bombing because it will cause a ripple effect that’ll potentially sweep him into office.

Sad times. Here’s for the best outcome.

• 109 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      March 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT IT THIS WAY…IF NETANYAHU ACTS ON HIS OWN AND CREATES CHAOS…HE HAS ALREADY BEEN WARNED BY PBO NOT TO. PRESIDENT OBAMA IS ALREADY WAY AHEAD OF HIM MAKING THAT STATEMENT PUBLIC! IT CERTAINLY WON’T DO ANY WONDERS FOR OUR ECONOMY…HOWEVER…I BELIEVE PEOPLE WILL SEE THAT THESE ARE A RESULT OF NETANYAHU’S ACTIONS…NOT OUR PRESIDENT! THE REPUBLICANS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN WAR MONGERS…NO GREAT CHANGE IN THAT ARENA!

• 110 CTGirl
        March 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

He risks isolation and that is not fun for anyone but as President Obama said,, Israel is in a pretty tough neighborhood, so isolation would not be good.

• 112 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        March 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm

THE GOOD THING IS NETANYAHU SAID ISRAEL WANTS TO DEFEND ITS OWN COUNTRY…PBO OFFERED OUR AID…THAT’S AS FAR AS YOU CAN GO! PBO DID HIS JOB! MY GUESS IS WITH PUTIN IN POWER…YOU’LL FIND RUSSIA RUNNING OVER TO IRAN!

• 113 CTGirl
      March 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

It won’t work. They need us to make it happen, we have the bunker busters. The only concern I have is the US being pulled into this mess.

• March 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm

That’s my concern as well. A lot of people from our side will push us toward helping Israel if they decide to bomb Iran. What’s interesting is that I read a poll the other day that 80% (possibly more) of Israelis do not support Israel going it alone. So, I think Netanyahu has to convince Obama to do it and I’m not sure Obama will be so easily persuaded.

• March 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I dont think they will bomb iran. this is not a popular idea in isreal. nethowyoudo is blustering and has been since pbo has been in office. he doesn’t like pbo and wanted the repub in ofc. when pbo said he doesn’t bluff, he was talking to nethowyoudo too. pbo dont play that and he got this. pay no mind to the talkies you see on the teevee machine, they need something to ‘chicken little’ about.

• 122 Desraye
      March 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I hope your crystal ball is wrong.

• 124 Brit
      March 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Israel will strike Iran, and we need to not get involved with those strikes. The President has to let Israel go to war by themselves.

• 125 nospin
      March 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm

“It’s scary to think that one nation, one guy really, might have the power to decide who’ll be our next president. Yet, that’s exactly the power Netanyahu holds in his hands. With one stroke of the pen, he can cripple Obama’s reelection chances.”

Not even close. Bibi is a grown assed man and can certainly do what he wants to do. However, the only group he will affect with one strike of a pen is his own people. He and his country will be on their own with Iran and that is how it should be.

The thought that Bibi’s immaturity could cripple PO’s re-election chances because he wants to go to war is pure Grade A bullshyte.

and I mean that in the most respectful way.

• March 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm

As I said to someone else, don’t underestimate the potential ramifications of a decision like this.

Yes, Israel would get the brunt of the blame, but it could impact our economy here at home, raise gas prices and potentially put the ME on the cusp of all out war.

• March 5, 2012 at 6:36 pm

It’s almost too terrifying to contemplate, DI, if Israel carry through with this the consequences for the whole damn world – politically, economically, in every way imaginable – would be beyond dire. I cling to the hope that it’s all bluff, but with someone like Netanyahu you just never know. I honestly think this guy and his saber-rattling are as big a threat to the world right now than anything Ahmadinejad is doing. The whole thing is horrific.

• 128 nospin
          March 5, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I still call bull puckey.

Who gives a crap what Bibi wants to do? Everything “could” impact our economy so this is no different. I have absolutely NO FEAR on this issue. None. PO is unlike his predecessors especially on this. I have complete confidence in the fact that if Bibi decides to break bad and start a war, he will have to do it on his own and he knows it. If this drives up gas prices. . . so be it. War in the ME isn’t new and it won’t start or end under this President. So I am not buying the tactic of putting it on PO’s shoulder.

Under this administration we have become less dependent on foreign oil so increased gas prices would drive increased support for the need to do more on energy.

There is absolutely no need for hand wringing on this issue. None. Not under this administration.

That said, good to see you Drunken Irishman.

• 130 Betsy
      March 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I may not trust Bibi Netanyahu but I do trust PBO and the other leadership in Israel. Simon Peres, and that lady, etc. I don’t think Bibi has the ability to ruin PBO’s re-election as I don’t think the voting public is swayed by what Israel does, except for the far right.

• March 6, 2012 at 12:08 am

My biggest fear isn’t the attacks themselves. It’s the potential of it leading to a major slump in the economy and a peak of gas prices that could create this malaise feeling that ultimately weighs on American minds when they head to the polls this November.

It’s entirely possible I am overthinking this and a quick attack amounts to nothing and it’s entirely possible Israel does nothing and allows the sanctions to do their job. But I think with the stakes as high as they are this election season, I panic over any potential pitfall. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be negative and I absolutely trust Obama and don’t expect him to kowtow Israel on this one. But if they even go it alone, what impact will that have on everything from gas prices, Middle East stability and the economy? It might not have an impact at all – then again…

25. 132 CEB
    March 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Well, Bibi’s attitude is a big change from the last time that he was here. Ummmm, I wonder why (not really)?

26. 133 collegekay
    March 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I don’t trust Netanyahu at all! I do trust my President though!

• 134 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      March 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm

ONE THING TO ALWAYS REMEMBER ABOUT ISRAEL…GOD WILL PROTECT IT NO MATTER WHO IS IN THE RING!

• 135 Lorraine
        March 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Tis true! Tis true!

• 136 luci1119
        March 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Amen :-)

• March 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Are you sure ?

Ever read (what we Christians call) the Old Testament ?

Don’t second guess God.

Parts of Israel survived (e.g., the Babylonian exile) – but most of it was destroyed and had to be rebuild.

Let me say this – and let us make no mistake about it (sigh, another quote from “The Begatting of the President”):

In the spring of 2006 I returned from the GNU Compilers Summit in Ottawa, just in time to be scared s**tless by the bombardments to Haifa, home to all the beautiful people from IBM’s Lab there – fortunately, no one I knew got hurt, but it was excruciating …

Who again said: “As a commander in chief, I prefer peace over war” ?

• March 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Hopefully God will look after the people of Israel, Palestine, Iran and every country under threat of war. Surely believers accept they’re all His children?

• 139 nospin
          March 5, 2012 at 10:34 pm

See Chips. That is where I am on this. Eye to Eye.

What about ALL the people involved because the God I serve cares for ALL his children. Bibi needs to grow up and Israel and Iran should work it out. However they decide to do that (i.e. Bibi starting a war instead of trying to work through a peaceful process) and everyone else should stay out of it.

27. March 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm

The Deep Resentment of Having to Think About It: Rush Limbaugh and Sandra Fluke

A popular exercise among High School creative writing teachers in America is to ask students to imagine they have been transformed, for a day, into someone of the opposite sex, and describe what that day might be like. The results, apparently, are uncannily uniform. The girls all write long and detailed essays that clearly show they have spent a great deal of time thinking about the subject. Half of the boys usually refuse to write the essay entirely. Those who do make it clear they have not the slightest conception what being a teenage girl might be like, and deeply resent having to think about it.”

–David Graeber, “Beyond Power/Knowledge: An Exploration of power, ignorance and stupidity”

This is a small point, but still worth making: Rush Limbaugh didn’t attack Sandra Fluke because of her or anyone else’s sexual behavior. Given his personal history — and his more general ideological proclivities — it’s fair to say that he is vigorously protective of behaviors which are, as a function of what they are, fundamentally dependent on women who behave precisely in the manner of the straw-woman he is attacking. That’s not what this is about. Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a “slut” because she asserted her right to speak publicly about and make publicly thinkable a set of experiences and problems that he has a very direct and personal interest in excluding from public space

The broader ideological question which Congress was ostensibly discussing — the question of whether a religious institution can object to covering forms of medical care on the basis of religious belief — is also a red herring. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity neither know, nor care, about the intricate and unstable conjunction of government, insurance, and medicine that might make this a tricky debate if grown-ups were ever to debate it. And the fact that Limbaugh doesn’t even understand how female contraception works doesn’t diminish his rhetorical position a whit. On the contrary, he is defending precisely his right not to know how it works (or what things like Ovarian Cysts are), and the right of those for and to whom he speaks to be similarly ignorant. He is defending his right for that to be a woman’s problem, one which he (and a “we” constituted in his image, as his public) doesn’t need to be concerned. And so he needs to attack Sandra Fluke, personally, all the more because she wasn’t even going to talk about herself. By speaking on behalf of “women,” she threatened to render “women” a member of the body politic. Slut-shaming her — making it about her, personally — changes the subject from a generalizable woman’s public concern to a specific set of personal desires (which he can then moralize about, and use to silence her).

28. 142 defytheodds
    March 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm
  29. 144 Linda
    March 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Breaking News….The first radio station to drop him…in Hawaii….EXCELLENT…
    we have to keep the pressure up to rid America of this pox…

30. 149 CEB
    March 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Love the signs; they do not hold back do they? I especially like the Republicans for Obama signs.

31. 150 Ladyhawke
    March 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm

WHO’S ON FIRST, I DON’T KNOW, THIRD BASE

A leadership team divided against itself

By Steve Benen

=====================

The larger point to all of this isn’t just a clash of personalities; it’s that the House Republican leadership appears to be so dysfunctional, we haven’t seen anything like it since House GOP members tried to launch a coup against then-Speaker Newt Gingrich in the late 1990s.

The takeaway from all of this is simple: it’s a caucus lacking leadership. There’s no grown-up in the room, offering the caucus guidance and a steady hand.

We talked last week about the fact that rank-and-file House Republicans no longer feel like there’s anyone in charge in the chamber, and there’s no shortage of evidence to bolster the thesis.

====================

32. 151 ChristiMTL
    March 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hey guys, I wanted to follow someone on twitter but for the life of me, I can’t remember her name.

She’s one of many who started a campaign to stop Rush Limbaugh.
    She’s often on Martin Brashir
    Rush Limbaugh attacked her in the past
    Pretty woman, supporter of President Obama

Anyone?

March 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I’m glad that Tweety is shining a spotlight on Mitt Romney and his glaring refusal to condemn Rush Limbaugh’s attacks on Sandra Fluke.

• 164 nospin
      March 5, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Tweety is only interested in creating drama in an otherwise boring race and he said as much.

• 165 utaustinliberal
        March 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm

But I’m still glad he’s being relentless on having a laser focus on Romney. Other pundits especially the morning & afternoon crew – excluding Martin Bashir – seem to love shielding Romney.

34. 166 ChristiMTL
    March 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm

People are going after Netflix on twitter.

”If @Netflix doesn’t pull their ads from the Rush Limbaugh Show by the end of this week I will end 4+yrs subscription”

”@netflix You are supporting hate speech. Please don’t ask me to “come back” while you cont. to advertise on that Limbaugh show.”

No response from them so far.

One by one, they’re going to drop…….

35. March 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

OT, so a Hawaii station has dropped Limbaugh…anymore stations to come?

Or how soon before Limbaugh slams Hawaii for being Obama’s home state.

• March 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

The sound you hear is of me alternately smashing a hammer on my head, and then laughing uncontrollably.

Ann, honey. You have a driver. You’re rich.

• 177 utaustinliberal
        March 5, 2012 at 6:17 pm

It’s as though she and Mitt compete for open mouth insert foot prize of the day. It’s like last weekend’s SNL skit of the Romneys where fake Chris Wallace asked them if their feet were made of chocolate that they just love inserting them into their mouths over and over again with moronic out of touch statements.

March 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Yup…that’s the person who would make a “great First Lady” as per Barbara Bush!!!

• 179 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      March 5, 2012 at 5:39 pm

OH BOY…OH BOY…GOSH AND GEE WHIZ…I AM SPEECHLESS ON THIS ONE MRS. ‘ONE CADILLAC FOR EACH FOOT’ ROMNEY!

March 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Ann Romney sounds as stupid as her husband, they make a great pair. And one more thing, I want to let Barbara Bush know that we already have a great First Lady, Mrs. Michelle Obama, she is much better than either Bushes.

• March 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

$350M and she doesn’t feel wealthy. What a clueless, heartless freak.

March 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm

‘It can be here today and gone tomorrow’

Is that why you and Willard try to hide it offshore, Anne? Or why you both along with your lawyers try so hard not to pay a fair share to help rebuild America?

36. 187 Linda
    March 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Allstate Insurance becomes 12th company to drop Limbaugh

37. 188 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

HOPEFULLY…LIMPBALL’S JOB WILL BE AT STAKE AFTER HIS BACK-UP ADVERTISER POSSIBLES HAVE BACKED OUT! UNTIL THAT IS DISSOLVED…HE’LL KEEP RUNNING THAT INSULTING CAVE HE CALLS A MOUTH!

38. 191 Linda
    March 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Did anyone see Rob Portman smirking about Rush on Hardball ?

39. 193 Ladyhawke
    March 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm

UPDATE: 12 ADVERTISERS DROP RUSH

==================================

Rush Limbaugh’s Advertisers Facing Social Media Firestorm

• 194 utaustinliberal
      March 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Rush has opened a can of worms and it ain’t stopping. In this case “Hell hath no fury like women unjustly scorned.”

40. March 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm

y’all should love this, Rush’s last attempt at damage control
    “Rappers are Worse”…..

What is it with conservative and rappers? Nevermind that in today music world, their own children are the ones buying all the rap albums. If I remember correctly, the majority of rap music is bought by white youth…right?

So this “double standard” ain’t gonna impress anyone.

41. March 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm

It’s too early, but I’m gonna predict that Romney will win in Ohio. One because if most of the polls he’s ahead in Catholic votes over Santorum and that should make up for any evangelical voters that Santorum has.

One advantage that Mitt will not have this time is that there is no ealry voting in the Ohio primary so the people who gets their voters to the polls will win.

Anybody else have guesses? I’m doing it today because I don’t plan to watch it tomorrow.

• March 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Last week, I read an article that said Santorum has not gotten on the ballot in some of the Districts in Ohio so no doubt Romney will take Ohio. Too bad. I want to see these primaries drag out for a very long time.

March 5, 2012 at 6:07 pm

CAUGHT ON TAPE: Romney Says Massachusetts Reform Could Serve As A Model For The Nation

I guess when you are a serial LIAR, this stuff gets so hard to keep track of…..

43. March 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Man, it’s been a while since I watched Waiting to Exhale, but damn if Ms Angela Bassett didn’t to the damn thing when she was putting her husband’s stuff in that car…”Get your S..Get your S..and get the F… out!”

44. 202 Frenchie08
    March 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Just got back from the Jazz Museum on 18th and Vine in Kansas City where I introduced the First Lady, Medhelle Obama. There were about 400 people at this fundraising event. It was just awesome! I spent most of the time trying to keep the butterfiles out of my stomach. I was escorted to the VIP section where I met all of these very important people and wondered what in the world had I done to me among this corwd! They had paid a great deal to be there and I was there by invitation.

I got in line to have my picture taken . I came face to face with the First Lady. Let me tell you Michelle is sooooooo beautiful!!!! The camera does NOT do her justice. We are both tall and we both had on the SAME color skirt – green. When I went to hug her, I just could not help it. I just got teary. She has the most beautiful deep eyes and they are TRULY the mirror to her loving soul. NOBODY hugs like Michelle!

I had to wait in the wings until it was time to introduce her. I just knew someone was going to go before me to prepare the way. That did NOT happen! They pointed at me and said go! I said now and they said yes! I don’t know what carried me on ot that stage, but there I was.

I told my story about how my husband had been denied coverage for his emergency heart procedure because we had not called in advance even though he was in our car at the time and transported by paramedics. It took us months to get the insurance to pay. I said that is why we must make sure this President is reelected to keep Health Care reform safe because no one should have to go through this. I also paraise Michelle for her efforts for Let’s Move, and veterans. When I left the stage, Michelle hugged me again and said, your really did it girl! I was floating for the rest of her remarks.

It was a great day!

• March 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Beautiful Frenchie. Thank You. Any pics?

• 204 nospin
        March 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

would that be before or after she picked herself up off the floor after being hugged not once but twice from our FLOTUS? lololol

• March 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Ah Frenchie, my heart is thumping! What a completely beautiful report on a beautiful day. And your description of FLOTUS was just gorgeous. Absolutely thrilled for you, what a memory to treasure. I need to lie down after that!

PS Frenchie, would you post this comment in the new thread so everyone sees it? Thanks a million.

March 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Frenchie08, I am so, so, so, so, so, happy for you . You got to meet our wonderful First Lady. Thank you for the recap.

• 207 lovingandlaughing
      March 5, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Frenchie!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I am so proud and happy for you. wonderful news.

• March 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I got goosebumps just reading your story Frenchie. I am so very jealous. Congratulations. There is no way I could have done what you did.

• 209 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      March 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Oh Frenchie!!!! How fantastic. Am thrilled for you and your husband.

Congratulations!!!

#LandslideOBAMA2012 …. Let’s Get It Done!

March 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm

You did a good job, I’m sure, Frenchie! What an experience and what a memory you’ll always have! :lol: :lol:

ps: I can still see your fingers shaking as you write though. :)

• 212 sjterrid
      March 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Congratulations Frenchie, what a honor. I’m so glad you had a chance to speak and get a hug from FLOTUS, Michelle Obama. I don’t know how you did this, I would be a nervous wreck.

• 213 geeja
      March 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

So proud and happy !!! Good job!!

45. 214 Necie4010
    March 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hello, my good and faithful friends here at the TOD! Mittens was in my neck of the works today. I live about ten minutes from Youngstown! I was at work so I missed the festivities at the plant, but there were a few of my good friends out there I see!!!! I just know Mitt lied his behind off, but in this Valley we aren’t buying it..this is most definitely OBAMA COUNTRY!!! Have a blessed day everyone…smooches to all my friends here at the best site on the web!!! Much love!